PDA

View Full Version : Orioles thread

Ravens1991
04-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Well boys opening day is monday, I think it will be a bit of a rough season. We may not break 500 but I think it will show we have some great talent. I think next season will be the season we contend. We have young talent in Markakis and Jones and as we know Weiters will be the greatest C of all time :p.

What is going to hurt us this season is our pitching, but we have some nice prospects such as Tillman,Matsuz etc. I think we are a year or 2 away but we have nice talent.

ccB
04-03-2009, 10:49 PM
I'll be at Opening Day, this will defintely not be the year the Orioles contend or even put up a winning record but this will be the year things start to change. Our pitching staff is putrid but we have the offense and defense to compete, if all three of our young stud pitchers develop like they are supposed to the AL East turns into a 4 dog race!

Ravens1991
04-03-2009, 11:00 PM
I heard standing only spots were going for $60. The thing that sucks is opening day there will be more Yankees fans then Os fans.

ChefMike
04-03-2009, 11:05 PM
Eff the Yanks.. Baseball needs revenue sharing like the NFL.. then you will see the parity come back... Teams like the A's and Marlins should be dominating with all the young talent they bring in and develop and never get to take advantage of!!! MLB is so out of wack.. I just hope the O's can put a winner on the field soon so we don't turn into the Pirates or Dodgers, a storied organization that can't outrun its success of the past...

ChefMike
04-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Eff the Yanks.. Baseball needs revenue sharing like the NFL.. then you will see the parity come back... Teams like the A's and Marlins should be dominating with all the young talent they bring in and develop and never get to take advantage of!!! MLB is so out of wack.. I just hope the O's can put a winner on the field soon so we don't turn into the Pirates or Dodgers, a storied organization that can't outrun its success of the past...

ChefMike
04-03-2009, 11:08 PM

ChefMike
04-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Sorry everyone... the server was acting funny and locked me up.. somehow posted 3 times?!

ccB
04-04-2009, 12:05 AM
I heard standing only spots were going for $60. The thing that sucks is opening day there will be more Yankees fans then Os fans.

Yeah I got mine for X-mas as part of a 4 game package. They are not the greatest seats but I wont be standing :)

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
04-04-2009, 04:39 PM
g07i7rtXemg

Ravens1991
04-04-2009, 04:55 PM
lol looking at it I think it might have been a good move not getting him. We signed Roberts and Markakis(who is the face of our franchise) for about 1/2 the price of Texiera. Huff put up similar stats to Texiera last year, but isn't the fielder Texiera is. I think it will help us in FA next year, we can have $ to invest in our pitching staff.

EdReedUnstoppable
04-04-2009, 06:12 PM
lol looking at it I think it might have been a good move not getting him. We signed Roberts and Markakis(who is the face of our franchise) for about 1/2 the price of Texiera. Huff put up similar stats to Texiera last year, but isn't the fielder Texiera is. I think it will help us in FA next year, we can have $ to invest in our pitching staff.

Unless we get a new owner that won't happen.

Ravens1991
04-04-2009, 06:18 PM
positive thinking those are my beliefs regarding sports.

ccB
04-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Unless we get a new owner that won't happen.

Well FWIW Angelos has publicly said he will spend money on big name bats once the big three (Arrieta, Matusz, Tillman) get here. It's McPhails philosophy to grow the arms and buy the bats, and word is Angelos has given free reign to do whatever he wants. The FA crop isn't look great next year though, Adrian Beltre at 3B and Matt Holliday in LF would be nice though.

Ravens1991
04-04-2009, 06:38 PM
I think Holliday would play DH for us. I like our young outfield w/ Pie,Jones,Markakis.

ccB
04-04-2009, 06:40 PM
I think Holliday would play DH for us. I like our young outfield w/ Pie,Jones,Markakis.

Yeah, well if Pie sticks, but that is not guaranteed, though I have high hopes. Probably the best defensive OF in baseball.

Ravens1991
04-04-2009, 07:15 PM
is this Pie contract year or something? I am having a brain fart. I know he was a 5 tool player coming out. He was a nice prospect. I have high hopes for our outfield.

Ravens1991
04-06-2009, 03:29 PM
wow listen to the boos when Texiera steped up to bat.

mikehop05
04-06-2009, 03:51 PM
wow listen to the boos when Texiera steped up to bat.

made my day

texiera even turned a bit red

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
04-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Good game so far. **** Texiera!!!! BOOOO!!!! I love it. Man anyone else love how our batting lineup starts? Roberts/Jones/Markakis??

Ravens1991
04-06-2009, 05:24 PM
holy 6th inning meltdown

ccB
04-06-2009, 08:47 PM
I did every swdc oriole fan the favor of booing the living **** out of teixeira everytime he stepped to the plate.

Ravens1991
04-07-2009, 11:42 AM
lol at 1st i felt bad for texiera, then I realized how much of a turd he is

Ravens1991
04-08-2009, 04:18 PM
I am excited to see Kojo pitch today. Also I heard Pie is starting. I am excited to see both of them play

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
04-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Anyone from Baltimore or who has Directtv know if the game is on tv???

Ravens1991
04-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Bottom line? You don't get booed unless you matter. Nobody boos the Baltimore Orioles when they're on the road because nobody cares. Oriole fans are a symbol of what's wrong with America. Jealousy, anger, and resentment toward the successful people. Oriole fans, you may not be sharp enough to get this, but you just validated Teixeira and validated why nobody talks about you on the radio. Orioles fan, you may think you won last night, but you came across as small, angry, petty, clueless, and phony"

Colin Cowherd is a tool

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
04-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Bottom line? You don't get booed unless you matter. Nobody boos the Baltimore Orioles when they're on the road because nobody cares. Oriole fans are a symbol of what's wrong with America. Jealousy, anger, and resentment toward the successful people. Oriole fans, you may not be sharp enough to get this, but you just validated Teixeira and validated why nobody talks about you on the radio. Orioles fan, you may think you won last night, but you came across as small, angry, petty, clueless, and phony"

Colin Cowherd is a tool

Anyone think he has a point???? I think he just doesn't know how bad we wanted Tex and how much we were lead to believe we had a legit shot.

DiG
04-09-2009, 04:29 PM
tough loss today. still ill take 2-1 against the yanks in a series any day.

ccB
04-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Anyone think he has a point???? I think he just doesn't know how bad we wanted Tex and how much we were lead to believe we had a legit shot.

He has no point, Mark Teixeira is a phony and he got everything he deserved. It's our rights as fans to Boo if we want to, we paid to be there. I guess the national media just wants us to roll out the red carpet for the Yankees, Sox, and their fans by letting them take over our stadium every time they come to town.

Ravens1991
04-10-2009, 02:28 PM
ya if a big FA was acting like he was going to go to the Yankees then went to the Sox and the Yankees booed would he be saying the Yankees didnt matter?

EdReedUnstoppable
04-10-2009, 03:24 PM
Am I the only person on earth who is beyond excited that we didnt waste $180 million on Texeira?

Ravens1991
04-10-2009, 03:39 PM
ya it is starting to look like a good idea, Huff puts up similar #s for a lesser price. Plus we were able to re-sign Markakis and Roberts instead of signing Texeira. But it is fun to boo everything yankees

Ravens1991
04-13-2009, 08:37 PM
congrats Felix for your 1st HR all season!!!

ravensfan3jt
04-13-2009, 08:53 PM
ya felix!!!! offense looks great

skinzzfan25
04-13-2009, 08:55 PM
I went to the student night game vs the rays. Great weather, good time with some friends.

And they won 5-4, Longoria is a beast though.

ccB
04-14-2009, 10:38 AM
congrats Felix for your 1st HR all season!!!

What was better than the homerun was the sprint around the bases after he hit it, the dude can fly.

Ravens1991
04-14-2009, 01:33 PM
yes I was laughing the way he was sprinting. Pie can develop his hitting, if he can hit .270 then we would have a amazing outfield for the next 10 years. Jones and Markakis are already beasts, if he turns out OMG.

ccB
04-14-2009, 01:39 PM
yes I was laughing the way he was sprinting. Pie can develop his hitting, if he can hit .270 then we would have a amazing outfield for the next 10 years. Jones and Markakis are already beasts, if he turns out OMG.

The problem with Pie is, he hasn't looked that great defensively, which can probably be contributed from switching from CF to LF. He misjudges the distance in which some balls are hit and takes bad angles, I assume he will adjust as he gets more time out there. The guy has all the tools you'd want in a player and his hitting is developing at a rapid pace.

ravensfan3jt
04-14-2009, 02:03 PM
thats true, who is going to replace mora at 3rd base when he leaves? who will replace huff at first? just wanna hear opinions,

brandon snydeR?

ccB
04-14-2009, 02:22 PM
thats true, who is going to replace mora at 3rd base when he leaves? who will replace huff at first? just wanna hear opinions,

brandon snydeR?

Wouldn't be surprised if we extend both players, I know for a fact Mora wants to end his career in Baltimore, he doesn't want to uproot his (large) family. If both walk my guess would be, Snyber at 1B, he's really improved over the last few years, and a platoon of Wigginton and Scott Moore at 3B with Wigginton also playing the utility role bouncing between 1B/3B/DH. If Mora is gone I'd like to see us bring in Adrian Beltre as his replacement.

Ravens1991
04-14-2009, 02:37 PM
Snyder has improved throughout the years and has shown he can play either 1st or 3rd. I feel it depends on what the coaches and front office feel. I believe we have the 5th pick this year, we may go for 3rd and let them develop to replace Mora. Having Snyder be 1st. Where does everyone else want us to go w/ this years draft?

ccB
04-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Snyder has improved throughout the years and has shown he can play either 1st or 3rd. I feel it depends on what the coaches and front office feel. I believe we have the 5th pick this year, we may go for 3rd and let them develop to replace Mora. Having Snyder be 1st. Where does everyone else want us to go w/ this years draft?

1st and foremost you never want to go into the MLB draft, drafting due to need, always take the BPA, with that said...I am praying everyday that with the 5th pick the Orioles select SS Grant Green from USC. Early in the year he was projected top 2-4 but recently some scouts have soured on him, I still think he goes in the 2-4 range. If not Green, I'd hope Alex White or Dustin Ackley are at our pick. As the draft gets closer and closer I have a gut feeling that we take Aaron Crow, I think the draft falls out like this....

1. Strasburg (obviously)

with these players going next: (in no specific order)
RHSP- Alex White
SS/3B?-Grant Green
1B/OF- Dustin Ackley

If this happened, I think Crow would be the pick, don't hate the idea of taking him, but not completely in love with it either. I wouldn't mind OF Donovan Tate, not really a need but the dude is a flat out stud, dare I say Jason Heyward like potential.

My sleeper is DJ LeMahieu SS LSU, really like what this guy brings to the table, he'd be a reach at 5, but I'd love to see him drop to our 2nd rounder.

All in all the Baseball draft is terribly hard to predict so all these jibber jabber could change drastically come June.

Also Snyders future is at 1B, he is a defensive liability at 3B IMO

EdReedUnstoppable
04-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Fun trivia fact, The Ballpark At Arlington is the only stadium that ive been in where it was just me 3 friends of mine and a tour guide!! During the great Ravens/Cowboys Dallas Trip of 08!!!! Did I ever show you guys the pics on here?

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
04-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Fun trivia fact, The Ballpark At Arlington is the only stadium that ive been in where it was just me 3 friends of mine and a tour guide!! During the great Ravens/Cowboys Dallas Trip of 08!!!! Did I ever show you guys the pics on here?

Even if you did I didn't see them. Also I love your sig and I would be jealous but my sig is awesome as well ;)

Ravens1991
04-14-2009, 07:03 PM
R/W/O we can agree that stephenson makes ill sigs.

and ERU I didnt remember you posting those pics.

ravensfan3jt
04-14-2009, 09:32 PM
i love ur sig adam jones=future star

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
04-14-2009, 10:16 PM
Adam Jones with the HR in the 10th I love it!!!

ccB
04-14-2009, 10:50 PM
R/W/O now you see why I've been pimping Adam Jones to you since the moment we traded for him!

George Sherrill really needs to quit playing with my emotions, he lets teams get way to close before slamming the door shut.

mikehop05
04-14-2009, 10:51 PM
helluva game... ol flat hat makes it interesting like always

ccB
04-14-2009, 10:55 PM
helluva game... ol flat hat makes it interesting like always

The Brim ******* Reaper!

mikehop05
04-14-2009, 11:54 PM
The Brim ******* Reaper!

lol classic.

ccB
04-15-2009, 12:02 AM
Alfredo Simon left early in the game due to shoulder discomfort, if he ends up on the DL I really hope we bring up Brad Bergensen, inject some youth in the starting rotation.

EdReedUnstoppable
04-15-2009, 02:07 PM
Even if you did I didn't see them. Also I love your sig and I would be jealous but my sig is awesome as well ;)

Your sig is awesome as well, Adam Jones is my favorite Oriole!!

ccB
04-21-2009, 12:59 PM
I will be at the game tonight fellas, T Shirt Tuesday (KOJI!) + Brad Bergensen's first start = WIN! (unless Bergensen sucks, then it's only half win)

Ravens1991
05-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Pie is batting horrible, I thought he was going to do a lot better.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
05-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Yea that is why we need some more Montanez!!!!!

ccB
05-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Yea that is why we need some Reimold!!!!!

fixed it for you.

At AAA Reimold is currently batting .408 7 HR 22 RBI .482 OBP .775 slug 1.257 OPS
That is a sick line, it's time we give Nolan his shot at the big leagues.

In reality, Montanez isn't fairing much better at the plate than Pie, albeit in less AB's. I'd rather give playing time to Pie than Montanez, he's younger and has better physical tools. He'd be a better 4th OF than Montanez when we bring up Reimold, since Pie can play any of the 3 OF positions. Montanez and Reimold are too similar to keep both on the roster at the same time.

Even with Pie underperforming I think the club gives him until at least mid-June to start improving his approach at the plate. He is out of options so we can't send him down to AAA without subjecting him to waivers and risk losing him to another team. We knew he was a project when we traded for him. Pie has nothing left to prove at the minor league levels, and his numbers show that, he needs Major League playing time if he is ever going to develop, so that's what he's getting.

ccB
05-12-2009, 11:49 PM
Went to the game tonight, Adam Jones is a superstar, there is nothing more you can say.

Also the Orioles are 6-1 when I am in attendance, someone from the front office needs to hook me up with some season tickets, I am a good luck charm!

jkpigskin
05-12-2009, 11:54 PM
I can only imagine how rock solid our team would be with some AVERAGE starting pitching........i think our staff is pathetic. Koji and Jeremy are decent, but they are Number 3 and 4 starters at best, not 1 and 2. Our front office really needs to do something about our pitching cause i dont see any help in our farm system coming anytime soon

ccB
05-12-2009, 11:59 PM
I can only imagine how rock solid our team would be with some AVERAGE starting pitching........i think our staff is pathetic. Koji and Jeremy are decent, but they are Number 3 and 4 starters at best, not 1 and 2. Our front office really needs to do something about our pitching cause i dont see any help in our farm system coming anytime soon

Well, Rich Hill should be added to the rotation soon, which will move Hendrickson to the bullpen. He's no ace but I think he's a solid #3. I mean we have one of the best groups of young pitching prospects in the league, we just have to sit and wait for them to come up. Guys like Chris Tillman, and Troy Patton should be up by the all star break. Tillman has #1 starter potential but I think he will level out to be a great #2. We all should pray everynight that Brian Matusz develops, IMO the guy has legit ACE Potential.

jkpigskin
05-13-2009, 12:03 AM
Well, Rich Hill should be added to the rotation soon, which will move Hendrickson to the bullpen. He's no ace but I think he's a solid #3. I mean we have one of the best groups of young pitching prospects in the league, we just have to sit and wait for them to come up. Guys like Chris Tillman, and Troy Patton should be up by the all star break. Tillman has #1 starter potential but I think he will level out to be a great #2. We all should pray everynight that Brian Matusz develops, IMO the guy has legit ACE Potential.

I really like Brian Matusz, I feel like he is one guy in our farm system that can be an ace in the future.
I guess im kinda tired of years of losing with false hopes (hayden penn, daniel cabrera, etc). I guess it shows up more because our hitting is actually really good now but we dont see any benefits from it because of our pitching

mikehop05
05-13-2009, 12:41 AM
well we have a lot of promising arms down there with tillman, arieta, patton, hernandez, and matsuz...

bergesen is doing decent for us... i think we'll be alright in a year or 2.... or 9

ccB
05-13-2009, 09:46 AM
well we have a lot of promising arms down there with tillman, arieta, patton, hernandez, and matsuz...

bergesen is doing decent for us... i think we'll be alright in a year or 2.... or 9

I think Bergesen can be a solid #5 pitcher, it's just too bad he is our 3rd best pitcher at the moment.

Ravens1991
05-13-2009, 09:49 AM
We will see how he pitches tonight.

JW who do you all think is better? Markakis or Jones? Looking at there stats they are pretty darn even.

. N Markakis
BAL OF 33 126 33 44 11 0 6 30 73 17 15 1 1 .429 .579 .349
4. A Jones
BAL OF 31 124 35 45 12 1 8 25 83 10 25 3 2 .420 .669 .363

coordinator0
05-13-2009, 09:56 AM
We will see how he pitches tonight.

JW who do you all think is better? Markakis or Jones? Looking at there stats they are pretty darn even.

. N Markakis
BAL OF 33 126 33 44 11 0 6 30 73 17 15 1 1 .429 .579 .349
4. A Jones
BAL OF 31 124 35 45 12 1 8 25 83 10 25 3 2 .420 .669 .363

IDC who's better, they're both on my fantasy team! :D

mikehop05
05-13-2009, 01:22 PM
i think when its all said and done after this season... markakis will have the better stats, both offensively and defensively...

jones is playing great now, but markakis has just been so consistent that its hard to bet against him

ccB
05-13-2009, 01:30 PM
I agree, Markakis is a notoriously slow starter and this year he came out on a tear, so he should be pretty consistant throughout the entire season.

Jones on the other hand is red hot now, but I expect some slumps throughout the season, when all is said and done I think both will have great years.

mikehop05
05-14-2009, 04:53 PM
nolan reimold got called up!!!

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
05-14-2009, 04:56 PM
Yup CCB told me he was going to be.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
05-26-2009, 07:23 PM
They were interviewing some guy today during the game and he said Wieters will be up Friday. I think it was the Owner

ccB
05-26-2009, 08:08 PM
They were interviewing some guy today during the game and he said Wieters will be up Friday. I think it was the Owner

It was the General Manager Andy McPhail, I just bought tickets.

Ravens1991
05-26-2009, 08:10 PM
The future is now. OMG our farm system is stacked plus Jones,Markakis are studs. Reimold is looking good. Wieters can be a stud catcher,

fischbowl
05-26-2009, 08:12 PM
The future is now. OMG our farm system is stacked plus Jones,Markakis are studs. Reimold is looking good. Wieters can be a stud catcher,

Thanks for stating the obvious

Ravens1991
05-26-2009, 08:14 PM
just making sure we are all on the same page :):):):)

jkpigskin
05-26-2009, 08:20 PM
It was the General Manager Andy McPhail, I just bought tickets.

OMGGGGGGGGGG
so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ccB
05-26-2009, 08:21 PM
It also looks like David Hernandez will be starting thursday. Eventhough I think in the long run he will end up in the bullpen I am excited to see him start, the guy is a strikeout machine.

fischbowl
05-26-2009, 08:27 PM
CCB, I be in Baltimore on Saturdayzzz for the gamezz! Missing the big debut by one day!

ccB
05-26-2009, 08:28 PM
CCB, I be in Baltimore on Saturdayzzz for the gamezz! Missing the big debut by one day!

I'll be there Saturday as well! I had tickets for Saturday already but I wanted to be there for the Debut so I bought Friday tickets as well! I am pretty much a Matt Wieters groupy.

fischbowl
05-26-2009, 08:40 PM
I'll be there Saturday as well! I had tickets for Saturday already but I wanted to be there for the Debut so I bought Friday tickets as well! I am pretty much a Matt Wieters groupy.

It's Chick Fil A Orioles plush cow day! :O

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
05-26-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks for letting me know you were getting tickets CCB. Weren't we just talking about getting tickets to his first game?

jkpigskin
05-26-2009, 10:03 PM
so has the deadline passed? the one that prevented Wieters from starting with the O's in spring?

ccB
05-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Thanks for letting me know you were getting tickets CCB. Weren't we just talking about getting tickets to his first game?
Yeah but we got $50 dollar tickets and I didn't think you'd wanna pay that

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
05-26-2009, 10:29 PM
Yeah but we got $50 dollar tickets and I didn't think you'd wanna pay that

Yea you are right. **** you and your $50 tickets

mikehop05
05-29-2009, 12:38 PM
today is the day!!!

wieters is going to go 5 - 5 with 5 homeruns and 15 rbi's

ccB
05-29-2009, 01:15 PM
today is the day!!!

wieters is going to go 5 - 5 with 5 homeruns and 15 rbi's

He's going to throw out two guys on a double steal attempt and pitch a 9 pitch, 3 K, 9th inning for the save!

jkpigskin
05-29-2009, 02:13 PM
[b]He's going to throw out two guys on a double steal attempt[b] and pitch a 9 pitch, 3 K, 9th inning for the save!

this would be EPIC

KCJ58
05-29-2009, 02:40 PM
Luke Scott is hot hot hot

ccB
05-31-2009, 04:29 AM
I was at Matt Wieters first game Friday and got to see his first hit live in person last night. The atmosphere at OPACY was crazy both games (though there were a decent amount of Tigers fans there tonight) but you could just feel it in the air that you were witnessing something special. Hopefully Wieters lives up to his hype and I can tell my grandchildren about these past two games!

Luke Scott is hot hot hot

He hit another HR tonight, hopefully his hot streak does not only pertain to the Detroit Tigers.

fischbowl
05-31-2009, 09:06 AM
Went to the game last night and CCB is right. Since Cal days I've never seen the place this pumped. Matt Wieters tripzzz for the win

fischbowl
05-31-2009, 08:14 PM
CCB where'd you sit? I was roarin' from 34

Ravens1991
07-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Has everybody given up on Billy Rowell?

fischbowl
07-10-2009, 01:01 AM
Yes, I have. Bust and a half

Ravens1991
07-10-2009, 06:40 PM
yea he is, but I am staying optimistic. Hopefully he turns around

Ravens1991
07-17-2009, 09:54 PM
what is everyones opinion on how Weiters has done so far?

mikehop05
07-30-2009, 05:04 PM
well im going to revive this thread...

tillman had a decent outing last night, gotta love the fact he wasn't walking guys after he got tagged for a HR, ala hayden penn

weiters, to answer ravens1991, has really been playing well... he has had several good swings and his defense is getting better and better

bergy - hopefully he is okay after that line drive off his knee.. he has been one of the few bright spots on the team this year

sherrill - we traded him for josh bell and steve johnson, bell looks as though he will be our 3b of the future... possibly as early as next year, johnson has been graded as a middle relief pitcher / spot starter kinda guy... im sad to see ol flat breezy go but if bell pans out then im okay with it

so far bedard has gotten us - jones, tillman, kam mik, butler and now josh bell and stevey johnson... not a bad hull for a guy on the DL again...

2010 is looking like a possible contention year...my projected rotation and starting positions / lineup as of now...

bergy
tillman
hernandez
guthrie
berken / koji / FA... matusz in the 2nd half

2b - Roberts
ss- izzy
cf - jones
rf - markakis
lf - reimold
c - weiters
dh - scott
3b - bell / wiggy
1b - ???? brandon snyder??? maybe we extend huff... but its not looking good there

after writing the lineup itll be interesting to see what happens... i like adam jones hitting #2 but with his power i think hes gotta be hitting 3 with markakis protecting

we dont have a true #2 hitter... i kind of like reimold in that aspect for right now.. if he can continue to have the plate disciple he has now possibly but it would be nice to have a guy hitting #2 that can steal bases, advanced the runners and BUNT (not izzy's cup of tea as of late)

Ravens1991
07-30-2009, 06:07 PM
how long did we have Sherrill signed for again? But I like the idea of getting Bell and I think the pitching prospect can be a nice bullpen guy

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
07-30-2009, 06:14 PM
how long did we have Sherrill signed for again? But I like the idea of getting Bell and I think the pitching prospect can be a nice bullpen guy

Man screw your god damn avatar and I think we had him until 2011

Ravens1991
07-30-2009, 06:25 PM
yea my uncle didnt like the trade and his reasoning was because we had him signed til 2011. but then he called me back and said he heard we had Sherrill til 2009 so now the trade makes more sense.

ccB
08-01-2009, 02:27 PM
I posted this in the MLB thread but it belongs in here as well:

There are rumors floating around that the Orioles may bring up Brian Matusz to take Brad Bergesens spot in the rotation while he is on the DL. There seems to be an internal battle over who to bring up. My guess is one side wants to bring up a stop gap (David Pauley, Chris Waters) and the other wants to bring up the stud prospect who is dominating AA Brian Matusz(7-0, 1.59 era 0.88 WHIP)

I personally would be for a Matusz call up, at this point he is a far more advanced player than Porcello was when Detroit decided to put him in the rotation at the beginning of the year. In a wasted season give him the 2 starts while Bergy is on the DL and if he fails miserably chalk it up as experience and send him down to AAA so he can begin his domination there. We wouldn't be wasting an option since we already used one of his options when we signed him to a ML deal.

If Matusz comes up and holds his own when Bergesen comes off the DL we could be looking at this rotation:

1. Bergesen
2. Guthrie
3. Hernandez
4. Tillman
5. Matusz

Those pitchers (minus Guthrie) plan to be long term fixtures in our rotation, with the possibility of Hernandez eventually moving to the bullpen. This gives Orioles fans something to be excited about and developing these players at the ML level could really give the O's a boost towards being respectable, and eventually a winning ball club in the somewhat near future.

With all this said I doubt Matusz gets called up because Andy Mac has been preaching patience with these young guys, he doesn't want to rush them and stunt their growth, so I really don't see him leapfrogging Matusz from AA to the Majors. I am pretty sure Chris Waters will get the call up or we will take Brian Bass out of the BP and give him a few spot starts. But it's fun to think about the possibilities

ccB
08-01-2009, 02:41 PM
well im going to revive this thread...

tillman had a decent outing last night, gotta love the fact he wasn't walking guys after he got tagged for a HR, ala hayden penn

weiters, to answer ravens1991, has really been playing well... he has had several good swings and his defense is getting better and better

bergy - hopefully he is okay after that line drive off his knee.. he has been one of the few bright spots on the team this year

sherrill - we traded him for josh bell and steve johnson, bell looks as though he will be our 3b of the future... possibly as early as next year, johnson has been graded as a middle relief pitcher / spot starter kinda guy... im sad to see ol flat breezy go but if bell pans out then im okay with it

so far bedard has gotten us - jones, tillman, kam mik, butler and now josh bell and stevey johnson... not a bad hull for a guy on the DL again...

2010 is looking like a possible contention year...my projected rotation and starting positions / lineup as of now...

bergy
tillman
hernandez
guthrie
berken / koji / FA... matusz in the 2nd half

2b - Roberts
ss- izzy
cf - jones
rf - markakis
lf - reimold
c - weiters
dh - scott
3b - bell / wiggy
1b - ???? brandon snyder??? maybe we extend huff... but its not looking good there

after writing the lineup itll be interesting to see what happens... i like adam jones hitting #2 but with his power i think hes gotta be hitting 3 with markakis protecting

we dont have a true #2 hitter... i kind of like reimold in that aspect for right now.. if he can continue to have the plate disciple he has now possibly but it would be nice to have a guy hitting #2 that can steal bases, advanced the runners and BUNT (not izzy's cup of tea as of late)

Just a few things:

I doubt Bell starts out next year at 3B, I see him as a mid season call up, same with Snyder. The club views Snyder as the future 1b and at this point I think he will be up before Bell. Though Snyder isn't your classic masher at 1B he has improved so much over the past year or two, but he is having a rough time at AAA at the moment.

Aubrey Huff is a type A free agent so I am hoping to get those two 1st round draft picks for him. If this happens we should use Wigginton as the place holder at 3B and throw Luke Scott a 1B mitt to replace Huff.

I don't see 2010 as a contention year, I think it will be our first respectable year though, I think we will hover around the .500 mark if all goes well.

This is the line up I'd like to see:

2B: Brian Roberts
DH: Nolan Reimold
CF: Adam Jones
RF: Nick Markakis
1B: Luke Scott
C: Matt Wieters
3B: Wiggy Wiggy
LF: Felix Pie (GIVE HIM SOME DAMN AB's)
SS: Cesar Izturis

Then a midseason call up of Bell and Snyder would move Wigginton to being the Utility man with Scott platooning at DH/LF/1B. This would also move Pie into the 4th OF role and Reimold back to starting LF.

I also realize Nicky doesn't profile as your classic clean up hitter but he really thrives in that spot in the line up. In reality Reimold and Markakis should be flipped, and it could quite possibly end up that way but for right now I like them in the spots I have them in.

Rotation I'd like to see:

1. Bergesen
2. Guthrie
3. Tillman
4. Matusz
5. Hernandez

I'd like to try and trade Guth if possible, he is so damn frustrating with those home runs. I'd like to see him bumped for Arieta though some say Arieta may be better fit for a closer role. If not Arrieta I'd like to see Patton come up and add another Lefty to the rotation. We also have other high potential guys in the minors in Zach Britton, Brandon Erbe, and Matt Hobgood amongst others.

This team is getting better, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, the young guys make this team watchable, you are witnessing the development of the future of orioles baseball.

Ravens1991
08-01-2009, 04:19 PM
I agree I basically wrote of Pie but he is improving, he has amazing talent I hope we still give him time.

and I say we keep Matsuz in the minors until next year.

Overall I am excited, the young talent should have Baltimore excited.

fischbowl
08-01-2009, 10:52 PM
Anybody excited for the future closer that is Ryohei Tanaka?

ChefMike
12-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Anyone excited for the winter meetings this offseason?

fischbowl
12-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Anyone excited for the winter meetings this offseason?

I will be there

ChefMike
12-19-2010, 07:39 AM
I will be there

I think we are making the right moves but I think we should try and resign Millwood and make move for Brandon Webb too. La Roche needs to get done soon.

fischbowl
12-19-2010, 11:49 AM
I think we are making the right moves but I think we should try and resign Millwood and make move for Brandon Webb too. La Roche needs to get done soon.

LaRoche is asking three years, which is far more of a commitment than I would take. I love Derrek Lee, and I think he'd be a great fit, but those talks seems to be over.