PDA

View Full Version : Who in the top 10 has the biggest bust potential?

Black Bolt
03-17-2009, 04:29 PM
I say Brian Orakpo. While has some nice physical tools including a lighting quick first step, I don't know that he can play the OLB 3-4 position, which is more of a thinking position that a 4-3 end. I don't like him any better than Wimberly if he goes to Cleveland. Even as a pass rusher, I don't see the counter moves and savy pass rush skills like a Terrell Suggs coming out, who by the way went #11 I believe.

I would also caution against Jason Smith going to high. While I do think he will be good, I don't know that he will develop into one of the top LTs in the NFL good. I don't see the pure power to absorb the punch of pass rushers or to pancake in the run game.

Matthew Jones
03-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Really it depends on the situation. If it's Stafford, and the Lions throw him in too soon behind a bad line and change coordinators all the time, he has a real shot at being a bust (or any other QB they could draft, really.) It's more dictated by how they're handled. Everette Brown and Orakpo could struggle transitioning to a different defense. Andre Smith could because of his ethic if he goes #10, same with Mark Sanchez. Malcolm Jenkins could lack the foot speed to play cornerback and then struggle transitioning to safety. If I had to pick one just based on their play and not other factors, I think Orakpo or Andre Smith.

IndyColtScout
03-17-2009, 04:46 PM
I'm not sold on anyone in the top 10 except Curry this is a really bad draft for the top 10.

brat316
03-17-2009, 04:47 PM
You think Crabtree = bust shame on you

IndyColtScout
03-17-2009, 04:50 PM
You think Crabtree = bust shame on you

Don't think Crabtree is a bust but I don't think he is a multi all-pro.

BeerBaron
03-17-2009, 05:14 PM
I just brought up Scott's current mock's top 10 and I;d say it looks something like this:

1.) Stafford
2.) Sanchez

(quarterbacks always have a high bust rate, so they're safe bets)

3.) Andre Smith
4.) Orakpo
5.) Everette

(whats true for QBs is also fairly true for pass rushers)

If we were doing this out of the whole draft, I'd say it's Freeman and no one close. College underachiever with great physical tools is always a recipe for major bust....

And if Michael Johnson is selected in about the top 40 picks, I'd say him as well. Another underachiever with great physical tools.

initial_flo
03-17-2009, 05:24 PM
I think Stafford, he'll obviously be looked as the franchise where ever he goes, which again is debatable.

That and someone made a good point about accuracy usually not getting better from college to the pros. That could have the makings for an implosion if too much is brought on him too soon.

TACKLE
03-17-2009, 05:25 PM
1. Matt Stafford - Not a great situation though he does have mega-tron. I think he'll be good but will never live up to his selection.

2. Andre Smith - If a team drafts him to be their franchise LT, he will bust. Just won't be able to handle NFL speed rushers. If a team drafts him as an offensive lineman he will thrive whether that's at guard or at RT or even spot duty at LT.

Mr. Hero
03-17-2009, 05:28 PM
1. Matt Stafford - Not a great situation though he does have mega-tron. I think he'll be good but will never live up to his selection.

2. Andre Smith - If a team drafts him to be their franchise LT, he will bust. Just won't be able to handle NFL speed rushers. If a team drafts him as an offensive lineman he will thrive whether that's at guard or at RT or even spot duty at LT.

I disagree about Andre Smith, the question with him isn't what the team does with his talents but what he does with his talents. If he rests on his laurels and thinks he's as good as he needs to be he'll be a bust but if he gets pissed at the doubters he'll dominate wherever he lands.

Brent
03-17-2009, 05:37 PM
Matt Sanchez because 16 starts while surrounded by ridiculous amounts of talent scares me off.

luee
03-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Jayson Smith-Light mid-major OT will falter against the big boys.

My Giant dream mock;
7th- Donald Washington CB OSU. top 3 cone numbers

6th-Stephen Hodge, OLB TCU. Another LB with speed

5th-Lyndon Murtha- OT Nebraska, S/S

4th-Johnny Knox- WR ACU- speed, speed, speed.

3rd-Cedrick Peerman- RB- VA- 4.39

2b-William Moore-SS- Missouri- big hitter with ball skills

a- Ken Britt-WR- Eli needs a redzone target now

1-Clay Mathews.

Mr. Hero
03-17-2009, 05:53 PM
Jason Smith, no y, is from the big 12, hardly a mid major. And at 305 he's a little light, between his work ethic, fieriness and incredible upside I don't see the problem.

Yatta!
03-17-2009, 06:28 PM
Andre Smith by a long way.

Any Quarterback has a high bust potential, that's just the way it is nowadays.

Pitt
03-17-2009, 06:42 PM
The player that lands in Oakland.

Halsey
03-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Mark Sanchez

Only 16 starts in college, Many of his games were vs heavily overmatched defenses, durability questions

LookItsAlDavis
03-17-2009, 07:31 PM
It really has to be Andre Smith. There haven't been many players with maturity issues that turn it around. You are who you are, and the kid just doesn't have what it takes mentally to play in the NFL. I'd also have to say Stafford. He was pretty inconsistent in college, and I believe he would have to land in a perfect situation to be successful, and no team that might take him will give him that.

steelersfan43
03-17-2009, 07:33 PM
Matt Sanchez because 16 starts while surrounded by ridiculous amounts of talent scares me off.
I'm scared of mark stafford ;)

Mr. Hero
03-17-2009, 07:37 PM
It really has to be Andre Smith. There haven't been many players with maturity issues that turn it around. You are who you are, and the kid just doesn't have what it takes mentally to play in the NFL. I'd also have to say Stafford. He was pretty inconsistent in college, and I believe he would have to land in a perfect situation to be successful, and no team that might take him will give him that.

I'd disagree with this, a lot of players work ethic and personality's change once they come into the big leagues the question is will Andre Smith. Not saying he won't be a knucklehead in the league but you can work with some knuckleheads, and his talent could be worth it if he has good showing in interviews, him losing weight for his pro-day was a good step, now it's up to him to keep resuscitating his stock and take the next step, which is owning up to the mistakes he's made both by screwing up his bowl game and his combine stunt and really getting to teams to see he knows he done ****** up in the interviews.

LookItsAlDavis
03-17-2009, 07:43 PM
Yeah I know what you're saying, but do you see any team in the top ten being able to work him up to that? The only ones I can see successfully working with him are the Chiefs and the 49ers, and the 49ers are a stretch. He seems to have a Manuel Wright-type attitude.

Mr. Hero
03-17-2009, 07:49 PM
Yeah I know what you're saying, but do you see any team in the top ten being able to work him up to that? The only ones I can see successfully working with him are the Chiefs and the 49ers, and the 49ers are a stretch. He seems to have a Manuel Wright-type attitude.

I think him falling to a team like Washington would do him wonders, if he's out of the top ten I think he'll be pissed and want to "prove the haters wrong" because he was dominant in college and you can't dominate every play without caring no matter how talented you are, see michael johnson. Andre will work on his game he just thought he'd proven something when he hadn't yet and if this bites him by making him miss out on a top 10 paycheck I think he'll learn from those mistakes. I love the kid but I don't think I'd take him until late top ten, maybe a team like Jacksonville because they've got tra there to mentor him and a coach who'll stay on his ass, but he'd really have to convince me when we sat him down.

LonghornsLegend
03-17-2009, 08:14 PM
I say Brian Orakpo. While has some nice physical tools including a lighting quick first step, I don't know that he can play the OLB 3-4 position, which is more of a thinking position that a 4-3 end. .

You do know that Will Muschamp ran a hybrid 4-3/3-4 right? It's not like Orakpo wont have experience in that defense, he's actually better suited then a guy who was a full time DE and never moved around...Washington said if he made it to #13 he would be their SLB, I don't think teams are too worried he's very versatile.

Brent
03-17-2009, 08:17 PM
I'm scared of mark stafford ;)
Whatever haha. Matt or Mark, I dont like Sanchez.

rockio42
03-17-2009, 08:19 PM
You do know that Will Muschamp ran a hybrid 4-3/3-4 right? It's not like Orakpo wont have experience in that defense, he's actually better suited then a guy who was a full time DE and never moved around...Washington said if he made it to #13 he would be their SLB, I don't think teams are too worried he's very versatile.

Seriously...he may be able to play SLB in thier scheme but it just seems like a wast of talent

wicket
03-17-2009, 08:23 PM
any qb is always the easy answer cause that position has the highest bust percentage by a mile. Others worth mentioning imo are Orakpo, either Smith and maclin

Pitt
03-17-2009, 08:27 PM
A Wide Receiver if they're drafted by the Jaguars.

LonghornsLegend
03-17-2009, 09:03 PM
Seriously...he may be able to play SLB in thier scheme but it just seems like a wast of talent

I agree, but to each his own...I was just bringing it up to show that teams see him at a variety of positions but I have no idea why they wouldn't play him as a base DE.

WMD
03-17-2009, 10:20 PM
Aaron Curry.

There, I said it.

I don't really think he'll bust.. but someone has to put it out there.

LookItsAlDavis
03-17-2009, 10:23 PM
Aaron Curry.

There, I said it.

I don't really think he'll bust.. but someone has to put it out there.

He does seem too good to be true lol

Mr. Hero
03-17-2009, 10:24 PM
He does seem too good to be true lol

Watch Curry kill a hooker the day after getting his signing bonus. :eek:

GBahDunka
03-17-2009, 11:53 PM
I dont really see any top10 bust potentials unless Everett Brown goes top 10

Buttered toast sonic
03-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Mark sanchez, and its not close

WMD
03-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Watch Curry kill a hooker the day after getting his signing bonus. :eek:
Unless he already has killed a hooker...

Dark Knight01
03-18-2009, 02:51 PM
The player that goes to the Lions, KC, or the Browns or Bungals.

Players with the highest BUST rate will end up being one of the two QB's of course between Stafford or Sanchez.

Mr. Hero
03-18-2009, 02:53 PM
Unless he already has killed a hooker...

No, we...I mean he did a good job cleaning that one up, there will be no evidence.

Dark Knight01
03-18-2009, 03:36 PM
No, we...I mean he did a good job cleaning that one up, there will be no evidence.

^^^I think I'm gonna start sending out copies of HBO series THE WIRE to the corrupt politicians.

What happens in THE WIRE is what is happening now....

MenOfTroy
03-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Crabtree. He's shorter than expected, not very fast, and his production is amplified by the TTU offense.