PDA

View Full Version : What are your corner rankings?

Shane P. Hallam
03-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Looking at the new D.J. Moore scouting report, I have been thinking about how I am ranking my corners in this draft, and can't seem to separate that second tier very well. What are your views? I am more looking for PREDICTIONS on draft day rather than "I think Vontae Davis sucks, and he is my #10 corner." We all know Davis is going in the first round. Let's take a look at what I have been doing:

Tier 1:

Malcolm Jenkins (Looks more and more like he is moving to safety though)

Vontae Davis (maybe you don't think he will be a good pro, but you can't argue with him as a prospect).

Here is where it gets tricky:

Tier 2:

D.J. Moore (Do his return skills put him as the third corner off the board? Still a lack of height and maybe his ball skills aren't quite as good as Alphonso Smith)

Alphonso Smith (Same height as D.J, and so many positive about him, looked great at the Senior Bowl. Is he def. above Moore now?)

Sean Smith (I know the board loves him, and his versatility does mean something. He is big, still fast, but isn't as polished as the others yet)

Jairus Byrd (Scott has touted him, and I watched a bit of tape. Seems to have the full package, but not excellent at anything per say. Just a solid solid corner. Should he be higher?)

Darius Butler (Has he moved up into the late 1st/early 2nd range? I like him, especially as a returner, but he just doesn't seem to stick to corners like he should, thus why I had him as Late 2nd/Early 3rd. Is the rise warranted?)

Coye Francies (He has been inconsistent in the offseason, but a solid developmental guy who I think can still go late 2nd)

So, what is your rankings of how you think the corners will fall on draft day?
Those were mine, but I am still very uneasy about how I have it matched up. Perhaps I am still in the stone age a bit on how I have graded these guys and it has changed? Set me straight!

Rodya's Redemption
03-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Round One
Malcolm Jenkins
Alphonso Smith
Mike Mickens (sorry, but i'm sky-high on him)

Round Two
Jairus Byrd
Vontae Davis
DJ Moore
Victor Harris (love that nose for the ball)
Darius Butler

Round Three
Asher Allen
Coye Francies
Sean Smith

Round Four
Kevin Barnes
Captain Munnerlyn
Lardarius Webb
Domonique Johnson
Mark Parson

Round Five
Joe Burnett
Keenan Lewis

Matthew Jones
03-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Here is my top ten, roughly (assuming Malcolm Jenkins plays CB, although I think he's better as a FS):

1. Vontae Davis, Illinois (1)
2. Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State
3. Sean Smith, Utah
4. Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest
5. Jairus Byrd, Oregon (2)
6. Darius Butler, Connecticut
7. Coye Francies, San Jose State
8. D.J. Moore, Vanderbilt (3)
9. Macho Harris, Virginia Tech
10. Mike Mickens, Cincinnati

Shane P. Hallam
03-15-2009, 01:11 PM
Sounds good, but what are the separating factors? Why one over the other? They seem very bunched to me, I think it could go a number of different ways in Late 1st/All of round 2.

PACKmanN
03-15-2009, 01:18 PM
1. Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State
2. Vontae Davis, Illinois
3. Jairus Byrd, Oregon
4. Darius Butler, Connecticut
5. Sean Smith, Utah
6. D.J. Moore, Vanderbilt
7. Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest
8. Macho Harris, Virginia Tech
9. Mike Mickens, Cincinnati
10. Asher Allen, Georgia

AkiliSmith
03-15-2009, 01:21 PM
1. Malcom Jenkins - he has everything thing you want in a corner except elite speed
2. Vontae Davis - great athlete but very inconsistent
3. Alphonso Smith - despite the height he dominated the regular season and Senior Bowl
4. Darius Butler - has looked really good this offseason
5. D.J. Moore - not near as fast as expected but he plays faster
6. Sean Smith - being tall isn't an advantage for a corner so he may have to make a position change
7. Coye Francies - wasn't quite the athlete as expected but he looked good at Senior Bowl
8. Jairus Byrd - not expected to time well and is a bit of a tweener
9. Keenan Lewis - had a great Senior Bowl week and looked a lot better than expected at combine
10. Macho Harris - inconsistent at the Senior Bowl and did not have a good combine

Rodya's Redemption
03-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Sounds good, but what are the separating factors? Why one over the other? They seem very bunched to me, I think it could go a number of different ways in Late 1st/All of round 2.

LOL, i don't really have any scientific way of separating. When I do my rankings, I evaluate a player and then assign a round in which I think they deserve to go. I try to keep it unrelated to the rest of the class (e.g. Mickens' draft status isn't really connected to the depth of the CB corps).

Matthew Jones
03-15-2009, 01:28 PM

That's true. For my rankings, I chose Davis even though he didn't have quite the accolades (although he was named Big-Ten All Freshman Team 2006, and All-Big Ten First Team in 2007 and 2008) because he looked much better in positional drills at the Combine to me, much more fluid. He's also supposedly seemed alright in the character department during interviews, and he has by far more potential than Jenkins. Jenkins is more complete right now and is #2. I have Sean Smith #3 because he's 6'4", has great speed, and matches up well against almost anyone, plus can play some safety too. Alphonso Smith is the best ballhawk in this draft and is the #4 because of that. He'd be #3 if the size difference between him and Sean Smith wasn't so great (seven inches.) Byrd is stronger and more of a playmaker than Butler (zone coverage superiority), but Butler is better in man. I prefer zone. Butler also didn't make plays last year (as a UConn fan, I saw him a lot.) Coye Francies looked absolutely terrific in the Senior Bowl practices and is rising. Very physical and has good measurables. D.J. Moore is too short to be a #1 like the other ones can be, and Macho and Mickens are a little slow/stiff, although all three of the third round corners earned a spot in the top 10 because they all make plays with the ball in their hands and generally do a good job of getting their hands on passes.

BeerBaron
03-15-2009, 01:34 PM
This may be cheating a little, but heres how I had them in order in my recent mock draft along with whereabouts they went:

1.) Malcolm Jenkins, Top 10 (ok, he really went 11, so sue me.)
2.) Vontae Davis, Top 20
3.) Alphonso Smith, First round
4.) Sean Smith, First round
5.) DJ Moore, First round
6.) Darius Butler, Mid 2nd
7.) Jarius Byrd, Mid-late 2nd
8.) Coye Francis, Mid-late 2nd
9.) Sherrod Martin, Early 3rd
10.) Mike Mickens, Early 3rd
11.) Kevin Barnes, Mid 4th
12.) Keenan Lewis, Mid 4th
13.) Brandon Underwood, Late 4th
14.) DeAngelo Smith, Late 5th
15.) Bradley Fletcher, Mid 6th
16.) Dominique Johnson, Mid 6th
17.) Asher Allen, Mid 6th
18.) Bruce Johnson, Early 7th
19.) Captain Munnerlyn, Mid 7th
20.) Cary Harris, Late 7th

And then I had Mark Parson and Wopamo Osaisai as my top 2 undrafteds at the position.

edit: oh, and Macho Harris is in there somewhere. I missed him scanning over my draft....he's a late 3rd round pick.

abaddon41_80
03-15-2009, 01:39 PM
1. Joe Burnett
2. Vontae Davis
3. Malcolm Jenkins
4. Darius Butler
6. Sean Smith
6. Mike Mickens
7. Alphonso Smith
8. Jairus Bryd
9. D.J. Moore
10. Macho Harris

03-15-2009, 01:44 PM
1. Vontae Davis, Illinois
2. Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State
3. Sean Smith, Utah
4. Jairus Byrd, Oregon
5. Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest
6. Darius Butler, Connecticut
7. D.J. Moore, Vanderbilt
8. Coye Francies, San Jose State
9. Mike Mickens, Cincinatti
10. Sherrod Martin, Troy

jnew76
03-15-2009, 02:39 PM
I see 4 DB's going in the first round, but I think scheme dictates who selects them.

First Rounders

1. Malcolm Jenkins - He is a Safety or Cover 2 corner, but should be pro-bowler at either position. (Top 14, will not make it past New Orleans as a Safety) -
2. Darius Butler - He is the best pure cover corner, but there is no elite cover corner in the draft. (Top 15-25)
3. Vontae Davis - Most physically gifted package, but has risk. Benched this year. Looks lost at times, does not always diagnose routes well. (Top 15-30)
4. Alphonso Smith - Most instinctive and best playmaker. Might not be a good fit in any system. Is he physical enough to play cover 2? Is he big/fast enough to play press coverage or off man? (25-32)

Second round Grades for me -

Sean Smith - Matches up very well against bigger WR's, very versatile. Hips are good, but not great. (32-40)
DJ Moore - Ultra quick playmaker in the SEC, Lacks size and bulk. (35-45)
Keenan Lewis - Best Press man corner in the draft (40-60)
Coye Francies - Great hips, quickness and physicality - Pure Cover 2 Corner.(50+)
Jairus Byrd - Smooth athlete with good hips... 17 INT in 3 years (50+)

princefielder28
03-15-2009, 02:45 PM
1. Malcolm Jenkins | Ohio State
2. DJ Moore | Vanderbilt*
3. Coye Francies | San Jose State
4. Alphonso Smith | Wake Forest
5. Vontae Davis | Illinois*
6. Victor Harris | Virginia Tech
7. Darius Butler | UCONN
8. Mark Parson | Ohio
9. Kevin Barnes | Maryland
10. Jarius Byrd | Oregon*
11. Mike Mickens | Cincinnati
12. DeAngelo Smith | Cincinnati
13. Domonique Johnson | Jackson State
14. Joe Burnett | Central Florida
15. Wopamo Osaisai | Stanford

TACKLE
03-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Tier 1

Malcolm Jenkins - very consistent, proven he can play at high level week in week out

Vontae Davis - Impressive physical skill set, nice size, a better cover guy than he gets credit

Darius Butler - He could be the best of the bunch, very athletic and very fluid in coverage though struggles against the run.

Tier 2

Jarius Byrd - Nice size, very productive over career, very instinctive, nice ball skills a really complete CB, good PR, can do it all

DJ Moore - Very good in coverage with great ball skills, aggressive, very good natural athlete, value as a PR, battle tested, willing tackler but size/build are questions, may struggle with big WR's

Alphonso Smith - Very good ball skills, will take chances, great instincts, competitor, can play the nickel, may stuggle with big physical NFL WR's, like not quite the player Flowers was a year a go and Flowers fell because of height + lack of elite speed.

Sean Smith - a freak athlete, high ceiling, question how fluid his hips and how quick his feet are, could be a dominant CB if he develops but also may not have a future in the NFL as a CB.

ThePudge
03-15-2009, 03:21 PM
he has by far more potential than Jenkins.

This confuses me. Malcolm Jenkins certainly has the potential to be a Pro-Bowl Cornerback or Free Safety. Am I putting him in Hawaii right now? No. I am saying he certainly has that capability. Why people are so low on him here is beyond me. The guy ran an average time but has everything else you'd look for.

Jenkins is big, tough, naturally athletic, very quick, has excellent ball-skills, durable, has top instincts, a quick backpedal, is tremendous against the run, gets off blocks well, changes direction well, is a vocal leader, extremely experienced, is polished, a very focused young man, and most importantly, was perhaps the top Cornerback in college football the past two seasons.

If he plays Free Safety in the NFL it's not because he can't play Cornerback, it's because he also happens to be a hell of a FS prospect. His strengths happen to fit exactly what a top FS prospect should look like. He has all the tools to be a top Free Safety except for experience at the position. A much better prospect than former Ohio State S/CB Donte Whitner who was a Top 10 pick.

Jacksonville (8), Green Bay (9), Denver (12), New Orleans (14), and Houston (15) are all promising possibilities.

ThePudge
03-15-2009, 03:23 PM
As for the rankings, these are my latest.

1. Malcolm Jenkins – Ohio State – Top 15 (FS)
2. Vontae Davis – Illinois – Top 20
3. Alphonso Smith – Wake Forest – Top 32
4. Sean Smith – Utah – Top 32 (FS)
5. Darius Butler – Connecticut – Late 1st-Early 2nd
6. Coye Francies – San Jose State – Second Round
7. D.J. Moore – Vanderbilt – Mid 2nd-Early 3rd
8. Jairus Byrd – Oregon – Mid 2nd-Early 3rd
9. Sherrod Martin – Troy – Late 2nd-Early 4th (FS)
10. Bradley Fletcher – Iowa – Mid 3rd-Late 4th
11. Mark Parson – Ohio – Mid 3rd-Early 5th
12. Kevin Barnes – Maryland – Mid 3rd-Late 4th
13. Keenan Lewis – Oregon State – Mid 3rd-Early 5th
14. Cary Harris – USC – Late 3rd-Late 4th
15. Bruce Johnson – Miami – Late 3rd-Late 4th
16. Donald Washington – Ohio State – Mid 3rd-Mid 5th
17. Victor “Macho” Harris – Virginia Tech – Early 4th-Mid 5th
18. Mike Mickens – Cincinnati – Early 4th-Mid 5th
19. Asher Allen – Georgia – Early 4th-Mid 5th
20. Jerraud Powers – Auburn – Mid 4th-Early 6th
21. Captain Munnerlyn – South Carolina – Late 4th-Mid 6th
22. DeAngelo Smith – Cincinnati – Late 4th-Mid 6th (FS)
23. LaDarius Webb – Nicholls State – Early 5th-Late 6th
24. Chris Owens – San Jose State – Early 5th-Early 7th
25. Brandon Underwood – Cincinnati – Early 5th-Early 7th (FS)
26. Joe Burnett – Central Florida – Mid 5th-Mid 7th
27. Ryan Palmer – Texas – Early 6th-UDFA
28. Domonique Johnson – Jackson State – Early 6th-UDFA
29. London Fryar – Western Michigan – Mid 6th-UDFA
30. Ellis Lankster – West Virginia – Mid 6th-UDFA
31. Jahi Word-Daniels – Georgia Tech – Late 6th-UDFA
32. Tony Carter – Florida State – 7th Round-UDFA
33. Brandon Hughes – Oregon – 7th Round-UDFA
34. Morgan Trent – Michigan – 7th Round-UDFA
35. Wopamo Osaisai – Stanford – 7th Round-UDFA

ThePudge
03-15-2009, 03:24 PM
1. Joe Burnett
2. Vontae Davis
3. Malcolm Jenkins
4. Darius Butler
6. Sean Smith
6. Mike Mickens
7. Alphonso Smith
8. Jairus Bryd
9. D.J. Moore
10. Macho Harris

Ok. I'll bite. Why?

Rodya's Redemption
03-15-2009, 03:29 PM
Mickens #18?!?!?

etk
03-15-2009, 03:43 PM
As for the rankings, these are my latest.

1. Malcolm Jenkins – Ohio State – Top 15 (FS)
2. Vontae Davis – Illinois – Top 20
3. Alphonso Smith – Wake Forest – Top 32
4. Sean Smith – Utah – Top 32 (FS)
5. Darius Butler – Connecticut – Late 1st-Early 2nd
6. Coye Francies – San Jose State – Second Round
7. D.J. Moore – Vanderbilt – Mid 2nd-Early 3rd
8. Jairus Byrd – Oregon – Mid 2nd-Early 3rd
9. Sherrod Martin – Troy – Late 2nd-Early 4th (FS)
10. Bradley Fletcher – Iowa – Mid 3rd-Late 4th
11. Mark Parson – Ohio – Mid 3rd-Early 5th
12. Kevin Barnes – Maryland – Mid 3rd-Late 4th
13. Keenan Lewis – Oregon State – Mid 3rd-Early 5th
14. Cary Harris – USC – Late 3rd-Late 4th
15. Bruce Johnson – Miami – Late 3rd-Late 4th
16. Donald Washington – Ohio State – Mid 3rd-Mid 5th
17. Victor “Macho” Harris – Virginia Tech – Early 4th-Mid 5th
18. Mike Mickens – Cincinnati – Early 4th-Mid 5th
19. Asher Allen – Georgia – Early 4th-Mid 5th
20. Jerraud Powers – Auburn – Mid 4th-Early 6th
21. Captain Munnerlyn – South Carolina – Late 4th-Mid 6th
22. DeAngelo Smith – Cincinnati – Late 4th-Mid 6th (FS)
23. LaDarius Webb – Nicholls State – Early 5th-Late 6th
24. Chris Owens – San Jose State – Early 5th-Early 7th
25. Brandon Underwood – Cincinnati – Early 5th-Early 7th (FS)
26. Joe Burnett – Central Florida – Mid 5th-Mid 7th
27. Ryan Palmer – Texas – Early 6th-UDFA
28. Domonique Johnson – Jackson State – Early 6th-UDFA
29. London Fryar – Western Michigan – Mid 6th-UDFA
30. Ellis Lankster – West Virginia – Mid 6th-UDFA
31. Jahi Word-Daniels – Georgia Tech – Late 6th-UDFA
32. Tony Carter – Florida State – 7th Round-UDFA
33. Brandon Hughes – Oregon – 7th Round-UDFA
34. Morgan Trent – Michigan – 7th Round-UDFA
35. Wopamo Osaisai – Stanford – 7th Round-UDFA

lolwut????

Also - Brandon Hughes = Oregon State.

ThePudge
03-15-2009, 03:46 PM
lolwut????

Also - Brandon Hughes = Oregon State.

Tyro there on the Hughes, I finished my CB's right around 3 AM, thanks for pointing it out. Not sure what you're so thrown off about?

etk
03-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Tyro there on the Hughes, I finished my CB's right around 3 AM, thanks for pointing it out. Not sure what you're so thrown off about?

Yeah no worries about the typo, but you have Bruce Johnson awfully high and Donald Washington pretty high (although I'm only pointing him out because of your favorite college team).

I guess it's only a couple spots above where Scott has them, but those guys are both really overrated imo.

ThePudge
03-15-2009, 03:58 PM
Yeah no worries about the typo, but you have Bruce Johnson awfully high and Donald Washington pretty high (although I'm only pointing him out because of your favorite college team).

To be honest, I don't like Washington. I don't think he's near and early-mid round player on the field and would go late-undrafted if he were 5'10 185 and ran a 4.6. Still supposedly scouts and coaches have been in love with Washington after a Combine in which he looked very good, due to his size-athleticism and some have mentioned him as high as the Top 30-40 (which I also find ridiculous.) As for Bruce Johnson, I think he has the talent, ability, and experience to be a nice #3 at the NFL level. He's a bit lower on my big board.

Pitt
03-15-2009, 04:18 PM
A prediction of how they'll be ranked 3 years from now. Past the "prospect hype" stage. Of course these may be scewed by which team these guys end up on (i.e. Sean Smith going to a franchise like Pittsburgh/New England).

#1 - Sean Smith Utah
#2 - Malcolm Jenkins Ohio State
(yes I think both will be CB's)
#3 - Mike Mickens Cincinnati
#4 - Vontae Davis Illinois
#5 - Alphonso Smith Wake Forest
#6 - Dominique Johnson Jackson State
#7 - Victor Harris Virginia Tech
#8 - Darius Butler Connecticut
#9 - D.J. Moore Vanderbilt
#10 - Sherrod Martin Troy
#11 - Keenan Lewis Oregon State
#12 - Jarius Byrd Oregon
#13 - Coye Francies San Jose State
#14 - Asher Allen Georgia
#15 - Bruce Johnson Miami

marshallb
03-15-2009, 04:30 PM
Here is my top 15:
1. Malcolm jenkins
2. Alphonso Smith
3. Vontae Davis
4. DJ Moore
5. Sean Smith
6. Darius Butler
7. Jairus Byrd
8. Coye Francies
9. Macho Harris
10. Mike Mickens
11. Kevin Barnes
12. Sherrod Martin
13. Keenan Lewis
14. Brandon Underwood
15. Cary Harris

abaddon41_80
03-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Ok. I'll bite. Why?

Bite on what? It is pretty obvious the Joe Burnett is the best corner in the class because he played for the Golden Knights :rolleyes:

But seriously, he is in my top 10.

DiG
03-15-2009, 06:12 PM
i really dont agree with the people that are saying Jenkins is more suited for FS. I think he has all the tools to play CB and has done nothing to prove otherwise. On the contrary I think his performance on the field has completely supported his future as an elite CB. I see him as a Shawn Springs type player (in terms of his play not his injuries)

etk
03-15-2009, 06:17 PM
To be honest, I don't like Washington. I don't think he's near and early-mid round player on the field and would go late-undrafted if he were 5'10 185 and ran a 4.6. Still supposedly scouts and coaches have been in love with Washington after a Combine in which he looked very good, due to his size-athleticism and some have mentioned him as high as the Top 30-40 (which I also find ridiculous.) As for Bruce Johnson, I think he has the talent, ability, and experience to be a nice #3 at the NFL level. He's a bit lower on my big board.

I don't have a problem with your assessment, however the players you have ranked below them are actually starting caliber good corners. 17-21.

And if we're talking about potential, I'll take the potential of Ellis Lankster or Brandon Hughes over Johnson/Washington.

Rjspartan
03-15-2009, 06:37 PM
Looking at the new D.J. Moore scouting report, I have been thinking about how I am ranking my corners in this draft, and can't seem to separate that second tier very well. What are your views? I am more looking for PREDICTIONS on draft day rather than "I think Vontae Davis sucks, and he is my #10 corner." We all know Davis is going in the first round. Let's take a look at what I have been doing:

Tier 1:

Malcolm Jenkins (Looks more and more like he is moving to safety though)

Vontae Davis (maybe you don't think he will be a good pro, but you can't argue with him as a prospect).

Here is where it gets tricky:

Tier 2:

D.J. Moore (Do his return skills put him as the third corner off the board? Still a lack of height and maybe his ball skills aren't quite as good as Alphonso Smith)

Alphonso Smith (Same height as D.J, and so many positive about him, looked great at the Senior Bowl. Is he def. above Moore now?)

Sean Smith (I know the board loves him, and his versatility does mean something. He is big, still fast, but isn't as polished as the others yet)

Jairus Byrd (Scott has touted him, and I watched a bit of tape. Seems to have the full package, but not excellent at anything per say. Just a solid solid corner. Should he be higher?)

Darius Butler (Has he moved up into the late 1st/early 2nd range? I like him, especially as a returner, but he just doesn't seem to stick to corners like he should, thus why I had him as Late 2nd/Early 3rd. Is the rise warranted?)

Coye Francies (He has been inconsistent in the offseason, but a solid developmental guy who I think can still go late 2nd)

So, what is your rankings of how you think the corners will fall on draft day?
Those were mine, but I am still very uneasy about how I have it matched up. Perhaps I am still in the stone age a bit on how I have graded these guys and it has changed? Set me straight!

i agree with this 100%

I KNOW IT ALL
03-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Alphonso Smith is underrated I think. I love how this kid plays the game and his work ethic is unquestionable. Outside of Jenkins, I think he's the most sure-thing in this draft as far as defensive backs go.

TitanHope
03-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Oh boy, this is gonna be tough... I can't list them in an order that they'll be drafted, cuz every team looks for something specific. For example, I use the adjective "Titans CB" when talking about prospects in the Titans Forums cuz of the identity that Cortland Finnegan, Nick Harper, and Eric King instilled this season by their physical play. But, here are my thoughts tier wise on my fav DB's:

1st Tier:

Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State - Redundant, we all know he's good.

Vontae Davis, Illinois - Again, redundant.

Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest - Dude's a lil badass. Don't understand the worries that he's not physical. It looks like he takes pleasure in popping people. Has incredibad instincts when it comes to ball skills and what to do with it in his hands. When I see players who have the INT return ability, I know they can be good Punt Returners. Love, love, love his swagger. It looks like he just torments opposing QB's and WR's on film. His jamming and press ability is hindered by his size, but his tenacity helps make up for it.

2nd Tier:

Darius Butler, Connecticut - Athleticism is crazy, and I think he may have the best straight-line game speed among my listed CB's. Played in some special offensive packages as UConn. He can be a returner, but I like him at KR, not PR. I don't like his hips as much as I do some others, and I like fluid hips in my PR's. Height is good, and weight is ok. Good hands, and boy can he jump. He's got some of his dunks on YouTube with windmills and everything. I like his instincts and run-support willingness. Maybe needs to wrap up better. I agree with JBond that he needs to stay tighter in his coverage.

DJ Moore, Vanderbilt - A personal fav of mine. Saw him play live against Boston College, and he was unreal until he hurt his ankle on an awesome Pass Deflection, which he had the awareness to tip to his SS for an INT. Very much like Alphonso Smith. The best Punt Returner of the group, and I think he can be a middle-class man's PacMan Jones in that regard. Smart and opportunistic. I actually think he is a good tackler and takes good angles, and a lot of times it was him having to come up and make the tackle cuz the other Vandy defenders couldn't seal the edge. Shorty, but is stout. Terrific hands and ball skills, and played WR at times. Doesn't really stay tight in his coverage, but has excellent timing and can recover easily to defend the pass. Not the best at getting off his blocks, but is slippery and can avoid blocking WR's. Limited jam with his size, but unlike Alphonso, he doesn't have the fiestyness to make up for it.

Mike Mickens - I like him a lot too. Kinda reminds me of Nick Harper, but with a much higher ceiling. I like his length. He uses his hands very well when fending off blockers, and his long arms only compound that. He's not a returner though. Reads and reacts well. Soft hands, but not as dynamic after the catch. Supports the run very well. I think him tending to give a cushion is made up a little bit by his length. He's rather under-rated in my opinion. Maybe a lankier, little less athletic Darius Butler?

There are definitely other guys like Sean Smith, Jairus Byrd, Victor Harris, and others, but I haven't really seen that much of them as of now.