PDA

View Full Version : Oakland Raiders Sign OT Khalif Barnes

RaiderNation
03-14-2009, 10:40 PM
NFL Network’s Michael Lombardi confirms that free agent offensive tackle Khalif Barnes has signed a one-year deal with the Oakland Raiders. According to Lombardi, the Raiders have also promised not to choose an offensive tackle in April’s NFL Draft.

Barnes, 26, was drafted in the second round in 2005 by the Jaguars and has started 57 games in his four-year career. Barnes will compete for a starting job, as the Raiders cut veteran left tackle Kwame Harris last month.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/14/ot-barnes-signs-one-year-deal-with-raiders/

Very good signing. Is a lock at starting RT and will compete with Henderson to play LT. Allows us to get a WR (Crabtree hopefully or Maclin), DE( Orakpo) or DT( Raji)

holt_bruce81
03-14-2009, 10:44 PM
Good signing by Oakland. Where do you think they're leaning in the draft?

familyguy555
03-14-2009, 10:44 PM
I don't think this needed a thread.

RaiderNation
03-14-2009, 10:45 PM

Chris Carr got his own thread....

Strongside
03-14-2009, 10:45 PM

Why not? It could affect the draft quite a bit.

NIN1984
03-14-2009, 11:06 PM
I like the fact that's it only a one year deal. And I agree this does affect the draft. Al Davis is real high on Mario Henderson and Barnes will most likely start on the right side. I don't think Raiders will go OT in round one now.

no love
03-14-2009, 11:53 PM
Well I was expecting all of the top tier tackles to be off the board when the raiders picked anyways.

vidae
03-15-2009, 12:04 AM
All of them? You were expecting Jason Smith, Andre Smith, Michael Oher and Eugene Monroe to be gone by 7?

diabsoule
03-15-2009, 12:27 AM
Nice solid move by the Raiders and really helps their OL. Barnes is versatile enough to play both tackle positions and will be a significant upgrade at right tackle. I'm sure JaMarcus Russell and Darren McFadden are happy.

Young Legend
03-15-2009, 12:59 AM
Add a center threw the draft and Oakland will have a nice promising offense line.

GB12
03-15-2009, 01:17 AM
All of them? You were expecting Jason Smith, Andre Smith, Michael Oher and Eugene Monroe to be gone by 7?
Depends on how you classify them I guess. I think that Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe are quite a bit ahead of the other two, but often group all 4 together.

RaiderNation
03-15-2009, 01:21 AM
Add a center threw the draft and Oakland will have a nice promising offense line.

Mack/Unger/Wood in the 2nd or maybe Luigs/Caldwell in the 3rd would complete our Oline. I like what we have added to this Oline. 2 young OT's in Barnes and Pears that can play both LT and RT. The line should look like

LT Henderson
LG Gallery
C Draft one please
RG Carlisle
RT Barnes/Pears

nobodyinparticular
03-15-2009, 01:34 AM
Mack/Unger/Wood in the 2nd or maybe Luigs/Caldwell in the 3rd would complete our Oline. I like what we have added to this Oline. 2 young OT's in Barnes and Pears that can play both LT and RT. The line should look like

LT Henderson
LG Gallery
C Draft one please
RG Carlisle
RT Barnes/Pears

I think that, in theory, that looks pretty good. However, it's quite a risk hanging it all on Barnes and Henderson at the tackle positions, not to mention Carlisle at RG who had a very down year after a good 2007.

At center, don't forget Chris Morris. He could be an option, although only on a very, very slim chance (certainly Henderson has a better chance of working out at LT than Morris at C).

I think there's reason for optimism in Oakland, but I also would not protest if they spent 3 draft picks in the first 4 rounds on the offensive line. Both the Oline and the WR position are really enigmas in Oakland. The optimistic fan will give glowing reports about the potential at both positions, but the pessimistic fan will say that the Raiders have about 5-6 starting positions that need to be addressed this offseason. I lean more towards safer is better at this point (i.e. get much more talent at those positions if you can), but that's just my opinion.

RaiderNation
03-15-2009, 01:51 AM
Also I forgot to mention Paul McQuisten. He has a legit chance at playing RG or RT. He looked real good at both positions before he got hurt.

Mr. Hero
03-15-2009, 03:28 AM
Jezz seeing a guy with Barnes' potential only signing a one year deal I wish the giants could've brought him in, had him be at worst our 6th man/backup swing tackle but also get a shot at pushing Diehl inside to LG if he got his head out of his rear.

Young Legend
03-15-2009, 04:55 AM

LT Henderson
LG Gallery
C Draft one please
RG Carlisle
RT Barnes/Pears

Call me crazy or stupid but I truly think Barnes is gonna be Oakland's LT, If its a fair battle with him and Henderson and Cable is not playing favorites Barnes should easily beat out Henderson. I think Barnes playing under Tom Cable and OL coach Jim Michalczik is really gonna help him and playing this this scheme he is gonna flourish in.

And im really not ready to handle the RT spot to Henderson if he cant win the LT spot.Pears might end up being a better option for the Raiders right there.

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-15-2009, 07:39 AM
Wow, Oakland is really a team on the rise. I think Jamarcus Russell really benefits from being coached by Tom Cable and he has shown that he is fully capable of being Oaklands "franchise" QB. There running game is top notch with Darren McFadden, Justin Fargas, and Michael Bush. They got a great young TE in Zach Miller. Now with them adding Barnes, it really solidifies there o-line(still need a center), Now, alll they need is a consistent playmaker in the recieving and that offense will really start to click. Look for Russell to really benefit from his strong run game and solid o-line. I think this means they will most likely go Maclin or Crabtree in the 1st.

Sveen
03-15-2009, 07:50 AM
I think they go with Raji, Orakpo or WR in the 1st round now (in that order).

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-15-2009, 09:10 AM
I think they go with Raji, Orakpo or WR in the 1st round now (in that order).

agreed. Dont rule out Maclin either. You never know Al Davis. But if Crabtree lands to them, I fully expect al to pull the trigger on him. No doubt about it.

The Unseen
03-15-2009, 09:21 AM
good signing...maybe. Barnes went from promising to mediocre pretty damn quickly.

MarioPalmer
03-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Why the hell did the Jags not resign him? Jesus, they are going backwards. Ever since their run when they beat the Steel in 2007 and then lost to the Pats they have been going backwards. What the hell are they doing?

03-15-2009, 11:26 AM
Oakland is a run-first team, for sure, so I'm actually hoping Barnes can beat out Super Mario on the left side. That three-helmeted running attack should be something special next season if this line can hold up. Run DMC healthy for a full season will be an intimidating matchup in the backfield and slot and Bush/ Fargas should be able to wear down opponents pretty good. Raji would be the BEST pick now so let's hope Al pulls the trigger there. Signs point to Oakland being a team on the rise, but I'll refrain from any more optimism until we actually do something on the field. I like the one-year deal, Al must’ve learned a thing or two from last offseason.

Stash
03-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Good signing. Allows us to address another position in round 1, although we still need OL help.

Shahin
03-15-2009, 03:36 PM
Ever since I saw Barnes on the FA list, I wanted him to goto the Raiders. Cool.

yourfavestoner
03-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Why the hell did the Jags not resign him? Jesus, they are going backwards. Ever since their run when they beat the Steel in 2007 and then lost to the Pats they have been going backwards. What the hell are they doing?

There was no interest between either party for him to come back to Jacksonville. He hated it there and stunk it up in a contract year. No thank you.

The Unseen
03-15-2009, 07:44 PM

He's not that good.

I KNOW IT ALL
03-15-2009, 07:46 PM
He's not that good.

He had a terrible season but prior to this season he looked like he had a bright future. Was last season an aberration? I'm not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me considering the Jaguars as a whole were a complete mess.

Menardo75
03-16-2009, 12:01 AM
Kwame Harris 2.0 if they play him at LT.

LonghornsLegend
03-16-2009, 06:20 AM
Michael Lombardi believes from his time working in Oakland that Al Davis needs a 40 time to draft a player, so if Crabtree is there I guess we will see how important that really is.

Young Legend
03-16-2009, 04:30 PM

He had one down year and lost his LG to injuries and now he is Kwame Harris 2.0 right.

03-16-2009, 04:31 PM

Mario Henderson might still be our LT, but I guess we'll have to wait and see there. It's only a one-year deal, let's remember.

RaiderNation
03-16-2009, 04:51 PM

Barnes actually had some success at LT before. Harris never had anything close to starting quality success. I think/hope Henderson wins it out at LT. I think Barnes might use us for one season to get his money next offseason