PDA

View Full Version : The ceiling and floors of the available prospects

initial_flo
03-15-2009, 10:20 PM
I guess this is somewhat similar to the prospect comparison thread...

Michael Crabtree: Andre Johnson ~ Bobby Ingram
Chris Wells: Jamal Lewis ~ Ron Dayne
Josh Freeman: Viking Dante Cullpepperesque ~ The current Jamarcus Russell

I guess you could either write up player comparisons or perennial pro bowler or bagger at walmart or whatever.

Post em up

BeerBaron
03-15-2009, 10:42 PM
I'll try my hand...I'm usually pretty lousy at comparisons though, heh. I'll try and keep my low ends within reason...I suppose for example any QB could turn out to be the next Ryan Leaf, but that really is worst case scenario.

Matt Stafford: Jay Cutler ~ Kellen Clemens (assuming he doesn't magically turn it on this season)

DHB: Randy Moss (but a little shorter) ~ Troy Williamson

Maclin: Reggie Wayne (but a little faster) ~ Mark Clayton (assuming he doesn't suddenly come alive this season)

Blegh...I'm bad at this.

Matthew Jones
03-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Some for offense, not too good at this:

Matthew Stafford - Jay Cutler/Kerry Collins
Mark Sanchez - Aaron Rodgers/Trent Edwards
Josh Freeman - Prime Daunte Culpepper/Derek Anderson

Chris Wells - Michael Turner/Rashad Mendenhell
Knowshon Moreno - Clinton Portis/Laurence Maroney

Michael Crabtree - Larry Fitzgerald/Amani Toomer
Jeremy Maclin - Lee Evans/Ted Ginn
Darrius Heyward-Bey - Roddy White/Troy Williamson

Brandon Pettigrew - Daniel Graham/Kyle Brady

Andre Smith - Shawn Andrews/Mike Williams
Jason Smith - Walter Smith/Chris Williams
Eugene Monroe - Branden Albert/D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Michael Oher - Ryan Clady/Khalif Barnes

BeerBaron
03-15-2009, 10:51 PM
Wait now RoP, we really don't know how some of your downside guys are going to be just yet.

Trent Edwards, Mendenhall, Ginn and Chris Williams could all still be pretty good. And Collins and Toomer were pretty good in their primes as well.

Michigan
03-15-2009, 11:13 PM
Wait now RoP, we really don't know how some of your downside guys are going to be just yet.

Trent Edwards, Mendenhall, Ginn and Chris Williams could all still be pretty good. And Collins and Toomer were pretty good in their primes as well.

That just means he thinks Stafford and Crabtree have high floors.

Matthew Jones
03-15-2009, 11:16 PM

I think Stafford/Crabtree will both be pretty good, but Stafford could end up bouncing around to some other teams and being a backup if Detroit doesn't develop him right (which there's a pretty good chance of.) I'm basing the four you mentioned on how they have been so far.

SenorGato
03-15-2009, 11:26 PM
Michael Crabtree - Dwayne Bowe - Jerricho Cotchery

Kenny Britt - Braylon Edwards - Bryant Johnson/many other fail WR's

LeSean McCoy - LaDanian Tomlinson - Thomas Jones

Jarron Gilbert - Trevor Pryce - Shaun Cody? Iunno...fail DE/DT

Malcolm Jenkins - Aso - Antrel Rolle

Vontae Davis - Darrelle Revis - fail CBs

Antonio Dixon - Jason Ferguson - The guy Cleveland drafted a couple years ago from Stanford.

Sammie Lee Hill - Ty Warren or younger Kris Jenkins - Fail big man

Will Johnson - Igor Olshansky - Kenyon Coleman

David Bruton - Kerry Rhdoes - KO Simpson?

Clint Sintim - Adalius Thomas - Karlos Dansby - I think very highly of Sintim. I think he'll be a very good NFL LBer.

John Phillips - John Carson - Bust prototypical TE's...maybe Sean Ryan of the Jets I guess...but theres a ton of them.

Brandon Pettigrew - Daniel Graham - Kyle Brady - Chris Baker

Paul Kruger - Mike Vrabel? - Bust DE's who could also play LB

Rulon Davis - Kenyon Coleman - Nobodies/Neverweres

Adrian Grady - Kelly Gregg - ^^

ThePudge
03-15-2009, 11:34 PM
Chris "Beanie" Wells - Fred Taylor ---> Cedric Benson. I recently heard the Wells to Taylor comparison and I have to say I may prefer it to the typical Jamal Lewis. Benson still has the opportunity to be a good NFL player as his stint toward the middle-end of last season was very impressive. Just wanted to throw a new one out there.

etk
03-15-2009, 11:47 PM
Chris "Beanie" Wells - Fred Taylor ---> Cedric Benson. I recently heard the Wells to Taylor comparison and I have to say I may prefer it to the typical Jamal Lewis. Benson still has the opportunity to be a good NFL player as his stint toward the middle-end of last season was very impressive. Just wanted to throw a new one out there.

I agree. Taylor is a better home-run threat and has more long speed/explosiveness. Jamal Lewis is a power back all the way. Wells is not as powerful as he looks imo.

I don't agree with Cedric Benson as his floor though. I'd go with TJ Duckett.

I KNOW IT ALL
03-15-2009, 11:55 PM
Some for offense, not too good at this:

Matthew Stafford - Jay Cutler/Kerry Collins
Mark Sanchez - Aaron Rodgers/Trent Edwards
Josh Freeman - Prime Daunte Culpepper/Derek Anderson

Chris Wells - Michael Turner/Rashad Mendenhell
Knowshon Moreno - Clinton Portis/Laurence Maroney

Michael Crabtree - Larry Fitzgerald/Amani Toomer
Jeremy Maclin - Lee Evans/Ted Ginn
Darrius Heyward-Bey - Roddy White/Troy Williamson

Brandon Pettigrew - Daniel Graham/Kyle Brady

Andre Smith - Shawn Andrews/Mike Williams
Jason Smith - Walter Smith/Chris Williams
Eugene Monroe - Branden Albert/D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Michael Oher - Ryan Clady/Khalif Barnes

I really like the Stafford/Cutler and Sanchez/Rodgers comparisons.

Same goes for Moreno/Portis and Crabtree/Fitzgerald.

yourfavestoner
03-16-2009, 01:06 AM

I can see that if we're talking about the Fred Taylor in the Jack Del Rio era. Under Coughlin, Fred was a bottle of lightning, a legit 4.3 guy with amazing vision and cutback ability. He was incredibly elusive. Once the Del Rio era started and Taylor began slowing down, he started becoming a much better inside runner. He finally realized that he was 230 lbs learned to use his body and his strength and fall forward.

On another note, I also feel Fred would have been considered to be a top three talent had he gone to a school that featured him more as a runner.
Fred vs FSU:
KaDGtAmDE5Q

Go to the 1:30 mark
DIbxZzWGEAE

TACKLE
03-16-2009, 01:15 AM
What do you expect? He's from the Muck.

Although I know Taylor was faster, Beanie has some speed.

gUL0rZ_2tuI

yourfavestoner
03-16-2009, 01:35 AM
What do you expect? He's from the Muck.

Although I know Taylor was faster, Beanie has some speed.

gUL0rZ_2tuI

Oh, I know he's got speed. He's nowhere near as elusive as Taylor was though.

djp
03-16-2009, 02:48 AM
Darrius Heyward-Bey : Ceiling : Santana Moss | Floor : Troy Williamson

etk
03-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Oh, I know he's got speed. He's nowhere near as elusive as Taylor was though.

He's not elusive in the open field, but he can make a cut in the hole and go from there.