PDA

View Full Version : Bucs agreed to terms with T Luke Petitgout.

SpinaMan
03-06-2007, 12:58 PM
http://rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=932

Bucs agreed to terms with T Luke Petitgout.

Yet another high-risk signing for Tampa, but at least this one has a high reward. Petitgout is one of the best run blocking tackles in the league, and he doesn't have to protect the blind side if Chris Simms wins the Tampa job. Petitgout is coming off a broken leg and has a history of back troubles, so we suspect some incentives are built into the deal.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

What are your thoughts? I hope he is not injury prone.

Caddy
03-06-2007, 02:15 PM
"Free-agent tackle Luke Petitgout has reached agreement with Tampa Bay on a three-year, $15.5 million deal that includes a $3 million signing bonus. "

Doesn't sound too bad to me. Better than the Carter deal in my opinion. The guy is 30 years old and shoud have no problem starting at LT for the Bucs.

Question is, Do the Bucs still take Joe Thomas if CJ is off the board?

Beans
03-06-2007, 03:08 PM
I think this more or less locks Amobi in at #4 if Calvin doesn't fall to us.

etk
03-06-2007, 04:11 PM
With the recent signings, it looks like we will trade down if CJ is gone. Amobi Okoye is not worth a top 5 pick or top 5 money, so there is no chance that we will draft him at #4. We would have to pay DeWayne Robertson money for a guy that is not an elite player or a high-impact player. There's only one possible outcome for drafting him at #4, and it's bad.

Merlin
03-06-2007, 05:33 PM
"Free-agent tackle Luke Petitgout has reached agreement with Tampa Bay on a three-year, $15.5 million deal that includes a $3 million signing bonus. "

Doesn't sound too bad to me. Better than the Carter deal in my opinion. The guy is 30 years old and shoud have no problem starting at LT for the Bucs.

Question is, Do the Bucs still take Joe Thomas if CJ is off the board?

If Quinn is their we would be mad not to take him, he'd have a year to sit and learn behind Garcia, it would be perfect IMO.

Beans
03-06-2007, 05:36 PM
If Quinn is their we would be mad not to take him, he'd have a year to sit and learn behind Garcia, it would be perfect IMO.

http://www.bevosports.com/images/simms_airbornTD.jpg

Hi, my name is Chris Simms. Remember that time I helped lead the Bucs to the playoffs, where our O-Line and a Edell Shpered drop blew the game? And how I was a solid starter all season? No one ever seems to. :(

Chucky
03-06-2007, 05:37 PM
I love this signing, best LT available

Tampa 2 4 life
03-06-2007, 05:38 PM

Repeat after me: We are not getting another Quarterback this off season. Gruden should be fired if we do. Chris Simms is a good QB. Garcia doesn't want us to draft a QB in round one.

Canadian_kid16
03-06-2007, 05:58 PM
NOt a bad signing, and seriously etk, do you think ANY defnesive player is worthy of our first rounder? You bashed Adams and you don't tihnk OKoye is gonna be a superstar. Any defnesive players cath your eye then?

ks_perfection
03-06-2007, 07:04 PM
I really like this deal, at the beginning of the off-season I didn't think there was any OL player that we realistically could get that would make a significant improvement. Im pleasently surprised.

Caddy
03-06-2007, 11:29 PM
NOt a bad signing, and seriously etk, do you think ANY defnesive player is worthy of our first rounder? You bashed Adams and you don't tihnk OKoye is gonna be a superstar. Any defnesive players cath your eye then?

Is any defensive player worth the 4th overall pic? No. But I could definitely see the Buccaneers drafting Gaines Adams with the #4 overall. He would add a great dimension to Tampas lacklustre pass rush and would continue with our D-Line overhaul.

Merlin
03-07-2007, 03:18 AM
Repeat after me: We are not getting another Quarterback this off season. Gruden should be fired if we do. Chris Simms is a good QB. Garcia doesn't want us to draft a QB in round one.
Chris Simms may be a good QB, but do you honestly think he is our future?

We signed Garcia to a two year deal, as thing's stand we have an unproven Simms who was only re-signed to a two year deal himself, thats hardly a glowing show of confidence IMO, and a second year 6th rounder!

To let Quinn sit for a year and learn the offense, would be an ideal situation, defensivly the draft has plenty of depth in most positions, I don't believe their is a top 5 defender in this years draft.

If CJ isn't their, I would hope we take Quinn, though if we selected Thomas, I wouldn't lose any sleep.

Caddy
03-07-2007, 03:45 AM
Chris Simms may be a good QB, but do you honestly think he is our future?

We signed Garcia to a two year deal, as thing's stand we have an unproven Simms who was only re-signed to a two year deal himself, thats hardly a glowing show of confidence IMO, and a second year 6th rounder!

To let Quinn sit for a year and learn the offense, would be an ideal situation, defensivly the draft has plenty of depth in most positions, I don't believe their is a top 5 defender in this years draft.

If CJ isn't their, I would hope we take Quinn, though if we selected Thomas, I wouldn't lose any sleep.

I honestly would not be surprised if the Buccaneers drafting Quinn. He could sit behind Garcia for a year and learn from an experienced player.

In saying that, I do not think that the organisation is willing to give up on Simms yet. He has proven himself a decent starter in the past and I hope he can do it again in the future.

Watchman
03-07-2007, 12:12 PM
I honestly would not be surprised if the Buccaneers drafting Quinn. He could sit behind Garcia for a year and learn from an experienced player.

In saying that, I do not think that the organisation is willing to give up on Simms yet. He has proven himself a decent starter in the past and I hope he can do it again in the future.

It wouldn't shock me if the Bucs took Quinn. I imagine a trade involving Simms would occur if Quinn was drafted.

etk
03-07-2007, 12:18 PM

There are 2 defensive players worthy of a top 5 pick this year IMO. LaRon Landry & Alan Branch. Branch could be a dominant NT, but he doesn't suit us. Landry will be a perennial Pro Bowler and have instant success. He is a complete safety. Because Branch does not fit our defense, Landry is the only defensive player worth drafting without trading down. I like Okoye but he is not worth a top 12 pick, and Gaines Adams is overrated and would have limited impact on our team because he can't stop the run. Jamaal Anderson would be an OK pick too. There's just a lack of breathtaking talent from the defensive guys this year. No AJ Hawks or Sean Taylors, etc.

Bucs4242
03-08-2007, 04:02 PM
http://www.bevosports.com/images/simms_airbornTD.jpg

Hi, my name is Chris Simms. Remember that time I helped lead the Bucs to the playoffs, where our O-Line and a Edell Shpered drop blew the game? And how I was a solid starter all season? No one ever seems to. :(

I haven't forgot. It is convenient for people who are anti-Gruden/Simms to forget about the 2005 season. I remember counting out 3-4 4th quarter game winning drives Simms manufactured. Something I've never seen done before in Tampa. The offense coming from behind in the 4th quarter?

Simms has had his struggles but for a guy who still hasn't started 16 games yet, people are fast to throw that bust label on him. Some people cant stand waiting for a QB to develop in todays NFL, even if it is widely known that the WCO takes 5 years to learn the in's and out's in. Simms is going into his 5th year.

I still think Simms fits better in a offense like Oakland, SSt Louis, Detroit, Dallas, etc. I really think he can do some serious damage ala Kurt Warner, Drew Bledsoe if he was in the right offense. That being said I wouldn't be completely pszd if the Bucs drafted Quinn but it would be far from my first choice

Bucs4242
03-08-2007, 04:09 PM
There are 2 defensive players worthy of a top 5 pick this year IMO. LaRon Landry & Alan Branch. Branch could be a dominant NT, but he doesn't suit us. Landry will be a perennial Pro Bowler and have instant success. He is a complete safety. Because Branch does not fit our defense, Landry is the only defensive player worth drafting without trading down. I like Okoye but he is not worth a top 12 pick, and Gaines Adams is overrated and would have limited impact on our team because he can't stop the run. Jamaal Anderson would be an OK pick too. There's just a lack of breathtaking talent from the defensive guys this year. No AJ Hawks or Sean Taylors, etc.

Laron Landry would be a horrible pick, I would take Dwayne JArrett, Levi Brown, Patrick WIllis, Jamaal Anderson, Leon Hall, Brandon Meriweather and maybe Chris Houston over Laron Landry. I think Meriweather is better than Landry. Bucs do not need a top 10 draft pick on a safety. Im not sold on Alan Branch either. Personally I would rather draft both Gaines Adams or Amobi Okoye over Branch. WHy in the world would the Bucs draft a NT top 5? It would be the equivelant of drafting a dominate center top 5 for how important NT is to this defense. Even if Branch played UT for the BUcs, he has not been a productive pass rusher. Id rather take a DE who cant stop the run over a UT who cant rush the pass.

Gaines Adams is strong against the run and has good size. Gaines Adams is definitely worth the #4 pick.

etk
03-08-2007, 04:14 PM
I haven't forgot. It is convenient for people who are anti-Gruden/Simms to forget about the 2005 season. I remember counting out 3-4 4th quarter game winning drives Simms manufactured. Something I've never seen done before in Tampa. The offense coming from behind in the 4th quarter?

Simms has had his struggles but for a guy who still hasn't started 16 games yet, people are fast to throw that bust label on him. Some people cant stand waiting for a QB to develop in todays NFL, even if it is widely known that the WCO takes 5 years to learn the in's and out's in. Simms is going into his 5th year.

I still think Simms fits better in a offense like Oakland, SSt Louis, Detroit, Dallas, etc. I really think he can do some serious damage ala Kurt Warner, Drew Bledsoe if he was in the right offense. That being said I wouldn't be completely pszd if the Bucs drafted Quinn but it would be far from my first choice

Thank you very much, well said.

etk
03-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Laron Landry would be a horrible pick, I would take Dwayne JArrett, Levi Brown, Patrick WIllis, Jamaal Anderson, Leon Hall, Brandon Meriweather and maybe Chris Houston over Laron Landry. I think Meriweather is better than Landry. Bucs do not need a top 10 draft pick on a safety. Im not sold on Alan Branch either. Personally I would rather draft both Gaines Adams or Amobi Okoye over Branch. WHy in the world would the Bucs draft a NT top 5? It would be the equivelant of drafting a dominate center top 5 for how important NT is to this defense. Even if Branch played UT for the BUcs, he has not been a productive pass rusher. Id rather take a DE who cant stop the run over a UT who cant rush the pass.

Gaines Adams is strong against the run and has good size. Gaines Adams is definitely worth the #4 pick.

I never said I thought we should take him, he's just the only defensive player worthy of a top 5 pick IMO. We need to improve our pass rush one way or another if CJ is gone. You didn't say Jarrett there did you!!!!

Caddy
03-08-2007, 10:04 PM
I think Meriweather is better than Landry.

In no way is Merriweather better than Landry. No way.

Chucky
03-08-2007, 10:17 PM
i would still rather have nelson and griffen over merriweather

Caddy
03-08-2007, 10:31 PM

Exactly, which is why saying you would take him over Landry is idiotic

etk
03-09-2007, 01:19 PM

Nelson sucks. Meriweather is the 2nd best safety, but he's not close to Landry.

Bucsfan
03-09-2007, 03:35 PM
I think the only legitamate reason some of you want merriweather is cause he is from florida.....I guess I cant blame ya...I want Eric Weddle at safety, I think he would fit our team better

etk
03-09-2007, 03:55 PM
None of us are from Florida, and you want Weddle because you are from Utah. It doesn't get more homer than that. I think Weddle might slip to us in the 3rd and we will take him there. I would like that a lot.

Caddy
03-09-2007, 04:08 PM
None of us are from Florida, and you want Weddle because you are from Utah. It doesn't get more homer than that. I think Weddle might slip to us in the 3rd and we will take him there. I would like that a lot.

I think Weddle is going in the middle of the 2nd, so if we want him it'll have to be at the top of the 2nd. To me this wouldn't even be that much of a reach provided the safeties rated ahead of him are off the board.

etk
03-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Mayock thinks he will be a late 2nd at the most. Mayock is never wrong.

Caddy
03-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Mike Mayock gave the Buccaneers Eric Winston in the 1st round of his mock last year. He is wrong.

Bucsfan
03-09-2007, 04:36 PM

its not a homer pick, i like him cause i like utah, but even if I didnt he fits well in the cover 2 scheme, so ****

Bucsfan
03-09-2007, 04:36 PM
I think Weddle is going in the middle of the 2nd, so if we want him it'll have to be at the top of the 2nd. To me this wouldn't even be that much of a reach provided the safeties rated ahead of him are off the board.

I think we could grab him with our 2b or 3rd pick, I think some safeties will fall

Caddy
03-09-2007, 04:41 PM
its not a homer pick, i like him cause i like utah,

Is that not the definition of a homer ;)

Bucsfan
03-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Is that not the definition of a homer ;)

hmmm maybe by your definition, But I dont want us to pick him just because he went to utah, so put on your glasses and re read it, I want him on the Bucs because he fits our system, if he didnt I would still like him on another team

Caddy
03-09-2007, 04:58 PM
Just messin with you dude, I want him on our team as well. I like him better than Griffen, Nelson and Meriweather.

etk
03-09-2007, 04:59 PM
hmmm maybe by your definition, But I dont want us to pick him just because he went to utah, so put on your glasses and re read it, I want him on the Bucs because he fits our system, if he didnt I would still like him on another team

Brandon Meriweather fits our defense even better. Unlike Weddle he can cover the slot exceptionally well and we could put him at corner if we had to. We love our free safeties to be undersized CB/S hybrids that can cover a lot of space, and Meriweather is the only one that hits like a ton of bricks as well.

Caddy
03-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Brandon Meriweather fits our defense even better. Unlike Weddle he can cover the slot exceptionally well and we could put him at corner if we had to. We love our free safeties to be undersized CB/S hybrids that can cover a lot of space, and Meriweather is the only one that hits like a ton of bricks as well.

Sure Meriweather is great and I would in no way object to having him on our team. I just feel that Weddle has the type of personality which would suit the direction our team is heading. He is a high character, team first player, who would be a good fit for our defense.

The Bucs are going to have to make a tough decision come draft day.

Ken Hamlin anyone?

etk
03-09-2007, 05:12 PM
Sure Meriweather is great and I would in no way object to having him on our team. I just feel that Weddle has the type of personality which would suit the direction our team is heading. He is a high character, team first player, who would be a good fit for our defense.

Ken Hamlin anyone?

Very very very unlikely

Bucsfan
03-10-2007, 03:53 AM

to be honest i dont know a whole lot about merrieweather, I have watched him a little

but one thing about weddle that you said that merriweather is good, is that he can play corner, but on this site back at the senior bowl, gruden said himself the weddle can play corner also, more like a nickelback but still

Weddle played the following positions in college

QB,RB,LB,S,CB,KR,PR,Placeholder

he obviously isnt going to do that in the NFL, I just like him cause he is good at several things, but it sounds like merriweather is possibly in the same boat, btw was merriweather involved in that fight last year? Weddle has good character also, not sure if merriweather was involved or not, but that would defeinetely have a effect imo if we draft him or not, gruden likes high character guys

Bucsfan
03-10-2007, 03:54 AM

Ken Hamlin anyone?

I like Hamlin, but he kinda seems like a puss, and i wouldnt overpay for him

I would rather the Bucs draft one, or get mike doss

Caddy
03-10-2007, 05:19 AM
It is amazing how a thread about Luke Petitgout can turn into one about how the buccaneers should address the safety position in the draft/free agency.

We should make a new thread about this

Merlin
03-10-2007, 06:34 AM
It is amazing how a thread about Luke Petitgout can turn into one about how the buccaneers should address the safety position in the draft/free agency.

We should make a new thread about thisBump.

We have a winner!

etk
03-10-2007, 10:48 AM
I like Hamlin, but he kinda seems like a puss, and i wouldnt overpay for him

I would rather the Bucs draft one, or get mike doss

If anything Hamlin is not a puss. He loves to hit and he does it well, the only problem is that he hits with his head down which caused injuries for him and it's very dangerous. One of my friends played fullback and got 4-5 concussions hitting with his head down in minor football (9-12) alone. It's even more dangerous in the NFL where contact is more severe.

etk
03-10-2007, 10:51 AM

We should make a new thread about this

It's like the good old days of the solo thread :D

By all means continue to talk about whatever you feel here, it's nostalgic....of 2 months ago!!! At least for me.....

Chucky
03-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Just messin with you dude, I want him on our team as well. I like him better than Griffen, Nelson and Meriweather.

I think weddle is definatly behind all 3 of those guys

Bucsfan
03-10-2007, 01:42 PM
I think weddle is definatly behind all 3 of those guys

depends on who you ask, weddle is behind nelson and griffin, but merriweather and weddle go back and forth of who is better

etk
03-10-2007, 01:57 PM
depends on who you ask, weddle is behind nelson and griffin, but merriweather and weddle go back and forth of who is better

I see Meriweather going as high as 23 in many Mock Drafts. I see Weddle in the late 2nd/early 3rd in most. Pretty overwhelming difference to be a back and forth situation.

Caddy
03-10-2007, 03:32 PM
I see Meriweather going as high as 23 in many Mock Drafts. I see Weddle in the late 2nd/early 3rd in most. Pretty overwhelming difference to be a back and forth situation.

Weddle reglularly goes in the 1st to the Chargers or Pats

Bucs4242
03-20-2007, 04:13 AM
I think the only legitamate reason some of you want merriweather is cause he is from florida.....I guess I cant blame ya...I want Eric Weddle at safety, I think he would fit our team better

actually I have a strong dislike for Miami, I was just able to see a ton of Miami games living in Florida and Meriweather is a stud. I am verty impressed with him, especially when they played my Noles.

Meriweatehr is a beast, just watch and see who has the best NFL career