PDA

View Full Version : Offensive line problems... on the right side

Modano
03-06-2007, 01:37 PM
Today I've found a very good reading here

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/story/2007/3/6/10473/15890

Recently our line was spectacular and then solid on the left side and very weak on the right side. Fortunately Gurode has become a very good C to anchor the line, but that right side is still bothering us...

As you can read in the link above, the problem started when we made the bad choices in Peterman and Rogers. They were supposed to be our RG and RT of the future but they were both busts. They were two first day picks (2nd and 3rd round), and busting first day picks could kill you. Infact, because of Peterman we were forced to pick Rivera. But then he turned out to be a free agent bust. So this is the reason why we had to give Davis this big contract. It all starts with Peterman..
The same problem with Rogers. He was the guy of the future, he busted, then came Petitti and then we seemed to have finally solve our problem with Colombo, but now he wants too much money.
Now if we find a RT and Davis plays good at G we'll solve the biggest problem that has bothered this team for so long...

TNewFan41
03-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Colombo is still a FA.

D-Unit
03-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Today I've found a very good reading here

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/story/2007/3/6/10473/15890

Recently our line was spectacular and then solid on the left side and very weak on the right side. Fortunately Gurode has become a very good C to anchor the line, but that right side is still bothering us...

As you can read in the link above, the problem started when we made the bad choices in Peterman and Rogers. They were supposed to be our RG and RT of the future but they were both busts. They were two first day picks (2nd and 3rd round), and busting first day picks could kill you. Infact, because of Peterman we were forced to pick Rivera. But then he turned out to be a free agent bust. So this is the reason why we had to give Davis this big contract. It all starts with Peterman..
The same problem with Rogers. He was the guy of the future, he busted, then came Petitti and then we seemed to have finally solve our problem with Colombo, but now he wants too much money.
Now if we find a RT and Davis plays good at G we'll solve the biggest problem that has bothered this team for so long...
I understand the panic feeling from a lot of you, but the way I look at it is that we have a helluva lot of options. We have a very versatile group of linemen. Heck, even Flozell can play RT. Not saying he will or should, but he can... especially as we look into his future. Kosier and Davis can play RT. ...and dare I say it? Fabini is there at left bench.

This story is far from Columbo or bust. Would we like him back? Sure. Would we cry if he left? I hope not. Personally, I want a mauler.

As we look into the rest of FA and the draft, it seems the most logical route for us to go is through the draft. I don't foresee us signing another Guard in FA and I don't think there is anything there either... Another reason why I emphatically thought we needed to sign Davis or bust. Since we got that done, it's a lot easier to breath. Everything else is icing on top.

Macarthur
03-06-2007, 02:27 PM
I agree. While I agree with the point that our draft failures have us in the current situation, the fact is we are still in pretty good shape. I mean these signings are not going to cripple the franchise for the next 5 years.

If Columbo walks, Davis gives us great flexiblity going into the draft to take the best guard or RT available on the first day.

dc4life
03-06-2007, 03:02 PM
Honestly, i'd rather re-sign Colombo at right tackle. Davis is best at gaurd and going into the draft, we'd be looking at free safety, corner, or even WR in the first round. I'd rather get the o-line done with right now. Seriously, what if Reggie Nelson is there at 22 ? Would you be still wanting to draft a linemen? At 22 Blalock will probably be there, but doesn't he translate better to a gaurd in the NFL? I mean i'd rather not have Davis playing RT which will probably happen if we go with that scenario.

Just give Colombo his market value. Everyone else is getting paid with an inflated cap. Next year, the figures will be even higher.

D-Unit
03-06-2007, 03:19 PM
At this point I'm against drafting a RT. I think we need to draft a LT. With Flozell's contract up after next year, we need to groom a replacement. I don't believe in McQuistan. I believe in him as a back up and nothing more.

Draft a tackle, play him at RT this year, then move him to LT next year.

Ah.. I dunno... soooo many options.. will just have to see when the time arrives.

D-Unit
03-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Honestly, i'd rather re-sign Colombo at right tackle. Davis is best at gaurd and going into the draft, we'd be looking at free safety, corner, or even WR in the first round. I'd rather get the o-line done with right now. Seriously, what if Reggie Nelson is there at 22 ? Would you be still wanting to draft a linemen? At 22 Blalock will probably be there, but doesn't he translate better to a gaurd in the NFL? I mean i'd rather not have Davis playing RT which will probably happen if we go with that scenario.

Just give Colombo his market value. Everyone else is getting paid with an inflated cap. Next year, the figures will be even higher.
If we sign Columbo that would just add to our options. I'm very much in favor of doing so. I just don't know if it "has to" be done. I like management's approach on it so far. They are playing hard ball with Columbo and I like that.

Reggie Nelson at 22 is a lock. If he's not there, the OT should be addressed or OLB, depending on the availability. If Brown is there, then Brown should be the pick. Damn I wish Jake Long was in this draft!!! If Brown and Nelson are not there, it's a crap shoot between Michael Griffin and an OLB (in my own opinion).

dc4life
03-06-2007, 03:31 PM
At this point I'm against drafting a RT. I think we need to draft a LT. With Flozell's contract up after next year, we need to groom a replacement. I don't believe in McQuistan. I believe in him as a back up and nothing more.

Draft a tackle, play him at RT this year, then move him to LT next year.

Ah.. I dunno... soooo many options.. will just have to see when the time arrives.

I totally forgot about Adams being a FA next year. But even if we did do this, we'd still have to draft a RT next year lol. But yeah, there are a ton of options. I'd just try to fill as many holes as we can through free agency and the draft.

D-Unit
03-06-2007, 03:43 PM
I totally forgot about Adams being a FA next year. But even if we did do this, we'd still have to draft a RT next year lol. But yeah, there are a ton of options. I'd just try to fill as many holes as we can through free agency and the draft.
I'd rather resign Adams and move him back to RT where he started. It will probably be our #1 need next year. Whether we get him back or find one in FA or make it our #1 draft priority. This year, I don't think it's our #1 need.

dc4life
03-06-2007, 03:47 PM
I'd rather resign Adams and move him back to RT where he started. It will probably be our #1 need next year. Whether we get him back or find one in FA or make it our #1 draft priority. This year, I don't think it's our #1 need.

Well that would work out for us, but I dont think he's re-sign as RT and take a pay cut from what hes currently getting right now. Some other team will offer him more to play LT. He's not that old is he ?

TNewFan41
03-06-2007, 04:28 PM
So it looks like we are re-signing Colombo?

D-Unit
03-06-2007, 04:46 PM
So it looks like we are re-signing Colombo?
Don't say something like that without a source.

TNewFan41
03-06-2007, 05:00 PM
It was a question, lol.

Modano
03-07-2007, 12:43 AM
If Brown fall to us he would be the perfect pick.. He could play LT (as McNeil did last year) and Flozell could be moved to the right side..
Which other players could handle the LT job in your opinion?

thule
03-07-2007, 01:34 AM
If Brown fall to us he would be the perfect pick.. He could play LT (as McNeil did last year) and Flozell could be moved to the right side..
Which other players could handle the LT job in your opinion?

Ugoh and Staley obviously...but they will likely be gone by 54. I can't wait to see McQ this offseason...he has a ton of questions to answer. I agree our biggest 2008 need at this point is LT.

Just for fun...

2008 needs
LT
WR
NT
ILB
DB

Ward
03-07-2007, 08:13 AM
I just had this moment where I saw a future where Peterman and Rogers actually worked out and were solid starters... it was glorious.

thule
01-13-2009, 04:22 AM
Ugoh and Staley obviously...but they will likely be gone by 54. I can't wait to see McQ this offseason...he has a ton of questions to answer. I agree our biggest 2008 need at this point is LT.

Just for fun...

2008 needs
LT
WR
NT
ILB
DB

Holy blast from the past....figured I would dig this out...what is funny about this is 22 months later I still feel the same for the most part.

LT
NT
ILB
S

:S

shane_man
01-13-2009, 08:25 AM
Holy blast from the past....figured I would dig this out...what is funny about this is 22 months later I still feel the same for the most part.

LT
NT
ILB
S

:S

Replace WR with DE and yeah. It's almost like we went through an offseason doing very little through the draft.

thule
01-13-2009, 04:01 PM
I wouldn't say we did very little....this was one of our best drafts in recent memory....however need positions is where we went off scratching our heads.

rezryder
01-21-2009, 11:04 PM
2 years later and now its the opposite.

Right side is the strength and the left side has the problems.

MetSox17
01-23-2009, 10:46 AM
I wouldn't say we did very little....this was one of our best drafts in recent memory....however need positions is where we went off scratching our heads.

The thing with the Cowboys is that they alternate between really good drafts, and really crappy ones.

After having an amazing 05 draft, we came out and completely sucked it in 06 and 07. It's absolutely ridiculous that out of two WHOLE drafts, we do not have a single starter on this team. The only one that's close to being an impact player is Anthony Spencer, but aside from him, we have done absolutely nothing with our draft picks. It's sad, really.

Bobby Carpenter, Anthony Fasano, Jason Hatcher, Skyler Green (lololol), Pat Watkins (meh), Montavious Stanley, Pat McQuistan, E.J Whitley, James Marten, Isiah Stanback, Doug Free, Courtney Brown, Alan Ball.

The only bright spot in two drafts was Nick Folk, and Deon Anderson who's decent.

It's not that we haven't tried addressing those needs, but when we have, we've completely fallen on our faces. Ultimately, that's gonna be the downfall of this team.