PDA

View Full Version : Most Important Quality in a QB?

cdmPSU17
03-15-2009, 10:16 AM
To me, a quarterback can be blessed with all the arm strength and accuracy in the world, but if he doesn't have the work ethic and desire to win, what good are these tools if he doesn't put them to use. Work ethic is what separated Manning from Leaf, Rodgers from Alex Smith, McNabb from Couch (and pretty much every other QB in that class), and a ton of other examples from recent drafts. What does everybody else think is the best quality in a signal caller, and how it applies to this class of QBs?

thenewfeature06
03-15-2009, 10:23 AM
I agree work ethic and the desire to win, but i also think confidence and experience play a big part as well

Rjspartan
03-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Leadership, work ethic, desire

jnew76
03-15-2009, 11:51 AM
I think it is something I would call - Quick Positive Reflexive AND Deductive Action - or Q-PRADA.

Basically the ability to make POSITIVE decisions as a REFLEX to the opposition and DEDUCING the correct course of ACTION, QUICKLY... Say within a period of 1-3 seconds.

That is the Q-PRADA - Montana, Young, Namath, Bradshaw, Brady, Manning... They all have it.

lod01
03-15-2009, 12:05 PM
I think it is something I would call - Quick Positive Reflexive AND Deductive Action - or Q-PRADA.

Basically the ability to make POSITIVE decisions as a REFLEX to the opposition and DEDUCING the correct course of ACTION, QUICKLY... Say within a period of 1-3 seconds.

That is the Q-PRADA - Montana, Young, Namath, Bradshaw, Brady, Manning... They all have it.

That's #1 in my book. You have to be able to read a defense. Which goes hand in hand with desire and work ethic. Without those you won't be able to read D. But you can have all the work ethic in the world and still not be able to get 'it'.

Saints-Tigers
03-15-2009, 12:08 PM
Yup, decision making and the ability to make those decisions quickly.

brat316
03-15-2009, 12:14 PM
well rounded-ness

phlysac
03-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Work ethic is what separated Manning from Leaf, Rodgers from Alex Smith, McNabb from Couch

You can have all the work ethic and desire to win in the world. In won't amount to ANYTHING if you don't have talent. Also, Using your Rodgers/Smith comparison in regards to work ethic. Alex Smith reportedly does NOTHING but study football. Urban Meyer used to have to force Smith to stop watching film. While on injured reserve, instead of going home, Smith stayed at the 49ers facility and studied film. He has some of the best work ethic in the NFL. It hasn't translated to success.

Burger
03-15-2009, 04:17 PM
Alex Smith had nothing but Vernon Davis when he played.

stephenson86
03-15-2009, 04:34 PM
The ability to take control and lead the 10 men who work with him on offense.

Pitt
03-15-2009, 04:40 PM
To me, a quarterback can be blessed with all the arm strength and accuracy in the world, but if he doesn't have the work ethic and desire to win, what good are these tools if he doesn't put them to use. Work ethic is what separated Manning from Leaf, Rodgers from Alex Smith, McNabb from Couch (and pretty much every other QB in that class), and a ton of other examples from recent drafts. What does everybody else think is the best quality in a signal caller, and how it applies to this class of QBs?

I agree with your points, but outside of Manning/Leaf, your analogies to back it up don't match. Smith and Couch poor work ethic? How do you know? Could it be they just landed in a poor situation? Not every QB forced to play in year one can make things happen.

IndyColtScout
03-15-2009, 04:41 PM
I'de say sub 4.40 lol

quick release and durable

Halsey
03-15-2009, 06:05 PM
There is no one thing that matters most. A QB has to have both the physical and mental talents to make it in the NFL. A 5'9, noodle armed QB with all the intangibles in the world won't make it and neither will a 6'7, rocket armed QB without the intangibles.

GBahDunka
03-15-2009, 06:26 PM
"It" is whats needed for a quarterback

AntoinCD
03-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Leadership, decision making, work ethic and ACCURACY-the most underrated aspect somehow for QBs. Frankly who cares if the guy can throw the ball 80 yds if he can't hit a barn door 10 yds away.

My problem with rating QBs is everyone will have different categories. For instance, Favre will rightly go down as one of the best of all time, however he was almost as likely to lose a game by himself as win one. Chad Pennington will not lose a game but very seldom will he win one.

Manning and Brady are perfect examples of a balance between both. Unless Cromartie is around :D , Peyton is not going to throw a game away but he can definitely orchestrate quick comebacks and likewise for Brady- he will very very rarely have a performance that will stop his team winning but will pull them out of a hole when necessary.

If my QB can ensure he takes care of the football and move the chains and make plays when needed, I couldn't care if it was ten screen passes in a row or one deep pass that won the game. Which brings me to the most important trait a QB can have. He has to be a winner. If you listened to people talk about Matt Ryan last year you would have heard a lot of good things regarding his physical and mental skills. But the one thing that really struck me was the amount of times when he was being evaluated and described simply as a winner

Buc Baller12
03-15-2009, 09:32 PM
smarts and poise.

the decider13
03-15-2009, 10:15 PM
I'm gonna say...isn't a little baby who demands to be traded when things don't go his way. And maybe a guy who shows up to mandatory team meetings. That's what I look for in a QB.

etk
03-15-2009, 11:37 PM
Decision-making.

Didn't even have to think to come up with that one. It's by far the most important imo.

Brent
03-15-2009, 11:42 PM
I was going to say "carries team by self on his shoulders" see Jay Cutler at Vandy.

etk
03-15-2009, 11:44 PM
I was going to say "carries team by self on his shoulders" see Jay Cutler at Vandy.

I lean closer towards Matt Ryan at BC.

Cutler didn't win a whole lot of games despite the heavy lifting.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-16-2009, 12:20 AM
Decision making. Period.

No matter if he's the most physically talented, charismatic, hardest-working quarterback in the world, if he can't process and choose very well on the field, he will never be a good quarterback.

Xenos
03-16-2009, 12:39 AM
What's the most important quality?

The thing between the shoulders.

holt_bruce81
03-16-2009, 01:28 AM
Decision making. Period.

No matter if he's the most physically talented, charismatic, hardest-working quarterback in the world, if he can't process and choose very well on the field, he will never be a good quarterback.

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better.

Hollywood
03-16-2009, 02:06 AM
You guys are all falling for the book of cliches way too hard.

**** all this noise, the most important thing a QB can have is a strong arm. Sure a work ethic, ability to read defenses, being smart, poise ...blah blah blah are all important, but if you have a noodle dick of an arm who can't whip a football out there a tenth of a second faster than the DB can react, it doesn't really matter how good you are at all those nauseating cliche terms everyone keeps bringing up.

holt_bruce81
03-16-2009, 03:40 AM
You guys are all falling for the book of cliches way too hard.

**** all this noise, the most important thing a QB can have is a strong arm. Sure a work ethic, ability to read defenses, being smart, poise ...blah blah blah are all important, but if you have a noodle dick of an arm who can't whip a football out there a tenth of a second faster than the DB can react, it doesn't really matter how good you are at all those nauseating cliche terms everyone keeps bringing up.

Kyle Boller had a "strong arm"

I think we are talking about guys who can actually make it in the NFL. Obviously a dude with a "noodle dick" arm wouldn't even be on a roster.

Hollywood
03-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Kyle Boller had a "strong arm"

I think we are talking about guys who can actually make it in the NFL. Obviously a dude with a "noodle dick" arm wouldn't even be on a roster.

Not true. 2nd and 3rd string guys are filled with guys whos arms just are not strong enough but they have the ability to read defenses, they have poise, they are smart, hard workers etc etc cliche cliche etc etc. If your arm is not strong enough it's alot harder to make it or learn that ability than any thing else on that list.

Look at the plethora of college QBs (including Heisman winners) who made it on smarts and ability to read defenses alone but couldn't hack it in the NFL because they just didn't have the necessary arm strength.

oldman9er
03-16-2009, 11:33 AM
I think it was well said earlier. A Qb's size and arm strength can sure help, but the most important thing to me is having good mental reflexes. Good Qb's have to be able to read/recognize coverage, but also be quick with the decisions once they do break that coverage down.

Halsey
03-16-2009, 11:37 AM
David Greene is a perfect example of a QB with all the mental tools, but not the physical talent. It sounds good to say "arm strength is overrated!" until you learn that having a strong arm allows a QB to get the ball further down the field in a shorter span of time. The longer it takes a ball to get from one point to another, the more time defenders have to react. The further a QB can get the ball down field, the more defenses have to respect the deep pass and therefore dedicate less defense close to the line. Also, strong armed QB's are better able to make big throws without taking the time to set their feet perfectly when under pressure.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-16-2009, 11:37 AM
The truth is that if you're a quarterback and you're significantly deficient in one trait, you're in a bad way. Be it arm strength, accuracy, decision-making, mobility, work ethic, leadership, etc.

The great quarterbacks are the ones who are some amalgamation of all those traits and more.

However, I disagree that having great arm strength (by NFL standards) is a prerequisite. It is something that gives a quarterback more slack. He can deliver the ball later after fixing on a guy, he can throw the ball deeper without as much set-up, etc. But plenty of quarterbacks have had great success without having fantastic arm strength. It just requires an offense which helps them out and good anticipation.