PDA

View Full Version : Kellen Winslow "Braylon Edwards wants to be a Giant"

PoopSandwich
04-02-2009, 10:23 PM
April 2, 2009

Ex-'mate: Braylon wants to be a Giant

Braylon Edwards hasn’t asked out of Cleveland (yet), but according to one of his former teammates the big receiver would “love” to play with the Giants this year.

That’s what ex-Browns tight end Kellen Winslow said today in an interview on The Sirius Blitz on Sirius NFL Radio, Winslow said he thinks Edwards’ days in Cleveland are numbered, and that if they are the receiver is hoping to be shipped to New York.

“For some reason I don’t (think he’ll play for the Browns in 2009),” Winslow said. “I know Braylon would love to go to New York. The Giants would fit him to the ‘T’ and he would have so much fun up there. I know he loves Cleveland but New York would be a great fit for him.”

Later in his conversation with hosts Adam Schein and Solomon Wilcots, Winslow said Edwards “would love it there. He’s a city guy and, yeah, I know he would love it there.”

The Giants, as you know asked the Browns about Edwards back at the scouting combine in February. They reportedly offered the second and fifth-round draft picks they got from New Orleans in the Jeremy Shockey trade. According to the same report, the Browns asked for receiver Steve Smith too, and the Giants countered with either Mario Manningham or Domenik Hixon, though team sources later insisted no players were mentioned in the talks.

The 26-year-old Edwards is 6-3, 215 and had 55 catches for 873 yards and three touchdowns last season. In 2008 he caught 80 passes for 1,289 yards and 16 touchdowns.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2009/04/ex-mate-braylon-wants-to-be-a.html

Kellen was pretty good friends with Edwards so I take his word for this, and other rumors were going around saying that the Browns were "swapping ideas with the Giants about Edwards."

This could heat up as we get closer to the draft, probably something to keep an eye on.

SimonRath
04-02-2009, 10:26 PM
i would so trade for him

PACKmanN
04-02-2009, 11:34 PM
lol, the Browns are done. Joe Thomas is the only guy left on that team with value.

kalbears13
04-02-2009, 11:43 PM
Braylon is like Lebron...just not even close to as good...

PoopSandwich
04-02-2009, 11:48 PM
lol, the Browns are done. Joe Thomas is the only guy left on that team with value.

Yeah we kind of suck but were not that bad that we have 1 guy worth value...

Offense - Thomas, Edwards, Steinbach, Quinn, Anderson

Defense - Rogers, Jackson, Wright, Pool, Wimbley?, McDonald?, Williams? (Alot of ? here going into 2009)

ST- CRIBBS DAWSON SUPER BOWl

osubrowns
04-02-2009, 11:57 PM
Winslow is a worthless thug with no brains and does not have a clue what he is talking about. Sure Braylon could wind up in New York, but not because that is where he wanted to play. Braylon and his fragile ego would get crushed in the New York media the first 4 drop game he has up there. He cried like a little school girl when the Cleveland fans and media got on him for butter fingers. He's mentally weak. I hope to God we trade him soon. We're finnaly cutting the fat out of this team(Bodden in 2008 Winslow, Shaffer and now Edwards) Lets get Fraley and Anderson out of here too.

Crickett
04-03-2009, 12:06 AM
Winslow is a worthless thug with no brains and does not have a clue what he is talking about. Sure Braylon could wind up in New York, but not because that is where he wanted to play. Braylon and his fragile ego would get crushed in the New York media the first 4 drop game he has up there. He cried like a little school girl when the Cleveland fans and media got on him for butter fingers. He's mentally weak. I hope to God we trade him soon. We're finnaly cutting the fat out of this team(Bodden in 2008 Winslow, Shaffer and now Edwards) Lets get Fraley and Anderson out of here too.

Splendid idea. 35 year old David Patten and Syndric Steptoe ftw.

osubrowns
04-03-2009, 12:09 AM
His contract is up this year he is gone either way. Not trading him would be a mistake regardless of who we have at receiver, and teams without star receivers all the time not to mention a 1st or one of 3 2nds would be used on a receiver.

IndyColtScout
04-03-2009, 12:11 AM
If the Giants can make that move without giving up a 1st, then that's a real steal. You might not think so now, but if at any point Braylon gets a chance to lineup opposite Plaxico with Boss/Hixon/Smith/maybe Manningham than you've got a very very lethal WR attack. Then add the effect of the OL and RB's and the Browns are just straight up doing the Giants a huge favor.

PoopSandwich
04-03-2009, 12:12 AM
His contract is up this year he is gone either way. Not trading him would be a mistake regardless of who we have at receiver, and teams without star receivers all the time not to mention a 1st or one of 3 2nds would be used on a receiver.

Franchise tag trade, he won't just be able to leave...

If we get rid of Edwards and don't draft Crabtree we are going to have THE WORST offense next year...

If we KEEP Edwards SIGN HIM long term, AND DRAFT CRABTREE... We set up one of our young qbs to do amazing.

LonghornsLegend
04-03-2009, 12:27 AM
Braylon is Hollywood, he seems like someone who would love to play in NY, Miami, LA, somewhere there are flashing lights and a big market...The fit from a football standpoint makes sense, but I have always got that feeling about him.

osubrowns
04-03-2009, 12:28 AM
Edwards doesn't want to be here why can't Browns fans get that through their thick sckulls? I see hoping against all hope worked out well for the last two scrubs you were routing for huh? Winslow's knees and his loud mouth are going to end his career sooner than later and Bodden proved he was a joke all along. Edwards and his fragile ego would get run over in New York. I'd take their 2nd 5th and Steve Smith all day long over Edwards.

thetedginnshow
04-03-2009, 12:41 AM
EDIT: Actually, he might not be the right kind of guy.

Mr. Hero
04-03-2009, 12:56 AM
I think that ultimately we do end up sending the saints second and fifth rounders to the browns with Manningham/Hixon for Braylon, unless of course plax takes a plea deal before the draft that guarantees he's back by the playoffs.

D-Unit
04-03-2009, 12:59 AM
I would love for Mr. Dropsies to land in NY. That would be awesome. I hate Amani Toomer and all the pain he has caused me.

osubrowns
04-03-2009, 01:03 AM
I think that ultimately we do end up sending the saints second and fifth rounders to the browns with Manningham/Hixon for Braylon, unless of course plax takes a plea deal before the draft that guarantees he's back by the playoffs.

Too bad Mangini and Kokinis don't want Hixon or Mannigham(God he's pathetic why would that even be fair?) They want Steve Smith or no deal.

PoopSandwich
04-03-2009, 01:24 AM
Edwards to the Eagles for one of the later of the first round picks and a third or fourth round pick, that's what should happen.

d34ng3l021
04-03-2009, 01:32 AM
Edwards to the Eagles for one of the later of the first round picks and a third or fourth round pick, that's what should happen.

Sniper would be one happy man.

Mr. Hero
04-03-2009, 01:39 AM
Too bad Mangini and Kokinis don't want Hixon or Mannigham(God he's pathetic why would that even be fair?) They want Steve Smith or no deal.

Except they're more likely to get our first than steve smith. I guess we'll have to see, I was just posting what I was feeling in my gut. It's a fair trade for braylon and I do think that relationship's getting awefully salty and they'll have a tough time getting more for the one WR who could out drop Shockey and Plax in their primes.

PoopSandwich
04-03-2009, 01:41 AM

I'd puke if we went into the season with Steptoe/Patten...

I don't even care at this point anymore, if Curry isn't there we need Crabtree regardless of whether or not we keep Edwards...

I would also puke if we don't get a first round pick in exchange for Edwards, he's better than a 2nd and 5th when he focuses.

Best case scenario however... 1st - Curry 2nd (36th) - Nicks 2nd (50th) - BPA (center, guard, olb, rb)

Anyways, what this means is don't do drugs kids.

j05son
04-03-2009, 01:51 AM
I'd puke if we went into the season with Steptoe/Patten...

I don't even care at this point anymore, if Curry isn't there we need Crabtree regardless of whether or not we keep Edwards...

I would also puke if we don't get a first round pick in exchange for Edwards, he's better than a 2nd and 5th when he focuses.

Best case scenario however... 1st - Curry 2nd (36th) - Nicks 2nd (50th) - BPA (center, guard, olb, rb)

Anyways, what this means is don't do drugs kids.

Agreed. I think Edwards is valued at more than a second and a fifth. I also am very much in favor of your best case scenario. Curry is obviously going to be a player, and I think Nicks will be a fine WR. With that late 2nd rounder, hope that one of the centers Mack/Unger/Wood or one of the RB's fall...Great draft imo.

Michigan
04-03-2009, 07:03 AM
Braylon Edwards (BBHN) is the best WR in the NFL/history and it would be a steal if the Lions could get him for just the #1 overall pick.

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-03-2009, 07:15 AM
Oh wow, if the Giants got Edwards, they'd be my pick for the Super Bowl, that is if he starts catching the football.

Gay Ork Wang
04-03-2009, 07:21 AM
Braylon should wear an eyefold. seemed to work for his hands in the commercials for Fantasy football

gogogo Bears trade ur 2nd and your 4th for Braylon

FlyingElvis
04-03-2009, 07:49 AM
Edwards for a 2nd, 5th and any WR on the NYG roster would be stupid for Cleveland. Unhappy or not, the guy is worth more than that. NE has a few 2nd round picks . . . B-Easy would look nice opposite Moss w/Wes in the slot. sicksicksicksicksick

Sniper
04-03-2009, 08:43 AM

ZOMGZ BRB GOING TO CHANGE MY PANTS!

4pXfHLUlZf4

wonderbredd24
04-03-2009, 08:52 AM
Kellen Winslow says he wants to be a Giant

Braylon's dad says he wants to be a Brown

At the end of the day it doesn't matter unless a team like the Giants offers far more than what they currently are.

Braylon and Mangini have a one year audition with each other and I fully expect they will take advantage of that... if it works out, extend him. If not, franchise him and trade him.

bored of education
04-03-2009, 09:05 AM
Lets hope Braylon doesn't drop the ball on this one.. I mean the Browns don't drop the ball. Wow 1994 here I come!

Bucs_Rule
04-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Edwards for a 2nd, 5th and any WR on the NYG roster would be stupid for Cleveland. Unhappy or not, the guy is worth more than that. NE has a few 2nd round picks . . . B-Easy would look nice opposite Moss w/Wes in the slot. sicksicksicksicksick

Edwards weakness would be nullified in NE. Decoys don't have to be able to catch the ball.

Number 10
04-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Cleveland would be stupid to trade him.

A weak passing attack loses Winslow, Stallworth, and Edwards in one offseason? Good luck with that.

kalbears13
04-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Cleveland would be stupid to trade him.

A weak passing attack loses Winslow, Stallworth, and Edwards in one offseason? Good luck with that.

Don't forget Joe Jurevicius.

I think if Braylon settles down he'll be a great player. I'm 99% sure if he's traded to New York he will do amazing. He just needs a spark to get him to start playing well again. Hopefully Mangini and/or Crabtree can be that.

Mr. Hero
04-03-2009, 01:11 PM
If the giants moved the pick up from 45 to our 29th, alongside a fifth and mario/hixon. Anyone think cleveland would bite. I think that's on par with 45, fifth rounder and smith value wise, which cleveland was reportedly willing to take.

FlyingElvis
04-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Doubt it. With the dropsies he had all season the Browns would be stupid to trade him with his stock low. He's as good as he was in 2007 and should get back to that form.

OSUGiants17
04-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Hey Jerry
http://www.myspaceantics.com/images/funny/git-r-done.gif
BRING HIM TO NY!

gpngc
04-03-2009, 09:57 PM
If the giants moved the pick up from 45 to our 29th, alongside a fifth and mario/hixon. Anyone think cleveland would bite. I think that's on par with 45, fifth rounder and smith value wise, which cleveland was reportedly willing to take.

Makes sense but those 16 picks are a big deal to Reese. It's probably the difference between Beatty and a bench LT.

I still think Kiwi is the best way to go.

Kiwi/Manningham (lol)/5th for Braylon.

Reese can go out and find another pass rusher with one of his millions of unnecessary picks (the team has virtually no holes after WR).

BaLLiN
04-03-2009, 10:06 PM
first off Braylon has one year, giving up a 2nd and 5th without an extension is dumb.

Right now id only give up a third if it didnt include resigning. And the Browns wouldnt have him sign long with them bc then theyd have to give him signing bonus, so basically a 2nd and 5th is pretty good.

ironman4579
04-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Makes sense but those 16 picks are a big deal to Reese. It's probably the difference between Beatty and a bench LT.

I still think Kiwi is the best way to go.

Kiwi/Manningham (lol)/5th for Braylon.

Reese can go out and find another pass rusher with one of his millions of unnecessary picks (the team has virtually no holes after WR).

I hope you mean Kiwi, Manningham and a 5th for Braylon, not Kiwi OR Manningham and a 5th.

Funny thing, in an interview with one of the Giants LB's (can't remember who, wasn't Pierce or anyone like that), he said Manningham was one of the best WR's he's ever seen. Even as a Michigan fan who's usually a homer for most Michigan players, I was like "Really?"

ironman4579
04-03-2009, 10:09 PM
first off Braylon has one year, giving up a 2nd and 5th without an extension is dumb.

Right now id only give up a third if it didnt include resigning. And the Browns wouldnt have him sign long with them bc then theyd have to give him signing bonus, so basically a 2nd and 5th is pretty good.

I'm sure the Giants would get permission from the Browns to talk to Edwards about an extension before they made any trade or even an offer for him.

wonderbredd24
04-03-2009, 10:16 PM
If the Giants want Braylon Edwards, the framework is going to start with the Roy Williams trade.

Edwards is better than Williams. I can't fathom the Browns seriously taking a 2nd, a 5th, and another garbage receiver which the Browns have in ample supply.

ironman4579
04-03-2009, 10:27 PM
If the Giants want Braylon Edwards, the framework is going to start with the Roy Williams trade.

Edwards is better than Williams. I can't fathom the Browns seriously taking a 2nd, a 5th, and another garbage receiver which the Browns have in ample supply.

Good point. I'd actually tend to think that way myself.

gpngc
04-03-2009, 10:28 PM

None of those WRs are garbage. Manningham is the closest to garbage on the list but Hixon is a nice player and Steve Smith is a bona-fide #2 wideout. Draft Crab at 5 and you're set + you'd have 3 2nd rounders (premium picks) to help out the defense.

As for Edwards being better than Roy Williams? That's debatable, especially considering what Edwards did last season.

And the RW trade was a trade in which Dallas had no leverage. JJ was set on getting another WR because he thought his team was a player away from a great SB chance. He was clearly wrong, but at the team his heart was set on making the move, whereas the Lions didn't care either way. They basically said "we don't mind holding on to RW, so the only way you're going to get him is if you blow us away." Which is exactly what JJ did. That trade was a clear instance of a team knowingly overpaying for a player with the feeling that the elusive SB ring was as close as the player could reach.

It's clear that Braylon does not want to stay in Cleveland so why not get something for him before he becomes a free agent? You could argue that they'll showcase him this season, franchise him, then get a nice package in return NEXT offseason, but that's a funny way to build a winning organization.

If I were the Browns I'd still be talking, trying to get Kiwi/S. Smith but if the Giants really won't budge I'd probably take the Hixon package, draft Crabtree at #5 and spend my three 2nds on defense and maybe a RB.

CroomDawgs
04-03-2009, 10:32 PM
As for Edwards being better than Roy Williams? That's debatable, especially considering what Edwards did last season.

Yea cuz ROy Williams lit it up last year right :rolleyes:

scottyboy
04-03-2009, 10:34 PM

except the Giants aren't desperate under achievers who feel they HAVE to make a move and bring back a hometown guy...

the Giants have a bunch of options out there, so they won't overpay for Braylon.

plus, Braylon's been in the news, not a cancer by any means, but more public than you'd like (hence this statement...)

he's in his contract year IIRC, AND Cleveland's in full rebuild. teams around the league know that and no team will overpay a guy who'll hit the market in a year

ironman4579
04-03-2009, 10:35 PM
None of those WRs are garbage. Manningham is the closest to garbage on the list but Hixon is a nice player and Steve Smith is a bona-fide #2 wideout. Draft Crab at 5 and you're set + you'd have 3 2nd rounders (premium picks) to help out the defense.

And the RW trade was a trade in which Dallas had no leverage. JJ was set on getting another WR because he thought his team was a player away from a great SB chance. He was clearly wrong, but at the team his heart was set on making the move, whereas the Lions didn't care either way. They basically said "we don't mind holding on to RW, so the only way you're going to get him is if you blow us away." Which is exactly what JJ did. That trade was a clear instance of a team knowingly overpaying for a player with the feeling that the elusive SB ring was as close as the player could reach.

It's clear that Braylon does not want to stay in Cleveland so why not get something for him before he becomes a free agent? You could argue that they'll showcase him this season, franchise him, then get a nice package in return NEXT offseason, but that's a funny way to build a winning organization.

If I were the Browns I'd still be talking, trying to get Kiwi/S. Smith but if the Giants really won't budge I'd probably take the Hixon package, draft Crabtree at #5 and spend my three 2nds on defense and maybe a RB.

Williams didn't want to be in Detroit either, and the Browns could easily hold on to Edwards without much trouble. The contract situation etc. is basically the same in both instances.

The situation is really quite similiar. The framework of the Williams trade really has to be a starting point. Whether you work up or down from there is debateable, but it's still likely going to be the starting point in any negotiations from the Browns perspective.

gpngc
04-03-2009, 10:37 PM
Yea cuz ROy Williams lit it up last year right :rolleyes:

You've got two guys. One dropped a bunch of passes and didn't produce much. The other didn't produce much.

They basically both were pretty bad last year. How does that prove that either of them is better than the other?

ironman4579
04-03-2009, 10:39 PM
except the Giants aren't desperate under achievers who feel they HAVE to make a move and bring back a hometown guy...

the Giants have a bunch of options out there, so they won't overpay for Braylon.

plus, Roy's been in the news, not a cancer by any means, but more public than you'd like (hence this statement...)

he's in his contract year IIRC, AND Detroit's in full rebuild. teams around the league know that and no team will overpay a guy who'll hit the market in a year

You could honestly swap the names Roy Williams and Detroit in there( as I did above lol) and have the exact same situation Scotty.

ironman4579
04-03-2009, 10:42 PM
You've got two guys. One dropped a bunch of passes and didn't produce much. The other didn't produce much.

They basically both were pretty bad last year. How does that prove that either of them is better than the other?

Roy dropped a bunch of balls in Detroit over his career there as well. Basically he didn't drop a bunch in Dallas because he hardly saw the ball.

wonderbredd24
04-03-2009, 10:42 PM

Ok, so you know Braylon does not want to be a Brown, how? Because Kellen Winslow said so?

That's interesting, because Braylon's dad said he wants to be a Brown and stay in Cleveland. So who should we believe? The fact is no one really knows.

What we do know is this:

Put Braylon's last 3 years against most any young WR in the league... he stacks up very well, despite the drops.

The Browns do not have to do anything. They have a unique opportunity. Play the year out and go from there. If Mangini and Braylon are happy with each other, sign an extension and go from there. If they don't, franchise him and deal him.

In what universe does it make sense to trade Braylon at his lowest possible value? He's about to play for a contract, so it stands to reason he's going to do everything possible to put up a big year and maximize his value.

If the Browns want to deal Edwards, someone is going to have to meet their demands, not the other way around... suggesting they should have to pick from a few crappy deals is ridiculous.

What's the harm in waiting a season to deal him? Either you keep one of the best young WRs in the league or at worst, you get a nice package of picks with a number of bidders and use the picks for whatever.

In regards to Crabtree, if they decide to take him, which would be fine with me, I hope they keep Braylon in that scenario. Crabtree is going to need a redshirt season in the pros... he has a good deal to learn and throwing him into the #1 WR role is a mistake if you ask me. If Braylon is there, Crabtree can take a year to adjust to the league and step in the #1 spot the following year if they deal Edwards.

scottyboy
04-03-2009, 10:43 PM
You could honestly swap the names Roy Williams and Detroit in there( as I did above lol) and have the exact same situation Scotty.

excellent point lol. fine, just pay attention to my first 2 thoughts then dammit

CroomDawgs
04-03-2009, 10:45 PM

Edwards still had 873 receiving yards, i don't think Williams got more than 3 catches in any game last year.

Mr. Hero
04-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Why would we start with the roy trade when cleveland asked for the saints' second and fifth with steve smith, shouldn't that be the package we should start working from? Get that down to something both teams will agree on?

CroomDawgs
04-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Roy dropped a bunch of balls in Detroit over his career there as well. Basically he didn't drop a bunch in Dallas because he hardly saw the ball.

Case in Point. Plus, ROy never had a season like Edwards did 2 years ago.

wonderbredd24
04-03-2009, 10:49 PM

plus, Braylon's been in the news, not a cancer by any means, but more public than you'd like (hence this statement...)

he's in his contract year IIRC, AND Cleveland's in full rebuild. teams around the league know that and no team will overpay a guy who'll hit the market in a year

Despite the fact the Browns' season last year was an abortion, they are not in full rebuilding mode.

All of the talent that is on the Browns is under 30 and much of it under 25:

LT Joe Thomas
LG Eric Steinbach
QB Brady Quinn (unproven or not, he is still young talent)
WR Braylon Edwards
FB Lawrence Vickers
NT Shaun Rogers
ILB D'Qwell Jackson
OLB Kamerion Wimbley (Yes, he's teetering on being a bust, but all hope is not lost... hopefully Rob Ryan can do something with him)
CB Eric Wright
CB Brandon McDonald

The Browns 10-6 season may have been an abberation, but this team has talent. If they draft well and Brady Quinn proves effective, they are a competitive football team. They may not be knocking on the Superbowl's door yet, but they would be a competitive football team.

wonderbredd24
04-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Why would we start with the roy trade when cleveland asked for the saints' second and fifth with steve smith, shouldn't that be the package we should start working from? Get that down to something both teams will agree on?

I'll believe that when I see it. The new Browns FO has been incredibly tight lipped so far, but you hear rumor after rumor after rumor.

There has only been one trade so far from the Browns and it was the one that had no rumors; Kellen Winslow going to Tampa for a 2nd and a conditional pick next year.

Granted, I saw the Winslow trade coming, but that's because he is playing on one knee and I would not be surprised to see him out of the league in a few years. He has no cartilage and it's just bone grinding on bone.

So if a TE playing on one knee is worth a 2nd this year and a conditional pick next year, why is a WR who has put up 3,000 yards over the past 3 years and over 20 TDs and no durability concerns only worth a 2nd, a 5th, and a scrub?

It makes no sense whatsoever.

G-Men88
04-03-2009, 10:55 PM

The Giants will not trade Steve Smith so the picks needed to be upped.

ironman4579
04-03-2009, 11:10 PM
So if we agree that the contract situation etc is the same (which I think we have), we could look at the production.

Edwards first 4 seasons

228 catches, 3,558 yards, 28 TD's
Average 57 catches, 889.5 yards, 7 TD's per season

Williams first 5 seasons

281 catches, 4,082 yards, 30 TD's
Average 56.2 catches, 816.4 yards, 6 TD's per season.

Honestly, the Williams deal just seems like a pretty darn good place to start working from. So basically you'd be talking about the equivilant of a 1st, 3rd and 6th for Edwards and a 7th. So a starter, a 2 and a 5 is probably fairly realistic.

Mr. Hero
04-03-2009, 11:27 PM
The Giants will not trade Steve Smith so the picks needed to be upped.

Which is why I said that I was feeling something like our first, third/fourth and Mario/Hixon for Braylon. The down grade from smith to mario/hixon is around moving from 45 to 29 and replacing the fifth rounder with a third/fourth.

So if we agree that the contract situation etc is the same (which I think we have), we could look at the production.

Edwards first 4 seasons

228 catches, 3,558 yards, 28 TD's
Average 57 catches, 889.5 yards, 7 TD's per season

Williams first 5 seasons

281 catches, 4,082 yards, 30 TD's
Average 56.2 catches, 816.4 yards, 6 TD's per season.

Honestly, the Williams deal just seems like a pretty darn good place to start working from. So basically you'd be talking about the equivilant of a 1st, 3rd and 6th for Edwards and a 7th. So a starter, a 2 and a 5 is probably fairly realistic.

I agree the situations are similar, I just think Dallas ended up overpaying in that deal because JJ was getting desperate, I mean an in season trade of that magnitude? When does that ever happen in the NFL?

My prediction really wasn't that far off from what the roy trade was anyway, our first, third/fourth and Hixon/Mario. Call them scrubs if you will but hixon's better than any receiver you have not named braylon even if is just a complimentary play maker with deep speed. If you take crabtree in a few years that'd be a good combo that played to each other's strengths. That's better than you'll get from your sixth rounder unless you're really lucky.

wonderbredd24
04-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Being better than Syndric Steptoe and Paul Hubbard isn't saying much. With or without Edwards, Wide Receiver is a hole. Steve Smith isn't the answer

Mr. Hero
04-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Being better than Syndric Steptoe and Paul Hubbard isn't saying much. With or without Edwards, Wide Receiver is a hole. Steve Smith isn't the answer

No one's saying he is...

scottyboy
04-04-2009, 07:03 AM
Despite the fact the Browns' season last year was an abortion, they are not in full rebuilding mode.

All of the talent that is on the Browns is under 30 and much of it under 25:

LT Joe Thomas
LG Eric Steinbach
QB Brady Quinn (unproven or not, he is still young talent)
WR Braylon Edwards
FB Lawrence Vickers
NT Shaun Rogers
ILB D'Qwell Jackson
OLB Kamerion Wimbley (Yes, he's teetering on being a bust, but all hope is not lost... hopefully Rob Ryan can do something with him)
CB Eric Wright
CB Brandon McDonald

The Browns 10-6 season may have been an abberation, but this team has talent. If they draft well and Brady Quinn proves effective, they are a competitive football team. They may not be knocking on the Superbowl's door yet, but they would be a competitive football team.

hate to break it to you, but the Browns are awful and your offense right now is just pathetic, especially if you do deal Braylon.

the Browns aren't holding the cards here, as Braylon's a FA and I highly doubt he'd re-sign with you.

BaLLiN
04-04-2009, 08:27 AM
hate to break it to you, but the Browns are awful and your offense right now is just pathetic, especially if you do deal Braylon.

the Browns aren't holding the cards here, as Braylon's a FA and I highly doubt he'd re-sign with you.

i agree all the browns are holding right now is an inconsistant WR that can play pro bowl caliber, but he came into the season in horrible form, very unprofessional. He is only signed for 1 season, and franchise tag is what they'll do because i dont think they have a player more valuable than Braylon to them. This means they get one year, then a massive salary for one year if they dont trade him. Trading him right now and getting crabtree and a few more picks seems like a good option because they need more talent, Braylon is just one guy.

If the Browns traded for lets say a future first and a late second (assuming that he agrees to an extention with the giants) they could do something like this.

1. Michael Crabtree WR
2a. (trade back, pick up 3rd) Donald Brown RB
2b. DJ Moore CB
2c. Larry English DE/OLB
3. Jasper Brinkley ILB
4. Jarret Dillard WR
6. Sammie Lee Hill NT

you get a #1, a good all around back, a playmaking CB, a good passrusher, an ILB who was getting first round expectations, a very underrated WR with great leaping ability a (#3 or #4 wr), and a project NT.

Flippityskip91
04-04-2009, 09:02 AM
Braylon Edwards may be one guy, but right now he is the Browns WR corps. After him it's Patten and a bunch of former late round picks. What sense is there in trading Braylon now, when his value is horrendously low...if you're going to have David Patten and several rookies being your pass catchers. I wouldn't be counting on rookies to make the passing game work.

They need to keep Edwards and franchise him, otherwise it isn't going to matter who else they've got on offense. There will be no passing game at all which will result in constant 8-in-the-box for our running game and even more offensive futility.

Now, franchising Edwards is beneficial because we can either trade him for a king's ransom...or give him an extension. I can't say that he'll want to stay here, but I'm pretty sure that if he repeats 2007, he won't mind hanging around whichever QB helped him beast. I would put my money on him bouncing back big, he's insane when he's focused...and he knows his next contract is coming up.

Kase1
04-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Hell if Bray Bray wants 2 come 2 NY, id drive out there and pick him up, LOL

SimonRath
04-04-2009, 10:34 AM

which is why they have a franchise tag.
an then trade

scottyboy
04-04-2009, 11:09 AM
which is why they have a franchise tag.
an then trade

sure, franchise a guy who doesn't wanna be there, spend a **** load of cash on him for one year, he may hold out, it's only one year, etc. the browns still wouldn't hold the cards, and his value wouldn't increase at all, in fact, it would perhaps decrease.

BUT, head beat writer Mike Garafolo said last night on tv that the Giants are VERY unlikely to pursue a vet WR and the Braylon talks are all but dead.

Kase1
04-04-2009, 11:21 AM
sure, franchise a guy who doesn't wanna be there, spend a **** load of cash on him for one year, he may hold out, it's only one year, etc. the browns still wouldn't hold the cards, and his value wouldn't increase at all, in fact, it would perhaps decrease.

BUT, head beat writer Mike Garafolo said last night on tv that the Giants are VERY unlikely to pursue a vet WR and the Braylon talks are all but dead.

Grrrrrrr......

A rookie WR aint gonna step in and produce like many think, this my friend is dis-heartening news

wonderbredd24
04-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Again, saying Braylon Edwards doesn't want to be in Cleveland is absolutely baseless.

The fact is no one knows but Edwards and he may not even be sure yet. I expect that he wants to come in and tear it up this year to get himself a big contract, whether that is in Cleveland or elsewhere.

How that would deteriorate his value is beyond me. The Browns cap is more than capable of holding a franchised Braylon Edwards. So yes, the Browns hold all the cards

NY+Giants=NYG
04-04-2009, 12:14 PM
I'd rather have us trade for Gonzo if possible. It's cheaper for us when it comes to compensation and contract in place. Plus we run Double tight sets like no one's business. So Boss and Gonzo would do a heck of a job run blocking and going out on routes. Use the rest of the picks then to do whatever, with options to draft WRs in the first round or Robiskie or Rames Barden later on.

PoopSandwich
04-04-2009, 01:46 PM
You guys might also be able to try to get Boldin cheaper.

ironman4579
04-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Which is why I said that I was feeling something like our first, third/fourth and Mario/Hixon for Braylon. The down grade from smith to mario/hixon is around moving from 45 to 29 and replacing the fifth rounder with a third/fourth.

I agree the situations are similar, I just think Dallas ended up overpaying in that deal because JJ was getting desperate, I mean an in season trade of that magnitude? When does that ever happen in the NFL?

My prediction really wasn't that far off from what the roy trade was anyway, our first, third/fourth and Hixon/Mario. Call them scrubs if you will but hixon's better than any receiver you have not named braylon even if is just a complimentary play maker with deep speed. If you take crabtree in a few years that'd be a good combo that played to each other's strengths. That's better than you'll get from your sixth rounder unless you're really lucky.

Hey, don't say "you guys" I'm a Lions fan. I just like Braylon. I agree that Dallas pretty much got jobbed on that trade. My point is that the Browns would likely use that deal as a starting point if anyone came calling about Braylon.

BaLLiN
04-04-2009, 02:33 PM
would a future first and a late second do it?

PoopSandwich
04-04-2009, 03:49 PM
would a future first and a late second do it?

I think you guys should do 1st this year and 2nd this year...

Think about it, what receiver are you going to get with the 29th pick that's even close to Braylon? On top of that, the 2nd round pick is extremely late as well, and the Browns MUST then draft Crabtree at 5, so essentially we have to spend our amazing draft pick extremely high due to the trade, we are going to need to pick up both picks.

If we trade him away for less we're stupid.

Crickett
04-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Think about it, what receiver are you going to get with the 29th pick that's even close to Braylon? On top of that, the 2nd round pick is extremely late as well, and the Browns MUST then draft Crabtree at 5, so essentially we have to spend our amazing draft pick extremely high due to the trade, we are going to need to pick up both picks.

If you're talking about Braylon in 2007, not many.

If you're talking about Braylon in 2008, quite a few headed into the second and third round.

PoopSandwich
04-04-2009, 05:08 PM
If you're talking about Braylon in 2007, not many.

If you're talking about Braylon in 2008, quite a few headed into the second and third round.

Yeah, but 2008 was a down year for the entire offense it was pretty pathetic...

Braylon isn't nearly as bad as he was last year, guy just needs a coach (like coughlin sadly) that can get him to focus.

scottyboy
04-04-2009, 06:06 PM
I'd rather have us trade for Gonzo if possible. It's cheaper for us when it comes to compensation and contract in place. Plus we run Double tight sets like no one's business. So Boss and Gonzo would do a heck of a job run blocking and going out on routes. Use the rest of the picks then to do whatever, with options to draft WRs in the first round or Robiskie or Rames Barden later on.

amen to that Shock. Trade for Gonzo, draft Britt and a guy like Barden or Stroughter later on, total awesomeness.

I still want Holt though...

ironman4579
04-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Yeah, but 2008 was a down year for the entire offense it was pretty pathetic...

Braylon isn't nearly as bad as he was last year, guy just needs a coach (like coughlin sadly) that can get him to focus.

This is true. It took Lloyd Carr getting on his ass big time, but in his senior year he was dominant and a great leader. I think he really needs a coach of that nature to push him.

BaLLiN
04-04-2009, 09:35 PM
I think you guys should do 1st this year and 2nd this year...

Ill tell you why, because next year is the year for us, we have everything but a #1 and maybe another decent guy.

If we trade away a 1st next year (which we'll hope is lower and youll hope is higher) instead of one this year we will be able to take Nicks, a #2 type guy so we can keep steve smith at #3 where he seems to play very clutch at and finds great matchups.

secondly if you didnt or did go crabs at #5 and traded braylon what would you do with our pick? reach for a DL, OLB, RB, WR? the value isnt there for you either. This years draft is pretty weak looking.