PDA

View Full Version : Bly to washington...Rumor

KILLERSANTA
03-06-2007, 06:08 PM
The Washington Post's Redskins blog believes a Dre Bly deal to Washington is still in play, and it could involve the team's No. 6 overall pick.
Denver has destroyed Washington in a few previous trades. In this scenario, Denver would send Bly, their first-round pick, a mid-round pick and change for the No. 6 overall pick. Shawn Springs would then be moved from Washington. It appears the two sides continue to talk.

http://rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

BehrenMan007
03-06-2007, 06:12 PM
very interesting... i'm guessing this would be to get adams or anderson

Shiver
03-06-2007, 06:14 PM
The annual Broncos 'rape and pillage' of the Redskins' front office, not too surprising.

Windy
03-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Denver with a top 10 pick?...no thank you.

Number 10
03-06-2007, 06:20 PM
If the Skins give up the #6 pick for a mediocre #2 CB, I'd be shocked.

Ok fine, I wouldn't be,

KILLERSANTA
03-06-2007, 06:21 PM
The annual Broncos 'rape and pillage' of the Redskins' front office, not too surprising.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/6762/lmao21zd.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Spek

toonsterwu
03-06-2007, 06:24 PM
If the Redskins could get that deal, they need to pull the trigger ASAP. Why?

Value wise, it's okay. I liked Shawn Springs ... in his prime. I'm not a big fan of Dre Bly. But Bly has better value than Springs right now. The difference between the 6 and 21 picks is around 800 points, and depending on the midround pick, the value is fine.

But the main reason is, there's been indications that Springs isn't going to rework. Bly gives them a better player, and coupled with the Smoot signing, gives them some secondary depth that they lacked last year. I didn't like the Fletcher-Baker signing, but the one thing it did do was to provide depth, as Rocky McIntosh likely waits another year to become a starter. That gives them depth at 2 key areas where it was somewhat lacking last year at times (CB moreso than LB).

The midround pick would summarily give them the chance to add a solid guard talent, and the first rounder could still be used on DL talent.

toonsterwu
very interesting... i'm guessing this would be to get adams or anderson

I don't see Adams being there at 6. If the Broncos want to roll the dice on Anderson at 6 ...

DeathbyStat
The Redskins are ******** if they go through with this

bored of education
03-06-2007, 06:30 PM
If the Skins give up the #6 pick for a mediocre #2 CB, I'd be shocked.

Ok fine, I wouldn't be,

they would give up their 1.21, maybe 3.86 and Dre Bly to the Skins for 1.6. That gives the Skin immediate help at Cb along with another draft pick since they only have 1.6 a 5,6,7th round draft pick.

denver still has a 2,3,5,6,7 after that trade but that trade would allow them to get Jamaal Anderson, maybe Gaines Adams or reach for Carriker. Then line them up for a DT later. or grab Branch or Okoye then grab a DE later like: Crowder, Woodley, Moses or Atkins maybe even Abimari or C Johnson.

Vikes99ej
03-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Whatever makes Gaines Adams still there for us at 7 makes me happy.

toonsterwu
03-06-2007, 06:43 PM
I'm reading the Jason LaCanfora blog on the situation (very solid beat writer, replaced another good one in Nunyo Demasio).

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2007/03/more_dre_bly.html?nav=rss_blog

The trade that LaCanfora speculates on is

"So, I still think there is a very good chance we see Bly come to DC, along with Denver's first-round pick, and second- and/or third-round pick, plus maybe a conditional late round pick, in exchange for the 6th overall pick."

which is a heck of a deal for Washington. He comments that Springs would later be dealt to Detroit, Arizona, Baltimore, with Washington hoping for Okoye at 21 (I doubt he's there unless I've gotten a tremendously horrid read on everything, which is possible since I haven't been as in tune this year, but I still doubt it). He closes with the intriguing comment of

"And trust me, I am not going to put everything I know out there right now, but the Skins could make this happen cap-wise, with little problem."

He seems fairly certain that there's a high probability a deal between the two sides will go down. I will say this - if the deal is as he's speculated, the Redskins need to pull the trigger ASAP ... even if it's the 3rd and not the 2nd. And if the Skins could subsequently pull another deal off for Springs, that'd be a heck of a offseason when things were supposed to quiet. For a change, these would be somewhat smart moves for the Skins, which may go in line with the rumors that the personnel power in the FO has somewhat shifted itself.

toonsterwu
03-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Um, it's not a deal I suggested. It's what LaCanfora wrote in his blog.

And for all the bashing of the Bailey deal at the time, I still believe it was a solid value deal for the Redskins (people always forget to factor in future value in the equation).

bored of education
03-06-2007, 07:00 PM
True toonster, Portis at that time was on the same or greater level at the time as Bailey . esp in the future.

Man_Of_Steel
03-06-2007, 07:04 PM
very interesting. This FA period is becoming more in interesting everyday.

toonsterwu
03-06-2007, 07:06 PM
True toonster, Portis at that time was on the same or greater level at the time as Bailey . esp in the future.

People forget now that, at the time, in that final year in D.C. (2003), most observers felt that Fred Smoot had a better year than Champ Bailey, and that Fred Smoot was better in coverage. It's laughable now, and it's fair to ask how much Bailey helped Smoot, but, if you go over that year again, Bailey wasn't as dominant. People have off years, though, and that was certainly looking to simply be a hiccup in Champ's career.

goblue8888
03-06-2007, 07:14 PM
If the skins give us the 6th for our 1st, early 3rd, and bly i would do it.

goblue8888
03-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Another thing if the broncos do get that pick and peterson falls i could see shanny taking him.

NIN1984
03-06-2007, 07:19 PM
awful deal for the Redskins

elway777
03-06-2007, 07:19 PM
#6? hhmmm I would like Branch,Adams, maybe even Landry... :)

goblue8888
03-06-2007, 07:24 PM
for our entire draft? no thanks.

It would just be either our second or early third.

21ST
03-06-2007, 07:33 PM
If we can get a 2nd we should take it without hesitation

Windy
03-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Rotoworld.com

Ladell Betts-RB-Redskins Mar. 6 - 7:28 pm et

NFL Network's Adam Shefter reports that the Broncos have asked for Ladell Betts in exchange for Dre' Bly.
The Broncos are also reportedly talking to the Saints. Other reports say Denver is interested in Washington's first-round pick. The news about Betts is interesting considering Denver just paid big money to Travis Henry. But it's a typical Mike Shanahan move; He's not afraid to acquire an extra quality running back.

elway777
03-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Ladell Betts for Dre Bly? lol that's garbage, we just signed Travis Henry.It would have to come with a pick.

Staubach12
03-06-2007, 07:40 PM

Haha. I agree.

goblue8888
03-06-2007, 07:41 PM
i'm assuming you missed the 'and' part of and/or as well as the "maybe a late round conditional pick".

No i saw that but thats just wishful thinking by the reporter.

elway777
03-06-2007, 07:42 PM
i'm assuming you missed the 'and' part of and/or as well as the "maybe a late round conditional pick".

meaning what? 6th, or 7th?

21ST
03-06-2007, 07:48 PM
If we could get rid of ladell betts that would be great

elway777
03-06-2007, 07:49 PM
That Ladell Betts rumor disgusts me.

21ST
03-06-2007, 07:50 PM
That Ladell Betts rumor disgusts me.

It should, he is a horrible RB

goblue8888
03-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Well no way then shanny gives up all that it would either be the 2nd OR 3rd rd pick plus bly and the first for the 6th. We have to many needs to give all that up.

Number 10
03-06-2007, 07:55 PM
It should, he is a horrible RB

He looked pretty solid last year, Skins fans here were raving about him.

You locked him up for 5 years for pretty cheap and he really isn't that much worse than Portis.

bored of education
03-06-2007, 07:59 PM
If i was the Bronco's I wouldn't mind trading 1.21, 3.86 and Bly for Redskins 1.6. Giving Broncos still a 1,2,3,5,6,7.

goblue8888
03-06-2007, 08:01 PM
If i was the Bronco's I wouldn't mind trading 1.21, 3.86 and Bly for Redskins 1.6. Giving Broncos still a 1,2,3,5,6,7.

I would also do that trade but i wouldnt give up 3 first day picks plus bly. I would only give 2 plus bly.

21ST
03-06-2007, 08:02 PM

You locked him up for 5 years for pretty cheap and he really isn't that much worse than Portis.

Well you just proved you dont watch the redskins so there is no need in me even trying to explain

bored of education
03-06-2007, 08:03 PM
2 plus Bly ain't bad esp. if you dont have to pay Bly anything.

draftguru151
03-06-2007, 08:08 PM

All I heard out of Redskins fans is how he isn't good he just doesn't get hit for 5 yards because the OL is doing so well.

jkpigskin
03-06-2007, 08:11 PM
interesting scenario... would do the broncos good!

RaiderNation
03-06-2007, 08:14 PM
would be a HORRIBLE trade for DC

21ST
03-06-2007, 08:15 PM
would be a HORRIBLE trade for DC

how would it be horrible for the redskins

Number 10
03-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Well you just proved you dont watch the redskins so there is no need in me even trying to explain

I pretty much watch every game that involves an NFC East team every year.

portis_clinton
03-06-2007, 08:46 PM
We should just keep Springs, Betts, and our 6th pick. I don't understand why people think the Redskins should try to "stockpile" draft picks. Stockpile is in quotations because we wouldn't actually be stockpiling picks, because we would still be behind the average team on picks. I'd rather try to get a stud on the D-line, then get a mediocre corner and some possible depth.

Honestly, we should just leave this draft alone, and comeback in 2008 looking to actually stockpile picks, getting future replacements for the O-line and D.

skinzzfan25
03-06-2007, 09:20 PM
This is a tough situation. I would normally do it, but there are some real promising prospects at 6. Bly is defiantly an upgrade over Springs. Anybody who plays 14-15 games and is near #1 CB quality is better than Springs. The Redskins want to do everything they can to keep Springs, and Gibbs has said that over and over again. The closer it gets to June 1st, the more the trade talks will heat up.

And Betts is nothing special. He couldn't even hold Portis' jockstrap... Portis has a nose for the endzone and turns those little 6 yard runs that Betts had into 30 yard breaks. I don't commend Betts for running so well at the end of the season, I commend the line for making holes that a blind man could run through. Betts however is a solid backup and if Portis were to go down, I don't know how much I could trust Rock.

princefielder28
03-06-2007, 09:45 PM
That could get Denver their much needed pass rusher

SeanTaylorRIP
03-07-2007, 02:17 PM
This is the most recent trade I am hearing:

#6 pick overall and Shawn Springs and Ladell Betts

for
Dre Bly Broncos 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounders.

Jughead10
03-07-2007, 02:19 PM

for

Never gonna happen. The Redskins would have too many picks for their own good. Snyder's head would explode before the Redskins ever have a full allotment of picks.

Windy
03-07-2007, 03:01 PM
I got this from kffl.com. I don't know why it's in blue.

Broncos | Team still working on deal with Washington
Wed, 7 Mar 2007 12:41:49 -0800
Jason La Canfora, of the Washington Post, reports the Washington Redskins and Denver Broncos (http://www.kffl.com/team/15/nfl) are actively trying to work out a deal, with the Broncos (http://www.kffl.com/team/15/nfl) seeking the No. 6 pick in the 2007 NFL Draft (http://www.kffl.com/link/159) and the Redskins (http://www.kffl.com/team/37/nfl) looking to acquire CB Dre' Bly (http://www.kffl.com/player/1736/nfl). The Broncos (http://www.kffl.com/team/15/nfl) tried to offer LB Al Wilson (http://www.kffl.com/player/589/nfl) and a package of draft picks for the Redskins' high draft pick, but the deal fell through when the Redskins (http://www.kffl.com/team/37/nfl) opted to sign LB London Fletcher-Baker (http://www.kffl.com/player/183/nfl) instead of trading for Wilson. Also, the Redskins (http://www.kffl.com/team/37/nfl) have offered CB Shawn Springs (http://www.kffl.com/player/1676/nfl) in a deal for Bly, but the Broncos (http://www.kffl.com/team/15/nfl) are not willing to give the Redskins (http://www.kffl.com/team/37/nfl) cap relief for the $7.5 million charge they would receive by trading Springs. With both teams still coveting their targets, and with Bly still reportedly looking to play in Washington, it is still possible for some kind of swap involving Bly and the Redskins' first-round pick to happen before the draft.

Jughead10
03-07-2007, 04:00 PM
i would have murdered shanahan if he'd traded away wilson. that's the stupidest trade i've ever heard our team legitimately discuss. i'm angry at the organization just for letting it get published.

Don't listen to that article. I don't know how the Washington Post gets away with printed half the BS they do.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-07-2007, 04:05 PM
Don't listen to that article. I don't know how the Washington Post gets away with printed half the BS they do.

How dare you insult Wilbon and Kornheiser.

goblue8888
03-07-2007, 04:29 PM

for

Who told you this and would it be both 3rd rounders.

BlindSite
03-07-2007, 04:30 PM
What if they packaged smoot and the 6th... That could work, even though smoot wouldn't be exactly the corner they'd want.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-07-2007, 04:32 PM
Who told you this and would it be both 3rd rounders.

One of old college roomates works for comcast sportsnet as a research analyst and sends me e-mails when he recieves possible stories, this is one I heard reported. And it would be our 3rd rounder we would get not yours.

Shiver
03-07-2007, 04:35 PM
As much as I jest, voicing my dislike for the Redskins' typical strategy, if they could do this I would actually like it. Accumulating picks is a sharp contrast to their usual modus operandi.

toonsterwu
03-07-2007, 05:07 PM
odd ... where did LaCanfora mention that Al Wilson was involved? I've gone through his recent blogs and I didn't see it on a cursory glance.

And Jughead, I think LaCanfora is one of the better beat writers out there. A lot of things can be said about the Post (although personally, I think it's one of the best papers nationally, but different people, different strokes), but in regards to their Redskins beat writers, they've had some good ones in recent years, with Nunyo Demasio (now with SI I think) and now LaCanfora.

THIZZorDIE
03-07-2007, 05:12 PM
Didnt they just re-sign Fred Smoot?

Smoot, Rogers, and Springs is no CB corps that deems a trade involving the #6 overall selection.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-07-2007, 05:15 PM
Didnt they just re-sign Fred Smoot?

Smoot, Rogers, and Springs is no CB corps that deems a trade involving the #6 overall selection.

Well Springs is likely to be cut for Cap reasons and Beyond Smoot and Rogers there is no one, and Smoot should be playing Nickel.

Olympia Martin
03-07-2007, 05:16 PM
Everything that I have read on ESPN insider and other Network sites has the possible trade rumored to be this:

Denver gives #21, #56 and Dre Bly
Washington gives #6 and Ladell Betts

The stalling point ot the deal is Washington wants the Broncos 2nd round pick not a third. Denver countered back with they will include #56 but Washington must add in Ladell Betts.

Both sides seem pretty serious about getting a deal done so I would not be surprised to see something go through within the next couple days.

Personally I really dont see the need for Denver to get anxious about trading, the have the leverage, IMO. Washington is the one who wants Bly and will probably pay for it. IMO Denver should keep Bly and the picks. It would be a good deal for Washington if they can then move Shaun Springs for a day 1 pick., maybe 3rd round but I think his value is more a 4th.

Jimmy
03-07-2007, 05:21 PM
Basicly, the way i see it, were getting the #6 pick for our first and second, which isnt bad.

Ladell Betts for Dre Bly in itself? Meh, Maybe the Skins would get teh better deal there, but Bly wants out. so w/e

SeanTaylorRIP
03-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Wow that would be a great steal for the Skins IMO especially if you can toss Springs in there, not sure why Denver wants a RB so bad after getting Henry and having the ability to draft any RB and do well, but I heard the Broncos front office are in love with Betts for some reason.

toonsterwu
03-07-2007, 05:27 PM
I know Ghettosermon isn't big on Ladell Betts, but Betts for Dre Bly, IMO, favors the Broncos. Betts is a young back without much treads on him, a guy who moves better than some Redskins fans give credit to, while also having the power to run over people. Now, without taking it too far, I am in no way saying Betts is a top level back, but he can be a very good back. Heck, I like him better than Travis Henry personally. Bly is a nice solid corner, but every visual indication seemed to be that Bly lost a little last year, and another year isn't going to help things.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-07-2007, 05:30 PM
U R right Toon value wise the Broncos win it, but if somehow we can throw in Springs I do it right away as if we move Springs we get 7 mil cap relief, also I guess I got a little excited at the prospect of possibly having more than 1 day 1 pick. But if we did make this move obviously we would pray that Okoye falls to us but that's not happening and I'd love PWillie but with Fletcher you wonder that, so I open up to possibly taking a FS or Guard although we can probably take one if we had #56. There no doubt will be great passrushers available at #21.

Jughead10
03-07-2007, 05:37 PM
odd ... where did LaCanfora mention that Al Wilson was involved? I've gone through his recent blogs and I didn't see it on a cursory glance.

And Jughead, I think LaCanfora is one of the better beat writers out there. A lot of things can be said about the Post (although personally, I think it's one of the best papers nationally, but different people, different strokes), but in regards to their Redskins beat writers, they've had some good ones in recent years, with Nunyo Demasio (now with SI I think) and now LaCanfora.

As far as covering the actual team through training camp and the season the Post is very good, it just seems like at this time of year they will make up whatever rumor they can to sell papers.

toonsterwu
03-07-2007, 06:12 PM
I dunno. I forget how Nunyo was in the offseason, but from what I've seen of LaCanfora since he's taken over, he's been a fairly straight shooter. Especially now that every writer has a blog, and is given more freedom on the blogs by the papers itself. I mean, the nature of the beast is that the beat writers need to suck up to the organization, but overall, I think LaCanfora does a solid job with the offseason.

But eh, not a big deal. It'll be interesting if they can work something out.

goblue8888
03-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Bly
1st(21)
2nd
Eartly third

for

6th
Betts
Springs

Thats how i think it goes down if it does

jth1331
03-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Good lord, the Broncos aren't desperate. If a trade goes down for the #6 pick, it will only invole 2 first day picks for the Broncos, their 1st obviously and most likely their 3rd round pick, maybe 2nd.

critesy
03-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Trade Value
6.......... 1,600

21.......... 800
56.......... 340

their 1st and 2nd only covers 1140 of the 1600 "points"

TNewFan41
03-07-2007, 07:55 PM
And the Broncos take a dump on the Skins chest, what else is new?

jth1331
03-07-2007, 11:18 PM
Trade Value
6.......... 1,600

21.......... 800
56.......... 340

their 1st and 2nd only covers 1140 of the 1600 "points"

Add in Dre Bly. The Broncos aren't desperate to make a move and trade away their draft to move up.
Bly and picks 21 and 70, maybe a 4th next year, for the 6th overall

ST21
03-07-2007, 11:51 PM
Actually its more like this...

(1) WSH #6 - 1600

for

Dre Bly
(1) DEN #21 - 800
(2) DEN #56 - 340
(3) DEN #70 - 240
(3) DEN #87 - 155

Total = 1535 + 240 (Bly's approximate value) = 1775

we might throw in a 3rd rounder next year or something

broncos wont take springs in the trade; they'll just pick him up after the skins cut him...or will they?

ANNNNDDDD

gibbs said he will not trade betts and expects both him and portis in the backfield next year.

Chaucer
03-08-2007, 12:25 AM
the broncos would be getting the better end of this deal, the #6, and a mid rounder for bly, com on now. they need a pass rusher bad. With 2 of the three best DL players still left in the draft, its pretty that they would give that up, but you never know.

jsagan77
03-08-2007, 02:32 AM
This draft is so stacked with talent that the Skins would fill a ton of needs with those picks.

eacantdraft
03-08-2007, 07:09 AM
This is the NFL eqivalent of the Yankees-Red Sox trades. One team always comes out ahead. The only thing missing is a rivalry since these teams only play one another once every 4 years.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-08-2007, 07:10 AM
the broncos would be getting the better end of this deal, the #6, and a mid rounder for bly, com on now. they need a pass rusher bad. With 2 of the three best DL players still left in the draft, its pretty that they would give that up, but you never know.

Umn dream on if you think you can get the #6 pick for Bly and a mid rounder. At the minimum it would take your first, 2nd, and Bly and even that wouldn't be enough.

goblue8888
03-08-2007, 08:09 AM
I heard this trade today

DEN trades
their 1st, 2nd and early third al wilson and bly

They get
The number 2 pick likely CJ

DET trades
The number 2 overall pick
Gets
The 6 overall pick, al wilson

WASH
Trades the 6th overall
Gets
denvers 1st, 2nd 3rd plus bly

Denver Bronco99
03-08-2007, 01:13 PM
I heard this trade today

DEN trades
their 1st, 2nd and early third al wilson and bly

They get
The number 2 pick likely CJ

DET trades
The number 2 overall pick
Gets
The 6 overall pick, al wilson

WASH
Trades the 6th overall
Gets
denvers 1st, 2nd 3rd plus bly

where did you hear this? becasue we would get rid of our draft...but we would prb. take CJ...and that would be INSANE walker and johnson...but we do not need a WR...so im not really for the deal...just curious were you heard it

Don Vito
03-08-2007, 01:23 PM
That would be pretty good for Detroit if they want an MLB so bad. They could probably get Gaines Adams at that spot if they really do want him.

LonghornsLegend
03-08-2007, 02:16 PM
why would denver trade 3 draft picks, all first day, al wilson and bly for just a WR? i know its cj but goodness, they have javon walker, why would they trade away their team for another WR...thats ludicrous

toonsterwu
03-08-2007, 02:20 PM
That's an odd trade. As noted by many, makes little sense for the Broncos to add a WR. THey could find a depth option later to develop behind Javon/Rod/Brandon (and isn't DOmenik Hixon still on the roster ... who knows, he could emerge as a decent depth option, he has tools to work with).

For the Lions, while it might make some sense, who here really thinks that Al Wilson, at 30 years old, is worth the equivalent of a mid-1st? I know Broncos fans may love the guy ... but I have a hard time seeing him worth a mid-first.

And depending on which 3rd round pick it is, Washington is getting a great deal there.

bored of education
03-08-2007, 02:40 PM
they would give up their 1.21, maybe 3.86 and Dre Bly to the Skins for 1.6. That gives the Skin immediate help at Cb along with another draft pick since they only have 1.6 a 5,6,7th round draft pick.

denver still has a 2,3,5,6,7 after that trade but that trade would allow them to get Jamaal Anderson, maybe Gaines Adams or reach for Carriker. Then line them up for a DT later. or grab Branch or Okoye then grab a DE later like: Crowder, Woodley, Moses or Atkins maybe even Abimari or C Johnson.

Wash:
Bly

Den:
2008 late round pick maybe

Denver drafts Carriker

Washington has another CB, can draft Abimari, Moses, Johnson whoever.

denver still has a 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 draft pick

washington got their needed CB, 1,3,5,6.

critesy
03-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Wash:
Bly

Den:
2008 late round pick maybe

Denver drafts Carriker

Washington has another CB, can draft Abimari, Moses, Johnson whoever.

denver still has a 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 draft pick

washington got their needed CB, 1,3,5,6.

if you saw my post earlier denvers 1st and 2nd doesnt even equal our 1st in value, and the left over is about 500 and some and thats a high second, so thats saying bly is worth a high second round pick....

you have 1st 3rd and bly...and you have US giving up a pick next year, ehhhh...no.