PDA

View Full Version : Donte Stallworth signs with Patriots

Jay
03-06-2007, 05:09 PM
www.nfl.com

Schefter: Stallworth agrees to deal with Patriots

It's weird, I click the link, and the story isn't about that...

BuckNaked
03-06-2007, 05:10 PM
Welker and Stallworth. They've got some good targets for Brady now.

Shiver
03-06-2007, 05:11 PM
I think the Patriots are gearing up to supplant the Colts atop the AFC. Now they have an upgrade at WR, with Welker and Stallworth, and at OLB with Thomas. They still have two first round picks to further improve themselves.

jblaze66
03-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Free agent wide receiver Donte Stallworth received an offer from the New England Patriots. He is scheduled to meet Wednesday with Titans officials in Tennessee and with the Dolphins on Thursday.

read a bit more closely before you post.

Kurve
03-06-2007, 05:12 PM
i wouldnt be suprised if they still go after randy moss

niel89
03-06-2007, 05:13 PM

what are you talking about gaffney was allpro in the play offs:D

but really those are really big improvements

Jay
03-06-2007, 05:13 PM

Read the front page of NFL.com before you post.

Handel
03-06-2007, 05:14 PM

It's weird, I click the link, and the story isn't about that...

You too. There is an error obviously. Either it is the real headlines but the content was not actualized or it is simply not true at all.

jblaze66
03-06-2007, 05:14 PM
Well that is the story the link takes you to.

bigmac076
03-06-2007, 05:15 PM
click the link and you'll see it says he received an OFFER from the Pats. Schefter is always fueling the fire.

BuckNaked
03-06-2007, 05:16 PM
i wouldnt be suprised if they still go after randy moss

Why wouldn't you? There is really no way that i saw them going after Moss in the first place. After this signing, it is a virtual lock that Randy Moss will not be traded to the Patriots.

jetsfan3
03-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Jesus christ the AFC East. Welcome Adalius Thomas, Joey Porter, Donte Stallworth, still waiting for more while our rivals sign studs and the Jets sit there and sign NOBODY.

Don Vito
This offseason has been pretty enjoyable as a Pats fan. I like Stallworth, I think he will do pretty well here. I still think we may take a WR at 28 though, although DB and ILB would be the ideal picks.

Jay
Gee... I wonder why I posted this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/JayMJ99/random/nflcom.jpg

TheFranchise
03-06-2007, 05:18 PM
NFL.com says agrees in the headline then in the story it says he was made an offer and is meeting with Miami and Tenn still. Someone there at NFL.com put the cart before the horse.

TheFranchise
03-06-2007, 05:19 PM
You see when someone has reached agreement with a team he puts it there. Just look at the Porter story in that same headline.

miamichamp_305
03-06-2007, 05:20 PM
NFL.com obviously screwed up, everywhere I go I see him getting an offer from the Pats, nothing about him actually agreeing. Plus, ESPN hasn't said anything.

BuckNaked
03-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Jesus christ the AFC East. Welcome Adalius Thomas, Joey Porter, Donte Stallworth, still waiting for more while our rivals sign studs and the Jets sit there and sign NOBODY.

You guys got Thomas Jones, stop your bitching.

SFbear
03-06-2007, 05:22 PM
I think the Patriots are gearing up to supplant the Colts atop the AFC. Now they have an upgrade at WR, with Welker and Stallworth, and at OLB with Thomas. They still have two first round picks to further improve themselves.

Losing to the Colts must have been like a kick in the balls for them. Theyve been going crazy in FA.

Eagles own the NFC East
03-06-2007, 05:23 PM
did he accept it or not fellas?

Jay
03-06-2007, 05:23 PM
NFL.com just changed the headline to:

Schefter: Stallworth receives contract offer from Patriots

But as anyone can see by the picture posted, it clearly said they agreed to terms...

jetsfan3
03-06-2007, 05:24 PM
You guys got Thomas Jones, stop your bitching.

We did get Thomas Jones . . . at the cost of moving down over 20 spots in the 2nd round.

Zim3031
03-06-2007, 05:26 PM

Go root for Washington if you don't like it. After all they sure did a lot better than the Jets did last year right? The Jets have already made their most important signing this offseason. Cotchery got his extension.

ElectricEye
03-06-2007, 05:26 PM
The local news just reported that he signed a six year deal. That's the only place I'm hearing that he signed though.

Go_Eagles77
03-06-2007, 05:27 PM
Gee... I wonder why I posted this:

Not trying to get an an argument or anything but I saw that same picture this morning on NFL.com and since than I haven't heard anyone else say anything about him actually signing, just visiting.

princefielder28
03-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Moss to green Bay????

LTgiants
03-06-2007, 05:29 PM
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

Philliez01
03-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Yeah, I was watching the local CBS news here and they were talking about how Stallworth "received" an offer but the Eagles could still get him (as they put it); but the Patriots deserve credit for this offseason; Stallworth, Gaffney (if he can keep it up) and Welker in the slot and Jackson waiting in the wings; solid.

d34ng3l021
03-06-2007, 05:36 PM
I saw this: RUMORS OF STALLWORTH DEAL ARE NOT ACCURATE

We've received e-mails from several readers who have heard rumors (apparently on radio stations in the Boston area) that receiver Donte' Stallworth and the Patriots have agreed to a six-year, $32 million contract, with $12 million in guaranteed money.

Per a league source, there is no agreement between Stallworth and New England, and there isn't likely to be a deal in the short term. For now, the plan is for Stallworth to follow his visit to Foxborough with a trip to Tennessee and then to Miami.

Also, the Eagles have reportedly made an offer to Stallworth. We've confirmed that an offer has been made, but we have not been able to finable any of the terms.

If the Eagles re-sign Stallworth, they won't be required to upgrade the fourth-round pick that they sent to the Saints as part of the 2006 trade for the receiver to a third-round pick. The enhancement was required, we're told, only if Stallworth had been re-signed before becoming a free agent.

jetsfan3
03-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Yeah, I was watching the local CBS news here and they were talking about how Stallworth "received" an offer but the Eagles could still get him (as they put it); but the Patriots deserve credit for this offseason; Stallworth, Gaffney (if he can keep it up) and Welker in the slot and Jackson waiting in the wings; solid.

Add Adalius Thomas to that list, he was the biggest one.

TitleTown088
03-06-2007, 05:41 PM
holy ****. Patriots are going to be a force to recken with.

Eagles own the NFC East
03-06-2007, 05:41 PM
So He Didnt Sign?

jblaze66
03-06-2007, 05:46 PM
So He Didnt Sign?
He hasn't officially signed yet.

ElectricEye
03-06-2007, 05:47 PM
So He Didnt Sign?

Conflicting reports. The local media is saying he did, but I haven't seen a link anywhere.

smittyjs
03-06-2007, 05:47 PM
He is Meeting with the Titans tomorrow

Eaglez.Fan
03-06-2007, 05:51 PM
"Stallworth still might also return to Philadelphia. But his decision is expected shortly"

It's not official at all

Larry
03-06-2007, 05:59 PM
It's been a while since the Pats have been this active.

DonWoods33
03-06-2007, 06:05 PM
http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet.com/view_content_0p.asp?ID=46287

This is out there says Rosenhaus is comfirming it.

ElectricEye
03-06-2007, 06:11 PM
http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet.com/view_content_0p.asp?ID=46287

This is out there says Rosenhaus is comfirming it.

Hope it's true. If it is...Wow.
Welker...Caldwell..Stallworth...Watson..Maroney... and if Gaffney can play as well as he did in the playoffs. Wow. We're going to have an awesome offense. And that's not even mentioning David Thomas, who came on strong last year. We're stacked. I still would have preferred Randy Moss though, but Stallworth is the type of guy we like. Very quick, and smaller. That's the type of guys that work well in our offense.

Vikes99ej
03-06-2007, 06:13 PM
I'm glad we don't face those guys again.

toonsterwu
03-06-2007, 06:18 PM
Well, it'll certainly be interesting to see what happens with it. If the Patriots sign Stallworth, that certainly allows them a lot of options and flexibility in the draft. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see them completely deal out of the first round (dealing both picks) if they are able to land Stallworth. Or, it allows them a "luxury" move, such as a Brian Leonard, or to stock DL talent for the near future, when changes will likely begin to happen up front.

As for the Jets, I think landing Thomas Jones at only the cost of a few draft spots was a good deal for them, and a significant move. If they can add someone like Marc Columbo along with perhaps a corner or a tight end, that would be a successful offseason.

bennybee38
03-06-2007, 06:21 PM
im glad i live in new england :) even though i dont like the pats all that much

DonWoods33
03-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Well, it'll certainly be interesting to see what happens with it. If the Patriots sign Stallworth, that certainly allows them a lot of options and flexibility in the draft. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see them completely deal out of the first round (dealing both picks) if they are able to land Stallworth. Or, it allows them a "luxury" move, such as a Brian Leonard, or to stock DL talent for the near future, when changes will likely begin to happen up front.

As for the Jets, I think landing Thomas Jones at only the cost of a few draft spots was a good deal for them, and a significant move. If they can add someone like Marc Columbo along with perhaps a corner or a tight end, that would be a successful offseason.

You couldn't see them move up, and try to acquire an elite talent like Landry or Revis? Kind of scary to think what Belichick could do with a talent like Landry at Safety

DeathbyStat
03-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Does this kill the Randy Moss thing

ElectricEye
03-06-2007, 06:26 PM
You couldn't see them move up, and try to acquire an elite talent like Landry or Revis? Kind of scary to think what Belichick could do with a talent like Landry at Safety

I would absolutely love to see us move up for Landry, even if we had to give up picking till the late 3rd to do it. Landry is an amazing prospect. Even without the elite workout numbers, he's the type of guy Belichick loves.

remix 6
03-06-2007, 06:29 PM
It's been a while since the Pats have been this active.

no. 2003, Rodney Harrison, Rosevelt Colvin got a big deal

2005 we offered Derrick Mason a nice contract but he took less for Baltimore b/c his wife didnt wanna come to New England(stupid *****)

and we had some big interest in Samari Rolle if i remember correctly but nothing happened. Dillon was a big move in '04

just everyone says were cheap and underestimate what we do. we sign players we need/fit what we want. might aswell start calling every team that hasnt had a big move yet cheap.

toonsterwu
03-06-2007, 06:33 PM
I guess it's possible the Patriots sell up that high, but I'm not sold on it. This is a team that values it's draft picks here, and with what has been long thought of as a weak draft, I've always thought there was a strong possibility they might deal down and accumulate future picks. They had the cap space this year to make the moves, but they also know in the near future, they'll need to start moving guys off to have continuity, and that'll involve future picks. On paper, next year's draft looks much better right now, and accumulating picks there could help ease the burden of potentially moving off guys like Bruschi/Harrison/Green/perhaps Light amongst others. The grades between late first talent and 2nd round talents aren't going to differentiate by much. With how they utilize safety talent, they might as well take a Reggie Nelson (don't think he'll be there, but there's a chance) or Michael Griffin, or to take a John Wendling/Eric Weddle type later on.

But that's my guess, and it's early, so it's all speculation.

Santos-Stanton47
03-06-2007, 06:36 PM
umm since when does Landry not have elite workout numbers, last i checked he ran a 4.35 with great measureables, and comes from one the best NFL ready schools, so what else do u need

he's a top 10 talent, for what reason should he slip to a spot we could trade up to, i have no idea, tho this would be a prayer, it could happen, and i would LOOOOVE IT!!! is he ONLY suited for FS cuz Eugene is young but injury prone and i think this will be harrisons last year

besides that, i really havent seen a news cast say something like EXAMPLE: "steelers offer McSally "6 yr $25 Mil Deal" and end up being turned down, i think he might see what else is out there and sign the deal, or he hasnt quite signed it, but agreed to terms

in my HONEST opinion i believe at the end of tomorrow, he will be a New England Patriot, making us the most dynamic, young, and explosive offense in the LEAGUE, i said it LEAGUE

ElectricEye
03-06-2007, 06:40 PM
umm since when does Landry not have elite workout numbers, last i checked he ran a 4.35 with great measureables, and comes from one the best NFL ready schools, so what else do u need

You misunderstood what I said. I was saying that even if Landry did not have the elite workout numbers, he would be on the Patriots radar. But that's a dream. I can't actually seeing us trading up for him. Still, we do have a ton of flexibility in the draft because of this signing.

hugegmenfan
03-06-2007, 06:41 PM
nooo god i hate the patriots

Windy
03-06-2007, 06:42 PM
this is from pft so who knows but it's interesting

POSTED 7:39 p.m. EST, March 6, 2007

STILL NO DEAL FOR STALLWORTH

Contrary to a report on ComcastSportsNet.com that receiver Donte' Stallworth has a deal with the New England Patriots, Profootballtalk.com has learned that there is no agreement.

ComcastSportsNet.com says that the deal was "confirmed . . . by the office of Drew Rosenhaus, Stallworth's agent."

Well, we tracked down Rosenhaus personally, and he told us: "There is no deal, and nothing is imminent."

Stallworth visited with the Patriots on Tuesday, and will next visit with the Titans, and then with the Dolphins. No decision on his next destination is expected until the end of the week, at the earliest.

DonWoods33
03-06-2007, 06:43 PM
I guess it's possible the Patriots sell up that high, but I'm not sold on it. This is a team that values it's draft picks here, and with what has been long thought of as a weak draft, I've always thought there was a strong possibility they might deal down and accumulate future picks. They had the cap space this year to make the moves, but they also know in the near future, they'll need to start moving guys off to have continuity, and that'll involve future picks. On paper, next year's draft looks much better right now, and accumulating picks there could help ease the burden of potentially moving off guys like Bruschi/Harrison/Green/perhaps Light amongst others. The grades between late first talent and 2nd round talents aren't going to differentiate by much. With how they utilize safety talent, they might as well take a Reggie Nelson (don't think he'll be there, but there's a chance) or Michael Griffin, or to take a John Wendling/Eric Weddle type later on.

But that's my guess, and it's early, so it's all speculation.

I didn't consider that. They could move down, and get seconds and thirds and such, and also picks next year. Certainly makes sense though, because of the job they do developing talent. Seems like they are really pushing to get back to the Superbowl with all this activity, and they realize its more competitive now then three, four years ago, when they started their run.

DonWoods33
03-06-2007, 06:47 PM
this is from pft so who knows but it's interesting

POSTED 7:39 p.m. EST, March 6, 2007

STILL NO DEAL FOR STALLWORTH

Contrary to a report on ComcastSportsNet.com that receiver Donte' Stallworth has a deal with the New England Patriots, Profootballtalk.com has learned that there is no agreement.

ComcastSportsNet.com says that the deal was "confirmed . . . by the office of Drew Rosenhaus, Stallworth's agent."

Well, we tracked down Rosenhaus personally, and he told us: "There is no deal, and nothing is imminent."

Stallworth visited with the Patriots on Tuesday, and will next visit with the Titans, and then with the Dolphins. No decision on his next destination is expected until the end of the week, at the earliest.

And the story continues. You would think the British Prime Minister was facing a no confidence vote, with all this mystery.

toonsterwu
03-06-2007, 06:48 PM
I didn't consider that. They could move down, and get seconds and thirds and such, and also picks next year. Certainly makes sense though, because of the job they do developing talent. Seems like they are really pushing to get back to the Superbowl with all this activity, and they realize its more competitive now then three, four years ago, when they started their run.

If they can get Stallworth and deal down to accumulate future picks, they could really be positioning themselves for a long, long run as a top level team. Their needs can be filled in the 2nd/3rd round, and accumulating future picks would allow them to leverage against some of the veterans that may eventually need to be moved. This is an organization that does a great job of thinking in the present, while being mindful of the future, and so far, it's been a solid offseason for them.

Really, the Patriots don't have any pressing needs that's first round worthy. Thomas allows them to groom LB's, Sanders allows them to groom safeties. SOmeone like Weddle would have the free safety versatility that Belichick likes, in case WIlson struggles, or they could go with the superb talent of Wendling while knowing he needs to be molded. Adding Welker/Stallworth would be good system moves while removing a need for immediate WR impact.

ElectricEye
03-06-2007, 06:50 PM
I don't trust everything I hear from Profootball Talk. I would be more apt to believe Comcastsportsnet. But that's not saying much. My opinion of that site is very low.
Still, this is getting pretty interesting. Well, as a Patriots fan, I just hope we get either him or Moss. I would still prefer Moss.

indyfan1985
03-06-2007, 06:50 PM

I dont this signing is true. If if is, the Pats much be on crack!! Why would they dish out 2 huge contracts to WRs that wouldnt even be #1 WRs on many other teams?? And WHERE ARE THEY GETTING THIS MONEY FROM?? They already signed Thomas and Welker to huge deals. I think Stallworth will end up in Tennesee.

MNRunLeft
03-06-2007, 06:53 PM
I'm still a little suprised that NE didn't want to resign Branch and instead have gone after 2 new WR's this offseason one with an injury history. Branch and Brady seemly got along well with one another so why not keep him? Is Welker or Stallworth an improvment over Branch? I don't think Welker is and I think Stallworth and Branch are somewhat equal.

ElectricEye
03-06-2007, 06:54 PM
I dont this signing is true. If if is, the Pats much be on crack!! Why would they dish out 2 huge contracts to WRs that wouldnt even be #1 WRs on many other teams?? And WHERE ARE THEY GETTING THIS MONEY FROM?? They already signed Thomas and Welker to huge deals. I think Stallworth will end up in Tennesee.

You don't need a true number one wide receiver to win in the NFL. We've won all these years with guys who would be 3's on most teams, with the exception of Branch who would be a 2 on most teams. In fact, if you follow the elite receivers, you won't find many rings. But Stallworth is a solid borderline 1.
As for the money, one of the things I was mad about last season was that we didn't made a major move...despite all our cap space. We we're like 20 million under the cap, or something like that.

toonsterwu
03-06-2007, 06:59 PM
I'm still a little suprised that NE didn't want to resign Branch and instead have gone after 2 new WR's this offseason one with an injury history. Branch and Brady seemly got along well with one another so why not keep him? Is Welker or Stallworth an improvment over Branch? I don't think Welker is and I think Stallworth and Branch are somewhat equal.

I think the answer to that is, relative to when the Branch situation was going on, the cost of keeping Branch, who is a marginal number 1 receiver, a solid number 2, and a great number 3, was too much relative to the organizational structure. Keep in mind that the salary cap rose this offseason substantially. In the end, I don't think anyone really feels that Branch was the difference between playing for a Super Bowl for them and sitting and watching, and the additional pick offers them quality future planning.

Larry
03-06-2007, 07:03 PM
no. 2003, Rodney Harrison, Rosevelt Colvin got a big deal

2005 we offered Derrick Mason a nice contract but he took less for Baltimore b/c his wife didnt wanna come to New England(stupid *****)

and we had some big interest in Samari Rolle if i remember correctly but nothing happened. Dillon was a big move in '04

just everyone says were cheap and underestimate what we do. we sign players we need/fit what we want. might aswell start calling every team that hasnt had a big move yet cheap.

2003 was a while ago.

Man_Of_Steel
03-06-2007, 07:04 PM
There you go Tom

KCJ58
03-06-2007, 07:07 PM
well u can throw Randy Moss's name to New England out the window

remix 6
03-06-2007, 07:08 PM
nothing offical. we offered 6 years $32 million i believe and hes going to visit with Golfins and Titans

#1chiefs_fan
03-06-2007, 07:35 PM
he hasn't signed yet. he still has to visit tennesse and miami

49erfaithful
03-06-2007, 07:50 PM
the Pats are really gearing up for another Super Bowl run

#1chiefs_fan
03-06-2007, 08:02 PM
super bowl ha

Komp
03-06-2007, 10:06 PM
Man the Pats are like 5 deep at WR already....Gaffney, Caldwell, Jackson, Troy Brown, Welker....if they do sign Stallworth I think they made a bad decision signing Welker as they overpaid for him as it is....They have 2-3 decent #2 WR's on their roster already.

TitanHope
03-06-2007, 10:17 PM
in my HONEST opinion i believe at the end of tomorrow, he will be a New England Patriot, making us the most dynamic, young, and explosive offense in the LEAGUE, i said it LEAGUE

I'll take Manning, Harrison, Wayne, and Addai over Brady, Stallworth, Gafney/Welker/Caldwell, and Maroney any day of the week. But who am I kidding? I'd be ecstatic with either.

JJJ888
03-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, let me suggest something we use often in my history class. It is called checking your sources. If one source reports something, you throw it out the window until another does. When a second source confirms that first report, then you take it into consideration. You do not consider it to be fact, however, unless there are three (legitimate) sources that report that the story is indeed true.

Seriously, we've seen a couple of false rumors already this offseason. Let's verify that our sources are correct before we throw the whole board into an uproar. And if you would like to post a rumor, please make note of that fact in the title, so we don't end up with people assuming that the title is absolute fact. A simple question mark will do.

Thank you and have a nice day.

niel89
03-06-2007, 10:42 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, let me suggest something we use often in my history class. It is called checking your sources. If one source reports something, you throw it out the window until another does. When a second source confirms that first report, then you take it into consideration. You do not consider it to be fact, however, unless there are three (legitimate) sources that report that the story is indeed true.

Seriously, we've seen a couple of false rumors already this offseason. Let's verify that our sources are correct before we throw the whole board into an uproar. And if you would like to post a rumor, please make note of that fact in the title, so we don't end up with people assuming that the title is absolute fact. A simple question mark will do.

TO traded for 2 1st rounders to the Pats. Source: My left foot :D

Caddy
03-06-2007, 11:43 PM
Does this kill the Randy Moss thing

If they do indeed sign Stallworht, yes it does kill the Randy Moss thing.

LonghornsLegend
03-07-2007, 01:03 AM
Hope it's true. If it is...Wow.
Welker...Caldwell..Stallworth...Watson..Maroney... and if Gaffney can play as well as he did in the playoffs. Wow. We're going to have an awesome offense. And that's not even mentioning David Thomas, who came on strong last year. We're stacked. I still would have preferred Randy Moss though, but Stallworth is the type of guy we like. Very quick, and smaller. That's the type of guys that work well in our offense.

david thomas is going to be really solid for you guys, may have led to releasing graham since thomas is a whole lot cheaper...he has excellent hands, he's just small as far as height is concerned...but he has been a top TE all the way since HS, i attended a nike camp with him back before the 01-02 season and he definately showed how much potential he has...i hope he gets a chance to get worked in....

and im just rooting for him to leave philly, id love if he came home to tennessee with vince, that would enable them to not go WR first rd, maybe wait 2nd for a sidney rice if they still felt the need...

Jay
03-07-2007, 08:35 AM

I don't think there is any more legit source than NFL.com. They ****** everything up. I went on THE LEAGUES website and the story said "Schefter: Patriots agrees to deal with Patriots." This guy writes for THE LEAGUES website and is on THE LEAGUES TV network. On top of that, he has been dead on all offseason. If you went to NFL.com and saw this on the main page and were a fan of the Patriots, you'd get excited too:

It's not like I read some rumor somewhere, right there, the lead headline on the news column in the right. How much official should it have been? How did I know they screwed up? And then took it down less than an hour later...

portermvp84
03-07-2007, 09:47 AM
Wow, the Pats are going to be on fire next season. They have a good shot on going to the SB. Good signing Tom Brady finally has a number one WR.

eaglesalltheway
03-07-2007, 10:01 AM
He hasn't signed it, they just offered him a contract.

Finsfan79
03-07-2007, 10:26 AM
This title should be changed to "he was offered a contract from the pats"

Not he is signed by the pats

He will look good in aqua and orange across from Chris Chambers :)

bsaza2358
03-07-2007, 10:48 AM
If a player leaves a city without a contract, that is generally not great news for that city. That being said, 6 years/$32mm is better than the Eagles are likely to offer. IMO, it's also too much for a WR with chronic hamstring issues who has only played 1 full season in the NFL...

cordscords
03-07-2007, 10:54 AM
If a player leaves a city without a contract, that is generally not great news for that city. That being said, 6 years/$32mm is better than the Eagles are likely to offer. IMO, it's also too much for a WR with chronic hamstring issues who has only played 1 full season in the NFL...

2 full seasons. He played all 16 in 2004 and 2005.

bsaza2358
03-07-2007, 10:56 AM
I stand corrected. Regardless, his consistent issues with hamstring pulls due to congenital issues remain a concern.

jkpigskin
03-07-2007, 11:42 AM
great move by the pats... their offense is going to be exciting

Jay
03-11-2007, 09:02 AM
May have been a few days early, but the end result is the same. Just pumped about this. :)

BehrenMan007
03-11-2007, 09:18 AM
dammmitttttt

princefielder28
03-11-2007, 10:07 AM
Patriots have put themselves back in elite company with the Colts in the AFC

Flyboy
03-11-2007, 10:16 AM
It could potentially be a good move for NE as he brings game-changing speed to their offense. But, still... that's a lot of money for a WR that is injured most of the time and is still a bit inconsistent.

jblaze66
03-11-2007, 10:43 AM
It could potentially be a good move for NE as he brings game-changing speed to their offense. But, still... that's a lot of money for a WR that is injured most of the time and is still a bit inconsistent.
QFT, thats alot of guaranteed money to throw at a player with his kind of injury history. I thought he would really be forced to sign a 1-year deal and try to clear up that stigma.

NGSeiler
03-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Kind of interesting they signed him to a contract only slightly smaller than what Seattle gave Branch.

remix 6
03-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Kind of interesting they signed him to a contract only slightly smaller than what Seattle gave Branch.

kind of weird got the salaries increased what? 15-20 mill per team?

ATLDirtyBirds
03-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Great move by them, they have by far the best offseason.

Jay
03-11-2007, 11:30 AM
STALLWORTH TO PATS, BUT NOT FOR $12 MILLION GUARANTEED

Michael Smith of ESPN.com reports that receiver Donte' Stallworth has agreed to terms with the Patriots. But, contrary to the report, the deal does not include $12 million in guaranteed money. And it is not a straight six-year deal.

Instead, a league source tells us that it's a one-year deal with an option for a second year, and then an option for four more years.

In year one, Stallworth gets $1 million to sign, a workout bonus of $300,000, a base salary of $700,000, and a $1.6 million roster bonus payable if he makes the 53-man roster at the start of the reason.

Stallworth also can earn up to $400,000 in incentives. He'll get $100,000 if he catches 70 passes, another $100,000 if he catches 75 passes, another $100,000 if he catches 80 passes, and $100,000 if he is on the Pro Bowl team.

A $6 million option bonus is due shortly before the start of the 2008 league year, but after the deadline for designating franchise players. This requires the team to either pick up the option, or to allow Stallworth to hit the market unfettered by the franchise tag.

In 2008, there's also a $2 million roster bonus due on the first day of the league year, a $400,000 workout bonus, a $1 million base salary, and a $1.6 million roster bonus payable if he makes the season-opening 53-man roster.

In 2009, there's a $2 million option bonus, payable after the franchise tag deadline but before the start of the league year. If the option is exercised, the deal runs through 2012.

Also in 2009, Stallworth will receive a $400,000 workout bonus, a $1 million base salary, and a $1.6 million roster bonus based on making the season-opening 53-man roster.

In 2010 through 2012, the deal has the same terms in each year: $500,000 workout bonus and $4 million salary.

In all, it's a one-year $3.6 million deal that can be worth up to $4 million, or a two-year, $14.6 million deal that can be worth as much as $15 million, or a three-year, $19.6 million deal that can be worth as much as $20 million.

The Pats can then add on additional years at $4.5 million each, with a maximum contract value of $33.5 million.

But the only truly guaranteed money is $1 million. Not $12 million.

The question was asked in the other thread if the Pats were done and out of money... not by a longshot!!!!!!

NGSeiler
03-11-2007, 11:35 AM
kind of weird got the salaries increased what? 15-20 mill per team?

...in English please?

All I'm pointing out is that it's interesting that they wouldn't pay Branch and traded him only to sign Stallworth to a deal of similar total value.

toonsterwu
03-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Well, that makes much more sense.

Jay
03-11-2007, 11:36 AM
...in English please?

All I'm pointing out is that it's interesting that they wouldn't pay Branch and traded him only to sign Stallworth to a deal of similar total value.

Works out for us, we get a similar player for less money and a #1 pick...

NGSeiler
03-11-2007, 11:41 AM
Upon seeing the contract terms, that's much more favorable than the initial figures would have you believe, I agree.

remix 6
03-11-2007, 11:47 AM
...in English please?

im saying
-the cap increased so everyone is getting paid more. if Branch was in this market..he would be asking for more because he can command more. you really think Clements and others would have gotten that big of a contracts in last year's salary?

-Stallworth has options..this year he will make $3.6 million and then has option for 2 or 4 more years. thats cheaper than Deion.

49ersfan_87
03-11-2007, 12:04 PM
Im not a fan of stallworth, but this was a well designed contract. Its full of roster bonueses and option bonuses, and correct me if im wrong, the pats can cut him after 1 year with no cap hit, right?

Stallworth might have his breakout season with brady now.

Don Vito
03-11-2007, 12:32 PM
david thomas is going to be really solid for you guys, may have led to releasing graham since thomas is a whole lot cheaper...he has excellent hands, he's just small as far as height is concerned...but he has been a top TE all the way since HS, i attended a nike camp with him back before the 01-02 season and he definately showed how much potential he has...i hope he gets a chance to get worked in....

and im just rooting for him to leave philly, id love if he came home to tennessee with vince, that would enable them to not go WR first rd, maybe wait 2nd for a sidney rice if they still felt the need...

I really like Thomas and he made some great catches when given the opporitunity this year. He is a receiving TE though, whereas Graham was a big-time blocker and a good receiver as well. I don't think he pushed Graham out of NE. Thomas played some fullback, slot receiver, and TE and did well. I really like him and he could do some good things. He is actually a pretty good blocker for a 6-3 230 pound TE.

As for the Stallworth signing, I like it. He is the most proven receiver (aside from Troy Brown) on our roster now. He should be the number one guy in '07. If Chad Jackson returns healthy this is how I see the depth chart.
1.Stallworth
2.Caldwell
3.Welker
4.Jackson
5.Gaffney
That is a pretty decent WR corps, plus Watson and Thomas as receiving TE's. Gaffney was impressive towards the end of last year and could see more throws his way in '07, and Caldwell was solid until the playoffs.

703SKINS202
03-11-2007, 12:44 PM
im not sold on this but its the pats so it will most liekly work out for them

Moses
03-11-2007, 01:55 PM
I love how Eagles fans were convinced that "there is no chance that Stallworth will leave Philadelphia". It's the NFL. Anything can, and will happen.

jetsfan3
03-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Patriots have put themselves back in elite company with the Colts in the AFC

Since when were they not in elite company?

Non_Sequitur
03-11-2007, 03:06 PM

The Jets still have a better tandem, but I'm still hating the fact that they now have a legit pair of WR.

AFC East WR's:

1. Laveranues Coles
2. Chris Chambers
3. Donte Stallworth
4. Jerricho Cotchery
5. Lee Evans
6. Wes Welker

remix 6
03-11-2007, 04:20 PM
The Jets still have a better tandem, but I'm still hating the fact that they now have a legit pair of WR.

AFC East WR's:

1. Laveranues Coles
2. Chris Chambers
3. Donte Stallworth
4. Jerricho Cotchery
5. Lee Evans
6. Wes Welker

Welker is gonna be the slot..hes better suited there. you have the better starting tandem we have the etter corps

^btw Chambers #2 in AFC East? if he can catch and run anything better than a fade..maybe

AFC East WRs
------------
1. Coles
2. Evans
3. Stallworth
4. Cotchery
5. Chambers
6. Caldwell

Non_Sequitur
03-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Welker is gonna be the slot..hes better suited there. you have the better starting tandem we have the etter corps

^btw Chambers #2 in AFC East? if he can catch and run anything better than a fade..maybe

AFC East WRs
------------
1. Coles
2. Evans
3. Stallworth
4. Cotchery
5. Chambers
6. Caldwell

Chambers has mad talent, he's just had too much turnover at QB.

remix 6
03-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Chambers has mad talent, he's just had too much turnover at QB.

i know hes very talented and makes some crazy catches but he doesnt excel in route running and his hands are average/barely above average

talent doesnt make u a great WR if u dont get it together...if we based it on "talent" then Jackson is #1 :) but he hasnt learned the playbook so we have to wait :(

LonghornsLegend
03-12-2007, 01:04 AM
what do you guys intend to do with jackson, as far as his role, he ran alot of reverses last year for you guys

Handel
03-12-2007, 01:08 AM
what do you guys intend to do with jackson, as far as his role, he ran alot of reverses last year for you guys

He still has to heal and learn better the play book.

Non_Sequitur
03-12-2007, 02:20 AM
i know hes very talented and makes some crazy catches but he doesnt excel in route running and his hands are average/barely above average

talent doesnt make u a great WR if u dont get it together...if we based it on "talent" then Jackson is #1 :) but he hasnt learned the playbook so we have to wait :(

Chris Chambers and Chad Jackson had the same 40 time coming out of college...

Chambers had a FAR better jumping ability (38.5 compared to 45.0 and 10.5 compared to 11.5). The rest of the catagories one or the other didn't do coming out.

So by the numbers, Chambers is more talented than Jackson. =P

KCJ58
03-12-2007, 02:38 AM
great sign (i hate the patriots)

omecool20
03-12-2007, 03:58 AM
I'd be honest and say that rest of AFC East n the NFL should be plain scared of the Pats moves so far. If the new players and their draft picks settle in quickly, they are going to come back strong.

Caddy
03-12-2007, 03:59 AM
I'd be honest and say that rest of AFC East n the NFL should be plain scared of the Pats moves so far. If the new players and their draft picks settle in quickly, they are going to come back strong.

Yeh, they have definitely taken the right steps to improve the franchise. Particularly with signing Stallworth and Thomas.

Jay
03-12-2007, 07:02 AM

Allow him to learn and not rush him. As was already said, he has to get healthy and actually learn the playbook first...

portermvp84
03-12-2007, 09:56 AM
This really gives Tom Brady a deep threat an actaul number one guy. Good signing. Good to see the Patriots opened their pocket book a little thinner.

smittyjs
03-12-2007, 04:49 PM
He turned down more money from the Titans to join the Pats, what a *****....

49ersfan_87
03-12-2007, 04:51 PM

Championship discount.

Non_Sequitur
03-13-2007, 03:07 AM
Championship discount.

Brady discount.

my future me
03-13-2007, 08:58 AM

He'll put up better #s with Pats then with the Titans for the big contract next year

portermvp84
03-13-2007, 09:45 AM

Young to Stallworth would be sick.

LonghornsLegend
03-13-2007, 12:31 PM
are the pats still going WR rd 1?

P-L
03-13-2007, 01:21 PM
are the pats still going WR rd 1?

I doubt it. After signing three receivers this off-season and drafting one in the 2nd Round last year, I think they wait to draft one.

Jay
03-15-2007, 09:54 PM
I don't see any way the Pats take a WR on day one... unless Calvin Johnson falls to them... which isn't happening...