PDA

View Full Version : C Samson Satele Traded to the Raiders

DJC
03-23-2009, 07:27 AM
Very good trade for the Raiders. He struggled last year in the power scheme, but he'll be a Pro Bowler now that he's back in a ZBS.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2009/03/23/fins-ship-samson-satele-to-oakland-raiders/
Center Samson Satele’s days with the Miami Dolphins are over.

The team has traded Satele, a second-round pick in 2007 who started every game the past two seasons for Miami, to the Oakland Raiders, according to two NFL sources.

No terms of the deal were available. The team recently traded a seventh round pick to Jacksonville for defensive tackle Tony McDaniel, leaving the Dolphins with eight picks during the April 25-26 draft.

diabsoule
03-23-2009, 07:42 AM
So the Raiders and Dolphins swapped Centers.

I think the Raiders got the better of the deal. Satele should be great in the Raiders system.

Thecollegedropout
03-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Wes Welker ultimately went to NE for a 6th and 7th rounder....

Oh boy.

bernbabybern820
03-23-2009, 09:01 AM
Hmm i wonder what rounder the Raiders gave up.

bsaza2358
03-23-2009, 09:07 AM
Whatever it was, they got a starting-caliber player on the cheap (likely) to replace a guy they lost in FA. Plus, they'll be able to get a compensatory pick next year for losing Grove.

HawkeyeFan
03-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Very nice pick up for Oakland, that's one step closer to fixing that horrible Offensive Line...

Marino13
03-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Satale just wasn't strong enough for Sparano's system. He's not a bad player, but for a coach that wanted a power running game, he couldn't run up the middle cause that's not Sammy's strength.

Sveen
03-23-2009, 09:57 AM
A very good move by the Raiders indeed. At least until we hear what the compensation is ;)

03-23-2009, 10:05 AM
Satale just wasn't strong enough for Sparano's system. He's not a bad player, but for a coach that wanted a power running game, he couldn't run up the middle cause that's not Sammy's strength.

Yes, he should be a perfect fit in Cable's ZBS though. I love this pickup as it gives us more flexibility early in the draft. This should allow us to possibly target an OT or NT in the second round instead now, assuming we go receiver at #7.

brat316
03-23-2009, 10:12 AM
I wonder what they gave up for him? I think its probably between a 3-5th round pick

Matthew Jones
03-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Satele sucked last year but he had promise as a rookie. He also had to go against Vince Wilfork, Marcus Stroud, and Kris Jenkins six times last year. I would trade a late-round pick for him. Jake Grove's contract makes no sense to me, on the other hand. He gets hurt every year and pulled in top dollar for a center. Makes the Rams' signing of Brown look like a total steal.

NIN1984
03-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Satele is a solid young player who fits Cable's scheme. I think since the Raiders lost Grove to the Dolphins they were probably going to target a center in the 2nd but with Satele on board we can go defensive line or draft one of the safeties, that's if we draft Crabtree or Maclin in the first of course.

CC.SD
03-23-2009, 10:17 AM

Oh boy.

That's not what happened.

Donno
03-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Great pickup that Oline is starting to look pretty solid, gives them a lot of room for the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-23-2009, 10:38 AM
From what I've read, Oakland sent a 6th rounder and swapped picks in an undisclosed round with Miami.

Hollywood
03-23-2009, 11:28 AM

Oh boy.

http://videos.onesite.com/185616/clips/x2hvdxnlb2y0mjauy29txzewmdcznznfd2hhdgnoyv90ywxraw 5fym91df93awxsaxmuzmx2xzffmtiyotezmjcwny42njk21.jp g

Guess what this guy is about to ask you...

nobodyinparticular
03-23-2009, 11:45 AM
From what I've read, Oakland sent a 6th rounder and swapped picks in an undisclosed round with Miami.

^This

Assuming the Raiders didn't fall back in the 1st-3rd rounds (Miami actually has a very low pick), I call this a VERY good trade. Satele was not worth a whole lot to the Dolphins because he would have only been a mediocre backup. However, the Raiders get a guy who has shown very good promise when in a zone blocking scheme. This is a good deal.

gdamac
03-23-2009, 11:59 AM
So the Raiders and Dolphins swapped Centers.

I think the Raiders got the better of the deal. Satele should be great in the Raiders system.

And Oakland saves a ton of money, they would have had to beat 5yrs/$29M the retain Grove's services, Satele makes $1.1M over the next 2 years and he is 4 years younger.

Where the heck is Al Davis and who is this prudent, wise man they replaced him with?

rascal
03-23-2009, 12:04 PM
It disappoints me when I see the Raiders make a good move. Fortunately I haven't been disappointed for years.

RaiderNation
03-23-2009, 12:08 PM
LT Henderson/Barnes
LG Gallery
C Satele
RG Carlisle/McQuinsten
RT Barnes/Pears

Good young oline right there. All we need is a #1 WR and Id say sit and wait for this offence to explode.

nobodyinparticular
03-23-2009, 12:17 PM
I haven't seen the Raider make a bad move this offseason (the worst I thought was losing Grove to the Dolphins). In fact, I've seen a bunch of really smart moves so far. I like this.

JoeyJr09
03-23-2009, 12:24 PM
LT Henderson/Barnes
LG Gallery
C Satele
RG Carlisle/McQuinsten
RT Barnes/Pears

Good young oline right there. All we need is a #1 WR and Id say sit and wait for this offence to explode.

Henderson has been questioned by many around the league that dont think he can stick at LT. Gallery was a tremendous bust that isnt worth what hes making even if he is a solid LG. Satele is a guy that just got traded by one of the best OL mindsin the business for a low pick. Even if a scheme that better fits his skills, hes no lock to revert his rookie year form where he wasnt much more then "pretty good" anyways. Carlisle is just a guy. Barnes is on a one year deal with a histroy of off the field problems and zero pass protection skills.

Lets be honest, the oakland OL is far from good. Young, talented and full of potential? yes. But way to many questions marks that need to be anwsered before it i considered good.

Menardo75
03-23-2009, 12:29 PM
I thought I would never see the day. The Raiders adressing their needs wow.

NIN1984
03-23-2009, 12:36 PM
The Raiders offensive line wasn't as bad as some people think. Harris and Green both offensive tackles were the big problem so replacing them with Henderson and Barnes will be an upgrade and now adding Satele who is perfect for the zone-blocking scheme to replace Grove was a smart move, he is pretty much a younger Grove but he can actually stay healthy.

LT - Henderson or Barnes
LG - Gallery
C - Satele
RG - Carlisle
RT - Henderson or Barnes

Tom Cable has done nice a job with the O-line, before he took over it was train wreck.

BigTron
03-23-2009, 01:04 PM
I think this is a great trade for the Raiders and helps both teams. Oakland now has a decent body at C so its not a glaring void. This guy can at least provide depth at C and G. If the Dolphins wanted a power blocker than shipping the ZBS guy was a good move.

Seeing how the Raiders starting C was John Wade and Satele was a former 2nd round pick this seem's like a smart idea. A 6th rounder would likely bring less to the table. Hopefully the pick switch isnt in the 1st 3 rounds.

Quagmire
03-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Henderson has been questioned by many around the league that dont think he can stick at LT. Gallery was a tremendous bust that isnt worth what hes making even if he is a solid LG. Satele is a guy that just got traded by one of the best OL mindsin the business for a low pick. Even if a scheme that better fits his skills, hes no lock to revert his rookie year form where he wasnt much more then "pretty good" anyways. Carlisle is just a guy. Barnes is on a one year deal with a histroy of off the field problems and zero pass protection skills.

Lets be honest, the oakland OL is far from good. Young, talented and full of potential? yes. But way to many questions marks that need to be anwsered before it i considered good.

Joe,
Before the season on the Miami board, you basically said Satele was on his way to a bunch of pro bowls. Amazing how your opinion changed to say that he was only "pretty good" in his rookie yr....
The deal was pretty good for both teams, the Raiders get a cheap, starting C who fits their scheme and don't give up a lot. Miami gets to move way up in rd 4 and gets a 6 to fill out their draft in the only rd where they had no pick.

locseti
03-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Sounds like Cable has some pull down in Alameda, first Barnes and now this. This really gives us some flexibility in the draft, now it's time to shore up that D. Excellent move, thank you Al!

Paranoidmoonduck
03-23-2009, 02:24 PM
I like this move for Oakland. It's somewhat troubling to hear that Satele isn't particularly stout, because that was the same issue that plagued Grove for quite a few years, and it hurt the offensive line. With Michalczik coming in from Cal-Berkeley as offensive line coach, it seems likely that the team will move in a little more of a power-scheme direction which utilizes the same cutback lanes that can lead to big yardage in a zone-blocking scheme (and are Darren McFadden's best shot at becoming an big play threat in the NFL).

Every team in the AFC West besides Oakland is going to be running a 34 defense at least part of the time next season. San Diego already has one of the best nosetackles in the NFL and both Kansas City and Denver are looking to find one for themselves.

I think this is probably Oakland's contingency plan if they can't get Alex Mack (who they seem to be angling fairly hard for). You know that Michalczik would be pushing for Mack and that Cable is more than familiar with him, but it looks like Oakland would have to move up from the #40 pick to make that happen (or move back from #7, but that would be much more difficult).

Overall, this was a good move. Losing a 6th and moving back in the 4th is more than acceptable.

locseti
03-23-2009, 02:38 PM
I like this move for Oakland. It's somewhat troubling to hear that Satele isn't particularly stout, because that was the same issue that plagued Grove for quite a few years, and it hurt the offensive line. With Michalczik coming in from Cal-Berkeley as offensive line coach, it seems likely that the team will move in a little more of a power-scheme direction which utilizes the same cutback lanes that can lead to big yardage in a zone-blocking scheme (and are Darren McFadden's best shot at becoming an big play threat in the NFL).

Every team in the AFC West besides Oakland is going to be running a 34 defense at least part of the time next season. San Diego already has one of the best nosetackles in the NFL and both Kansas City and Denver are looking to find one for themselves.

I think this is probably Oakland's contingency plan if they can't get Alex Mack (who they seem to be angling fairly hard for). You know that Michalczik would be pushing for Mack and that Cable is more than familiar with him, but it looks like Oakland would have to move up from the #40 pick to make that happen (or move back from #7, but that would be much more difficult).

Overall, this was a good move. Losing a 6th and moving back in the 4th is more than acceptable.

Satele is 6-4, 300 lbs. I like him because he's got a nasty demeanor, something I hope will rub off on the rest of the line. He can also play guard if need be. What I think is that Al was not open to drafting a center that high and this was the compromise, a very good one indeed.

D-Unit
03-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Satele is 6-4, 300 lbs. I like him because he's got a nasty demeanor, something I hope will rub off on the rest of the line. He can also play guard if need be. What I think is that Al was not open to drafting a center that high and this was the compromise, a very good one indeed.
Sampson doesn't have a nasty demeanor though. He's the nicest guy you'd ever meet. Even on the field, he's more a skilled technician than a nasty mauler.

I'm happy for him in this new opportunity though. His agent said he's really excited about it to and that the Raiders are already going to look to him for leadership.

03-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Al must be convinced then that Alex Mack is no longer the second coming of Jim Otto. Actually, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Raiders still move up for Mack or take Unger for the versatility he could provide to a line with its question marks even following some much needed upgrades this offseason. I like that Satele could shift over to guard if need be.

Menardo75
03-23-2009, 02:48 PM
This might be the first time in an off-season that we don't look at the Raiders and go WTF!?

03-23-2009, 02:52 PM
This might be the first time in an off-season that we don't look at the Raiders and go WTF!?

The man at least partly behind all this.

http://www.raiders.com/uploadedImages/Newsroom/Articles/093008cable1.jpg

<3

:D

Young Legend
03-23-2009, 02:56 PM
The man at least partly behind all this.

http://www.raiders.com/uploadedImages/Newsroom/Articles/093008cable1.jpg

<3

:D

is it me or does he look like john goodman?

RaiderNation
03-23-2009, 03:02 PM
We should go WR, DT and DE in the first 3 picks in any order. Then go Oline the rest of the draft

Hollywoods_Finest
03-23-2009, 03:56 PM

That was actually my thought the first time I saw the dude :D

Stash
03-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Very nice trade for us (it feels weird saying that). It's funny because I always wished we had this guy on our team, and now we do.

Burger
03-23-2009, 07:51 PM
Dolphins have alot of options to draft at center. Smart year to trade Samson, but for a not so smart player. I say Oakland wins the deal.

fischbowl
03-23-2009, 07:55 PM
Satele is a future star at centre and Grove has been inconsistent to say the least. They got a much better center basically only for a 6th.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-23-2009, 08:03 PM
I'm all for the idea of Satele being a future great player at center, but there's no question who was the better center last year. The games Grove had against Jamal Williams and Kris Jenkins were tremendous. As long as he stays healthy, he has a bright future.

gameplaya2435
03-23-2009, 08:08 PM

It can only mean one thing....Al Davis is dead. RIP, Al.

RaiderNation
03-23-2009, 08:47 PM
It can only mean one thing....Al Davis is dead. RIP, Al.
Or he is letting Cable take control

LonghornsLegend
03-23-2009, 08:50 PM
Great move for Oakland, they got a guy who was a 2nd rounder in 2007, rarely injured and a great fit for a ZBS for only a 6th, and moving down in the 4th...That's well worth the risk.

Caddy
03-24-2009, 12:45 AM
I think for the draft picks that they have had to give up, this is definitely a good move for the Raiders.

gdamac
03-24-2009, 01:22 AM

He actually looks like a cable guy, but John Madden looked like a plumber so who knows?

gdamac
03-24-2009, 01:23 AM
We should go WR, DT and DE in the first 3 picks in any order. Then go Oline the rest of the draft

safety be nice

bigbluedefense
03-24-2009, 09:06 AM
Great pickup for the Raiders. Satele will thrive in a ZBS.

nobodyinparticular
03-24-2009, 11:25 AM

The difference between the AFC West and AFC East 3-4 teams is that there is only one good NT in the AFC (and he's really getting old) while there are 2 very good NTs in the East (Wilfork and Jenkins). I would say that it is debatable whether Williams is on the same level as Wilfork and Jenkins last year. The other two teams in the AFCW are undersized and really have very crappy defensive lines. They may upgrade in the future, but for this year (even considering the draft), I don't think Satele has to worry about the Broncos or Chiefs.

BigTron
03-24-2009, 01:01 PM
The difference between the AFC West and AFC East 3-4 teams is that there is only one good NT in the AFC (and he's really getting old) while there are 2 very good NTs in the East (Wilfork and Jenkins). I would say that it is debatable whether Williams is on the same level as Wilfork and Jenkins last year. The other two teams in the AFCW are undersized and really have very crappy defensive lines. They may upgrade in the future, but for this year (even considering the draft), I don't think Satele has to worry about the Broncos or Chiefs.

Dont forget Marcus Stroud.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Dont forget Marcus Stroud.

He's not a NT or in a 3-4...

You're right, of course, but assuming we're looking past this year, having at the very least 6 games a year against 3-4 teams makes our center position that much more crucial. I'm glad Satele is on the team, but a big part of me still wants Oakland to pursue Alex Mack and shift Satele to RG to replace Carlisle.

BigTron
03-25-2009, 06:33 PM
True. But Stroud is a beast in that division he had to deal with.