PDA

View Full Version : The (Insert Name Here) Is In Trouble With the Law Thread

Whistler6
04-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Okay, okay I am honestly starting to get sick to my stomach..

-Reggie Williams - Felony drug possession

-Matt Jones - Cocaine possession

-Plaxico Burress - Pulled over for speeding (5th time in last month),curses out police officer. Oh and shoots himself in the leg.

-BJ Raji - Tested positive for Marijuana (who cares but AT THE COMBINE?! Come on)

-FSU WR Rod Owens - pulled over for DUI Sunday

-Donte Stallworth - Still unclear, but supposedly drunk when hit and killed civilian

-Larry Johnson - Cited for "domestic distubance" twice with two different women...

I won't dig into Pacman, Tank, etc... POINT IS, let's not waste our time creating thread after thread of stupid athletes who don't take the time to think. Now we can just lump them in with the other wastes of space. Whether they like it or not, they are role models.

Call a cab, bring a security guard, drive the F'n speed limit, and um don't do coke? Sh*t man I go on ESPN or NFLdraftcountdown and every headline seems to be more and more of these people I look up to committing more crimes..

Addict
04-06-2009, 09:33 PM
it's not the role model thing, it's being a moron that pisses me off.

Ramsfan27
04-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Certainly doesn't look good for Stallworth at the moment, that's for sure.

iHustle
04-06-2009, 09:41 PM
There are thousands of thousands of athletes in the public spotlight. Of course we're going to see dozens of cases of athletes committing crimes. I doubt the ratio of NFL players committing crimes is much different than average.

Addict
04-06-2009, 09:43 PM
There are thousands of thousands of athletes in the public spotlight. Of course we're going to see dozens of cases of athletes committing crimes. I doubt the ratio of NFL players committing crimes is much different than average.

yeah, well I expect guys who at least managed to stay in college to have a few braincells more than the avarage thug.

Donno
04-06-2009, 10:12 PM
I want to spark with B.J. Raji..

Halsey
04-06-2009, 10:17 PM

Just don;t offer to buy the munchies unless you got serious bank.

Whistler6
04-06-2009, 10:17 PM

Draft day, his house, I'll meet ya there. Hah

Thumper
04-06-2009, 10:41 PM
These guys have a problem and it is all about egos. They're young, successful athletes, the law can't touch them. They believe in that. Their **** don't stink. They are above the law.

A perfect example is Plaxico Buress telling the police officer off and threatening him. Or another example is Ko Simpson yelling "Do you know how much I'm worth?"

They think they are above the law and things like this happen. 99% of sports news is news about some professional player doing drugs, using steroids, beating their wives etc. etc.

Whistler6
04-06-2009, 11:48 PM
These guys have a problem and it is all about egos. They're young, successful athletes, the law can't touch them. They believe in that. Their **** don't stink. They are above the law.

A perfect example is Plaxico Buress telling the police officer off and threatening him. Or another example is Ko Simpson yelling "Do you know how much I'm worth?"

They think they are above the law and things like this happen. 99% of sports news is news about some professional player doing drugs, using steroids, beating their wives etc. etc.

Exactly and it gets to the point where you just wanna say, "Open your F'n eyes". But they are oblilvious to the world around them. It really makes you appreciate the "good guys".

Thumper
04-07-2009, 02:51 AM
Exactly and it gets to the point where you just wanna say, "Open your F'n eyes". But they are oblilvious to the world around them. It really makes you appreciate the "good guys".

But you don't hear anything about the good guys. Players do good things every day but that doesn't get talked about. You will never read a headline that says Tory Holt builds new playground for impoverished children but if Tory Holt were caught with some drugs and guns you'd hear all about it.

killxswitch
04-07-2009, 07:10 AM
But you don't hear anything about the good guys. Players do good things every day but that doesn't get talked about. You will never read a headline that says Tory Holt builds new playground for impoverished children but if Tory Holt were caught with some drugs and guns you'd hear all about it.

Because when people hear too many good things they start bitching about how the media is "ballwashing" them. Tim Tebow is a good example.

iHustle
04-07-2009, 10:11 AM

So because there's a few bad apples in a basket of thousands you're going to stigmatize the entire league?

Addict
04-07-2009, 10:15 AM

I read that as 'improvised' and that completely changed that sentence.

Thumper
04-07-2009, 01:14 PM
So because there's a few bad apples in a basket of thousands you're going to stigmatize the entire league?

Those few bad apples are reflecting very badly on the rest of the league.

iHustle
04-07-2009, 01:15 PM

It's odd to me. If a few accountants got DUIs would you say the accounting profession has a problem with drinking and driving? Cause and effect.

Crickett
04-07-2009, 01:22 PM

Those few bad apples aren't so few anymore.

Thumper
04-07-2009, 01:22 PM
It's odd to me. If a few accountants got DUIs would you say the accounting profession has a problem with drinking and driving? Cause and effect.

No, but to the casual fan the casual observer possibly. When all the public hears about is Michael Vick, Pac Man Jones, Tank Johnson, Marshawn Lynch, Plaxico Burress, Matt Jones, Reggie Williams, Florida St.'s issues and things like Donte Stallworth killing a man and the Vikings issue on the boat. Yeah, the public definitely thinks there is a problem. The things I listed aren't even the half of the problems.

iHustle
04-07-2009, 01:26 PM
No, but to the casual fan the casual observer possibly. When all the public hears about is Michael Vick, Pac Man Jones, Tank Johnson, Marshawn Lynch, Plaxico Burress, Matt Jones, Reggie Williams, Florida St.'s issues and things like Donte Stallworth killing a man and the Vikings issue on the boat. Yeah, the public definitely thinks there is a problem. The things I listed aren't even the half of the problems.

Oh, I agree that the public thinks there is a problem. I just think that view is unfounded.

It would be interesting to see a study done on the criminal activity of professional athletes versus the criminal activity of regular people.

Whistler6
04-07-2009, 02:29 PM
The amount of athletes getting in trouble with the law is very small compared to the number of total athletes there are in the league. The point is, we hear so much about the bad things. It takes up so much time on radio shows, tv shows, columns, etc... It gets very old and very frustrating when I seem my idols doing stupid sh*t.

Maybe I chose the wrong idols then I guess. But instead of taking the time out of our day to discuss and discuss and discuss and discuss and discuss...you get the point... we can now lump every idiot into 1 thread.

They aren't worth our time or thoughts..

iHustle
04-07-2009, 02:39 PM
The amount of athletes getting in trouble with the law is very small compared to the number of total athletes there are in the league. The point is, we hear so much about the bad things. It takes up so much time on radio shows, tv shows, columns, etc... It gets very old and very frustrating when I seem my idols doing stupid sh*t.

Maybe I chose the wrong idols then I guess. But instead of taking the time out of our day to discuss and discuss and discuss and discuss and discuss...you get the point... we can now lump every idiot into 1 thread.

They aren't worth our time or thoughts..

It's all human nature. The media pumps up the stories that get them the biggest viewership. What would people rather read about:

-Warrick Dunn engaging in yet another community building charity project

or

-Pacman Jones making it rain on a bunch of strippers before gunfire breaks out

That's what it boils down to. It's a lot more interesting to read about negative situations than positive situations.

Whistler6
04-07-2009, 02:44 PM
It's all human nature. The media pumps up the stories that get them the biggest viewership. What would people rather read about:

-Warrick Dunn engaging in yet another community building charity project

or

-Pacman Jones making it rain on a bunch of strippers before gunfire breaks out

That's what it boils down to. It's a lot more interesting to read about negative situations than positive situations.

Hell yes, PacMan throwing bills.. But I'm just saying enough is enough right? Bring your "posse" of security guards and leave the guns at home, get drunk and take a cab, bring some girls home with you and use protection. Easy enough... Athletes can do allllll the things they wanna do without breaking the law (in most cases)

iHustle
04-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Hell yes, PacMan throwing bills.. But I'm just saying enough is enough right? Bring your "posse" of security guards and leave the guns at home, get drunk and take a cab, bring some girls home with you and use protection. Easy enough... Athletes can do allllll the things they wanna do without breaking the law (in most cases)

Yup, but so can regular Joes. Yet, people still break the law. It's odd. We just have this perception of athletes as Demi-Gods that will never make mistakes. They're just like the rest of us, except they happened to be very good at their sport.

BlindSite
04-07-2009, 06:34 PM
I don't think it's a perception of them as demi-gods, I think it's that

Teams build them up so much to the public we don't expect them to do wrong
They know they're in the public eye and should therefore know better
They're well educated both in a formal school and from advisors and should be intelligent enough to not break the law

I understand where you're coming from, if 10% of all the population are criminal that amount of NFL players will also likely be criminal. It's not shock necessarily from our standpoint, more or less, disappointment.

It's disappointing to throw your support behind a player, buy their jerseys, argue for hours on the internet, in a bar, or in person about their virtues only to have them do something to destroy your image of them.

A few idiot fans will always leap to some stupid defense like "it was his friend" or "leonard little didn't get life" or some other crap, but at the end of the day, we all feel a bit of disappointment when a guy who's name we've cheered goes and does something stupid. In a lot of cases we've followed guys careers since high school, or just after and we don't want to see them as failures.

JF4
04-09-2009, 12:43 AM
Add Leon Hall to that list...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80fae749&template=without-video&confirm=true

When will the Bengals change.

Thumper
04-13-2009, 07:19 PM
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/apr/11/1s11nflrail224028/?zIndex=80914

just some statistics on NFL players in trouble with the law

Don Vito
05-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Sorry for the bump, didn't think it was thread worthy but Quincy Carter is in trouble again (violated probation).

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20090512/SPORTS/90512035

Mr. Hero
05-12-2009, 03:59 PM
People care way too much about athletes personal lives. I mean I'm a football fan, I didn't give a **** what a dude is doing monday through saturday, I care what he's doing on sunday.

bored of education
05-12-2009, 04:02 PM
People care way too much about athletes personal lives. I mean I'm a football fan, I didn't give a **** what a dude is doing monday through saturday, I care what he's doing on sunday.

WHAT THE **** DID YOU POST IN THIS THREAD THEN???

Don Vito
05-12-2009, 04:07 PM

If he doesn't follow the rules monday through saturday then you won't see him on sunday, you should know that especially in this day and age (Vick, Manny Ramirez, etc.). BOE brings up a good point as well.

bored of education
05-12-2009, 04:08 PM
colors+size+bold= better point making abilities

Brent
05-12-2009, 06:01 PM
colors+size+bold= better point making abilities
When it's in person, yelling louder makes your point better, too.

Mr. Hero
05-12-2009, 08:07 PM
BOE's I was jsut posting my opinion in the official trouble makers thread. I stay out of most threads like this, especially if a player gets a DUI, so it's not like I troll these threads. Just pointing out that too often we get ourselves all worked up about what a player does in his personal life.

If he doesn't follow the rules monday through saturday then you won't see him on sunday, you should know that especially in this day and age (Vick, Manny Ramirez, etc.). BOE brings up a good point as well.

I could certainly make the case that many times we don't get to watch athletes because of how worked up the general public gets over stuff that's none of their business. You think Vick would've been crucified like he was if PETA and other eco-terrorists weren't going to try and destroy the NFL over him, or if america weren't such a pet worshiping country? I mean most of Goodell's decisions in these matters are the direct result of the negative publicity these matters generate. There's no set code of conduct but rather a fluid case-by-case examination of how much publicity a certain incident gets.

CC.SD
05-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Don't forget Shaun Phillips he beat the crap out of somebody again. Wooo go Shaun.

Vikings4ever
05-15-2009, 01:20 PM
There have been 19 NFL player arrests so far this year. From another board:

#1 - Michael Merritt - TE - KC - rolling a marijuana ciggy in FL parking garage
#2 - Darrell Reid - DT - INDY - disorderly conduct - club was full asked 12 X's to let me in. They didn't and #2!
#3 - Marshawn Lynch - RB - BUF - possession of concealed firearm - loaded gun in Benz
#4 - Roderick Green - LB - SF - 4 misdemeanours - reckless driving, unlawfully carrying a weapon, possession of marijuana, and interfering with the duties of an officer
#5 - Reggie Williams - WR - JAX - DWI and possession of .97 grams of pot - 2 class B misdemeanours
#6 - Brandon Marshall - WR - DEN - arrested for disorderly conduct
#7 - Matt Jones - WR - JAX - arrested for violation of probation - failed drug test - alcohol
#8 - Gerald Sensabaugh - S - DAL - arrested a few times, most recently for driving with suspended license
#9 - David Macklin - DB - KC - arrested on druken driving chargers
#10 - Albert Haynesworth - DT - WAS - charged with reckless driving and driving vehichle w/ expired registration -
#11 - Cornell Green - OT - OAK - arrested for aggravated batter/domestic violence - our first hit da ho!
#12 - Dante Stallworth - WR - CLE - charged with DUI manslaughter
#13 - Reggie Williams - WR - FA now - arrested fellony drug charge + a couple taser shots for good luck
#14 - Leon Hall - CB - CIN - DUI - a very polite arrest
#15 - Dante Whitner - DB - BUF - arrested for aggravated disorderly conduct and resisting arrest - and 1 good shock with the stun gun
#16 - Shaun Phillips - LB - SD - misdemeanor battery - hit a security guard in the face
#17 and #18 were together - Biren Ealy WR, Kolonoma Kapanui TE - Saints - were charged Sunday with obscenity, disturbing the peace and lewd conduct for allegedly being drunk, urinating in public and exposing themselves. WE HAVE A WIENER! 2 OF THEM!!!!!!!!!
#19 Anthony Mix - WR - TB - - charged with sex with a 15 year old.

This time last year, we were at 23.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
05-15-2009, 01:44 PM
#19 Anthony Mix - WR - TB - - charged with sex with a 15 year old.

Wow if that is true then he is pretty ******. What an idiot. Didn't people learn from Mark Chmura?

Bills2083
05-15-2009, 09:45 PM
lol

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2009/may/15/ex-buffalo-bills-player-arrested-exposure-case-por/

Manic Depressant
05-15-2009, 09:48 PM
lol

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2009/may/15/ex-buffalo-bills-player-arrested-exposure-case-por/

Funny, but I highly doubt it's true.

TitanHope
05-25-2009, 09:12 AM
Almost made a new thread, but remembered this one.

It must first be noted that Rhodes himself is not one of the alleged, and that his connection is due to him owning the residence.

Report: Woman says she was raped at Jets DB’s home

NEW YORK (AP)—New Jersey police are investigating a woman’s claim that she was raped by two men at the home of Jets safety Kerry Rhodes(notes).

The New York Post reported in Monday editions that the woman, a Canadian tourist, said she met Rhodes and another man at a Manhattan nightclub before being taken to a home in Morristown, N.J., where Rhodes owns a town house, according to authorities.

Rhodes, in a statement released through a Jets spokesman, said he was not one of the accused.

“I briefly talked with police on Saturday regarding an incident that allegedly took place at my home. The police confirmed to me that I am not the subject of this allegation.”

Morristown Police Lt. David Ackerman told the Post the investigation is ongoing but declined further comment.

A spokesman for the Jets said the organization was “gathering information,” according to the Post.

Rhodes, who was drafted out of Louisville in 2005, signed a $33 million, five-year contract extension with the Jets last year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AjYe2bTAq3OYD_vMFfZ3.xFDubYF?slug=ap-jets-rhodes-rapeallegation&prov=ap&type=lgns

Nevertheless, this is no bueno.

Vikings4ever
05-25-2009, 06:58 PM
Added 4 since my last post.

#20 - Corey McIntyre - BUF - masturbating outside a womans house - misdemeanor exposer of sexual organs
#21 - Brandon Walker - OG - HOU - drunken driving
#22 - Asaph Schwapp - FB - DAL - arrested 4 carrying a prohibited weapon boarding a plane - throwing star!
#23 - Randy Starks - DE - MIA - aggravated battery - swerved his truck and hit police officer in chest with vehicle

Brent
05-25-2009, 10:41 PM
#20 - Corey McIntyre - BUF - masturbating outside a womans house - misdemeanor exposer of sexual organs

WHAT THE HELL? hahaha who does that!

scottyboy
05-25-2009, 10:51 PM
WHAT THE HELL? hahaha who does that!

thank god I've never gotten caught...

SuperKevin
05-25-2009, 10:52 PM
McIntyre was cleared of all charges and the police have already said they got the wrong guy

the decider13
05-25-2009, 10:56 PM

hahahaha he will be more known for this than football

dang it kevin...ruined my laughter

TitleTown088
05-25-2009, 11:49 PM
Which is worse, Beating one off in front of a woman's house or dumping in her closet?

someone447
05-26-2009, 08:42 AM
Which is worse, Beating one off in front of a woman's house or dumping in her closet?

DOOKIE DAVENPORT!!!!

Mr. Hero
05-26-2009, 10:35 AM
#22 - Asaph Schwapp - FB - DAL - arrested 4 carrying a prohibited weapon boarding a plane - throwing star!

My favorite so far.

Cicero
06-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Owen Schmitt with the DUI...
http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/seahawks/story/791193.html

eaglesalltheway
06-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Owen Schmitt with the DUI...
http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/seahawks/story/791193.html

Damn, I like Owen Schmitt as a player a lot, but just watching this guy for a few minutes, I can't say this surprises me too much. Stupid decision, but I still like him, albeit less now.