PDA

View Full Version : Charles Rogers back in jail

art vandelay
03-25-2009, 06:31 PM
http://www.freep.com/article/20090325/SPORTS01/90325036/1049/Ex-Lion+Charles+Rogers+jailed+on+probation+violation

Charles Rogers used to have it all.
Advertisement

Talent. Fame. Cash.

Now hes in jail.

The second pick overall in the 2003 NFL draft chose to be locked up for 30 days, with credit for 15 days served, instead of staying in an intensive drug counseling program after violating probation in a domestic-violence case.

Im just going to do my 10 days, get out of the court system and try to get in shape for a comeback, Rogers said today in a telephone interview with the Associated Press from the Oakland County jail in Pontiac. Am I sad about the way my life has turned out? No, because I know the strides Ive made to take care of Charles Rogers.

Court records show the 27-year-old ex-Lion receiver tested positive for alcohol and falsified records saying he attended Alcoholic Anonymous meetings.

I was wrong, he said. Im not perfect.

A judge in Novi granted Rogers request Tuesday to leave a sobriety court, in which he had to submit to daily drug testing and allow his residence to be searched at any time for nine months followed by nine months of probation.

The structure was cool, but I had a hard time with the perfection that they stress in the program, Rogers said. I did learn a lot from it, and its going to help me get back on my feet.

Who knows? Maybe well be talking in a year about me playing football again. Its not like Im 35. Im only 27 with fresh legs and a lot of life and football ahead of me.

Rogers was arrested in September and charged with assault and battery involving his fiancee, who also is the mother of his four children, according to defense attorney Joshua Ben.

The Saginaw native pleaded no contest to trespassing and was entered into a treatment house as part of his probation. In November, Rogers returned late to the facility after a judge gave him permission to attend a funeral. A drug test was given and later showed the prescription pain reliever Vicodin.

Rogers then entered a diversion program.

The Lions drafted the former Michigan State star in 2003 and signed him to a six-year, $55-million deal.

After scoring twice in his debut with the Lions, a broken collarbone ended his season. In the next season opener, he had the same injury and his year was over. Rogers played in nine games in 2005 but failed a drug test, and was cut entering the next season.

His career ended with just 36 receptions, 440 yards receiving and four touchdowns in 15 games.

An arbitrator ruled Rogers must return $8.5 million to the team for diminishing his value by failing the drug test, but he declined comment when asked if he has the money to pay the Lions.

Geo
03-25-2009, 06:34 PM
I don't know what tickles me more:

His upcoming comeback or dropping the third-person from a jail cell.

Hahahaha, dumbass.

Brodeur
03-25-2009, 06:35 PM
Rogers put together a coherent sentence? Lies.

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-25-2009, 06:58 PM
Ha! I love how he think he's gonna make some big comback lmao.

Don Vito
03-25-2009, 07:01 PM
What a wasted talent. He could've been such a stud if he wasn't such an idiot/put in a bad situation.

Kase1
03-25-2009, 07:09 PM
I don't know what tickles me more:

His upcoming comeback or dropping the third-person from a jail cell.

Hahahaha, dumbass.

Im suprised it wasnt something like "Carlos Rodgers watches out for the guy in the cell"

Speaking in 4th person or something, but still HYSTERICAL none the less

jj45
03-25-2009, 07:11 PM
I really wish he wasn't so stupid I remember when he got cut I wanted the bears to sign him but who was a injury prone junkie on their team. I did see him being better then moss and to coming out of college I was truly jocking him. Total waste of talent

Brodeur
03-25-2009, 07:14 PM
I really wish he wasn't so stupid I remember when he got cut I wanted the bears to sign him but who was a injury prone junkie on their team. I did see him being better then moss and to coming out of college I was truly jocking him. Total waste of talent

Junkie? He smokes pot not crack.

JRTPlaya21
03-25-2009, 07:16 PM
Well atleast I can still throw to him on NCAA FB.

Kase1
03-25-2009, 07:16 PM

And who doesnt LOVE a nice fat doob, blunt, or bong load?!?!?!?!?!

P-L
03-25-2009, 07:18 PM
That's a Michigan State education for you. http://draftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

tjsunstein
03-25-2009, 07:19 PM
http://www.littlegreenfootballs2.com/wp-content/uploads/banned.gif

jj45
03-25-2009, 07:22 PM
Ok if he is in rehab then he would be a junkie or addict . Sense weed is a drug and it ruins careers then that makes him a junkie.

TimD
03-25-2009, 07:26 PM
let's not turn this into a drug talk.

i hope maybe in a couple of years he can at least be playing arena ball or something. so much potential just gone

Philliez01
03-25-2009, 07:27 PM
Im suprised it wasnt something like "Carlos Rodgers watches out for the guy in the cell"

Speaking in 4th person or something, but still HYSTERICAL none the less

Yeah nothing like multiple personality disorder to make you popular in the cell.

yourfavestoner
03-25-2009, 07:29 PM
Ok if he is in rehab then he would be a junkie or addict . Sense weed is a drug and it ruins careers then that makes him a junkie.

A junkie is somebody who is addicted to heroin, dumbass.

TimD
03-25-2009, 07:29 PM

hooray for ignorance....

Brodeur
03-25-2009, 07:31 PM
i hope maybe in a couple of years he can at least be playing arena ball or something. so much potential just gone

He's a giant dumbass so he doesn't deserve another chance. And if he went to rehab for smoking pot then there is seriously some wrong here.

TimD
03-25-2009, 07:33 PM
He's a giant dumbass so he doesn't deserve another chance. And if he went to rehab for smoking pot then there is seriously some wrong here.

oh yeah i'm well aware he doesn't deserve it, but i hope for his sake he can figure out a way to turn his life around. and yeah that is really pathetic that he had to go to rehab for bud.

Mr. Hero
03-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Anyone in rehab for bud is tarded.

jj45
03-25-2009, 07:54 PM

Being a pot head makes a junkie dumbass. Just because it's not crack or meth doesn't mean its ok. U sould like ignorant punk who thinks oh weed isn't a drug. U become a junkie when the drug u use affects ur daily life. Last time I checked if u can't put the blunt down during the season then ur an addict. So he is a junkie and if he wasn't then the judge wouldn't have agreed on him going to rehab. Don't talk smack on a website

Kase1
03-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Being a pot head makes a junkie dumbass. Just because it's not crack or meth doesn't mean its ok. U sould like ignorant punk who thinks oh weed isn't a drug. U become a junkie when the drug u use affects ur daily life. Last time I checked if u can't put the blunt down during the season then ur an addict. So he is a junkie and if he wasn't then the judge wouldn't have agreed on him going to rehab. Don't talk smack on a website

Actually theyll put u in rehab to cut down on your sentence even if its for an alcohol or drug related offense and youre NOT a hard core user

jj45
03-25-2009, 08:02 PM
Still if u get can't put down a bong to save ur career then are a junkie he lost 8 million bucks for weed many players have come back from injury but the drugs was the final straw. He can play in the afl or the cifl or even the canadian league.

brat316
03-25-2009, 08:10 PM
Wow he is only 27 years old, Rogers feels like a long time ago.

ahhah Charles Rogers is coming back ahhaha.

Him and Vick should pair up in the AFL or USFL and then make the transition to the NFL. They would make perfect workout partners, Vick works on accuracy and Rogers works on staying off weed and Alcohol.

lionsfan81
03-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Matt Millen picked this guy over Andre Johnson...... If only. How was Matt able to keep his job so long is absolute insanity, no wait that's him getting a contract extension!! I want to cry just thinking how bad he killed the Lions

Mr. Hero
03-25-2009, 08:33 PM

We don't call caffeine or nicotine abusers junkies do we? What sort of BS is that judge wouldn't have agreed to rehab if he wasn't a junkie crap? If you get caught with any drug and want to lessen your sentence you go to rehab, that's how the court's work. No matter if you've gotten messed up for only the first time or if you're railing yay/bangin H on a daily basis.

triggernome
03-25-2009, 08:37 PM
Matt Millen picked this guy over Andre Johnson...... If only. How was Matt able to keep his job so long is absolute insanity, no wait that's him getting a contract extension!! I want to cry just thinking how bad he killed the Lions
Thank God it happened that way, as I'm sure Charlie Casserly would have taken Rogers if he were there.

Crickett
03-25-2009, 09:40 PM
Matt Millen picked this guy over Andre Johnson...... If only. How was Matt able to keep his job so long is absolute insanity, no wait that's him getting a contract extension!!

Well to be fair, everyone had Michigan State receiver and (at the time) career touchdown record holder Charles Rogers being drafted by Detroit.

Even I who had Andre Johnson rated higher knew he was going to go to Detroit ahead of Andre. Not a 6'3 receiver with that record and 4.4 speed from a local college.

As horrible of a bust as Charles Rogers was, lets not pretend he was anything but one of the top receiver prospects of the last 20 years.

CashmoneyDrew
03-25-2009, 10:00 PM
I remember watching Charles Rogers being interviewed by I think Chris Mortensen on draft day right after he was drafted. As soon as I heard him speak I knew that the Lions had blown the pick. Kind of the same way I felt when I heard Pacman's first interview after he was drafted.

Brent
03-25-2009, 10:07 PM
"I'm just going to do my 10 days, get out of the court system and try to get in shape for a comeback," Rogers said

I wonder which CFL team that is going to be with.

someone447
03-25-2009, 10:13 PM

Considering I have made, many, many, many posts on this subject, and was able to get a thread about drugs to last over an entire day I will say one thing and then leave this conversation with a quote.

A junkie is someone who is addicted to drugs and commits an action that is against his typical moral code in order to satisfy his cravings. Charles Rogers did neither. He is not a junkie, he is an idiot(and not for smoking weed or drinking, but rather that he got caught doing either.)

Now for the quote from Half Baked:
Cocaine Addict: Marijuana is not a drug. I used to suck dick for coke. Now that's an addiction. You ever suck some dick for marijuana?

Mr. Hero
03-25-2009, 10:16 PM
Cocaine Addict: Marijuana is not a drug. I used to suck dick for coke. Now that's an addiction. You ever suck some dick for marijuana?

I seen 'im!

lionsfan81
03-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Well to be fair, everyone had Michigan State receiver and (at the time) career touchdown record holder Charles Rogers being drafted by Detroit.

Even I who had Andre Johnson rated higher knew he was going to go to Detroit ahead of Andre. Not a 6'3 receiver with that record and 4.4 speed from a local college.

As horrible of a bust as Charles Rogers was, lets not pretend he was anything but one of the top receiver prospects of the last 20 years.

Yes I agree completely, but field stats and game tape alone, if you did your homework correctly you would find the problems with drafting him that high.

He tested positive at the combine (claimed watered down sample), tested positive all 3 years at state for marijuana, took plays off, refused to play special teams for state, has 5 illegitimate children (2 or 3 while in high school) and just by interviewing him you should have been able to see that this guy does not have high character at all.

holt_bruce81
03-26-2009, 03:40 AM
This guys an idiot. Way to waste your life!

Addict
03-26-2009, 04:28 AM

That's not entirely fair, C-Rog looked the real deal and was considered a very good selection at #2 that year. It's sad to see how it turned out, but Millen can't really be blamed for that. Other than that, yeah he pretty much killed the lions. But both Harrington and C-Rog looked like really good picks when he made them. Everyone agreed on it.

I di--

nevermind.

Shahin
03-26-2009, 04:58 PM

Haha, how old are you?

Does anybody actually think Roger's will get back into football? What about the AFL?

Donno
03-26-2009, 09:16 PM
The hells the matter with this guy?

vikes_28
03-26-2009, 09:44 PM
I remember him now. He was good in college. And her turned into a class A bust when he came to the NFL. And now he is a pothead. Awesome.

Calvin & Kevin
03-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Charles Rogers' problem isn't that he smokes weed. Lots of guys in the league smoke. His problem is that he's a dummy.

You can say all you want that he was an equal or better prospect than Andre Johnson, and from a 40 time or college production standpoint he was.

But it's idiotic to use the second pick in the draft on anyone who can't put two sentences together. It's a clear sign of someone who, though they dominated in college, will not be able to make the step to the higher level of competition, mentally and in terms of work and dedication.

Sure, Rogers was hurt by injuries, an inconsistent organization around him, and by the Lions basically abandoning him as their #1 guy the very next year by drafting Roy Williams (of course by that time he had already had two positives for weed). But those are the adversities players face. The second overall pick has to be a guy who has the mental toughness to fight through those and accept nothing less than becoming great.

Rogers has the mental toughness of a sponge mop. Anyone who talks to him can figure this out. So, although he was considered a top prospect worthy of the #2 pick, it should have been easy to figure out Johnson was the better choice and yes I blame Millen for being too dense to realize that.

Rayray52
03-27-2009, 11:38 AM
I love how alot of these guys live paycheck to paycheck and then are totally broke when they get cut....how the hell do you live like that when your making 150k a week....

Addict
03-27-2009, 12:07 PM
I love how alot of these guys live paycheck to paycheck and then are totally broke when they get cut....how the hell do you live like that when your making 150k a week....

they don't go broke instantly, but I suppose their homes and regular costs do depend on that 150k coming in. So when that money stops flowing, the costs mount and presto! you're broke.

Kase1
03-28-2009, 10:13 AM
We don't call caffeine or nicotine abusers junkies do we? What sort of BS is that judge wouldn't have agreed to rehab if he wasn't a junkie crap? If you get caught with any drug and want to lessen your sentence you go to rehab, that's how the court's work. No matter if you've gotten messed up for only the first time or if you're railing yay/bangin H on a daily basis.

LOL, youre in trouble, I just laughed out loud at work and now the customers are looking at me like im crazy

TACKLE
03-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Its amazing what a couple broken collarbones can do to a guy's life. Rogers was actually doing good until he broke his collarbone in consecutive seasons basically ending his career. Now look where he is.

Mr. Hero
03-28-2009, 02:10 PM
Its amazing what a couple broken collarbones can do to a guy's life. Rogers was actually doing good until he broke his collarbone in consecutive seasons basically ending his career. Now look where he is.

Collorbone is a very scary injury. I remember when I was playing bantam level hockey we went up to detroit for a tournament and we had our biggest defender get sent head first into the boards and he broke his collarbone. that was a ****** trip since we had two other broken bones in that tourney, but that was a really scary moment. Especially since our sisters were good friends.

moseshallreturn
03-29-2009, 01:46 PM

Beer is worse than pot, yet pot is illegal.

Mr. Hero
03-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Beer is worse than pot, yet pot is illegal.

Don't even start. Don't get me wrong, I think all drugs should be legalized, regulated and taxed, but this is neither the place nor the time for such discussion.