PDA

View Full Version : Could B.J. Raji go number 1?

bigbuc
03-14-2009, 03:47 PM
They just traded Cory Redding for Julian Peterson. They have a big hole a DT. I know its a big if but, IF they go DL and not OL could you see them taking him?

Paranoidmoonduck
03-14-2009, 03:49 PM
I think it's much more likely that Detroit targets a DT like Jerry at the #20 pick.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-14-2009, 03:49 PM
No.

4 is the earliest.

keylime_5
03-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Man, Raji is getting overrated as ****. He's a fringe top 10 pick who's gonna go somewhere between picks 4 and 9 because of his positional value. He's good, but no way in hell is he gonna sniff #1.

Texas Homer
03-14-2009, 04:01 PM
I doubt it.

03-14-2009, 04:01 PM
you must be out of your damn mind...

Even extremely highly rated DTs like Ngata weren't talked about as a top pick..IF they aren't and BJ raji is nowhere near as talented as Ngata, and the Lions don't have a #1 pick need for a DT, especially when they can take one of the same caliber at 20, then what the Hell makes you think they would shell out that type of money for a Defensive Tackle that wouldn't sniff the top 15 in most years, when they can get a guy like Jerry at 20, who is arguably as talented as rAji(though he's a different type of player)...then why the hell would they take BJ raji at #1..

Damn...Think before you make a thread.

GB12
03-14-2009, 04:02 PM
Not a chance. 90% Stafford, 10% LT.

StorminNorman
03-14-2009, 04:03 PM
I think this trade today means Stafford can start investigating real estate in Michigan.

marshallb
03-14-2009, 04:04 PM
No, the only way I could even remotely see him going to Detroit would be if they traded down, and that never happens, and if they traded down, they'd still be much more likely to take Stafford if he were still there, which I doubt, Sanchez or an OT.

eaglesalltheway
03-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Not a chance. 90% Stafford, 10% LT.

Agreed, of the LT chances, I'd say J Smith makes up about 9.8 of that 10%

Shahin
03-14-2009, 04:15 PM

Even extremely highly rated DTs like Ngata weren't talked about as a top pick..IF they aren't and BJ raji is nowhere near as talented as Ngata, and the Lions don't have a #1 pick need for a DT, especially when they can take one of the same caliber at 20, then what the Hell makes you think they would shell out that type of money for a Defensive Tackle that wouldn't sniff the top 15 in most years, when they can get a guy like Jerry at 20, who is arguably as talented as rAji(though he's a different type of player)...then why the hell would they take BJ raji at #1..

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5484/chillpillt.jpg (http://img18.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chillpillt.jpg)

bigbuc
03-14-2009, 04:18 PM

The fact is that almost everyone has him as a in there top 10... Scouts Inc. on espn has him at 4 and Mel Kiper and Todd McShay have him going top 5... SO ITS NOT THAT NUTS WITH DET NEEDED A NEW BIG DT THAT CAN STOP THE RUN AND RUSH THE PASSER... also with there HC just coming from a team that had a top 5 D with a big time DT.

GB12
03-14-2009, 04:20 PM
The fact is that almost everyone has him as a in there top 10... Scouts Inc. on espn has him at 4 and Mel Kiper and Todd McShay have him going top 5... SO ITS NOT THAT NUTS WITH DET NEEDED A NEW BIG DT THAT CAN STOP THE RUN AND RUSH THE PASSER... also with there HC just coming from a team that had a top 5 D with a big time DT.
There is a huge difference between top 10 and #1 overall.

03-14-2009, 04:22 PM

The only reason they have him going to SEATTLE at the earliest, is because they have a desperate need for him, and they don't have a second 1st round pick unlike Detroit.

Not only does he not have top pick talent, detroit doesn't need him so badly as to pick him #1, Detroit has a second 1st round pick which would make it idiotic to waste that kind of money on BJ raji..

Matthew Jones
03-14-2009, 04:34 PM
Man, Raji is getting overrated as ****. He's a fringe top 10 pick who's gonna go somewhere between picks 4 and 9 because of his positional value.

You could say this about Matthew Stafford too, in my opinion. I don't think Stafford is one of the top four or five prospects in the draft (Crabtree, Jason Smith, Monroe, Raji, Curry could all potentially finish higher than him in my final rankings), but since he's a QB, he's the #1 pick. It's similar to Alex Smith in 2005, when he was simply the best QB available rather than the best player available (because there were no absolute studs, similar to this year.)

keylime_5
03-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Yes, but there's no golden rule that if you don't have a franchise DT you take one if he's available. Stafford is a top QB prospect and Detroit hasn't had a good QB in decades. Best case scenario for a DT is he would turn out to be a great part of the defense....if you have a top QB you are going to championship games and super bowls.

StorminNorman
03-14-2009, 06:23 PM
You could say this about Matthew Stafford too, in my opinion. I don't think Stafford is one of the top four or five prospects in the draft (Crabtree, Jason Smith, Monroe, Raji, Curry could all potentially finish higher than him in my final rankings), but since he's a QB, he's the #1 pick. It's similar to Alex Smith in 2005, when he was simply the best QB available rather than the best player available (because there were no absolute studs, similar to this year.)

Or similar to last year where many did not have Matt Ryan as the third best player in the draft overall.