PDA

View Full Version : jarron gilbert

jj45
03-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Would any fellow bears fan like to gilbert in bears uniform, I would rather have him then a undersized end who can swallowed up by tackles when gilbert is just as fast and bigger and stronger. I think best end in the draft is orakpo and he will be gone long before . If we go dline I say we go with gillbert who is need can shift inside sense harris get hurt a lot. Any thoughts

VoteLynnSwan
03-21-2009, 02:40 PM
he doesn't fit the scheme as a DE... he could probably be a pretty good UT, but we can't afford to spend what would probably be a 1st or 2nd round pick on him with all our other needs.

regoob2
03-24-2009, 11:28 AM
He's Idonije but younger. I highly doubt he's as valuable to us as he will be to a 3-4 team on draft day.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-25-2009, 03:53 PM
He's a 5 technique in the NFL.

There really isn't a fit here.

Workout warrior as well.. Was never super productive in college.

LizardState
04-11-2009, 11:45 AM
He's a 5 technique in the NFL.

There really isn't a fit here.

Workout warrior as well.. Was never super productive in college.

Gilbert is skyrocketing up NFL draft boards now after his Pro Day. Yes you're right he's a textbook 5 technique. But you're wrong about his production.

I covered his workout at the San Jose St. Pro Day & interviewed him after. The following is from my SJSU Pro Day post on the Pro Day thread.

He was a four-year starter for the Spartans, starting at defensive end in a 4-3 defense through mid-2007, before being switched to defensive tackle. His sack production jumped from 4 in 2007 to 9.5 in 2008, putting up22 tackles for loss last season. I pointed out to him that he was playing next to DE Jeff Schweiger, a USC transfer to SJ St., & that made Schweiger locker room poster board material for Spartans opponents, so Gilbert agreed he was the beneficiary of the dbl-teams Schweiger drew vs. WAC opponents.

The rest of his measureables: He measured 6-5, 284 lbs, with 36-in. arms. He vertical jumped 37 inches, with a “tip tile” on the 38-inch mark. He ran a 4.4 short shuttle, 6.9 long shuttle, and improved his 40 time to 4.7 from his 5.0 Combine mark. His upper body strength was rated above average & his weight does not fluctuate greatly during the season ... he will probably weigh a maximum of 290 in his career.

He said he wants to play a pure DE in the NFL with his hand on the ground, the Raiders, Steelers, Chargers & others have expressed an interest in him, & Jets HC Rex Ryan personally worked him in the positional drills. Ryan has a huge mega-gut & must weigh like 350, but Gilbert consistently pushed him back every time; Ryan spent the most time with him. He had done his draft homework too, noting that "all the Steelers d-linemen are over 30 now." And Gilbert has a NFL pedigree, his father Daren played 0-line for the Saints, we all know that can be golden on draft day.

I project him cracking the 2nd rd. to a team with a 4-3 defense & a secondary need for a DE there. The Carolina Panthers had the biggest contingent there at the Pro Day with HC Jon Fox + 3 assts., I think they were there for Gilbert b/c they have known for quite awhile they will be losing Peppers in a trade & have no 1st rd. pick. By the time they pick in the 2nd Okrapo, Tyson Jackson, Maybin & Everette Brown will likely be gone, so I think Carolina will take Gilbert to replace Peppers.

Wavy77
04-16-2009, 05:49 AM
I would love to see him fall to the Bears in the 3rd round, but I highly doubt that he will, and even if he did, I'm not sure if we'll take him, since he's projected as a 5 technique.

Personally I'm starting to get a little fed up with the whole idea of a "perfect fit" in this and this scheme, and that if you can play two different roles, all of a sudden you're a tweener. Look at all those DEs who're considered 3-4 OLB prospects: I doubt all of them are actually a good fit in a two-point stance.

Like Larry English for instance: wasn't he exclusively playing with a hand to the ground with Huskies? So far all places I've seen have listed him as a LB.

I think it all has something to do with all those teams trying to make the transition to 3-4, and the dire need for THOSE TEAMS. What most writers don't mention is that the majority of NFL teams still use 4-3 as their main formation. Hell, some of the typical 3-4 teams (Ravens, Chargers) use a lot of 4-3 as well. I'm sick and tired of all the 3-4 talk. Let's hope it all stops when Packers prove to the whole league why it doesn't have to be success this year...;)

shady00
04-16-2009, 06:10 AM
I would love to see him fall to the Bears in the 3rd round, but I highly doubt that he will, and even if he did, I'm not sure if we'll take him, since he's projected as a 5 technique.
I'd be happy if he fell to us in the 2nd to be honest. He is better fit as a 5-technique but he would still be great in a 4-3.

85BearFan
04-16-2009, 04:19 PM
The more I learn the more Im loving this pick if Nicks, Robiskie and Britt are gone.

In Marinelli and Rusty I trust, to mold this speciman into our franchise DE. We drafted Bazuin 62nd, and I think Jarron is a far superior prospect. Great size, athleticism, can rush the passer well, just needs to be trained in the Bears 4-3, and there is no immediate need for this year.

jj45
04-26-2009, 09:46 AM
yes my prediction came true sweet now lets get a receiver

shady00
04-26-2009, 09:47 AM
haha nice post. foreshadowing

bearsfan_51
04-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Good job with the pick, and in the 3rd no less.

regoob2
04-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Well he is athletic and very explosive. Very strong. Uses hands well. I hope he can play LE.

regoob2
04-26-2009, 10:50 AM
I hope he slims down a bit and plays LE. I dont like taking a UT that early. Lets hope he does both.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
04-26-2009, 01:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXDSPbZ_OUw

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
04-27-2009, 12:20 AM
Gilbert can line up anywhere on the Bears Dline IMO and make plays. He can play DT next to Harris, or SDE.

Personally I think he was a great pickup and the type of single pick who can elevate the overall effectiveness of the defense.

dabears10
04-27-2009, 10:05 AM
JA was on ESPN 1000 and says the plan is to use Gilbert at the End on rushing downs and moved inside for passing downs. We'll see how it works.

TitleTown088
04-30-2009, 06:47 PM
JA was on ESPN 1000 and says the plan is to use Gilbert at the End on rushing downs and moved inside for passing downs. We'll see how it works.

Cullen Jenkinsesk?

John Preston
04-30-2009, 11:07 PM
I really like Gilbert for a Cover 2 system. He's athletic enough to kick outside as a strong side end and give you pressure off the edge, and he's big enough to spell Tommie Harris when he needs a blow and get pressure in the interior. I think bulking him and having him play UT is a mistake, but keeping him around 290 and using him at LE and 3 technique, or as part of a Steve Spagnoulo-esque 4 aces line on passing downs is a recipe for success.

As a Chiefs fan, I'm completely flabbergasted that we passed on this guy for Alex Magee at the top of R3.

BeerBaron
05-01-2009, 11:50 PM
As a Chiefs fan, I'm completely flabbergasted that we passed on this guy for Alex Magee at the top of R3.

I've now read that a lot more teams viewed him as a 4-3 UT rather than a 3-4 DE.....which is a little surprising, but it would probably give you the reasoning on why McGee over Gilbert.

LizardState
05-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Gilbert has DROY potential, it all depends on playing time as a rookie. He's best as a 5 technique at DE, but moved inside at SJSU & got led the nation in TFLs with 22, see post on him earlier in this thread with SJSU Pro Day details.

Best bears d-line pick since Dusty Dvoracek or Mark Anderson.

parrish_lemar24DBSkins
05-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Best bears d-line pick since Dusty Dvoracek or Mark Anderson.

Gilbert should be better than those two combined in a few years, if he comes anywhere close to reaching his sky high potential.

He's the one player IMO if he can make an impact as a rookie, can make the Bears defense top 10 and championship quality in one season.

LonghornsLegend
05-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Screw you guys for taking him ONE freakin' pick before Dallas :( We should of just taken him at 51 anyway. Marcus Spears replacement next year, oh well, he should be a good one.