PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Maclin vs. DeSean Jackson vs. Ted Ginn Jr.

Thunder&Lightning
03-16-2009, 01:22 PM
3 most explosive receivers in there respective drafts. Which was/is the best prospect going into the draft... or who is/was the most exsplosive.

katnip
03-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Maclin > Ted Ginn > Jackson

in my opinion

SeanTaylorRIP
03-16-2009, 01:27 PM
If we are talking prospects Maclin>Ginn>Jackson, Maclin as a prospect is in a whole different world as a receiver. As pro's I'd have Ginn last and Jackson #1 for now as we have yet to see Maclin in the pro's.

BuddyCHRIST
03-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Definitely Maclin first, then Ginn then Jackson. Jackson looks pretty good already but also had better QB play than Ginn did, and Ginn started to come around last year.

thetedginnshow
03-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Maclin may be the better receiver, but Harvin's more explosive than him.

thule
03-16-2009, 03:16 PM
As a WR coming out I'm going to go

Jackson>Maclin>Ginn

however as prospects and draftability taking in all NFL factors
Maclin>Jackson>Ginn

All guys have special teams ability....but Maclin and Ginn didn't have the WR abilities as Jackson coming out....I give maclin the overall because he has a better nfl body than jackson imo and a better WR then Ginn coming out.

Sloopy
03-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Definitely Maclin then Ginn then Jackson... Maclin is probably the least explosive prospect as far as the return game goes (Although he's still damn good) but Maclin is definatly a better receiver prospect than the other two. Ginn is the best return man in my opinion (although I am biased) and I'm just really not feeling Jackson. maybe its because I didn't get to see him that much in college but I just feel that he has been overrated as a return man and a reciever. Is it just me or is he a jack of all trades master of none

LonghornsLegend
03-16-2009, 03:53 PM

Jackson>Maclin>Ginn

Maclin>Jackson>Ginn

All guys have special teams ability....but Maclin and Ginn didn't have the WR abilities as Jackson coming out....I give maclin the overall because he has a better nfl body than jackson imo and a better WR then Ginn coming out.

I don't think Desean really got refined in his technique as a WR until he worked with Jerry Rice, and it improved from there...Maclin has always looked more natural and smooth as a WR though, Desean seemed to just run by guys more when Maclin was breaking DB's down with his route running more often.

Geo
03-16-2009, 03:54 PM
I liked DeSean Jackson more than Ginn, and I like Maclin more then Jackson.

Matthew Jones
In terms of explosiveness, Ginn was #1 and DeSean #2 coming out. Maclin is the most well-rounded prospect though.

gpngc
Jackson going in round two was the biggest head-scratcher of last years draft.

He must have really been a D-bag at the interviews.

Jackson was the best prospect of the three IMO. He was the best return man and the most polished receiver coming out. The only two negatives about him were his personality and the fact that he slimmed down to like 172 to run the 40.

I mean he's an idiot, but he's the better player IMO, although not by much.

Jackson slightly over Maclin. Ginn third.

BeerBaron
03-16-2009, 03:55 PM
I think Harvin compares more closely to Desean and Ginn....Maclin is a little bigger and 'thicker' than both of those guys to go with his speed.

thule
03-16-2009, 04:08 PM
I think Harvin compares more closely to Desean and Ginn....Maclin is a little bigger and 'thicker' than both of those guys to go with his speed.

Harvin is thick. He is thicker than Maclin.

Kase1
03-16-2009, 04:27 PM
I know ill be called a Homer, but what aobut Manningham???

roscoesdad27
03-16-2009, 04:33 PM
I know ill be called a Homer, but what aobut Manningham???

doesnt belong in the conversation....homer.

Kase1
03-16-2009, 04:39 PM
doesnt belong in the conversation....homer.

LOL I deserved that.... thank you

But b4 the weed charge he was in the discussion of being one of the best in that class

BeerBaron
03-16-2009, 04:43 PM
Harvin is thick. He is thicker than Maclin.

Harvin is an inch shorter and 6 pounds lighter than Maclin....I'm sure that can all be muscle or whatever, but he's not like thick.

When I picture a thick receiver I picture Boldin or Andre Johnson.

I was just saying that Maclin (198) is thicker than Ginn (180) or Desean (175.)

Harvin is closer to them than Maclin is was my point.

thule
03-16-2009, 04:52 PM
Harvin is an inch shorter and 6 pounds lighter than Maclin....I'm sure that can all be muscle or whatever, but he's not like thick.

When I picture a thick receiver I picture Boldin or Andre Johnson.

I was just saying that Maclin (198) is thicker than Ginn (180) or Desean (175.)

Harvin is closer to them than Maclin is was my point.

...he is definately thick
...my proof

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c34/vcferry/339530221_104_080725_harvinpercy_11.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c34/vcferry/339529806_096_080725_harvinpercy_11.jpg
http://gatorcountry.smugmug.com/photos/339525682_sAY9F-L.jpg
http://http://gatorcountry.smugmug.com/photos/339531992_SpHAd-M.jpg

ElectricEye
03-16-2009, 05:01 PM
I think I would go Maclin, Jackson, Ginn in terms of prospects. Jackson is probably the most explosive, with Maclin is probably the best pure wide receiver out of the bunch.

Flyboy
03-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Jackson going in round two was the biggest head-scratcher of last years draft.

He must have really been a D-bag at the interviews.

Jackson was the best prospect of the three IMO. He was the best return man and the most polished receiver coming out. The only two negatives about him were his personality and the fact that he slimmed down to like 172 to run the 40.

I mean he's an idiot, but he's the better player IMO, although not by much.

Jackson slightly over Maclin. Ginn third.

I'm with gpngc on this one. The minority sure, but Jackson is that good of a player to me.

the decider13
03-16-2009, 06:57 PM
Royal

/thread

Flyboy
03-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Who's gonna throw him the ball now?

Chris Simms?

OH, IT BURNS!

BRAVEHEART
03-16-2009, 07:08 PM

Jackson>Maclin>Ginn

Maclin>Jackson>Ginn

Bingo, right on the money.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-16-2009, 07:13 PM
I disagree completely that Jackson was a better collegiate receiver than Maclin. Jackson definitely made tremendous improvements between the end of his season to being drafted as someone mentioned working with JR definitely helped, but as a collegiate receiver DJax was very raw. He rounded off all of his routes. Maclin to me is easily the most polished collegiate receiver of the 3, but isn't as explosive as a returner as the other 2. I think people underrate Maclin as a receiver. Honestly I don't even think the team that drafts him necessarily puts him back there to return kicks. Maybe if they need to spark him but I don't think ST should really be weighted that heavily when you look at him like the other 2 were.

brat316
03-16-2009, 07:45 PM
http://blogs.trb.com/sports/football/jets/blog/jeremymaclin.jpg

http://images.stltoday.com/stltoday/resources/jeremymaclin625feb222009.jpg

Harvin looks bigger

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2009/0222/nfl_a_wallace_576.jpg

PACKmanN
03-16-2009, 07:52 PM
...he is definately thick
...my proof

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c34/vcferry/339530221_104_080725_harvinpercy_11.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c34/vcferry/339529806_096_080725_harvinpercy_11.jpg
http://gatorcountry.smugmug.com/photos/339525682_sAY9F-L.jpg
http://http://gatorcountry.smugmug.com/photos/339531992_SpHAd-M.jpg

wow, he has the body of a running back.

LonghornsLegend
03-16-2009, 08:00 PM
I disagree completely that Jackson was a better collegiate receiver than Maclin. Jackson definitely made tremendous improvements between the end of his season to being drafted as someone mentioned working with JR definitely helped, but as a collegiate receiver DJax was very raw. He rounded off all of his routes. Maclin to me is easily the most polished collegiate receiver of the 3, but isn't as explosive as a returner as the other 2. I think people underrate Maclin as a receiver. Honestly I don't even think the team that drafts him necessarily puts him back there to return kicks. Maybe if they need to spark him but I don't think ST should really be weighted that heavily when you look at him like the other 2 were.

I'm with you, I don't know why people feel Jackson was some superb route runner...If anyone goes back to look at Jackson's draft profile and scouting reports, more times then not in the 'negatives' department you will see that he needs to refine his route running...Yes he is incredibly quick with great hands, and he ran past people quite a bit, but he still never was more refined as a WR then Maclin is and I don't think it's even close.

the decider13
03-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Who's gonna throw him the ball now?

Chris Simms?

OH, IT BURNS!

oh you saints fans are just starting to get mean

jj45
03-16-2009, 08:36 PM
Honestly this may just be me and I hate florida players with passion but I see harvin as one of those guys who slips in the draft and I kinda don't want him to the bears I can see him surpising everyone being like a steve smith type guy simply because he is huge for a reciever and he can take pass forty yard untouched. Just my thoughts

yourfavestoner
03-16-2009, 09:05 PM
Honestly this may just be me and I hate florida players with passion but I see harvin as one of those guys who slips in the draft and I kinda don't want him to the bears I can see him surpising everyone being like a steve smith type guy simply because he is huge for a reciever and he can take pass forty yard untouched. Just my thoughts

I've got a weird feeling that Harvin is higher on teams' draft boards than most draftniks think and people will be surprised at where he is drafted. I don't think he makes it out of the top half of the first round.

the decider13
03-16-2009, 09:33 PM
I've got a weird feeling that Harvin is higher on teams' draft boards than most draftniks think and people will be surprised at where he is drafted. I don't think he makes it out of the top half of the first round.

I agree that Harvin will be coveted by some teams for how electric he is on the field. He prolly won't be nearly as good a receiver as Maclin, but he will be used as an everything, Reggie Bush kinda guy.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
03-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Harvin is way bigger than 180, whoever it was that listed his weight. He's closer to 200 pounds. I don't like the way he's carrying all that mass in his upper body and it's not evenly distributed to his legs also, but so long as he keeps his speed and can still make plays.

I hope no one is looking at Harvin to play RB, his future is WR, like Santana Moss.

As a Skins fan, we played Desean twice last year and the dude is flat SCARY! He destroyed our deep coverage twice that I remember and missed scoring TDs because he simply dropped the ball. Also, he's fairly durable for a WR under 180 pounds.
Glad to hear Ginn is developing, I thought he was gonna bust in the league, but I still feel Maclin will be a better WR overall than the three of them.

PACKmanN
03-16-2009, 10:17 PM
Harvin vs. Bush, go go go

idk, I'm pretty high on Harvin.

thule
03-17-2009, 10:43 AM

I don't have it bookmarked or anything...but a scout at the Cal pro day last year...said Jackson had the best hands of any WR he'd ever seen. That carried a lot of weight with me. All WR's coming out have route running concerns....so I'll give that category an even across the board.

thule
03-17-2009, 10:45 AM

Bush /endthread
He put it in Kim's butt which automatically means he's better.

03-17-2009, 10:59 AM

Again, different positions here. Bush's receiving totals are super impressive for a runner. If a team gives Harvin enough carries he could challenge his rushing toals. It'll be close between the two, for sure.

eaglesalltheway
03-18-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm with you, I don't know why people feel Jackson was some superb route runner...If anyone goes back to look at Jackson's draft profile and scouting reports, more times then not in the 'negatives' department you will see that he needs to refine his route running...Yes he is incredibly quick with great hands, and he ran past people quite a bit, but he still never was more refined as a WR then Maclin is and I don't think it's even close.

I agree, as a collegiate receiver, it is Maclin, and it isn't even that close. Maclin is vastly underrated as a WR, and I think he could be a great WR in the NFL. There really isn't any aspect of Maclin's game that is bad, DeSean had to improve his route running (did so with Rice) and several other aspects of his game needed fine tuning. As prospects, I'd say it is...

Maclin>DeSean>Ginn

In terms of explosiveness, I'd say Maclin is last, but as I said before, he is already closer to a finished item (actually DeSean may be just as close)than both the others.

And this is coming from an Eagles fan... That should tell you what I think about Maclin. Personally, if he somehow fell to 21, I'd want the Eagles to get him. Him and DeSean would be dangerous, to say the least.

keylime_5
03-18-2009, 02:59 PM
I'd say as prospects 1-Maclin, 2-Ginn Jr, 3-Jackson. Maclin is so good at making cuts while running full speed. Ginn has the best speed and balance, and is really quick off the line. Jackson is so much smaller and not as strong as the other two, but he is a fine player himself, I liked him more in his draft than I like Maclin, but Maclin has a higher ceiling I do admit.

Fogcity_faithful
03-19-2009, 02:13 AM
ginn=jackson>maclin. Because i am a homer for CAL and OSU. As someone pointed out all collegiate WR adjust to running routes. Ginn and jackson are dangerous with the ball in their hands, whether it be as a receiver or a returner. Maclin is a good receiver. But i would take the other two first.

Cicero
03-19-2009, 02:19 AM
Doesn't DHB have to be mentioned in this discussion?

Mr. Hero
03-19-2009, 02:31 AM
Doesn't DHB have to be mentioned in this discussion?

If you want to expand Percy Harvin deserves a shout, he's more explosive than any of these three and I prefer him to both Ginn and Jackson.

Cicero
03-19-2009, 03:18 AM
If you want to expand Percy Harvin deserves a shout, he's more explosive than any of these three and I prefer him to both Ginn and Jackson.

Ya, Harvin and DHB are both faster I think they deserve to be in this discussion.

NotRickJames
03-19-2009, 08:19 PM
Jeremy Maclin blows. He'll amount to nothing in the NFL. DeSean Jackson was the best prospect of these three, and it's not even close. Great hands, terrific speed/returner, good route runner. Maclin is a sub-par route runner, and those guys (sub-par route runners) are hard-pressed for success at the next level. Take a look at James Hardy.