PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Quotes

WAREhouse
03-19-2009, 05:36 PM
post some of yours and discuss

"Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once." -Julius Ceasar

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." - MLK Jr.

"True friendship comes when complete silence between two people is comfortable."

"Unfortunate is he who cannot gain a few sincere friends during his life and more unfortunate is the one who has gained them and then lost them (through his deeds)." Ali Ibn Talib

" He who is greedy is disgraced; he who discloses his hardship will always be humiliated; he who has no control over his tongue will often have to face discomfort." Ali Ibn Talib

iowatreat54
03-19-2009, 05:37 PM
"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'."

sbh15
03-19-2009, 05:38 PM
"When more and more people are thrown out of work, unemployment results."
- Calvin Coolidge

"America's present need is not heroics, but healing; not nostrums but normalcy; not revolution, but restoration." (What does this even mean? We just went over his presidency in US History, man was he a fool)
- Warren G. Harding

Finz99
03-19-2009, 05:39 PM
Get money. Get paid.

the_legend_killer
03-19-2009, 05:41 PM
"Don't think, thinking leads to overthinking." -Hank Hill, Assistant Manager, Strickland Propane

sbh15
03-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Oh, I forgot one...

Deeeez Nuuuutz
-Dr. Dre

Loggerhead
03-19-2009, 05:46 PM
" That's what she said."

-Michael Scott

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I'll kill you all.

-General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

Come on, you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?
GySgt. Dan Daly

Bluto: They took the bar! The whole ******* bar

AntoinCD
03-19-2009, 05:47 PM
'Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure'.-Nelson Mandela

'I never turned to drink. It seemed to turn to me'.-Brendan Behan

'A true friend stabs you in the front'.-Oscar Wilde

'Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same'.-Oscar Wilde

Borat
03-19-2009, 05:48 PM
"If you would have told me 25 years ago, that I'd be standing here about to solve the world's energy problems, I'd have said 'you're crazy'. Now help me push this ball of oil out the window."

-Kramer

iowatreat54
03-19-2009, 05:49 PM
" That's what she said."

-Michael Scott

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I'll kill you all.

-General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

Come on, you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?
GySgt. Dan Daly

Bluto: They took the bar! The whole ******* bar
Animal House is golden for quotes...

D-Day: War's over, man. Wormer dropped the big one.
Bluto: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...
[thinks hard]
Bluto: the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!
[runs out, alone; then returns]
Bluto: What the **** happened to the Delta I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? This could be the greatest night of our lives, but you're gonna let it be the worst. "Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Bluto, we might get in trouble." Well just kiss my ass from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Wormer, he's a dead man! Marmalard, dead! Niedermeyer...
Otter: Dead! Bluto's right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
Bluto: We're just the guys to do it.
D-Day: Let's do it.
Bluto: *Let’s do it*!

The Dynasty
03-19-2009, 05:51 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_VIhuXuoehjQ/RjVIfs_pVvI/AAAAAAAAAJc/tyn22E3BRCM/s320/moss.jpg

"Straight Cash Homey."

Loggerhead
03-19-2009, 05:52 PM
Animal House is golden for quotes...

D-Day: War's over, man. Wormer dropped the big one.
Bluto: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...
[thinks hard]
Bluto: the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!
[runs out, alone; then returns]
Bluto: What the **** happened to the Delta I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? This could be the greatest night of our lives, but you're gonna let it be the worst. "Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Bluto, we might get in trouble." Well just kiss my ass from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Wormer, he's a dead man! Marmalard, dead! Niedermeyer...
Otter: Dead! Bluto's right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
Bluto: We're just the guys to do it.
D-Day: Let's do it.
Bluto: *Let’s do it*!

Bluto speech FTW!!!

bored of education
03-19-2009, 05:55 PM
God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.
Voltaire

WAREhouse
03-19-2009, 05:59 PM
"rep me and I'll rep you"-Unknown

YAYareaRB
03-19-2009, 05:59 PM
If Con is the opposite of Pro.. CONgress must be the opposite of PROgress

etk
03-19-2009, 06:06 PM
Any quote from Office Space.

Some lines from RATM songs.

YAYareaRB
03-19-2009, 06:10 PM
"Wherever you're at.. There you are!"

"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind"

and now for my all time favorite..

"PLAYOFFS????"

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
03-19-2009, 06:28 PM
"I'm not a butterfly or a bee...I'm a sledgehammer"- Ray Lewis

someone447
03-19-2009, 06:32 PM
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."
Oscar Wilde

Ain't no sense worrying about things you got no control over, 'cause if you got no control over them ain't no sense in worrying. And ain't no sense worrying about things you got control over, 'cause if you got control over them, ain't no sense worrying.
--Mickey Rivers

He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.
--Winston Churchill

So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause.
--Queen Amidala

A fool repeats his mistakes, a wise man learns from his mistakes, but a genius learns from the mistakes of others.

“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
--Sinclair Lewis

No one can terrorize a whole nation, unless we are all his accomplices.
--Edward R. Murrow

We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. When the loyal opposition dies, I think the soul of America dies with it.
--Edward R. Murrow

I have nothing to declare, but my genius-- Oscar Wilde while talking to US customs while visiting.

“I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend... if you have one.”

–George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

“Cannot possibly attend first night; will attend second, if there is one.”

–Winston Churchill’s response to George Bernard Shaw

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.
Oscar Wilde

I am not young enough to know everything.
Oscar Wilde

Return with your shield, or on it.
Spartan Wives to their husbands going to war

“He had delusions of adequacy.”
–Walter Kerr

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily."
—Charles, Count Talleyrand

First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you.
-F Scott Fitsgerald

A young woman sitting next to Calvin Coolidge at a dinner party confided to him she had bet she could get at least three words of conversation from him. Without looking at her he quietly retorted, "You lose."

Or pretty much anything Oscar Wilde or Winston Churchill ever said.

Brent
03-19-2009, 06:33 PM
"They lay carpet that's made of red and we walk paths made of gold but we are blind just past the noise in this tree-covered Earth"

TimD
03-19-2009, 06:34 PM
That's why I don't cry when my dog runs away
I don't get angry at the bills I have to pay
I don't get angry when my Mom smokes pot, hits
the bottle and goes back to the rock
****** and fighting it's all the same
Livin' with Louie dog's the only way to stay sane
Let the lovin come back to me
-Sublime

"tune on, tune in, drop out"

"think for yourself and question authority"

"science is all a metaphor"

-Timothy Leary

WMD
03-19-2009, 06:37 PM
I don't really go for quotes.. this is the only one that ever comes to my head when I try to think of a quote:

"Just because you are a character, doesn't mean that you have character"

http://www.ugo.com/filmtv/top11-classyassassins/images/10.jpg

CJSchneider
03-19-2009, 06:42 PM
May the Force be with you.

WMD
03-19-2009, 06:45 PM
May the Force be with you.
And also with you.

badgerbacker
03-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Elaine: I don't even know where I'm going.
Peterman: That's the best way to get someplace you've never been.

Rjspartan
03-19-2009, 07:04 PM
All Yogi Berra

You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there.

Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours.

The other teams could make trouble for us if they win.

I don't know if it's good for baseball, but it sure beats the hell out of rooming with Phil Rizzuto! (on the marriage of Joe DiMaggio and Marilyn Monroe)

You wouldn't have won if we'd beaten you!

Half the lies they tell about me aren't true.

and my favorite

"I don't know they had bags over their heads." when asked if the streakers were men or women

someone447
03-19-2009, 07:29 PM
All Yogi Berra

You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there.

Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours.

The other teams could make trouble for us if they win.

I don't know if it's good for baseball, but it sure beats the hell out of rooming with Phil Rizzuto! (on the marriage of Joe DiMaggio and Marilyn Monroe)

You wouldn't have won if we'd beaten you!

Half the lies they tell about me aren't true.

and my favorite

"I don't know they had bags over their heads." when asked if the streakers were men or women

Half this game is 90% mental.

Brent
03-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Half this game is 90% mental.
It gets late early out here.

CJSchneider
03-19-2009, 07:35 PM
More Yogi:

It gets late pretty early out here.

when you come to a fork in the road, take it.

themaninblack
03-19-2009, 07:39 PM
"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, painting, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this your work(and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don't bother concealing your thievery--celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: "It's not where you take things from, its where you take them to."
-Jim Jarmusch

yourfavestoner
03-19-2009, 08:05 PM
"**** bitches. Get money."

TheBuffaloBills
03-19-2009, 08:06 PM
wKjxFJfcrcA

This is pure greatness at its best. I try to say this quote in math class when someone says something really dumb, but I can't top the original.

The_Dude
03-20-2009, 09:14 AM
A young woman sitting next to Calvin Coolidge at a dinner party confided to him she had bet she could get at least three words of conversation from him. Without looking at her he quietly retorted, "You lose."

I tell this to my students when we talk (briefly) about Calvin Coolidge. They never seem to find it funny.... :(

Brent
03-20-2009, 09:44 AM
I tell this to my students when we talk (briefly) about Calvin Coolidge. They never seem to find it funny.... :(
That's pretty damn hilarious.

someone447
03-20-2009, 12:40 PM

I'm not sure if it is all that funny, but it is most definitely awesome.

Brent
03-20-2009, 01:54 PM
"Oh I get it; Romeo & Juliet, Capulus and Romulus. I been there. I'm black, she's white; I'm black, she's light-skinned black; I'm black, she's 17."

The Unseen
03-20-2009, 02:56 PM
off the top of my head

"Religion is not the opiate of the masses; religion is the placebo of the masses." Dr. House

"If anything in this life is certain, if history has taught us anything, it's that you can kill anyone." Michael Corleone, The Godfather Part II

lots of stuff by Thomas Jefferson, don't got the time to look 'em up

diabsoule
03-20-2009, 03:57 PM
“It is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren, till she transforms us into beasts. Is this the part of wise men, engaged in a great and arduous struggle for liberty? Are we disposed to be of the number of those who, having eyes, see not, and having ears, hear not, the things which so nearly concern their temporal salvation? For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst and provide for it.... It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace-- but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death! “
Patrick Henry

“God forbid we should ever be 20 years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, & always, well informed. The past which is wrong will be discontented in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive; if they remain quiet under such misconceptions it is a lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. We have had 13 states independant 11 years. There has been one rebellion. That comes to one rebellion in a century & a half for each state. What country before ever existed a century & half without a rebellion? & What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon & pacify them. What significance is a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is its natural manure.”
Thomas Jefferson

"For so long as but a hundred of us remain alive, we will in no way yield ourselves to the dominion of the English. For it is not for glory, nor riches, nor honour that we fight, but for Freedom, which no good man lays down but with his life." - Declaration of Arbroath

“If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.”
Samuel Adams

“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”
Benjamin Franklin

"Those of us who knew him best talk about him often; I swear, the stuff her pulled. Sometimes it makes me sad though, Andy being gone, I just have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright; and when they fly away, the part of you that knew it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice but the place you live in is that much more sad and empty that their gone. I guess I just miss my friend." - Morgan Freeman/Ellis Boyd 'Red' Redding.

Andy: There are places in this world that aren't made out of stone. That there's something inside... that they can't get to. That they can't touch. That yours.
Red: What are you talking about?
Andy: Hope
From The Shawshank Redemption

"The thousand injuries of Fortunato I had borne as I best could, but when he ventured upon insult, I vowed revenge. You, who so well know the nature of my soul, will not suppose, however, that I gave utterance to a threat. At length I would be avenged; this was a point definitively settled -- but the very definitiveness with which it was resolved precluded the idea of risk. I must not only punish, but punish with impunity. A wrong is unredressed when retribution overtakes its redresser. It is equally unredressed when the avenger fails to make himself felt as such to him who has done the wrong."
The Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allen Poe

"Only strong personalities can endure history: the weak are completely extinguished by it." - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Well ya see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers." - Cliff Clavin

"Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of himself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you; if I die, you are forgiven. Such is the rule of honor."- Lamb of God

"**** Heineken! Pabst Blue Ribbon!" - Dennis Hopper, Blue Velvet

"Without question, the greatest invention in the
history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the
wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does
not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Berry

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."
-Lady Astor to Winston Churchill
"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."
-His reply

"Everybody has to believe in something.....I believe I'll have another drink."
-W.C. Fields

"The easiest way to spot a wanker in a pub is to look around and find who's drinking a Corona with a slice of lemon in the neck."
-Warwick Franks

irishbucsfan
03-20-2009, 04:01 PM
"Patriotism is often an arbitrary veneration of real estate over principle" George Jean Nathan

Brent
03-20-2009, 04:36 PM
"Well, it's 'business drunk', it's like 'rich drunk'. Either way, it's legal to drive."

Crickett
03-20-2009, 04:47 PM
"America's present need is not heroics, but healing; not nostrums but normalcy; not revolution, but restoration." (What does this even mean? We just went over his presidency in US History, man was he a fool)
- Warren G. Harding

You know the old saying "may you live in interesting times"? Well, Harding is saying may we will in uninteresting times. At lease thats how it looks to me.

Borat
03-20-2009, 04:57 PM
"I put on my wizard hat and robe"

-Blood ninja

Giantsfan1080
03-20-2009, 05:01 PM
"I put on my wizard hat and robe"

-Blood ninja

Funny, I thought yours would be "your p**** hangs like sleeve of wizard."

Borat
03-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Yeah, I could post about a hundred Blood Ninja quotes. That guy is my hero.

vidae
03-20-2009, 05:40 PM
I love John Mckay quotes.

Q: What do you think about the execution of your team?
A: I'm all for it.

He also once said "Well, we didn't block, but we made up for it by not tackling."

He had some great oneliners like that.

TACKLE
03-20-2009, 06:16 PM
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

-Kevin Spacey in Usual Suspects as Verbal Kint/Kayser Soze

7-11
03-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Not really a quote, but those seinfeld quotes made me think of it.

KRAMER: Well, after he heckled Toby, she got so upset, she ran out of the building and a street sweeper ran over her foot and severed her pinky toe.
GEORGE: That's unbelievable!
KRAMER: Yeah! Then after the ambulance left, I found the toe! So I put it in a Cracker Jack box, filled it with ice, and took off for the hospital.
GEORGE: You ran?
KRAMER: No, I jumped on the bus. I told the driver, "I got a toe here, buddy - step on it."
GEORGE: Holy cow!
KRAMER: Yeah, yeah, then all of a sudden, this guy pulls out a gun. Well, I knew any delay is gonna cost her her pinky toe, so I got out of the seat and I started walking towards him. He says, "Where do you think you're going, Cracker Jack?" I said, "Well, I got a little prize for ya, buddy - " - knocked him out cold!
GEORGE: How could you do that?!
KRAMER: Then everybody is screamin,' because the driver, he's passed out from all the commotion...the bus is out of control! So, I grab him by the collar, I take him out of the seat, I get behind the wheel and now I'm drivin' the bus.
GEORGE: You're Batman.
KRAMER: Yeah. Yeah, I am Batman. Then the mugger, he comes to, and he starts chokin' me! So I'm fightin' him off with one hand and I kept drivin' the bus with the other, y'know? Then I managed to open up the door, and I kicked him out the door with my foot, you know - at the next stop.
JERRY: You kept makin' all the stops?
KRAMER: Well, people kept ringin' the bell!
GEORGE: Well, what about the toe? What happened to the toe?
KRAMER: Well! I am happy to say that the little guy is back in place at the end of the line.
GEORGE: You did all this...for a pinky toe?
KRAMER: Well, it's a valuable appendage.

Comic gold.

fenikz
03-20-2009, 07:24 PM
"Boosh!!!"

diabsoule
03-20-2009, 08:02 PM
"I molested myself last night. I told myself no but I knew I wanted it."
- Anonymous

themaninblack
03-20-2009, 09:49 PM
"They proved that if you quit smoking it will prolong your life. What they haven't proved is that a prolonged life is a good thing. I haven't seen the stats on that yet." -Bill Hicks.

"You see, I think drugs have done some good things for us. I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor. Go home tonight. Take all your albums, all your tapes and all your CDs and burn them. 'Cause you know what, the musicians that made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years — rrreal ******* high on drugs. The Beatles were so ******* high they let Ringo sing a few tunes."
-Bill Hicks.

CJSchneider
03-20-2009, 10:01 PM
“When I played pro football, I never set out to hurt anyone deliberately - unless it was, you know, important, like a league game or something”

Dick Butkus

fischbowl
03-21-2009, 02:32 AM
http://www.quizilla.com/user_images/M/MO/MOR/morondude/1154723683_randal.jpg

Bunch of Savages in This Town

My HS yearbook quote

A Perfect Score
03-21-2009, 03:02 AM
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."

Samuel Johnson

"Sic transit gloria...Glory Fades."

Rushmore

"Its only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything."
"I want you to hit me as hard as you can."
Any other Fight Club Quote.

Chuck Palahniuk

Thumper
03-21-2009, 03:58 AM

I thought it was funny when my teacher said it, nobody else caught it though. I'm used to that happening often now. History is my favorite class.

My quote:
Here is the test to find whether your mission on Earth is finished: if you're alive, it isn't.
-Richard Bach

fenikz
03-21-2009, 04:37 AM
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
-Saul Tigh

Addict
03-21-2009, 06:53 AM
http://www.quizilla.com/user_images/M/MO/MOR/morondude/1154723683_randal.jpg

Bunch of Savages in This Town

My HS yearbook quote

his summation of LoTR is awesome. (that's in clerks II tho)

Mr. Hero
03-21-2009, 01:47 PM
"One can't love man without hating most of the creatures who pretend to bear his name."
-Ayn Rand

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
– P.J. O'Rourke

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.
– Barry Goldwater

If you are not free to choose wrongly and irresponsibly, you are not free at all.
– Jacob Hornberger

Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.
– H.L. Mencken

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.
-Hermann Goering

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
– Herbert Spencer

Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
-Benjamin Franklin

Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Do whatever you will, but first be such as are able to will
-Friedrich Nietzsche

We should consider every day lost on which we haven't danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which is not accompanied by atleast one laugh.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
-George Carlin

"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction."
-Ayn Rand

"his view of the world was simple: there were the able and there were the incompetent; he was not concerned with the latter."
-Ayn Rand

djp
09-30-2010, 01:20 AM
Bumppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

He's sayin the past is always with us, and where we come, what we go through, how we get through it; all this **** matters. I mean that's what I thought he meant. Like at the end of the book you know boats and tides and all, it's like you can change up, right, you can say you somebody new, you can give yourself a whole new story, but what came first is who you really are and what happened before is what really happened, and it don't matter that some fool say he different cause the only thing that make you different is what you really do, what you really go through. Like, you know, like all the books in his library, now he fronted with all them books but if we pulled one off the shelf aint none of the pages ever been open. He got all them books and he aint read one of them. Gatsby, he was who he was and did what he did, and because he wasn't ready to get real with the story, that **** caught up to him.

jayceheathman
09-30-2010, 02:29 AM
"He failed in business in '31. He was defeated for state legislator in '32. He tried another business in '33. It failed. His fiancee died in '35. He had a nervous breakdown in '36. In '43 he ran for congress and was defeated. He tried again in '48 and was defeated again. He tried running for the Senate in '55. He lost.The next year he ran for Vice President and lost. In '59 he ran for the Senate again and was defeated. In 1860, the man who signed his name A. Lincoln, was elected the 16th President of the United States. The difference between history's boldest accomplishments and its most staggering failures is often, simply, the diligent will to persevere."

Rosebud
09-30-2010, 02:37 AM
FqAF-Alc7CM

If this is too political please take it down, but this whole thing is so ******* inspiring.

My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But, ah, my foes, and, oh, my friends - it gives a lovely light.
- Anonymous

The smallest and most consistently abused minority is the individual.
-Anonymous

Why Would you ever be jealous of someone named Beatrice
-Blair

Being a pimp is different than being a lumberjack.
-Mike Travers

Stanley Motss: The President will be a hero. He brought peace.
Conrad 'Connie' Brean: But there was never a war.
Stanley Motss: All the greater accomplishment.
-Wag the Dog

Conrad 'Connie' Brean: What difference does it make if it's true? If it's a story and it breaks, they're gonna run with it.
-Wag the Dog

Conrad 'Connie' Brean: We're not gonna have a war, we're gonna have the appearance of a war
-Wag the Dog

Until a man is twenty-five, he still thinks, every so often, that under the right circumstances he could be the baddest ************ in the world. If I moved to a martial-arts monastery in China and studied real hard for ten years. If my family was wiped out by Colombian drug dealers and I swore myself to revenge. If I got a fatal disease, had one year to live, and devoted it to wiping out street crime. If I just dropped out and devoted my life to being bad.
Hiro used to feel this way, too, but then he ran into Raven. In a way, this was liberating. He no longer has to worry about being the baddest ************ in the world. The position is taken.
-Neil Stephenson's "Snow Crash"

"You don't respect those people very much, Y.T., because you're young and arrogant. But I don't respect them much either, because I'm old and wise."
-Uncle Enzo, Neil Stephenson's "Snow Crash"

Brent
09-30-2010, 06:33 AM
"Throughout history the most powerful rulers have been sex maniacs. And he asks, does their sex appetite come from having power, or does their will for power come from their sex appetite? 'And if you don't crave sex,' he says, 'will you crave power?' No, he says."

"No matter how many luxuries you get, something will be missing. No matter how carefully you choose, you'll never be totally happy."

"The only difference between a suicide and a martyrdom is press coverage."

all from the same novel.

CJSchneider
09-30-2010, 07:05 AM
Not his best work though.

Halsey
09-30-2010, 07:16 AM
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy."
James Madison

"No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare."
James Madison

aLARGEtopHat
09-30-2010, 10:24 AM
"Like most North Americans of his generation, Hal tends to know way less about why he feels certain ways about the objects and pursuits he’s devoted to than he does about the objects and pursuits themselves. It’s hard to say for sure whether this is even exceptionally bad, this tendency" -DFW

yourfavestoner
09-30-2010, 10:53 AM
"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist."
Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Our country's founders cherished liberty, not democracy."
Ron Paul

"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who makes its laws."
-Mayer Amschel Rothschild

"We are grateful to The Washington Post, The New York Times, Time Magazine and other great publications whose directors have attended our meetings and respected their promises of discretion for almost forty years. It would have been impossible for us to develop our plan for the world if we had been subject to the bright lights of publicity during those years. But, the world is now much more sophisticated and prepared to march towards a world government. The supranational sovereignty of an intellectual elite and world bankers is surely preferable to the national auto-determination practiced in past centuries."
-David Rockefeller to the Council on Foreign Relations

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who
falsely believe they are free."
-Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

"Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories."
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."
-Thomas Jefferson

BLACK_&_YELLOW
09-30-2010, 10:57 AM
"I'm not out there to pussyfoot or be your friend. I have a lot of friends around the league. But I don't know you when you're on the field. I play the game." Greg Lloyd

"I am very aggressive and very physical. On the field I guess I am just plain mean." Jack Lambert.

"It's time to plant some seeds. What that means is, hit them in the mouth. Ya know, plant some seeds. Show 'em what time it is." Levon Kirkland

“I don’t want a broken heart because I’ll lose the pieces.” Lil Wayne

“Always talk to God, never listen to the cops.” Lil Wayne

LizardState
09-30-2010, 11:43 AM
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy."
James Madison

"No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare."
James Madison

Madison was effing brilliant! My fave of his like the 2 quotes above is relevant to today:

Our nation is more greatly imperiled by business interests at home than from all the princes & empires of Europe.

My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But, ah, my foes, and, oh, my friends - it gives a lovely light.
- That's from Edna St. Vincent Millay, American poet

Bumppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

Bump
Bump
Bump,
Down the funny stairs

A. A. Milne
Last line in Winnie the Pooh

"Its only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything."
"I want you to hit me as hard as you can."
Any other Fight Club Quote.
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
Our possessions end up possessing us.

Animal House is golden for quotes... Yes it is:

Dean Wormer: What's your GPA?
Flounder: 0.0, sir....
Dean Wormer: Fat, drunk & dumb is no way to go through life, son.

Some more faves:

Fatigue makes cowards of us all.

You will be fired with intensity, or you will be fired, with intensity.
Vince Lombardi
Green Bay, WI

Art is not a mirror to hold up to society but a hammer with which to shape it.
Bertold Brecht

If you're gonna be a w*h*o*r*e, be the highest priced w*h*o*r*e you can be.
Donald Siegel

When sorrows come, they come
Not as single spies
But in battalions

Nothing is either right or wrong that thinking does not make it so.
Wm. Shakespeare
Hamlet

Men can never be free b/c they're weak, corrupt, worthless, & restless.
The Smoking Man, The X-Files
Chris Carter

And this is how we burn the fat off our souls.
Ernest Hemingway

Never regard people as a means.
Immanuel Kant

The strongest force in the world is a man with right on his side who keeps coming.
Texas Rangers
Texas, 1887

There is no present, there is no future. There is only the past, happening over & over again.
Eugene O'Neill

Indian casinos: taking America back one nickel at a time.
Anon.

You are who you pretend to be, so be very careful who you pretend to be.
Kurt Vonnegut
Mother Night

Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, 3 times is enemy action.
Ian Fleming

If you show me your eyes after you look at your cards, I own you.
Doyle Brunson, original Texas Rounder poker master

I go see a doctor, pay him $50, it don't do no good, I go see another doctor, pay him $75, still don't so no good. Then I go see a man in a house & pay him only $10 for a little bag of stuff, my stomach don't hurt, my liver don't hurt, so I ask you, my comrade in arms, this is the man I'm supposed to say away from?
Charlie Parker
Bird, Clint Eastwood

Nowhere in the world except America do people expect things to get better....
David Chase, The Sopranos

There ain't a horse who can't be rode, & there ain't a cowboy who can't be throwed.
Old Rodeo Adage

Disfunctional? No, I'm not disfunctional, I'm evolving to the next level.
Christopher Titus

The life of man in the state of nature is solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, & short.
Thomas Hobbes
Leviathan, 1651

The mind, stretched by a new idea, will never return to its original dimension.

It is a stiff wind which blows against the empire.....
Oliver Wendell Holmes
Chief Justice, US Supreme Court

The moment you can do just what you like, there is nothing you care about doing.
D. H. Lawrence, Studies In Classic American Literature, 1923

The good old days weren't good every day & the future isn't as good as you thought it would be.
Billy Joel

I'll tell you everything ... later. I'll tell you in another life, when we are both cats.....
Vanilla Sky

He's a poet
He's a picker
He's a prophet
He's a pusher
He's a pilgrim & a preacher
And a problem when he's stoned
He's a walking contradiction
Partly truth & partly fiction
Taking every wrong road
On his lonely way back home
Kris Kristofferson, 1970

We are all in the same boat on a stormy sea, & we owe each other a terrible loyalty.
G. K. Chesterton

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.
Abbie Hoffman

The greatest lies are told before the marriage, after the hunt, & before the election.
Otto von Bismarck

Every loss for the ego is a triumph for the soul.
Karl Jung

There ain't no right
Nowhere.
Jimi Hendrix
Last line in Axis: Bold As Love

I'm from the future... come with me if you want to live.
The Terminator, to Sarah Conner

Conscience & cowardice are really the same things.
Oscar Wilde

You don't have to swim faster than the shark to survive a shark attack. You just have to be able to swim faster than the person you're with.

They say 76% of insane people are having trouble coping with daily life & require incarceration or chemical therapy.... it's the 24% of crazy people who are doing OK for themselves who interest me.
Emo Phillips

When there's blood in the streets, buy property.
Baron de Rothschild

One man's magic is another man's engineering.
Robert Heinlein

You can't hold on
And you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get ya
The lightnin' will
Grateful Dead

....& the road goes on forever
Allman Bros. Band

Pit Bull #53
09-30-2010, 01:15 PM
this thread is obviously missing the greatest quote this forum has seen, for those that were around then.

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/1061/newtonj.png
"lick my nine" - Wayne Newton (WCBGU)

JRTPlaya21
09-30-2010, 05:31 PM
A recent one from everyones favorite coach to hate. "Do you know how badly we wanted to play Duke?" Calipari said. "I think that's why we played so badly against West Virginia. We wanted Duke so badly we couldn't see straight." - John Calamari.

descendency
09-30-2010, 06:30 PM
What is the difference when the religious can not explain an event and say “God did it!” and conspiracy theorists who can not explain an event and say “Bush did it!”? - Unknown

"Let me get this straight. You think that your employer, one of the richest men in the world, is spending his nights running around the city beating criminals to a pulp with his bare hands? And your plan is to blackmail him? Good luck with that. " -Lucius Fox, The Dark Knight

"I'm sick of the media making making female sports athletes into super models when they are clearly 6s at best. Danica Patrick is hot? Really? She's 4'11'' and bowlegged. Sure, maybe shes hot when she's driving and her hair is blowing in the wind AS SHE'S IN LAST PLACE. Maria Sharapova, she's breath taking. Really? Maybe when she was 13 and grunting, but now it doesn't do much for me..." - Daniel Tosh

"I love gaming. I love walk-off homers and headshots, i love drifting the turn at 100 miles per hour, and boss battles with a 600 foot tall Greek god who may or may not be your father. Gaming is having a ridiculously huge TV in a tiny 1 room apartment. It's staying up until 3 am to earn a trophy that isn't real... but it is. And it's girls who know that the way to a man's heart is through a melee attack. I love gaming." - Kevin Butler, Vice President of Sharpening at Sony Corp.

“Did you know America ranks the lowest in education but the highest in drug use? It's nice to be number one, but we can fix that. All we need to do is start the war on education. If it's anywhere near as successful as our war on drugs, in no time we'll all be hooked on phonics.” - Leighann Lord

"This is what's great about sports. This is what the greatest thing about sports is. You play to win the game. Hello? You play to win the game. You don't play it to just play it. That's the great thing about sports: you play to win, and I don't care if you don't have any wins. You go play to win. When you start tellin' me it doesn't matter, then retire. Get out! 'Cause it matters." - American Philosopher, Herm Edwards.

Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them to decide what we ought to do as well as what we shall do. -Jeremy Bentham

SuperMcGee
09-30-2010, 06:31 PM
Kevin Butler is the man, and I don't even play video games.

GB12
09-30-2010, 06:35 PM
"**** me sideways with a lunchbox" - Ethan Albright

Twiddler
09-30-2010, 06:46 PM
"It really tied the room together."

Grizzlegom
09-30-2010, 06:58 PM
"I might almost pity my enemies--if it wasn't so amusing to watch them die." -Tsabo Tavoc

bonus points for whoever actually knows what that's from.

CJSchneider
09-30-2010, 08:52 PM
http://magiccards.info/scans/en/in/281.jpg

Paul
09-30-2010, 09:52 PM
"Good morning...I see the assassins have failed."

CJSchneider
09-30-2010, 10:01 PM
"Let's roll."

TACKLE
10-01-2010, 04:15 AM
"The worst thing to call somebody is crazy. It's dismissive. "I don't understand this person. So they're crazy." That's bull****. These people are not crazy. They strong people. Maybe their environment is a little sick."

- Dave Chappelle

Grizzlegom
10-01-2010, 08:21 AM
"I've said it before and I'll say it again...Man I love being a turtle."

Rosebud
10-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Mr. Hertz: My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?

Hammerson: Do you know why Americans love guns, Mr. Hertz? And it's got nothing to do with all that phallic mumbo-jumbo, "cockin' your gun." No, Hertz, people love guns because America is a land of opportunity, where a poor man can become rich, and a ***** can become a tough guy, if he's got a gun in his hand. Now, I'm hopin' you're not just a ***** with a gun in your hand.
Mr. Hertz: Oh no, sir. No, no, I am not. I'm a tough guy with a ***** in my hand.

Ken: Coming up?
Ray: What's up there?
Ken: The view.
Ray: The view of what? The view of down here? I can see that down here.
Ken: Ray, you are about the worst tourist in the whole world.
Ray: Ken, I grew up in Dublin. I love Dublin. If I grew up on a farm, and was ********, Bruges might impress me but I didn't, so it doesn't.

Ken: Harry, let's face it. And I'm not being funny. I mean no disrespect, but you're a ****. You're a **** now, and you've always been a ****. And the only thing that's going to change is that you're going to be an even bigger ****. Maybe have some more **** kids.
Harry: [furious] Leave my kids ******* out of it! What have they done? You ******* retract that bit about my **** ******* kids!
Ken: I retract that bit about your **** ******* kids.
Harry: Insult my ******* kids? That's going overboard, mate!
Ken: I retracted it, didn't I?

Ray: One *** beer for my *** friend, one normal beer for me because I am normal.

Yuri Orlov: There are two types of tragedies in life. One is not getting what you want, the other is getting it.

Yuri Orlov: Can I go now? You got nothing on me. Except cuffs.

"If I found a job, a project an idea or a person that I wanted-I'd have to depend on the whole world. Everything has strings leading to everything else. We're all so tied together. We're all in a net, the net is waiting and we're all pushed into it by one single desire."

“To sell your soul is the easiest thing in the world. That’s what everybody does every hour of his life. If I asked you to keep your soul – would you understand why that’s much harder?”

“This was pity – this complete awareness of a man without worth or hope, this sense of finality…there was a shame in this feeling his own shame that he should have to pronounce suc judgment upon a man; that he should know an emotion which contained no shred of respect…there must be something terribly wrong with a world in which this monstrous feeling is called a virtue.”

“Now I can make what I want of it: a bow, a spear, a cane…That’s the meaning of life.”

“What you feel in the presence of a thing you admire is just one word – ‘Yes’. The affirmation, the acceptance, the sign of admittance. And that ‘Yes’ is more than an answer to one thing, it’s a kind of ‘Amen’ to life, to the earth that holds this thing, to the thought that created it, to yourself for being able to see it. But the ability to say ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ is the essence of all ownership. It’s your ownership of your own ego. Your soul…[which] has a single basic function – the act of valuing…everything to which you grant your love to is yours.”

Female reporter: If you could've found out what Rosebud meant, I bet that would've explained everything.
Thompson: No, I don't think so; no. Mr. Kane was a man who got everything he wanted and then lost it. Maybe Rosebud was something he couldn't get, or something he lost. Anyway, it wouldn't have explained anything... I don't think any word can explain a man's life. No, I guess Rosebud is just a... piece in a jigsaw puzzle... a missing piece.

Charles Foster Kane: You're right, I did lose a million dollars last year. I expect to lose a million dollars this year. I expect to lose a million dollars *next* year. You know, Mr. Thatcher, at the rate of a million dollars a year, I'll have to close this place in... 60 years.

Charles Foster Kane: This gentleman was saying...
Boss Jim Gettys: I am not a gentleman. I don't even know what a gentleman is.

Charles Foster Kane: As Charles Foster Kane who owns eighty-two thousand, six hundred and thirty-four shares of public transit - you see, I do have a general idea of my holdings - I sympathize with you. Charles Foster Kane is a scoundrel. His paper should be run out of town. A committee should be formed to boycott him. You may, if you can form such a committee, put me down for a contribution of one thousand dollars.

Charles Foster Kane: Read the cable.
Bernstein: "Girls delightful in Cuba. Stop. Could send you prose poems about scenery, but don't feel right spending your money. Stop. There is no war in Cuba, signed Wheeler." Any answer?
Charles Foster Kane: Yes. "Dear Wheeler: you provide the prose poems. I'll provide the war."

I'm going to stop now before I make myself go re-watch Citizen Kane, I've already got La Dolce Vita and Satirycon on docket for today if I decide to be productive.

nepg
10-02-2010, 01:05 PM
"I neither believe nor disbelieve. I either know or I do not."
-Richard Leigh (I think...might've been Michael Baigent)

"Okay, here's the deal, I'm not here to waste your time. Okay, I certainly hope you're not here to waste mine, so I'm gonna keep this short. Become an employee of this firm, you will make your first million within 3 years. Okay, I'm gonna repeat that, you will make a million dollars, within three years of your first day of employment at J.T. Marlin. There's no question as to whether you become a millionaire working here. The only question is, how many times over. You think I'm joking....I am not joking. I am a millionaire. It's a weird thing to hear, right? Lemme tell ya, its a weird thing to say: I am a ******* millionaire. And guess how old I am...27, you know what that makes me here? A ******* senior citizen. This firm is entirely comprised of people your age, not mine. Lucky for me, I happen to be very ******* good at my job or I'd be out of one. You guys are the new blood. You are the future swinging dicks of this firm. Now you all look money hungry and that's good. Anybody who tells you that money is the root of all evil, doesn't ******* have any. They say money can't buy happiness. Look at the ******* smile on my face! Ear to ear baby! You want details, fine. I drive a Ferrari 355 Cabriolet. What's up? (he slides his keys across the long boardroom table) I have a ridiculous house at the South Fork. I have every toy you could possibly imagine. And best of all, I am liquid. So now you know what's possible, let me tell you what's required. You are required to work your ******* ass off at this firm. We want winners here, not pikers. A piker walks at the bell. A Piker asks how much vacation time you get in the first year. Vacation time? People come to work at this firm for one reason, to become filthy rich, that's it. We're not here to make friends, we're not saving the ******* manatees here guys. You want vacation time, go teach third grade at a public school.
Okay, first three months at the firm are as a trainee, you'll make 150 dollars a week. After you've done training, you take the series seven, you pass that, you become a junior broker and you're opening accounts for your team leader. You open forty accounts you start working for yourself, the sky's the limit. A word or two about being a trainee, your friends, parents, other brokers, they're gonna give you **** about it, it's true, a 150 a week, that's not a lot of money. Pay them no mind. You need to learn this business and this is the time to to do it.
Once you pass the test, none of that's gonna matter. Your friends are ****. You tell em you made 25 grand last month they're not gonna ******* believe you. **** them! **** 'em! Parents don't like the life you lead. **** your mom and dad. See how it feels when you're making their ******* Lexus payments. Now go home and think about it. Think about whether or not this is really for you. If you decide that it isn't, listen, it's nothing to be embarrassed about. This is not for everyone. But if you really want this, you call me on Monday and we'll talk. Just don't waste my ******* time......Okay, that's it."-Ben Affleck as Jim Young in Boiler Room

jayceheathman
10-03-2010, 04:20 AM
I'm a man, I'm 40!!!!!

jayceheathman
10-03-2010, 04:21 AM
"I don't know what to say, really. Three minutes to the biggest battle of our professional lives. All comes down to today, and either, we heal as a team, or we're gonna crumble. Inch by inch, play by play. Until we're finished. We're in hell right now, gentlemen. Believe me. And, we can stay here, get the **** kicked out of us, or we can fight our way back into the light. We can climb outta hell... one inch at a time. Now I can't do it for ya, I'm too old. I look around, I see these young faces and I think, I mean, I've made every wrong choice a middle-aged man can make. I, uh, I've pissed away all my money, believe it or not. I chased off anyone who's ever loved me. And lately, I can't even stand the face I see in the mirror. You know, when you get old, in life, things get taken from you. I mean, that's... that's... that's a part of life. But, you only learn that when you start losin' stuff. You find out life's this game of inches, so is football. Because in either game - life or football - the margin for error is so small. I mean, one half a step too late or too early and you don't quite make it. One half second too slow, too fast and you don't quite catch it. The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break of the game, every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone else around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when add up all those inches, that's gonna make the ******* difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying! I'll tell you this, in any fight it's the guy whose willing to die whose gonna win that inch. And I know, if I'm gonna have any life anymore it's because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch, because that's what living is, the six inches in front of your face. Now I can't make you do it. You've got to look at the guy next to you, look into his eyes. Now I think ya going to see a guy who will go that inch with you. Your gonna see a guy who will sacrifice himself for this team, because he knows when it comes down to it your gonna do the same for him. That's a team, gentlemen, and either, we heal, now, as a team, or we will die as individuals. That's football guys, that's all it is. Now, what are you gonna do?"

Razor
10-03-2010, 04:35 AM
"I don't know what to say, really. Three minutes to the biggest battle of our professional lives. All comes down to today, and either, we heal as a team, or we're gonna crumble. Inch by inch, play by play. Until we're finished. We're in hell right now, gentlemen. Believe me. And, we can stay here, get the **** kicked out of us, or we can fight our way back into the light. We can climb outta hell... one inch at a time. Now I can't do it for ya, I'm too old. I look around, I see these young faces and I think, I mean, I've made every wrong choice a middle-aged man can make. I, uh, I've pissed away all my money, believe it or not. I chased off anyone who's ever loved me. And lately, I can't even stand the face I see in the mirror. You know, when you get old, in life, things get taken from you. I mean, that's... that's... that's a part of life. But, you only learn that when you start losin' stuff. You find out life's this game of inches, so is football. Because in either game - life or football - the margin for error is so small. I mean, one half a step too late or too early and you don't quite make it. One half second too slow, too fast and you don't quite catch it. The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break of the game, every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone else around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when add up all those inches, that's gonna make the ******* difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying! I'll tell you this, in any fight it's the guy whose willing to die whose gonna win that inch. And I know, if I'm gonna have any life anymore it's because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch, because that's what living is, the six inches in front of your face. Now I can't make you do it. You've got to look at the guy next to you, look into his eyes. Now I think ya going to see a guy who will go that inch with you. Your gonna see a guy who will sacrifice himself for this team, because he knows when it comes down to it your gonna do the same for him. That's a team, gentlemen, and either, we heal, now, as a team, or we will die as individuals. That's football guys, that's all it is. Now, what are you gonna do?"

Best... monologue.... ever! I love that movie.

djp
10-03-2010, 02:19 PM
ten charactersssssss

Floating down a river… we are all floating down a river, a river with a current that is inevitably constant. It’s not depressing, but beautiful in nature. Race, religion, sexual orientation, income, it doesn’t matter. Every single person on this Earth is all floating down the same river. A river of hope and uncertainty that when our collective lives are over, are searching for the same thing: Self-worth. Is my life worthwhile? For some, self-worth comes when you ascend to Heaven after you die. For others, it’s reincarnating as a different person based on what you did in your previous life. I’m not saying that everyone needs to go out and be perfect citizens, because that’s not what it’s about either. Whoever or whatever gave us a life to live GAVE us exactly that. YOUR life to live the way YOU want it. The self-worth that you are inevitably searching for will not come if you get perfect A’s in school and make $500,000 a year for the rest of your life. That is a pre-determined, obtuse way of looking at self-worth. As we all paddle our own oar down the river, we will find what we are looking for when we realize that only you can tell yourself that you have led a good life, not a number on your bank statement, or how many cars you have. So the next time someone tries to tell you what you should be doing, ignore them. If it's important to you, you'll do it. At least that’s just my way of looking at things.

LizardState
10-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Mo' bettah quotes:

Behind every great fortune is a grand & terrible crime.
VOLTAIRE

One loses a point from his IQ for every year spent on the West Coast.
TRUMAN CAPOTE

If the Pentagon had listened to my advice back in the 60s there would be a Disney World in Cuba right now.
DONALD WESTLAKE

Patriotism is often an arbitrary veneration of real estate over principle.

I drink to make other people interesting.
GEORGE JEAN NATHAN

Alcohol has led to the creation of many great inventions ..... like the taser.
DAVE ATELL

Just b/c you are a character doesn't mean you have character.
ANON.

Ridicule has been the strongest weapon in human history.
SAUL ALINSKY

Honesty is the key to a relationship. If you can fake that, you're in.
RICHARD JENI

In this world a man must be either a hammer or an anvil.
H.W. LONGFELLOW

Always do sober what you said you would do drunk.... that will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
HEMINGWAY

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
EINSTEIN

It takes a heap of living in a house to make a home.
ANON.

There are things in the saddle which ride mankind.

Life is a series of surprises.
R. W. EMERSON

The amateur works hard so he'll do it right once; the real pro works hard so he'll never do it wrong.
DICK VERMEIL

Life is divided into the horirble & the miserable.
WOODY ALLEN

It used to be that being crazy meant something, now everyone's crazy.
CHARLES MANSON

I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.
PETER DEVRIES

Isn't it amazing how someone so obviously stupid can be right 100% of the time?
JOKE TOLD ABOUT MGMT. AT WORK

When they put together the original Oakland Raiders, they cleaned out every bar in the South & every jail in Texas.
JIM MURRAY

Better to be a has been than a never was.
BLACKIE WHITE, aka GUY JUKE, Austin Artist & alt. country bass player

Hockey is a sport for white men. Basketball is a sport for black men. Golf is a sport for white men dressed like pimps.
KEN HICKS

I've discovered I scream the same whether I'm about to be devoured by a great white shark or my foot touches a piece of seaweed.
KEVIN JAMES

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
HUNTER S. THOMPSON

I am a Californian: I love animals & hate people.
ANON.

In Texas, we do not hold expectations from the holders of public office; it's mostly occupied by crooks, dorks, & the comatose.
MOLLY IVINS

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday .... was it worth it?
ANON.

The longer I live, the stranger life gets.
Lassiter, The Virginian

jayceheathman
10-14-2010, 12:23 AM
Mo' bettah quotes:

Behind every great fortune is a grand & terrible crime.
VOLTAIRE

One loses a point from his IQ for every year spent on the West Coast.
TRUMAN CAPOTE

If the Pentagon had listened to my advice back in the 60s there would be a Disney World in Cuba right now.
DONALD WESTLAKE

Patriotism is often an arbitrary veneration of real estate over principle.

I drink to make other people interesting.
GEORGE JEAN NATHAN

Alcohol has led to the creation of many great inventions ..... like the taser.
DAVE ATELL

Just b/c you are a character doesn't mean you have character.
ANON.

Ridicule has been the strongest weapon in human history.
SAUL ALINSKY

Honesty is the key to a relationship. If you can fake that, you're in.
RICHARD JENI

In this world a man must be either a hammer or an anvil.
H.W. LONGFELLOW

Always do sober what you said you would do drunk.... that will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
HEMINGWAY

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
EINSTEIN

It takes a heap of living in a house to make a home.
ANON.

There are things in the saddle which ride mankind.

Life is a series of surprises.
R. W. EMERSON

The amateur works hard so he'll do it right once; the real pro works hard so he'll never do it wrong.
DICK VERMEIL

Life is divided into the horirble & the miserable.
WOODY ALLEN

It used to be that being crazy meant something, now everyone's crazy.
CHARLES MANSON

I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.
PETER DEVRIES

Isn't it amazing how someone so obviously stupid can be right 100% of the time?
JOKE TOLD ABOUT MGMT. AT WORK

When they put together the original Oakland Raiders, they cleaned out every bar in the South & every jail in Texas.
JIM MURRAY

Better to be a has been than a never was.
BLACKIE WHITE, aka GUY JUKE, Austin Artist & alt. country bass player

Hockey is a sport for white men. Basketball is a sport for black men. Golf is a sport for white men dressed like pimps.
KEN HICKS

I've discovered I scream the same whether I'm about to be devoured by a great white shark or my foot touches a piece of seaweed.
KEVIN JAMES

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
HUNTER S. THOMPSON

I am a Californian: I love animals & hate people.
ANON.

In Texas, we do not hold expectations from the holders of public office; it's mostly occupied by crooks, dorks, & the comatose.
MOLLY IVINS

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday .... was it worth it?
ANON.

The longer I live, the stranger life gets.
Lassiter, The Virginian

I like the act that Kevin James says that quote in. That is when he is mentioning how the worst sport ever is water skiing and how his friends will scream "Try to stand up!" whenever he wipes out the second the boat moves. I suck at water skiing as much as Kevin James does the few times I tried it so that act made me laugh.

Brent
10-16-2010, 06:34 PM
there is a line from a song I've always loved that has been stuck in my head for a few days now, it goes:

I see a blank notebook page
and it's my life and there is
nothing I can think to write
I fear the thought of not sensing a thing

and I feel as if there is a lesson I can plan based on this for the beginning of next school year.

mitchaldavis
01-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Like many of you, I collect quotations, I love. This is my first 5 election:
* A day to do something to make you afraid. - Eleanor Roosevelt
* It is difficult to get the news from poems, but men die miserably every day what is found, the lack of William Carlos Williams
* Seed not the same can not be transmitted to the ground roots up. - Proverbs from an ancient Egyptian temple
* For poetry is not words, after all, but for the cold fire, the rope down, lost, what is needed, such as bread in the pockets of hunger. Mary Oliver
* Not only the desire for water, water, and for thirst. - Rumi

Raiderz4Life
01-11-2011, 08:52 PM
"Bunch of slack-jawed ******* around here. This stuff will make you a god damned sexual Tyrannosaurus, just like me."

Blaine

hobbes2053
01-11-2011, 09:51 PM
"I will not anything that is green." - Kurt Cobain

"It's primetime for crimetime." - Super Troopers

holt_bruce81
01-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Pretty much anything from the Office or Muhammad Ali.

Halsey
01-11-2011, 10:49 PM
"You have to be realistic about terrorism. Certain groups of people, certain groups, Muslim fundamentalists, Christian fundamentalists, Jewish fundamentalists, and just plain guys from Montana, are going to continue to make life in this country very interesting for a long, long time."

-George Carlin