PDA

View Full Version : Will Roy E Williams be an All-Pro next year?

cdf_2108
04-08-2009, 10:42 AM
I feel like people forget how good this guy was in Detroit in 2006/2007. He obviously didn't have a great year with the 2008 lions/cowboys but I feel like circumstances were heavily against him.

He's at that sweet-spot age for receivers and he'll be way more adjusted to the cowboys offense and be their only legit #1 target.

Two receivers make 1st Team All Pro right? I bet it's gonna be amongst CJ, Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, and Moss (if only cuz of brady). Steve smith and boldin are past their peaks, don't think bowe/marshall are as polished yet plus they are on some shaky offenses.

LookItsAlDavis
04-08-2009, 10:54 AM
I think he will have a good year, but he won't be able to beat out CJ, Fitz, Moss, or Owens (yes I think he will have a great year) for the All-Pro team. He has a decent chance of going to the Pro-Bowl though.

ChezPower4
04-08-2009, 10:58 AM
I don't think he'll make all-pro. Without TO in Dallas I think it's very possible for him to make the Pro Bowl (All Dallas fans will vote for him so he'll have a good chance of getting there).

BrownsTown
04-08-2009, 10:58 AM
I laughed and Boldin and Steve Smith being written off.

cdf_2108
04-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Yeah but there was a time when this debate was only about Torry Holt, Marvin Harrison, and Chad Johnson and all of these guys probably wont be with their original teams next year.

I'm just saying, Steve Smith and Boldin's style of play is very physical and yard-after-catch oriented which just doesn't translate to long careers like a less physical style (i.e. randy moss)

BrownsTown
04-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Neither are over 30 or have shown any significant signs of wear.

Brent
04-08-2009, 11:10 AM
by all-pro do you mean making the pro bowl?

21ST
04-08-2009, 11:25 AM
by all-pro do you mean making the pro bowl?

No he means making the all pro team

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/01/09/all-pro-roster.ap/index.html

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-08-2009, 11:30 AM
I doubt it. First off, Romo won't be as good as everyone thinks he will. T.O. made him the superstar many see him as. With him gone, I see Romo playing at a mediocre level, maybe a little bit above average but he won't be anything special. A rich mans Orton or Cassel...

Addict
04-08-2009, 11:59 AM
as long as a lions qb has an arm, CJ will beat Roy E. Williams. That said, he'll be really, really good. Worth what Dallas gave up for him, that's for sure.

Brent
04-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Doesn't he have a problem with drops?

Burns336
04-08-2009, 12:28 PM
No. He will fail.

Only over 1000 yards one time in his career and has never posted double digit touchdowns.

I'm guessing we'll get like 1100 yards out of him and 8 td's which is decent, but not good enough for what we gave up for him.

AntoinCD
04-08-2009, 12:29 PM
I really can't see it for him next year. The Cowboys are probably going to focus more on running the ball next year and Witten will take up the majority of Romos passes. Plus with some of the receivers mentioned above and Andre Johnson who wasn't mentioned the competition is far too hot. If I was to go out on a limb I would say the two All pro receivers will be Fitz and Andre Johnson-CJ misses out because if it is Stafford who is drafted it may take him a while to get settled, Moss will have another good year but not do quite enough, Carolina will run the ball too often to allow Steve Smith to have enough catches but he could have some real big ones and Bowe may be a year away from this level.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
04-08-2009, 02:03 PM
How good he was in Detroit? Check the numbers, he hasn't put up great numbers, and hasn't played that many full seasons. Hype Hype Hype. Give me some consistent production. He has fallen far short of what was expected comin out of Texas.

vidae
04-08-2009, 02:05 PM
For the price the Cowboys paid for him, you better hope he is.

Michigan
04-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Roy can match up with any WR in the league in terms of talent (except for Calvin, of course). Great size, speed, strength, leaping ability, body control, etc. However, he's not always "on", AKA he'll disappear for stretches and play inconsistently. If he really focuses, I see no reason why he can't make the Pro Bowl, but that's a big "if".

cdf_2108
04-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Can't believe I forgot about Andre Johnson... yeah this is a pretty loaded time in the NFL for receivers but I still think Roy E Williams stacks up with Johnson and Fitz in terms of physical abilities.

Smith will be 30 in May and Boldin will play his last season in his 20s next year. Plus pretty hard to be named all-pro when you have another all-pro on your team.

Addict
04-08-2009, 02:46 PM
Can't believe I forgot about Andre Johnson... yeah this is a pretty loaded time in the NFL for receivers but I still think Roy E Williams stacks up with Johnson and Fitz in terms of physical abilities.

Smith will be 30 in May and Boldin will play his last season in his 20s next year. Plus pretty hard to be named all-pro when you have another all-pro on your team.

wow wow wow wow. No he does not. He's good. But he doesn't compare in any way to Fitz and CJ.

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson and Andre Johnson are in there own league. No one right now is as good as those 3.

Geo
04-08-2009, 02:52 PM
All-Pro is aiming way too high.

cdf_2108
04-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Roy Williams and Larry Fitzgerald had pretty much identical triangle numbers at the combine (6'3, 4.5, 215). Obviously CJ was more of a combine freak but in terms of getting separation and being physical after-the-catch, I find it hard to not put Roy in their company when he's on his game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCmK8_Kp_eM

fenikz
04-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Roy Williams would be the Cardinals 4th WR, how is he gonna be a all-pro

Addict
04-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Roy Williams and Larry Fitzgerald had pretty much identical triangle numbers at the combine (6'3, 4.5, 215). Obviously CJ was more of a combine freak but in terms of getting separation and being physical after-the-catch, I find it hard to not put Roy in their company when he's on his game:

combine numbers don't mean that much. Anyone with a pair of eyes can see that Roy Williams does not belong in the list Fitzgerald, Calvin Johsnon, Andre Johnson. Yes he's good, but he's not the same kind of animal.

FlyingElvis
04-08-2009, 03:09 PM
No. Too much competition w/stud WRs around the league and too much competition from Witten and RBs out of the backfield. But he will make the pro-bowl b/c Dallas fans are vote whores.

Addict
04-08-2009, 03:12 PM
No. Too much competition w/stud WRs around the league and too much competition from Witten and RBs out of the backfield. But he will make the pro-bowl b/c Dallas fans are vote whores.

the Pro Bowl doesn't mean anything anymore.

Splat
04-08-2009, 03:29 PM

Even when he is on his game his game couldn't touch their game with a ten foot pole.

bored of education
04-08-2009, 03:31 PM
the thing is Roy E is on his game far less than Larry and Andre and CJ.

So in other words he sucks.

ChezPower4
04-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Even when he is on his game his game couldn't touch their game with a ten foot pole.

In Williams defense, He did have Jon Kitna throwing him the ball.

soybean
04-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson and Andre Johnson are in there own league. No one right now is as good as those 3.

i think he showed in the playoffs, Fitz is in a league of HIS own.

D-Unit
04-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Cowboys fans are the greatest, aren't they. :p

Splat
04-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Cowboys fans are the greatest, aren't they. :p

Yes they are the greatest homers of all time. :)

WMD
04-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Roy Williams has tons of talent.. He just has lapses in concentration, unreliable hands.. He has All Pro ability, but beating out the previously named NFC WR's is unlikely.

I think Roy Williams and Braylon Edwards are the same person.

thetedginnshow
04-08-2009, 05:45 PM
He won't be able to beat out Miles KILOMETERS Austin.

E-Man
04-08-2009, 05:55 PM
All Pro is pushing it, but Pro Bowl is a reasonable expectation. He is a big guy with long hands that likes to catch balls on his fingertips. I think him and Romo will have some really nice sideline and end zone hook ups next season. When Roy is motivated he has all world talent. I think this year he'll be motivated to make a name for himself. The problem is after next year. Is he going to get into slumps again like in Detroit. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I'm not banking on anything with him until he shows some consistency.

Oh and there's no way in hell that Cowboy fans are the biggest homers. We just have to defend our team from dumb asses who like to downgrade the good players on the team. Romo sucks so bad that in his first 39 starts he has 81 TDs and a 63.6% accuracy.:rolleyes: If you don't think he's a a top 5 guy that's fine, but thinking he sucks is ********. Besides there are about 4 or 5 AFC teams that have the biggest elitist homers. Look at how many Cowboys are in the Hall of Fame versus teams with way less titles and tell me that Cowboy fans are the biggest homers.

Sniper
04-08-2009, 06:42 PM
No. Guys that would make the All-Pro team before REW does include...

Andre Johnson
Steve Smith
Larry Fitzgerald
Calvin Johnson
Anquan Boldin
Randy Moss
Wes Welker
Dwayne Bowe
Brandon Marshall
Roddy White
Greg Jennings
Lee Evans
Terrell Owens
Vincent Jackson
Donald Driver
Chad Johnson
DeSean Jackson
T.J Houshmanzadeh
Braylon Edwards
Santonio Holmes

Am I forgetting anyone?

Malaka
04-08-2009, 06:51 PM
No. Guys that would make the All-Pro team before REW does include...

Andre Johnson
Steve Smith
Larry Fitzgerald
Calvin Johnson
Anquan Boldin
Randy Moss
Wes Welker
Dwayne Bowe
Brandon Marshall
Roddy White
Greg Jennings
Lee Evans
Terrell Owens
Vincent Jackson
Donald Driver
Chad Johnson
DeSean Jackson
T.J Houshmanzadeh
Braylon Edwards
Santonio Holmes

Am I forgetting anyone?

Leave out Lee Evans, Donald Driver, DeSean Jackson, and Wes Welker and you sir are correct.

Geo
04-08-2009, 06:52 PM
I would include Reggie Wayne, especially now that Harrison isn't stealing targets and Peyton is healthy again. In a similar situation, he had a great 2007 season (104-1,510-10).

Bucs_Rule
04-08-2009, 06:54 PM
It is hard to say someone will be an All-Pro after averaging 2 Rec a game last year. That was due to Garrett not using him, but if he was unable to use his last year its unrealistic to expect Garrett to be able to turn him into an All-Pro. Would Fitz/A Johnson have had his limited production if he was in Williams spot was year?

Sniper
04-08-2009, 07:01 PM
I would include Reggie Wayne, especially now that Harrison isn't stealing targets and Peyton is healthy again. In a similar situation, he had a great 2007 season (104-1,510-10).

Wow, I completely forgot about Reggie. He's obviously on there, my bad.

Malaka, DeSean is going to get 2,300 yards and 28 TD this year. Deal with it.

Brent
04-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Am I forgetting anyone?
Derrick Mason (can't believe he's never been voted to the pro-bowl, what a joke)

stephenson86
04-08-2009, 07:56 PM
he will forever be almost great but never will actually get there

Brent
04-08-2009, 08:01 PM
he will forever be almost great but never will actually get there
Derrick Mason? He's got 10k yards and most of that was after 4 years in the league. If anything he's underrated.

Malaka
04-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Wow, I completely forgot about Reggie. He's obviously on there, my bad.

Malaka, DeSean is going to get 2,300 yards and 28 TD this year. Deal with it.

And Domenik Hixon is going to do that, solve world hunger, and calculate the exact value of Pi.

LonghornsLegend
04-08-2009, 08:49 PM
He may never make the All-Pro team, but a pro bowl season is within reach...One thing I do know he can do, and that's get into the endzone...The only 3 WR's that I can think of that had more TD's then him(23) in his first 3 seasons were Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald(24), and Greg Jennings(24), nearly every other elite WR didn't come close to that margin.

I'll have to see if he can be a complete WR in every aspect, but I don't think he'll have any trouble reaching 10 TD's with the looks he'll get.

JonasBlane
04-08-2009, 09:30 PM
This question should really be whether or not he will be a pro-bowler, rather than All-Pro. I think we all pretty much agree he has little to no shot at All-Pro. Even though Pro Bowls isn't a very good measure of how good a season a player has had, I still think it's a more realistic goal for Roy.

Sniper
04-08-2009, 10:37 PM
And Domenik Hixon is going to do that, solve world hunger, and calculate the exact value of Pi.

I was under the impression that we were discussing non-scrub WRs.

ChezPower4
04-08-2009, 11:11 PM
Leave out Lee Evans, Donald Driver, DeSean Jackson, and Wes Welker and you sir are correct.

Why leave out Welker?

D-Unit
04-09-2009, 01:08 AM
Why leave out Welker?
Oh puhleese. Welker..pfft.

AJHawk50
04-09-2009, 02:11 AM
Personally I don't even know why the issue is coming up over him...he is a great talent. Give him a chance before anyone writes him off. He had half a year to learn everything. Give him this camp and getting to know everyone and the subtraction of T.O. and you will see a much improved WR from last season.

OzTitan
04-09-2009, 02:30 AM
Derrick Mason? He's got 10k yards and most of that was after 4 years in the league. If anything he's underrated.

It's easier to believe when you remember he was a Titan for the most part :P He's the Keith Bulluck of offense.

Cigaro
04-09-2009, 02:36 AM
I feel like people forget how good this guy was in Detroit in 2006/2007. He obviously didn't have a great year with the 2008 lions/cowboys but I feel like circumstances were heavily against him.

He's at that sweet-spot age for receivers and he'll be way more adjusted to the cowboys offense and be their only legit #1 target.

Two receivers make 1st Team All Pro right? I bet it's gonna be amongst CJ, Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, and Moss (if only cuz of brady). Steve smith and boldin are past their peaks, don't think bowe/marshall are as polished yet plus they are on some shaky offenses.

Steve Smith will punch your baby in the face, then eat it's flesh raw. How that for past his peak?

BigBanger
04-09-2009, 02:58 AM

Roy Williams in due time will be go down as one of the biggest trade blunders in franchise sports history. The guy is an absolute bust and in time people are going to see that. He couldn't get separation in college and he can't do it now. That would make 3 out 4 WRs taken by the Lions in the top 10 turn out to be utter failures. I'm stunned they got a first, third and a sixth for a bust. It's one of the worst trades I've ever heard of, then the Cowboys compound that by giving him a huge contract.

If anyone from the group you listed thats about to emerge its Dwayne Bowe (then again from what you said, I don't think you have a clue as to what you're talking about). He's not going to be in a shaky offense. The Chiefs will have one of the best schemes in the NFL and pretty much the only fit that will make Cassel the player he's paid to be.

Roy will be cut in two years. Out of the NFL in 4... max. I really believe that. I think he's absolutely garbage. I've always thought that. Sweed was much better and for whatever reason went were he was supposed to and Williams didn't.

BlindSite
04-09-2009, 04:44 AM
All Pro? He's got to get past Steve Smith, Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, I dare say DeSean Jackson could be right in the mix as well. He'll probably be up there, but realistically speaking he's fighting an uphill battle even for a probowl spot.

Cicero
04-09-2009, 05:16 AM
All Pro? He's got to get past Steve Smith, Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, I dare say DeSean Jackson could be right in the mix as well. He'll probably be up there, but realistically speaking he's fighting an uphill battle even for a probowl spot.

He's a Cowboy, so that means he'll go to the pro bowl even if he doesn't deserve to.

noondog
04-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Roy Williams drops way too many balls, runs terrible routes and has suck attacks when things aren't going his way. Not only will he not even make the Pro Bowl, but unless Jason Witten has an absolute monster year (100 grabs / 10 scores ++), Roy may end up being responsible for keeping Romo out of the Pro Bowl too.

Addict
04-09-2009, 09:43 AM

I think you're underrating Williams a bit now. DeShean is good, but Roy is still better than him.

Sniper
04-09-2009, 09:46 AM
I think you're underrating Williams a bit now. DeShean is good, but Roy is still better than him.

DeSean had over twice the amount of yards that Roy had last year.

MetSox17
04-09-2009, 10:44 AM

Williams also played a fourth of the season with Detroit, and was hurt for most of the rest of the season, on a team with Terrell Owens and Jason Witten.

Addict
04-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Williams also played a fourth of the season with Detroit, and was hurt for most of the rest of the season, on a team with Terrell Owens and Jason Witten.

what he said. Also DeSean was one of the only targets to Donavan McNabb (who had a line and a run offense to fall back on if need be)

ChezPower4
04-09-2009, 11:39 AM

He played in Detroit for some of last year and while he was there CJ was getting all the balls thrown his way.

BcLion
04-09-2009, 11:42 AM

Speaking of hurt, Has RW ever made it through a whole season without being dinged up in one way or anouther? Guy has talent that he shows for the big sportscenter play but he lacks the focus to be consistent. I watched every game he played for the Lions and if being home playing for Dallas can somehow turn the light on he could be one of the best. My thinking is he is lights out for 5 games then gets dinged and floats the rest of the season.

That all being said one thing I always liked about RW is he isnt a headcase WR making headlines every week. He tends to be somewhat of a selfadmited Dork. Oh and he doesn't know what to tip the pizza guy.

He should be a good face for the Dallas cowboys even if he doesn't live up to the trade value it took to get him.

Somse
04-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Williams is overrated. One 1000+ yard season in 6 seasons. People talk about him like he's an elite receiver but I realistically think he's a quality #2, at least until he develops more consistency.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
04-09-2009, 12:16 PM

Yeah, that is why his number were absolute crap. Calvin found a way to get it done. Consistently being injured is an excuse? Playing on a team with other talented players who can draw away coverage is an excuse? Being the only target that people can focus on (DeSean) is an advantage?

People need to look at the facts, and those show that he is not consistently at a level that deserves the recognition and attention that he has been given. He has some nice catches, but what did they matter? What is his body of work? Not very impressive. Consistently missing games due to injuries isn't a reason to be optimistic, it is a concern! Until he does something, he is an overhyped guy who has never lived up to his draft position, contract, or trade value. Simply put.

An offseason spent with the Cowboys and learning the offense and getting on the same page as Romo to be the #1 WR option will be great to better evaluate him, but his numbers from last year after the trade are beyond what an excuse for dropped production should be, they were straight up bad. Given what we have to go from in the past, this should be a concern, not reason for optimism. He will be given every chance to succeed in Dallas, they gave up a lot for him, and made some moves that have put all the marbles in his basket. For good or bad, they will ride him. Hopefully he finally lives up to the hype he has been given, but simply put, has not lived up to for an entire season. If he gets injured, like he usually does, they are awfully thin at WR. Can you rely on this guy to be your consistent #1 for an entire season? The next 2 seasons will be the ones that determine his career, his last chance to show he's a legit #1 target on a good offense. No longer is the excuse 'he was on the Lions'.

AJHawk50
04-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Exactly, I still don't understand why everyone considers him a bust after half a season with the Cowboys???

bendert58
04-09-2009, 04:11 PM
As a guy who has watched him for his entire stay in Detroit, he is a guy with great talent who just doesnt live up to the hype. He'll make some sick catches and you'll think that he is unstoppable, but once you count on him to make a catch he becomes Mr. Drops. Its not like Jon Kitna was hitting him in stride, but if you are paid to catch a ball, you better catch the ball. Good luck Cowboy fans, I'm much happier with Calvin.