PDA

View Full Version : Did sports ruin ESPN?

steelersfan43
03-29-2009, 07:52 PM
It seems like nowadays everyone hates on espn, and I cant help but thinking that sports is the reason why. For example, with the recent jay cutler happenings a lot of people are criticizing espn for blowing it out of proportion and trying to make a story out of nothing. If jay cutler and the nfl didnt exist then espn would not be being criticized so much. There are numerous other examples out there, such as T.O. situations and Michael vick.

I feel that sports are severely damaging the image of ESPN, what are your thoughts?

Also I was talking to my granpa and he told me that back before there was sports in between commercials everyone loved espn.

Mr. Stiller
03-29-2009, 08:05 PM
I think you have it backwards.

ESPN tries to ruin sports.

Crickett
03-29-2009, 08:06 PM
I was wondering how long it was going to take for someone to post this thread.

steelersfan43
03-29-2009, 08:10 PM
I think you have it backwards.

ESPN tries to ruin sports.

Im confused.

'tis satire my friend

Brodeur
03-29-2009, 08:14 PM
This is my new favorite thread title.

CroomDawgs
03-29-2009, 08:35 PM
The point of ESPN is to broadcast sports.....

Bosanac01
03-29-2009, 08:35 PM
WTF are you talking about, eggs?

WMD
03-29-2009, 08:36 PM
ESPN was on its way to being a quality channel until Sports came along...

MetSox17
03-29-2009, 08:38 PM
Lmao, i have an idea where the original intent of the thread was, but just horrible execution. ESPN without sports would not be ESPN. It would be... E...PN?

Them trying to ***** out things they feel are "popular" or "hot topics" is what is ruining their network. The fact that they hire anybody with a pulse that has an inkling of pro experience to be an "expert" is ruining them.

skinzzfan25
03-29-2009, 08:39 PM
Those damn sports...

Ruining such a good station.

steelersfan43
03-29-2009, 08:51 PM
Those damn sports...

Ruining such a good station.

I know right? Im glad you guys agree with me.

mqtirishfan
03-29-2009, 08:54 PM
I'm not sure how you go about "ruining ESPN", but no I don't believe sports has ruined anything. It's definitely the 800lb gorilla when it comes to what ESPN covers, but it is not the end all and be all. Like any other game, competition or athletic event, it's just another source for you to get the entertainment.

Paul
03-29-2009, 08:56 PM
I'm not sure how you go about "ruining ESPN", but no I don't believe sports has ruined anything. It's definitely the 800lb gorilla when it comes to what ESPN covers, but it is not the end all and be all. Like any other game, competition or athletic event, it's just another source for you to get the entertainment.

What he said.

jj45
Why is everyone answering one part of the question. I don't think espn killed sports commericals did

Brodeur
Well ESPN should have just stuck with what the network was built on in Poodles (hence the name Eccentric Spoodle Poodle Network). But the cache of sports got to them.

TheBuffaloBills
03-29-2009, 09:13 PM
I am thoroughly confused. What is going on?

steelersfan43
03-29-2009, 09:19 PM
I think Brodeur Is the only one who gets it.

mqtirishfan
03-29-2009, 09:24 PM
I think Brodeur Is the only one who gets it.

Don't worry, I'm sure there's a solid group who enjoyed your satire.

Brodeur
03-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Don't worry, I'm sure there's a solid group who enjoyed your satire.

Ignore this guy Steelers, he's just upset that he lives in the completely worthless Upper Peninsula.

mqtirishfan
03-29-2009, 09:35 PM
Ignore this guy Steelers, he's just upset that he lives in the completely worthless Upper Peninsula.

This one is just upset that the Pistons might not make the playoffs this year.

The_Dude
03-29-2009, 09:48 PM
ESPN is turning into MTV.

Soon, there will be no sports on ESPN, just reality shows.

jj45
03-29-2009, 09:58 PM
I wish espn still had sport programs like when they had playmakers I think that was the perfect show
Why did cancel that again didn't the NFL complain

CashmoneyDrew
03-29-2009, 10:27 PM
I wish espn still had sport programs like when they had playmakers I think that was the perfect show
Why did cancel that again didn't the NFL complain

Playmakers would've been excellent if it had been on showtime or HBO or something. It didn't have a chance of lasting on ESPN.

PACKmanN
03-29-2009, 10:51 PM
ESPN was on its way to being a quality channel until Sports came along...

damn that thing they call sports.

jj45
03-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Stupid disney, I think I heard the nfl was upset about the content. I think sense they kinda looked like the panthers and they guys doing drugs , guys doing guys, players being treated like crap by management. Basically what happens in the pros( I don't think gayness but hey its a free country I have n.p just want to make that clear) the nfl hard time having that show on tv

mqtirishfan
03-29-2009, 11:24 PM
Stupid disney, I think I heard the nfl was upset about the content. I think sense they kinda looked like the panthers and they guys doing drugs , guys doing guys, players being treated like crap by management. Basically what happens in the pros( I don't think gayness but hey its a free country I have n.p just want to make that clear) the nfl hard time having that show on tv

Even if the NFL was fine with it, that kind of show simply can't exist fully on basic cable. Too many restrictions on content.

jj45
03-29-2009, 11:45 PM
True but that was my favorite show and they killed it and I haven't seen omar gooding act sense. And I heard players liked it. I also remember espn showed sports movies like junction boys and hoosiers now u have to watch classics they have so much run time when nothing big is going on u can spend a commerical break showing updates. Its is like mtv I hate seeing 4 channels showing the same thing and watching sport center back to back to back .

7-11
03-29-2009, 11:58 PM
Haha, really enjoying all the people taking the original topic seriously.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-31-2009, 10:37 AM
ESPNs overplaying the drama stories and wanting to be first on reporting rumors(mainly on Sportscenter) is whats ruining ESPN's credibiltiy for the NFL at least. Other spots they stick to the highlights for the most part except baseball sometimes they'll get into the drama. We all see the TO headline clip or the Favre clip and are like not this **** again.

Might have to do with the NFL Network which striclty sticks to breaking down the game and better analysis for the most part. Plus as was mentioned, they appear to be lacking in the "expert" category compared to the NFL network. Sure some guys have to be tv people Chirs Berman(whoop), but guys like John Clatyon just ruin ****. Its clear that guy is just a giant nerd that nobody likes. The more tv people the worse you are when it comes to sports reporting it seems. I don't know why I prefer Schefter and Glazer for Fox over the non NFL people at ESPN but I just do for some reason. Maybe because they are more accurate. I'd prefer more people that played the game but thats just me. Although NFL countdown is still decent at times but MNF is a joke.

Its not sports fault. Its the shift in media and some peoples tastes when it comes to "news".

Javes
03-31-2009, 10:48 AM
I don't know if you guys are familiar with the internet but satire is fairly prominent.

FlyingElvis
03-31-2009, 01:33 PM
rofl. This thread delivers.

Tell your granpa to go suck eggs. Comparing ESPN pre & post commercials is futile. We all know ESPN is using steroids and HGH, which is why they covered up that fiasco for so long.

BPhilb
03-31-2009, 01:43 PM
ESPN has been on a downhill run ever since they stopped broadcasting Australian Rules Football and the America's Cup. Replacing them with baseball, football, and baseketball has absolutley ruined sports.

Go_Eagles77
03-31-2009, 01:45 PM
lol at everyone who thought he was serious.

Crickett
03-31-2009, 02:02 PM
ESPN has been on a downhill run ever since they stopped broadcasting Australian Rules Football and the America's Cup. Replacing them with baseball, football, and baseketball has absolutley ruined sports.

A friend of mine who lives in Australis has been trying to get me to watch Australian rules football, but I can't find it anywhere. :(

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
03-31-2009, 02:29 PM
Sad attempt at satire. I encourage everyone to neg rep eggs.

Fogartynyy2789
03-31-2009, 02:56 PM
All I know is ESPN went downhill when they got rid of Playmakers.