PDA

View Full Version : Favorite City

ChezPower4
04-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Whats your Favorite city and why?

Dr. Gonzo
04-04-2009, 01:07 PM
I have to give the nod to New York. There is just so much to do there and I really did not find it as dirty I am was told it was.

Gay Ork Wang
04-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Amsterdam. besides the weed and the red light districts, its just such a chilled city, cool sightings, nice museums, more waterways than venice

Strongside
04-04-2009, 01:17 PM
I have to give the nod to New York. There is just so much to do there and I really did not find it as dirty I am was told it was.

Sweet, I'm going to New York next week.

Dunno what my favorite city is.. Haven't had many chances to travel. I like Montreal

Staubach12
04-04-2009, 01:19 PM
I haven't traveled too much yet seeing as I'm still living at home. But out of all of them I've been to, either Nashville or New Orleans.

ChezPower4
04-04-2009, 01:22 PM
I'm going to go with Miami. South Beach is beautiful and I could put on a blindfold and throw a dart in any direction and I know it would hit a hot girl. Oh and the night life is out of this world.

CashmoneyDrew
04-04-2009, 01:24 PM
I love my home city of Nashville, but out of the places I've visited.....

1) Honolulu
2) Las Vegas
3) Toronto

Those are my top 3. In the state of Tennessee I absolutely hate Memphis. Chattanooga isn't bad for a smaller city. Knoxville is alright. I doubt I'd go up there much though if they didn't have like all of my family and the Vols.

I really want to go to NYC and Boston soon.

Staubach12
04-04-2009, 01:26 PM

1) Honolulu
2) Las Vegas
3) Toronto

Those are my top 3. In the state of Tennessee I absolutely hate Memphis. Chattanooga isn't bad for a smaller city. Knoxville is alright. I doubt I'd go up there much though if they didn't have like all of my family and the Vols.

I just got back from Chatanooga. There are absolutely NO fast food places. I was hungry and low on dough, I ended up piling some stuff up at a gas station. Other than that, it's alright. No Nashville, that's fa sho.

Dr. Gonzo
04-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Sweet, I'm going to New York next week.

Dunno what my favorite city is.. Haven't had many chances to travel. I like Montreal

Montreal is pretty ******* awesome. Living in Ottawa almost all of my life I have taken many a road trip there. It was nice being able to go to Quebec at age 16 and even though I looked like I was 12 I still rarely got carded.

I would say after New York for me Toronto is my second favorite. Every year on of the things I most look forward to is the Toronto International Film Fest so there is that and on top of that there is just so much to do there any time.

Staubach12
OH CRAP! I totally forgot Boston. LOVE IT! I love history, so it's incredible. Plus, the bay is nice, not to mention the food.

Paul
Outside of Dallas:

1) San Fransisco
2) Las Vegas
3) Corpus Christie

I've yet to visit the east coast.

Sniper
04-04-2009, 01:28 PM
1. Montreal
2. Guanajuato
3. Paris
4. Venice
5. New York

Honorable mention in no order: Philadelphia, Boston, Myrtle Beach, Salzburg, Orlando, Charlotte, Puerto Vallarta, Guadalajara, Cancun, Bratislava, Vienna, Basseterre, Baltimore, Quebec City.

Gay Ork Wang
no city is better than Amsterdam!

CashmoneyDrew
Yeah, it would be unfair to compare it to the greatest city that is Nashville though. Compared to Memphis it is heaven on earth IMO. Also, I forgot to mention Atlanta in my last post. It's always an enjoyable trip when I make it down there.

AntoinCD
04-04-2009, 01:29 PM
For things to do I would have to say London but Cagliari is amazing

Sniper
Yeah, it would be unfair to compare it to the greatest city that is Nashville though. Compared to Memphis it is heaven on earth IMO. Also, I forgot to mention Atlanta in my last post. It's always an enjoyable trip when I make it down there.

I really want to go to Nashville. I've heard great things about it. Atlanta would be another nice one. I've only been to the airport there.

The Dynasty

I would have to agree. The reputation that NYC has been given throughout the years, I have found not to be true. Everyone I asked for directions were very helpful and It wasn't as dirty as expected. I would love to get back down the city to see what I missed like Rockefeller Center and a couple other things. Also to see the New Yankee Stadium because that place looks amazing.

Dr. Gonzo
04-04-2009, 01:30 PM

1) Honolulu
2) Las Vegas
3) Toronto

I am driving 35 hours to Vegas this fall. I am really looking forward to it. The trip will be brutal but I will have substances which I cannot speak of to keep me company. I want to make the trip in honor of Hunter S Thompson and I just hope our trip isn't cut short at the border because of this.

I went to Boston last summer and it was pretty great. I found it fairly easy to get around and there was plenty to do.

ChezPower4
04-04-2009, 01:31 PM
For things to do I would have to say London but Cagliari is amazing

How is London I've always wanted to go?

Brent
04-04-2009, 01:32 PM
1) San Francisco
2) Vancouver
3) Seattle

Most of these it's because of the climate and the cities' atmosphere.

Dr. Gonzo
04-04-2009, 01:33 PM
1. Montreal
2. Guanajuato
3. Paris
4. Venice
5. New York

Honorable mention in no order: Philadelphia, Boston, Myrtle Beach, Salzburg, Orlando, Charlotte, Puerto Vallarta, Guadalajara, Cancun, Bratislava, Vienna, Basseterre, Baltimore.

Seems to me like someone is a Toronto hater. How can you leave off the town that hosts one of the greatest film festivals in the world! I can agree that as far as nightlife and food goes Montreal is almost unrivaled.

AntoinCD
Its pretty good although Regent street with all the really good shops is really, really long. Soho's quality as well. Nightlife is alright but compared to anywhere i've ever been it was really expensive. But that's to be expected.

Sniper
Seems to me like someone is a Toronto hater. How can you leave off the town that hosts one of the greatest film festivals in the world! I can agree that as far as nightlife and food goes Montreal is almost unrivaled.

I've actually never been to Toronto.

Dr. Gonzo
04-04-2009, 01:36 PM
no city is better than Amsterdam!

Once I get some money together Amsterdam is the first place I want to travel to. I am not going for the 'chill' atmosphere that you have described though, it is solely for the legal drugs and red light district. I am hoping to make it an extended trip because I really want to see Paris and London. I am such a huge fan of England (I have a huge weakness for the accent) and I really cannot wait to see it. I also want to see Ireland and Scotland but that will likely have to wait a while.

Staubach12
04-04-2009, 01:38 PM
I really want to go to Nashville. I've heard great things about it.

I love it. The night life is pretty good. The girls are pretty good depending on where you are. The food is good. One of the biggest things is your opinion on homeless people. There's not like a ton down there BUT a lot of the homeless street perform, so if you don't mind them (like me) it's awesome! If you do, it's not really a downside. You'll probably love it if you like country music. I hate country music and I still love it, it's just that the HOF is there and a lot of the bars have country music performers playing.

CashmoneyDrew
04-04-2009, 01:41 PM
I hate country music and I still love Nashville. If you love country music, than Nashville is going to be heaven on earth for you.

HawkeyeFan
04-04-2009, 01:42 PM
1a. San Diego
1b. New Orleans
2. St. Louis

Everyone I've been too, I feel welcome and it feels comfortable like home. Much better than there credited for (STL and NO).

Hollywood
04-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Hollywood, Fl: Only because I know it better than anyone. Like the back of my hand.

Washington D.C.: Despite the fact that I loathe 99.9% of all politicians.
San Francisco

Hollywood
04-04-2009, 01:45 PM
most overrated city btw IMO is Las Vegas.

ChezPower4
04-04-2009, 01:49 PM

I somewhat agree but if you love to party it is one of the best places in the world to indulge.

bored of education
04-04-2009, 01:50 PM
San Diego is awesome.
Boston is awesome minus the fan base there.

Hollywood
04-04-2009, 01:56 PM
I somewhat agree but if you love to party it is one of the best places in the world to indulge.

meh. Vegas has nothing that South Florida doesn't (including the gambling) except dry weather that gives me nose bleeds and chapped skin.

Actually I take that back; I do like the fact that it is so centrally located and they have a better public transportation system to take you from one spot to the next..but..besides that, I have no reason to even want to to Vegas again. I did bring back a good strip club story from there though. 8)

ChezPower4
04-04-2009, 02:04 PM
San Diego is awesome.
Boston is awesome minus the fan base there.

I've been to Boston and did not like it. Chicago is much, much better.

JHG722
04-04-2009, 02:06 PM
My top two are Philly and Denver. Other than that:

London
SF
Haifa
Tel Aviv
Jerusalem
Montreal
Vancouver
Seattle
Houston
Boston
Oranjestad
Hamilton, BM

Dr. Gonzo
04-04-2009, 02:08 PM

London
SF
Haifa
Tel Aviv
Jerusalem
Montreal
Vancouver
Seattle
Houston
Boston
Oranjestad
Hamilton, BM

During my road trip to Vegas we all decided we should stop off at Denver on the way. It better live up to your top 2 status!

Brent
04-04-2009, 02:09 PM
During my road trip to Vegas we all decided we should stop off at Denver on the way. It better live up to your top 2 status!
Be sure to go to the Coors plant. You can get mislabeled cans in 12 packs for pennies on the dollar.

Dr. Gonzo
04-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Be sure to go to the Coors plant. You can get mislabeled cans in 12 packs for pennies on the dollar.

I had read that was a great place to go for cheap booze. By that time we will likely have run it so it will be a necessary stop.

ChezPower4
04-04-2009, 02:12 PM

You can also get this at your local beer distributer. I used to get 24 packs of MGD for 2 bucks a case cuz the beer was expired. To be honest there is no difference in taste at all.

HawkeyeFan
04-04-2009, 02:12 PM

London
SF
Haifa
Tel Aviv
Jerusalem
Montreal
Vancouver
Seattle
Houston
Boston
Oranjestad
Hamilton, BM
You must never get out, poor thing.

Brent
04-04-2009, 02:14 PM
I had read that was a great place to go for cheap booze. By that time we will likely have run it so it will be a necessary stop.
Last time I talked to my friend who lives a bike ride from the plant, he said it was like $4-5 for a 12 pack of misprinted Coors Light. And it was probably canned that day, so you have to appreciate that.

You can also get this at your local beer distributer. I used to get 24 packs of MGD for 2 bucks a case cuz the beer was expired. To be honest there is no difference in taste at all.
I've heard that but if he's at the plant, might as well get it as fresh as can be.

JHG722
04-04-2009, 02:14 PM

I decided I'm living there after I graduate from college. Colorado is absolutely gorgeous.

You must never get out, poor thing.

Not as much as I'd like :)

CashmoneyDrew
04-04-2009, 02:15 PM
I've decided to move my order around a little bit.

1) Honolulu
2) Chicago
3) Las Vegas
4) Toronto

I really liked Chicago and I don't know how I forgot about it.

Adding to NYC and Boston, I'd also like to go to Seattle, L.A. , and a ton of places internationally. London, Tokyo, Mexico City, etc....

iowatreat54
04-04-2009, 02:17 PM
I love Chicago, but that's just because I've lived 15 minutes away from it my whole life :). And yes, Chicago > NY and Baawwston.

As for outside that...

1. DC
2. Denver
3. London

I would have London higher, but the only time I went there I was like 12. I also really, really want to go see Philly. I've flown into Philadelphia, but never actually been in the city. I also want to visit Toronto.

cdub11
04-04-2009, 02:37 PM
1. NYC
2. Vegas
3. Honolulu

Sniper
04-04-2009, 03:01 PM
I've flown into Philadelphia, but never actually been in the city. I also want to visit Toronto.

I've flown into Mexico City, Dallas and Atlanta, but never been in. I definitely want to see all three.

CJSchneider
04-04-2009, 03:27 PM
New Orleans and San Fransisco.

Bourbon St. during Mardi Gras is the craziest party on Earth and the fog rolling in off the bay down on the wharf is just beautiful.

04-04-2009, 03:30 PM
1. Toronto
2. Boston
3. Montreal
4. DC
5. Atlanta

Ehh on second review maybe Montreal should be a bit higher. Whatever. Oh and yes, Toronto is that awesome. :)

bored of education
04-04-2009, 03:36 PM
I've been to Boston and did not like it. Chicago is much, much better.

Yeah I never been to Chi town. I have several friends out there who say its a lot better than Boston.

DJC
04-04-2009, 03:41 PM
1. New Orleans
2. Orlando
3. Lake Havasu, AZ

Number 1 & 2 are my birth city and where I currently reside. Havasu for personal reasons, and it's pretty nice and peaceful. Vegas is up there too. I want to go visit New York City someday too, it'll probably crack the top 5 when I do .

Dr. Gonzo
04-04-2009, 03:43 PM
One of the reasons I loved New York was because of all the great comedy clubs. I had a blast going to a new one every night. I think for that reason I will love LA when I finally get around to going (likely I will be heading down there for a couple days this Fall after Vegas).

comahan
04-04-2009, 03:44 PM
New Caprica. Home to the greatest story arc in Television history!

Dr. Gonzo
04-04-2009, 03:47 PM
New Caprica. Home to the greatest story arc in Television history!

To that I say old Caprica, soon to be home to one of the great television shows. I hope.

Eaglez.Fan
04-04-2009, 03:51 PM
1. London
2. New York
3. Barcelona
4. Paris
5. LA

Brent
04-04-2009, 03:56 PM
One of the reasons I loved New York was because of all the great comedy clubs. I had a blast going to a new one every night. I think for that reason I will love LA when I finally get around to going (likely I will be heading down there for a couple days this Fall after Vegas).
UCB improv is the best.

El Peefs?????
04-04-2009, 03:57 PM
I don't have a favorite city. Once I finally get to visit Geneva, Prague, & Amsterdam this may change.

Malaka
04-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Although I have never been there, from what I have heard Amsterdam seems like the greatest city ever... I really want to go there one day, anyone who has been there any opinion.

ChezPower4
04-04-2009, 04:26 PM
1. London
2. New York
3. Barcelona
4. Paris
5. LA

I'd love to visit Barcelona, going to a Barcelona soccer game is on my list of things to do before I die. They do happen to be my favorite soccer team :D

someone447
04-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Outside of Dallas:

1) San Fransisco
2) Las Vegas
3) Corpus Christie

I've yet to visit the east coast.

Really? Really? Corpus is a shithole.

1) Austin, TX
2) Portland, OR
3) Milwaukee, WI (Only during the summer, when they have a different festival every weekend. Like I need an excuse to get drunk.)

Obviously I like live music.

Paul
04-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Really? Really? Corpus is a shithole.

1) Austin, TX
2) Portland, OR
3) Milwaukee, WI (Only during the summer, when they have a different festival every weekend. Like I need an excuse to get drunk.)

Obviously I like live music.

I was there the one time for a wedding and it was great.

yourfavestoner
04-04-2009, 05:13 PM
Wow, this is a hard one. There's no place like home, so I'm not gonna count LA.

1. San Diego, CA - Paradise. Perfect weather. Perfect women. Always something to do. Laid back, beach attitude.
2. San Francisco, CA - Just for how absolutely crazy it is. No place like it. Craziest people you will ever meet.
3. Miami, FL - If I had to describe it, I'd say it's a combination of Los Angeles and San Diego, except much hotter.

Brent
04-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Austin, TX
I love Austin but I can't stand the Austin hipsters. Funny thing about them though is that they pick up on hipster trends way after people in bigger cities do haha. Like fixed gear bikes, for example.

JHG722
04-04-2009, 05:19 PM
I'd love to visit Barcelona, going to a Barcelona soccer game is on my list of things to do before I die. They do happen to be my favorite soccer team :D

I hated Barcelona (and all of Spain, really)

Malaka
04-04-2009, 05:26 PM
I hated Barcelona (and all of Spain, really)

Why you hating on my country!?!?!? >=(

jk but why did you hate Spain?

Rob S
04-04-2009, 05:47 PM
1 NYC
2 London
3 Rome
4 Paris
5t Amsterdam
5t Florence

Honorable mentions: San Fran and Seattle and Barcelona

ccB
04-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Amsterdam. besides the weed and the red light districts, its just such a chilled city, cool sightings, nice museums, more waterways than venice

It's my lifes goal to make it there one day.

Rob S
04-04-2009, 07:34 PM
It's my lifes goal to make it there one day.

you would love it.....it was a highlight of my European tour.

bernbabybern820
04-04-2009, 07:48 PM
I absolutely loved visiting San Fran but i guess it helped that my sister won some sort of NYU sweepstakes prize which gave her $2500 for plane tickets and a $500 American Express money card. I got a damn sunburn on my face in 60 degree weather which was weird. I also got scared by some guy hiding in the bushes. I probably take NYC for granted though since i live so close.

Gay Ork Wang
04-04-2009, 08:07 PM
To that I say old Caprica, soon to be home to one of the great television shows. I hope.
Best City: Neptune!

kalbears13
04-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Juneau, Alaska during the summer.

I like the Cleveland area, but I don't live there and most of my family does so I'll fly out there and there's always good food and plenty of fun things to do (except the Browns always lose when I go see them).

I really like Norcal despite my extreme hate for the word "hella".

CJSchneider
04-04-2009, 08:24 PM
I can't forget to add Natchitoches, LA. It is were I went to college (NSU) and where they filmed the movie "Steel Magnolias". It's a great little town.

fischbowl
04-04-2009, 09:48 PM
UCB improv is the best.

UCB is the ******* best.

As for my cities:

1) Buffalo - There's no place like home
2) Toronto - Many a visit there + TIFF
3) Vancouver
4) Montreal - Planning a Return Visit Soon
5) Minneapolis
6) NYC - It Get's Less Cool When You Live There
7) Sydney - Want to See It On My Own Terms

Gay Ork Wang
04-04-2009, 09:54 PM
you would love it.....it was a highlight of my European tour.
seriously though, its awesome, even without the weed and stuff

Dr. Gonzo
04-04-2009, 09:58 PM
seriously though, its awesome, even without the weed and stuff

If you aren't going for the weed what's the point? It would be like finding out candy is illegal almost everywhere but there is one place that sells some of the best candy in the world and it is legal but when you go there you turn the candy down. Not that I am advocating illegal drug use of course...

Gay Ork Wang
04-04-2009, 09:59 PM
If you aren't going for the weed what's the point? It would be like finding out candy is illegal almost everywhere but there is one place that sells some of the best candy in the world and it is legal but when you go there you turn the candy down. Not that I am advocating illegal drug use of course...
no im just saying that its not just awesome because of the weed.
id never say no

Dr. Gonzo
04-04-2009, 10:00 PM
no im just saying that its not just awesome because of the weed.
id never say no

Fair enough. I'm just making sure you wouldn't turn down primo candy.

Gay Ork Wang
04-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Fair enough. I'm just making sure you wouldn't turn down primo candy.
im going to amsterdam this summer with friends. its gonna be awesome

one part of the senior class made their senior trip to amsterdam

Dr. Gonzo
04-04-2009, 10:09 PM
im going to amsterdam this summer with friends. its gonna be awesome

one part of the senior class made their senior trip to amsterdam

You lucky bastard. I envy you. I think I will make it down there within the next 5 years but that's still not soon enough.

Gay Ork Wang
04-04-2009, 10:11 PM
and i will hardly ever going to see a NFL game in RL

Dr. Gonzo
04-04-2009, 10:13 PM
and i will hardly ever going to see a NFL game in RL

I see your point. I guess the trade off is somewhat fact. It still is a lot harder for me to see an NFL game than it is for most people here but I would rather spend a few hundred on travel to get to a game than thousands.

Brent
04-04-2009, 10:40 PM
my extreme hate for the word "hella".
Quiet you!

TitanHope
04-04-2009, 10:51 PM
I just got back from Chatanooga. There are absolutely NO fast food places. I was hungry and low on dough, I ended up piling some stuff up at a gas station. Other than that, it's alright. No Nashville, that's fa sho.

Lies! Chatt-town has the only Taco Bells until the South Pittsburgh exit (which is fast food heaven), and we have Krystals!

KRYSTALZ!!!

The great thing about Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga is that they're all different from one another. They all have a different feel. Where as Chattanooga you're like, "Oh look! A mountain!" in Memphis you're like, "Oh look! A drive-by!"

Anyway, New York City is my favorite city, but Chattanooga and Memphis hold a special place in my heart.

diabsoule
04-04-2009, 11:46 PM
Favorite cities I've been to:

1. New Orleans, LA
2. Memphis, TN
3. Washington D.C.
4. Baldwin County, Alabama
5. Pittsburgh, PA

kalbears13
04-05-2009, 01:28 AM
Quiet you!

Oh noes! You use it?!?! AUGHH!

I might have to take back my congrats on the 10K... :P

Brent
04-05-2009, 02:42 AM
Oh noes! You use it?!?! AUGHH!

I might have to take back my congrats on the 10K... :P
Nah, I think it's stupid but I have to defend my fellow NorCal peoples.

jayceheathman
04-05-2009, 03:56 AM

I completely agree. Its definitely is not worth the hype that everyone gives it. I went for my little brother's 21st a couple of weeks ago and he wanted to party in New York New York but the wait was at least 2 hours. We got cards that said free admission earlier that day so we went up to the guys at the front and asked what to do with those. He said with those cards you could either wait in the 2-3 hour line or skip it completely and buy at least one bottle of liquor. You may think thats not bad but here comes the catch. He tells us that the cheapest bottle of liquor they sell is $295. The thing is, if you have boobs and a vagina and there is more than one of you there with no guys then you get in absolutely free with no wait at all. Its blasphemy....I would rather spend my money on the shows and nice dinners rather than the slots. The funnest part of the trip was riding the XScream on top of the Stratosphere. Its crazy if anyone gets a chance to ride it.

Gay Ork Wang
04-05-2009, 05:47 AM
You lucky bastard. I envy you. I think I will make it down there within the next 5 years but that's still not soon enough.
i could go to london sometime

awfullyquiet
04-05-2009, 12:53 PM
quick list

1) DC
2) Montreal

Wootylicous
04-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Well there is a lot of Montreal in this list!

1- Paris
2- Montreal (no place like home :D)
3- Madrid
4- Vancouver
5- Roma

P-L
04-05-2009, 01:15 PM
I haven't traveled much at all. The only country outside of the U.S. has been Canada. I was planning on going to Brazil this year, but I had to back out because of more important obligations. I've also only been to seven or eight states.

With that said, I think Boston has been my favorite city. I did not care for New York. I see why people like it a lot, but it's just not for me. I've also been to Chicago but we weren't there long enough to give it a fair evaluation.

kalbears13
04-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Nah, I think it's stupid but I have to defend my fellow NorCal peoples.

So you don't get hyphy?

I forgot my favorite city...Paradise City. Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty.

Brent
04-05-2009, 01:23 PM
1) DC
Georgetown doesnt count.

So you don't get hyphy?
Definitely not.

Don Vito
04-05-2009, 01:25 PM
1. Boston
2. New Orleans
3. Nashville
4. Atlanta
5. Chicago

Grizzlegom
04-05-2009, 01:29 PM
1. New York City
2. Barcelona, Spain
3. Boston
4. Geneva, Switzerland

I noticed a couple of people put Paris and I was there and I hated it. It was the dirtiest city I've ever been to. I bet if I spoke French it might have been a little better but I still really didn't like it.

ChezPower4
04-05-2009, 01:33 PM
1. Boston
2. New Orleans
3. Nashville
4. Atlanta
5. Chicago

Is Nashville really that fun?

wicket
04-05-2009, 01:37 PM
1 Londen
2 Rome
3 Rotterdam (home sweet home)
4 Prague
5 Berlin

My most overrated cities: Amsterdam, Barcelona, Budapest, Paris and Monte Carlo.

art vandelay
04-05-2009, 01:46 PM
1. NYC
2. San Diego, CA

Most overrated city: LA

yourfavestoner
04-05-2009, 01:50 PM
Juneau, Alaska during the summer.

I like the Cleveland area, but I don't live there and most of my family does so I'll fly out there and there's always good food and plenty of fun things to do (except the Browns always lose when I go see them).

I really like Norcal despite my extreme hate for the word "hella".

I'm a SoCal boy, but I absolutely love NorCal. It's a different world up there.

CashmoneyDrew
04-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Is Nashville really that fun?

Nashville=Win.

ChezPower4
04-06-2009, 12:47 AM
Nashville=Win.

How so, I had to stay in the airport there for like 2 hours and they kept playing country music and i hate country. So I've really haven't wanted to go back. It's pretty lame to make assumptions based on being laid over in an airport.

Beans
04-06-2009, 12:49 AM
all about nyc

i like cincinnati too

ChezPower4
04-06-2009, 12:52 AM
all about nyc

i like cincinnati too

I need to visit NYC already :(

JHG722
04-06-2009, 01:13 AM
1. New York City
2. Barcelona, Spain
3. Boston
4. Geneva, Switzerland

I noticed a couple of people put Paris and I was there and I hated it. It was the dirtiest city I've ever been to. I bet if I spoke French it might have been a little better but I still really didn't like it.

Barcelona wasn't much better.

7-11
04-06-2009, 03:11 AM
Barcalona - not normally a fan of big cities, but i found it to be truly amazing

Buenos Aires - the nightlife, the ridiculously hot girls that are fascinated by Australian dickheads, the food...all add up to make an awesome place

Puerto Escondido - best beach break in the world and a really chill place

Rio de Janiero - i could sit on Ipanema beach drinking beer for the rest of my life and be quite happy

Amsterdam - you all know the deal with this place

La Paz - read the book 'marching powder' and i promise you'll want to go there

That's the top 6 that i've been to, don't think i could live in in any of them besides Barcalona but they were just awesome to visit.

And i can't forget Newcastle, i love my hometown

7-11
04-06-2009, 03:12 AM
Barcelona wasn't much better.

True, some of those backstreets smelt like dick, but it was still so so good.

And i also hated Paris, honestly just did not see the appeal of an overpriced city full of tourists

drowe
04-06-2009, 03:34 PM
i like cities that have their own feel and identity. and when i travel, i like to see the sights, eat the food and drink the beer.

1-Seattle

2-DC

3-Milwaukee-yeah, someone said it. go there during the summer, and it's a blast. walk around downtown and hit up a couple brew pubs, then go to the Summerfest grounds for whatever ethnic festival they have that week. serioulsy, any time food, beer and live music get together, it's always a good time...doesn't matter if it's Irish Fest, Italian Fest, German Fest, One-Legged-Lesbian Fest. always fun.

I'd really like to go to Portland, and some random big cities in the northeast...Nashua, NH or Bangor ME. i think i'd enjoy those places.

I want to list my least favorite cities, but i don't want to turn this thread in that direction.

CashmoneyDrew
04-06-2009, 03:36 PM
I want to list my least favorite cities, but i don't want to turn this thread in that direction.

Go ahead man. It's just another end of the spectrum. I've said some things about cities I don't like.

drowe
04-06-2009, 03:43 PM
LEAST favorite cities:

-Detroit. even though i've only been to the airport, i still hate it. it's a big hub for airlines, so it seems every time i fly, i end up in Detroit for many many many hours.

-Minneapolis/St. Paul-really. nothing good in these cities.

----also, i've never been there, but i don't think i'd like Vegas. like i said earlier, i like cities that have their own identity...and Vegas just seems like a whole city of fakeness.

Addict
04-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Barcalona - not normally a fan of big cities, but i found it to be truly amazing

Buenos Aires - the nightlife, the ridiculously hot girls that are fascinated by Australian dickheads, the food...all add up to make an awesome place

Puerto Escondido - best beach break in the world and a really chill place

Rio de Janiero - i could sit on Ipanema beach drinking beer for the rest of my life and be quite happy

Amsterdam - you all know the deal with this place

La Paz - read the book 'marching powder' and i promise you'll want to go there

That's the top 6 that i've been to, don't think i could live in in any of them besides Barcalona but they were just awesome to visit.

And i can't forget Newcastle, i love my hometown

wow, thanks for stigmatizing the capital city of my contry, which has it's fair share of great museums, sights and some pretty unique architecture to nothing more than a brothel where you can smoke weed. Thanks a bunch.

On topic: my favourite city in the world is Paris. Even though I do like Nice as well.

slightlyaraiderfan
04-06-2009, 03:54 PM
I love Los Angeles.

art vandelay
04-06-2009, 04:04 PM
I love Los Angeles.

I don't understand the draw. So much traffic, you have to drive everywhere, almost impossible to walk.

drowe
04-06-2009, 04:15 PM
I don't understand the draw. So much traffic, you have to drive everywhere, almost impossible to walk.

i like SoCal...except for LA proper. i'm sure that, just like any city, it'd be fun if ya know where to go...but, my impression of LA was always the dump you drive through to get to the fun places.

art vandelay
04-06-2009, 04:21 PM
i like SoCal...except for LA proper. i'm sure that, just like any city, it'd be fun if ya know where to go...but, my impression of LA was always the dump you drive through to get to the fun places.

I agree - I really enjoyed SoCal. LA was my least favorite. I enjoyed NorCal too, but not as much. San Fran was really cool though.

JHG722
04-06-2009, 04:51 PM

LA is a terrible, terrible city.

slightlyaraiderfan
04-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Well, it has everything. Living here you get use to the traffic and the size of it, although, it doesn't seem that big to me, since I do a lot of traveling around L.A. and Orange county. And for me, being a big music fan, the scene here is the best. And there is a bunch of other stuff that makes it better then your cities.

the dude
04-06-2009, 06:47 PM
in random order

san diego - cool city, nice people (and had my first live nfl experience)

rome - beautiful city, great food

amsterdam - probably my fav city. quite simply a nice place to be

Copenhagen - homer pick but its a really cool place

honorable mention: stockholm, geneva, berlin, tallin

Addict
04-06-2009, 06:49 PM
in random order

san diego - cool city, nice people (and had my first live nfl experience)

rome - beautiful city, great food

amsterdam - probably my fav city. quite simply a nice place to be

Copenhagen - homer pick but its a really cool place

honorable mention: stockholm, geneva, berlin, tallin

oh Copenhagen is awesome. It's such a nice city. Feels like a town, in a good way.

Dr. Gonzo
04-06-2009, 07:06 PM
wow, thanks for stigmatizing the capital city of my contry, which has it's fair share of great museums, sights and some pretty unique architecture to nothing more than a brothel where you can smoke weed. Thanks a bunch.

On topic: my favourite city in the world is Paris. Even though I do like Nice as well.

If the capital of Canada was a haven of drugs and prostitution I would be proud not ashamed.

aNYtitan
04-06-2009, 07:17 PM
I really have to vacation more often. I can only say I have been to Boston, Las Vegas and Philadelphia, plus Ecuador. I want to be a ****** world traveler

7-11
04-06-2009, 07:50 PM

Well how about you get off your high horse and calm down a little. Considering i can smoke weed and go to a brothel here why would those be the reasons i like Amsterdam so much? Sorry for liking something in your home country, i'll try not to do it again.

Cities that appeal to me are usually the ones that give me a bit of a culture shock at first, yet still feel like a place you could get used to and feel at home in, Amsterdam happens to be one of those.

And think about it, i listed La Paz, a place where you can buy cocaine and marijuana over the bar in 4 different licensed establishments, so i really don't think the excitement of partially legalised marijuana was the reason for me liking Amsterdam.

doingthisinsteadofwork
04-06-2009, 08:52 PM
I like Capetown the best.

Rob S
04-06-2009, 09:01 PM
I need to visit NYC already :(

see a cotto fight........amazing atmosphere dude.

andyjo672
04-06-2009, 10:22 PM
Thankfully because of work I've had the opportunity to do quite a bit of traveling. That being said:

1). Madison, WI
2). Chicago
3). San Francisco
4). Cabo-Best place in Mexico, by far and I've been to 6 other destination cities
5a). NYC
5b). Washington DC
6). Boston
7). Minneapolis-To the person that said there's nothing to do there, they obviously were there during the winter and didn't go out at nights
8). Munich
9). Montego Bay, Jamaica
10). Puerto Vallarta
11). Miami
12). Cancun
13). Atlanta
14). Philadelphia-I wragged on it before, but now that I'm no longer living in Center City and going there every week, I admit, I miss it...
15). Denver

Worst Cities:
1). Heidelberg, Germany-Nothing to do, don't accept credit cards, which is annoying
2). Mazaltan-Never been more happy to come home from Spring Break
3). Newark-Yikes
4). LA
5). Frankfurt

I'm discounting places like Detroit, Dallas, Houston and several other cities that I wasn't in for more than a few days so can't formulate a good opinion on them.

PS: Going to Paris and Nice this summer with the girlfriend. Any recommendations? Basically doing all the standard tourist stuff in Paris for 5 days and then spending 4 days in Nice. Plan on taking a boat cruise to St. Tropez if its worth it...

Rob S
04-06-2009, 10:34 PM
Thankfully because of work I've had the opportunity to do quite a bit of traveling. That being said:

1). Madison, WI
2). Chicago
3). San Francisco
4). Cabo-Best place in Mexico, by far and I've been to 6 other destination cities
5a). NYC
5b). Washington DC
6). Boston
7). Minneapolis-To the person that said there's nothing to do there, they obviously were there during the winter and didn't go out at nights
8). Munich
9). Montego Bay, Jamaica
10). Puerto Vallarta
11). Miami
12). Cancun
13). Atlanta
14). Philadelphia-I wragged on it before, but now that I'm no longer living in Center City and going there every week, I admit, I miss it...
15). Denver

Worst Cities:
1). Heidelberg, Germany-Nothing to do, don't accept credit cards, which is annoying
3). Newark-Yikes
4). LA
5). Frankfurt

I'm discounting places like Detroit, Dallas, Houston and several other cities that I wasn't in for more than a few days so can't formulate a good opinion on them.

PS: Going to Paris and Nice this summer with the girlfriend. Any recommendations? Basically doing all the standard tourist stuff in Paris for 5 days and then spending 4 days in Nice. Plan on taking a boat cruise to St. Tropez if its worth it...

tourist stuff will pretty much jam pack 5 days in Paris, especially if you are a museum buff like me. I studied there for 5 weeks and didnt see everything I wanted.......it is absolutely loaded.

Im_a_Romosexual
04-06-2009, 10:37 PM

1). Madison, WI

Madison over all those others? (Boston, DC,Chicago that I've been to) There are definitely things to like about Mad town, but I don't see how it could be #1

not to hate, just don't think Madison is THAT great

andyjo672
04-06-2009, 10:38 PM
tourist stuff will pretty much jam pack 5 days in Paris, especially if you are a museum buff like me. I studied there for 5 weeks and didnt see everything I wanted.......it is absolutely loaded.

I'm definitely seeing that. I bought a few of the Rick Steves books and I think we have a good itinerary charted out. Any of the following that should be crossed off?

-The Louvre
-Orsay
-Versailles
-Notre Dame
-Napoleon's Tomb
-Champs Elysses
-Eiffel Tower

andyjo672
04-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Madison over all those others? (Boston, DC,Chicago that I've been to) There are definitely things to like about Mad town, but I don't see how it could be #1

not to hate, just don't think Madison is THAT great

I went to school there and will put my college experience against ANYONES and that alone made it the best city for me. It will always have a soft spot in my heart and will always be my favorite place to go back and visit.

The Student Union, right on the lake, and it sells beer
State Street
Camp Randall football games
The KK

All of it is absolutely great.

Rob S
04-06-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm definitely seeing that. I bought a few of the Rick Steves books and I think we have a good itinerary charted out. Any of the following that should be crossed off?

-The Louvre
-Orsay
-Versailles
-Notre Dame
-Napoleon's Tomb
-Champs Elysses
-Eiffel Tower

No, absolutely not. Champs Elysses is meh if you dont like shopping, but I assume your including the arc in that part of your itinerary.

Some others:

Saint Chapelle is a cant miss........the stained glass is absolutely amazing

The Rodin Museum.......sculpture mainly and has the Thinker

Musee l'Orangerie........some good stuff

The Picasso Museum.......I'm not a Picasso guy, but its a nice collection

Seriously tho......its going to be tough doing all that if you are a museum guy......I spent a good 3 days in the Louvre and didnt really feel like I saw it all, the place is amazing.

And I know some night spots, but night life is generally expensive in Paris.......there are a few cheap spots tho. I usually just bought beers at stands and snuck them into bars......buy one beer at the place and keep filling it under the table.

Brent
04-06-2009, 10:58 PM
I'm discounting places like Detroit, Dallas, Houston and several other cities that I wasn't in for more than a few days so can't formulate a good opinion on them
Both of those, especially Dallas, aren't tourist friendly but rather better suited for living as opposed to visiting.

Hawk
04-06-2009, 11:26 PM
Nashville is great, I grew up in the area.

but other places include:

Las Vegas
Charleston, SC
Nassau, Bahamas
Chicago

And I want to go to Los Angeles and NYC.

Christopher Hitchens
04-06-2009, 11:28 PM
Anyone who lives in a 'city' is obviously intellectually inferior to myself. I live in the country and raise a prized breed of Shetland Pony's. Therefore you city folk are lacking in brain capacity.

Sniper
04-06-2009, 11:32 PM
Anyone who lives in a 'city' is obviously intellectually inferior to myself. I live in the country and raise a prized breed of Shetland Pony's. Therefore you city folk are lacking in brain capacity.

Your spelling of the word "ponies" clearly demonstrates your superior intelligence.

Christopher Hitchens
04-06-2009, 11:42 PM
Your spelling of the word "ponies" clearly demonstrates your superior intelligence.

Obviously you missed the implied meaning of the word pony. Your mere correction shows the lack of intelligent argument but instead a failed attempt at elementary correction. You sir fail at life.

themaninblack
04-07-2009, 02:29 AM

-The Louvre
-Orsay
-Versailles
-Notre Dame
-Napoleon's Tomb
-Champs Elysses
-Eiffel Tower

Never been to Paris but studied French for years and a couple of places that you should think about adding(IMO) are:

Montmartre and The Sacre Couer
Latin Quarter
Sainte-Chappelle
The Pantheon
Pere Lachaise

Seems like you got a pretty full itinerary anyway but those were some of the places that seemed the most interesting to me in my studies. Oh ya, and while you are in Nice you might want to go to Cannes and Monaco which are both relatively close.

I need to go to France ASAP.

Gay Ork Wang
04-07-2009, 04:32 AM

1). Madison, WI
2). Chicago
3). San Francisco
5a). NYC
5b). Washington DC
6). Boston
8). Munich
9). Montego Bay, Jamaica
10). Puerto Vallarta
11). Miami
12). Cancun
13). Atlanta
15). Denver

Worst Cities:
3). Newark-Yikes
4). LA
5). Frankfurt

ha frankfurt is pretty horrible. what didnt u like?

Rob S
04-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Never been to Paris but studied French for years and a couple of places that you should think about adding(IMO) are:

Montmartre and The Sacre Couer
Latin Quarter
Sainte-Chappelle
The Pantheon
Pere Lachaise

Seems like you got a pretty full itinerary anyway but those were some of the places that seemed the most interesting to me in my studies. Oh ya, and while you are in Nice you might want to go to Cannes and Monaco which are both relatively close.

I need to go to France ASAP.

Oh man how did I forget Sacre Couer........an absolute must.

Pantheon is cool too.....it was a little expensive tho if I remember correctly. The Latin Quarter is cool for walking around and cheap eats.

ChezPower4
04-07-2009, 10:44 AM

1). Madison, WI
2). Chicago
3). San Francisco
5a). NYC
5b). Washington DC
6). Boston
8). Munich
9). Montego Bay, Jamaica
10). Puerto Vallarta
11). Miami
12). Cancun
13). Atlanta
15). Denver

Worst Cities:
3). Newark-Yikes
4). LA
5). Frankfurt

Miami at 11? I live in Chicago and It's an awesome city but there is no way that Chicago is better than Miami.

awfullyquiet
04-07-2009, 11:37 AM
I like Capetown the best.

CT is alright...

little sketch, but the entire area surrounding it, stellenbosch is gorgeous, a cyclists paradise... and the beaches are top notch... cape is like rio only more english speaking and less nuts...

on chicago: if you really dive into what chicago is, there's more sustenance than miami, the true amalgam of cultures makes chicago wonderful... and besides, it's like new york without all the douchebaggery...

i will admit the el sucks, the cta in general sucks, but part of that is due to the inability of mayor richard j. daley to actually tax people to use city streets to cut down on congestion and make them want to use our great public transportation services that we could have instead of cutting routes because everyone is driving.

jballa838
04-07-2009, 11:43 AM
if you ski you can't top Park City. but I don't so here is my top 2 (i am 17, don't travel a lot):
1. Seattle
2. Portland

drowe
04-08-2009, 10:18 AM
I went to school there and will put my college experience against ANYONES and that alone made it the best city for me. It will always have a soft spot in my heart and will always be my favorite place to go back and visit.

The Student Union, right on the lake, and it sells beer
State Street
Camp Randall football games
The KK

All of it is absolutely great.

yeah, i lived in Madison for 2 years while my wife got her masters at UW. very very very cool city. such an atmosphere, and the student union in summer is tough to beat. we just went there randomly and knew we'd run into people we knew.

also, The Great Dane is the greatest bar in the history of the world.

Brent
04-08-2009, 11:07 AM
CT is alright...
Have you been surfing yet? I have always wanted to surf in Capetown. I hear that Hout Bay has some ridiculous waves.

ChezPower4
04-08-2009, 11:11 AM
if you ski you can't top Park City. but I don't so here is my top 2 (i am 17, don't travel a lot):
1. Seattle
2. Portland

Seattle is a great city, I love going there and just hanging out around the city. Plus it's so green there, as well as they have phenomenal Sushi restaurants.