PDA

View Full Version : Surprise Teams to take an RB in Round 1

TACKLE
03-19-2009, 02:01 PM
Running Back's are often taken by teams unexpectedly because they are the most talented/best player on the board much like Pittsburg did last year. With the two RB system becoming the norm, who are some teams other than New Orleans, Houston, San Diego, Philly and Arizona who could take an RB in round 1?

derza222
03-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Word is the Jets with Jones having a beef with his deal and getting a little older. Personally I don't see it, but that's what some of the NY area places are saying now.

I'd have to say I couldn't see it being any but Wells, maybe Brown in a trade down. And I don't really think it happens at all. Likelihood increases big time if LW is traded in a 3-Way Cutler deal, but the odds of that are pretty damn low so...

keylime_5
03-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Maybe Cincinnati or Jacksonville could surprise and take Beanie. I think he might go a lot higher than he's being projected right now (20s-30s), he has the talent it's just a question of him taking the beating of an NFL season. Everyone assumes Denver is a lock to go defense (good bet), but they might shock the world and take Beanie or Knowshon. They don't really have a starting RB.

NIN1984
03-19-2009, 02:12 PM
I don't think the 49ers would draft Wells but it would be a surprise. They want power running? I think Gore and Wells would be a lot of power.

iBoldin
03-19-2009, 02:23 PM
If Washington had no trade back, all four offensive tackles were off the board, and English had already been taken, I could see them grabbing Knowshon Moreno or LeSean McCoy.

RWills
03-19-2009, 02:24 PM
I heard about beannie to Cincy as well, word is Mike Brown loves him and loves big 10 backs, hey they reached for Levi?

I heard about the Jets which makes a lot of sense with everything that is happening now. New Orleans/Houston I wouldnt be suprised.

My suprise team is the New York Giants - They dont have to reach for anyone, they are pretty set everywhere but WR and it wouldn't suprise me if they pass on WR because they dont normally contribute immediatley. They just lost Ward, Jacobs I think has not had an entire healthy season. If they loose Jacobs their offense is nothing. I have them taking Donald Brown in my last mock who would compliment Jacobs well.

MockyBalboa
03-19-2009, 02:26 PM
The Cleveland Browns. Maybe trading back into the first round to grab Wells like they did with Brady Quinn, and like the Lions did with Kevin Jones.

superman
03-19-2009, 02:27 PM
beanie could go as high as 5 to the browns. i actually see that happening.

gpngc
03-19-2009, 02:27 PM
Bengals, Browns, Seahawks, 49ers could all trade back into the first and take a RB.

I think the Redskins are a possibility in round one, as are the Jets because of TJ's age and contract issues.

The Skins seem like a live sleeper. Portis' decline will come rapidly and unexpectedly and there's really nothing to look forward to behind him.

Brent
03-19-2009, 02:33 PM
I don't think the 49ers would draft Wells but it would be a surprise. They want power running? I think Gore and Wells would be a lot of power.
Wouldn't be out of the question but I dont think they'd lock up that much money in one position.

TimD
03-19-2009, 02:34 PM
It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Jets take a RB.

ThePudge
03-19-2009, 02:35 PM
They don't really have a starting RB.

No, but they go seven deep in backup running backs.

As for Cincinnati, I'd be a fool to say Chris "Beanie" Wells is an impossibility at 6th Overall, though it'd certainly ruffle some feathers. The team, though, seems more set on Knowshon Moreno as they have expressed a good amount of interest there. That would likely be late 1st if he falls, the Bengals may uncharacteristically trade up

Jacksonville is an interesting possibility for Wells at 8th Overall, especially if Crabtree/Maclin and J. Smith/Monore are gone. Bottomline, they are the most unpredictable team in the Top 10 because they could go QB (Stafford/Sanchez), RB (Wells), WR (Crabtree, Maclin, Heyward-Bey), OT (J. Smith/Monroe/A. Smith/Oher), DT (Raji), LB (Curry/Cushing/Maualuga), CB (Jenkins/Davis).

Kase1
03-19-2009, 02:36 PM
I heard about beannie to Cincy as well, word is Mike Brown loves him and loves big 10 backs, hey they reached for Levi?

I heard about the Jets which makes a lot of sense with everything that is happening now. New Orleans/Houston I wouldnt be suprised.

My suprise team is the New York Giants - They dont have to reach for anyone, they are pretty set everywhere but WR and it wouldn't suprise me if they pass on WR because they dont normally contribute immediatley. They just lost Ward, Jacobs I think has not had an entire healthy season. If they loose Jacobs their offense is nothing. I have them taking Donald Brown in my last mock who would compliment Jacobs well.

Giants def aint takin a RB in the 1st

ThePudge
03-19-2009, 02:38 PM

That was in 2002 before Marvin Lewis arrived. Mike Brown really doesn't have any say in the draft process, he's just kind of there. Also, more buzz has been generated by the coaches in Cincinnati about Knowshon Moreno.

edit: For the first time today heard rumors of interest between Chris "Beanie" Wells and Cincinnati as reported in the Cincinnati Enquirer.

Mr. Hero
03-19-2009, 03:18 PM
Giants def aint takin a RB in the 1st

If Beatty, Nicks, DHB, Harvin and Britt are gone but Chris Wells or Knowshon is available I could see us going that way. We really don't have any needs beyond a future number one WR and a future LT, if there's no value at those spots in the first I could see us going after a RB, DE, SLB, SS or TE.

FrankGore
03-19-2009, 04:33 PM
49ers aren't looking for a guy to tote the ball more than around 10-12 times a game and be able to start when Gore goes down. They probably have their eye on Andre Brown, Shonn Greene or Rashad Jennings around the 3rd round.

We already have enough trouble getting Gore the necessary number of touches...

Strongside
03-19-2009, 04:42 PM
The Ravens have been working all offseason so they could pick BPA, I could see them picking one

RaiderNation
03-19-2009, 04:45 PM
I can see the Ravens go RB in the 1st if no WR's they like are there. Also a team might trade up like Cleveland or Cinncinati from the 2nd

PACKmanN
03-19-2009, 04:51 PM
lol, what if Minnestoa takes Beanie? Peterson+Wells, i will crap my pants.

Hooligan
03-19-2009, 05:25 PM
Perhaps Seattle takes him if Monroe and Smith get taken 1, 2 (though then I'd vote they should grab Stafford or Crabtree)

Also I wouldn't be shocked if Buffalo took him due to the consensus that 11 is kind of a no man's land in the draft and Lynch might have legal issues to work through.

Edit: of course I don't yet understand all the cap issues and such that teams deal with regarding positions so I could be waaay off

SuperMcGee
03-19-2009, 05:52 PM
Also I wouldn't be shocked if Buffalo took him due to the consensus that 11 is kind of a no man's land in the draft and Lynch might have legal issues to work through.

There might not be a great option for us at #11, but there is no way Buffalo goes for a running back. Lynch should play plenty, Fred Jackson is a fantastic backup who has shined when carrying the load, and you just can't take a running back in the top half of the first round twice in 3 years.

coordinator0
03-19-2009, 05:59 PM
The Ravens have been working all offseason so they could pick BPA, I could see them picking one

RaiderNation I can see the Ravens go RB in the 1st if no WR's they like are there. Also a team might trade up like Cleveland or Cinncinati from the 2nd

I can see where you guys are coming from, but IMO it's highly unlikely we go RB at all in the draft. Even if McGahee isn't going to be ready early on, we still drafted Ray Rice in the second last year and he showed pretty good potential before he got hurt near the end of the year. Add in that we have LeRon McClain who can also carry the load at RB I really don't see us going RB in the first. The only one that I could see us taking if we did would be Wells because Moreno, Brown, and McCoy all bring somewhat similar skills to the table as Rice, but I highly doubt he falls that far.

If there wasn't a WR left that we liked it would be more likely that we go TE, OT, DE, CB, and maybe even LB (I hope not).

AntoinCD
03-19-2009, 06:05 PM
I think Jacksonville could definitely take a look at Beanie. If Seattle, Cleveland or Cincinnati could trade down a little they could also be possibilities. Obviously Denver and New Orleans could go RB, Washington is an outside bet if the 4 OTs are gone, Houston, San Diego and NY Jets could look for another back to give them strong RB combos, Philadelphia could take a RB at either pick and both the Colts and Cardinals could be in the market-almost definitely the Cards. I really don't see any other team in the 1st taking a RB.

Geo
03-20-2009, 01:24 AM
Personally I would rule out the Colts.

Maybe if Wells were to reach their pick, and they feel confident he can develop into their complete all-purpose back within the next two years as Addai helps carry the load. I doubt it on both fronts, however.

Moreno, Brown, and McCoy aren't explosive enough to be drafted by the Colts in the 1st round.

But hey, maybe I've pegged it wrong. Would be interesting to see what the Colts do if Moreno fell to their pick (doubt it), because he fits the Polian formula to a tee except for speed.

jsa230
03-20-2009, 01:29 AM
What about the Titans(i know they have cj but you never know...moreno would def be a better compliment to cj than white IMO) Broncos, new mngmt. and they could use a workhorse like wells if he were to fall into their laps

Paranoidmoonduck
03-20-2009, 01:57 AM
If Wells tumbles, an unexpected team may jump on that. Despite all his question marks, he has the best shot at becoming a dominant runner in the NFL. But my pick for a surprise isn't in a situation where Wells falls. I think the Bengals may end up drafting him. I think that the top two tackles (J. Smith and Monroe) are off the board by #6 and Andre Smith has probably worked himself into a position as option C for Cincinnati. In that situation, faced with a choice between someone like Orakpo or Wells, I think the Bengals might choose Wells. And it might even look like a great idea for his first two years or so.

SKim172
03-20-2009, 02:14 PM
Of all the teams, Ravens are the team I see as least likely to get an RB. There's three runners in the stable: McGahee, Rice and McClain. Cutting or trading McGahee is too expensive to be an option, Rice is just in his second year, and McClain was the most productive of the three. Even though it's nothing close to the best run game in the NFL, there's just too much money tied into the position that they can justify paying a first-round contract.

I could see an RB in the second day, a McClain-type bruiser with better receiving skills, maybe. But as hard as they've been working to fill the holes, there's still bigger needs than just BPA at the moment.

Diehard
03-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Denver has already brought in four backs for private workouts (Wells, Moreno, Brown, Jennings). Seems like a lot of work for a smokescreen. IMO, it looks like they're setting up to draft a RB in round 2 but I certainly can't rule out the 1st round, particularly if there is no value at DL when the time comes.

Comphockey7
03-20-2009, 05:30 PM
The Patriots for sure. They have a few on the roster but none really a featured guy. Maroney is also a complete waste of a roster spot at this point too.

TACKLE
03-20-2009, 06:05 PM
The Patriots for sure. They have a few on the roster but none really a featured guy. Maroney is also a complete waste of a roster spot at this point too.

What about the signing of Fred Taylor? Right now they have four quality backs on their roster (Taylor, Maroney, Morris, Faulk). Had they not signed Taylor, I thought a guy like Knowshon to the Pats was a legitimate option with Maroney's injury problems, but now it seems highly unlikely.

03-20-2009, 06:15 PM
What about the Titans(i know they have cj but you never know...moreno would def be a better compliment to cj than white IMO)

Taking a RB on the first day in four consecutive years, that's almost Lions territory for any position, lol.

TT Gator
03-20-2009, 09:37 PM
The Cleveland Browns. Maybe trading back into the first round to grab Wells like they did with Brady Quinn, and like the Lions did with Kevin Jones.

I agree with you. With Curry gone the Browns are in a position that more than likely whoever they pick at #5 will be a reach. With only a 1st round pick, two 2nds, a 4th, and 6th I can def see them trying to trade out of the #5 pick. Even if they don't I still think Beanie Wells is a big possibility. Jamal Anderson's getting old and though he got passed the 1,000 yards mark barely he had a hard time finding the endzone with only 4 TDs. With Wells they'd have a power back that would worry defenses in the red zone and open up Quinn's passing game. While they need pass rushers, Orakpo or Brown would need to transition from DE to OLB in their 3-4 and Mangini knows how hard that can be for some college DEs(he drafted Gholston last year first round and the guy barely played so he may not want to pay all that money to a guy who might not start) So no matter if they trade or not i'd look for a suprise offensive 1st round pick and them waiting to pick up a true OLB like Mattews, Sintim, or Freeman later in the 2nd. One things for sure with Crabtree, Andre Smith, Raji, Sanchez, and possibly even Stafford and/or Orakpo still on the board teams will want in the Top 5. With the Browns needing more picks and having to reach for who they want it's a def possibility that they trade back.

Iamcanadian
03-20-2009, 11:55 PM
I thought it was interesting tonight on 'Path to the Draft' when Casserley(SP.), the ex GM of the Houston Texans said that Wells was a better prospect than Lynch in Buffalo, Williams in Tampa Bay(drafted #5 in his draft year) and was very similar to Jamal Lewis who went #5 in his draft year. That's a pretty high recommendation if you ask me so indeed Wells will likely be a top 10 pick with #5 not out of the question although Mayock likes Moreno better.

Sloopy
03-20-2009, 11:56 PM
Honestly if there aren't any wideouts or DT's available Indi might take one off the board if there is one worth a pick at that spot. I mean they don't have a back to compliment Addai... I am honestly hoping that arizona lets go of james and we bring him back... other teams could be seahawks, browns, jags, buffalo... this list is just long lets face it teams are always looking for backs either for immediate use wether a feature or platoon back or to groom as a successor as backs these days do not have a long shelf life... I meen look at the broncos last year.

coordinator0
03-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Of all the teams, Ravens are the team I see as least likely to get an RB. There's three runners in the stable: McGahee, Rice and McClain. Cutting or trading McGahee is too expensive to be an option, Rice is just in his second year, and McClain was the most productive of the three. Even though it's nothing close to the best run game in the NFL, there's just too much money tied into the position that they can justify paying a first-round contract.

I could see an RB in the second day, a McClain-type bruiser with better receiving skills, maybe. But as hard as they've been working to fill the holes, there's still bigger needs than just BPA at the moment.

Nothing close eh?

Rushing (YPG) Complete List

1. New York Giants 157.4
2. Atlanta Falcons 152.7
3. Carolina Panthers 152.3
4. Baltimore Ravens 148.5
5. Minnesota Vikings 146.1

I wouldn't say that's too far off the lead...

But yes, no RB for the Ravens in this draft. Maybe a FB, but IMO he would have to be a blocking type FB, not a receiving/running. Quinn Johnson would be awesome.

SimonRath
03-21-2009, 08:53 AM
i could see the falcons maybe drafting one in the later rounds if they feel like Noorwood wont bee here much longer

SKim172
03-21-2009, 02:56 PM
But on the other hand, the Ravens ran the ball more than anyone else to get that number. They barely averaged 4.0 yards a carry (compare to the Giants' 5.0) and in the postseason, a meager 3.1.

But what I really meant is the Ravens lack that elite proven top-level rusher, the one that you can be confident in and count on to come through in the clutch. Giants have Jacobs, Falcs have Turner, Panthers have Williams, Vikes have Peterson. The Ravens, on the other hand, have a makeshift platoon of good backs who so far have not been proven to be great. McGahee is constantly injured, Rice is inexperienced, and McClain, while he started well, was less effective as the season went on.

I'm hopeful that with increased carries to Rice, some Bengay for McGahee, and a brief reminder to McClain that he's a short-yardage bruiser that isn't speedy enough to outrace a DB to the sideline, my worries will be overcome.

Shane P. Hallam
03-21-2009, 02:58 PM
I still wouldn't count out the Bills. In no-man's land at 11. If no one wants to trade up, with the suspension looming and apparently no trust in Fred Jackson, they could do it.

CashmoneyDrew
03-21-2009, 03:07 PM
What about the Titans(i know they have cj but you never know...moreno would def be a better compliment to cj than white IMO) Broncos, new mngmt. and they could use a workhorse like wells if he were to fall into their laps

If Wells fell to us and we could trade Lendale I wouldn't be opposed to it believe it or not.

coordinator0
03-21-2009, 03:17 PM
But on the other hand, the Ravens ran the ball more than anyone else to get that number. They barely averaged 4.0 yards a carry (compare to the Giants' 5.0) and in the postseason, a meager 3.1.

But what I really meant is the Ravens lack that elite proven top-level rusher, the one that you can be confident in and count on to come through in the clutch. Giants have Jacobs, Falcs have Turner, Panthers have Williams, Vikes have Peterson. The Ravens, on the other hand, have a makeshift platoon of good backs who so far have not been proven to be great. McGahee is constantly injured, Rice is inexperienced, and McClain, while he started well, was less effective as the season went on.

I'm hopeful that with increased carries to Rice, some Bengay for McGahee, and a brief reminder to McClain that he's a short-yardage bruiser that isn't speedy enough to outrace a DB to the sideline, my worries will be overcome.

Ah, thank you for explaining lol. I think Rice will get more carries this year, and he deserves them. I actually wouldn't mind him getting more than McGahee, and that would benefit both players IMO. Just as long as McGahee get's more carries than last year...

Flaming Mo
03-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Word is the Jets with Jones having a beef with his deal and getting a little older. Personally I don't see it, but that's what some of the NY area places are saying now.

I'd have to say I couldn't see it being any but Wells, maybe Brown in a trade down. And I don't really think it happens at all. Likelihood increases big time if LW is traded in a 3-Way Cutler deal, but the odds of that are pretty damn low so...

Well, Moreno is a New Jersey guy and would instantly be a fan favorite. Wells looks like a better fit for the smashmouth running game the Jets try to throw out there yet Moreno is the much more complete back.

Smooth Criminal
03-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Pittsburgh has an h on the end. They changed it during WWII because it looked to german without the h.

slurve
03-24-2009, 06:38 AM
Where'd you come up with that SC? Pittsburgh has had the H since its founding, it was only lost for a short while in the 1890's for the sake of standardization.