PDA

View Full Version : CJ and Braylon to the Giants?

GaMeTiMe
04-07-2009, 09:57 PM
I know this sounds unreliable, but I just heard through someone else that a local radio station here is reporting that the Giants are in serious discussions with both Cleveland and Cincinnati to bring one, if not both Braylon Edwards and Chad Johnson to New York.

Again I know without a link it's hardly credible, but we know it's more than possible and I wouldn't have posted this if I had any reason to believe it wasn't reported..Stay tuned I guess?

For the record I'm from New York, and the radio station is WFAN.

OregonDucks
04-07-2009, 10:00 PM
I believe you. That would be a deadly offense. Braylon would actually catch footballs. Shall I say super bowl here they come again.

LookItsAlDavis
04-07-2009, 10:01 PM
It wouldn't last long though...they would be screaming for new contracts as soon as they get a taste of real success.

captainjack27
04-07-2009, 10:03 PM
One is possible...both, no way jose.

Thumper
04-07-2009, 10:05 PM
DO IT! The Giants would then have a crazy aging receiver who thinks he is better than he is. Oh and his name is Chad Ocho Sinco ;) so... He will clash with Eli Manning's style and Tom Coughlins' enviorment. Not only that but can the Giants keep both of them happy with their run based attack. All of a sudden the Giants have a young WR who collapses in crunch time (just like Eli) and an aging WR who's name is Chad Ocho-Sinco, 'nuff said.

jth1331
04-07-2009, 10:07 PM
What are the values of Edwards and Ocho Cinco?
I'd imagine maybe a 1st for Edwards, 2nd round pick.
Ocho Cinco a 2nd/3rd round pick.

Heck, do it Giants. Trade your 1st for Edwards and a 2nd for Ocho Cinco.

LonghornsLegend
04-07-2009, 10:07 PM
It's for one or the other, Chad is going to want a new deal, and Braylon will be fairly close to one...Signing both would be a disaster and I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

04-07-2009, 10:08 PM
I was hoping they would draft Britt instead, you know, for Scotty's sake.

LookItsAlDavis
04-07-2009, 10:10 PM
DO IT! The Giants would then have a crazy aging receiver who thinks he is better than he is. Oh and his name is Chad Ocho Sinco ;) so... He will clash with Eli Manning's style and Tom Coughlins' enviorment. Not only that but can the Giants keep both of them happy with their run based attack. All of a sudden the Giants have a young WR who collapses in crunch time (just like Eli) and an aging WR who's name is Chad Ocho-Sinco, 'nuff said.[b]value

Eli Manning has 16 4th-quarter comebacks, including a game winning touchdown in the SUPER BOWL. He may be inconsistent, but a choke he is not.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
04-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Get em out of my division!!!!

PACKmanN
04-07-2009, 10:14 PM
I believe you; that's how most of the NY sports media/fans typically think.

Thumper
04-07-2009, 10:14 PM
[b]value

Eli Manning has 16 4th-quarter comebacks, including a game winning touchdown in the SUPER BOWL. He may be inconsistent, but a choke he is not.

You must have missed the last time he played the Eagles in the playoffs and prior to that superbowl win he was known for being a choke artist but hey, everyone gets lucky sometimes.

Thumper
04-07-2009, 10:16 PM
I do know that the Eagles and Giants are both charging hard for Anquan Boldin and Braylon Edwards. The Giants can have Mr. Ocho Sinco (which BTW doesn't even mean 85).

PS- What happens if Chad is traded and he doesn't get #85?

LookItsAlDavis
04-07-2009, 10:20 PM
You must have missed the last time he played the Eagles in the playoffs and prior to that superbowl win he was known for being a choke artist but hey, everyone gets lucky sometimes.

Not every quarterback is going to be John Elway their first two years as a full-time starter. I'm not saying he's Dr. Clutch, I'm just saying 16 games that you help your team come back and win a game in the 4th quarter is more than your average choke-artist.

LookItsAlDavis
04-07-2009, 10:21 PM
I do know that the Eagles and Giants are both charging hard for Anquan Boldin and Braylon Edwards. The Giants can have Mr. Ocho Sinco (which BTW doesn't even mean 85).

We will get to hear about it everyday on Sportscenter, and it will be #1 on that weeks not top ten.

Giantsfan1080
04-07-2009, 10:22 PM
I'm still holding out hope for Barylon. I'm not sure bringing in both of thse guys is a good idea though.

As for the other thing as someone already said Eli might be a lot of things but being a choke artist is not one of them.

ChezPower4
04-07-2009, 10:25 PM
I'm sure they could land one but I doubt they get both of them. Giants would have to give up too much as well as pay both of them. I'm pretty sure that Edwards contract is up after this season and he's going to want Larry Fitz money.

Giantsfan1080
04-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Just did a little research on this. Apparently 950 ESPN Radio in Philly was reporting that the Giants and Browns were close to a deal for our 1st and 5th round picks for Braylon. Apparently WFAN has picked this rumor up and is also doing work to find out if this is true or not. It's all speculation at this point though.

LookItsAlDavis
04-07-2009, 10:27 PM
So long to the idea of Crabtree going to Oakland......:(

Mr. Hero
04-07-2009, 10:33 PM

Eli is the clutchest QB in the NFC East, at the very least.

Toneloc498
04-07-2009, 10:37 PM

You Sir are an Idiot. Eli had a bad game against the eagles in the playoffs but you must have forgotten that overtime comeback win that Eli got over the eagles in 06, ahhhh what a great game that was. Eli has had 16 4th quarter comebacks in 4 and a half years of starting as a NFL quarterback which is a GREAT feat. Lucky? Give me a damn break. Let's break down some other QB's "lucky stats" as you may call it...Joe Montana finished his career at age 38 with 31 fourth quarter/overtime comebacks. Tom Brady in 7 years starting has 26 comebacks, Dan Marino had 37 fourth quarter comebacks in 17 NFL seasons.

Not saying he will but if Eli does play 17 NFL seasons (unlikely) and keeps up this pace he could get up to 54 fourth quarter comebacks which would put him number one all time in that catagory. Like I said it is unlikley that will happen but im just tossing some stats around. If this is a choke artist then you tell me what quarterback is not one

Oh and also Eli has lead his team to the playoffs for four years straight, all four years he has started. Yep, hes one heck of a choke artist... He sucks

Thumper
04-07-2009, 10:38 PM
Eli is the clutchest QB in the NFC East, at the very least.

that is not saying much when you are in a division with Mr. Choke himself (Romo) and Donovan McNabb. I'd say that D-Mac and Eli are =.

PS- I wonder what would've happened if the Eagles had a #1 WR, how good would McNabb be?

LookItsAlDavis
04-07-2009, 10:41 PM
that is not saying much when you are in a division with Mr. Choke himself (Romo) and Donovan McNabb. I'd say that D-Mac and Eli are =.

PS- I wonder what would've happened if the Eagles had a #1 WR, how good would McNabb be?

Oh we found out...when he couldn't run a two minute drill in the biggest game of his life cause he was "sick."

LookItsAlDavis
04-07-2009, 10:42 PM
PS...

Eli's record in the Super Bowl 1-0
McNabb's 0-1

Both had a chance to win it. Only one did.

Thumper
04-07-2009, 10:42 PM
You Sir are an Idiot. Eli had a bad game against the eagles in the playoffs but you must have forgotten that overtime comeback win that Eli got over the eagles in 06, ahhhh what a great game that was. Eli has had 16 4th quarter comebacks in 4 and a half years of starting as a NFL quarterback which is a GREAT feat. Lucky? Give me a damn break. Let's break down some other QB's "lucky stats" as you may call it...Joe Montana finished his career at age 38 with 31 fourth quarter/overtime comebacks. Tom Brady in 7 years starting has 26 comebacks, Dan Marino had 37 fourth quarter comebacks in 17 NFL seasons.

Not saying he will but if Eli does play 17 NFL seasons (unlikely) and keeps up this pace he could get up to 54 fourth quarter comebacks which would put him number one all time in that catagory. Like I said it is unlikley that will happen but im just tossing some stats around. If this is a choke artist then you tell me what quarterback is not one

Oh and also Eli has lead his team to the playoffs for four years straight, all four years he has started. Yep, hes one heck of a choke artist... He sucks

I'm not going to lie, Eli is coming along and he is getting better but he was not known for being clutch and you and I both know that. Oh and those first 3 years he made the playoffs, he rode on the heels of a great run game (first with Tiki now with Jacobs) and a dominant defense.

holt_bruce81
04-07-2009, 10:43 PM
One maybe, both? yeah right.

Sniper
04-07-2009, 10:43 PM
You Sir are an Idiot. Eli had a bad game against the eagles in the playoffs but you must have forgotten that overtime comeback win that Eli got over the eagles in 06

I hate you so much. :( I was at that game. Everything was going swimmingly until Andy Reid curled up into a shell. Then Plaxico Burress caught the GW TD right below me. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh. I got sunburned too, just to make things extra special.

Sniper
04-07-2009, 10:44 PM
PS...

Eli's record in the Super Bowl 1-0
McNabb's 0-1

Both had a chance to win it. Only one did.

Trent Dilfer= 1-0
Dan Marino= 0-1

Trent Dilfer for HOFer?

Giantsfan1080
04-07-2009, 10:45 PM
I hate you so much. :( I was at that game. Everything was going swimmingly until Andy Reid curled up into a shell. Then Plaxico Burress caught the GW TD right below me. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh. I got sunburned too, just to make things extra special.

I was at that game also. I felt the exact opposite obviously.

LookItsAlDavis
04-07-2009, 10:46 PM
One maybe, both? yeah right.

Yeah that was a little unfair for me to say that, but he did throw 3 interceptions and was sacked 4 times. Hard to win when your QB has a game like that.

LookItsAlDavis
04-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Trent Dilfer= 1-0
Dan Marino= 0-1

Trent Dilfer for HOFer?

Shhhhh......lol

Giantsfan1080
04-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Eli's first big comeback was against the Broncos in his first year starting. We were 2 TD's in the 4th quarter I believe and we won it with a last second TD pass to Toomer.

Toneloc498
04-07-2009, 10:50 PM
I'm not going to lie, Eli is coming along and he is getting better but he was not known for being clutch and you and I both know that. Oh and those first 3 years he made the playoffs, he rode on the heels of a great run game (first with Tiki now with Jacobs) and a dominant defense.

Dominant defense? What? I believe it was the defense who choked in 2006 when Eli in the Wild Card round brought the giants back to tie the game with 5 minutes left and the defense decided to give up 50 yards to the offense and let them kick a field goal to win the game. Or what about 2005 Eli's first year starting where our defense was so dominant that we had to sign Kevin freaking Lewis to start at LB a week before playoff game because we had no starting linebackers left. Nick Griesen played not being able to move his left arm up, we signed an old Terell Buckley less then a week before the game to stick him on Steve Smith because we had no corners. Yea those defenses were surely dominant. And I ask you again, if Eli is not considered cluch (lol) then what QB is?

Thumper
04-07-2009, 10:52 PM
^^^
Tom Brady

LookItsAlDavis
04-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Dominant defense? What? I believe it was the defense who choked in 2006 when Eli in the Wild Card round brought the giants back to tie the game with 5 minutes left and the defense decided to give up 50 yards to the offense and let them kick a field goal to win the game. Or what about 2005 Eli's first year starting where our defense was so dominant that we had to sign Kevin freaking Lewis to start at LB a week before playoff game because we had no starting linebackers left. Nick Griesen played not being able to move his left arm up, we signed an old Terell Buckley less then a week before the game to stick him on Steve Smith because we had no corners. Yea those defenses were surely dominant. And I ask you again, if Eli is not considered cluch (lol) then what QB is?

Stoney Case lol

Mr. Hero
04-07-2009, 10:55 PM

Then WTF is he known for. Eli's ability to drive his team down the field when it matters is his best trait. I honestly can't figure out how someone could use such absolute terms when you're clearly so ignorant of what you're talking about.

Edit not even mentioning how pathetic our defense was before spags showed up and helped us win a superbowl, so know he didn't ride the heels of a dominant defense.

BlindSite
04-07-2009, 11:20 PM
Losing plaxico and shockey in consecutive years has really hurt the offense's quick strike ability.

They need someone who can strike and strike quickly. The draft won't give them the immediacy their offense needs to be effective.

ChezPower4
04-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Losing plaxico and shockey in consecutive years has really hurt the offense's quick strike ability.

They need someone who can strike and strike quickly. The draft won't give them the immediacy their offense needs to be effective.

This was all very clear at the end of last season when the Giants lost Plax. They were no where near as explosive. It also allowed teams to load up the box to better stop the run.

Thumper
04-07-2009, 11:47 PM
I think I have been proven wrong but in those first couple of years that was MY impression of Eli Manning. Remember that I am an Eagles fan so my impression of the New York Giants is inherently bad.

BaLLiN
04-08-2009, 05:55 AM
no chad johnson! they meant Calvin johnson :)

but in all seriousness id like braylon in NY, prob a first and conditional pick in '10.

Donovan can be great because he is athletic and all, but Eli is not really and thats his only real lacking part of his game.

Also that playoff game was a joke, you cannot say that was a choke because the wind negated every throw made, that just makes you not credible so anything you say wont be taken seriously.

eaglesalltheway
04-08-2009, 07:18 AM

Honestly, though it would piss me off to see Britt go to a Division rival, since I like him so much, I honestly would want him to go there if the Eagles can't get Britt. And that is Simply because Scotty will be the happiest person on the face of the earth. Personally, the Giants are the team that I'd like to see Britt go to (In the whole NFL), after the Eagles. He would be in a great position for success there, even though he would be a rival.

Addict
04-08-2009, 08:02 AM
Can we please all agree to the following two facts:

1. Chad Johnsons nickname is Ocho Cinco or 85
2. CJ stands for Calvin Jesus a.k.a Calvin Johnson.

This thread nearly gave me a damn hartattack because of those two letters.

Caddy
04-08-2009, 08:29 AM

If this doesn't happen Scotty may just commit suicide.

ChezPower4
04-08-2009, 09:15 AM

Let's not be rash about this now. What would Rutgers do without their biggest fan?

Grizzlegom
04-08-2009, 09:22 AM
i thought cleveland was asking for a 1st and third? with the giants picking so late in the first, i dont see how they could downgrade the third to a fifth.

I could see a conditional pick in next years draft that defaults to a 4th at worst and could go as high as a second based on production but cleveland definitely doesnt need to trade braylon so accepting less than the going value would be very stupid, especially when the giants are obviously desperate for more help. Cleveland has too much bargaining power to take less than their asking price.

keylime_5
04-08-2009, 09:27 AM
If it's a 1st, 5th, and one of the WRs like Hixon or whoever.

FlyingElvis
04-08-2009, 10:02 AM
There's no way the Giants get both. One or the other would help them regain the explosiveness lost to Plax's idiocy. But both isn't going to happen.

I saw CJ and thought Megatron, too. That is one guy I feel confident saying will absolutely not be leaving Detroit any time soon.

EDIT: It is common for players to call each other by the number(s) they wear, both Eightyfive and Eight Five. Whether or not Chad's "Ocho Cinco" was intentionally Eight-Five instead of Eightyfive is not known, but the nickname isn't necessarily wrong.

Addict
04-08-2009, 12:01 PM

with Rutgers' roster full of future all-pro's? No way Scotty's gonna miss out.

LonghornsLegend
04-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Also that playoff game was a joke, you cannot say that was a choke because the wind negated every throw made, that just makes you not credible so anything you say wont be taken seriously.

I like how Eli is allowed all the excuses in the world...You know it does get windy in an outdoor stadium in NY, that's going to happen again at some point.

But Braylon would be a great addition, he's a deep threat that can go up and get the ball, and he fits well with Steve Smith.

Bengalsrocket
04-08-2009, 01:38 PM

1) it's Ocho Cinco, the C sounds like an S when you pronounce it, but it's not spelled with an S.

2) The eight-five is on purpose. He'd change his name to eightyfive ("Ochenta y Cinco" I believe) if that's what he wanted. Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it's a mistake.

coordinator0
04-08-2009, 01:46 PM
As a Ravens fan, this sounds like a dream.

BaLLiN
04-08-2009, 04:22 PM
I like how Eli is allowed all the excuses in the world...You know it does get windy in an outdoor stadium in NY, that's going to happen again at some point.

But Braylon would be a great addition, he's a deep threat that can go up and get the ball, and he fits well with Steve Smith.

yes, i would not consider it a crappy game though, passes sail with horrible recievers and winds, its a fact, Eli cant do it all lol.

ironman4579
04-08-2009, 10:38 PM
I'm fairly certain that the reports mean they are going after both, but will only want one. If they get one, they likely won;t keep going after the other.

Thumper
04-08-2009, 10:41 PM
God the Eagles and Giants are going after the same people. The Eagles have now lowered themselves to targeting Chad Ocho-Sinco. :(

Iamcanadian
04-09-2009, 08:14 AM
I wouldn't touch Edwaqrds, he led the NFL in drops last year especially in crucial situations and for the money he makes, it ain't worth it.

ironman4579
04-09-2009, 04:19 PM
I wouldn't touch Edwaqrds, he led the NFL in drops last year especially in crucial situations and for the money he makes, it ain't worth it.

Chad Johnson led the league in drops a few years ago as well.