PDA

View Full Version : Ravens Sign LJ Smith

Hines
03-17-2009, 05:03 PM
1 year for 1.5 million dollars. Wonder what this does with Heap now? Link will be up shortly after I find one.

IndyColtScout
03-17-2009, 05:04 PM
LJ is done and so is Heap.

Hines
03-17-2009, 05:04 PM
Here is the link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3990774

gameplaya2435
03-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Good riddance to him.

$1.5 Mil isn't really a risk though, as long as he learns to hold the ball correctly, not like he's ready to whip it down field.

skinzzfan25
03-17-2009, 05:05 PM
More targets for Flacco isn't a bad thing. I do think both him and Heap will not be there next year however.

brat316
03-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Is he going to be the third string TE, he can;t really block for a team that likes to run the ball.

coordinator0
03-17-2009, 05:08 PM
Well, there's goes one more need off of our list. This is what Ozzie likes to do before the draft so we can go BPA, and you can tell by his draft history that it works.

I kinda like the signing, but I'm more neutral on it than anything. Can any Eagles fan tell us BAL fans what his main strengths and weaknesses are?

sbh15
03-17-2009, 05:12 PM
Not to be a dick, but...

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1551849

Mr. Hero
03-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Well, there's goes one more need off of our list. This is what Ozzie likes to do before the draft so we can go BPA, and you can tell by his draft history that it works.

I kinda like the signing, but I'm more neutral on it than anything. Can any Eagles fan tell us BAL fans what his main strengths and weaknesses are?

His strengths include dropping passes and thinking he's better than he is.

His weaknesses include blocking and running routes.

Ravens1991
03-17-2009, 05:19 PM
IDK why. But Heap needs to re structure or leave. We rarely pass to a TE I am puzzled by this.

ccB
03-17-2009, 05:22 PM
IDK why. But Heap needs to re structure or leave. We rarely pass to a TE I am puzzled by this.

Maybe Harbaugh liked him from back in his Philly days? IDK I think this is strictly a depth move so we don't end up in the same position we did last year as far as TE is concerned. I don't think he will be a starter or anything like that, I don't hate the move since it is such a minor deal. I'd still like to see a Pettigrew/Cook/Nelson draft pick in the Ravens future, but like someone else said this is a move to make it so we do not HAVE to select a TE if the right one is not there.

Ravens1991
03-17-2009, 05:24 PM
good points. I wonder what we will do w/ Heap, I was a very big heap basher this past season but Heap is a better reciever and a better blocker then this guy.

coordinator0
03-17-2009, 05:27 PM
His strengths include dropping passes and thinking he's better than he is.

His weaknesses include blocking and running routes.

Sounds like a biased NYG fan, not a PHI fan...

ccB
03-17-2009, 05:30 PM

That was a harsh, yet fair (if that makes sense) assessment of Smith though IMO The guy is not great by any means. He's basically got the same issues Todd Heap does, this seems like a "Why not?" move, in the sense that we are getting him so dirt cheap why not give it a shot to see if it works out. If nothing else hes a big bodied target in the endzone that may or may not catch a pass if thrown his way. Smells like a reclamation project, if Smith had anything to reclaim in the first place?

TACKLE
03-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Not a bad signing. Heap hasn't played well lately anyway.

Can we lock in Brandon Pettigrew to the Eagles at #21.

ccB
03-17-2009, 05:31 PM
good points. I wonder what we will do w/ Heap, I was a very big heap basher this past season but Heap is a better reciever and a better blocker then this guy.

maybe a bit of competition will light a fire under his mormon ass. Todd Heap was such a ***** last year.

Mr. Hero
03-17-2009, 05:32 PM

I was kind of poking fun at him, but LJ Smith was one of my favorite eagles. He was always full of himself and he constantly screwed up, be it his inability to block or his incessant drops.

LJ was like a hobo's shockey before shockey learned how to block but after injuries took away his great athletic ability.

Splat
03-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Is two underachieving TE's better then one?

ccB
03-17-2009, 05:37 PM

If the competition lights a fire under one of their ass' causing them to outperform the other, then yes. Hey it's worth a shot I guess.

coordinator0
03-17-2009, 05:47 PM

It's cheap and it provides depth, so I'd say yes.

Mr. Hero
Quote:
Originally Posted by coordinator0 View Post
I was kind of poking fun at him, but LJ Smith was one of my favorite eagles. He was always full of himself and he constantly screwed up, be it his inability to block or his incessant drops.

LJ was like a hobo's shockey before shockey learned how to block but after injuries took away his great athletic ability.

Sorry if i sounded a little harsh lol, but I just wanted to know what he can/can't do. Maybe if he' used in the #2 role he'll flourish, but i doubt it. I think Heap and Smith are both a little washed up and i wouldn't be surprised to see Heap get traded/cut and the Ravens go after a TE in the draft, maybe even make a move for Pettigrew (one of my fav. players in the draft).

gameplaya2435
03-17-2009, 05:49 PM

Most Philly fans hate him, so it does sound like an Eagles fan.

Strengths: He'll find holes in the zone and sit in it, but you're not going to be a good tight end if you can't do that. Also showed a willingness to fight for extra yards rather than just go down.

Weaknesses: Injury prone, dropping balls, tends to carry the ball with one hand

Mr. Hero
03-17-2009, 05:51 PM
no problem, just was explaining where I was coming from because I know that could've come off as an ignorant homer bad mouthing a rival player, that's why I felt I should explain that LJ Smith really is just a frustrating player and that's not just me hating.

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-17-2009, 05:55 PM
interesting signing. I just wished we'd used Heap more often in the passing game. I know he has it in him yet we continue to use him as a blocker. This is a good move if he starts up a competition between Smith and Heap in TC but I think Quinn Sypnewski will be used the most next year.

Ravens1991
03-17-2009, 06:43 PM
maybe a bit of competition will light a fire under his mormon ass. Todd Heap was such a ***** last year.

so true, over the past couple of years Heap would kill his mother just to catch a 2 yard pass. Now I didnt see the same attitude this year.

Thumper
03-17-2009, 06:48 PM

no that was 1000% percent correct. Smith is a beast in workouts but he couldn't do well on the field to save his life. Looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane. Awful hands and route running, he gives hardly any effort. I don't think he'll make the Ravens team.

BTW maybe once a season you'll get a good performance, if you're lucky.

diabsoule
03-17-2009, 07:45 PM
Strange move by Baltimore. I thought Atlanta was a more likely destination for L.J. Smith.

Mr. Hero
03-17-2009, 07:46 PM
Strange move by Baltimore. I thought Atlanta was a more likely destination for L.J. Smith.

My sources tell me Atlanta likes TEs who can block and/or catch the ball.

Bucs_Rule
03-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Not a bad signing. Heap hasn't played well lately anyway.

Can we lock in Brandon Pettigrew to the Eagles at #21.

Assuming they don't trade it.

CC.SD
03-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Cam wanted another receiving type tight end, you've got to be joking if you don't think he's got plenty of tight end tricks in his bag. This is a good signing.

eaglesalltheway
03-19-2009, 06:54 AM

Strengths: Athletic and has good speed and quickness for a TE, will stretch the field. Able to find holes in the dense's zone. (Stares at computer for about 2 minutes, thinking intently) That honestly is it.

Weaknesses: Runs poor routes, has lapses in concentration and his hands are either good or very bad. Poor Blocker, though he has improved in that area. Carries the ball like he wants to fumble it. (many times I've seen him running with the balllike he wants to throw it, but he's running and its down by his waist. He has actually fumbled just by himself on more than one occasion) Doesn't have the best attitude, but isn't a problem in the locker room. Will disappear in big moments. There is more, but those are the big ones...

Basically LJ Smith will always leave you expecting more. I'm sure him and Heap will battle it out, but expect another year of Heap starting Ravens fans. The signing itself isn't that bad for the Ravens, 1.5 mil isn't bad at all for him, and he will at least be solid depth. Maybe he'll be motivated and will play better, but he didn't do that the last two contract years he had in Philly...

eaglesalltheway
03-19-2009, 06:58 AM
Assuming they don't trade it.

Doubt Pettigrew is chosen at 21, there is a guy by the name of Brent Celek, who totally beasted the last 8 games of our season (including playoffs) and could be the starter for us next year. Depending on how the team feels about him, TE might not be addressed until the later rounds for the Eagles as depth. We also might bring one in in the 2nd or 3rd round as competition for the starting spot. I'd say its most likely we bring in a guy for starting competition. Pettigrew isn't really that likely, considering our other major needs at LT, WR, RB. You can make an argument that S is a bigger need than TE as well.

Adn the Eagles don't just trade picks for the hell of it, they look for value, and if there is a player they view has value that they like at 21, they will pick one, if not, they will attempt to trade back. I don't get why some people assume the Eagles will always trade back, it all depends on the situation people...

coordinator0
03-19-2009, 09:05 AM
Strengths: Athletic and has good speed and quickness for a TE, will stretch the field. Able to find holes in the dense's zone. (Stares at computer for about 2 minutes, thinking intently) That honestly is it.

Weaknesses: Runs poor routes, has lapses in concentration and his hands are either good or very bad. Poor Blocker, though he has improved in that area. Carries the ball like he wants to fumble it. (many times I've seen him running with the balllike he wants to throw it, but he's running and its down by his waist. He has actually fumbled just by himself on more than one occasion) Doesn't have the best attitude, but isn't a problem in the locker room. Will disappear in big moments. There is more, but those are the big ones...

Basically LJ Smith will always leave you expecting more. I'm sure him and Heap will battle it out, but expect another year of Heap starting Ravens fans. The signing itself isn't that bad for the Ravens, 1.5 mil isn't bad at all for him, and he will at least be solid depth. Maybe he'll be motivated and will play better, but he didn't do that the last two contract years he had in Philly...

I highly doubt that Smith will/would have started over Heap in the first place. It would surely be a poor thing to see if L.J. beats Heap out for the job, and if Heap has declined that much I expect us to go after TE early. I'm still crossing my fingers for Pettigrew (my favorite pick for the Ravens in the first).

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-19-2009, 03:36 PM
I'd love Pettigrew but I want a WR more.

Go_Eagles77
03-19-2009, 03:43 PM
He carries the ball like a loaf of bread. It is actually pretty funny.

coordinator0
03-19-2009, 03:47 PM
He carries the ball like a loaf of bread. It is actually pretty funny.

Couldn't that be fixed with coaching though?

eaglesalltheway
03-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Couldn't that be fixed with coaching though?

He's done it his entire career, he just doesn't give a **** if he fumbles or not. I'm sure he's been told countless times, he just doesn't care about it or doesn't know to do it when he is actually in there. I have no idea why, whenever I get the ball, on any level, first thing I do is make sure the thing is secure in my grasp, but hey, what do I know...

You can drill it in his head all you want, that isn't going to be fixed unless he gets a labotomy...