PDA

View Full Version : Beyonce & Lil Wayne fans are.. dumb

WMD
03-14-2009, 09:37 PM
According to this study!

http://musicthatmakesyoudumb.virgil.gr/

Matches SAT scores of people with the music they like. Interesting.. but I claim racism!

Here's the chart (big picture)

http://musicthatmakesyoudumb.virgil.gr/mtmyd/MusicthatmakesyoudumbLarge.png

Shane P. Hallam
03-14-2009, 09:42 PM
Way to go Guster!

art vandelay
03-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Wow - Why is Counting Crows so high?

iowatreat54
03-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Interesting that "Classical" is so far left.

Canadian_kid16
03-14-2009, 09:44 PM
whew, luckily Beethoven dominates my iPod playlist

Brent
03-14-2009, 09:45 PM
I like Sufjan Stevens. I win.

Interesting that "Classical" is so far left.
Because people with higher IQ often appreciate classical music.

iowatreat54
03-14-2009, 09:46 PM

Because people with higher IQ often appreciate classical music.

Yes, hence why it's interesting it's so far left (low on the scale).

Brent
03-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Yes, hence why it's interesting it's so far left (low on the scale).
I know, that one seems weird to me. Probably just a flaw in the way the study was conducted.

iowatreat54
03-14-2009, 09:49 PM
I know, that one seems weird to me. Probably just a flaw in the way the study was conducted.

Yea, you would have to assume so. Especially with Beethoven the furthest right. I mean, Beethoven is significantly enough above most classical music, but it isn't that much of a disparity.

LonghornsLegend
03-14-2009, 09:50 PM
So basically if you listen to rap you can't be smart, or smart people don't listen to rap? That's a bunch of crap.

Brent
03-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Beethoven is significantly enough above most classical music
If I wasnt as drunk as I am, I would tell you why I think Bach is better but you are on the right track with regards to Beethoven & classical music on this chart.

iowatreat54
03-14-2009, 09:53 PM
If I wasnt as drunk as I am, I would tell you why I think Bach is better but you are on the right track with regards to Beethoven & classical music on this chart.

Well, obviously there are numerous other composers that can be argued to be as good, but I meant because there were just the two options.

But really, is anyone surprised with this? I mean, we all know how garbage music is today, yet somehow it's popular. Society is dumb.

Dr. Gonzo
03-14-2009, 09:54 PM
I like how Gospel listeners are also amongst the dumbest people in America. I also like how Radiohead (who I listen to almost constantly) and many other bands I listen to are so high up. Now I can go around telling people studies say I listen to smart people music and I can get called a huge douche.

It was also funny seeing almost every emo band ranked in the dumb section.

Brent
03-14-2009, 09:54 PM
But really, is anyone surprised with this? I mean, we all know how garbage music is today, yet somehow it's popular. Society is dumb.
Truer words have never been spoken.

Dr. Gonzo
03-14-2009, 09:56 PM
So basically if you listen to rap you can't be smart, or smart people don't listen to rap? That's a bunch of crap.

The study is just saying the majority of people who listen to rap are very close to being legally ********.

iowatreat54

That's not what the study, or any study shows. A study/experiment says that the average subject that falls in one of the categories would most likely get the represented outcome.

In this case, the average Lil' Wayne fan, Beyonce fan, Rap fan, etc. gets lower on their SAT than fans of Beck or Guster. It doesn't mean it's 100% true, just the average.

BRAVEHEART
I can understand little wayne and beyonce, but the rest of this list looks like ****...predjudice **** at that.

BroadwayJoe10
03-14-2009, 09:59 PM
One of the funnier observations, besides the fact that many people clearly listen to a handful of the bands that are on polar opposite ends of the spectrum, was how can people who listen to Reggae and those who listen to Bob Marley have a 100+ point differential in score.

LonghornsLegend
03-14-2009, 10:00 PM
That's not what the study, or any study shows. A study/experiment says that the average subject that falls in one of the categories would most likely get the represented outcome.

In this case, the average Lil' Wayne fan, Beyonce fan, Rap fan, etc. gets lower on their SAT than fans of Beck or Guster. It doesn't mean it's 100% true, just the average.

It's still close enough to saying that, and I hate stupid surveys like these anyway, it depends on who you survey, where those people grew up and where they live, alot of different variables, I just hate **** like this that makes it look like only idiots can listen to a certain type of music.

Brent
03-14-2009, 10:01 PM
One of the funnier observations, besides the fact that many people clearly listen to a handful of the bands that are on polar opposite ends of the spectrum, was how can people who listen to Reggae and those who listen to Bob Marley have a 100+ point differential in score.
Because this is someone probably handing out a survey that says, "what did you get on your SAT?" followed by "check all the following that you're fans of..." It's obviously not scientific at all.

BRAVEHEART
03-14-2009, 10:01 PM

Cause this graph was made by some dude on the internet.

iowatreat54
03-14-2009, 10:05 PM
It's still close enough to saying that, and I hate stupid surveys like these anyway, it depends on who you survey, where those people grew up and where they live, alot of different variables, I just hate **** like this that makes it look like only idiots can listen to a certain type of music.

Well, I mean, any study is clearly going to have outliers in the reported data, regardless of validity. It may give off the view like you say, but any rational person would understand not everyone follows the trend.

So really, the people that believe any results to be 100% true are kinda dumb for not knowing how to interpret in the first place, so it kinda fits.

BroadwayJoe10
03-14-2009, 10:08 PM
I can understand little wayne and beyonce, but the rest of this list looks like ****...predjudice **** at that.

Your response is the exact reason why there can never be studies on racial differences in intelligence. Instead, we have to rely on correlations in test scores and socio-economic achievement differences. Yes, "correlation does not prove causation," but it is a very interesting topic.

I doubt this persons goal was to prove one ethnicity or race was less intelligent, maybe it was a generational motivation??

If anyone is being blinded by bias it is you; you're the one lumping a race or ethnicity into certain categories of listening to certain music. All this test did was compare music to SAT scores. Not race/ethnicity to SAT scores.

Edit: Not meant as an attack, however, I just get annoyed that any study that brings up cultural differences in intelligence is always crucified as racist/bigotry BS.

Brent
03-14-2009, 10:10 PM
i'm curious if any of the people ******** about the "study" actually bothered going to the bloody website and reading how he did it.

i mean, it's fun and all, making **** up because you can then be outraged by it, but it's more fun when you actually have some vague clue what the facts actually are (such as they are in this case).

but then, the graph shows people who listen to rap music have low sat scores. the ******* of people about that indicates that they can't read. so maybe the whole system is less flawed than it looked at first glance.
Whoa whoa whoa, people thinking before posting? You have obviously not been around here very long. :)

iowatreat54
03-14-2009, 10:12 PM
no, i'm just temporarily delusional.

I hear ya. You would expect most people to have common sense, but we all know that's not the case.

The Unseen
03-14-2009, 10:14 PM
metal needs to be farther over to the right.

kthnxbai

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
03-14-2009, 10:19 PM
WMD, my large picture>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>your's!!!

http://musicthatmakesyoudumb.virgil.gr/mtmyd/mtmydStaircaseLarge.png

fischbowl
03-14-2009, 10:28 PM
Weezer really is the only band on this list I listen to. I'm no mensa but I'm an intellectual.

Michigan
03-14-2009, 10:33 PM
rofl I got a 2170 (1480 w/ old scoring) on my SAT and all I listen to is rap and hip hop.

Shane P. Hallam
03-14-2009, 10:39 PM
rofl I got a 2170 (1480 w/ old scoring) on my SAT and all I listen to is rap and hip hop.

Obviously your SAT was graded incorrectly.

BRAVEHEART
03-14-2009, 10:47 PM
Your response is the exact reason why there can never be studies on racial differences in intelligence. Instead, we have to rely on correlations in test scores and socio-economic achievement differences. Yes, "correlation does not prove causation," but it is a very interesting topic.

I doubt this persons goal was to prove one ethnicity or race was less intelligent, maybe it was a generational motivation??

If anyone is being blinded by bias it is you; you're the one lumping a race or ethnicity into certain categories of listening to certain music. All this test did was compare music to SAT scores. Not race/ethnicity to SAT scores.

Edit: Not meant as an attack, however, I just get annoyed that any study that brings up cultural differences in intelligence is always crucified as racist/bigotry BS.

Slow your roll joe, "Racial predjudice" (what you're talking about, amigo) is just one kind of predjudice (and not exactly what I was talking about sir). More white people listen to/buy rap than anybody else, since you seem to really want to take it there. Maybe you should follow your own advice and stop jumping to conclusions.

BlindSite
03-14-2009, 11:25 PM
I read an article a few months ago written by some british professor who claimed people who listen to hard rock and heavy metal were on average in the above average, to high IQ levels.

Shane P. Hallam
03-14-2009, 11:27 PM
The word race shouldn't appear in this thread anymore. Man, not even close to what this is about. Just move off of it.

LonghornsLegend
03-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Obviously your SAT was graded incorrectly.

LOL (10 char)

steelersfan43
03-15-2009, 12:38 AM
Lol gospel music.

I wonder why ;)

Brodeur
03-15-2009, 12:45 AM

Sufjan Stevens is amazing.

El Peefs?????
03-15-2009, 04:33 AM
i'm curious if any of the people ******** about the "study" actually bothered going to the bloody website and reading how he did it.

i mean, it's fun and all, making **** up because you can then be outraged by it, but it's more fun when you actually have some vague clue what the facts actually are (such as they are in this case).

but then, the graph shows people who listen to rap music have low sat scores. the ******* of people about that indicates that they can't read. so maybe the whole system is less flawed than it looked at first glance.

But I know you also agree that the typical Lil Wayne fan isn't very bright ;)

Paul
03-15-2009, 05:00 AM
Oasis and Postal Service in the middle of the pack. I'm okay with mediocrity.

Job
03-15-2009, 08:37 AM
I think it's more of a matter of personnality and interests. I think it's quite safe to say that people listening to rap/hiphop music are generally less interested in school then those who listen to other genres, especially Beethoven. That doesn't make them less intelligent, just more prone to having weaker scores.

CJSchneider
03-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Well, I haven't gone to the site it came from yet, but even I can tell you its a load of crap.
1. I listen to half the stuff listed (including rap) and I scored a 1300 on my SAT's
2. N = ? (And if you are know enough about stats and research studies to know what that means, you also know this is just an obvious joke)

VoteLynnSwan
03-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Well, I haven't gone to the site it came from yet, but even I can tell you its a load of crap.
1. I listen to half the stuff listed (including rap) and I scored a 1300 on my SAT's
2. N = ? (And if you are know enough about stats and research studies to know what that means, you also know this is just an obvious joke)

one person having an SAT score not representative of the average is not a load of crap at all... In order to have an average, there must be points both higher and lower than the average.

I'm hoping (haven't gone to the site either) that N would be sufficiently big enough for this case... I have trouble believing that it wouldn't be. The low end of the spectrum is REALLY low though... i'd imagine some of those people would have to be in the 600 range for the SAT. That's ridiculous.

edit- so i just looked at how it's done... interesting method... i'm not sure what to say about the accuracy of it.

RoyHall#1
03-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Wow, pretty crazy how high up my favorite bands are... Weezer, Radiohead, The Killers being my 3 favorite. And then Dispatch, RHCP, and The Beatles being close behind... all pretty high up. Never took the SAT, but I got a 32 on the ACT.

Brent
03-15-2009, 12:18 PM
I got a 32 on the ACT.
That is a really good score. I think that is like the equal to a 1400-something on the old SAT scoring.

brat316
03-15-2009, 12:23 PM
The word race shouldn't appear in this thread anymore. Man, not even close to what this is about. Just move off of it.

I was in a race yesterday...i mean a sprint.

El Peefs?????
03-15-2009, 04:09 PM
My car must be really smart by the way. My CD changer will only play Bob Dylan CD's, seriously. I have 6 CD's in there and only Dylan will work. I will change around the slots that I have the CD's in, but again only Dylan will read and play.

nrk
03-15-2009, 04:56 PM
My car must be really smart by the way. My CD changer will only play Bob Dylan CD's, seriously. I have 6 CD's in there and only Dylan will work. I will change around the slots that I have the CD's in, but again only Dylan will read and play.

Heh, I only have Bob Dylan CDs in my car and Beatles on my Ipod. I need to get some more music but I can't complain with their discographies.

MetSox17
03-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Miley Cyrus loves Radiohead as well, so i wouldn't put too much into this graph.

CashmoneyDrew
03-15-2009, 05:09 PM
Miley Cyrus loves Radiohead as well, so i wouldn't put too much into this graph.

Apparently. lol

But apparently they don't care too much for her as a fan either. lol

MetSox17
03-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Apparently. lol

But apparently they don't care too much for her as a fan either. lol

Lol yeah. I found that pretty hilarious.

tjsunstein
03-15-2009, 05:21 PM
Oasis and Postal Service in the middle of the pack. I'm okay with mediocrity.

Funny you say that because I also listen to Oasis. In high school, there was this test in Italian that I got a 77 on and I was noticeably happy with my score. So my teacher looks at me and says, and I quote, "Are you okay with being so average?" and I responded with a smile, and a yes.

VoteLynnSwan
03-15-2009, 05:35 PM
Funny you say that because I also listen to Oasis. In high school, there was this test in Italian that I got a 77 on and I was noticeably happy with my score. So my teacher looks at me and says, and I quote, "Are you okay with being so average?" and I responded with a smile, and a yes.

I'm never happy with my test score unless i get the best grade in the class, and finish the fastest. Settling for being average is one of the problems with society, you should always look to improve on what you've already done.

nrk
03-15-2009, 05:54 PM
I'm never happy with my test score unless i get the best grade in the class, and finish the fastest. Settling for being average is one of the problems with society, you should always look to improve on what you've already done.

Italian class in high school is serious business.

El Peefs?????
03-15-2009, 06:15 PM

It is for VLS. He is so Italian it hurts! He doesnt even gel his hair, its just got its own natural grease.

RoyHall#1
03-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Lol yeah. I found that pretty hilarious.

Link? This sounds like a good story lol

VoteLynnSwan
03-15-2009, 07:31 PM

i'm not in high school in case you were referring to me... and i never took Italian, i took spanish. I'm just the kind of person who is never satisfied with what I have done, I always think i should have done better.

edit- i forgot he said his 77 was in italian... nevertheless i still don't think anyone should ever be satisfied with mediocrity.

It is for VLS. He is so Italian it hurts! He doesnt even gel his hair, its just got its own natural grease.

hahaha

MetSox17
03-16-2009, 02:51 AM
Link? This sounds like a good story lol

The Yahoo stories are down already, i can't find the link, but just google "Miley Cyrus dissed" and you'll see all the links/blogs of people making fun of her lol.

Story in a nutshell, at the grammy's, she thought she could muscle her way into meeting Radiohead privately, and when they rejected the offer to meet her, she got all pissed and said she was going to "ruin them" lol.