PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain/help fix this computer problem?

IndyColtScout
04-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Ok so let me explain the whole story.

I got money so I went out and got a new HP laptop.

I had an old Dell laptop.

So I work for my father and I tell him "I got this extra computer. Do you want me to bring it to the shop?"

He says yes. A few weeks later, he decides to get two new computers for the shop. He tells me if I would like to take the Dell laptop home I can.

I say ok.

So I bring it home. I'm not using it much, but decided to use it today.

I noticed something weird. I have three internet browsers: AT&T Yahoo, IE 8, and Firefox.

Before the Dell came home, only I worked on it while at the shop. It was my computer, and there isn't a whole lot of people that work with us so I doubt someone messed with it. While working with it at the shop, nothing was wrong. Worked good.

Now, I bring it home and only the AT&T Browser works. Its hooked up with a wireless access card. The other two browsers simply won't do anything. They load, but says can't load the webpage.

We have two other computers in the house besides the Dell, and both the other two have the same setup: AT&T browser, IE 8, and Firefox. All three browsers work on the other two computers. However, like I said on the older Dell only the AT&T browser works.

I tried uninstalling and re-installing and that did not work.

I don't understand why this is happening. Can someone please help?

Brent
04-06-2009, 08:09 PM
I've heard of this before, I believe that the ATT browser conflicts with IE and blocks it or something, I cannot remember.

IndyColtScout
04-06-2009, 08:14 PM
I've heard of this before, I believe that the ATT browser conflicts with IE and blocks it or something, I cannot remember.

The thing is, I had all three browsers working perfectly when the computer was located at work.

Doesn't make sense why it would not work now...

Thanks for the info though.

Shane P. Hallam
04-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Is there a difference between location, or is the difference between wired and wireless?

IndyColtScout
04-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Is there a difference between location, or is the difference between wired and wireless?

both locations were wireless, im using the same wireless access card.

Addict
04-06-2009, 08:32 PM
just to make sure before I really think about this: you're sure that IE and FF aren't in offline mode?

IndyColtScout
04-06-2009, 09:10 PM
How would I know if they are in offline mode?

CJSchneider
04-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Click "FILE" in the top left corner.
Scroll down and see if the words "WORK OFFLINE" has a check next to it.

IndyColtScout
04-06-2009, 09:34 PM
I check both IE 8 and Firefox and neither browser is currently in work offline mode.

Maybe this will help maybe not?

When I do the connection test on IE 8, the comp seems to think it is a firewall or proxy problem... I dunno.

Addict
04-06-2009, 09:38 PM
I check both IE 8 and Firefox and neither browser is currently in work offline mode.

Maybe this will help maybe not?

When I do the connection test on IE 8, the comp seems to think it is a firewall or proxy problem... I dunno.

that could be it. Some browsers are more bothered by firewalls. What kind of firewall are you running?

IndyColtScout
04-06-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm not even sure...the default firewall I guess? Windows firewall?

iHustle
04-06-2009, 09:49 PM
I'm not even sure...the default firewall I guess? Windows firewall?

Disable it.

IndyColtScout
04-06-2009, 10:05 PM
it says that it is Norton Security Online.

I uninstalled that soooo long ago. Not sure how it's still there.

On a side note, is there anyway to get a new free firewall?

I also checked both browsers (IE 8 and Firefox) after I turned the firewall off. Both browsers did the exact same thing. Can't load page.

Ward
04-06-2009, 10:30 PM
http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2007/10/20/24kt-gold-diamonds-macbook-pro_48.jpg

IndyColtScout
04-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Some more FYI, I tried hooking the internet up with an ethnet cord instead of wireless. Tried it with and without the firewall on, and both time can't load the page for IE 8 and Firefox. AT&T works everytime.

Brent
04-06-2009, 10:42 PM
then lose the ATT browser, it must be effecting IE because they use the same shell

Thumper
04-06-2009, 10:46 PM
Its the CONFIKER!! RUN FOR COVER!

But really, have you changed your wireless router? The computer is still probably trying to connect with the router at your work. (That happened with mine) IDK about any conflicting internet.

IndyColtScout
04-06-2009, 11:13 PM
Shouldn't my wireless access card & computer recognize that its a different network? I always have to put in a key code at work and home when trying to access for the 1st time.

IndyColtScout
04-06-2009, 11:13 PM
then lose the ATT browser, it must be effecting IE because they use the same shell

I'm afraid if I lose the AT&T Browser then IE still won't work and I will be screwed.