PDA

View Full Version : Twitter

cdub11
03-16-2009, 11:13 AM
I have been hearing a lot of people talking about twitter recently... Does anyone use it?

CashmoneyDrew
03-16-2009, 11:16 AM
I have been hearing a lot of people talking about twitter recently... Does anyone use it?

I use it pretty sparingly. A lot of my friends aren't on it and it just seems like a glorified status update from Facebook to me.

etk
03-16-2009, 11:24 AM

Me too. 2 weeks ago I never heard of this thing but suddenly it's everywhere: TV, newspaper, EVERY internet site.

It's like some random conspiracy that's being forced on me.

I do think it's a cool idea though. Quick, simple updates are really beneficial for a lot of people/groups/companies.

But why does it all have to rain down on me so abruptly?

Hollywood
03-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Concur with all of the above. I am hoping someone uses this though as I'd love to know the benefits of it above simple text messages and/or Email??? What is the point?

Brent
03-16-2009, 11:28 AM
What is the point?
I am told it is just like Facebook status updates, which is to say, there is no point. It's literally telling people what you are doing/thinking. It's worthless.

slightlyaraiderfan
03-16-2009, 11:28 AM
twitter is for girls!

etk
03-16-2009, 11:33 AM
I am told it is just like Facebook status updates, which is to say, there is no point. It's literally telling people what you are doing/thinking. It's worthless.

Updating your thoughts is pointless, but there are benefits. You can update what you're doing/where you're going and makes coordination easier.

This is especially true for someone who's trying to communicate with a large group of people, as facebook is only accessible if you have an account/are friends with the person. With twitter you can send out free messages to everyone that's interested.

You can do this with Myspace but it's not as convenient.

For example, if you're an amateur draft analyst with a cult following of fans, you can update your twitter every time you're streaming online and people will know that they can go watch.

Brent
03-16-2009, 11:34 AM
For example, if you're an amateur draft analyst with a cult following of fans, you can update your twitter every time you're streaming online and people will know that they can go watch.
are you referring to yourself?

ElectricEye
03-16-2009, 11:36 AM
Updating your thoughts is pointless, but there are benefits. You can update what you're doing/where you're going and makes coordination easier.

This is especially true for someone who's trying to communicate with a large group of people, as facebook is only accessible if you have an account/are friends with the person. With twitter you can send out free messages to everyone that's interested.

Call the people like a normal human being then. Don't get it at all. This isn't saving time. It's just giving people another thing to check to make them feel important. Pointless.

etk
are you referring to yourself?

Not at all, I was actually thinking of something else but I altered the story to make it relevant to this site.

Plus who would actually spend an hour+ of their time to watch some random dude talk about the draft....go do your own research in that time period.

But good joke.

Hollywood

You can do this with Myspace but it's not as convenient.

So does everyone else have to have twitter also? What I mean is that when you send out the message, where does it go? To their Email? Phone? I don't get it..

etk
03-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Call the people like a normal human being then. Don't get it at all. This isn't saving time. It's just giving people another thing to check to make them feel important. Pointless.

You're gonna call/text hundreds of people? That takes a lot of time, money and effort.

ElectricEye
03-16-2009, 11:38 AM
You're gonna call/text hundreds of people? That takes a lot of time, money and effort.

How many of us have to coordinate things with hundreds of people?

etk
03-16-2009, 11:39 AM
So does everyone else have to have twitter also? What I mean is that when you send out the message, where does it go? To their Email? Phone? I don't get it..

All I know is that the person's twitter page is accessible for free. I don't know about auto-updates on your phone/email but you probably have to make an account to do that.

Another example: Bryce Brown updates his touring schedule, recruiting stories and thoughts. No need to pay for your own webpage and domain....just make a twitter account.

etk
03-16-2009, 11:39 AM
How many of us have to coordinate things with hundreds of people?

Not everyday people....groups, organizations, companies, performers, etc.

Hollywood
03-16-2009, 11:41 AM
<---- signing up for Twitter right now...

ElectricEye
03-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Not everyday people....groups, organizations, companies, performers, etc.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see the point in that. Those entities have NEVER had problems putting things of that nature together. There's always ways to get the word out. Ways similar to this even. Just seems like a big fad.

etk
03-16-2009, 11:45 AM
I'm sorry, but I just don't see the point in that. Those entities have NEVER had problems putting things of that nature together. There's always ways to get the word out. Ways similar to this even. Just seems like a big fad.

It's just an extra resource. There's nothing incorrect with what you said, however twitter helps that extra bit, so why not?

A band can update their official site, fanpage, myspace and twitter along with countless other promotional resources. Every resource counts.

You might not see it as an invaluable ingenious creation (I don't either), but it has it's benefits and doesn't hurt anyone.

It's definitely a big fad, but it's not all bad. It's convenient and accessible, which many people like. In fact, this generation is all about making everything easier and concentrated: tabbed browsing, facebook, youtube, etc.

bored of education
03-16-2009, 11:45 AM
<---- signing up for Twitter right now...

I will be today after work!!!!!!!!

ElectricEye
03-16-2009, 11:50 AM
It's definitely a big fad, but it's not all bad. It's convenient and accessible, which many people like. In fact, this generation is all about making everything easier and concentrated: tabbed browsing, facebook, youtube, etc.

Eh, social technology as a whole is pretty god damned destructive as a whole. This one just seems particularly pointless. The problem with the entire another resource for organizations thing is that eventually leads to over saturation and makes information more esoteric and harder to access. We're already seeing a bit of that already.

The social aspect of this is flatout pointless. If you're so curious about what someone is doing, why not just ask? Just seems like another way for people to make themselves feel important.

Hollywood
03-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Ok I just signed up. my username is HollywoodPrime (everything was taken!) so now what? Someone twitter me. I had to change my name though as I just realized anyone can see it...

etk
03-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Eh, social technology as a whole is pretty god damned destructive as a whole. This one just seems particularly pointless. The problem with the entire another resource for organizations thing is that eventually leads to over saturation and makes information more esoteric and harder to access. We're already seeing a bit of that already.

The social aspect of this is flatout pointless. If you're so curious about what someone is doing, why not just ask? Just seems like another way for people to make themselves feel important.

DUHHHHH??????? Everyone wants to be a superstar today. This is like the #1 reason why I don't have facebook, myspace, upload youtube videos, etc.

Hollywood
03-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Trent Reznor is my friend, btw...he keeps tweeting me. We are buddies.

EDIT: he just told me he's not wearing any pants. Not sure I like this tweet thing.

MetSox17
03-16-2009, 12:55 PM
I have an issue of Wired Magazine, of June 08 i believe, that has a huge article on some random girl gaining huge internet celebrity status using Twitter. It basically explained all the details and what not. It has been pretty popular for quite a while.

Personally i wouldn't bother with it, i communicate with my friends pretty easily through MySpace and Facebook, no need to get an account on Twitter just to update my status every 10 minutes. Besides, i think that would get kinda annoying.

thule
03-16-2009, 01:06 PM
I was reading some php articles today...and ran across how to implement twitter on a page....haha how ironic.

Nitschke-Hawk
03-16-2009, 03:38 PM
Only celebrities and important, busy people should partake.

MetSox17
03-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Only celebrities and important, busy people should partake.

If you haven't noticed, these days, any teen with a digital camera thinks he's a celebrity.

gameplaya2435
03-16-2009, 06:49 PM
If you haven't noticed, these days, any teen with a digital camera thinks she's a celebrity.

most guys don't give a ****.

And my life is way too uninteresting to have a twitter

*7:49 PM - I posted on a football forum. Yay?*

Caddy
03-16-2009, 09:03 PM
Twitter has exploded here in Australia the last few weeks and I really have no idea where it all came from. All of a sudden the media has a huge man/robot crush on Twitter.

I don't know if it is for me yet but seeing as I don't really have a mobile phone that could make good use of it I can't really comment on it.

diabsoule
03-16-2009, 09:09 PM
Damn near everyone I know has a Twitter account. It's just an internet fad that will die out soon enough. Whenever the local news station has an account and there are churches broadcasting their sermons through tweets then you know it has jumped the shark. And guess what? It has.

Tampa 2 4 life
03-16-2009, 09:23 PM
http://twitter.com/SaberToothedPie

FOLLOW ME EVERYONE ^_^

diabsoule
03-16-2009, 09:27 PM
I'm pretty sure that I don't want to follow anybody on here thats on twitter.

Strongside
03-16-2009, 09:38 PM
I've had twitter for a few days. I'm trying to figure out whether I enjoy it or not. It's alright I guess. I tend not to update it with the every **** I'm doing but rather just my random inane thoughts.

Beans
03-16-2009, 09:42 PM
i signed up a while ago but never used it

gonna try again though

kidcoelacanth

etk
03-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Watch Scott make a twitter account for the Senior Bowl next year.

I'm pretty sure that I don't want to follow anybody on here thats on twitter.

What about toonster? Or that ginger lady that seems to have disappeared?

ElectricEye
03-16-2009, 09:44 PM
If you haven't noticed, these days, any teen with a digital camera thinks he's a celebrity.

I think it's time to kill that, preferably with fire.

Strongside
03-16-2009, 09:47 PM
Watch Scott make a twitter account for the Senior Bowl next year.

I would enjoy that

M.O.T.H.
03-17-2009, 06:24 AM
I remember hearing all this talk about Twitter years ago...then it went away and now it's back in full force. I have no idea what anyone is talking about when they mention it, though.