PDA

View Full Version : Riddle

derza222
03-24-2009, 12:19 AM
Alright guys, this riddle's driving me nuts, and I can't really find an answer anywhere. Supposedly everything comes together, and this is the riddle verbatim so the different language and whatnot is significant. Any thoughts?

The riddle is:

A man had a dollar. He spent 80 cents for a drum and 10 cents for 2 drumsticks. He gave a streetcar driver a dime to drive him 13 blocks. On the tenth block they kicked him out. Why?

Hint: I tell you the answer every time I say the riddle.

EDIT: Supposedly it's from like WW2 times, so wouldn't have anything contemporary in it.

iowatreat54
03-24-2009, 12:21 AM
He was playing the drum?

dabears10
03-24-2009, 12:21 AM
Alright guys, this riddle's driving me nuts, and I can't really find an answer anywhere. Supposedly everything comes together, and this is the riddle verbatim so the different language and whatnot is significant. Any thoughts?

The riddle is:

A man had a dollar. He spent 80 cents for a drum and 10 cents for 2 drumsticks. He gave a streetcar driver a dime to drive him 13 blocks. On the tenth block they kicked him out. Why?

He played his drum and the other people on the streetcar are the ones who kicked him off of it.

derza222
03-24-2009, 12:23 AM
He was playing the drum?

He played his drum and the other people on the streetcar are the ones who kicked him off of it.

I thought of that, and it's gotta be too simple. Supposedly the whole thing comes together...

iowatreat54
03-24-2009, 12:25 AM
I thought of that, and it's gotta be too simple. Supposedly the whole thing comes together...

Well it does say 'they kicked him off', so obviously the passengers of the street car kicked him off. I would think it has to do with his drum, either him playing or it taking up room or something.

Paul
03-24-2009, 12:28 AM
Alright this riddle is ******* with me.

derza222
03-24-2009, 12:30 AM
Lots of things I don't get given it all comes together. Why does he give the driver a dime and not ten cents like the earlier things? Why does he want to go 13 blocks, and get kicked out after 10? What's the significance of the "they"? And wtf does the hint have to do with everything?

Strongside
03-24-2009, 12:30 AM

The riddle is:

Maybe "drum" means a drum of whiskey and the "drumsticks" mean chicken drumsticks.

No food or booze on the bus.

srs

Paul
03-24-2009, 12:31 AM
10 cents for 2 drumsticks

For each or both? I doubt it's even relevant, but still.

derza222
03-24-2009, 12:31 AM
Maybe "drum" means a drum of whiskey and the "drumsticks" mean chicken drumsticks.

No food or booze on the bus.

srs

Thought of that one too, but why after 10 blocks?

derza222
03-24-2009, 12:32 AM
For each or both? I doubt it's even relevant, but still.

I wondered the same thing, but if it's 10 cents for each then how does he get the dime to the driver?

Thumper
03-24-2009, 12:33 AM
because it is a penny a block and he didn't have anymore money to go 3 more blocks?

I think it has to do with money.

derza222
03-24-2009, 12:34 AM
because it is a penny a block and he didn't have anymore money to go 3 more blocks?

I think it has to do with money.

But he gave him a dime to drive him 13 blocks, so it seems that they agreed that was the fare for that particular distance... I definitely think the money comes into play though.

Im_a_Romosexual
03-24-2009, 12:44 AM
he has 1 dollar

$.10 per block

after 10 kicked blocks he's kicked out

bantx
03-24-2009, 12:46 AM
I regret opening this thread.

steelersfan43
03-24-2009, 12:46 AM
The bus was 3 blocks long and he was at the back?

Paul
03-24-2009, 12:47 AM
he has 1 dollar

$.10 per block

after 10 kicked blocks he's kicked out

I don't think it's that obvious. Plus the Hint:

I tell you the answer every time I say the riddle.

Doesn't really work there.

I really didn't need this before I go to bed.

derza222
03-24-2009, 12:48 AM
The bus was 3 blocks long and he was at the back?

But then why'd he get kicked out, what's everything else have to do with it, and what about the hint at the end?

I wish my friend hadn't told me this f'n riddle.

steelersfan43
03-24-2009, 12:50 AM
Does your friend know the answer?

I wont sleep thinking about this.

iowatreat54
03-24-2009, 12:50 AM
Because he told everyone on the street car this riddle.

Paul
03-24-2009, 12:51 AM
Google and Yahoo suck.

derza222
03-24-2009, 12:52 AM
Does your friend know the answer?

I wont sleep thinking about this.

Nope. I'm having the same issue...

I'm beginning to wonder if there actually is a solution. Hopefully I can convince myself there isn't, given nobody seems to be able to figure it out.

EDIT:

Two things I think are pretty important. Who is the other person in the "they", and could the "him" that gets kicked out of the car be the driver? It seems to be implied it's the man with the drums, but does it necessarily have to be?

dabears10
03-24-2009, 01:02 AM
He blocked 10 people with his drum. After he blocked the 10th person he was kicked out?

Strongside
03-24-2009, 01:02 AM
Why did he give the streetcar driver a dime? You don't pay the driver.

derza222
03-24-2009, 01:06 AM
He blocked 10 people with his drum. After he blocked the 10th person he was kicked out?

Blocks definitely might have a dual meaning in the riddle. If we can maybe expand on that...

Why did he give the streetcar driver a dime? You don't pay the driver.

Perhaps...maybe it fills out some from there?

bantx
03-24-2009, 01:16 AM
"During World War II some old horse cars were temporarily returned to service to help conserve fuel. A mule-powered line in Celaya, Mexico, operated until 1956. Horse-drawn trams still operate as a tourist attraction along the promenade in Douglas, Isle of Man." from wiki

MY guess is he was playing the drums while in the streetcar and startled the horses getting him kicked out.

**** this riddle -_-

Paul
03-24-2009, 01:18 AM
"During World War II some old horse cars were temporarily returned to service to help conserve fuel. A mule-powered line in Celaya, Mexico, operated until 1956. Horse-drawn trams still operate as a tourist attraction along the promenade in Douglas, Isle of Man." from wiki

MY guess is he was playing the drums while in the streetcar and startled the horses getting him kicked out.

**** this riddle -_-

That is what we call a reach.

steelersfan43
03-24-2009, 01:27 AM
I think the guy is right about him blocking 10 people from getting on.

Hollywood
03-24-2009, 01:57 AM
There are three solutions to this riddle:

1. Your friend is ******* with you and giving you a riddle that has no answer.
2. You are ******* with us and giving us a riddle that has no answer.
3. You are dumb and therefore telling it wrong even though you will say 'No I'm not!'

Pick any one of those answers and this thread still fails.

yourfavestoner
03-24-2009, 02:01 AM
**** you, Derza. You're an asshole.

The Unseen
03-24-2009, 07:21 AM
A man had a dollar.

Job
03-24-2009, 07:32 AM
He farted.

derza222
03-24-2009, 08:35 AM
There are three solutions to this riddle:

1. Your friend is ******* with you and giving you a riddle that has no answer.
2. You are ******* with us and giving us a riddle that has no answer.
3. You are dumb and therefore telling it wrong even though you will say 'No I'm not!'

Pick any one of those answers and this thread still fails.

1. He doesn't know it, so maybe but he wouldn't know so he's not ******* with me.
2. I wish.
3. I honestly copied and pasted the riddle from the place he originally found it, so if it's wrong then it's that guys fault. I really wouldn't know.

Still think it's possible there's no solution though.

CashmoneyDrew
03-24-2009, 11:51 AM
This could just be another one of those riddles that gets passed around on the Internet with something important left out so it's unsolvable. There's been others like that. But the thing that seemed to stick out to me for some reason was the 10 cents per/for two drum sticks thing.

StripedWalrus
03-24-2009, 01:33 PM
The man is in Australia and he has a dollar...he buys his drum and drumsticks...and the cashier gives him change...but accidentally gives him a dime (American or Canadian currency). You can commonly jump onto a streetcar and not be noticed if there is a crowd. Well this particular person rode for 10 Blocks and the crowd started to disperse and he was noticed by the driver. When confronted by the driver the Hero of our story says "No prob mate, here's 10 cents. Can you take me just 3 more blocks?" The Driver replies, "whats this!" "You havnt any money". Our baffled Hero looks down to see he was given an American Dime! He is then kicked off the streetcar.

iowatreat54
03-24-2009, 01:44 PM
The man is in Australia and he has a dollar...he buys his drum and drumsticks...and the cashier gives him change...but accidentally gives him a dime (American or Canadian currency). You can commonly jump onto a streetcar and not be noticed if there is a crowd. Well this particular person rode for 10 Blocks and the crowd started to disperse and he was noticed by the driver. When confronted by the driver the Hero of our story says "No prob mate, here's 10 cents. Can you take me just 3 more blocks?" The Driver replies, "whats this!" "You havnt any money". Our baffled Hero looks down to see he was given an American Dime! He is then kicked off the streetcar.

Only problem is that at the time this "story" took place, the dime was prolly worth considerably more than 10 Australian cents, and the driver would be an idiot to refuse an American dime for a 10 cent ride.

I did enjoy the story though, especially the Australian lingo. Rep for you.

Rjspartan
03-24-2009, 01:49 PM
i hate riddles
and i hate this one the most of all

CJSchneider
03-24-2009, 02:22 PM

Awsome, I was gonna lose sleep on this one.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
03-24-2009, 03:45 PM
How the **** did you think of that? Or Find the answer?

Todd Bertuzzi
03-24-2009, 04:36 PM
I think he was kicked out because it costs 1 cent per block and so since he only paid a dime he was kicked out after 10 blocks. The drum is just there to throw you off.

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-24-2009, 04:46 PM
I think he was kicked out because it costs 1 cent per block and so since he only paid a dime he was kicked out after 10 blocks. The drum is just there to throw you off.

yeah, thats exactly what I thought. Word for word lol. I literally got a headache from this damn riddle. Can we get an official answer to this?

Hollywood
03-24-2009, 04:50 PM
What's pissing me off even more than the stupid riddle is the stupid answers. The answer to a riddle is supposed to make sense, make everyone and you say "OH YEA! OF COURSE!". You can't just make **** up like 'oh I think it's only 1 cent a block' to assist your wrong answer.

/end unnecessary rant.

derza222
03-24-2009, 04:51 PM

I dunno a friend gave it to me, no idea on the answer.

yeah, thats exactly what I thought. Word for word lol. I literally got a headache from this damn riddle. Can we get an official answer to this?

It's supposed to all tie in though, so I have no idea. And no clue on the official answer either, I posted it here to see if anybody could work it out. Apparently I'm not the only one that struggles with it.

StripedWalrus
03-24-2009, 04:57 PM

The have been thinking on this riddle all day since I woke up and read it.

There are a few others answers I also came upon though I highly doubt they could be the answers to it. In all likelihood that isnt the answer either...but it works as the Australians do indeed have a "dollar" and use "cents" as well. My first conclusion was I could use Canada...because of course Canadians use the dollar, but they also use the dime.

I then did some research on dimes themselves. I thought knew that Dimes pre 1946...I think 46...did not have FDR on them. They are generally called "Mercury" dimes pre date '46 because of the "heads" side that resembles the Roman God Mercury or Greek god Hermes. Still though, I believe they are relatively similar in size and weight so I dont think they would really matter.

Then a came to the Australian Conclusion.

Also Streetcars used to be very easily to hijack. Always a good example was the Uptan Sinclair Novel "The Jungle" I believe there is is mention in that novel about the children or at least adults jumping on streetcars without paying...Honestly though I think that the fair was 25 cents and that would predate this riddle...so maybe that is another conclusion. Simply a dime would not be enough to ride the streetcar. Also I think there was a scene in the movie Gangs of New York where Leo DiCaprio jumps on a streetcar without paying....I may be wrong there....

Anyway here were some other possibilities that ran through my mind.

1. The Portland Street car system runs on a 10 block system. Maybe he lives in Portland.

2. This one is a little racey....but it very well could be a possibility. This was pre 1960's and this gentlemen that has bought a drum and drum stick could be African American. At block number 10...a large number of "whites" get on the streetcar and force him off.

3. The WWII got me on this one. This is probably the least likely answer of them all and it uses a large amount of symbolism (I suppose).

Anyway. The man in this story is Jewish. He buys this Drum and drum sticks...which have nothing really to do with this story except that he is left with his "last dime". He then gets on this Streetcar (or possibly train) and gives his "last dime" to the Driver...who in this scenario is symbolized as a Nazi German. He is then taken to "Block Ten" where he is kicked out. Block Ten was a cellblock at the Auschwitz Concentration camp where alot of medical experiments were taken place.

4. I also did some mathematical things with the routes but nothing really didnt work....I will try to draw a quick diagram with some ASCII to try and describe.

___
l
l
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___

Ok I know that looks bad but it is supposed to represent him going left one block then south on block and then Right 11 Blocks which would take him to the 10th block.

5. Lastly I read partially something on this one. Another Forum gave me the idea that Block 10 was a place. So maybe he is a drummer in a band playing at the 10th Block or something...

Well 1-4 were my own ideas and so was the Australian Idea. Seriously though with the way the riddle is set up I am not sure there actually is an answer. Maybe it is just one of those things that are supposed to make you think and come up with your own conclusion.

Hollywood
03-24-2009, 05:05 PM
lololololololol that is sublimely funny! Just to expound...the post above me is without a doubt one of the funniest things I've ever read on a message board because I can't tell if he is serious or not and works on so many levels.

HE DREW A PICTURE!

AND HE DID MATH!

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-24-2009, 05:08 PM
edit - Nevermind. God this thing is killing me. Someone has to have an answer!!

StripedWalrus
03-24-2009, 05:09 PM
I do want to clarify # 2 just a little more. Basically it is following many laws that 'whites" had preferential treatment in these situations. If there was no seat for a "white" person on a bus, train, streetcar, etc...then the minority that is on the public transport would removed....

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-24-2009, 07:39 PM
I think its time to just say there isn't an answer to this. Someone said earlier that it might be one of those things that go around the internet via email and something might have gotten left out, that has gotta be the case for this.

SFbear
03-24-2009, 08:49 PM
I don't think he could have snuck onto the street car since "He gave a streetcar driver a dime to drive him 13 blocks".

'cuse-213
03-24-2009, 09:09 PM
3. The WWII got me on this one. This is probably the least likely answer of them all and it uses a large amount of symbolism (I suppose).

Anyway. The man in this story is Jewish. He buys this Drum and drum sticks...which have nothing really to do with this story except that he is left with his "last dime". He then gets on this Streetcar (or possibly train) and gives his "last dime" to the Driver...who in this scenario is symbolized as a Nazi German. He is then taken to "Block Ten" where he is kicked out. Block Ten was a cellblock at the Auschwitz Concentration camp where alot of medical experiments were taken place.

Thats pretty interesting.

Todd Bertuzzi
03-24-2009, 10:57 PM

Why does it say 10 cents and then a dime later? And also it says he gave a streetcar driver a dime to drive him, but then they kicked him out. It also never specifies who is getting driven and who is getting kicked out because it just says him. This thing is driving me crazy.

And this part is throwing me off too.I tell you the answer every time I say the riddle. Does that refer to the whole thing or just the phrase the riddle?

derza222
03-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Why does it say 10 cents and then a dime later? And also it says he gave a streetcar driver a dime to drive him, but then they kicked him out. It also never specifies who is getting driven and who is getting kicked out because it just says him. This thing is driving me crazy.

And this part is throwing me off too.I tell you the answer every time I say the riddle. Does that refer to the whole thing or just the phrase the riddle?

All of that stuff has been throwing me for a loop. I'm starting to agree with a lot of the other guys, there may just be no solution to this riddle.

StripedWalrus
03-24-2009, 11:36 PM

Maybe it has to do with "The Riddle Song"

You know

I gave my love a cherry that had no stone...I gave my love a chicken that had no bone...

Maybe He gave us a Riddle with no answer.

BlindSite
03-25-2009, 04:19 AM
The riddle is:

Streetcars used to run on tracks and when they reached the end of the line they'd usually reverse and go the other way.

If There's 12 stops on the line and jumps on a station 1 then he travels
2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-11-10

So he travels thirteen blocks, but gets off at block/stop number 10.

CJSchneider
03-25-2009, 05:38 AM
Maybe it has to do with "The Riddle Song"

You know

I gave my love a cherry that had no stone...I gave my love a chicken that had no bone...

Maybe He gave us a Riddle with no answer.

-Destroys SW's guitar against the wall of the SWDC's frat house wall-

"Sorry"

vikes_28
03-25-2009, 08:39 AM
I was up til 4 in the morning thinking about that. Thanks a lot ******.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
03-25-2009, 09:00 AM
I am seriously considering locking this thread to save the rest of the forum that hasn't read it.

someone447
03-25-2009, 09:38 AM
I am seriously considering locking this thread to save the rest of the forum that hasn't read it.

I've just decided that StripedWalrus has already figured it out. I'm going with the Jewish one. Overly complex answers to riddles are awesome, especially if they require more than cursory knowledge of history.

Hollywood
03-25-2009, 12:24 PM

I vote yay on the lock. This riddle has no answer, he is punking us.

CJSchneider
03-25-2009, 01:21 PM
No, I say Walrus nailed it - but I'm all for the lock.

StripedWalrus
03-25-2009, 01:30 PM
Streetcars used to run on tracks and when they reached the end of the line they'd usually reverse and go the other way.

If There's 12 stops on the line and jumps on a station 1 then he travels
2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-11-10

So he travels thirteen blocks, but gets off at block/stop number 10.

That doesnt account for the travel from point 1 to point 2...which makes it 14 blocks instead of 13.

-Destroys SW's guitar against the wall of the SWDC's frat house wall-

"Sorry"

Funny thing is when I was typing it...that is exactly what I was thinking of!

derza222
03-25-2009, 01:36 PM
I've got no issue with the lock, I feel bad for starting this thread without knowing the answer but I was hoping for some assistance...definitely got some good answers though.

iowatreat54
03-25-2009, 01:37 PM
No, I say Walrus nailed it - but I'm all for the lock.

I really liked Walrus's response, it took a lot of thought, but I can't accept it based on common sense. I know there is a difference in currency, but at the time, a US dime was more than likely worth a lot more than an Australian dime. The driver would be a fool not to accept it, and then exchange it for more than 10 cents in Australian currency. Now, I know it may not be worth all that trouble, but that alone makes me refute that answer, even if it's something close to the real one (if there is a real answer).

CJSchneider
03-25-2009, 02:11 PM
The driver would be a fool not to accept it, and then exchange it for more than 10 cents in Australian currency.

I think you are reading to much into it. The driver would not accept it because it was not the appropriate form of currency.

iowatreat54
03-25-2009, 02:16 PM
I think you are reading to much into it. The driver would not accept it because it was not the appropriate form of currency.

I understand. But in reality, he would have been stupid not to.

Like I said, the correct answer could be something to do with the wrong form of currency, but if it was a US dime instead of most any other currency in the world, at that time, then I can't accept it as a legit answer.

Hollywood
03-25-2009, 02:45 PM

You guys are purposely trying to piss me off, huh? Walrus didn't nail it, you can't just add info/make **** up for a riddle to fit your answer like oh he's Australian! Says who??? Also, the man accepted the dime as the fare, so that doesn't work anyways.

Todd Bertuzzi
03-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Derza you must torture your friend until he tells you the answer.

Mr. Hero
03-25-2009, 02:53 PM

something like this should work...http://www.248am.com/images/ichi.jpg

brat316
03-25-2009, 02:56 PM
WTF does this even mean

someone447
03-25-2009, 03:01 PM
You guys are purposely trying to piss me off, huh? Walrus didn't nail it, you can't just add info/make **** up for a riddle to fit your answer like oh he's Australian! Says who??? Also, the man accepted the dime as the fare, so that doesn't work anyways.

His Jewish one nailed it. It is an incredibly convoluted answer that fits the riddle.

Paul
03-25-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm not buying Walrus' answer either. Answers to riddles are never that convoluted.

someone447
03-25-2009, 03:10 PM
I'm not buying Walrus' answer either. Answers to riddles are never that convoluted.

But thats what makes the answers so awesome. Not to mention, since I consider the riddle solved, I don't have to worry about solving it anymore.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
03-25-2009, 03:13 PM
If they had have said "at" the tenth block, I'd buy Walrus' answer. But it's "on." Also they KICKED him out. Doesn't sound like they stopped at the end of the line in Auschwitz or w/e.

derza222
03-25-2009, 03:21 PM

I would but he doesn't know the answer either, just told me it to help him figure it out just like I posted it here to try and get some help figuring it out...

brat316
03-25-2009, 03:25 PM
did he get it from another forum, I googled it and only one other forum had it.

Something about dead relatives passing it on since WWII. Only one person knows at a time.

Also whats some WWII slang for dime?

brat316
03-25-2009, 03:29 PM
because he gave a 1940 or 1930 dime, instead of the newly printed dimes.

DJC
03-25-2009, 03:30 PM
derza, you're GONYK on RealGM?

And yeah, this riddle is a ***** and a half. The 'hint' and the whole 'you'll know when you got it right because it all comes together when you figure it out thing' is throwing me off.

Xonraider
03-25-2009, 03:30 PM
I say lets all rep rape Derza!

brat316
03-25-2009, 03:31 PM
I say lets all rep rape Derza!

agree i can do that now.

derza222
03-25-2009, 03:31 PM
derza, you're GONYK on RealGM?

And yeah, this riddle is a ***** and a half. The 'hint' and the whole 'you'll know when you got it right because it all comes together when you figure it out thing' is throwing me off.

Nah that's just the only other place I could find the riddle online.

DJC
03-25-2009, 03:33 PM
O ok. I was just wondering because I read this a few days ago and even thought about posting it here. I've pretty much given up on solving it by now.

brat316
03-25-2009, 03:40 PM
They kicked him out because he was spending money. WWII everything was limited and this guy goes around buying stuff.

Or he is a drummer boy for the war