PDA

View Full Version : Less Consistency in this Years Draft?

rockio42
03-16-2009, 07:57 PM
I have been wondering this for a while and was wondering if some of you guys felt the same that this year there seems to be less consistency as to where certain prospects will go in the draft, an example being guys like Robert Ayers being looked at from going in the Middle-Late 1st Round all the way to the middle of the 2nd and the same goes with guys like Jarron Gilbert and even Percy Harvin, not to mention you see Chris Wells go 5 in some mock and 25 in others (mostly caused by team needs, but still) there just seems to be less common thought on where some guys will go in the draft as there was with say the past two or three years...

Thoughts??

Yatta!
03-16-2009, 08:20 PM
I totally agree with this. A lot of prospects are throwing up very mixed opinions, some for good reason others not so much. Everytime I do a mock, I feel like I have either vastly overrated or underrated certain players. Tyson Jackson is another example top-10 to early 2nd. Hopefully it will become more clear cut as the draft gets nearer.

BeerBaron
03-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Yeah, theres still a lot of time before the draft. Things will eventually shake down...you'll hear of certain teams having certain players in for interviews and some guys will climb or fall on their pro days.....

Some guys will still have some question marks about them come draft day, I think Wells is one who's been mentioned here who we may not know for sure until the draft happens, but with more time, things will shake down and the ranges for prospects will become more consistent.

rockio42
03-16-2009, 08:35 PM
I totally agree with this. A lot of prospects are throwing up very mixed opinions, some for good reason others not so much. Everytime I do a mock, I feel like I have either vastly overrated or underrated certain players. Tyson Jackson is another example top-10 to early 2nd. Hopefully it will become more clear cut as the draft gets nearer.

Ya, I forgot to mention him...also Freeman seems to be another guy and even Peria Jerry who I think if he gets past the Lions at 20 he could fall kinda far...

BeerBaron
03-16-2009, 08:37 PM
Ya, I forgot to mention him...also Freeman seems to be another guy and even Peria Jerry who I think if he gets past the Lions at 20 he could fall kinda far...

He could fall kinda far if the Colts like Hood more, which is possible. I doubt he falls past the Lions at 33 though....

rockio42
03-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Yeah, theres still a lot of time before the draft. Things will eventually shake down...you'll hear of certain teams having certain players in for interviews and some guys will climb or fall on their pro days.....

Some guys will still have some question marks about them come draft day, I think Wells is one who's been mentioned here who we may not know for sure until the draft happens, but with more time, things will shake down and the ranges for prospects will become more consistent.

well ya I know its still only in mid-march and that we have another month and a half to go but even compared to last year it just seems that even at this time it had become a little clearer and had shaken out by now...

jnew76
03-16-2009, 08:59 PM
I think there are an abundance of second tier players this year. Players that are potential quality NFL starters, but not bonafide first round talents. Lots of value exists in the second round and even the top of the third.

Picks 20-75 will have less difference in talent than any draft in recent memory for me.

SenorGato
03-16-2009, 09:28 PM
Its because the NFL needs draft coverage and fever to start almost right after the season ends.

Even if they don't...they'd better because prospects are broken down almost immediately by fans.

Iamcanadian
03-16-2009, 11:08 PM
This is not a strong draft and is really lacking in elite type players. The seperation between the top 5 and the top 15 is really insignificant and the stars from this draft could come in any pick in the top 15. After the 20th pick we are looking at prospects who would grade out as 2nd rounders in a lot of drafts and we are going to see quite a few surprises come draft day as teams pick a player who they personally like but who other teams rank lower. I think it is a draft where the better GM's will excel and the weaker GM's end up with a lot of flops.
Any team in a rebuilding mode could come out of this draft with little substantial improvement.