PDA

View Full Version : Say hello to the new coach of. . .

tjsunstein
03-23-2009, 06:33 PM
A little league T-Ball team. It's going to be a joke and I realize this but any have any suggestions? What exactly am I suppose to do in coaching these kids? They're 5 and 6 years old so about 16% of what I say, they'll actually do and .01% they'll remember.

CashmoneyDrew
03-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Just make sure that they have fun and build a foundation for them to pursue it further if they really like it.

dabears10
03-23-2009, 06:35 PM
Teach them all how to throw a knuckle ball

Dr. Gonzo
03-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Just make sure they don't throw the bat when it is their turn to eat. If you teach them that they will have a great time.

PackerLegend
03-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Just make sure that they have fun and build a foundation for them to pursue it further if they really like it.

Exactly its a T-ball team so just try and make it as fun as possible for them.

Hollywood
03-23-2009, 06:42 PM
**** this fun ****. I say you go in as a hard ass and ride those 5 year olds to T-Ball glory! Teach them the lesson that winning is everything in life, get up in their faces, scream, cuss, hit them (lightly) if you have to, but DO not let them embarrass you by losing.

The_Dude
03-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Make sure that you have a lot of booze at home to deal with the stress of hanging out with 5 years olds...

Good Luck!

WMD
03-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Be prepared to get physically attacked by their parents because their son isn't playing enough.

Hawk
03-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Hello new coach of a little league T ball team!

D-Unit
03-23-2009, 06:45 PM
My sons just finished their T-ball season last Saturday. You don't know what you've gotten yourself into. lol.

Have patience. Help them understand how to play the game. Don't expect them to know how the game is played or what the terms are. A lot of them don't know what direction to run, where to stop, when to run, what to do with the ball or even how to score. It's so funny. The coach told my son to run home! run home! ... He comes to us sitting on the side and says, "It's time to go home dad. Coach said go home.". LOL.

Fun is the #1 objective, imo. Finer skills will be taught later. If they enjoy the sport, they will continue to want to learn more.

WMD
03-23-2009, 06:47 PM
My sons just finished their T-ball season last Saturday. You don't know what you've gotten yourself into. lol.

Have patience. Help them understand how to play the game. Don't expect them to know how the game is played or what the terms are. A lot of them don't know what direction to run, where to stop, when to run, what to do with the ball or even how to score. It's so funny. The coach told my son to run home! run home! ... He comes to us sitting on the side and says, "It's time to go home dad. Coach said go home.". LOL.

Fun is the #1 objective, imo. Finer skills will be taught later. If they enjoy the sport, they will continue to want to learn more.
You do realize if you recorded it, that video would get millions of hits on the YouTube?? It would be huge, especially if we heard you say "LOL" in the background.. You're missing out on internet fame!

Hollywood
03-23-2009, 06:48 PM
This coach should be your inspiration:

6s23JTmfJOY

PackerLegend
03-23-2009, 06:49 PM
**** this fun ****. I say you go in as a hard ass and ride those 5 year olds to T-Ball glory! Teach them the lesson that winning is everything in life, get up in their faces, scream, cuss, hit them (lightly) if you have to, but DO not let them embarrass you by losing.

This man speaks the truth. **** my stupid *** fun crap. Make sure you pump these kids up with roids. Tell them its secret bug spray and that way bugs wont bite them and ruin their chance at a championship because some ****ing bug distracted them.

Also teach them to play dirty it is the key to success.

tjsunstein
03-23-2009, 06:50 PM
What do I do if a kid cries? haha I just dont want angry parents is all. The kid that Im like coaching because of is one of my best friends brothers step son and he's 5.

Hollywood
03-23-2009, 06:50 PM
What do I do if a kid cries?.

Tell him there is no crying in baseball...

fenikz
03-23-2009, 06:51 PM
http://koti.phnet.fi/jukhai/Dystopia/pedobear05.jpg

vikes_28
03-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Yelling is appropriate. But don't every be physical with them. Then they will do the opposite of what you tell them. If they aren't getting it, then just let them have fun. You can only control so much of them.

Hollywood
03-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Yelling is appropriate. But don't every be physical with them. Then they will do the opposite of what you tell them. If they aren't getting it, then just let them have fun. You can only control so much of them.

haha This post is funny because I think you are actually being serious.

pierce2walker
03-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Listen to Fred McGriff...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_JlrN8f-HDhk/SHwsrhcyyxI/AAAAAAAAAjI/jxYESf44hbQ/s320/emanski_mcgriff.jpg

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/Tom-Emanski.jpg

Tom Emanski's defensive drills video...

BACK TO BACK TO BACK AAU national championships

yo123
03-23-2009, 07:04 PM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_JlrN8f-HDhk/SHwsrhcyyxI/AAAAAAAAAjI/jxYESf44hbQ/s320/emanski_mcgriff.jpg

Are those commercials still on? Those kids looked like they were having no fun whatsoever.

tjsunstein
03-23-2009, 07:05 PM
Tell him there is no crying in baseball...

Can't believe I didn't think of that. +rep to you

someone447
03-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Just make sure they enjoy coming to practice. If they have fun when they come to practice, they will listen to you.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-23-2009, 07:10 PM
Tell them this is Little League Baseball. Anything less then kicking the ******* **** out of the other team is a massive failure. Do not be afraid to hit the children.

skinzzfan25
03-23-2009, 07:22 PM

If it's good enough for the Crime Dog, it's damn good enough for a 5 year old.

CJSchneider
03-23-2009, 07:26 PM
This coach should be your inspiration:

6s23JTmfJOY

Keep it real coach. That's what's up baby!

But getting back to T-ball, I have coached my kids for years.

Kids rule #1: you have to listen to coach
Kids rule #2: you have to be a good teammate, no laughing or calling names
kids rule #3: You have to be careful. Throw only when you make eye contact. Look behind you before you swing the bat.

As far as practice goes, make it 30 minutes long (their attention span wont let you do much more)
Have fun with goofy warm-up stretching, playing catch, fielding practice. Get them in the habit of stopping the ball and throwing it to 1st base.

*Warning - your entire team will consist of six year old middle-linebackers. They will want to all go after a ball hit to the 2nd baseman and stop at nothing to get it.

Get the parents to come on to the field with them and help hold their attention while in the field and have "Base- Parents" when up to bat. If you want, you can do like I did and get a scrap piece of rug and paint two bugs on it where they are to put their feet when hitting. Set it next to the T and tell them to squash the bugs. They love it and it teaches them how to square themselves to the plate.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
03-23-2009, 07:47 PM
If the ump makes a bad call, you know what to do...

Malaka
03-23-2009, 07:59 PM

http://www.westernstageprops.com/miva/graphics/00000001/pm56lr.jpg

gameplaya2435
03-23-2009, 08:33 PM
I can't believe someone as unqualified as you got the job at something so important as coach of a T-ball team.

One piece of advice for you: make sure they know the ****** no fun ******** ************* ***** T-ball rules. When I started playing T-ball, I stole 2nd Base because I saw MLB players do it on TV. I was severely confused when they told me I wasn't allowed to and had to go back to 1st.

OSUGiants17
03-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Keep it real coach. That's what's up baby!

But getting back to T-ball, I have coached my kids for years.

Kids rule #1: you have to listen to coach
Kids rule #2: you have to be a good teammate, no laughing or calling names
kids rule #3: You have to be careful. Throw only when you make eye contact. Look behind you before you swing the bat.

As far as practice goes, make it 30 minutes long (their attention span wont let you do much more)
Have fun with goofy warm-up stretching, playing catch, fielding practice. Get them in the habit of stopping the ball and throwing it to 1st base.

*Warning - your entire team will consist of six year old middle-linebackers. They will want to all go after a ball hit to the 2nd baseman and stop at nothing to get it.

Get the parents to come on to the field with them and help hold their attention while in the field and have "Base- Parents" when up to bat. If you want, you can do like I did and get a scrap piece of rug and paint two bugs on it where they are to put their feet when hitting. Set it next to the T and tell them to squash the bugs. They love it and it teaches them how to square themselves to the plate.
I was just about to say that ;)

Brent
03-23-2009, 09:38 PM
eeots8bj2gU

remember to always say "he fell down"

tjsunstein
03-24-2009, 01:00 PM
I can't believe someone as unqualified as you got the job at something so important as coach of a T-ball team.

haha I'm not sure if you're being serious or not but how qualified do you have to be? I played at that little league for 6 years and my mom was very involved with snack bar while my dad coached my team.

iowatreat54
03-24-2009, 01:04 PM
I'm going to be very disappointed if you don't

A. run out and argue with an ump over a called strike when a kid swings and misses

and/or

B. in protest, pick up a base and throw it/throw a bag of bats onto the field

JT Jag
03-24-2009, 01:16 PM
Defense is the most important thing at that level. Make sure that each player is given an established position based on their abilities, and make sure that they know what their responsibilities are.

MetSox17
03-24-2009, 01:46 PM
Don't let the parents tell you what to do. Seriously. I've coached pony baseball and pop warner football, and EVERY dad out there thinks he knows that running his kid to the right side will make him better.

Don't take tips from parents, tell them you know what you're doing and that you're gonna make this fun for the kids and get everyone involved. The minute you take one of their suggestions, they'll ride your ass all season long.

CJSchneider
03-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Defense is the most important thing at that level. Make sure that each player is given an established position based on their abilities, and make sure that they know what their responsibilities are.

At 6 years old, oh wait, I get it, you're being sarcastic - oh that's good.

Don't let the parents tell you what to do. Seriously. I've coached pony baseball and pop warner football, and EVERY dad out there thinks he knows that running his kid to the right side will make him better.

Don't take tips from parents, tell them you know what you're doing and that you're gonna make this fun for the kids and get everyone involved. The minute you take one of their suggestions, they'll ride your ass all season long.

As far as parents go, once you show them you have genuine concern for the kids, at that level, they really don't bother you too much. If anything, get them involved. Make a rotation to where every parent brings snacks to a game. Have a "Bench Mom or Dad" set by the kids and keep them from playing and throwing dirt and that kind of crap. Have "Base coaches" at every base and let parents help.

princefielder28
03-24-2009, 02:32 PM
Tell them to buy cups

Never too early to protect the junk

someone447
03-24-2009, 03:22 PM
On a more serious note, you should probably rotate positions every inning. My mom was my coach during coach pitch(I was a prodigy, I skipped tball.) She just made sure to teach us the basic and would make sure everyone played every position over the course of 2-3 games. I was the best player on the team, and the coaches son, but I sat out at least an inning every game, I also play right field for an inning every other game, along with everyone else on the team.

I can thank the rotating positions for allowing me to be able to play any position I was needed at once I got a little older. The players on the teams my mom coached seemed to grow into better players(and more of them stuck with it) than the players on the other teams.

Just make it fun, and let all the kids play all the different positions.

brat316
03-24-2009, 03:46 PM
beat them silly....occasionally

derza222
03-24-2009, 05:26 PM

I actually know a guy that knocked out an up once...

On a more serious note, you should probably rotate positions every inning. My mom was my coach during coach pitch(I was a prodigy, I skipped tball.) She just made sure to teach us the basic and would make sure everyone played every position over the course of 2-3 games. I was the best player on the team, and the coaches son, but I sat out at least an inning every game, I also play right field for an inning every other game, along with everyone else on the team.

I can thank the rotating positions for allowing me to be able to play any position I was needed at once I got a little older. The players on the teams my mom coached seemed to grow into better players(and more of them stuck with it) than the players on the other teams.

Just make it fun, and let all the kids play all the different positions.

Yeah rotating positions is definitely a good call. Teaches kids what they're good at early on if you want to do that, but also allows them to be a little more versatile as you said. They can focus on specific positions later on if need be. Make sure you're not too serious about it in all honestly, even at higher levels the cooler coaches that focused on fundamentals but weren't real hardasses seemed to get the job done the best.

Focus on teaching them the game, because at that point that's what it's all about. Winning is nice, but only if you've made the kids better as a function of your coaching. Strategic crap doesn't really mean much IMO like setting up the batting order or fielding, it should be about improving the skill-level of your team and as a winning because of it. Fielding practice you should probably focus on ground balls since most kids at that level won't catch or hit a fly ball anyway, and do some basic fundamentals of hitting. Step or no step, pivoting the back foot, possibly loading up before the swing, all of that good stuff. Wouldn't get too complicated with all of the fundamentals of the swing though.

Finally, make sure they have fun. They'll play better and learn to enjoy the game, plus they'll look forward to it more.

The_Dude
03-24-2009, 05:41 PM
This makes me think of my all-time favorite The Onion headline:

"Special Olympics T-Ball Tee Pitches Perfect Game"

Does your tball league even have wins & losses? Some leagues don't. It is supposed to help build self-esteem, but that's really just bull****. Kids always know who wins and who loses.

someone447
03-24-2009, 08:42 PM
This makes me think of my all-time favorite The Onion headline:

"Special Olympics T-Ball Tee Pitches Perfect Game"

Does your tball league even have wins & losses? Some leagues don't. It is supposed to help build self-esteem, but that's really just bull****. Kids always know who wins and who loses.

My first year playing didn't keep track of wins and losses, but everyone I played with knew the standings of every team in the league.

This is just part of the pussification of America, but I won't get into that.

CJSchneider
03-24-2009, 09:02 PM
(I was a prodigy, I skipped tball.)

I just LOL'd.

Seriously though, and I speak as a college graduate in the area of Health and Human Performance, at 6 you will not be able to spot which one is going to be a (name a position) any better then you will be able to tell which one is going to grow up lonely eating cherrios while wearing his mom's clothes and wearing her make up. Rotating or not, fine. As it was pointed out, some leauges don't even keep score, use ups or record outs. The point is to get the kids interested and expose them to the basics.

The_Dude
03-24-2009, 09:04 PM
There is actually a youth "league" in northern MN (i think) called the "Miracle League". Every kid gets to bat every inning, no one gets out, and no one keeps score/wins or loses.

"its the end of the world as we know it...."

bored of education
03-24-2009, 09:06 PM
don't diddle the lil ones then you will be cool

good luck

someone447
03-24-2009, 09:08 PM
don't diddle the lil ones then you will be cool

good luck

He is a Tball coach, not a Catholic Priest.

CJSchneider
03-24-2009, 09:09 PM
It could be a church league.

bored of education

where do you think all the Catholic Priests have gone?

Dr. Gonzo

Have you ever seen a Tball coach show a kid how to 'swing'. They get all up in there and start grinding. BOE has a point.

CJSchneider
03-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Have you ever seen a Tball coach show a kid how to 'swing'. They get all up in there and start grinding. BOE has a point.

Read my other post, this is why I made the cute rug.

Dr. Gonzo
03-24-2009, 09:14 PM
Read my other post, this is why I made the cute rug.

Haha. I read your post yesterday and you have your **** together. One day I would like to coach TBall and I will for sure be using some of your suggestions. I had my dad coach me in sports most of my live so I am used to making fun of coaches and refer to them as pedorasts.

tjsunstein
03-24-2009, 09:15 PM
haha wow

I like the bug squashing idea for the stance a lot. I'm using it. Should I credit you on it when asked? haha

CJSchneider
03-24-2009, 09:17 PM
haha wow

I like the bug squashing idea for the stance a lot. I'm using it. Should I credit you on it when asked? haha

Yeah, for 15 bucks, I'll even throw in an instructional DVD.

someone447
03-24-2009, 09:18 PM

Don't, it is only bound to fail. Nothing you could do could possibly outdo Tom Emanski.

someone447
03-24-2009, 09:20 PM
where do you think all the Catholic Priests have gone?

Touche....

tjsunstein
03-24-2009, 09:24 PM

I would need to see a trailer of some sort... How many AAU championships have you won or are you Fred McGriff?