NY+Giants=NYG
03-23-2009, 11:17 PM
2009 Compensatory Draft Picks
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/23/2009-compensatory-draft-picks/

The compensatory picks are in

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-6-490/The-compensatory-picks-are-in.html

ThePudge
03-23-2009, 11:20 PM
Cincinnati with a 3rd, 6th, and two 7th's. Huge.

BlindSite
03-23-2009, 11:20 PM
Let me get this straight, new england now has
1 first rounder
3 2nd rounders
3 3rd rounders?

NY+Giants=NYG
03-23-2009, 11:22 PM
1 first rounder
3 2nd rounders
3 3rd rounders?

I believe so.. That's how you build a team I guess. Stock pile picks year after and year.

Mr. Stiller
03-23-2009, 11:46 PM
HAHAHA Steelers Got Hosed.

If Only an All-Pro LG and 2nd Highest Contract winner with a Pro-bowl showing deserved more than a 5th.

If only Alan Faneca was as good a guard as Gibril Wilson, Bernard Berrian... heck Odom, Florence even Jake Scott (Another guard that IIRC didn't have post season Honors)..

3rd Round Comp (in order):
New England - Asante Samuel
Cincinnati - Justin Smith
Chicago - Bernard Berrian
New York Giants - Gibril Wilson

4th Round Comp (in order):
San Diego - Michael Turner
San Diego - Drayton Florence
Tennessee - Antwan Odom
Indianapolis - Jake Scott

5th Round Comp (in order)
Pittsburgh - Alan Faneca
New England - Donte Stallworth
San Francisco - Kwame Harris
Dallas - Jacques Reeves
Tennessee - Travis LaBoy

Brodeur
03-23-2009, 11:59 PM
Oh come on Kansas City gets the last pick instead of Detroit? Assholes.

CC.SD
03-24-2009, 12:10 AM
Travesty, Michael Turner doesn't warrant a 3rd?

Mr. Stiller
03-24-2009, 12:20 AM

Turner and Faneca warrant a 3rd moreso than Smith, Wilson or for gods sake berrian.

Number 10
03-24-2009, 08:04 AM
Giants get 5 top 100 picks.

Just doesn't seem fair.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-24-2009, 08:13 AM
Giants get 5 top 100 picks.

Just doesn't seem fair.

If I was an owner I'd hire a brain trust to crack the damn comp pick formula and then stick to it.

T-RICH49
03-24-2009, 09:18 AM
hooray for Mr Irrelavent

NY+Giants=NYG
03-24-2009, 09:20 AM

Who else did Atlanta sign and lose during FA?

bigbluedefense
03-24-2009, 09:25 AM
Giants nab a 3rd rounder. Me likes.

Just gives us added incentive to be aggressive in this draft.

JRTPlaya21
03-24-2009, 09:32 AM
Skins with a 7th. Woot woot. Think this threads in the 09 draft forum too.

Splat
03-24-2009, 09:36 AM
hooray for Mr Irrelavent

JOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FlyingElvis
03-24-2009, 09:38 AM
1 first rounder
3 2nd rounders
3 3rd rounders?

Maybe I missed something (a trade or 2 from years past?) but as far as I know N.E. only has one pick in the 3rd - now 2 w/the addition of the comp pick.

Still, 6 picks in the top 100. Pretty exciting, right? :D

coordinator0
03-24-2009, 09:39 AM
No picks for Baltimore... Come on Darling, you should of done better in KC lol.

bigbluedefense
03-24-2009, 09:43 AM
The Pats are gonna have some firepower to shore up that defense. They need pass rushers in the worst way, and a whole new secondary outside of Merriweather.

They could use a future LT too.

The thing is, don't expect all those rookies to make an impact right away. Bellichick hates playing rookies.

FlyingElvis
03-24-2009, 09:49 AM
There is no position that needs an immediate starter. Plenty that could use an upgrade, but any draftee will have time to develop.

Wheatley & Wilhite came along ok before Wheatley's injury. With Hobbs, Springs & Bodden NE has 5 average or better CBs. The secondary is not that big a need . . . S would be nice, though.

bigbluedefense
03-24-2009, 09:56 AM
There is no position that needs an immediate starter. Plenty that could use an upgrade, but any draftee will have time to develop.

Wheatley & Wilhite came along ok before Wheatley's injury. With Hobbs, Springs & Bodden NE has 5 average or better CBs. The secondary is not that big a need . . . S would be nice, though.

i thought CB was a big weakness for you guys last year. although the lack of pass rush probably had a lot to do with it.

from your post, im guessing youre high on Crable and don't view pass rusher as a big need?

i see pass rusher followed by CB as your biggest needs as an outsider to the team.

Bigburt63
03-24-2009, 09:59 AM

I still think we need a safety pretty bad, but ya, CB would be more of a developmental pick at this point (barring the inevitable injuries one or more of our CB's always suffer).

Bigburt63
03-24-2009, 10:01 AM
i thought CB was a big weakness for you guys last year. although the lack of pass rush probably had a lot to do with it.

from your post, im guessing youre high on Crable and don't view pass rusher as a big need?

i see pass rusher followed by CB as your biggest needs as an outsider to the team.

Tully-Banta Cain, Crable, Thomas (although he could move inside), Vince Redd, and Pierre Woods are all outside already. I am not a big fan of TBC, but Thomas is a beast off the edge (was until he got hurt), and I really like Crable, who is just as much of an unknown as any rookie we were to draft. An upgrade could definitely be used though, I agree.

bigbluedefense
03-24-2009, 10:09 AM
Tully-Banta Cain, Crable, Thomas (although he could move inside), Vince Redd, and Pierre Woods are all outside already. I am not a big fan of TBC, but Thomas is a beast off the edge (was until he got hurt), and I really like Crable, who is just as much of an unknown as any rookie we were to draft. An upgrade could definitely be used though, I agree.

what about this talk about a safety? no faith in merriweather? i liked him a lot coming out.

i thought sanders was solid too.

coordinator0
03-24-2009, 10:13 AM
what about this talk about a safety? no faith in merriweather? i liked him a lot coming out.

I think they mean that they need a compliment to Meriweather. Probably a SS.

Bigburt63
03-24-2009, 10:56 AM

I think they mean that they need a compliment to Meriweather. Probably a SS.

Ya, Meriweather is gonna be a stud, he improved dramatically last year and was our best DB. Sanders is ok, better served as a backup, situational guy.

Meriweather can play FS or SS, so I would be open to drafting any safety, but I would prefer to have Meriweather at FS.

FlyingElvis
03-24-2009, 12:16 PM

OLB (pass rusher) and S are the two biggest needs. Merriweather is a stud and Sanders is ok. I agree w/BigBurt - Merriweather at FS and say . . . William Moore at SS . . . :D

Last year the CB spot was the biggest weakness, but with 2 draft picks last year that both ended up injured coming back this year + the addition of Springs & Bodden that should be a strength now. If nothing else it buys NE a season to let Wilhite & Wheatley develop further while hoping Bodden returns to his prior form.

CB is debatable. I don't think it should be a priority in this draft, but there is not a consensus on that among NE fans. Overall the Pats really have the ability to pick any position if they like the player @ a given value. Which is why it's so exciting this year.

Until draft day when they pass on guys I want and pick someone else. ;)

Don Vito
03-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Thats huge for the Pats, we need some youth and talent at a lot of positions and we are in good shape with all these picks.

bigbluedefense
03-24-2009, 12:30 PM
it must be frustrating in a way being a Pats fan and a draftnik. bc you have all these players in mind, and the Pats almost never take them. they always do their own thing on draft day and take people you would never expect.

it works though, so more power to em.

Don Vito
03-24-2009, 12:37 PM
it must be frustrating in a way being a Pats fan and a draftnik. bc you have all these players in mind, and the Pats almost never take them. they always do their own thing on draft day and take people you would never expect.

it works though, so more power to em.

Yeah, it is really hard to determine who we are going to take so I just hope for the best and trust the staff. Taking Mankins at 32 a few years back was a big "wtf?" pick but it turned out very well to say the least. I could see it happening again this year, we have obvious holes at multiple positions on defense but we could very well take a lineman in the first round. Last year I was actually suprised when we picked Mayo because it was a huge need but we usually never take true MLBs, all of our starters have usually been converted DEs. I was thrilled when we took him and he has been a stud.

FlyingElvis
03-24-2009, 12:40 PM
It can be frustrating. My Michigan homerism made it tough when NE didn't take Woodley.

But I learned early in the BB era that they know what they're doing. The year they took Seymour I was really hoping the pick would be David Terrell. ;)

Geo
03-24-2009, 02:24 PM
If I was an owner I'd hire a brain trust to crack the damn comp pick formula and then stick to it.
No brain trust needed. Let your free agents get paid somewhere else, and either re-sign your own guys or sign FAs on the cheap as you continue to build through the Draft.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-24-2009, 02:30 PM
No brain trust needed. Let your free agents get paid somewhere else, and either re-sign your own guys or sign FAs on the cheap as you continue to build through the Draft.

Well yeah that's obvious but I am talking about specific #s, so that you can better manipulate it all. So what I'd do is sign certain FAs, or offer them a fair contract. If they leave, build through the draft, get comp picks, each year, and basically keep very little players, because I know I will get those picks back in terms of comp picks.

But the issue is what level or round comp pick do I get? So that part factoring PT, salary, and playoff experience all gets added. So that part I would want my people to crack.

Geo
03-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Well, the biggest factor is one you can't really control: the average salary your departed player gets in signing his new contract with a different team.

Sure you can control it in the sense that you don't re-sign a marquee player, ex. the Colts with Edgerrin James in '06, the Pats with Asante Samuel in '08.

Average salary is by far the biggest factor, games played/started and success on the field are a distant second and third which can bump a player up or down a few spots.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Well, the biggest factor is one you can't really control: the average salary your departed player gets in signing his new contract with a different team.

Sure you can control it in the sense that you don't re-sign a marquee player, ex. the Colts with Edgerrin James in '06, the Pats with Asante Samuel in '08.

Average salary is by far the biggest factor, games played/started and success on the field are a distant second and third which can bump a player up or down a few spots.

That's true, but I guess one can guess the best course of action is let your 3rd and 2nd tier players go. And if it comes down to first tier players, superstars, it's up to you, because if you do let them go, they will get a big contract somewhere else, and thus that can help. But I see what you're saying.

JonasBlane
03-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Is change in team record a part of the comp pick equation? That's the only explanation I can think of for why the Steelers only got a 5th for Faneca. Without Faneca the Steelers went from a Wild Card loss to a SB win. Doesn't make sense for the Bears though, as they also got better without Berrian, but he earned a 3rd. I've never really paid attention to comp picks before, so I am stumped.

Mr. Stiller
03-24-2009, 03:50 PM

If those are the factors can you please explain Faneca garnering a 5th meanwhile having the 2nd highest avg contract payout, Jets nearly grabbing a playoff spot, his RB leading the AFC in Rushing IIRC, Post season Honors?

and how a guy, for example, Jake Scott Warrants a 4th round comp when he didn't manage near that?