PDA

View Full Version : Drafts Thoughts

JoeyJr09
03-26-2009, 11:17 AM
I was just wondering what everyone tho of the idea of trading down out of the 1st round? My thinking is we could find a team at the top of the 2nd that i willing to package their 2nd and 3rd rounder to move into our spot. Much the way the Jets did for Keller last year or the 49ers did for Staley 2 years ago.

I would then target the draft like this:

2a.) Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers
2b.) Ron Brace, NT, Boston College
2c.) Darius Butler, CB, UConn
3a.) Connor Barwin, LB, Cincinnati
3b.) Chase Coffman, TE, Mizzou
4.) DeAngelo Smith, CB, Cincinnati
5.) Garrett Reynolds, OT, North Carolina
6.) Anthony Scirotto, S, Penn State
7a.) Aaron Kelly, WR, Clemson
7b.) Ryan Stanchek, OG, West Virginia

Allows us to hit our needs at CB and WR in a huge way while still getting a pass rushing LB, our future at NT, a solid TE and some OL depth.

Im starting to think this is the best way to go.

Quagmire
03-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Joe,

Trading down is almost always the best way to go IMO. Most great teams build their teams with the players they get from the 2nd to 4th rounds.. If they can find a partner to trade down with, gathering more picks for a team that has a lot of weaker spots is the way to go.

BTW, there is no way that Butler and Barwin fall as far as you have them dropping. I also think Britt is supremely talented but that Robiskie may be more of their cup of tea. Don't be stunned if Brace is their 1st pick, whenever they make it... I say they should go best available for their 1st pick no matter what the position. If it means RB, TE, DE or any other supposed position of strength. Having too many good players at one position is never a bad thing.

draftguru151
03-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Yea Butler and Barwin both have a shot at the first and should go early 2.

As for trading down, yea it would be a good situation, but there are a lot of guys that can help us with our late first and we can have the pick of who we want, rather than get who falls a bit further. The grades of a lot of guys are about the same (a lot of CBs, WRs and rush backers have similar stocks around there) but I'd rather get the guy we want rather than a guy that falls. There are probably 10-15 guys I'd be happy with with the late 1 or where ever we trade down to though, a few of which we should be able to get with the early 2nd.

Random draft, haven't thought too much about potential drafts though.
1. Hakeem Nicks
2a. Ron Brace
2b. DJ Moore/Jaius Byrd
3. Zach Follett/Cody Brown
4. Glen Coffee
5. Cameron Morrah
lalala

Any combination of WR/CB/OLB I'd be pretty happy with, would like to bring in Brace, maybe a guy like Roy Miller or Chris Baker in the 3rd/4th, but I'm not sure NT gets addressed. Like to add a RB in the mid rounds if we can, again not sure it gets addressed, same as TE.

I'd be pretty happy with one of Alphonso, Butler, Moore, Byrd, one of Nicks, Britt, Robiskie, and one of English, Sintim, Barwin, Brown, Follett. Few other guys as well, add a NT, RB, TE, OL, and another WR and CB. Really liked to add Joe Burnett later if we can, great return guy and I think he can contribute at CB.

Lot of different ways we can go.

Quagmire
03-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Guru,

I think the best part about their draft this yr is that they can go a bunch of different ways. If one of the top prospects drop for any reason, they will be in a great spot to pick them up. I would prefer the tradedown if available because I believe this team needs bodies across the board. There are a trio of guys I do not want to see end up here. Lauranitis, Cushing and Matthews. I think all are overrated and are not what they should be looking for at the LB position.... I am afraid they may jump on them if they are there....

draftguru151
03-27-2009, 03:11 PM
I think Matthews is the only one of those guys I'd be worried about. I'd put the chances of Cushing falling to us at 0.000001, but if he did I wouldn't mind him at all. I think he'd be a great fit inside for us (the Carpenter similarities are there but I think Cushing turns out much better). Lauranitis definitely has a chance of being there but I don't think he'd work in our 3-4 (other 3-4s maybe, I know the Pats have shown interest, just don't see it for us though) so I'm not that worried about us taking him. I'd really scared of us taking Matthews though. With our late 2? I'd like it, but in the first I think that would be a huge mistake.

JoeyJr09
03-27-2009, 05:06 PM
I hate the idea of taking Mathews in the 1st. Hate it. Bobby Carpenter all over again and I thought that pick was a huge mistake at the pick.

Rey is more likely to fall then Cushing IMO.

I disagree about Butler and Barwin not lasting until the late 2nd/early 3rd. Stuff happens. It's not a stretch by any means. Barwin was working out at TE because his position is a question so there's certainly reasons to see him fall some. Even if they don't fall, guys like Moore, Byrd, Sidbury, Kruger, could all be around as well.

More important then anything IMO is NT. Without a NT, the 3-4 doesnt work. We can grab a bunch of WR and CB later and chances are some will work out but true NT are extremely hard to find and Brace should be within striking distance of where we are picking.

thebow305
03-29-2009, 05:05 PM
I was just wondering what everyone tho of the idea of trading down out of the 1st round? My thinking is we could find a team at the top of the 2nd that i willing to package their 2nd and 3rd rounder to move into our spot. Much the way the Jets did for Keller last year or the 49ers did for Staley 2 years ago.

I would then target the draft like this:

2a.) Kenny Britt, WR, Rutgers
2b.) Ron Brace, NT, Boston College
2c.) Darius Butler, CB, UConn
3a.) Connor Barwin, LB, Cincinnati
3b.) Chase Coffman, TE, Mizzou
4.) DeAngelo Smith, CB, Cincinnati
5.) Garrett Reynolds, OT, North Carolina
6.) Anthony Scirotto, S, Penn State
7a.) Aaron Kelly, WR, Clemson
7b.) Ryan Stanchek, OG, West Virginia

Allows us to hit our needs at CB and WR in a huge way while still getting a pass rushing LB, our future at NT, a solid TE and some OL depth.

Im starting to think this is the best way to go.

Joey, I think this is a great idea, and I too think trading down is probably the best way to go. If we were able to get all of those guys by adding a another 2nd and 3rd instead of just a pick at the end of the 1st, I'm all for it. I have a good feeling that the majority of the players we are targeting at 25 will still be available in the 2nd at some point.

I like that draft as well. The only pick I would change there is the tight end pick. Coffman is probably no more than a 4th-5th rounder right now, so if we can get a talent like James Casey or Cornelius Ingram in the 3rd instead, I would like that much better. We have been linked to both players thus far. Ingram is a physical speciman that will need to work on the nuances of playing Tight End in the pros, especially blocking. But he would add a very big receiving threat to the offense. Casey would give us a very versatile prospect that is very talented and could help at tight end, returns, and would could be an emergency QB for the future if we decide to let Beck and/or Pennington go after the season. He also would bring an exciting new element to the wildcat and would make our offense just a little more dangerous and you know I'm all for that!

Man this time of year is exciting! So many possibilities! I can't wait for the draft!

Quagmire
03-30-2009, 11:43 AM
I think Matthews is the only one of those guys I'd be worried about. I'd put the chances of Cushing falling to us at 0.000001, but if he did I wouldn't mind him at all. I think he'd be a great fit inside for us (the Carpenter similarities are there but I think Cushing turns out much better). Lauranitis definitely has a chance of being there but I don't think he'd work in our 3-4 (other 3-4s maybe, I know the Pats have shown interest, just don't see it for us though) so I'm not that worried about us taking him. I'd really scared of us taking Matthews though. With our late 2? I'd like it, but in the first I think that would be a huge mistake.

Guru,
Of the 3 that I mentioned, I am most scared of Lauranitis ending up here. I think he may be the type of safe pick he could look for. I hope I am wrong. Same with Matthews and Cushing for me.. To be honest, USC players the last few yrs have not exactly excelled. I would stay away if possible.

thebow305
03-30-2009, 02:56 PM
Guru,
Of the 3 that I mentioned, I am most scared of Lauranitis ending up here. I think he may be the type of safe pick he could look for. I hope I am wrong. Same with Matthews and Cushing for me.. To be honest, USC players the last few yrs have not exactly excelled. I would stay away if possible.

Parcells won't take Laurinaitis. I wouldn't even worry about it, he would be a terrible fit in our defense and our FO knows that.

Quagmire
03-31-2009, 11:27 AM
I hate the idea of taking Mathews in the 1st. Hate it. Bobby Carpenter all over again and I thought that pick was a huge mistake at the pick.

Rey is more likely to fall then Cushing IMO.

I disagree about Butler and Barwin not lasting until the late 2nd/early 3rd. Stuff happens. It's not a stretch by any means. Barwin was working out at TE because his position is a question so there's certainly reasons to see him fall some. Even if they don't fall, guys like Moore, Byrd, Sidbury, Kruger, could all be around as well.

More important then anything IMO is NT. Without a NT, the 3-4 doesnt work. We can grab a bunch of WR and CB later and chances are some will work out but true NT are extremely hard to find and Brace should be within striking distance of where we are picking.

Agree on the NT being the most important position. The problem is that I would not want them to reach for Brace when there could be better players out there at other positions.. Kind of a tough spot...

Quagmire
03-31-2009, 11:32 AM
Parcells won't take Laurinaitis. I wouldn't even worry about it, he would be a terrible fit in our defense and our FO knows that.

I would not be so sure. He is a fundamentally sound player who would be a safe pick. He could easily play inside in a 3-4. I personally do not think he is that good and hope he doesn't end up here.....