PDA

View Full Version : Plaxico Burress Released

coordinator0
04-03-2009, 02:18 PM
No link yet, just heard it on ESPNEWS. Wow.

RaiderNation
04-03-2009, 02:21 PM
Come to Oakland if you dont go to jail to long

LookItsAlDavis
04-03-2009, 02:23 PM
You sob! I was about to post this lol.

But for real, it had to be done. The guy is probably going to serve some hard time, and chances are he won't be the same when he gets out.

T-RICH49
I'm surprised yet at the same time I'm not

critesy
skins. lost out on cutler(who i didnt want) so now they need revenge on the nfl world for finally being outbid by someone.

NY+Giants=NYG
http://www.giants.com/news/headlines/story.asp?story_id=36356

Giantsfan1080
04-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Here's a link.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/

Chucky
04-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Would not mind the Bucs picking this guy up,pending his legal circumstances

Splat
04-03-2009, 02:26 PM
I'm surprised yet at the same time I'm not

Same here but kinda of a confusing statement.:)

brat316
04-03-2009, 02:26 PM
hahaha

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2009/04/giants-cut-plaxico-burress.html

CC.SD
04-03-2009, 02:27 PM
Daaaaa bears

PoopSandwich
04-03-2009, 02:28 PM
http://www.danwismar.com/uploads/edwards.jpg

Here comes Braylon...

The Dynasty
04-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Not a surprising cut. Just wonder what team will take a chance on him with his future in question.

Nalej
04-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Expected. I can see them grabbing Britt in the 1st now if he's available.

Splat
04-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Titans could use him.

PoopSandwich
04-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Titans could use him.

A lot of teams could, it matters if he is in jail or not.

sweetness34
04-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Cheddar Bob hahahaha. What a tool though. All the talent in the world and a two cent brain.

Splat
04-03-2009, 02:34 PM
A lot of teams could, it matters if he is in jail or not.

He shot his self in the leg give him a break.:)

NY+Giants=NYG
04-03-2009, 02:34 PM
http://www.danwismar.com/uploads/edwards.jpg

Here comes Braylon...

I won't be suprised.. You guys missed out on the Cutler deal, and we happen to release Burress a day later. Coincidence? Maybe.. but I wouldn't be suprised if something happens now.

Gay Ork Wang
04-03-2009, 02:35 PM
at first i thought he was released from prison.

Geo
04-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Not a surprising cut. Just wonder what team will take a chance on him with his future in question.
The Rams need him, he's a perfect complement to Avery and Spags worked with him in New York.

Also, if the Browns do trade Edwards, they will also need Plax because their best receivers will be Josh Cribbs and David Patten.

But that's all assuming he doesn't see any jail time, which I don't think happens. He will see jail time, but maybe he can get it done over the offseasons the next two years if he's lucky.

MidwayMonster31
04-03-2009, 02:37 PM
It had to be done. He was already having problems with Coughlin before this. When this happened, it looked bad for him. Mayor Bloomberg clearly wants to make an example of him with these gun charges. The Giants just could not rely on him.

D-Unit
So what's the cap hit?

Giants have a gapping hole at WR now. For as much a headache as he was (and I liked that as a rival fan), when he was on the field, he beasted it (and I hated that as a rival fan).

Alls I know is that the Giants weren't scary to face without him.

bored of education
Cheddar Plax got released. I could name 3-4 teams that will land him! 1. NOT THE CHIEFS! 2. NOT DENVER! 3. NOT THE JETS! 4. Ravens are my sleeper team

CashmoneyDrew
04-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Titans could use him.

We want no part of him.

Splat
04-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Larry Johnson could very well be next on the chopping block.

coordinator0
Cheddar Plax got released. I could name 3-4 teams that will land him! 1. NOT THE CHIEFS! 2. NOT DENVER! 3. NOT THE JETS! 4. Ravens are my sleeper team

IDK if we will go after him. His talent says yes, hell yes, but his pending legal issues and bad attitude say no. I don't think Harbaugh will want to go after him.

D-Unit
The Rams need him, he's a perfect complement to Avery and Spags worked with him in New York.

Also, if the Browns do trade Edwards, they will also need Plax because their best receivers will be Josh Cribbs and David Patten.

But that's all assuming he doesn't see any jail time, which I don't think happens. He will see jail time, but maybe he can get it done over the offseasons the next two years if he's lucky.
Plaxico will never be the same player. He'll never get paid big again. He should go to Carolina where he can waste away the rest of his career.

brat316
04-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Plaxico will never be the same player. He'll never get paid big again. He should go to Carolina where he can waste away the rest of his career.

I think you mean Oakland

Splat
04-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Plaxico will never be the same player. He'll never get paid big again.

I could see him never getting paid the same but its not like the guy is 43 years old he could still have some good football left in him if he can get out of this mess.

PoopSandwich
04-03-2009, 02:41 PM
I won't be suprised.. You guys missed out on the Cutler deal, and we happen to release Burress a day later. Coincidence? Maybe.. but I wouldn't be suprised if something happens now.

I am just curious what type of deal the Browns are going to do, I said before I am not for trading Edwards, cause the deal would probably look *SOMETHING* like this.

Edwards for a first and a second or a first and a third, or the variation of a second 5th and steve smith...

If the ideal one for the Browns happens (First + second) which are both very late picks in each round, then we still have a huge problem...

DAVID FREAKIN PATTEN IS OUR #1 RECEIVER... We would HAVE to draft Crabtree in the first round, absolutely have to... We would then have...

29th pick, 36th pick, 50th pick, 6X pick (whatever the Giants late second round pick is...

We would have Crabtree as our only main target, a washed up running back, and a competition at QB.

If Edwards is traded, we MUST trade Quinn or Anderson to get another pick, because we need another receiver in the draft if we get rid of Edwards.

Besides receiver, the Browns have needs at : ILB, FS, OLB, C, G, RB.

With the Edwards deal we would have 5 picks in the first two rounds to fill 7 holes, not too bad I guess, but I would think we would have to draft two receivers, so we would have 3 picks to fill 6 needs... Which is why trading a QB would help us out so much.

Giantsfan1080
04-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Looks like a 4.4 million cap hit from what I'm seeing so far.

04-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Come to Oakland if you dont go to jail to long

Times have changed. I doubt this team would consider it if this offseason is any indication.

NY+Giants=NYG
04-03-2009, 02:49 PM
So what's the cap hit?

Giants have a gapping hole at WR now. For as much a headache as he was (and I liked that as a rival fan), when he was on the field, he beasted it (and I hated that as a rival fan).

Alls I know is that the Giants weren't scary to face without him.

Yeah but we have options having 5 picks in the top 100. I am sure we may go WR, or tweak some of the passing concepts now that Plax is gone.

ChezPower4
04-03-2009, 03:21 PM
This is surprising but I think it is a good move for the Giants. I think that this whole situation would just have been one big distraction to the team. Plus we don't even know if he's going to be able to play football because of his legal situation.

captainjack27
04-03-2009, 03:23 PM
About time. Guy is a moron

NY+Giants=NYG
04-03-2009, 03:49 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/04/plaxico_burress_desire_to_leav.html

LookItsAlDavis
04-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Times have changed. I doubt this team would consider it if this offseason is any indication.

AMEN. I really can't see Plax playing again anyway.

ChezPower4
04-03-2009, 04:05 PM
AMEN. I really can't see Plax playing again anyway.

Your right since Plax will probably be in jail.

Basileus777
04-03-2009, 04:06 PM
So do the Giants now officially have the worst receiving corps in the NFL? They have to be close. Their two best targets are Hixon and Boss, unless they get a #1 receiver I find it hard to take them seriously as a contender.

BaLLiN
04-03-2009, 04:11 PM
So do the Giants now officially have the worst WR corps in the NFL? They have to be close.

top 10 worst prob,

Steve smith could be a #2 or #3 on any team, Hixon shows flashes, Moss i dont even know whats wrong with him his combination of being scared and shortness probably, Manningham we have faith in. and tyree is looking at the short end of the stick

so basically.

1. Hixon
2. Steve Smith
3. Mario Mannigham
4. Sinorice Moss
5. David Tyree

two guys that have produced decently, two guys who have/had potential, and tyree

NY+Giants=NYG
04-03-2009, 04:12 PM
So do the Giants now officially have the worst receiving corps in the NFL? They have to be close. Their two best targets are Hixon and Boss, unless they get a #1 receiver I find it hard to take them seriously as a contender.

Good thing we are an offense built upon the run and team built based on the trenches on both sides of the ball. While losing Burress hurts, I am sure the offensive staff will tweak some of the passing concepts. We did it when we lost Shockey last season, and how did our running game do? Now with Burress gone, I expect the offensive staff to change some things once again, but this time in the passing game. Plus defense wins champions, NOT OFFENSE. Just see the Pats and Cards in the superbowl.

BaLLiN
04-03-2009, 04:13 PM

steve smith is our best target, then Hixon, then RB, then Boss.

trading for braylon and/or drafting a WR would keep us in playoff contention. our running game is what really matters.

BaLLiN
04-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Good thing we are an offense built upon the run and team built based on the trenches on both sides of the ball. While losing Burress hurts, I am sure the offensive staff will tweak some of the passing concepts. We did it when we lost Shockey last season, and how did our running game do? Now with Burress gone, I expect the offensive staff to change some things once again, but this time in the passing game. Plus defense wins champions, NOT OFFENSE. Just see the Pats and Cards in the superbowl.

Steelers and Cards in the SB?

NY+Giants=NYG
04-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Steelers and Cards in the SB?

No I meant look at the dynamic offenses in the superbowls.. Pats vs us, exhibit A. and Cards vs Steelers in this past superbowl. Offenses don't win superbowls, defense does.. And how did we address that issue this offseason so far? It's not like our offense is on life support.

Matthew Jones
04-03-2009, 04:16 PM
That Giants WR corps is looking awful. They're going to need to take a WR in the first round if they want to have some semblance of a good passing game. Alternatively, guys like Marvin Harrison and Torry Holt are left, I guess. As for Plaxico...maybe the Jets?!?

Basileus777
04-03-2009, 04:19 PM
You still need a playmaker on offense that defenses need to gameplan for. Look at how the Giants offense struggled after losing Plax last year when teams didn't have to double anyone.

BlindSite
04-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Jets, Chicago actually makes some sense, they need a big body that Cutler can fling it to and no one out there makes more sense.

The Giants should sign Torry.

This happens every year (the situation with Torry Holt and Harrison) and team releases a vet who everyone knows has one or two good years left, no one touches them till just before camp and then they light it up and everyone is left going ffffFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU especially the team that dropped him. The second year.... usually a different story.

NY+Giants=NYG
04-03-2009, 04:24 PM
You still need a playmaker on offense that defenses need to gameplan for. Look at how the Giants offense struggled after losing Plax last year when teams didn't have to double anyone.

Well you can't change stuff mid season and expect for the whole offense to learn it like that. You don't really expect a player to shoot himself nor can you plan on it. So when it does happen mid season, you're pretty much screwed, especially since your BYE week is week 4 or very early in the season. Factor in playing ALL playoff teams the last 8 or so games, and no wonder things ended the way they did.

I agree we need to make some changes but you can mitigate a loss of a # 1 by tweaking some of the passing concepts and reads in your passing game. But we do have 5 picks in the top 100, so I expect us to add talent to our offense.

sweetness34
04-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Cutler + Burress + Forte + Hester + Olsen + Boldin = Championship

I feel like I'm dreaming anyway with landing Cutler so why the hell not.

Crickett
04-03-2009, 04:38 PM
So what's the cap hit?

Giants have a gapping hole at WR now.

Truth be told, they've had this gaping hole at WR for a while. Some people held out hope that Plax would come back, but now they know better.

LonghornsLegend
04-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Plaxico will be 33 by the time the 2010 seasons starts, he'll have served jail time, and mised the entire 2009 season, why would anyone be lined up to pick him up?

Yea maybe a quick fix, but nobody that old will be that sought after, especially after not training that entire time, I'd venture to say he's just about finished...I don't think some people know he turns 32 in August.

NY+Giants=NYG
04-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Why now?

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/blog/2009/04/why_now.html

Plaxico Burress' desire to leave the New York Giants is why they released him

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/04/plaxico_burress_desire_to_leav.html

Bob Papa on Plaxico's release
http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index.php?mode=2&thread=331541

Rayray52
04-03-2009, 05:21 PM
I read an article that said the average person with no priors accepts a plea with 3 months of jail time, if thats the case he will probably be able to serve that time in the offseason to not interfere with his job aka Jamal Lewis.

bigbluedefense
04-03-2009, 06:25 PM
This is a big blow to the Giants. I personally feel that Plaxico Burress cost us the SB this year.

Now the Giants need to find an answer. The only positive I can take from this is that we finally have gotten rid of all of our "cancers" on our team.

First Tiki, then Shockey, now Plax. Along with a bunch of whiners who aren't worth mentioning.

Splat
04-03-2009, 06:27 PM
Plaxico will be 33 by the time the 2010 seasons starts, he'll have served jail time, and mised the entire 2009 season, why would anyone be lined up to pick him up?

Yea maybe a quick fix, but nobody that old will be that sought after, especially after not training that entire time, I'd venture to say he's just about finished...I don't think some people know he turns 32 in August.

Maybe I missed some thing but I have not seen or read where Plax is for sure going to jail he could but it is not a lock as far as I know?

As for turning 32 that really means nothing T.O. is 35 Moss is 32 I can go on and on with WR's that are over 30 still getting the job done.

LonghornsLegend
04-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Maybe I missed some thing but I have not seen or read where Plax is for sure going to jail he could but it is not a lock as far as I know?

As for turning 32 that really means nothing T.O. is 35 Moss is 32 I can go on and on with WR's that are over 30 still getting the job done.

Moss or TO didn't have to spend a year away from football or any time in jail once they were into their 30's...I'm not 100% sure he'll do jail time though, but I'm just saying if he can't play this year or workout, that's a big hindrance to a WR that's in his mid 30's.

I'm assuming this 09 year is going to be a wash for him and he won't escape with jail time, especially with things getting pushed back...Maybe that's not the case but it looks like it, and I can't imagine him being anywhere near the same if that happens.

D-Unit
04-03-2009, 07:03 PM
...and I guess trading him wasn't an option, right?

bigbluedefense
04-03-2009, 07:32 PM
hopefully he stays out of the NFC East.

or the NFC as a whole for that matter.

If NE picks him up, then thats just not fair.

NY+Giants=NYG
04-03-2009, 09:05 PM
This is a must read.. Apparently, Burress didn't want to be a Giant anymore.

New York Giants offered all of Plaxico Burress' future money in proposed grievance settlement

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/04/new_york_giants_offered_all_of.html#more

NY+Giants=NYG
04-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Giants saw no signs Plax would change

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2009/04/giants-saw-no-signs-plax-would.html

Splat
04-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Moss or TO didn't have to spend a year away from football or any time in jail once they were into their 30's...I'm not 100% sure he'll do jail time though, but I'm just saying if he can't play this year or workout, that's a big hindrance to a WR that's in his mid 30's.

I'm assuming this 09 year is going to be a wash for him and he won't escape with jail time, especially with things getting pushed back...Maybe that's not the case but it looks like it, and I can't imagine him being anywhere near the same if that happens.

If he misses a full season then I agree with you it will have a big effect on his play but if he can some how stay out of jail or get out in time for the season I don't see his play dropping off.

I'm not condoning what he did or saying he should or shouldn't do jail time just that if he does actual get to play this season I feel he can still play the game at a high level.

ironman4579
04-03-2009, 09:42 PM

Who would have traded anything for a guy that has a very good chance of going to jail? Even a 7th rounder probably wouldn't have been offered by anyone, with the salary hit you'd have to pay a guy that likely wouldn't even play for you for a year and now has a gunshot wound to the leg. I'm fairly confident that the Giants likely did at least float the idea of trading him to some teams and found no interest. I don't think trading him would have been a realistic option at all.

AJHawk50
04-03-2009, 11:27 PM
This move was in the best interest of the team, and is a good move IMO.

ChezPower4
04-04-2009, 11:42 AM

Not at all...

Splat
04-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Burress Wins His Grievance (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/06/burress-wins-his-grievance/)