PDA

View Full Version : Conner Barwin

rickscott
03-19-2009, 08:55 PM
I just heard that Conner Barwin ran a 4.47 40 today at UC Pro Day. This guy will be flyig up the charts.

Falcon_from_E_Oakland
03-19-2009, 08:57 PM
pro day times = ehhhh

SeanTaylorRIP
03-19-2009, 09:00 PM
He ran the 2nd fastest D-line 40 and what would be a top 10 including LB's at the combine, so can't see how this would improve his stock. Probably ran the same anyways just on a faster surface this time around.

iBoldin
03-19-2009, 09:15 PM
I'd be ecstatic if the Cardinals take Barwin. A late riser but amazing talent.

Scott Wright
03-19-2009, 09:16 PM
This is my guy. One of my favorite prospects in this draft.

I had him as a second rounder before the Scouting Combine.

Babylon
03-19-2009, 09:22 PM
I just heard that Conner Barwin ran a 4.47 40 today at UC Pro Day. This guy will be flyig up the charts.

I heard Connor ran a 4.49 but close enough. All these 40 times at pro days are to be taken in context but the guy can fly for 6-3 and 255. He seems to be looked at as a 3-4 OLb but if he were to add another 10lbs of upper body he could probably play a 4-3 DE. Miami was supposedly interested and for good reason.

03-19-2009, 09:22 PM
If Ayers is able to move all the way up into top-15 discussion, I see no reason to question Barwin in a late-first scenario. Ayers will be able to play as a 4-3 DE so I can understand that part of it, but I like Barwin's versatility just a bit more right now.

FrankGore
03-19-2009, 09:29 PM
Barwin has a good motor and he's obviously got very good speed...my problem is I haven't seen him do anything at the DE position other than beat people with that speed on an outside rush and the occasional bull-rush...two factors that become much less of an advantage for him at the NFL level. He obviously has potential, but he looks more like a good all-around linebacker type than a really elite edge rusher. I think he will go around the end of the first round though.

As for the thoughts of using him at TE...that could be something you dabble around with but it's not as if he's going to be starting on both sides of the ball. He is a defensive prospect...

Babylon
03-19-2009, 09:33 PM
Barwin has a good motor and he's obviously got very good speed...my problem is I haven't seen him do anything at the DE position other than beat people with that speed on an outside rush and the occasional bull-rush...two factors that become much less of an advantage for him at the NFL level. He obviously has potential, but he looks more like a good all-around linebacker type than a really elite edge rusher. I think he will go around the end of the first round though.

As for the thoughts of using him at TE...that could be something you dabble around with but it's not as if he's going to be starting on both sides of the ball. He is a defensive prospect...

Two things, he doesnt have much experience at DE and second he needs a little more upper body work. Based on physical ability he's right up there with Aaron Maybin and Everette Brown (maybe higher). He doesnt have the same profile as those guys though. Classic case of a guy who would probably be rated higher had he gone to a Texas or an SC.

MooshooGawd
03-19-2009, 09:34 PM
Here's a link to a video of Connor running his 40 today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1LpOP-FpH8

ElectricEye
03-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Here's a link to a video of Connor running his 40 today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1LpOP-FpH8

He looks absolutely monstrous.

He's an impressive athlete. Still, his moves are still coming along and we've seen guys that are as athletic as Barwin fail out due to lack of pass rush moves before. Hard not to be excited about his physical skills and he does play nasty.

03-19-2009, 09:45 PM
He seems athletic enough to play OLB in the 3-4 and 4-3. I wouldn't doubt his ability to play as a 4-3 DE, but of course, he would have to start off in a situational pass rushing role. The Raiders had their own converted TE to the position which worked out very well in last year's draft, Trevor Scott, so these type of guys could certainly provide immediate help on the line just based on their tremendous athletic ability alone. Barwin is the much superior overall prospect so the sky is the limit here, imho. I absolutely love this kid's potential.

superman
03-19-2009, 09:49 PM
please fins take him

just think if he AND wake turn out

that's a very scary pass rush

FrankGore
03-19-2009, 09:59 PM
He looks absolutely monstrous.

He's an impressive athlete. Still, his moves are still coming along and we've seen guys that are as athletic as Barwin fail out due to lack of pass rush moves before. Hard not to be exciting about his physical skills and he does play nasty.

That's basically how I feel. I think he could at the very least be a very good linebacker, but unless he goes somewhere that can give him a pass rush repertoire, I don't think he will be a huge force in that aspect. It's true that he's only played DE for a year, but I can't assume he will develop moves with more time at that position. It's sort of a big assumption and something that is difficult to project, so it'll be interesting to track his development.

Ultimately college ends that do nothing but run around OTs/bullrush don't generally become sack masters at the next level unless they are complete physical freaks (ie. Shawne Merriman circa roids). I sorta have the same fear about Orakpo in terms of being a pass rusher. Physical skills are a great starting point but there's a lot more to it obviously...

Mr. Hero
03-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Two things, he doesnt have much experience at DE and second he needs a little more upper body work. Based on physical ability he's right up there with Aaron Maybin and Everette Brown (maybe higher). He doesnt have the same profile as those guys though. Classic case of a guy who would probably be rated higher had he gone to a Texas or an SC.

You don't really believe that last sentence. He's just really raw right now that's why he's a late first round pick, if he went to a bigger school who wouldn't be any less undeveloped, unless you're implying that at Texas or SC they would've converted him to DE sooner and thus let him develop some technique.

MooshooGawd
03-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Also I should add that he did TE drills, DE drills and LB drills today. The New York Jets sent the house to watch him; Rex Ryan himself included.

03-19-2009, 10:12 PM
Barwin would be a freak in Rex Ryan's system!

Babylon
03-19-2009, 10:19 PM
You don't really believe that last sentence. He's just really raw right now that's why he's a late first round pick, if he went to a bigger school who wouldn't be any less undeveloped, unless you're implying that at Texas or SC they would've converted him to DE sooner and thus let him develop some technique.

I think we overhype guys that we tend to see on TV all the time. Penn State, Florida St. and USC players come to mind.

Mr. Hero
03-19-2009, 10:21 PM
I think we overhype guys that we tend to see on TV all the time. Penn State, Florida St. and USC players come to mind.

I think that additional hype is ofset by the additional scrutiny these players get, similarly to how a lot of times staying for one's senior year exposes some warts that people over react to so does over-exposure, see Harvin, Percy.

ElectricEye
03-19-2009, 10:25 PM
I think that additional hype is ofset by the additional scrutiny these players get, similarly to how a lot of times staying for one's senior year exposes some warts that people over react to so does over-exposure, see Harvin, Percy.

Barwin would specifically benefit though. Look just look at Clay Matthews. You can't tell me we wouldn't be projecting Barwin even higher than him based on raw physical ability if he went to a bigger name school.

MooshooGawd
03-19-2009, 10:32 PM
What separates Barwin from a guy like Maybin? Maybin is considered to be a top 10 pick but Connor was just as productive, he's bigger and he's faster.

03-19-2009, 10:33 PM
Barwin would specifically benefit though. Look just look at Clay Matthews. You can't tell me we wouldn't be projecting Barwin even higher than him based on raw physical ability if he went to a bigger name school.

It's also in the blood lines man. ;)

TNPatsFan
03-19-2009, 10:35 PM
His combine time was what, 4.65 or something like that? I really doubt he took almost a full 2 tenths off his time, and I'm sure the teams aren't taking it too seriously.

This guy is so overrated it's hard to believe. I wouldn't touch him before round 3. He's only played one year on defense, he's being projected to play LB which he has never played in his life, he has decent speed for an LB but nothing spectacular, and frankly I watched several Cincinnati games this year and never saw him do anything to make me notice him and say "hey that's a high draft pick right there".

Just because a guy runs fast it doesn't make him a better football player. He's got a good hype machine going because he's working out well. Hopefully coaches are not drafting based on hype and workouts, but rather for what they see him do on the field. And on the field he looks like a decent, not great player, who is very inexperienced on defense and has potential to develop into a good player in time.

ElectricEye
03-19-2009, 10:35 PM
It's also in the blood lines man. ;)

I know, haha. I actually want Matthews more than Barwin. Just saying Barwin would have rose much earlier if he had gone to a bigger school.

Mr. Hero
03-19-2009, 10:41 PM

Clay Matthews showed a lot more technique that Barwin should be able to pick up, but he doesn't have yet. Matthews was much more effective with his hands and showed that he had good instincts, we still have no clue how Barwin's instincts are. I like the guy it's just right now he's new to playing defense, he produced at Cincinnati, but he's got a long way to go before being able to replicate that in the NFL.

superman
03-19-2009, 10:45 PM
His combine time was what, 4.65 or something like that? I really doubt he took almost a full 2 tenths off his time, and I'm sure the teams aren't taking it too seriously.

This guy is so overrated it's hard to believe. I wouldn't touch him before round 3. He's only played one year on defense, he's being projected to play LB which he has never played in his life, he has decent speed for an LB but nothing spectacular, and frankly I watched several Cincinnati games this year and never saw him do anything to make me notice him and say "hey that's a high draft pick right there".

Just because a guy runs fast it doesn't make him a better football player. He's got a good hype machine going because he's working out well. Hopefully coaches are not drafting based on hype and workouts, but rather for what they see him do on the field. And on the field he looks like a decent, not great player, who is very inexperienced on defense and has potential to develop into a good player in time.

no, he was one of the fastest lb/de's at the combine also. that's where it all started. i believe a 4.55 or something.

TNPatsFan
03-19-2009, 10:53 PM
no, he was one of the fastest lb/de's at the combine also. that's where it all started. i believe a 4.55 or something.

I just checked it on NFL.com. His official combine 40 time was 4.66, which is excellent for a DE, and good for an LB. There were 4 LB's faster at the combine but there are quite a few in the NFL that are faster than 4.66.

Babylon
03-19-2009, 10:55 PM

Join the club (Everette Brown, Aaron Maybin and Clay Matthews)

TNPatsFan
03-19-2009, 10:59 PM
Join the club (Everette Brown, Aaron Maybin and Clay Matthews)

Actually Matthews has played LB. And the difference between Brown (and I suppose even Maybin though I'm not a fan) and Barwin is that they were dominant defensive players especially when it came to rushing the passer while Barwin was just a guy who hustled a lot and made an occasional nice play but never really stood out.

spencer61
03-19-2009, 11:05 PM

why leave him off your current draft..?

superman
03-19-2009, 11:08 PM
I just checked it on NFL.com. His official combine 40 time was 4.66, which is excellent for a DE, and good for an LB. There were 4 LB's faster at the combine but there are quite a few in the NFL that are faster than 4.66.

there's not many that big and that fast even in the nfl. i can deal with 4.66 officially considering how this year's combine was. i just heard 4.5's, prob hand times.

i'd put them in order:

brown
orakpo
barwin
maybin

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
03-19-2009, 11:32 PM
When you watch Barwin and consider he only played DE for one season and ended up ( I believe) the Big East Defensive Player of the Year, then turn on film and see how flat out relentless he is at the snap of the ball, I see a guy with major star potential.

His effort off the snap reminds me of Merriman, a guy who attacks the ball with an unbelievable motor.

You put him at OLB and this kid should develop into a Pro Bowl type player.

He's much more physical than Maybin and stronger at the line of scrimmage.

If you think about it, the draft is one of the deepest in years at the hybrid LB/DE position with several guys who look like they have the ability to be difference makers for many years in the pros.

If the kid had a different "paint job" and his first name was Darius instead of Conner, he'd be talked about going safely in the 1st round.

superman
03-19-2009, 11:45 PM
When you watch Barwin and consider he only played DE for one season and ended up ( I believe) the Big East Defensive Player of the Year, then turn on film and see how flat out relentless he is at the snap of the ball, I see a guy with major star potential.

His effort off the snap reminds me of Merriman, a guy who attacks the ball with an unbelievable motor.

You put him at OLB and this kid should develop into a Pro Bowl type player.

He's much more physical than Maybin and stronger at the line of scrimmage.

If you think about it, the draft is one of the deepest in years at the hybrid LB/DE position with several guys who look like they have the ability to be difference makers for many years in the pros.

If the kid had a different "paint job" and his first name was Darius instead of Conner, he'd be talked about going safely in the 1st round.

i don't think that's true. maybe if we were talking hb, wr, cb but not de/olb. look at chris long last year. looked like he was gonna be the #1 pick.

heck, i believe the 1st three picks in last years draft were white for the 1st time in probably a good 15-20 years.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
03-20-2009, 12:39 AM
Basically I'm trying to say people are underestimating his overall athleticism, also playing for a program that doesn't have a rep for being a feeder school to the NFL also hurts him.

But IMO whoever gets this kid is gonna be drafting an Urlacher type football player. Hell, he could probably get it done playing the Mike spot too.

And Chris Long played with a great motor and superior technique, but you wonder if he has the necessary quicks to be a top DE in the pros.

Conner looks like he has ideal athleticism for a DE/OLB speed rusher, with the functional strength to bull rush OTs who outweigh him by 50+ pounds.

Also if Chris Long wasn't the son of Howie, it's a safe bet to assume he wouldn't have been the #1 pick last year.

initial_flo
03-20-2009, 05:33 AM
What separates Barwin from a guy like Maybin? Maybin is considered to be a top 10 pick but Connor was just as productive, he's bigger and he's faster.

Yeah what's with that?

If you're gonna roll the dice on either one of these, I'd rather have take a chance with Barwin at like 35 over Maybin at say 15.

Even though I'm sure Maybin has some more experience on defense, Barwin has shown the ability to pick up positions quickly.

keylime_5
03-20-2009, 08:31 AM
Great year for 'tweeners eh? Barwin will probably go later than he would any other year because of that. Orakpo, Maybin, Brown, English, Barwin, Sidbury, C.Brown, plus guys who might be OLBs for a 3-4 defense like Ayers, M.Johnson, and Matthews.

Barwin is good, he's really raw though. Mike Vrabel II.

superman
03-20-2009, 09:10 AM
Great year for 'tweeners eh? Barwin will probably go later than he would any other year because of that. Orakpo, Maybin, Brown, English, Barwin, Sidbury, C.Brown, plus guys who might be OLBs for a 3-4 defense like Ayers, M.Johnson, and Matthews.

Barwin is good, he's really raw though. Mike Vrabel II.

vrabel v 2.0

as in he's a huge upgrade from vrabel

brat316
03-20-2009, 09:17 AM
He is another Maybin, both have speed and use it and nothing else. They both will end up playing OLB in either 3-4 or 4-3. I think its going to be in the 4-3, since they don't have the pass rush moves to play in the 3-4, or strong enough to hold up against the run in the 3-4.

03-20-2009, 09:45 AM
He is another Maybin, both have speed and use it and nothing else. They both will end up playing OLB in either 3-4 or 4-3. I think its going to be in the 4-3, since they don't have the pass rush moves to play in the 3-4, or strong enough to hold up against the run in the 3-4.

Not true. Barwin is also able to bull rush opposing tackles consistently and he plays with an overall physicality much superior to Maybin's game. Turn on the tape and you see those instincts necessary to hold up against the run and eventually to play in coverage, imo. As someone suggested earlier, I wouldn't put it past this kid to play the Mike spot, although I still see him making his money as a DE/OLB speed rusher. The Jets would be an ideal team for him to go and I'm sure he would flourish in Ryan's system.

OaklandRaider56
03-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Reminds me of Trevor Scott, the Raiders 6th round pick last year. Both crazy good athletes, former TEs who are new to the position, and they both had good production late in their careers. Of course Barwins gonna get drafted 4 rounds sooner.

Big_Pete
03-21-2009, 09:47 AM
I actually like Connor Barwin as a 4-3 SLB

as a former DE, he should be strong at the point of attack over a TE in the running game

he can get into the backfield and make plays

he certainly has the physical tools to cover a TE or RB out of the backfield

Babylon
03-21-2009, 10:57 AM
Reportedly some scouts at his Pro Day had him at 4.43, i'm not totally convinced he wouldnt make a heck of a TE.

brat316
03-21-2009, 11:14 AM
Reportedly some scouts at his Pro Day had him at 4.43, i'm not totally convinced he wouldnt make a heck of a TE.

Mike Vrable?

Saints-Tigers
03-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Basically I'm trying to say people are underestimating his overall athleticism, also playing for a program that doesn't have a rep for being a feeder school to the NFL also hurts him.

But IMO whoever gets this kid is gonna be drafting an Urlacher type football player. Hell, he could probably get it done playing the Mike spot too.

And Chris Long played with a great motor and superior technique, but you wonder if he has the necessary quicks to be a top DE in the pros.

Conner looks like he has ideal athleticism for a DE/OLB speed rusher, with the functional strength to bull rush OTs who outweigh him by 50+ pounds.

Also if Chris Long wasn't the son of Howie, it's a safe bet to assume he wouldn't have been the #1 pick last year.

But if his name were Darius, he'd have a low football IQ, and he wouldn't have as high of character or motor :rolleyes:

SenorGato
03-21-2009, 11:36 AM
But if his name were Darius, he'd have a low football IQ, and he wouldn't have as high of character or motor :rolleyes:

Welcome to the NFL.

Babylon
03-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Mike Vrable?

Dont think Mike ever had that kind of athletic ability. I think rather than a goal line TE the guy could probably be incorporated into your offense while still playing on the other side of the ball.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
03-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I don't like the Mike Vrabel comparison. I always saw Mike as a decent athlete, a skilled hard worker, but not athletically gifted.

Barwin has a 40 inch vert at 255 lbs., among other elite numbers.

Remember, at one time Barwin walked on to Cinncinati's basketball team and got playing time.

He's more in line with a Patrick Kerney or Justin Tuck from an athletic standpoint.

However, I don't see him as a DE on the next level, he really should get it done at OLB.

Shane P. Hallam
03-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Dont think Mike ever had that kind of athletic ability. I think rather than a goal line TE the guy could probably be incorporated into your offense while still playing on the other side of the ball.

Vrabel did when he was younger, pretty athletic on the Steelers IIRC.

PossumBoy9
03-23-2009, 01:38 AM

Was that uncommon? I figured him early 2nd before the Combine. I didn't think it unusual.

Big_Pete
03-23-2009, 05:48 AM
How does Barwin fit as pure TE prospect?

The Giants for example sent their TE coach Mike Pope to his pro day. They are certainly a team that knows quality TEs.

If you don't worry about his college production, with his physical tools and work ethic (and good coaching) he could potentially be a heck of a TE.

Dark Knight01
03-24-2009, 08:32 PM

^^Nah more like you guys overhype guys that run good 40 times.

I like Barwins potential though and NOT because of his 40.

I wonder if he can play SAM at the next level? I see him as a 4-3 pass rush specialist DE who will improve and get stronger or a 3-4 OLB.

Babylon
03-24-2009, 08:40 PM
^^Nah more like you guys overhype guys that run good 40 times.

I like Barwins potential though and NOT because of his 40.

I wonder if he can play SAM at the next level? I see him as a 4-3 pass rush specialist DE who will improve and get stronger or a 3-4 OLB.

Me and just about everyone else out there. I do think we put too much stock into minor fluctuations in 40 times but when a 255lb guy runs a mid 4.4 at a pro day i think it's a pretty big story.

bruschis4all
03-24-2009, 09:34 PM
If the Pats don't take him at 23. I'd be very surprised if they don't at 34. I'm assuming Orakpo,E.Brown and Maybin off of the board at 23. Though Larry
English is a possibility at either of those spots.

phlysac
03-24-2009, 10:10 PM
I tend to wonder why so many seem to love Connor Barwin and bash Aaron Maybin. They measure nearly identical in every sense. People knock Maybin for his inexperience yet he has more experience than does Barwin.

Not bashing either player mind you. I like them both.

brat316
03-24-2009, 10:11 PM
Maybin's lack of pass rush moves

phlysac
03-24-2009, 10:11 PM
As compared to Barwin's lack of pass rush moves :shrugs:

Malaka
03-24-2009, 10:19 PM
I tend to wonder why so many seem to love Connor Barwin and bash Aaron Maybin. They measure nearly identical in every sense. People knock Maybin for his inexperience yet he has more experience than does Barwin.

Barwin is 2x the athlete Maybin is, for starters.

Maybe also, the Maybin hate is because of the extreme overarration of him by Todd McShay.

I do like them both, but I'd rather draft Barwin.

phlysac
03-24-2009, 10:22 PM
Barwin is 2x the athlete Maybin is

How can you gauge that? Barwin, I'm sure, is a better basketball player and Tight End, but Maybin timed and measured nearly identically to Barwin in ALL areas that measure athleticism.

Chief Papabear
03-24-2009, 10:26 PM
How can you gauge that? Barwin, I'm sure, is a better basketball player and Tight End, but Maybin timed and measured nearly identically to Barwin in ALL areas that measure athleticism.

Maybin's been playing the position a lot longer without improvement, whereas Barwin has shown constant improvement

Barwin is my second favorite prospect in this draft(not saying #2 ovr), he has a chance to be the best player to come out of it if he gets good coaching.

phlysac
03-24-2009, 10:40 PM
Maybin's been playing the position a lot longer without improvement, whereas Barwin has shown constant improvement

Again, is this just opinion? Maybin only played in 9 games as a Red-Shirt Freshman where he recorded 4 sacks. In his one and only full season (just as Barwin) he recorded 12 sacks in 13 games. Consider that Barwin played on Special teams defense for 4 years. In his one season as a defender he tallied 10 sacks in 14 games.

I think they are both TREMENDOUS. I'm just trying to understand what seems to be disproportionate feelings about the 2 prospects on this site. They're both raw. They're both tremendous speed rushers. They're both athletic freaks.

Chief Papabear
03-24-2009, 10:47 PM
Aaron Maybin played and practiced at DE for two seasons. He didn't show as much improvement in that time as Barwin did in his one season. That's why I'd take Barwin. But Maybin could well end up being a great player.

Chief Papabear
03-24-2009, 10:49 PM
I've been high on Barwin since before the combine as well. He has a nutty first step, he just had to learn the timing(which he did within the season). He's going to start out as a situational pass rusher next year, probably the year after that too. But he's got the athletic ability to be something special. So explosive.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
03-24-2009, 11:58 PM
The reason some have Barwin rated above Maybin is that he's a natural 255 pounder who didn't have to bulk up before the combine to reach that weight.

Also he plays a much more physical game than Maybin and Barwin has had greater success at bullrushing through OTs to make plays in the backfield.

I've never seen Maybin physically overpower an offensive lineman.

Matter of fact, he's not physical at all which makes it hard seeing him play DE fulltime in the NFL.

Babylon
03-25-2009, 12:36 AM

Both guys are roughly the same size although i think Barwin has maintained his 255lbs whereas Maybin has gone back and forth.

As for being the same athletically (that is your point right?) here are some combine numbers:

Maybin= 4.89 40, 38" vert, 10.4ft broad jump, 4.38 shuttle. Maybin ran 4.59 at his pro day.

Barwin= 4.66 40, 40.5" vert, 10.8ft broad jump, 4.18 shuttle. Barwin ran 4.45-4.47 at his pro day.

I dont think that is basically the same athletically but i'll let others weigh in on that point.

ElectricEye
03-25-2009, 12:52 AM
Yeah, that seemed weird to hear someone say that to me as well.

Barwin tests a lot better than Maybin. I think the real Maybin is closer to the one who showed up at his pro day, but even then Barwin has him beat not only in terms of testing better, but general football athleticism.

Babylon
03-25-2009, 12:57 AM
Yeah, that seemed weird to hear someone say that to me as well.

Barwin tests a lot better than Maybin. I think the real Maybin is closer to the one who showed up at his pro day, but even then Barwin has him beat not only in terms of testing better, but general football athleticism.

Barwin is an unreal athlete but his lack of time at DE is an issue. Brian Urlacher was sort of in the same boat having played a lot of safety when he was in college. Not saying he's Brian Urlacher but i think someone is going to grab him probably a little higher than he should go. I would say zero chance he makes it to the 2nd round.

PACKmanN
03-25-2009, 01:19 AM

Maybin= steroids

ElectricEye
03-25-2009, 01:23 AM
Eh, I think there's a good chance he ends up in the early second even with the crazy workout numbers. His lack of moves is the main issue. I think he'll have issues disengaging from blocks initially. Tackles who can keep up with him will be able to control him. Barwin is a guy I wouldn't feel comfortable taking unless you felt you had a coaching staff that can bring him along the right way. Probably needs to be used situationally at first but if he can master the nuances of pass rushing he could be a Pro Bowl type player. He's the absolute prototypical 3-4 outside linebacker and is a perfect candidate to make that switch given how he's mostly a blank slate defensively. I'm starting to come around to the idea of the Patriots taking him now though, but I wouldn't want him in the first.

TNPatsFan
03-25-2009, 09:33 AM
Being a great athlete and getting lots of good hype can move you way up in the draft.. just like it did for Chad Jackson.

I really don't care about workout numbers. I care about what I see guys do on the football field. I watched a number of Cincinnati games this year and the only reason I even noticed Barwin was because it was unusual to see a DE wearing number 5. Other than that I never saw him do anything to make me think "wow this guy is good!". Add to that the fact that he only played defense for one year and has never played LB, then as a Pats fan I really hope they don't consider drafting this guy as an OLB before the third round. And if some other team wants to draft him earlier than that, so be it.

Babylon
03-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Being a great athlete and getting lots of good hype can move you way up in the draft.. just like it did for Chad Jackson.

I really don't care about workout numbers. I care about what I see guys do on the football field. I watched a number of Cincinnati games this year and the only reason I even noticed Barwin was because it was unusual to see a DE wearing number 5. Other than that I never saw him do anything to make me think "wow this guy is good!". Add to that the fact that he only played defense for one year and has never played LB, then as a Pats fan I really hope they don't consider drafting this guy as an OLB before the third round. And if some other team wants to draft him earlier than that, so be it.

Either you missed the 11 sacks and 7 pass breakups or you dont put much stock in numbers.

As for his lack of pass rushing moves i've seen a real nice bullrush and good low leverage getting around his opponent. Learning differant techniques is why they pay coaches at the next level.

Keep in mind Matt Jones basically never played WR and based on a great combine moved himself into the 1st round.

Babylon
03-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Second workout scheduled for tommorrow and monday i believe it is, with the Patriots, obviously serious interest there (that's a no brainer). Question is do they feel he'll slide to pick #34 or do they have to pick him at #23 or trade up to get him.

phlysac
03-28-2009, 01:19 PM
Sometimes 2nd workouts aren't a good sign.

nhlkdog411
03-30-2009, 01:07 PM

Don't forget he'd be a self made player who despite having great range isn't much of an athlete :p