PDA

View Full Version : Your Dream 2009 1st Round Pick

hagy34
03-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Ok so we are on the clock and you have your choice. Who do you take? Make it realistic...no Stafford or Crabtree picks please.

I'd take Percy Harvin.

General Zod
03-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Andre Smith falls to us in round 1.
And then Alphonso Smith falls to us in round 2.

Hey, you said "dream" draft :-)

hagy34
03-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Alphonso in the 2nd would be just awesome. I think that is more likely than Andre.

Crazy_Chris
03-27-2009, 04:04 PM
My Dream first rounder for this year is Vontae Davis. If he falls to us at #22 I will be one happy guy.

jsang74
03-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Michael Oher

russie
03-30-2009, 04:31 PM
my dream pick is my homer pick....LARRY ENGLISH

the value is there for the pick and he would improve the pressure on the qb. he would be a definite upgrade over that piece of crap ray edwards

The_Dude
03-30-2009, 05:54 PM
Any of the top 4 tackles.

BlueBandit24
03-31-2009, 10:29 AM
Michael Oher

He would probably be my choice as well. If he or Andre Smith dropped that would be ideal, if not, I would love to see us trade down if at all possible and grab one of the leftover tackles, a corner, or a wide receiver.

marshallb
03-31-2009, 04:22 PM
My Dream first rounder for this year is Vontae Davis. If he falls to us at #22 I will be one happy guy.

Do you care to explain that? He is a terrible fit in the cover 2 defense.

marshallb
03-31-2009, 04:24 PM
I agree that my pick would have to be either Oher or Andre Smith, but both of those will likely be gone and if they are, I'd trade down and pick up an extra 3rd or 4th and still take Britton if he is there, otherwise I'd go with Unger, Alphonso Smith, or a WR like Britt or Nicks, but not Harvin.

Crazy_Chris
03-31-2009, 04:52 PM
Do you care to explain that? He is a terrible fit in the cover 2 defense.

I cannot begin to understand what leads you to believe Vontae Davis would be a "Terrible" fit in the cover 2. I explained it in the 2009 Draft thread, but if I must again...

Strengths:
Prototypical height and bulk...Smooth and fluid with top-notch athleticism...Excellent speed...Flips his hips well and can turn and run...Has a burst to close and can recover when beat...Very strong with a muscular physique...Tough and physical...Gets a good jam at the line...A reliable tackler who can deliver the big hit...Does a fantastic job in run support...Decent hands and ball skills...Capable of excelling in either man or zone coverage....May offer some positional versatility...Solid return man and special teamer...Durable...Has lots of experience against top competition...Nice bloodlines..Major upside.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/cb/Vontae-Davis.php

marshallb
04-01-2009, 08:50 AM
I cannot begin to understand what leads you to believe Vontae Davis would be a "Terrible" fit in the cover 2. I explained it in the 2009 Draft thread, but if I must again...

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/cb/Vontae-Davis.php

Ummmm...Actually watching some film is what leads me to believe that.

Crazy_Chris
04-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Well since you actually watched some film, please elaborate on exactly what you saw. I still don't know what leads you to believe that he will not only not fit in the cover 2, but he will be a "terrible" fit in the Cover 2.

Also no offense intended, but that is just obsurd. I'm so sure you actually have access to game film. I'm sorry but watching a couple of college football games on TV, does not equate to watching some film.

The Dynasty
04-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Although I am not a fan of Vontae Davis, I do like how he shows he is not afraid of going up and making the tackle. He is a big hitter and in that aspect reminds me of Winfield.

My dream 09 Pick would probably be Oher as well but wouldnt mind Britton and Smith.

Crazy_Chris
04-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Vontae Davis is definatly the guy I want but I like a lot of the options the Vikings have this year in round 1.

Michael Oher(slim but their is a chance)
Vontae Davis
Eben Britton
Alphonso Smith
Darius Butler
Kenny Britt

I wouldn't mind picking up any of those guys in round 1.

marshallb
04-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Well since you actually watched some film, please elaborate on exactly what you saw. I still don't know what leads you to believe that he will not only not fit in the cover 2, but he will be a "terrible" fit in the Cover 2.

Also no offense intended, but that is just obsurd. I'm so sure you actually have access to game film. I'm sorry but watching a couple of college football games on TV, does not equate to watching some film.

I watch the games live, and I also have a DVR which I save them to and then go back and pick them apart, it may not be coaches film or anything like that, but it is the best thing available to me. I have watched the Missouri, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa, and Penn State games.

He doesn't play nearly as physical as he should at times, gets caught out of position way too easily. He also takes too many risks that he doesn't need too and shouldn't, his backpedal isn't real good.

I will also say that I am just not a big fan of his and may have a bit of a negative bias towards him that is mostly based on his attitude and work ethic. I see him as being a big bust and don't want him on the Vikings.

cotts1
04-01-2009, 04:43 PM
jay cutler

marshallb
04-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Crazy Chris, how about this, I will say that he is a poor fit in the cover 2 from now on.
I also would like Cutler, but I am pretty sure it isn't going to happen so I am not even worrying about it.

hagy34
04-01-2009, 10:11 PM
So heres an idea. Anyone want to try to a mock for our teams picks? I saw another thread where people vote and once a name gets 5 votes that is the pick. Might as well try and get it started. Just try be as realistic as possible. My vote for the 1st round is Hakeem Nicks.

Crazy_Chris
04-01-2009, 11:27 PM
I watch the games live, and I also have a DVR which I save them to and then go back and pick them apart, it may not be coaches film or anything like that, but it is the best thing available to me. I have watched the Missouri, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa, and Penn State games.

He doesn't play nearly as physical as he should at times, gets caught out of position way too easily. He also takes too many risks that he doesn't need too and shouldn't, his backpedal isn't real good.

I will also say that I am just not a big fan of his and may have a bit of a negative bias towards him that is mostly based on his attitude and work ethic. I see him as being a big bust and don't want him on the Vikings.

Watching games live or recording them on DVR is still no where near watching film. But I am glad the real reason you don't like him came out. If you don't like his attitude and supposed work ethic. That is fine just say that rather than saying he is a terrible fit or even a poor fit in the cover 2. He is a physical CB, that can get a jam at the line. He is a reliable tackler, is good and willing in the run support, and happens to have good balls skills. He is not perfect but rarely is anyone an absolutly perfect fit, He would fit just fine into the scheme.

marshallb
04-02-2009, 08:50 AM
He is still not a good fit in the cover 2, I may not have the equipment and tools that scouts have, but from what I can see, he is a poor fit in the cover 2. You don't have to be able to get a good jam at the line in a cover 2, in fact most cover 2 teams don't jam. He also isn't as physical as he should be and when he tries to be physical, he gets caught out of position real easily. You have just been repeating the same 3 things over and over.

vikes_28
04-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Mark Sanchez.

Crazy_Chris
04-02-2009, 10:40 AM
He is still not a good fit in the cover 2, I may not have the equipment and tools that scouts have, but from what I can see, he is a poor fit in the cover 2. You don't have to be able to get a good jam at the line in a cover 2, in fact most cover 2 teams don't jam. He also isn't as physical as he should be and when he tries to be physical, he gets caught out of position real easily. You have just been repeating the same 3 things over and over.

You are just biased against him as you said because his attitutude, supposed, work ethic and because your gut feeling is he will bust. So now you are trying make up reasons to justify to yourself why there should be no chance that the Vikings will select him. Just be honest, say I think he will bust so I don't want him. You don't need to go through all this trouble of trying to make it like he won't fit into the scheme when he will. Because you Tivo a few college games and try to break them down does not make you Mike Mayock. The Camera angles TV airs rarely give you all that you need to sufficiently break down a CB's play.

marshallb
04-02-2009, 04:33 PM
You are just biased against him as you said because his attitutude, supposed, work ethic and because your gut feeling is he will bust. So now you are trying make up reasons to justify to yourself why there should be no chance that the Vikings will select him. Just be honest, say I think he will bust so I don't want him. You don't need to go through all this trouble of trying to make it like he won't fit into the scheme when he will. Because you Tivo a few college games and try to break them down does not make you Mike Mayock. The Camera angles TV airs rarely give you all that you need to sufficiently break down a CB's play.

WOW... Are you just going to keep blurting out the same **** over and over? I never said my equipment was great, but I look at film from an unbiased point of view. At least I try to do my own scouting instead of just taking what so called "experts" have to say and repeating it over and over again trying to make a point.

Crazy_Chris
04-03-2009, 02:44 PM
You are missing the whole point of it. It doesn't matter that you try to do your own scouting. The point is that you can't do it like that, it isn't sufficient for a CB. Now your trying use this BS "scouting" of yours to try to make it like you know for a fact that the player won't fit. As for having a un-biased opinion thats funny. You stated you had a bias against him for his attitude, supposed work ethic and because your gut says he is a bust. Also as for the so called experts which the only one I have used is Scott himself. I don't know about you but the reason I(and most others) come to this site is because they trust Scott Wright's analysis. I have been following the draft on his site for years and his analysis is of high quality. I will value Scott Wright's opinion over yours any day(as I am sure most others would). So go ahead an keep thinking you watched film and scouted Vontae Davis, and you know how he will fit into any system. It's obviously pointless to try to suggest otherwise. As it is obvoius that your opinion shouldn't be taken very seriously anyways and I will not waste anymore time on it.

marshallb
04-03-2009, 07:33 PM
You are missing the whole point of it. It doesn't matter that you try to do your own scouting. The point is that you can't do it like that, it isn't sufficient for a CB. Now your trying use this BS "scouting" of yours to try to make it like you know for a fact that the player won't fit. As for having a un-biased opinion thats funny. You stated you had a bias against him for his attitude, supposed work ethic and because your gut says he is a bust. Also as for the so called experts which the only one I have used is Scott himself. I don't know about you but the reason I(and most others) come to this site is because they trust Scott Wright's analysis. I have been following the draft on his site for years and his analysis is of high quality. I will value Scott Wright's opinion over yours any day(as I am sure most others would). So go ahead an keep thinking you watched film and scouted Vontae Davis, and you know how he will fit into any system. It's obviously pointless to try to suggest otherwise. As it is obvoius that your opinion shouldn't be taken very seriously anyways and I will not waste anymore time on it.

I don't really care what you think, because you don't know me and if you did, you wouldn't be saying or writing these things, but go ahead and feel free to disregard my opinion based on the fact that you will beleive anything that Scott says, and yes I do like Scott and think he is very good, but he has been dead wrong about players before as have all other experts, if everything they said was right, then they would be GMs of pro football teams and would all be the best at it. That is why so many players are busts and so many 6th-7th round picks and even UDFAs are superstars. I am just going to give up on this, b/c you took 2 words from Scott's report and took it as a dead fact instead of researching it further or anything else. There are many different zone schemes other than the cover 2, and Scott didn't say anything about zone other than that he is capable of playing zone, not that he is a good fit in a zone scheme or anything like that. Hell, many guys are capable of doing things, but they can still be poor at them. But, whatever, I will just agree to disagree and not say anything more about this.

BGB
04-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Without a doubt Percy Harvin

hagy34
04-08-2009, 01:14 PM
The more I think about a dream scenario I'm really hoping that we go one of two ways.

1a. Trade down in the 1st and draft the best available WR - Harvin,Nicks or Britt.
1b. Michael Oher some how falls to us at 22.

I really would be happy if one of these two situations were to happen. I seems to be that its going to be tough though because Oher will most likely be gone and trading down seems a little tough just because I don't know who will be trying to move up that late in the draft.

marshallb
04-08-2009, 05:20 PM
The more I think about a dream scenario I'm really hoping that we go one of two ways.

1a. Trade down in the 1st and draft the best available WR - Harvin,Nicks or Britt.
1b. Michael Oher some how falls to us at 22.

I really would be happy if one of these two situations were to happen. I seems to be that its going to be tough though because Oher will most likely be gone and trading down seems a little tough just because I don't know who will be trying to move up that late in the draft.

I like both of those scenarios, but I would also throw Britton in there after trading down, and I would also trade up with Tampa Bay to grab Oher if he falls that far, b/c I think that Detroit would take him if he's there.
I think that if Vontae Davis is there, someone like Miami or Baltimore or even Pittsburgh would be interested in moving up, also with Miami or Baltimore maybe moving up to get DHB if he's there.

Kid_Ego
04-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Uhm how about much like his brother he is a better athlete then football player. Vontae Davis is a freak of nature athletically but he is an average cb. no better then a 3rd or 4th rounder. The guy is a typical over rated big ten CB they are there ever year and this is another example no way the vikes should draft him before the third round for sure. And personally Id rather have a guy like Pat White who has similar athletic ability and a lot more upside. Who knows he could be the next Marvin Harrison or Anquan Bolden compared to the next Cedric Griffin Im really not sure he would even be an upgrade nor am I really convinced it takes great cbs to run the cover 2

General Zod
04-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Uhm how about much like his brother he is a better athlete then football player. Vontae Davis is a freak of nature athletically but he is an average cb. no better then a 3rd or 4th rounder. The guy is a typical over rated big ten CB they are there ever year and this is another example no way the vikes should draft him before the third round for sure. And personally Id rather have a guy like Pat White who has similar athletic ability and a lot more upside. Who knows he could be the next Marvin Harrison or Anquan Bolden compared to the next Cedric Griffin Im really not sure he would even be an upgrade nor am I really convinced it takes great cbs to run the cover 2

Well you were close, you had overrated and Pat White in the same paragraph. :-)

hagy34
04-09-2009, 11:28 PM

I'm confused as to how Pat White, Marvin Harrison and Anquan Boldin are in the same conversation? And also confused how this pertains to Vontae Davis. Davis will be gone well before the 3rd round, that I can promise you.

General Zod
04-10-2009, 01:09 AM

So what do Marlin Jackson, Kelvin Hayden, Nate Clements, Antoine Winfield, Charles Woodson, Shawn Springs, Ty Law, Troy Vincent, Rod Woodson,....hell...Jack Tatum all have in common?
(and yes im forgetting some, its late.)

hagy34
04-10-2009, 01:18 AM
So what do Marlin Jackson, Kelvin Hayden, Nate Clements, Antoine Winfield, Charles Woodson, Shawn Springs, Ty Law, Troy Vincent, Rod Woodson,....hell...Jack Tatum all have in common?
(and yes im forgetting some, its late.)

LOL. Big Ten??? Not to mention that the so called best DB in the draft is from OSU. And don't forget about Tyrone Carter! Ok...you can forget him. :)

Kid_Ego
04-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Must of the forementioned were over rated and Marvin harrison and anquan bolden were both qb's in college, I guess I would assume anybody who would comment on draft site would know this.

Kid_Ego
04-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Btw what is Marlin jackson and kelvin hayden even doing in the same sentence with rod woodson and Jack tatum. But lets face ityou went through 40 years of DBS in the same sentence and came up with two hall of famers and a couple of solid corners and a whole bunch of guys who never lived up to the hype. Charles Woodson ring a bell?

Kid_Ego
04-10-2009, 11:48 AM
tom knight? Mike Doss? Bobby Sanders is a walking first aid kit, Marlin jackson is over rated. the last ten years have produced alot of average big ten corners

hagy34
04-16-2009, 01:32 AM
Must of the forementioned were over rated and Marvin harrison and anquan bolden were both qb's in college, I guess I would assume anybody who would comment on draft site would know this.

I wasn't referring to that. I referring to the thought that Pat White would be of Boldin or Harrison's caliber at WR. I guess anything is possible but I just don't see that happening.

BlueBandit24
04-16-2009, 11:37 AM

Harrison was a WR at Syracuse. McNabb was his QB.

hagy34
04-17-2009, 11:29 PM
So now that the draft is much closer, I think I would prefer us to move down in the first and draft the best available WR. That would be perfect. Unless somehow Oher or Maclin fell to us, that probably won't happen though.

Dr. Gonzo
04-18-2009, 12:22 AM
Dream scenario, Matt Sanchez has a Brady Quinn like fall to our pick. We trade the pick to Seattle and acquire their first next year. We draft Carlos Dunlap next year. That would make me almost as happy as getting Adrian Peterson. Of course this is almost a zero percent chance this happens but I can dream.

hagy34
04-22-2009, 03:00 PM
I guess this dream thread is moot now.....looks like Britton is pretty much a lock for us at 22.

BGB
04-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Percy Harvin is my dream pick and he will be the pick. People are blowing this weed thing way out of proportion. No NFL teams really care about it. On draft day you will be saying wow BGB called it.

Crazy_Chris
04-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Percy Harvin is my dream pick and he will be the pick. People are blowing this weed thing way out of proportion. No NFL teams really care about it. On draft day you will be saying wow BGB called it.

What do you mean no teams really care about this? That is completely wrong teams care about their players being able to pass random drug tests.

marshallb
04-22-2009, 04:48 PM

No teams care about it! really!, then why do they even do the tests if no teams care about it. Since he failed the test, he will be randonly tested now and would get a 4 game suspension out of it, I think teams will care if their first round draft pick is suspended for 4 games. I think there is a much better chance that he is our 2nd round pick than that he is our first rounder.

Wallzy
04-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Packer fan here...

I believe Percy Harvin is a perfect fit for the Vikes, and am praying u guys pass on him, but the other guy I think you should be targeting is pettigrew. Has he been discussed much? He would make your run blocking even better and would be the perfect outlet on the bootlegs and check-downs. He could catch 80 balls underneath with Berrian/Rice drawing coverage downfield off play-action.

You could either get Welker (Harvin) or Witten (Pettigrew) in this draft. Please, please, please grab Williamson (DHB) or ... looking for clever Britt comparison...and...I'm done.

BGB
04-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Packer fan here...

I believe Percy Harvin is a perfect fit for the Vikes, and am praying u guys pass on him, but the other guy I think you should be targeting is pettigrew. Has he been discussed much? He would make your run blocking even better and would be the perfect outlet on the bootlegs and check-downs. He could catch 80 balls underneath with Berrian/Rice drawing coverage downfield off play-action.

You could either get Welker (Harvin) or Witten (Pettigrew) in this draft. Please, please, please grab Williamson (DHB) or ... looking for clever Britt comparison...and...I'm done.

I dont think Pettigrew is really an option with us re signing Kliensasuer. I guess it's not totally out of the question but Jimmy K is already the best in the business at blocking and they like Shanko. Not sure how he would fit on the team.

Wallzy
04-24-2009, 11:28 AM
As a Packer fan, Shanko is among my favourite Vikings :)

General Zod
04-24-2009, 12:31 PM
It depends on which one shows up this season. If we get the shanko from the last 8 games of the season, Im ok with that, he played pretty well.

I just dont want the stonehands shanko like from the 24 games before that.

BGB
04-24-2009, 01:50 PM
It depends on which one shows up this season. If we get the shanko from the last 8 games of the season, Im ok with that, he played pretty well.

I just dont want the stonehands shanko like from the 24 games before that.

Yea I gues it is a little early to say that he couldn't revery right back to the stone hands that we have always known him as.

Crazy_Chris
04-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Visanthe played well at the end of last year. But I honestly wouldn't be too upset if someone like Chase Coffman or Cornelius Ingram happend to be there for the Vikings in the 3rd and they took them.