PDA

View Full Version : Draft magazines?

Matthew Jones
03-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Hopefully this isn't against any rules, but has anyone here gotten any draft magazines this year? If so, how are they? I'm still waiting for Pro Football Weekly's draft book but I don't think it's out yet.

Buc Baller12
03-15-2009, 02:09 PM
I got my mag yesterday. Lindy's draft guide.

Matthew Jones
03-15-2009, 02:10 PM
I got my mag yesterday. Lindy's draft guide.

How does it look? I might get one to tide me over until the PFW book comes out.

Buc Baller12
03-15-2009, 02:21 PM
It's all right. They gave a good analysis on each of the prospects at each position and a pro comparison. Sleeper and bust prospects plus each teams needs and analysis. But some of the analysis of the teams can be accurate because I think the mag was already created before free agency and trades. For example it says Cassell is still on the pats and the bucs haven't signed Ward yet. I'm not interested in the mocks i am more interested in the prospect analysis strengths and weaknesses.

Matthew Jones
03-15-2009, 02:23 PM
It's all right. They gave a good analysis on each of the prospects at each position and a pro comparison. Sleeper and bust prospects plus each teams needs and analysis. But some of the analysis of the teams can be accurate because I think the mag was already created before free agency and trades. For example it says Cassell is still on the pats and the bucs haven't signed Ward yet. I'm not interested in the mocks i am more interested in the prospect analysis strengths and weaknesses.

Agreed. Is the analysis pretty good though, or not really?

Buc Baller12
03-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Agreed. Is the analysis pretty good though, or not really?

They give a better and well thought analysis on the top prospects at each position ( Ex Stafford and Crabtree) but the later prospects I think they could a better job. This is the 2nd straight year I've bought the magazine. I use different sources and opinions cause I gotta make my annual big board.

TheBuffaloBills
03-15-2009, 02:33 PM
I got two yesterday, the only two out. They're okay. There are a few flaws like Raji being ranked number 2. One had Alex Mack ranked 4th among Centers. I like to get the mags that have the combine factored in.

Buc Baller12
03-15-2009, 02:36 PM
I got two yesterday, the only two out. They're okay. There are a few flaws like Raji being ranked number 2. One had Alex Mack ranked 4th among Centers. I like to get the mags that have the combine factored in.

I'm pretty sure with Lindy's they include the combine results. They don't have FA and trades factored in yet. Um so the mock draft can be inaccurate.

Matthew Jones
03-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Has anyone ever bought Mel Kiper's draft guide? I think that'd be pretty neat.

CashmoneyDrew
03-15-2009, 03:53 PM
I've got the Lindy's one. It's pretty decent. It's the only one I've seen on book shelves.

Buc Baller12
03-15-2009, 03:54 PM

It cost more than 20 bucks I think.

jnew76
03-15-2009, 04:32 PM

I used to have the 1997 copy. It was called the Mel Kiper Blue Book. It was fantastic at the time... Easily the best reference for anyone not employed by an NFL team. It was about 200 pages, paperback, with black and white photos. It had great in depth write-ups on about the top 100 prospects. Around 350 total prospects with at least a paragraph on all of them. In depth look at team needs and rosters. Excellent sleeper and small school prospects section. The main problem was that it was written and published pre-combine (I think) and access to those times and numbers was very limited. I think he ended up profiling 85-90% of the players drafted which is very good IMO. No doubt he is the king.

Wish I still had it.

Brown Leader
03-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Pro football Weekly is out. I got it last week. Got some interesting scouting with upside/downside. For instance it says Harvin is "not a likable personality and rubs teammates the wrong way" News to me. Has Nicks #9 WR and a likely 2nd or 3rd draft pick. Has Cadogan as the #6 OT, Bryd as the #2 CB and McBath as the #4 S.

Shere Khan
03-15-2009, 04:55 PM
I like the PFW magazine too, because it has phrases and terms not often used....like when they described Beatty, they said he 'was a cake eater and played like he didn't want to get his hands dirty'

very telling and colorful analysis, IMO.

Matthew Jones
03-15-2009, 04:56 PM
Was PFW a magazine, though, or a book? I'm looking for the $20 book.

ThePudge
03-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Pro football Weekly is out. I got it last week. Got some interesting scouting with upside/downside. For instance it says Harvin is "not a likable personality and rubs teammates the wrong way" News to me. Has Nicks #9 WR and a likely 2nd or 3rd draft pick. Has Cadogan as the #6 OT, Bryd as the #2 CB and McBath as the #4 S.

Nolan Nawrocki's good, he makes some great bold predictions at times. He also had Johnathan Joseph rated 24th among corners back in 2006, so he runs hot and cold. I'm trying to pick up that magazine tomorrow. Finals week this week so I have no class, I'll need something to do for all that time.

DeathbyStat
03-15-2009, 06:47 PM
I thought the the scouting reports in Lindy's were really good this year

Chachi
03-15-2009, 07:36 PM
Was PFW a magazine, though, or a book? I'm looking for the $20 book.

I got the magazine and there is a page in it about the book you're referencing. It says the book will be ready for shipping the first week in April and it's 19.95.

Hines
03-16-2009, 12:58 AM
I picked up PFW the other day. I gotten it two years in a row. If ESPN had a magazine coming out, I would've gotten that. I don't really like Lindy's at all.

bigbluedefense
03-16-2009, 11:49 AM
I picked up PFW the other day. I gotten it two years in a row. If ESPN had a magazine coming out, I would've gotten that. I don't really like Lindy's at all.

I bought an ESPN one a couple of years back, and I loved it. Are they making one this year?

If not, which one is the best to get, bc I definitely plan on buying something this year.

Hines
03-16-2009, 11:51 AM
I bought an ESPN one a couple of years back, and I loved it. Are they making one this year?

If not, which one is the best to get, bc I definitely plan on buying something this year.

I wished they kept on making the ESPN one, as it had more in depth analyst IMO. They haven't made one the past two years. I don't know why they stopped making them.

But IMO, I would go with PFW. The rankings and predictions are bold, but it is a pretty good read.

bored of education
03-16-2009, 11:52 AM
I don't need magazines when I have SWDC!

etk
03-16-2009, 11:57 AM

I always buy PFW. They make bold predictions and are firm on what they see on tape. They give the uncut descriptions and analysis and I like that.

They bring up "coachability" often with some of the players and most of the time it's on someone you wouldn't expect/didn't know about. They obviously have great connections and dig for info on work ethic, leadership, etc.

ndbigdave
03-16-2009, 12:41 PM
I have been buying draft magazines for over a decade, and though I cant say I still have EVERY issue, I do have many of them. They are wonderful resources and a good source of a chuckle or two as the years go by.

I love them as they are portable, I can open it up at lunch or do the "bathroom reading" at home as well.

I also enjoy flipping through the magazines as late 2nd early 3rd roles around to get what usually is pretty contrasting/differentiating opinions by the magazines.

I currently have Lindy's and PFW magazine - I did really enjoy ESPN's draft mag from a few years back, and I really got started with my draft insanity with the Sporting News Draft Magazine.

I am 24 now and I have been following the draft like a nut case for now over a decade - kindof makes me laugh thinking back to when I was 12 or so, making draft predictions, writing on the boards and looking for someone...anyone...as insane about it as I was.

What a home here at SWDC!

ndbigdave
03-16-2009, 12:43 PM
As far as which magazines are "best" its really a matter of opinion - they all have their own style for presenting info - obviously the "team needs" and the mock drafts are all near useless, so the real purchase is made for the prospect reviews, rankings and scouting reports.

Does anyone know if The Sporting News will be making their draft guide and why ESPN stopped doing theirs?

Thunder&Lightning
03-16-2009, 01:00 PM
PFW is good. I dont like to buy magazines tend to be a waste of $. They become outdated, the internet is the best source for the Draft.

Iamcanadian
03-17-2009, 12:46 PM
It is good toilet reading but most of them if not all, come out without any updates based on combine or pro day results. They are hardly reliable but I still read them on the king's chair.
This year Pro football Weekly put one out in September which was an excellent guide leading into the NFL season.

Matthew Jones
03-17-2009, 02:16 PM
It is good toilet reading but most of them if not all, come out without any updates based on combine or pro day results. They are hardly reliable but I still read them on the king's chair.
This year Pro football Weekly put one out in September which was an excellent guide leading into the NFL season.

PFW does that every year and I tend to agree that it's not bad. PFW also includes combine information in the draft book.