PDA

View Full Version : Cory Redding for Julian Peterson is done.

SaintsFanForLife
03-14-2009, 12:39 PM
According to FOXSports.com, via Tom Kowalski of Mlive.com, the deal that will send defensive tackle Cory Redding from Detroit to Seattle for linebacker Julian Peterson is done. http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/03/report_lions_deal_redding_to_s.html

Xiomera
03-14-2009, 12:43 PM
I love the trade. Redding is insanely overpaid. He was a product of playing next to Shaun Rogers.

Peterson will start at SLB for us I'd imagine.

As for draft implications, I think this lessens the possibility of us taking Aaron Curry. I also think it makes DT a top priority for either the 20th or 33rd pick. Peria Jerry at 20 is my new target.

Thunder&Lightning
03-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Interesting deal. Knocks off the chances of seattle getting Raji and Detroit taking Curry at #1.

bearsfan_51
03-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Julian Peterson is overpaid too. An odd trade but maybe a change of scenery will help both players.

Brent
03-14-2009, 12:47 PM
I love the trade.
It's a good move for both teams, for sure.

cc360
03-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Overpaid player traded for overpaid player. Seahawks get a pick.

Seems like an OK deal for both teams. I think I also read that Redding will restructure his deal, but I'm not sure if it's true or not.

Peterson was a good player, but he did a couple things that just annoyed the hell out of me. Doesn't wrap up, not a great run stopper, not great at covering TEs, undisciplined. He was a better DE for Seattle than LB.

TitanHope
03-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Jim Schwartz just got his Keith Bulluck for Detroit.

Xiomera
03-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Julian Peterson is overpaid too. An odd trade but maybe a change of scenery will help both players.

I don't know his contract status, but I doubt he's as overpaid as Redding.

Redding's 7 year, 49 million dollar contract made him the highest paid DT at the time. That's absurd.

Redding agreed to restructure his contract though. Good deal all around.

NOW GO GET CUTLER!

senormysterioso
03-14-2009, 12:54 PM
it will be nice to see redding motivated again

Xiomera
03-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Martin Mayhew is proving to be a very good trader in the NFL.

Now let's see how good he is at drafting . . .

cc360
03-14-2009, 12:57 PM
Peterson will count about $9M vs the cap in 2009, and almost $10M in 2010. He's pricey.

And he's on the wrong side of 30.

abaddon41_80
03-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Peterson is also the best 4-3 OLB in the league while Redding is a barely above average DT. The Lions have gotten the better end of two trades in the past year, now, as opposed the 0 in the decade before that.

cc360
03-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Peterson is not the best 4-3 OLB in the league. That's false.

jballa838
03-14-2009, 01:04 PM
Peterson is also the best 4-3 OLB in the league while Redding is a barely above average DT. The Lions have gotten the better end of two trades in the past year, now, as opposed the 0 in the decade before that.
and that got us all of 4 wins last year. We need a pass rush, and Redding has a solid motor when he is healthy.

TitanHope
03-14-2009, 01:05 PM

Hmm, sounds like I need to update my "Keith Bulluck > all other 4-3 LB's" study again... ;)

Matthew Jones
03-14-2009, 01:05 PM
This trade doesn't make a lot of sense - I mostly expected both teams to just cut the players. That makes more sense financially too, since I doubt either team wants to keep those players at the contracts they have. Also, it ruins their abilities to make smokescreens - Detroit can be pretty much eliminated from the Aaron Curry sweepstakes (which hurts their chances of trading down) and Seattle can be eliminated from the B.J. Raji sweepstakes (which hurts their chances of trading down.) The Seahawks doing this means they're very likely to target Aaron Curry, but could be forced to either take a pretty substantial hit to their linebacker corps or cough up some extra picks (and potentially high ones) to move up one or two picks (potentially aiding the Rams, who are a division rival) to select Curry.

LOLitsTomBrady
03-14-2009, 01:10 PM
This trade doesn't make a lot of sense - I mostly expected both teams to just cut the players. That makes more sense financially too, since I doubt either team wants to keep those players at the contracts they have. Also, it ruins their abilities to make smokescreens - Detroit can be pretty much eliminated from the Aaron Curry sweepstakes (which hurts their chances of trading down) and Seattle can be eliminated from the B.J. Raji sweepstakes (which hurts their chances of trading down.) The Seahawks doing this means they're very likely to target Aaron Curry, but could be forced to either take a pretty substantial hit to their linebacker corps or cough up some extra picks (and potentially high ones) to move up one or two picks (potentially aiding the Rams, who are a division rival) to select Curry.

not quite poopy pants

Arron Curry can play MLB which would justify paying him 60 million dollars. Lions still have no one who can play the middle

cc360
03-14-2009, 01:13 PM
It's not as big as a hit to the Seahawks LB core as you think. The Seahawks made it to the super bowl with Hill, Tatupu and Lewis playing LB. Hell I think Hill is better than Peterson.

Seahawks could just sign Derrick Brooks on the cheap for a quick stop gap. The Seahawks new DC is from Tampa Bay.

Matthew Jones
not quite poopy pants

Arron Curry can play MLB which would justify paying him 60 million dollars. Lions still have no one who can play the middle

No one is going to take a middle linebacker in the top five of a draft. Remember Patrick Willis? 6'2", 240 or so, ran in the 4.3s, #11.

abaddon41_80
and that got us all of 4 wins last year. We need a pass rush, and Redding has a solid motor when he is healthy.

and Cory Redding helped the Lions get how many wins last year? All of my bias as a 49er fan aside, JP is a top 3 4-3 OLB at worst and Redding isn't even in the top half of the league when it comes to starting defensive tackles. Redding is also only two years younger than JP. This trade is so stupid for the Seahawks I thought it was a joke when I first heard about it this morning.

GB12
03-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Peterson is also the best 4-3 OLB in the league

Hahaha, no.

TitanHope
03-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Jim Schwartz does not place much value on the MLB position. Actually, it probably ranks 13th on his priorities, right behind Nickelback.

LOLitsTomBrady
03-14-2009, 01:17 PM
No one is going to take a middle linebacker in the top five of a draft. Remember Patrick Willis? 6'2", 240 or so, ran in the 4.3s, #11.

no one will take a MLB in the top 5 yet Curry is projected to go either 1st or 2nd as an OLB? Your logic is flawed friend

Matthew Jones
03-14-2009, 01:19 PM
no one will take a MLB in the top 5 yet Curry is projected to go either 1st or 2nd as an OLB? Your logic is flawed friend

Except that outside linebackers actually, you know, DO get drafted in the top five. See LaVar Arrington and AJ Hawk, who were both drafted to play outside.

LOLitsTomBrady
03-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Except that outside linebackers actually, you know, DO get drafted in the top five. See LaVar Arrington and AJ Hawk, who were both drafted to play outside.

oh shut up

Saints-Tigers
03-14-2009, 01:27 PM
I like this a lot for the Lions.

coordinator0
03-14-2009, 01:39 PM
I think it's funny how both sides are trying to make it seem like it was a win for their team and a bad deal for the other... I think it's a smart move by both sides.

Xiomera
03-14-2009, 01:44 PM
I just enjoy the fact that the Lions added a playmaker to the defense. We didn't have anyone capable of doing anything out of the ordinary previously.

Matthew Jones
03-14-2009, 01:48 PM
oh shut up

I'm just saying it doesn't happen. Teams don't go for MLBs in the first five picks. Chris Claiborne (#9 overall) is the highest-draft ILB in the last ten years to my knowledge (Jerod Mayo would be second at #10), while there have been numerous outside linebackers taken ahead of that. There's not much of a premium placed on inside guys. I think Curry could play inside for Kansas City, but I also think if there was a top 'tweener (I don't see Orakpo as being one), they'd rather take that guy.

BradysKnee
03-14-2009, 01:52 PM
This sounds like a case of GM vs Coach

Schwartz wanted Curry.

GM wanted Stafford.

Trade for Peterson, coach will go for Stafford now.

Calvin & Kevin
03-14-2009, 01:56 PM
This sounds like a case of GM vs Coach

Schwartz wanted Curry.

GM wanted Stafford.

How the hell could you possibly say that? You don't know what you're talking about.

Schwartz wanted linebackers, period. Because the Lions don't have any of those. He tried to sign a couple and failed because it's hard to get guys to come here willingly, so they needed to trade for one.

Prowler
03-14-2009, 01:59 PM
it's dumping a horrible millen made contract by a dt on a team who was either last or next to last in the league in pass and rush defense last year. and detroit had i believe two holes to fill at linebacker to fill a traditional 43. and peterson was just a pro bowler. i can see detroit easily going stafford now that they have some kind of defense. they can feel free to draft for the future instead of just filling out the team.

P-L
03-14-2009, 02:00 PM
This is a good move for both teams, depending on what Redding's new contract looks like.

BRAVEHEART
03-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Mayhew continues to impress me. It's crazy to think we had an idiot like Millen over him.

D-Unit
03-14-2009, 02:02 PM
A WIN for Detroit!
Not for long....

BJ Raji #1 overall pick is now a lock. FAIL.

GB12
03-14-2009, 02:12 PM
A WIN for Detroit!

Not for long....

BJ Raji #1 overall pick is now a lock. FAIL.

How the hell do you figure that. It's not a lock they'll go DT because they traded Cory freakin Redding. It's still going to be Stafford.

PACKmanN
03-14-2009, 02:13 PM
How the hell do you figure that. It's not a lock they'll go DT because they traded Cory freakin Redding. It's still going to be Stafford.

nah, Jason Smith :D

Texas Homer
03-14-2009, 02:41 PM
I like the move for both teams.

Both guys can still play.

America
03-14-2009, 02:50 PM
I'm just saying it doesn't happen. Teams don't go for MLBs in the first five picks. Chris Claiborne (#9 overall) is the highest-draft ILB in the last ten years to my knowledge (Jerod Mayo would be second at #10), while there have been numerous outside linebackers taken ahead of that. There's not much of a premium placed on inside guys. I think Curry could play inside for Kansas City, but I also think if there was a top 'tweener (I don't see Orakpo as being one), they'd rather take that guy.

Wasn't Urlacher #7 or 8?

CC.SD
03-14-2009, 02:54 PM

Logicowned

phlysac
03-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Wasn't Urlacher #7 or 8?

He was picked #9 ... but I believe the Bears had hopes for him as an OLB

E-Man
03-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Seems like both teams getting rid of overpaid baggage. Detroit comes out a little better though because of Peterson's past Pro Bowl appearances.

Number 10
03-14-2009, 02:59 PM
What do Seattle fans think about Curry to Seattle at #4 if he gets past the Chiefs? He is a Mora kind of strong side 'backer.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Good trade for both if Redding plays like he did in last half of 2006 and first half of 2007. 2002-first half of 2006 he wasn't very good while at DE and 2008was not very good either without Shaun Rogers, especially in stopping the run. Seattle still needs a stud DT though to help Redding but he's a good undertackle that can wreak havoc in the backfield just not consistently like a Kevin Williams obviously. Without a run stopping DT next to him, Reddings run defense isn't very good. See 2006 and 2008. However, he is better than Rocky Bernard and is a legitimate starter in the league,cheaper for Seattle and with Tatupu behind him shoud excel.

As for the Lions, we gotta go DT in the draft now because Grady Jackson is our best DT and isn't an every down player. Peria Jerry would be a perfect fit at 20 or Hood/Brace at 33.

Peterson is a huge upgrade over those so called LBs Detroit had last year though(they were more like traffic cones because they got run over or run around so much). Peterson probably has 4-5 years left. He upgrades our pass rush from blitzing tremendously(especially given the RTs in the division Tait retired, Tauscher up in the air and Cook) and given our DEs as only average with White and Avril showing promise, thats a good thing. Plus this opens the door for Stafford instead of Curry. You think Peterson is expensive, Curry will be very costly at number 1.

Texas Homer
03-14-2009, 03:43 PM
Maybe the Seahawks draft Brian Orakpo now.

gpngc
03-14-2009, 04:07 PM
You guys are all grossly overrating JP. He's still a serviceable starter but he's no where near the player he was two years ago and is definitely on the decline. He'll add a pass-rushing threat- and that's huge for Detroit, but his coverage has tailed off (was once the best coverage LB in the league), and he's not very good against the run.

The great thing about this deal for Seattle was the simple fact that they were going to cut him anyway.

I would've been happy just to get the 5th round pick honestly...

Redding re-worked his deal and this move saves the Hawks $4.6 million in cap room right now and A LOT more for the future (JP was scheduled to make a fortune as an old, declining LB for the next three years).

There is little-to-no chance the Seahawks even draft an OLB at all, let alone at #4. Right after this move was made today, the team re-signed D.D. Lewis and Lance Laury- as CC pointed out, Lewis started at OLB in 2005 (their Super Bowl year).

The financial aspect of the move also has to do with not tying up so much $ in three LBs. Now the FO can get to work on giving LeRoy Hill a long-term deal. Extremely doubtful they spend #4 money on Aaron Curry.

Anyone who watched the team can tell you that Hill is easily better than JP right now.

The Lions do get a starting LB and rid themselves of an overpaid contract. As far as draft repercussions, the only impact this deal makes is that now the Lions could go for a DT. Peria Jerry would be an excellent pick at #20 (or maybe even #33) IMO.

As a Seahawks fan I'm happy about the move based mostly on the fact that they were about to cut him anyway, but I'm cautiously optimistic about Redding- you can't get too excited about anyone from that defense. I hope a new environment will get him back to his 2007 form. Brandon Mebane could be his new Shaun Rogers....

no love
03-14-2009, 04:10 PM
What do Seattle fans think about Curry to Seattle at #4 if he gets past the Chiefs? He is a Mora kind of strong side 'backer.

Uh... he is a SAM that ANY coach would love. He is so well rounded which is what makes him such a good prospect.

WMD
03-14-2009, 04:23 PM
I think I like it. Cory Redding hasn't done much since getting his big ass contract.. DT is a must, unless we're gonna swing another trade for a starter there..

So far, I'm liking Mayhew's trades.. hopefully he and his staff are good talent evaluators.

DeathbyStat
03-14-2009, 04:40 PM
Can peterson play DE for the lions some snaps

03-14-2009, 04:46 PM
Can peterson play DE for the lions some snaps

I know he has in the past, I'd probably think so.

Cicero
03-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Anyone who watched the team can tell you that Hill is easily better than JP right now.

True story.

OneToughGame
03-15-2009, 01:30 AM
True story.

Very true.

XxXdragonXxX
03-15-2009, 04:17 AM

Peterson is the best pass rushing 4-3 OLB in the leage. Against the run he doesnt wrap up and is constantly out of position. His pass coverage is below average as well. I like him but he is way overrated, he made pro-bowls based on his sack total and nothing more.

Leroy Hill is a much better LB than Peterson is. Having Mebane, Cole, Redding and Bryant rotating at DT should free up Tatupu and Hill to make more plays like Tubbs did in 2005.

Prowler
03-15-2009, 05:10 AM
he's worlds better than dizon, nece, and paris lenon. plus redding was a bit dinged last year and was pretty much exposed as a fraud for his contract. we gave up 2,754 yards rushing last year......172.1 per game. i know that not all of those were pitches to the outside. redding can be good though provided he's a complimentary piece to a talented defense.

32. Detroit 404.4 yards/game 2754 172.1 rushing per game 3716 232.3 passing per game 517 32.3 pts/game

OneToughGame
03-15-2009, 05:37 AM
he's worlds better than dizon, nece, and paris lenon. plus redding was a bit dinged last year and was pretty much exposed as a fraud for his contract. we gave up 2,754 yards rushing last year......172.1 per game. i know that not all of those were pitches to the outside. redding can be good though provided he's a complimentary piece to a talented defense.

32. Detroit 404.4 yards/game 2754 172.1 rushing per game 3716 232.3 passing per game 517 32.3 pts/game

I think he'll do well in the Seahawks defense.

abaddon41_80
03-15-2009, 08:25 AM
In this thread: Seahawks fans in denial. Face it, the highest the Lions have ranked in run defense since Redding was drafted was 15th and that was obviously because of Shaun Rogers because look what happened without him last year. The Lions had one of the worst run defenses in the history of the NFL last season. Redding is mediocre at best while Peterson is almost Pro Bowl caliber at worst.

XxXdragonXxX
03-15-2009, 02:00 PM
In this thread: Seahawks fans in denial. Face it, the highest the Lions have ranked in run defense since Redding was drafted was 15th and that was obviously because of Shaun Rogers because look what happened without him last year. The Lions had one of the worst run defenses in the history of the NFL last season. Redding is mediocre at best while Peterson is almost Pro Bowl caliber at worst.

Ive been saying Peterson is nothing but a pass rusher for a year now and that Hill is a better LBer. Peterson didnt deserve to be anywhere near the pro-bowl last year, he only had 5 sacks, and getting to the QB is all he does well. He had a great year in 2006, a good year in 2007 and a very mediocre year last year. He's turning 31 in July and this move saves us 4 mill in cap money this year. We got Redding and a 5th for a guy we were going to cut anyway.

Redding might not be all that great, but how can you really judge him with the "talent" he had around him in Detroit? He was the only guy on that line that commanded any sort of attention from opposing OL's. In Seattle he'll be rotating with Mebane, Cole and Bryant. He'll have Tatupu and Hill at LB and Kerney at DE.

Basically what the Lions just did was trade their only decent run stopper for a LBer that is terrible against the run. Unless something else is done, prepare to see an even worse run D for the Lions. They improved their pass rush though.

lionsfan81
03-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Redding might not be all that great, but how can you really judge him with the "talent" he had around him in Detroit? He was the only guy on that line that commanded any sort of attention from opposing OL's. In Seattle he'll be rotating with Mebane, Cole and Bryant. He'll have Tatupu and Hill at LB and Kerney at DE.

Basically what the Lions just did was trade their only decent run stopper for a LBer that is terrible against the run. Unless something else is done, prepare to see an even worse run D for the Lions. They improved their pass rush though.

Well with the "talent" Shaun Rogers had around him he would still dominate opponents, something Redding didn't do except one season. Redding was average every season but 1 when he took over for an injured Rogers and got 8 sacks and a fat contract. Then he went back to an average player, but now is overpaid. If you really think he's an answer at DT you're very wrong. He could be a great 3-4 DE if you ask me though.

But only decent run stopper? I hope you weren't talking about Redding because that is not what he's good at. He can penetrate up into the backfield, but easily gets washed out of plays and misses tackles in the backfield.

And don't you find it a big odd that one of the worst defenses in the NFL on the worst team in NFL History would trade away the only defensive line player who commands attention as you say?? Clearly he was someone we were looking to get rid of and upgrade as he was one of the reasons for us giving up huge rushing yardage.

Crickett
03-15-2009, 02:58 PM
And don't you find it a big odd that one of the worst defenses in the NFL on the worst team in NFL History would trade away the only defensive line player who commands attention as you say??

I know, its wierd. But they still traded him. And now, Shaun Rogers is a Cleveland Brown.

:D

PACKmanN
03-15-2009, 02:58 PM
I think he'll do well in the Seahawks defense.

Ok, but he isn't exactly the typical 4-3 DT. He is on the light side and isn't really good vs. the run. Plus his contract would make it hard for you guys to have him as a rotation player.

thetedginnshow
03-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Ok, but he isn't exactly the typical 4-3 DT. He is on the light side and isn't really good vs. the run. Plus his contract would make it hard for you guys to have him as a rotation player.

I believe they restructured his contract. But in any case, this could give them some versatility, possibly playing him inside as well as outside, and even as a 3-4 DE in their nickel set. Who really knows.

XxXdragonXxX
03-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Well with the "talent" Shaun Rogers had around him he would still dominate opponents, something Redding didn't do except one season. Redding was average every season but 1 when he took over for an injured Rogers and got 8 sacks and a fat contract. Then he went back to an average player, but now is overpaid. If you really think he's an answer at DT you're very wrong. He could be a great 3-4 DE if you ask me though.

But only decent run stopper? I hope you weren't talking about Redding because that is not what he's good at. He can penetrate up into the backfield, but easily gets washed out of plays and misses tackles in the backfield.

And don't you find it a big odd that one of the worst defenses in the NFL on the worst team in NFL History would trade away the only defensive line player who commands attention as you say?? Clearly he was someone we were looking to get rid of and upgrade as he was one of the reasons for us giving up huge rushing yardage.

I didnt say Redding was great vs the run, I said decent, but he's better than anything else the Lions have currently. From everything Ive seen and read, he was the guy getting double teamed last year. He's more of a replacement for Rocky Bernard, a pass rushing DT who is "decent" vs the run. Decent being not terrible but not amazing either. All of the Lions DTs are undersized, IMO what Redding needs is someone beside him that will take the double teams and free him up to make plays. He will have that in Seattle.

This isnt a blockbuster deal for either team. The Lions are probably looking to pick up fatty to play NT and decided to unload Redding's contract and have Cody take his place. The Seahawks were looking to unload Peterson's contract and his poor play against the run and picked up a decent player to fill out their 4 man DT rotation, plus a draft pick. Peterson will likely be replaced by D.D. Lewis. Lewis was a starter on the Seahawks 2005 superbowl defense and did a good job in spot duty last year.

gpngc
03-15-2009, 05:24 PM

Watch games. Seahawks fans are in denial about what? They've been whining about JP all season and speculating him being released all offseason. He's not a bad player, but he's by no means the player he's thought of right now. Everyone's bringing up "oh Cory Redding sucks because the Lions defense sucked." Did you see Seattle's D last year? lol. And I don't even care about Redding. He's just icing on the cake. This move is a good one if it's JP for a 5th straight up.

The Pro Bowl is a joke. The phrase "pro bowl-caliber" means nothing because the pro bowl is a popularity and reputation contest.

Peterson was going to be cut. Instead, they got a 5th and a player (Redding re-structured) for him. And the move saved them $4.6 mil in cap space now and took away an expensive aging contract for the future. There's no debate- that's a great move any way you look at it.

Larry
03-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Seahags got fleeced lol.

abaddon41_80
03-15-2009, 05:59 PM
I didnt say Redding was great vs the run, I said decent, but he's better than anything else the Lions have currently.

And being the best run stopper on the Lions is like being the coolest person at an anime convention, it isn't much of an accomplishment.

Watch games. Seahawks fans are in denial about what? They've been whining about JP all season and speculating him being released all offseason. He's not a bad player, but he's by no means the player he's thought of right now. Everyone's bringing up "oh Cory Redding sucks because the Lions defense sucked." Did you see Seattle's D last year? lol. And I don't even care about Redding. He's just icing on the cake. This move is a good one if it's JP for a 5th straight up.

The Pro Bowl is a joke. The phrase "pro bowl-caliber" means nothing because the pro bowl is a popularity and reputation contest.

I have watched plenty of Seahawks games over the past 3 years, at least 15 or so full games, and before that I watched every one of Peterson's games as a 49ers. He is much better than you give him credit for, especially against the pass. For his entire career he has been one of the best, if not the best, coverage linebacker in the league and one of the best pass rushing linebackers.

Peterson was going to be cut. Instead, they got a 5th and a player (Redding re-structured) for him. And the move saved them $4.6 mil in cap space now and took away an expensive aging contract for the future. There's no debate- that's a great move any way you look at it.

Everyone is acting like Redding is some young guy with loads of potential or something. He isn't. He is only two years younger than Peterson and we have already seen him at his best and he wasn't even that great.

gpngc
03-15-2009, 06:15 PM
And being the best run stopper on the Lions is like being the coolest person at an anime convention, it isn't much of an accomplishment.

I have watched plenty of Seahawks games over the past 3 years, at least 15 or so full games, and before that I watched every one of Peterson's games as a 49ers. He is much better than you give him credit for, especially against the pass. For his entire career he has been one of the best, if not the best, coverage linebacker in the league and one of the best pass rushing linebackers.

Everyone is acting like Redding is some young guy with loads of potential or something. He isn't. He is only two years younger than Peterson and we have already seen him at his best and he wasn't even that great.

A 28-year old down lineman is completely different than a 30-year old outside LB who relies heavily on his athleticism. Some DL can play into their late 30s and not lose much whereas athletic LBs will lose speed and decline more drastically quickly. I'll admit I don't really have huge hopes for Redding, nor do I know what type of player he'll be.

Peterson's decline began slowly in 2007. In 2008 it started to really show. It will continue. This is inevitable. He was a GREAT player for the Niners and Seahawks. Now he's a declining OLB who will add a quality pass rusher but be a liability against the run. Still, is he better than any other options at SLB for the Lions? Absolutely.

Everyone wants to declare a winner with each trade- and time will ultimately tell. But I think, in this deal, both teams benefited. Neither got fleeced, and neither won. Seems like a good deal for both teams...:confused:

I KNOW IT ALL
03-15-2009, 06:22 PM
I think it's more addition by subtraction for both teams.