PDA

View Full Version : Ken Hamlin

SanFran
03-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Ken Hamlin! his a free agent ,havn't heard any news about him and where his headed. He is a good safety physical and hard nose/sure tackler but i guess teams are not interested in him because of his play after coming of that skull fractured injury....so any news on him or his potential as a starting Safety in NFL?

Tubby
03-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Ken Hamlin is one of the best young safety in the NFL, and is definately top 5 in stuffing the run. I will murder somebody if we dont resign him.

By the way, a thread nearly identical to this was posted in the seahawks team board.

Auron
03-06-2007, 09:56 PM
I'm interested in news about him as well.

I read he met with the Saints earlier, but I don't think anything has come of it yet.

SanFran
03-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Man Being a Niner Fan and Playing against the Seahawks i enjoyed Hamlins play a that safety position i believe he is a top 10 but his play this season was below par because Next guy to him wasnt playing well (M.Boulware)

Number 10
03-06-2007, 10:07 PM
I'd take him on the Giants in a heartbeat.

Chucky
03-06-2007, 10:15 PM
hes the number one safety available

diabsoule
03-06-2007, 10:34 PM
I heard that the Saints are really pursuing him. I hope we get him.

XxXdragonXxX
03-06-2007, 11:38 PM
The Saints ahve had visits from Grant, Kaesviharn and Hamlin. There is a rumor that they will sign "a safety" tommorrow...hopefully it's not Hamlin.

Damix
03-06-2007, 11:42 PM
Is he a SS or FS?

Tubby
03-06-2007, 11:46 PM
Is he a SS or FS?

He played FS but he could play SS if need be

Caddy
I'd love to have Hamlin as a Buc. Instant upgrade to our secondary.

Saints Dome Patrol
Is he a SS or FS?

You know, I've been asking the same question myself... since the NFL.com bio has him as a free safety, but I've also seen him listed as a cornerback, so I have no idea.

Y'all's guess is as good as mine... :confused:

themaninblack
03-06-2007, 11:47 PM
how is he in coverage?

Tubby
03-06-2007, 11:48 PM
You know, I've been asking the same question myself... since the NFL.com bio has him as a free safety, but I've also seen him listed as a cornerback, so I have no idea.

Y'all's guess is as good as mine... :confused:

He played FS but he could play SS if need be

10 characters

Tubby
03-06-2007, 11:49 PM
how is he in coverage?

He is good in coverage, but he shines against the run

I would like to remind everybody that I have answered all your questions in the seahawks team board if you would care to check there before posting here.

Eagles own the NFC East
03-06-2007, 11:54 PM
this ***** is comin to philly

fenikz
03-07-2007, 12:06 AM
ive heard that he wants to follow his DB coach to AZ, im not sure if there is any truth to it though?

diabsoule
03-07-2007, 01:25 AM
ive heard that he wants to follow his DB coach to AZ, im not sure if there is any truth to it though?

That really would not suprise if he signs w/ Arizona, which would give them an incredible S tandem in Adrian Wilson and Ken Hamlin.

It would also not suprise me if the Saints do not sign him and he signs w/ another team. Such is our luck.

TheChampIsHere
03-07-2007, 02:54 AM
he plays FS, but hes really better fit at SS. He plays FS cuz the Seahawks have Boulware at the other S spot and he is a former LB with no business playing FS. Hes a big hitter and a solid all around player whoever gets him is getting a solid addition. Im impressed how well he came back from his fractured skull when (I think) someone hit him with a pole from a street sign? Am I right thats how he got hurt?

JagHombre22
03-07-2007, 06:45 AM
I know the Jags have shown some interest...

eaglesalltheway
03-07-2007, 10:06 AM
I would love it if he came to Philly. He would fill our biggest need, so we could worry about other things in the draft. I doubt he becomes an Eagle though, because we don;t have very much cap room and he is the best safety abvailable. It would be nice though.

Jughead10
03-07-2007, 10:15 AM
I wonder if his off the field incident is a factor here in not more teams pursuing him or throwing money at him immediately.

HawkeyeFan
03-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Even though he played for a rival I loved Ken Hamlin. Hard hititer (Ask Torry Holt) and a physical run stopper.

Just what we need.

Jhasley10
03-07-2007, 11:10 AM
still made one of my favorite hits of all time....when he sent donte stallworth to another world.

swagger
03-07-2007, 12:36 PM
I'd take him on the Giants in a heartbeat.

Please, get Will Demps off the field.

Vince Lombardi
03-07-2007, 12:59 PM
I'd expect GB to show some interest being that he has connections with Ted Thompson and the fact that we need a SS to start alongside Nick Collins.

swagger
03-07-2007, 01:18 PM
I'd expect GB to show some interest being that he has connections with Ted Thompson and the fact that we need a SS to start alongside Nick Collins.

Ted Thompson was a real genius bringing in Marquand Manual. That worked out well.

Vince Lombardi
03-07-2007, 01:45 PM
Ted Thompson was a real genius bringing in Marquand Manual. That worked out well.

What does that have to do with anything? If you're going to make a comment atleast try to put some thought into it. So by your logic, since one of his free agent signings didn't pan out then he shouldn't bother looking at any other talented fa's? Manual was a decent player when he was at Seattle until he got injured, it was clear last year that he still wasn't 100%. Who knows he may still emerge as the starter now that he's had time to properly recover.:rolleyes:

Tubby
03-07-2007, 02:50 PM
http://www.seahawks.com/ConPics/Con2889/HamlinHawk0908.jpg

Larry
03-07-2007, 02:54 PM
lol stallworths face looks like it's breaking out.

eaglesalltheway
03-07-2007, 06:55 PM
His face just looks like it is breaking.

Flyboy
03-07-2007, 06:59 PM
Last weekend he was basically in NOLA for three days and left without a contract. Bleh.

smittyjs
03-07-2007, 07:00 PM
He will be here in Nashville Friday, talking to the Titans.

defensiveback23
03-07-2007, 07:04 PM
I'm surprised the Chargers haven't made a run at him. We need a new SS after Kiel was cut. Hamlin would fit in at either free or strong because the two positions are basically the same in our defense. I guess that club fight he got into called his character into concern and we didn't want to take a chance with him.

thefalconer
03-07-2007, 07:04 PM
any word on him having interest with the falcons? i would hate playing against him twice a season if he went to the saints..

etk
03-07-2007, 07:08 PM
any word on him having interest with the falcons? i would hate playing against him twice a season if he went to the saints..

Or Bucs......or Panthers too now that I think about it. Our whole division could use him.

Beans
03-07-2007, 07:13 PM
I'd love to see him in Tampa.

thefalconer
03-07-2007, 07:25 PM
I'd love to see him in Tampa.

i would hate to see him as a buc.. or as any other nfc south rival. i would take hamlin over the safeties in the draft. there is always the 'bust' factor.

Microphon200
03-07-2007, 07:29 PM
I'd love to have Hamlin as a Buc. Instant upgrade to our secondary.

About half the Bucs defense needs and upgrade because they're so old.

cunningham06
03-07-2007, 09:20 PM
It would be awesome if the Eagles or the Texans could land Hamlin. Both teams need safety help. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a good sized contract, so many teams have safety needs and he's the cream of the crop in FA.

evershot
03-07-2007, 09:44 PM
I think the reason why Hamlin hasn't been approached yet is because there is still a huge medical concern about his long term health.

I don't think there will be many teams willing to give him a huge payday that he is looking for.

gbpackers0065
03-07-2007, 09:52 PM

in the event hamlin signs withthe pack collins would move back to his natural position of SS

didnt hamlin also get destroyd by the bears

Xenos
03-08-2007, 12:37 AM
I'm surprised the Chargers haven't made a run at him. We need a new SS after Kiel was cut. Hamlin would fit in at either free or strong because the two positions are basically the same in our defense. I guess that club fight he got into called his character into concern and we didn't want to take a chance with him.

That and the fact that we don't have any money left to sign another big name FA.

defensiveback23
03-08-2007, 12:41 AM
That and the fact that we don't have any money left to sign another big name FA.

I didn't think we were that low. I'm sure if we really wanted somebody we could pull some strings to get him.

Chaucer
03-08-2007, 01:00 AM
man, im suprised this guy hasnt signed yet, one fo the top safteys in the league, usually the top players go quick. i see him back in seattle, but im intrigued abt the DB coach in arizona.

Xenos
03-08-2007, 01:21 AM
I didn't think we were that low. I'm sure if we really wanted somebody we could pull some strings to get him.

Oh I'm sure we could sign him if we wanted. But I don't see it happening unless you feel like going into cap hell again.
Someone from the official chargers website has done a better job than me of explaining why we won't be going after big names like Hamlin, or even Grant (who I want).

Thunderstruck:
One of the reasons we're inactive in free agency is because we just don't have that much money left under the cap. Back on March 3rd we were at around $12.2 million under the cap. Since then we've signed Dielman, Withrow, and Floyd. That's another $8 million at least.

Everyone remembers that we were supposed to be over $20 million under the cap this offseason. And then everyone forgets about all the players we've signed. We've signed 14 players since the offseason began, including sizeable contracts to Dielman and Phillips and a high tender of $2.3 million to Michael Turner. (I think a lot of people are under the mistaken impression that Shaun Phillips contract is $17 million for 6 years. That's wrong. $17 million is what he's guaranteed. His contract is more likely pays him $4.5 to $5 million per year under the cap.)

The money goes quickly when you move quickly to retain players.

I would be surprised if we're more than $5 or (at the most) $6 million under the cap right now, and we know that AJ likes to keep $2 or $3 million available in case we need to acquire a player in an emergency, like when we got McCardell to replace Caldwell in '04.

We may be able to unload Turner's $2.3 million if we trade him. But beyond that we're pretty tight on money now. This is why I laugh when people say we've "done nothing" this offseason. That's wrong. We've signed a whole bunch of guys. We just aren't spending the money on other teams' guys.
Also, the league has reduced our salary cap number. While the salary cap is increasing to $109 million this year, our salary cap is less than $107 million.

We had a player or two earn some "unlikely to be earned incentives," money that was not accounted for under last year's cap but the player earned as incentives, and when that happens the number is deducted from the team's next-years salary cap availability. Our salary cap is $106.7 million for 2007, not $109 million.

Yes, I think our available money has become very lean indeed.

Vince Lombardi
03-08-2007, 08:36 AM
in the event hamlin signs withthe pack collins would move back to his natural position of SS

I doubt it. Remember, Hamlin is more of a run stopping in the box type safety, whereas Collins is athletic enough that many teams scouted him as a possible CB.

ncst8fan83
03-09-2007, 09:55 AM
man, im suprised this guy hasnt signed yet, one fo the top safteys in the league, usually the top players go quick. i see him back in seattle, but im intrigued abt the DB coach in arizona.

'zona just signed terrance holt. i doubt they'd go after hamlin too.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6548246

Splat
03-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Adrian Wilson and Ken Hamlin would be pimp.

remix 6
03-10-2007, 06:08 PM
come on Patriots show something for Hamlin

he aint the Hammer for nothin

diabsoule
03-10-2007, 07:12 PM
I'm still hoping that the Saints sign him.

Jay
03-10-2007, 07:24 PM
come on Patriots show something for Hamlin

he aint the Hammer for nothin

Seriously. He would be perfect, either he or Rodney could got to FS and let Eugene Wilson move to CB, with James Sanders spelling both of them...

Flyboy
03-10-2007, 08:20 PM

Me too, but it's looking pretty bleak now.

cardsalltheway
03-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Adrian Wilson and Ken Hamlin would be pimp.

I agree but the Terrence Holt signing makes that pretty much impossible now.

remix 6
03-10-2007, 08:51 PM
hes definatley a nasty guy

-he wears 26(best double digit #)
-wears a face shield
-hes ripped

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f154/Z-Train86/KenHamlin.jpg

49ersfan_87
03-10-2007, 09:04 PM

Didnt the saints draft two young safeties the past few years? Bullocks and Harper.

Auron
03-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Didnt the saints draft two young safeties the past few years? Bullocks and Harper.

Yeah but Harper tore his ACL, and we need insurance in case his recovery get's side tracked.

Bullocks has talent but he played poorly at times last season.

So depth at safety is a big need because our backup safeties are FA's and are pretty much gone.

Regardless I don't think the Saints will sign Hamlin, after the Deon Grant deal he's probably looking to land a huge contract. I think we'll sign Kaesviharn..who's more of a mid level FA.

diabsoule
03-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Yeah but Harper tore his ACL, and we need insurance in case his recovery get's side tracked.

Bullocks has talent but he played poorly at times last season.

So depth at safety is a big need because our backup safeties are FA's and are pretty much gone.

Regardless I don't think the Saints will sign Hamlin, after the Deon Grant deal he's probably looking to land a huge contract. I think we'll sign Kaesviharn..who's more of a mid level FA.

I agree but I think Hamlin would've been an upgrade over Harper, who I wasn't wild about to begin with when we reached for him in the draft last year.

Auron
03-10-2007, 09:49 PM
I agree but I think Hamlin would've been an upgrade over Harper, who I wasn't wild about to begin with when we reached for him in the draft last year.

True, however I don't think we'll know the true potential of Harper unless he comes back healthy and plays significantly this season.

I can't pass judgment on him yet, because he's played so little so far. He struggled in the first game of the season, but got progressively better in each game until the injury, even making some big plays.

Don't want to sidetrack this thread into a Saints discussion though...

On another note. There's a rumor going around that the reason Hamlin hasn't been signed yet is because he has an injury of some sort, and teams are waiting until medical reports clear him.

Don't know what to take of that...

Flyboy
03-10-2007, 10:26 PM

The jury is still out on Harper. I wasn't wild about the selection of him either, but after being burned by Kellen Winslow II in Week 1 he showed some vast improvement. Reminded me a lot of what Donte Whitner (whom people said Buffalo reached for as well) was doing for the Bills at the time -- I really like Harper now and I hope he fully recovers from his injury. I think he has the talent to be a very important cog in our defense for years to come.

/end Saints' discussion

princefielder28
03-10-2007, 10:27 PM
I doubt it. Remember, Hamlin is more of a run stopping in the box type safety, whereas Collins is athletic enough that many teams scouted him as a possible CB.

Hamlin isn't that big of a need then b/c we don't need two safeties that play well in the box

SanFran
03-12-2007, 08:39 PM
Hamlin hamlin...this dude is a great Safety but still on the market looking for a team no way now that the seashawks will sign him back so his likely destination just might be either of this teams NY Giants/Steelers/Cowboys/San Diego Chargers..

eaglesalltheway
03-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Hamlin hamlin...this dude is a great Safety but still on the market looking for a team no way now that the seashawks will sign him back so his likely destination just might be either of this teams NY Giants/Steelers/Cowboys/San Diego Chargers..

I'd add the Eagles as a possible team as well. We need a good SS. It is our biggest need, in fact.

SanFran
03-12-2007, 08:52 PM
I'd add the Eagles as a possible team as well. We need a good SS. It is our biggest need, in fact.

Dude it will be crazy if he does go to philly and play beside B-dawk..just might turn into the best S tandem