PDA

View Full Version : Vikings 2005 Draft : Complete Bust

locseti
04-07-2009, 01:35 PM
http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=2696

It comes as no surprise, but the Vikings lost the last member of their 2005 draft class today when offensive lineman Marcus Johnson reportedly signed with the Oakland Raiders. ESPN had the news of the signing this afternoon.

This closes the door on a draft class that was a complete bust. That hurts even more if you’re the Vikings, given that the team had two first-round picks that year. The first, obtained from Oakland in the Randy Moss trade, was used on wide receiver Troy Williamson. The Vikings then took defensive end Erasmus James 18th overall.

I think it's fair to say that any one of us posters here could have at least drafted one player that would still be on the team. With TWO first round picks? Pathetic.

keylime_5
04-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Funny thing is that was one of the highest rated draft classes of 2005 (based on grades given out right after the draft was over). Most sites and experts gave Minnesota like an A grade for their draft initially.

The Dynasty
04-07-2009, 02:17 PM
I remember that draft day, I was so excited about having two 1st round picks and I wanted to take the chance and trade up to number 2 and draft Braylon Edwards but we didnt....All I can say is that draft will always be one to forget.

Hawk
04-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Packers rule, Vikings drool

SFbear
04-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Coincidentally Kyle Orton was the last member of the 2005 Chicago Bears draft class still on the team.

1 4(4) Cedric Benson HB Texas
2 7(39) Mark Bradley WR Oklahoma
4 5(106) Kyle Orton QB Purdue
5 4(140) Airese Currie WR Clemson
6 7(181) Chris Harris S La. Monroe
7 6(220) Rodriques Wilson OLB South Carolina

We traded Harris away too and everyone else was cut.

LonghornsLegend
04-07-2009, 03:35 PM
This thread will turn into a homer thread in no time btw...But that is pretty sad, 3 years ago and not one person remaining.

That's why I'm content with Spears, he may of been a bust of a 1st rounder but he's still a starter after all this time so w/e.

Addict
04-07-2009, 03:50 PM
here's the class by the way. Not a pretty picture.

1 7 Troy Williamson WR South Carolina
1 18 Erasmus James DE Wisconsin
2 49 Marcus Johnson G Mississippi
3 80 Dustin Fox DB Ohio State
4 112 Ciatrick Fason RB Florida
6 191 C.J. Mosley DT Missouri
7 219 Adrian Ward -- Texas-El Paso

Dr. Gonzo
04-07-2009, 04:18 PM
This thread makes me sad.

Michigan
04-07-2009, 04:19 PM
You guys all got it lucky.....

TitanHope
04-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Two words: PacMan Jones...

But, we also picked Michael Roos and David Stewart in '05, so...

bearsfan_51
04-07-2009, 05:09 PM
The 2005 draft sucked pretty hard overall for a lot of teams.

LonghornsLegend
04-07-2009, 05:20 PM
The 2005 draft sucked pretty hard overall for a lot of teams.

Not Dallas :D

bearsfan_51
04-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Not Dallas :D
That's ok, you certainly made up for it by drafting Bobby Carpenter the next year.

BeerBaron
04-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Coincidentally Kyle Orton was the last member of the 2005 Chicago Bears draft class still on the team.

1 4(4) Cedric Benson HB Texas
2 7(39) Mark Bradley WR Oklahoma
4 5(106) Kyle Orton QB Purdue
5 4(140) Airese Currie WR Clemson
6 7(181) Chris Harris S La. Monroe
7 6(220) Rodriques Wilson OLB South Carolina

We traded Harris away too and everyone else was cut.

We at least got a pick from Carolina for Harris.......

The 2005 draft as a whole was pretty disappointing.

Malaka
04-07-2009, 06:03 PM
There should be a word for drafts in which not 1 capable player is drafted by a certain team with all their draft picks.

ChezPower4
04-07-2009, 06:25 PM
This thread makes me sad.

As it should

PoopSandwich
04-07-2009, 06:25 PM
http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=2696

I think it's fair to say that any one of us posters here could have at least drafted one player that would still be on the team. With TWO first round picks? Pathetic.

Look at the Browns drafts for the past 10 years, sit back... and laugh.

Crickett
04-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Lets face it, the 2005 draft in general sucked. It wasn't just Minnesota.

Was there one player in the top ten in 2005 who has lived up to his billing?

BeerBaron
04-07-2009, 06:33 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_NFL_Draft

13 worthwhile pro bowlers in the first 3 rounds....a handful of other guys who've been mediocre to average but sure haven't lived up to their draft status.

bearsfan_51
04-07-2009, 06:36 PM
There should be a word for drafts in which not 1 capable player is drafted by a certain team with all their draft picks.
I believe they call that a "Millen"

Dr. Gonzo
04-07-2009, 06:38 PM
As it should

Looking at the 2004 Packer draft made me feel a little better.

Don Vito
04-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Yeah, that Vikes draft was brutal especially considering they had two first rounders. It turned out pretty good for the Pats though.

1. Logan Mankins
2. Ellis Hobbs
3. Nick Kaczur
4. James Sanders
5. Ryan Claridge
7. Matt Cassel
7. Andy Stokes

Mankins is a stud and Hobbs, Sanders, and Cassel were all very solid picks. Kaczur is a disappointment and we had some really high hopes for Claridge as a LB but he couldn't stay healthy. Stokes was the last pick and the draft, he got cut.

Malaka
04-07-2009, 06:45 PM
I believe they call that a "Millen"

lmao

Well 05' draft was amazing for the Giants :D.

2. Corey Webster CB
3. Justin Tuck DE
4. Brandon Jacobs RB
6. Eric Moore DE

A late bloomer corner who played like a top ten corner last year.

One of the best 4-3 DEs in the league.

The heart and soul of our offense Brandon Jacobs.

GB12
04-07-2009, 06:47 PM
Looking at the 2004 Packer draft made me feel a little better.
The first four picks sucked, but it wasn't all bad. In the 6th we got Corey Williams who started 20 games for us and then was turned into a 2nd rounder last year, and in the 7th we got Scott Wells who has been our starting center for the past 4 years.

Even a draft that had Ahmad Carroll, Joey Thomas, Donnell Washington, and BJ Sander was much better than the **** that is the 2005 Vikings draft.

brat316
04-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Overall the 05 draft sucked, but the first round had good players, many of them are still starters. A few are out of the league, and one finally got a chance to start.

BlindSite
04-07-2009, 06:55 PM
You know I liked neither player coming out. Especially erasamus james, Williamson I wasn't sure about, but Erasamus I really didn't like.

Crickett
04-07-2009, 07:07 PM
You know I liked neither player coming out. Especially erasamus james, Williamson I wasn't sure about, but Erasamus I really didn't like.

Williamson I didn't like, Erasmus James I thought might be the next John Abraham. :(

BamaFalcon59
04-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Roddy White! :D

TitanHope
04-07-2009, 07:26 PM

Draftastrophy?

Draft FAIL! ?

Oooh! Oooh! I know!!!

Bustravaganza!!!

LonghornsLegend
04-07-2009, 07:28 PM
That's ok, you certainly made up for it by drafting Bobby Carpenter the next year.

Too bad that has nothing to do with the 05 draft class which is what we are talking about...Maybe we should be like the Bears and never draft a bust in the 1st round though.

SimonRath
04-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Too bad that has nothing to do with the 05 draft class which is what we are talking about...Maybe we should be like the Bears and never draft a bust in the 1st round though.

i sense a little hatred in this

TitanHope
04-07-2009, 07:33 PM

Sexy Rexy FTW!!!

But hey now! No fighting! Tis National Cuddling Day!

C'mon...come to papa bear. *spreads out arms*

bearsfan_51
04-07-2009, 07:35 PM
He's a sensitive little sally it would appear.

TitanHope
04-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Nothing says "I'm sensitive," better than cuddling, BF51...

LonghornsLegend
04-07-2009, 10:09 PM
He's a sensitive little sally it would appear.

Yea evidenced by my smiley face the first post, I didn't think I had to put "lol" to know that it wasn't that serious...Do you really think thats the first time someone called Carpenter a bust? But yea, that made me steaming mad.

i sense a little hatred in this

Hatred? You guys should get out more, what reason would I have to feel "hatred" over Barbie Carpenter? I could care less about him and everyone knows he sucks, it was just a simple response...Carp still has nothing to do with the thread but that doesn't mean I was 'angry'.

The Legend
04-08-2009, 12:04 AM
I can only imagion what would have happened if the Vikings drafted Roddy White and Aaron Rodgers

Monomach
04-08-2009, 02:15 AM
I can only imagion what would have happened if the Vikings drafted Roddy White and Aaron Rodgers

Can't really blame them for not taking Rodgers. Culpepper threw for about a billion yards the year before.

OneToughGame
04-08-2009, 02:34 AM
We at least got a pick from Carolina for Harris.......

The 2005 draft as a whole was pretty disappointing.

Seahawks did okay in it :)

1: Chris Spencer - Pretty much a bust but oh well.
2: Lofa Tatupu - GOD ;)
3: David Greene - Gone.
3: Leroy Hill - Underrated as hell
4: Ray Willis - Versatile linemen and did well last year while playing.
5: Jeb Huckeba - Off team and didn't even make a tackle in the NFL if I recall.
6: Tony Jackson - Didn't do anything.
7: Cornelius Wortham - Same as Jeb.
7 :Doug Nienhuis - I have no clue lol.

1 all pro MLB a very good OLB and a alright OT/OG... could be worse, lol.

Caddy
04-08-2009, 02:51 AM
The Buccaneers have 5 players on the roster who were part of that draft so I guess it wasn't too bad.

Barrett Ruud.
Cadillac Williams.
Alex Smith.
Paris Warren.
Donte Nicholson.

OneToughGame
04-08-2009, 04:28 AM
The Buccaneers have 5 players on the roster who were part of that draft so I guess it wasn't too bad.

Barrett Ruud.
Cadillac Williams.
Alex Smith.
Paris Warren.
Donte Nicholson.

I felt so bad for Cadillac when he got hurt by Tatupu.. I really want to see him healthy for a year so we can see how he does, I loved him coming out of college.

3pac
04-08-2009, 04:42 AM
Colts had a pretty darn good draft in '05, if you ask me. Marlin Jackson, Kelvin Hayden, Tajuan Hagler, Matt Giordano, and a few decent bodies on both lines.

Flyboy
04-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Jammal Brown. I can't complain.

rockio42
04-08-2009, 11:48 AM

I read this and couldn't stop laughing...pwned

killxswitch
04-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Colts had a pretty darn good draft in '05, if you ask me. Marlin Jackson, Kelvin Hayden, Tajuan Hagler, Matt Giordano, and a few decent bodies on both lines.

Marlin Jackson - jury is out, he needs to step up this year
Kelvin Hayden - our best corner, if he improve as much this year as he did last year he'll be worth the big contract
Tyjuan Haggler - potential but never got it going
Vincent "Sweetpea" Burns - hahahahahaahahhaha
Dylan Gandy - good OLman, won the SB with him. Poor guy is with the Lions now.
Matt Giordano - Fast but not much in coverage.
Jonathan Welsh - out of football
Robert Hunt - out of football
Dave Rayner - Dude is on his 8th team, never did anything for us
Anthony Davis - out of football, had a brief stint in the CFL

10 picks, 1 very good and one ok starter still with the team, 1 good-enough starter who has moved on, and 2 backups. Not a complete failure like the Vikings' but not Polian's best.

21ST
04-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Redskins have 1 person left from our 07 draft but i dont think we count in these talks because we always have less picks than everyone else

Addict
04-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Draftastrophy?

Draft FAIL! ?

Oooh! Oooh! I know!!!

Bustravaganza!!!

Bust-o-Rama?
Bustathon?

Brent
04-08-2009, 12:19 PM
If you ignore Alex Smith, that was a pretty decent draft for us.

Going back to the original post, I liked Dustin Fox coming out of OSU so I was sad to see him fail.

3pac
04-09-2009, 02:18 AM
Marlin Jackson - jury is out, he needs to step up this year
Kelvin Hayden - our best corner, if he improve as much this year as he did last year he'll be worth the big contract
Tyjuan Haggler - potential but never got it going
Vincent "Sweetpea" Burns - hahahahahaahahhaha
Dylan Gandy - good OLman, won the SB with him. Poor guy is with the Lions now.
Matt Giordano - Fast but not much in coverage.
Jonathan Welsh - out of football
Robert Hunt - out of football
Dave Rayner - Dude is on his 8th team, never did anything for us
Anthony Davis - out of football, had a brief stint in the CFL

10 picks, 1 very good and one ok starter still with the team, 1 good-enough starter who has moved on, and 2 backups. Not a complete failure like the Vikings' but not Polian's best.

I'd argue Marlin Jackson is 90% as important to our D as Hayden is. He makes lots of big plays and I've never seen him give up a big pass. Heck, his INT ended the '06 AFCCG against the Patriots. Super kudos for that.

Hayden is All-Pro level.

Tyjuan Hagler just got resigned, and will probably start for us for at least the beginning of this next season, which is a success in itself given how many defensive players we go through.

Burns was bad.

Gandy was a key fixture in our SB year. But yes, I suppose he is gone.

Giordano is also still on the team, still playing, and is one of our best special teamers. Plus with the amount that Sanders is gone, he sees lots of time on the field and has always done allright. Not great but he's valuable to us.

Welsh, Hunt, Rayner, and Davis...who were our late round filler-picks, didn't work out. But who cares, they were drafted in the 5-7th rounds.

Personally I'd still say it's pretty good compared to most teams '05 drafts.

BigBanger
04-09-2009, 02:51 AM
Lot of good players in round 2, but that was one of the worst top 10s I think you're ever gonna see. Alex Smith first overall was an immortal bust. I will never know how he was pegged as a franchise QB, or something that resembles a franchise QB. I think he could be solid starter, even to this day, but my GOD! Best player in the draft? No. Just no. Tory Williamson and Alex Smith were two of the most predictable busts I think I've ever seen.

LOL at the Washington Redskins. They wait until Rodgers is taken off the board to trade up and take a QB not even close to Rodgers with the very next pick. Unbelievable.

Derrick Johnson and Cedric Benson were two players that have disappointed that I was very high on. Completely wrong about both of those guys. I thought Johnson was a future All-Pro OLB.

Looks like I was right about Roddy White being head-and-shoulders the best WR from that class. Edwards is as overrated now as he was then.

Sad to see guys like David Pollack, Cadillac Williams (Darent as well) and Kevin Everett not be able to play. Then Odell Thurman (Who would have been just as good Lofa) and Pacman Jones completely blow it.

Iamcanadian
04-09-2009, 08:12 AM
Didn't James come down with Cancer or something, who know what he could have been?

FuzzyGopher
04-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Didn't James come down with Cancer or something, who know what he could have been?

That's Udeze, James just got injured a lot and is lazy.

pete_norm
04-09-2009, 10:43 AM

That's Kenechi Udeze. Udeze is still with the Vikings.

James' problem was his knees. He was traded to Washington last year and then was waived. He's a free agent right now.

Malaka
04-09-2009, 12:00 PM
That's Kenechi Udeze. Udeze is still with the Vikings.

James' problem was his knees. He was traded to Washington last year and then was waived. He's a free agent right now.

Udeze was better than Jame anyway, does anyone know how Udeze is doing, I'd love for him to try to come back to football if he has fully recovered, it really be great story of overcoming something as serious as cancer, even if he just is a decent back-up when he comes back.

IndyColtScout
04-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Udeze was better than Jame anyway, does anyone know how Udeze is doing, I'd love for him to try to come back to football if he has fully recovered, it really be great story of overcoming something as serious as cancer, even if he just is a decent back-up when he comes back.

Colts dropped the ball with the Burns pick. I will always remember becaue I was screaming for Dungy to take Marion Barber from Tony's own University of Minnesota.

There isn't a doubt in my mind that the Colts would have beaten the Pats or Steelers with a RB combo of Edge/Barber to go along with the passing attack of Manning/Harrison/Wayne/Stokley/Clark.

It would have been unstoppable, and seriously I will always remember the Colts dropping the ball on that pick. Plus the fact that Tory Holt is a complete tard and was all like "I like this pick, the Colts are adding guys to their team that fit the mold they like." Good call Tory!

SuperMcGee
04-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Bills will have nothing left from this year if Roscoe is out. Not nearly as bad considering we had no first round pick, let alone two, but how we used that pick didn't work out so well and this was a brutal class.

1 - traded for JP Losman
2 - punt returner
3 - paralyzed
4 - The Duke. Lawl.
5 - did nothing
6 - never saw the field
7 - beat a pregnant woman

PackerLegend
04-11-2009, 03:38 PM
This thread will turn into a homer thread in no time btw...

lol you seriously care that people are going to point out some of their teams worst drafts?

DaBear89
04-12-2009, 03:47 AM
round 4 had some pretty decent talent...
Kyle Orton
Dan Buenning
MB III
Brandon Jacobs
Kerry Rhodes
Jason Brown
Darren Sproles
Chris Canty

TonyGfortheTD
04-12-2009, 09:20 PM

13 worthwhile pro bowlers in the first 3 rounds....a handful of other guys who've been mediocre to average but sure haven't lived up to their draft status.

Thanks for posting this. Hilarious that Denver passed up Marion Barber III, Brandon Jacobs and Darren Sproles for Maurice Clarett.

ironman4579
04-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Looks like I was right about Roddy White being head-and-shoulders the best WR from that class. Edwards is as overrated now as he was then.

Let's not go crazy here. Edwards had a horrible year last year, but overall numbers still favour him.

Braylon Edwards

55 games, 228 catches, 3,558 yards, 15.6 YPC, 28 TD's
average 4.2 catches per game, 64.7 yards per game, just over a TD every 2 games.

Roddy White

64 games, 230 catches, 3,536 yards, 15.4 YPC, 16 TD's
average 3.6 catches per game, 55.3 yards per game, a TD every 4 games.

Thecollegedropout
04-13-2009, 12:25 AM
The Jets 1st pick was a kicker and a very bad one at that(Mike Nugent)....

Shoot we traded our 1st round pick for a 2nd round pick and TE Doug Jolley. :lol:

The lone good pick from that year is Kerry Rhodes. Lord what an awful draft for the Jets.

HokiesSkins2621
04-13-2009, 12:50 AM
EDIT: Nevermind didn't read whole thread. Thought Erasmus had cancer.

vidae
04-13-2009, 01:14 AM
Meh. Chiefs still have Derrick Johnson and Dustin Colquitt from that draft. That's not horrible.. though we did seem to have a decent amount of picks.

Crickett
04-13-2009, 01:15 AM
Meh. Chiefs still have Derrick Johnson and Dustin Colquitt from that draft. That's not horrible.. though we did seem to have a decent amount of picks.

Ah, Dustin Colquitt. That was a nice gag for a few years.

(The joke being that someone once made the argument that the best player at any position should be the first overall pick, so I started arguing that Dustin Colquitt should be the first overall pick in 2005. And then I just started adding Dustin Colquitt as an option to any poll I made. Example

Who is the better WR
Terrell Owens
Tory Holt
Dustin Colquitt)