PDA

View Full Version : Traveler's Thread

aNYtitan
03-25-2009, 06:17 PM
I have been searching on this board for anything related to travel, and since we have so many members from various places, I was figuring that this would be a good thread to create.

It's for people who are either a) traveling to another city and want to know what there is to do, eat and see there or b) intending or wanting to go to another city and want to know what to do, eat and see there.

I'm starting this thread up because I'm traveling to Philadelphia with a friend of mine and want to know what there is to do and see around there. Also, what are the best places to eat (I don't even want to consider eating at a franchise joint).

If this has already been posted, can someone just refer me to the appropriate thread or board.

P-L
03-25-2009, 07:32 PM
There is probably about a 50/50 chance that I'm moving to Roanoke, Virginia this fall. I've never been there (it's a long story) so I am curious as to what it's like.

tjsunstein
03-25-2009, 07:32 PM
Well I know Philadelphia, what do you wanna know? Also, how old are you?

skinzzfan25
03-25-2009, 07:39 PM
Going down to Palm Beach, FL this spring break with my family. Anything to recommended?

tjsunstein
03-25-2009, 07:39 PM
I'll add in some place I've been recently.

University of Delaware - I visited a friend there a couple nights ago. Great time, very easy to meet people even at 3 in the morning. Everyone is very open and outgoing and willing to invite you back to hang out in the dorms. I would recommend stopping at the DP Doughs as your drunk food place though. Be prepared to walk a lot though.

West Virginia University - Great, Great, Great place. 18 to enter a lot of the places, I recommend Shooters or Cabanas and if you're 21 go to The Lizard. If you go to a club where its 18 to enter and you're not 21, it wont matter. At Cabana, they have shot girls. Beware of them because those shots are about half alcohol at best but theyre only a buck. Best food there is either Rusty Musket or the oh so popular, (down there) Casa pizza.

Indianapolis, IN - Went there for school, kind of. It was me and a friend. Very businesslike town. Don't expect there to be a lot to do but do check out the mall. Steak and Shake is your best bet for late late night grub other than Houlihans. Wouldn't recommend unless you're there on business.

tjsunstein
03-25-2009, 07:42 PM
Ok. So what? I've been to a few college towns.

University of Maryland - Fake ID central. I used a buddys fake Id that didnt even look like me and it worked. I liked it a lot there at Thirsty Turtle but not much of a dance floor. I suggest bringing some girls you know or the chances of you hooking up are slim. Girls down there play hard to get. The Chinese food across the street is only 9 bucks for a take home box and you serve yourself. People go crazy.

aNYtitan
03-25-2009, 07:44 PM
Well I know Philadelphia, what do you wanna know? Also, how old are you?
Well both me and my friend are 20, so we wanted to know places to hangout, clubs, hotspots, etc. I also really don't know anyone that goes to college down there, except for someone who is a 45 minute train ride away, so thats a nogo. Also, good eats (I already know about Pat's and Gino's those spots are going to get visited)

I'll add in some place I've been recently.
West Virginia University - Great, Great, Great place. 18 to enter a lot of the places, I recommend Shooters or Cabanas and if you're 21 go to The Lizard. If you go to a club where its 18 to enter and you're not 21, it wont matter. At Cabana, they have shot girls. Beware of them because those shots are about half alcohol at best but theyre only a buck. Best food there is either Rusty Musket or the oh so popular, (down there) Casa pizza.

Seems like WVU is the place to visit

Kase1
03-25-2009, 07:46 PM
Lived in Pittsburgh for a year and its a GREAT and let me repeat GREAT drinking city. Its dirt cheap to drink anywhere, the locals are ridiculously friendly and loved my THICK NY Accent..... Late night grub has one of the BEST spots in the world at Primanti's sweet sandwiches with cole slaw and fries on em.... IF youre in the burgh you GOTTA go there

Kase1
03-25-2009, 07:47 PM
Im from NYC (BK) and we could have a whole thread dedicated on where 2 go in NYC

Xonraider
03-25-2009, 07:52 PM
I'm looking at universities, preferably those that offer marketing and advertising mayors... And preferably some that only require like 2 or 3 at most science courses throughout high school (I only took 4)

JETS5128
03-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Well both me and my friend are 20, so we wanted to know places to hangout, clubs, hotspots, etc. I also really don't know anyone that goes to college down there, except for someone who is a 45 minute train ride away, so thats a nogo. Also, good eats (I already know about Pat's and Gino's those spots are going to get visited)

Tony Luke's and Jon's Roast Pork are as good as it gets for eats, plus they're within 10 minutes of each other.

brat316
03-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Philadelphia is really a 21+ city. If your 21 or got a fake well you will have an awesome time bar hoping, and eating on south street. Rittenhouse square, Washington Park, center city are great places to walk around at night.

As far as colleges go, either there are club parties or house parties that you might have trouble finding. You'll need tokens or car to travel from college to college. Temple is an place to find college house parties, just be careful when leaving at night. You might have to walk around the neighborhoods to find parties, you'll see a line or a guy holding a bunch of red cups at the door that when you know you found a place.

West Philadelphia or University City is a great place to be if you don't want to worry about getting robbed, as much. UPenn frat house=mansions compared to rest of college frat houses.

Also to get to spots to eat you'll need a car.

skinzzfan25
03-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Ok. So what? I've been to a few college towns.

University of Maryland - Fake ID central. I used a buddys fake Id that didnt even look like me and it worked. I liked it a lot there at Thirsty Turtle but not much of a dance floor. I suggest bringing some girls you know or the chances of you hooking up are slim. Girls down there play hard to get. The Chinese food across the street is only 9 bucks for a take home box and you serve yourself. People go crazy.

I can co-sign all over this.

Once my friends' brother got stamped at the Thirsty Turtle he passed his ID back and we used it to get in (and I'm a senior in high school LOL). Don't try to play that stuff in DC/Adams Morgan though, they'll get the cops on you. Actually, hopefully, I'm going down to CP this weekend.

tjsunstein
03-25-2009, 08:14 PM

Seems like WVU is the place to visit

Are you visiting anyone? Philly is a city where you need to be 21 to have a good time at night. Go to Byrnes Tavern, get the wings and a hot roast beef. Its in Port Richmond. You need a car to get around that far though or be sure to have a lot of cash for cabs. South Street has a lot of live rock bands play on weekends and stuff if youre into that.

brat316
03-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Are you visiting anyone? Philly is a city where you need to be 21 to have a good time at night. Go to Byrnes Tavern, get the wings and a hot roast beef. Its in Port Richmond. You need a car to get around that far though or be sure to have a lot of cash for cabs. South Street has a lot of live rock bands play on weekends and stuff if youre into that.

Also you can go to Show N Tell ahaah

aNYtitan
03-25-2009, 09:02 PM

That sucks, their is no 18 to party places? Well, I'm sure there has to be places to go, the college hoping sounds like a fun idea

steelersfan43
03-25-2009, 09:10 PM

me too

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/648/cosine.jpg

The Dynasty
03-25-2009, 09:14 PM
In the past years I have been to New York City, Cleveland, Washington DC, and Minneapolis and Tuscaloosa, AL. So I know some things about those areas but not a lot.

ccB
03-25-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm going on a cruise to the Bahamas and Turks and caicos this summer, first time I will every leave the country I'm pretty excited about that.

Xonraider
03-25-2009, 09:54 PM
I'm going on a cruise to the Bahamas and Turks and caicos this summer, first time I will every leave the country I'm pretty excited about that.

If the time is right, cruises are filled with horny chicks. Even when they're not they're pretty cool, I've been on 3... They're very cool... you're going to have a blast.

brat316
03-25-2009, 10:00 PM
If the time is right, cruises are filled with horny chicks. Even when they're not they're pretty cool, I've been on 3... They're very cool... you're going to have a blast.

I went on Carnival cruise sometime end of July to second week of August. I didn't see horny chicks. Cruise it self wasn't as fun as I thought, but that is because I went with my parents at the time I was 15 or 16. I am probably gonna go again this time with my friends and on a better boat, i'm see whats on the boat first.

Bahamas was fun riding them jet skis and just traveling around, snorkeling and ****.

brat316
03-25-2009, 10:02 PM
That sucks, their is no 18 to party places? Well, I'm sure there has to be places to go, the college hoping sounds like a fun idea

Grimy clubs you will need a car, though there are a few you can use subway for. Fake ID is always good to have.

Rob S
03-25-2009, 10:08 PM
I have been all over (all 50 states, canada, mexico, most of western europe, india) so if anyone has any specific questions feel free to IM me because I think limiting it to a post or whatever is going to be tough.

kwilk103
03-25-2009, 10:09 PM

pretty much right on

never buy a tube from the shot girls; waste of a dollar

Xonraider
03-25-2009, 10:18 PM
I went on Carnival cruise sometime end of July to second week of August. I didn't see horny chicks. Cruise it self wasn't as fun as I thought, but that is because I went with my parents at the time I was 15 or 16. I am probably gonna go again this time with my friends and on a better boat, i'm see whats on the boat first.

Bahamas was fun riding them jet skis and just traveling around, snorkeling and ****.

Then you got bad luck. I went once when I was 14 and it was full of horny american chicks... and they seemed attracted to a latin american ;)

aNYtitan
03-25-2009, 11:27 PM
Grimy clubs you will need a car, though there are a few you can use subway for. Fake ID is always good to have.

LOL I was seriously thinking about it, but I'm 6 months away from turning 21 so I was like its a waste. What sucks is that my older brother looks very much like me, but he is almost twice my age, so I think that the bouncers would look at this ID then look at me and be like, yeah ok this guy is 38

fischbowl
03-25-2009, 11:45 PM
I'm living in NY now and trying to find some spots of my own. Big town for a Buffalo kid. I created a travel help thread about a year ago before I went to Minnesota but that's no doubt long gone. Probably going to Indianapolis on business this year.

BuckTown, what are some decent but cheaper areas in Brooklyn to live in?

BigDawg819
03-26-2009, 09:32 AM

Definitely stay hydrated properly when enjoying the cruise. Last year my sis and her fiancee went and got a little banged up without staying hydrated, the next day was rough they said. Other then that they said it was a blast and be careful when in port cities.

skinzzfan25
03-26-2009, 02:02 PM
I'm living in NY now and trying to find some spots of my own. Big town for a Buffalo kid. I created a travel help thread about a year ago before I went to Minnesota but that's no doubt long gone. Probably going to Indianapolis on business this year.

BuckTown, what are some decent but cheaper areas in Brooklyn to live in?

From personal experience Bedford/Greenpoint were pretty cool sections of BK, if you don't mind hipsters. Really convenient to Manhattan too.

BuckTown should know better though.

Eaglez.Fan
03-26-2009, 02:28 PM
Just got back yesterday from London, Paris and Barcelona. All were amazing cities.

tjsunstein
03-26-2009, 02:35 PM
pretty much right on

never buy a tube from the shot girls; waste of a dollar

I bought about 10. Silly me, tricks are for kids.

awfullyquiet
03-26-2009, 02:37 PM
From personal experience Bedford/Greenpoint were pretty cool sections of BK, if you don't mind hipsters. Really convenient to Manhattan too.

BuckTown should know better though.

there's actually cheap places to live in new york?
really?

when i do go to new york. it's for alley cat races. which is much fun.

dv-ISen-UTQ

something like that.

Rob S
03-26-2009, 02:50 PM
No real cheap place anywhere AQ. However, Greenpoint is pretty cool to hangout in......cheap compared to Manhattan, but the crowd is artsy/hipster so if thats not your thing you can look elsewhere.

brat316
03-26-2009, 03:19 PM
really?

dv-ISen-UTQ

something like that.

see this is why I hate people who ride bikes. I'm fine with them riding it and weaving in and out of grid lock traffic. But not stopping at the damn lights, or clipping people who walk on sidewalk or while crossing the street pisses me off. If I were one of those people who got clipped by the biker I would tackle that mother ******, then stomp his ass, and then continue walking.

Kase1
03-26-2009, 03:40 PM
F' hipsters, we beat them up on a slow weekend, LOL

Check out South Park Slope, Bay Ridge, Fort Greene, Midwood, Clinton Hill, and nowadays Bed Stuy is slowly getting Gentrified as well as Bushwick so check em all out though, theyre close 2 the trains and manhattan

Avoid Greenpoint, the trains there SUUUUUUCCCCKKKKK!!!!!!!

Rob S
03-26-2009, 03:43 PM

Check out South Park Slope, Bay Ridge, Fort Greene, Midwood, Clinton Hill, and nowadays Bed Stuy is slowly getting Gentrified as well as Bushwick so check em all out though, theyre close 2 the trains and manhattan

the f'ing G

tjsunstein
03-26-2009, 03:45 PM
see this is why I hate people who ride bikes. I'm fine with them riding it and weaving in and out of grid lock traffic. But not stopping at the damn lights, or clipping people who walk on sidewalk or while crossing the street pisses me off. If I were one of those people who got clipped by the biker I would tackle that mother ******, then stomp his ass, and then continue walking.

For some strange reason, I don't think you would. Just saying.

brat316
03-26-2009, 03:47 PM
For some strange reason, I don't think you would. Just saying.

ahha I wouldn't...but i would think about it hard.

Kase1
03-26-2009, 03:54 PM
the f'ing G

UGH the G makes me wanna blow my brains out, I lived in Sunset Park and would take the G to get to my aunts in Red Hook (biggest pain in the wahzoo EVER)

The G is HANDS DOWN the worst line EVER!!

kwilk103
03-26-2009, 04:06 PM
I bought about 10. Silly me, tricks are for kids.

i bought one and was like wtf is this? kool-aid?

Hollywood
03-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Philadelphia is really a 21+ city. If your 21 or got a fake well you will have an awesome time bar hoping, and eating on south street. Rittenhouse square, Washington Park, center city are great places to walk around at night.

As far as colleges go, either there are club parties or house parties that you might have trouble finding. You'll need tokens or car to travel from college to college. Temple is an place to find college house parties, just be careful when leaving at night. You might have to walk around the neighborhoods to find parties, you'll see a line or a guy holding a bunch of red cups at the door that when you know you found a place.

West Philadelphia or University City is a great place to be if you don't want to worry about getting robbed, as much. UPenn frat house=mansions compared to rest of college frat houses.

Also to get to spots to eat you'll need a car.

Make sure you go to Paddy's Pub while in Philly. Just follow the bums.

brat316
03-26-2009, 04:16 PM
Make sure you go to Paddy's Pub while in Philly. Just follow the bums.

ahhaha and the Green Guy

awfullyquiet
03-26-2009, 05:54 PM

why not stopping at lights? are you not paying attention while driving?

i don't think anyone gets clipped by bikers... but then again, no one pays attention to anything when they're on their cell phone.

that said. i'm hijacking the thread a little with this...

http://www.laurenjo.com/articles/chicago_12_5_01.shtml

brat316
03-26-2009, 07:16 PM
why not stopping at lights? are you not paying attention while driving?

i don't think anyone gets clipped by bikers... but then again, no one pays attention to anything when they're on their cell phone.

that said. i'm hijacking the thread a little with this...

http://www.laurenjo.com/articles/chicago_12_5_01.shtml

yes, but if they are going to ride with traffic they should stop at the red lights.

skinzzfan25
03-26-2009, 07:22 PM
yes, but if they are going to ride with traffic they should stop at the red lights.

Exactly. If they want to be treated like traffic then bicyclist should abide by at least the most basic traffic laws.

brat316
03-26-2009, 07:22 PM
It never says how he got hit?

Well this was a case of revenge, i agree man was a murder.

themaninblack
03-26-2009, 08:33 PM
really?

dv-ISen-UTQ

something like that.

great song in that video anyway.

fischbowl
03-26-2009, 09:17 PM

I've been looking for a single in Bay Ridge and in the Heights. The Heights are expensive as **** but I love the area. Maybe in the future. I need something closer to Manhattan and preferrably closer to the A, C, E lines, I think I may take them down into Brooklyn and see where I end up. Fort Greene seems to be in the perfect spot.

I don't mind the hipster crowd. Thanks for the advice, gentlemen

Matthew Jones
03-26-2009, 09:34 PM
How do people like West Coast places? Specifically Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, etc.? I was thinking about bringing nothing with me except a small bag of essential stuff and trying to make it from Seattle down through California.

As far as where I've been...a lot of African, Asian, and European countries. Lived in Zambia, Indonesia, Singapore, Hong Kong. Cities I can remember living in are D.C., Raleigh, Tampa, Arlington, near Chicago, Rochester, Boston area.

Donno
03-26-2009, 09:35 PM

Once my friends' brother got stamped at the Thirsty Turtle he passed his ID back and we used it to get in (and I'm a senior in high school LOL). Don't try to play that stuff in DC/Adams Morgan though, they'll get the cops on you. Actually, hopefully, I'm going down to CP this weekend.

Haha I almost tryed at Murphy's pub on St. Patty's day when I went there on vacation this year.

fischbowl
03-26-2009, 09:37 PM
How do people like West Coast places? Specifically Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, etc.? I was thinking about bringing nothing with me except a small bag of essential stuff and trying to make it from Seattle down through California.

As far as where I've been...a lot of African, Asian, and European countries. Lived in Zambia, Indonesia, Singapore, Hong Kong. Cities I can remember living in are D.C., Raleigh, Tampa, Arlington, near Chicago, Rochester, Boston area.

Hooray Rochester! ROP you are a world citizen

themaninblack
03-26-2009, 11:57 PM
I'm going to Vegas, San Diego, and Lake Tahoe next summer for a 21st bday present. My bday is in November but we can't really swing much of anything til the summer comes around. Really looking forward to it though.

Dr. Gonzo
03-27-2009, 12:12 AM
I'm going to Vegas, San Diego, and Lake Tahoe next summer for a 21st bday present. My bday is in November but we can't really swing much of anything til the summer comes around. Really looking forward to it though.

You are going to miss the adult video awards in Vegas in January though! Hopefully my plans don't fall through because if I can get down to Vegas in January at the very least I will have some stories to tell when I leave.

themaninblack
03-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Don't rain on my parade Gonzo! Hopefully, a certain "law" will be passed by the time I get there if ya know what I mean.

someone447
03-28-2009, 10:50 AM

I lived in Portland last year, and I loved it. Who knows, maybe we will run into each other while I am hitchhiking across the west this summer. I'll probably be in Cali for a large part of the time.

How are you planning on traveling from place to place?

Kase1
03-28-2009, 11:18 AM
I've been looking for a single in Bay Ridge and in the Heights. The Heights are expensive as **** but I love the area. Maybe in the future. I need something closer to Manhattan and preferrably closer to the A, C, E lines, I think I may take them down into Brooklyn and see where I end up. Fort Greene seems to be in the perfect spot.

I don't mind the hipster crowd. Thanks for the advice, gentlemen

The heights??? Washington, Brooklyn or Crown Heights????

Washington Heights = AWESOME BUD!!!!!!!

By all costs AVOID the A & C into BK, its a straight HOOD tour on the train, check out FT Greene though, from what I heard Gentrification TOTALLY changed that neighborhood

Kase1
03-28-2009, 11:19 AM

By all costs AVOID the A & C into BK, its a straight HOOD tour on the train, check out FT Greene though, from what I heard Gentrification TOTALLY changed that neighborhood

But seriously bro, AVOID the A & C lines in Brooklyn, you'll just wind up getting into some bad ish

fischbowl
03-28-2009, 04:08 PM

Brooklyn Heights. I'm not Hispanic so Washington Heights may not be for me.

aNYtitan
03-28-2009, 10:25 PM
Brooklyn Heights. I'm not Hispanic so Washington Heights may not be for me.

I'd say check out Park Slope, pretty nice hip area imo the good side of Prospect Park, as well as the best damn bagel shop. I also agree with Kase1 on the A,C lines. I say this because I take it every damn day. You can ride along Coney Island Ave on the B68 and basically see how the area changes (Middle Eastern, Jewish, Russian)

kalbears13
03-28-2009, 11:54 PM
3 of my friends plan on doing a roadtrip at the end of summer from Southern California up north to San Francisco-ish and then across to Chicago to Cleveland (my personal choice) and then to New York/Boston and then down south and across through Texas. Our school starts late like September 25th-ish so all the other schools will be having their beginning of the year parties. We plan on also going to pro and college football games. What do you guys suggest on doing other than this?

I want to go to Europe sometime right after college for like 3 months and go to England, France, Germany, Czech Republic/Slovakia and especially Italy. Italy is a must.

UKfan
03-29-2009, 07:34 AM
If only I spotted this 2 weeks ago... OK I had to go to Alabama for some work and was bored out of my mind there, everything seems so spread out, anyone wanna give me some tips in case I have to go back out? Baltimore and NY were kickass but I was holed up in my hotel in Alabama most the time.

CashmoneyDrew
03-29-2009, 11:44 AM
If only I spotted this 2 weeks ago... OK I had to go to Alabama for some work and was bored out of my mind there, everything seems so spread out, anyone wanna give me some tips in case I have to go back out? Baltimore and NY were kickass but I was holed up in my hotel in Alabama most the time.

Dude.... It's Alabama. They have some beaches and lakes and stuff but other than that......

fischbowl
03-30-2009, 08:38 AM
Anyone been to Sandusky, Ohio? A few buddies and I are planning to rent a house there for a week or so this summer, get really high and go to Cedar Point

The_Dude
03-30-2009, 11:09 AM
I am headed to Washington DC with my school in early May.

Since i am going there with 70 8th graders, our trip is already scheduled/planned out for the most part.

Any suggestions on what to see at the major sites? Anything that has stuck in your mind as a "need to see"?

P-L
03-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Anyone been to Sandusky, Ohio? A few buddies and I are planning to rent a house there for a week or so this summer, get really high and go to Cedar Point
I go to Cedar Point at least once a year, sometimes twice. Most of the time we go down the night before and stay in a hotel so we can get there when it opens and we don't have to wake up at 4:00 AM to drive there. My best friend in high school also worked at Cedar Point a couple summers ago. He said he loved living there far more than working at Cedar Point.

fischbowl
03-30-2009, 12:27 PM
I go to Cedar Point at least once a year, sometimes twice. Most of the time we go down the night before and stay in a hotel so we can get there when it opens and we don't have to wake up at 4:00 AM to drive there. My best friend in high school also worked at Cedar Point a couple summers ago. He said he loved living there far more than working at Cedar Point.

I'd imagine working amusement park would suck. The house we're looking at is right on Lake Erie and it's pretty cheap for the week, $800 or so split between 6-8 people. The town looks pretty sweet from what I've read and Cedar Point is probably the most awesome amusement park in the country. It's only about 4 hours from Buffalo too.

drowe
03-30-2009, 12:44 PM
I'd imagine working amusement park would suck. The house we're looking at is right on Lake Erie and it's pretty cheap for the week, $800 or so split between 6-8 people. The town looks pretty sweet from what I've read and Cedar Point is probably the most awesome amusement park in the country. It's only about 4 hours from Buffalo too.

--personally, having been there, i think Cedar Point is slightly overrated. fun. but, while they excel in quality, there is nothing there that blew my mind. for my money, King's Island on the other end of the state is the way to go.

awfullyquiet
03-30-2009, 12:54 PM
1) Gentrification blows for the most part. takes the spirit out of neighborhoods. Makes it easier for rich middle classy's to take over.
2) What's wrong with straight hood?
3) DC = wonderful. Depends on what you like to do.

Jakey
03-30-2009, 12:55 PM
England = Crap

brat316
03-30-2009, 01:17 PM
1) Gentrification blows for the most part. takes the spirit out of neighborhoods. Makes it easier for rich middle classy's to take over.

Yes for safe neighborhoods it sucks, not for dangerous gang run neighborhoods.

aNYtitan
03-30-2009, 03:18 PM
England = Crap

Really? There has to be something to do there. I guess its just an outlet to the rest of Europe

drowe
03-30-2009, 04:10 PM
I am headed to Washington DC with my school in early May.

Since i am going there with 70 8th graders, our trip is already scheduled/planned out for the most part.

Any suggestions on what to see at the major sites? Anything that has stuck in your mind as a "need to see"?

I really liked Ford's Theatre. problem is, it's not always open for tours due to it still being a working theatre. but, if you get the chance, take the tour.

Also, The Smithsonian Museum of American History is cool. even if you're not into old dead dudes, this museum has a lot of pop culture artifacts.

hope ya don't end up touring the FBI building. that is 2 hours of suck.

The Monuments and Memorials are all great in their own way.

The_Dude
03-30-2009, 06:05 PM
Yeah, we already have tickets to check out Ford's Theatre.

Smithsonian is also on our list.

I know that this might sound wrong... but i am super excited for the Holocaust Museum. I teach 20th Century History & I am expecting this to blow my mind.

skinzzfan25
03-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Yeah, we already have tickets to check out Ford's Theatre.

Smithsonian is also on our list.

I know that this might sound wrong... but i am super excited for the Holocaust Museum. I teach 20th Century History & I am expecting this to blow my mind.

I've been to all of those, you should have a pretty good time.

Jakey
03-31-2009, 07:52 AM
Really? There has to be something to do there. I guess its just an outlet to the rest of Europe

Nah, its actually really not that bad. Its a real nice place in areas, but the main tourist attractions are really boring. You'd be better off going further afield, your more likely to have fun.

fischbowl
03-31-2009, 02:53 PM

Most of my life I've lived in a mostly white, middle class suburb of Buffalo so being that I'm already moving somewhere whose size is way over my head in the first place, I'd prefer something like home. I can see myself visiting the straight hood to be cultured but not live there.

Hollywood
03-31-2009, 03:15 PM
I can see myself visiting the straight hood to be cultured

lol what? Visiting the straight hood to be cultured? What are you going to do, walk around with your camera connected to shoulder strap taking pictures, pointing out the locals all while reading the brochure about the hood then go home with your culture?

Gay Ork Wang
03-31-2009, 03:19 PM
Me and my friends might go to Amsterdam this summer.

Its kinda weird cause even disregarding the Weed and Red Light districts, its still an awesome city

fischbowl
03-31-2009, 03:21 PM
lol what? Visiting the straight hood to be cultured? What are you going to do, walk around with your camera connected to shoulder strap taking pictures, pointing out the locals all while reading the brochure about the hood then go home with your culture?

Pretty much, yeah. You know carrying change in a fanny pack and snapping shots of the poverty.

Hollywood
03-31-2009, 03:22 PM
Pretty much, yeah. You know carrying change in a fanny pack and snapping shots of the poverty.

haha. Make sure you visit the infamous 'house of crack'. It's a must see for anyone trying to gain culture on his visit to the hood.

fischbowl
03-31-2009, 03:27 PM
haha. Make sure you visit the infamous 'house of crack'. It's a must see for anyone trying to gain culture on his visit to the hood.

The Travel Guide says in order to really gain the most from these neighbourhoods is to go at night. Fodor's recommends Keisha, who is usually located on the corner of Main and Union in front of the abandoned laundromat.

Kase1
03-31-2009, 03:38 PM
Yes for safe neighborhoods it sucks, not for dangerous gang run neighborhoods.

Well safe neighborhoods are nice until you get priced out of the neighborhood youve lived in your whole life and are forced to move out to Long Island or NJ and out of the city you love and lived in your whole life

Rob S
03-31-2009, 03:40 PM
Maybe going to Belize this summer........anyone been there, doubt it but I figure its worth a shot.

Kase1
03-31-2009, 03:40 PM
Most of my life I've lived in a mostly white, middle class suburb of Buffalo so being that I'm already moving somewhere whose size is way over my head in the first place, I'd prefer something like home. I can see myself visiting the straight hood to be cultured but not live there.

Well some hoods are safer than others, I wouldnt suggest going there to 'be cultured' thatll just wind up a bad situation

fischbowl
03-31-2009, 03:49 PM
Well some hoods are safer than others, I wouldnt suggest going there to 'be cultured' thatll just wind up a bad situation

It was all in jest, friend.

Matthew Jones
03-31-2009, 03:52 PM
I lived in Portland last year, and I loved it. Who knows, maybe we will run into each other while I am hitchhiking across the west this summer. I'll probably be in Cali for a large part of the time.

How are you planning on traveling from place to place?

Not totally sure on that yet. Still trying to figure that out.

fischbowl
03-31-2009, 03:52 PM

Where in Rochester did you live?

drowe
03-31-2009, 04:10 PM
so, i just got back from South Carolina visiting my brother and some friends. our friends live in a small town and mentioned a museum called "The Museum of the War Between the States." I really wanted to go, but it was closed. probably for the best. i'm sure i would've been shot after i walked in and said, " Hi, we're a northern liberal couple here to take pictures of your silly museum and then go home and laugh at it with all our yankee friends."

ok, i probably wouldn't have actually said that...but, my pointing and laughing might've caused problems.

The_Dude
03-31-2009, 04:51 PM
Maybe going to Belize this summer........anyone been there, doubt it but I figure its worth a shot.

My sister was in the Peace Corps in Belize for 2 years. My family & I visited her for a week about 9 years ago. I loved it there.

We went all over the country (which isn't hard; it's pretty small)... Belize City, San Ignacio (and Guatemala for the day), and Placencia.

You can do lots of neat stuff there. I went snorkling, scuba diving, fishing (i caught barracuda, jacks, and had a tarpon hooked for about 15 seconds), and checked out a bunch of Mayan ruins. Lamanai, near Orange Walk, was incredible.

I also have a couple of friends who spent a couple of weeks on a caye just off the coast. They loved it too.

I strongly suggest that you check it out.

If you do go, tip back a Belikin for me!

someone447
03-31-2009, 04:57 PM
so, i just got back from South Carolina visiting my brother and some friends. our friends live in a small town and mentioned a museum called "The Museum of the War Between the States." I really wanted to go, but it was closed. probably for the best. i'm sure i would've been shot after i walked in and said, " Hi, we're a northern liberal couple here to take pictures of your silly museum and then go home and laugh at it with all our yankee friends."

ok, i probably wouldn't have actually said that...but, my pointing and laughing might've caused problems.

It couldn't have been too bad, after all, it wasn't called The Museum of the War of Northern Aggression.

Rob S
03-31-2009, 08:39 PM
My sister was in the Peace Corps in Belize for 2 years. My family & I visited her for a week about 9 years ago. I loved it there.

We went all over the country (which isn't hard; it's pretty small)... Belize City, San Ignacio (and Guatemala for the day), and Placencia.

You can do lots of neat stuff there. I went snorkling, scuba diving, fishing (i caught barracuda, jacks, and had a tarpon hooked for about 15 seconds), and checked out a bunch of Mayan ruins. Lamanai, near Orange Walk, was incredible.

I also have a couple of friends who spent a couple of weeks on a caye just off the coast. They loved it too.

I strongly suggest that you check it out.

If you do go, tip back a Belikin for me!

My friend is going to be doing a dig in San Ignacio so I would be hanging around there mostly I think. And seeing as she is on a archeological dig I assume I can see some cool stuff there. I want to do a lot of stuff with ruins tho. I heard about some awesome place in a cave where it is like a 6 hour trek to get there.....it sounds sick.

aNYtitan
03-31-2009, 09:47 PM
Me and my friends might go to Amsterdam this summer.

Its kinda weird cause even disregarding the Weed and Red Light districts, its still an awesome city

I heard its f'n incredible city in terms of landscape. I really want to go one day.

I heard that the Domincan Republic is the place to be if your a white american who enjoys fine looking girls. Lucky bastards, gotta go next year for spring break

someone447
03-31-2009, 10:47 PM

My kind of guy. We don't even know where the hell we are going to be going, other than El Paso and California.

awfullyquiet
04-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Well safe neighborhoods are nice until you get priced out of the neighborhood youve lived in your whole life and are forced to move out to Long Island or NJ and out of the city you love and lived in your whole life

^^ happens to the middle class blue collar folk.

Rob S
04-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Anyone know South Africa (I know its rep and all)? I may be working the World Cup in Johannesburg or Cape Town.

Jakey
04-01-2009, 10:47 AM
Give me some info on Pittsburgh pleaseee, im going a.s.a.p :)