PDA

View Full Version : Cant Decide Where I Wanna Go for College...HELP!

Thunder&Lightning
04-06-2009, 09:09 PM
I gotta decide between 3 schools and I have no idea where I wanna go... Roger Williams University where I got a $10,000 scholarship a year, St. Michaels, or University of Tampa.

djp
04-06-2009, 09:10 PM
Might want to give more information such as what's important to you as a school

Thunder&Lightning
04-06-2009, 09:11 PM
What everyone wants... to get a good education while being able to have a good time

CJSchneider
04-06-2009, 09:13 PM
What school provides for what you want to study the best?

Brent
04-06-2009, 09:13 PM
I've never heard of the first two and I've heard the third has a ton of frats, whether you think that is good or bad is up to you.

JHG722
04-06-2009, 09:19 PM
You managed to pick three overpriced private schools. Nice job.

fischbowl
04-06-2009, 09:24 PM
So you turn to a bunch of strangers on an forum to make a life changing decision for you? Third has a good baseball team!

Don Vito
04-06-2009, 09:58 PM
I gotta decide between 3 schools and I have no idea where I wanna go... Roger Williams University where I got a $10,000 scholarship a year, St. Michaels, or University of Tampa.

I have a friend at St. Mikes and he loves it, but Burlington isn't for everyone. If you like places like Burlington than you most likely will like the school, it is a very unique city to say the least. I don't know too much about Roger Williams, I graduated with a couple of people who went there but I'm really only friends with one of them and he transfered. Tampa is supposed to be a lot of fun, I know a girl who transfered there from a New England school and she absolutely loves it. Those schools don't have much in common but I was the same way and I'm very happy with where I ended up, if you visit them all you should know which one you like best.

yourfavestoner
04-06-2009, 11:34 PM
Warm weather FTW. Why be cold when you don't have to be?

critesy
04-06-2009, 11:42 PM
Warm weather FTW. Why be cold when you don't have to be?

this post ftw

Chucky
04-07-2009, 12:25 AM
I am having the same problem right now.

Choosing between Queen's Commerce, Western Ivey, and McGill Management. Been wrestling with this decision for a while now and the time to make my decision is soon approaching.

tjsunstein
04-07-2009, 12:28 AM
Community College

kwilk103
04-07-2009, 12:39 AM
go to wvu...

fischbowl
04-07-2009, 10:50 AM

Choosing between Queen's Commerce, Western Ivey, and McGill Management. Been wrestling with this decision for a while now and the time to make my decision is soon approaching.

OOO Queen's v. McGill........tough choice. I'd go McGill

Ravens1991
04-07-2009, 10:55 AM
go to York College. Thats where I will be next year

04-07-2009, 11:02 AM

All top notch programs, but I believe McGill is a very unique opportunity in a very unique city. I'd go there.

iHustle
04-07-2009, 11:10 AM
McGill has the worst business program of those 3. Ivey or Queen's, depending on what career path you're looking into.

04-07-2009, 11:34 AM
McGill has the worst business program of those 3. Ivey or Queen's, depending on what career path you're looking into.

That's true. Depends on what he's looking to get out of his degree. Western is a lot of fun too. Tough call.

JHG722
04-07-2009, 01:46 PM
All top notch programs, but I believe McGill is a very unique opportunity in a very unique city. I'd go there.

UWO has the best business school out of them.

Whistler6
04-07-2009, 02:41 PM

Trust me, go where the money is. You can always transfer after a year, which I did. It's not until you have spent an amount of time in college that you realize what you really want.

Still, as a college student, money is at the forefront of every decision I make. If you take the 10,000 you'll have that much left over for spring break, summer stuff, rent, etc.

brat316
04-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Go to Temple

Beans
04-07-2009, 02:53 PM
i, too, am torn between Cincinnati and TNCJ

its driving me nuts

JHG722
04-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Go to Temple

Best advice I've ever read.

brat316
04-07-2009, 03:05 PM

its driving me nuts

go to TEMPLE..unless you like new jersey then go to TCNJ or NJIT or Rutgers

E-Man
04-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Trust me, go where the money is. You can always transfer after a year, which I did. It's not until you have spent an amount of time in college that you realize what you really want.

Still, as a college student, money is at the forefront of every decision I make. If you take the 10,000 you'll have that much left over for spring break, summer stuff, rent, etc.
This guy knows what he's talking about. Getting education at a college is only relative to how dedicated you are. What you're really going for is a piece of paper that gets you in the door to whatever career you plan on having. So money is the biggest issue. The best thing by far to do is to go to a community college for two years, then transfer to a university. That way you save money while trying to figure out what you want to do. At a university you'll spends thousands of dollars in your first two years doing the same things you did in high school, and most students haven't figured out their real major until after that second year. At a community college you'll spend probably only a grand a year at best.

But if a university is offering you free money go with whoever gives you the most. Fun is also a myth at schools too. Every college has some type of fun, and you'll find it if you really want to. There's no shortage of parties at any type of college, so wherever you pick will have that. Just try to get as much money as possible, because in the end that'll be what matters. Only unless your major is so specific that you should pick one school over the other is when you choose education over the money.

etk
04-07-2009, 05:29 PM

McGill Management - by far the most difficult of the 3 for undergrad. If you're planning on going to grad school, I'd suggest going to Queen's or Western where you can get better marks for less work. Distance may be a problem as well, or a good thing depending on who you are.

Western Ivey - Good choice, but only if you're willing to put up with the same lame Jewish kids from Toronto and that whole social scene.

Queen's Commerce - Nothing bad to say :)

BTW the time to make your decision is almost 2 months away. Relax. It should be a fun decision.

JHG722
04-07-2009, 06:11 PM
McGill Management - by far the most difficult of the 3 for undergrad. If you're planning on going to grad school, I'd suggest going to Queen's or Western where you can get better marks for less work. Distance may be a problem as well, or a good thing depending on who you are.

Western Ivey - Good choice, but only if you're willing to put up with the same lame Jewish kids from Toronto and that whole social scene.

BTW the time to make your decision is almost 2 months away. Relax. It should be a fun decision.

What the **** is that supposed to mean? :rolleyes:

iHustle
04-07-2009, 08:33 PM

All of those programs are going to attract the lamest kids known to man basically. 90%+ averages + ECs = nerds with little social value.

Bosanac01
04-07-2009, 09:00 PM
I can decide weather to go to school here or in Bosnia.

fischbowl
04-07-2009, 09:18 PM

ETK, Chucky is one of those spoiled Toronto jews.

iHustle
04-07-2009, 09:33 PM

Funny cause it's true.

04-07-2009, 09:47 PM

He's too good for U of T apparently .. :rolleyes:

Brent
04-07-2009, 09:49 PM

its driving me nuts
Cincinnati should be the easy choice.

Beans
04-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Cincinnati should be the easy choice.

it should be, considering its been my top choice since basically last april, but theres little details within the program im entering that make me kind of hesitant.

indecision sucks

JHG722
04-07-2009, 10:02 PM
it should be, considering its been my top choice since basically last april, but theres little details within the program im entering that make me kind of hesitant.

indecision sucks

What major?

Beans
04-07-2009, 10:07 PM
graphic design

JHG722
04-07-2009, 10:08 PM
graphic design

ummm that's kinda UC's specialty...

Beans
04-07-2009, 10:09 PM
ummm that's kinda UC's specialty...

yes i know

im worried about the workload, which is apparently a lot more than avarage

Primetime21
04-07-2009, 10:18 PM
I have another year to decide what I am going to do but I have a little bit of an idea of what Im going to do and want to see if you guys have any advice/criticism.

FYI- Live in Boise have a chance at some decent scholarships for random community service stuff and hopefully good test scores. Im hoping to either to go in Pre Law, Journalism, or Marketing.

Choice 1- Go to Spokane Community College, stay with a rich/ cool family friend do all the required courses and get in-state residency for U-W.
Then I could spend 3 or 4 years at U-W for cheap and would probably stay in Seattle for a while in my life.

Choice 2- Go to U of Idaho for almost nothing and with basically my whole graduation class(good and bad thing). From their I can either transfer or stay if I like it but it's in a small Idaho town where drinking is the 1st 2nd and 3rd most popular thing to do there(not against that at all).

Choice 3- **** it and go out of state and experience something new, head to Arizona State. ASU would be me amongst 50,000 strangers but I think that would be fun but I dont know if its worth the money.

This will probably all change by the time I am a Senior but might as well get some all knowing NFLDCers opinion on this stuff.

Primetime21
04-07-2009, 11:31 PM
I have another year to decide what I am going to do but I have a little bit of an idea of what Im going to do and want to see if you guys have any advice/criticism.

FYI- Live in Boise have a chance at some decent scholarships for random community service stuff and hopefully good test scores. Im hoping to either to go in Pre Law, Journalism, or Marketing.

Choice 1- Go to Spokane Community College, stay with a rich/ cool family friend do all the required courses and get in-state residency for U-W.
Then I could spend 3 or 4 years at U-W for cheap and would probably stay in Seattle for a while in my life.

Choice 2- Go to U of Idaho for almost nothing and with basically my whole graduation class(good and bad thing). From their I can either transfer or stay if I like it but it's in a small Idaho town where drinking is the 1st 2nd and 3rd most popular thing to do there(not against that at all).

Choice 3- **** it and go out of state and experience something new, head to Arizona State. ASU would be me amongst 50,000 strangers but I think that would be fun but I dont know if its worth the money.

This will probably all change by the time I am a Senior but might as well get some all knowing NFLDCers opinion on this stuff.

Choice 4- Go to Western Washington and maybe transfer to UW or stay if I like it. Western Washington has WUE, which basically grants you in state tuition if you meet their requirements.

Also theirs that. Anyone here do the whole WUE thing?

Chucky
04-08-2009, 12:17 AM
He's too good for U of T apparently .. :rolleyes:

Im not too good for U of T at all I just dont want to live in Toronto.

Right now I am leaning towards Ivey but that could easily change. McGill is looking like it is third as it is clearly a tier below the other two programs.

iHustle
04-08-2009, 12:51 AM
Im not too good for U of T at all I just dont want to live in Toronto.

Right now I am leaning towards Ivey but that could easily change. McGill is looking like it is third as it is clearly a tier below the other two programs.

Well just know wherever you go you'll be getting an overpriced education. :rolleyes:

JHG722
04-08-2009, 12:54 AM
Well just know wherever you go you'll be getting an overpriced education. :rolleyes:

Sounds like the original poster.

Chucky
04-08-2009, 12:56 AM

Education in Canada is pretty cheap relative to the States.

JHG722
04-08-2009, 12:57 AM

Yeah, it's a total bargain in comparison.

iHustle
04-08-2009, 12:58 AM

Right, but both Ivey and Queen's are ridiculously expensive when compared to other BBA programs. ROI is pretty low from those schools in my opinion.

Chucky
04-08-2009, 12:59 AM
Right, but both Ivey and Queen's are ridiculously expensive when compared to other BBA programs. ROI is pretty low from those schools in my opinion.

While those schools are more expensive from what I have heard from people who have gone to those programs and cheaper ones is that you really do get more out of them in terms of networking, job opportunities and quality of professers.

iHustle
04-08-2009, 01:02 AM
While those schools are more expensive from what I have heard from people who have gone to those programs and cheaper ones is that you really do get more out of them in terms of networking, job opportunities and quality of professers.

Well that's obviously the approach the schools are taking, but you have to ask yourself if the extra money is worth it. Money doesn't seem like much of an issue now, but trust me, it becomes one. Still, I don't know your financial situation so it may actually not be a concern for you.

I would definitely look into programs like U of T, WLU, and Schulich as well. Better ROI in my opinion and they don't preclude you from getting those top-end jobs/internships.

All that said, education is a great investment and a great time. Go where your heart is as long as you can afford it.

Chucky
04-08-2009, 01:08 AM
Well that's obviously the approach the schools are taking, but you have to ask yourself if the extra money is worth it. Money doesn't seem like much of an issue now, but trust me, it becomes one. Still, I don't know your financial situation so it may actually not be a concern for you.

I would definitely look into programs like U of T, WLU, and Schulich as well. Better ROI in my opinion and they don't preclude you from getting those top-end jobs/internships.

All that said, education is a great investment and a great time. Go where your heart is as long as you can afford it.

I applied to WLU... I just dont really want to go to waterloo. I didnt apply to U of T and schulich(which I think are just as expensive) because I dont want to stay in Toronto. In terms of cash. I have gotten decent scholarships from all the schools (western in particular) but I do have my education payed for.

But honestly from who i have talked to Queens, Ivey, U of T, and Schulich really do give you the best overall education and because U of T and schulich are in Toronto I am opting for the other 2.

JHG722
04-08-2009, 01:43 AM
I applied to WLU... I just dont really want to go to waterloo. I didnt apply to U of T and schulich(which I think are just as expensive) because I dont want to stay in Toronto. In terms of cash. I have gotten decent scholarships from all the schools (western in particular) but I do have my education payed for.

But honestly from who i have talked to Queens, Ivey, U of T, and Schulich really do give you the best overall education and because U of T and schulich are in Toronto I am opting for the other 2.

You honestly cant go wrong with any of those.

vatech=accdomination
04-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Boca Raton Community College

JHG722
04-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Boca Raton Community College

That would be Palm Beach Community College

The Great Jonathan Vilma
04-08-2009, 02:06 PM

go where the scholarship is. Case closed. That saves a lot of money. With that money, you make your good time and buy friends. Case Closed.

vatech=accdomination
04-08-2009, 02:21 PM
That would be Palm Beach Community College

lmao, i just randomly guessed.

Hines
04-08-2009, 02:32 PM

Go to ASU. Who the **** wants to stay in Idaho?

Pending if I get accepted, I will be chosing between Arizona State, University of Arizona, Northern Arizona, and Pittsburgh.

Staubach12
04-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Public School is where's it's at. Go Vols.

JHG722
04-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Public School is where's it's at. Go Vols.

Good game last year ;)

etk
04-08-2009, 03:13 PM
What the **** is that supposed to mean? :rolleyes:

What would you know about it Mr. Temple?

All of those programs are going to attract the lamest kids known to man basically. 90%+ averages + ECs = nerds with little social value.

What's an EC? Anyways, I have a 90 average and I do no schoolwork. I play sports, work out and play video games. Those programs might be composed of nerds mostly but the schools themselves have a diverse amount of people.

lol, you guys are hilarious. I went to private Hebrew day school with Chucky. I moved on to public school, he didn't. 90% of the kids from his school (my old school) go to Western. They cling together in the same social environment and don't make any new friends. Chucky knows this but IDK if that's a pro or a con for him....obviously it's a pro for most kids leaving that school but Chucky might be different.

adschofield
04-08-2009, 03:31 PM
Already made my decision...I'll be a Freshman at Boston College next year...Pretty excited about it because both the city and the campus are amazing.

adschofield
04-08-2009, 03:32 PM
EC=Extra Cirricular(sp)

JHG722
04-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Already made my decision...I'll be a Freshman at Boston College next year...Pretty excited about it because both the city and the campus are amazing.

**** em up, **** em up BC SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

adschofield
04-08-2009, 03:37 PM
**** em up, **** em up BC SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BC>>>>>>>Temple

JHG722
04-08-2009, 03:37 PM
BC>>>>>>>Temple

Well you're right; our hockey team isn't D-I

GO BU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bearfan
04-08-2009, 08:30 PM
I am in the same predicament. The two schools I am looking at are both in Illinois: Illinois Wesleyan University, and Augustana College.

IWU is more expensive for me by 10k a year, so I would either leave 40-50k in debt, or I would have to work my ass off. Its one of the better schools in the midwest, and they are going in the direction of trying to become as prestigous as schools Northwestern. Acedemically they are really good, and have excellent graduate school acceptances if thats the direction I choose. I would have a slight shot of making the tennis team there too, and I would have my best friend at the college.

Augustana College I would only take the FAFSA student loan, and thats all I would leave with after college. They are slightly below IWU acedemically, but are still strong. The tennis coach doesnt cut, so I would have the team. Facilities arent as good as IWU either. I would know no one.

Im the type of person who is friendly, and its easy to make friends, but at the same time until I am comfortable with where I am at, and the people, I wont want to go to a party. Thats one of my big fears, is that I am not so much a party guy, I just would rather chill and hang out.

Any takers? lol

MagicStick20
04-08-2009, 10:45 PM
you should go to purdue it is a good school and you can party a lot

yourfavestoner
04-08-2009, 11:18 PM

If you stay in Idaho you will regret it for the rest of your life. If money's an issue, I'd go to Spokane and transfer to UW. If it's feasibly affordable to afford it, go to ASU.

bearfan
04-15-2009, 01:07 PM
I am in the same predicament. The two schools I am looking at are both in Illinois: Illinois Wesleyan University, and Augustana College.

IWU is more expensive for me by 10k a year, so I would either leave 40-50k in debt, or I would have to work my ass off. Its one of the better schools in the midwest, and they are going in the direction of trying to become as prestigous as schools Northwestern. Acedemically they are really good, and have excellent graduate school acceptances if thats the direction I choose. I would have a slight shot of making the tennis team there too, and I would have my best friend at the college.

Augustana College I would only take the FAFSA student loan, and thats all I would leave with after college. They are slightly below IWU acedemically, but are still strong. The tennis coach doesnt cut, so I would have the team. Facilities arent as good as IWU either. I would know no one.

Im the type of person who is friendly, and its easy to make friends, but at the same time until I am comfortable with where I am at, and the people, I wont want to go to a party. Thats one of my big fears, is that I am not so much a party guy, I just would rather chill and hang out.

Any takers? lol

So I have made my decision, and Im going to Augustana. Is anyone else nervous as hell though?