PDA

View Full Version : Sanchez vs freeman

Buttered toast sonic
03-18-2009, 12:20 PM
I asked this in the live chat today, and It has been eating at me for a while now,

What does Mark Sanchez have over josh Freeman? Freeman has 35 starts, near double of that of Mark Sanchez, Freeman has the better arm than sanchez, Freeman has the better size, Freeman played in a MUCH tougher conference than sanchez, the only thing sanchez has that freeman doesn't is sanchez certainly benefitted from having all the weapons around him, top O-line, top WR's, top RB's, Freeman lacked all of these things, so I ask you gentle readers, what does Sanchez have over Freeman?

Sniper
03-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Freeman played in a MUCH tougher conference than sanchez

Defensively, the Big XII couldn't hold the Pac-10's jock.

derza222
03-18-2009, 12:24 PM
I'd say Sanchez's accuracy is better and overall feel is probably a little better also. Accuracy is the big one though. I'm sure some teams are going to end up having that point of view, though.

bored of education
03-18-2009, 12:25 PM
Sanchez is better looking therefor should be drafted higher, plus he went to USC.

TACKLE
03-18-2009, 12:33 PM
That's such a silly way to break it down. Size, starts, arm strength and schedule. If those were the four of most important things in evaluating QB's there would be problems. Not only is Sanchez a better football player, he has better accuracy, is much quicker at making reads, his arm strength is more than adequate, his mechanics are much more refined and he's been in big games with lots of pressure and performed at a high level.

Buttered toast sonic
03-18-2009, 12:41 PM
That's such a silly way to break it down. Size, starts, arm strength and schedule. If those were the four of most important things in evaluating QB's there would be problems. Not only is Sanchez a better football player, he has better accuracy, is much quicker at making reads, his mechanics are much more refined and he's been in big games with lots of pressure and performed at a high level.

the rose bowl, I assume is what your talking about big games, correct? Sanchez also had an amazing defense that almost certainly helped him get to that rose bowl, freeman had NOTHING around him this year. Starts is one of the most important starts in evaluating a Quarterback, QB's with more starts bust less, its just a fact, jack, especially in the top 10. I am not saying Josh Freeman is a top 10 pick, Neither Sanchez or Freeman is if you ask Me, but I believe Freeman should go before Sanchez.

Diehard
03-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Sanchez can actually read defenses.

MyLostintention
03-18-2009, 12:49 PM
I think both of them are big hit or misses. Where one of them is strong the other is questionable so its hard to tell who is a more NFL ready QB. The only reason I give a slight edge to Sanchez is because he is smarter.

Buc Baller12
03-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Sanchez is the best QB coming out when it comes to reading the D. Plus he played in that pro style offense at USC. I really like his ability to throw on the run when it comes to the bootlegs; even the pass is still accurate when he throws on the run.

Black Bolt
03-18-2009, 01:03 PM
That's such a silly way to break it down. Size, starts, arm strength and schedule. If those were the four of most important things in evaluating QB's there would be problems. Not only is Sanchez a better football player, he has better accuracy, is much quicker at making reads, his arm strength is more than adequate, his mechanics are much more refined and he's been in big games with lots of pressure and performed at a high level.

and how many did Freeman play with? How many starts do each have? Who has the stronger arm? Why do I have to ask these questions?

Black Bolt
03-18-2009, 01:03 PM
I think both of them are big hit or misses. Where one of them is strong the other is questionable so its hard to tell who is a more NFL ready QB. The only reason I give a slight edge to Sanchez is because he is smarter.

...but how do you know that he is smarter? What are you basing that on?

Falcon_from_E_Oakland
03-18-2009, 01:06 PM
Defensively, the Big XII couldn't hold the Pac-10's jock.

Considering Sanchez never had to play USC in actual game.....the Big XII probably has better defenses.

Geason Noceur
03-18-2009, 01:12 PM
Polish. Sanchez just looks a bit more polished in his mechanics and his command of a game. But there's not doubt that Freeman's ceiling is way higher than Sanchez. I don't like either, but if I was going to take a long term project I'd take Freeman.

I KNOW IT ALL
03-18-2009, 01:24 PM
Better decision-making.

Bette and more consistent mechanics.

Better touch on the football.

Better football IQ.

Better athleticism and ability to throw on the run.

Better accuracy.

Better intangibles.

Sanchez is a far better prospect in my opinion. I think Stafford is 1a and Sanchez is 1b whereas Freeman is a distance 2nd.

Matthew Jones
03-18-2009, 01:31 PM
I think it's a lot closer than people think but I do agree that Sanchez is a little better as a prospect. He seems to have better accuracy and intelligence/ability to read the defense, but I do think that Freeman does have a chance to be a better pro and could be the #2 quarterback selected if Sanchez drops a bit and a deep-throwing team that can afford to sit Freeman for a year or two gets a chance to take him.

Iamcanadian
03-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Sanchez played in a pro style offense and showed he can make all the throws playing in it. Right now he is way more accurate than Freeman. However that being said, Freeman could be quite a pro. The rumors have him rising fast and nobody who counts is questioning that he is a 1st round pick, so any gap between him and Sanchez or Stafford is minimal as far as upside is concerned. Any of the 3 could end up the best QB from this draft and only time will tell. I won't be at all shocked if the team that drafts him will get him with an early teen pick so a trade up may well occur.

JRTPlaya21
03-18-2009, 03:03 PM
Freeman was just too up and down in his career. I'm pretty sure if he had gone back next year he would have had no shot at #1 unlike Sanchez.

batsandgats
03-18-2009, 03:33 PM
sanchez hasnt played that much so there is the bust potential but from what i have seen he looks okay but his team is full of talent, where is Booty and Leinart? Of course there is Palmer and Cassel ( who never officially started a game for USC i believe) He sometimes throws these puffy passes and then sometimes has these strong deep passes, overall he hasnt played enough to properly evaluate him. Freeman has shown trouble in his ability to read defenses, i saw ku's defense make him look silly. He has struggled against Nebraska, (i dont believe he ever won a game against them) Hes inaccurate on his longer throws, look at is ypa (so it kind of negates that "rocket" arm of his) alot of his passes were dumpoffs or checkdowns. His completion ratio of passes over 20 yards is terrible. He has all the measurables but none of the intangibles.
both these guys are going to be reaches and need to sit on an nfl bench for a few years before they are ready to play. Even then i dont know

Sniper
03-18-2009, 03:33 PM
Considering Sanchez never had to play USC in actual game.....the Big XII probably has better defenses.

False. I'm sorry, but the overabundance of 50+ point games (for one team) kills any argument.

Oklahoma scored the most points out of anyone in the history of college football. In the NC game, they scored 14.

Season average vs. points scored in bowl games

Oklahoma- 51.1 vs. 14
Texas Tech- 43.8 vs. 34
Texas- 42.4 vs. 21
Missouri- 42.2 vs. 30
Oklahoma State- 40.8 vs. 31
Nebraska- 35.4 vs. 26

Need I go on?

JRTPlaya21
03-18-2009, 03:41 PM
sanchez hasnt played that much so there is the bust potential but from what i have seen he looks okay but his team is full of talent, where is Booty and Leinart? Of course there is Palmer and Cassel ( who never officially started a game for USC i believe) He sometimes throws these puffy passes and then sometimes has these strong deep passes, overall he hasnt played enough to properly evaluate him. Freeman has shown trouble in his ability to read defenses, i saw ku's defense make him look silly. He has struggled against Nebraska, (i dont believe he ever won a game against them) Hes inaccurate on his longer throws, look at is ypa (so it kind of negates that "rocket" arm of his) alot of his passes were dumpoffs or checkdowns. His completion ratio of passes over 20 yards is terrible. He has all the measurables but none of the intangibles.
both these guys are going to be reaches and need to sit on an nfl bench for a few years before they are ready to play. Even then i dont know

Vikings & Cardinals respectively. ;)

Crickett
03-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Vikings & Cardinals benches respectively. ;)

Fixed that for you.

Falcon_from_E_Oakland
03-18-2009, 04:10 PM
False. I'm sorry, but the overabundance of 50+ point games (for one team) kills any argument.

Oklahoma scored the most points out of anyone in the history of college football. In the NC game, they scored 14.

Season average vs. points scored in bowl games

Oklahoma- 51.1 vs. 14
Texas Tech- 43.8 vs. 34
Texas- 42.4 vs. 21
Missouri- 42.2 vs. 30
Oklahoma State- 40.8 vs. 31
Nebraska- 35.4 vs. 26

Need I go on?

the Pac 10 has been really down these last couple years.

bored of education
03-18-2009, 04:13 PM

he was referring to how epically terrible Big 12 D's are. Not how the pac 10's D's been down for the last couple years.

Sniper
03-18-2009, 04:17 PM

Yet their defenses, on average, are better than the Big 12's "defenses".

San Diego Chicken
03-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Freeman has the best physical skills at QB in this draft, but Sanchez is a better player.

Burns336
03-18-2009, 05:09 PM
I asked this in the live chat today, and It has been eating at me for a while now,

What does Mark Sanchez have over josh Freeman? Freeman has 35 starts, near double of that of Mark Sanchez, Freeman has the better arm than sanchez, Freeman has the better size, Freeman played in a MUCH tougher conference than sanchez, the only thing sanchez has that freeman doesn't is sanchez certainly benefitted from having all the weapons around him, top O-line, top WR's, top RB's, Freeman lacked all of these things, so I ask you gentle readers, what does Sanchez have over Freeman?

Top O-line for Sanchez? The same O-line that was starting 3 Sophomores and 4 new starters?

Top WR's? Patrick Turner? I love Damian Williams and Rojo, but no one would consider any of these guy's top WR's.

Sanchez also performed very well in the spotlight.

See: Rose Bowl domination.

Sniper
03-18-2009, 05:16 PM
I love Damian Williams and Rojo, but no one would consider any of these guy's top WR's.

Damien Williams is a beast and so is Rojo. They're both going to be top 10 WRs this year. However, your point is valid because they weren't elite THIS year.

katnip
03-18-2009, 05:30 PM
From a prospect spot, to me its, Freeman > Sanchez.. Barely tho

Burns336
03-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Damien Williams is a beast and so is Rojo. They're both going to be top 10 WRs this year. However, your point is valid because they weren't elite THIS year.

I think they could be top 10 if Sanchez came back... Ill hold my breath in the meantime.

I have no confidence in Mustain if he wins the job.

We'll see though, I was really hoping Sanchez would come back.

But yeah, basically I'm just trying to dispel the rumor that Sanchez was surrounded by some powerhouse offense.

USC's defense was the ****, Mark Sanchez pretty much made the offense good.