PDA

View Full Version : Defense Against a Balanced Offense (BBall)

Jelephant87
03-30-2009, 11:15 PM
My intramural basketball team needs a win this week to stay in playoff contention. Unfortunately we're playing a team that is 5-0. We've been running a 2-3 zone pretty successfully the last few weeks but here's my question. I don't know how the team we're playing is behind the arc, but I know they are very balanced and don't really have one or two "superstars". What defense is best to play against this type of team?

CashmoneyDrew
03-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Depends. Do they get most of their points in the paint or from jump shots/three pointers? And how is your team compared to theirs size wise?

Edit: I'm stupid. I didn't read it too well the first time. I took it as you saying they score with balance meaning that all their guys score equally well. Now I'm reading it like they score just as well from 3 as they do in the paint.

If that's the case then I'd just say stick to whatever defense you guys have been running best and just keep it simple. Play to your strengths unless you can somehow see them play before the upcoming game to scout them out more.

Jelephant87
03-30-2009, 11:22 PM
Most of their points came in the paint, however the game I watched them they were playing the worst team in the league so I'm not sure if that was just because of the poor defense....In relation to size, our bigs matchup well but our other 3 guys are relatively short compared to theirs.

JF4
03-31-2009, 11:23 AM
I didn't know people strategize so heavily for intramurals.

bored of education
03-31-2009, 11:28 AM
Take them to a bar before the game and get them really drunk.

Mr. Hero
03-31-2009, 11:30 AM
Take them behind the gym and get em pregnant.

CashmoneyDrew
03-31-2009, 11:40 AM

When my flag football team gets a chance we scout our opponents and gameplan accordingly. We practice like twice, sometimes three times a week.

CJSchneider
03-31-2009, 11:45 AM
When my flag football team gets a chance we scout our opponents and gameplan accordingly. We practice like twice, sometimes three times a week.

My ROTC team planned big time in IM sports.

Shane P. Hallam
03-31-2009, 11:59 AM
Against a team that scores it around, I think sticking with the 2-3 zone is the best bet. It depends on your players too. If you have a weaker defender or two, then going man to try and stop everyone at once may crush you. If you have those good perimeter defenders in the 2-3, I think you can force the other team into taking bad shots they don't want to take. You can be successful there.

Jelephant87
03-31-2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I would say that all of our guys are above average defenders but since we only have 5, we went to the zone to save some energy. I guess we'll just stick with the 2-3 and see if we can pull of the upset.

bantx
03-31-2009, 01:29 PM

My team does the same.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
03-31-2009, 01:32 PM

I guess we Canadians are intramural slackers :confused: :confused: :confused:

But here's what you do. First possession, let them drive straight to the hoop. Get your biggest, meanest guy to foul the **** out of him when he gets there. I'm not talking ticky tack. I mean destroy him. Then play aggressively knowing they won't do that again.

Brent
03-31-2009, 01:35 PM
What defense is best to play against this type of team?
http://www.survivalbox.co.uk/images/sm%20Crowbar.jpg

Matthew Jones
03-31-2009, 03:53 PM
Have a "goon" handy?

tjsunstein
03-31-2009, 04:12 PM
Have a "goon" handy?

What's a goon to a goblin?
Nothing. Nothing. You ain't scaring nothing.
On some ****** bullshnit.
Call him Dennis Rodman.
- Lil Wayne

Apparently goblins are more feared. Or he could've been on some other stuff.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
03-31-2009, 04:35 PM
What's a goon to a goblin?
Nothing. Nothing. You ain't scaring nothing.
On some ****** bullshnit.
Call him Dennis Rodman.
- Lil Wayne

Apparently goblins are more feared. Or he could've been on some other stuff.

http://img2.moonbuggy.org/imgstore/sense--this-picture-makes-none.jpg

badgerbacker
03-31-2009, 05:30 PM
Every time I see this thread out of the corner of my eye I think it is Defense Against the Dark Arts. When I realize that it isn't, I am disappointed.

That being said, I'm not a huge basketball guy, but assuming your team isn't full of all-stars, you'd probably be best off sticking with the defense that you've used.

Fogartynyy2789
03-31-2009, 05:45 PM
Stick with what you've been doing, if there point is weak, press early. You can always modify the zone to account for their best guy.

And if the IM refs suck like they do here, foul them, they won't get many calls.

Tampa 2 4 life
03-31-2009, 06:06 PM
2-3 sounds good to me, just be wary of getting slashed to death.

CashmoneyDrew
03-31-2009, 08:10 PM
2-3 sounds good to me, just be wary of getting slashed to death.

Guys shouldn't be slashing through your zone if you're running it well enough.

JUICE da Block Captain
03-31-2009, 08:14 PM
Why not just man up? Zone D is weak.

CashmoneyDrew
03-31-2009, 09:29 PM
Why not just man up? Zone D is weak.

I find that people who rip on the zone defense are usually the suckers that can't shoot their way out of it. :p