PDA

View Full Version : 2009 NHL Draft/Free Agency discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Geo
04-12-2009, 07:33 PM
The best postseason in all of sports, the Stanley Cup Playoffs, will be starting now. One team will be crowned champion.

But all 30 teams will be using the NHL Draft and free agency to get better so that they can achieve that feat in the '09-'10 season.

The 2009 NHL Draft lottery (http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=7027) takes place this Tuesday, April 14th 8pm et live on TSN and Versus.

May 25 - 30 is when the NHL Combine occurs.

The 2009 NHL Draft (http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/) will be held in the Bell Centre in Montreal, on June 26 - 27.

July 1st marks the beginning of free agency signing period.

Discuss.

Chucky
04-12-2009, 07:34 PM
Brian Burke please dont sign the Sedins,save the money for Nash next year

O and Betteman rig it so the Leafs move up..... PLEASE

Geo
04-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Leafs have a 4.7% chance of winning the lottery, which would bump them to the 3rd overall pick. Crazy as it sounds, I have hope it can happen. That's not too bad a shot.

I would love to sign the Sedins, although would love Nash [in 2010] more but don't think he leaves Columbus. The Jackets will lock him up to a mega deal, they are a much better situation than the Leafs right now anyways.

I like Cammalleri, but Toronto isn't the best fit for him, I don't think. Gaborik might cost too much - as could Bouwmeester, who I'm not crazy about and would rather avoid overpaying, I think he's overrated. Although yes, the Leafs need more lefty defensemen.

Todd Bertuzzi
04-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Erik Karlsson is god. That is all.

Todd Bertuzzi
04-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Here's a list of FAs to be come July 1st...
http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2009-nhl-unrestricted-free-agents-by-position/

Todd Bertuzzi
04-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Would there be enough interest to conduct an NHL offseason mock. There would be a resigning period, followed by a FA period and then eventually followed by the draft(maybe only do 2 rounds) with trades as well. People could double up on teams if need be and we would need one commish who has extensive knowledge of the NHL who would have the final say on the terms of the signings and who signs where.

Edit: sorry for the triple post

Canadian_kid16
04-12-2009, 08:35 PM
I'd do an MHL mock off-season, it would be pretty cool.

I hate the Leafs for playing themselves out of Tavares contention, but the consolation prize won't be horrible. I wouldn't mind the Swedish guy with two names or Luke's brother

Sniper
04-13-2009, 12:03 AM
John Tavares wins at life.

Todd Bertuzzi
04-13-2009, 01:56 AM
I suppose the good thing about the Sens finishing 9th is that we got the last spot in the lottery and therefore we can only go up. Ha I will laugh if we end up with a higher pick than the Leafs tomorrow night.

PACKmanN
04-13-2009, 03:33 AM
Mike Grier, Alexei Semenov are the only important starters we need to keep.

vidae
04-13-2009, 04:16 AM
Here is to hoping Calgary resigns Cammalleri.

PACKmanN
04-13-2009, 04:28 AM
btw, if we can't get Grier cheap then I hope we get Samuel Pahlsson

Wootylicous
04-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Matt Duchene is gonna be a star. I love him.

TimD
04-13-2009, 11:37 AM
with franzen signed we just need to worry about hossa. detroit could have a 09/10 roster that is a lot different than this seasons.

The_Dude
04-13-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm not a huge hocley fan, but i think that the Wild need to sign the Sedin boys....

TimD
04-13-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm not a huge hocley fan, but i think that the Wild need to sign the Sedin boys....

i don't know how well they would work for your team. the wild play very defensively and already have a bunch of small fast guys up front.

Geo
04-13-2009, 12:22 PM
I wonder if Lemaire stepping down doesn't actually help the Wild's chances of re-signing Gaborik. He wasn't going to come back with Lemaire there, but then again his leaving might not mean anything if the team doesn't change much.

Job
04-13-2009, 12:51 PM
It will surely help, but my guess is he'll prefer to sign with an offensive team, where he could finally showcase all of his immense talent.

TimD
04-13-2009, 01:15 PM
It will surely help, but my guess is he'll prefer to sign with an offensive team, where he could finally showcase all of his immense talent.

hossa should call gaborik and convince him to take a ridiculously low contract to come to detroit :D

i can dream.

Hines
04-13-2009, 03:43 PM
I hope the Pens resign Guerin, and either sign Kovalev back, and/or Cammalleri as free agents. I would resign Sykora, but he has to prove to not be so hot and cold.

I want Zack Kassian in a Penguin uniform at the draft.

P-L
04-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Detroit will probably squeeze Hossa in under the cap and ignore their goaltending issues, like history suggests.

Todd Bertuzzi
04-13-2009, 04:01 PM
I wonder if Lemaire stepping down doesn't actually help the Wild's chances of re-signing Gaborik. He wasn't going to come back with Lemaire there, but then again his leaving might not mean anything if the team doesn't change much.

I wondered the same thing, but if he turned down a contract that was reportedly 8 years 80M total I doubt he's coming back. It'll be like the Hossa situation last year where he takes less to have a shot at the cup.

JHG722
04-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Hopefully Matt Hobey Gilroy to the Flyers :)

slightlyaraiderfan
04-13-2009, 05:07 PM
If the Kings don't win the lottery, I would gladly take Duchene, Schenn, MSP or Kane.

Geo
04-13-2009, 06:00 PM
There's a rumor that LA will sign Gaborik, but haven't they implemented a strong defensively-responsible system themselves? Money talks though, I guess.

I mentioned this before, but I don't think the Sedins leave Vancouver. Again, I would be ecstatic if Toronto could sign them. They are a rare case where you can feel confident in spending major money because of their (1) production (2) consistency (3) guaranteed chemistry on your first line, given their unique situation/package deal. I don't think they're as soft as they used to be years ago either, although the rep probably still dogs them.

The good thing is that Burke and Nonis would know firsthand whether they should bring them to Toronto, if the opportunity can present itself. Again, I don't think they leave Vancouver.

Job
04-13-2009, 06:54 PM
I don't know about the Kings' system as I'm a habs fan and have a much more extensive knowledge of the Eastern conference, but I know for sure their front office has been mainly focusing on defense in their rebuilding attempt (the way it should be IMO) by collecting an impressive bunch of young studs in Jack Johnson, Colton Teubert, Drew Doughty and Thomas Hickey, to go along with Jonathan Bernier between the pipes. However, all of those D-man (except maybe for Teubert whom i don't know too much about) appear to me quite capable offensively and with guys like Dustin Brown, Anze Kopitar, Alex Frolov and Oscar Möller, a defense-first system doesn't seem to me like the logical choice for their personnel. Especially if their looking to add a player like Gaborik who's in my mind at the very least a top 10 offensive talent worldwide, maybe even top 5.

TimD
04-13-2009, 07:08 PM
Detroit will probably squeeze Hossa in under the cap and ignore their goaltending issues, like history suggests.

But hopefully Jimmy Howard is ready to come up. Or maybe even Daniel Larsson, who I think is going to be great

SuperMcGee
04-13-2009, 08:33 PM
But hopefully Jimmy Howard is ready to come up. Or maybe even Daniel Larsson, who I think is going to be great

You said that about Thomas McCollum. You broke my heart.

mcdlaxbonz13
04-13-2009, 09:40 PM
For the Pens i hope that they resign Rob Scuderi I think he may be one of the most underrated defensive players in the NHL. He currently is only making 725,000 which is a steal. I also feel like he will resign for cheap because he seems like the kind of guy that loves playing hockey and if he collects some money along the way well its an added bonus.

MaxV
04-13-2009, 09:52 PM
I hope the Pens resign Guerin, and either sign Kovalev back, and/or Cammalleri as free agents. I would resign Sykora, but he has to prove to not be so hot and cold.

I want Zack Kassian in a Penguin uniform at the draft.

Yeah, I agree with you. Whoever it is, Pens need 2 top 6 wingers in the off-season.

Also, maybe a veteran stay-at-home D-man, although I want to give Goligoski and Ben Lovejoy a shot.

Yes, Kassian and Andrei Kuchin in later rounds PLEASE.

Hines
04-13-2009, 10:00 PM
Yeah, I agree with you. Whoever it is, Pens need 2 top 6 wingers in the off-season.

Also, maybe a veteran stay-at-home D-man, although I want to give Goligoski and Ben Lovejoy a shot.

Yes, Kassian and Andrei Kuchin in later rounds PLEASE.

I think I read that Staal will get moved to the wing. But how many times have we heard that?

I want to try and give TK a shot on Malkin's line. He has played extremely well on the third line. I think his role should be expanded.

My main target is Kovalev. I think he would work great with Sid and/or Malkin. I would rather spend the money on Guerin and Kovy.

Lines of Kunitz-Sid-Kovalev....Staal-Malkin-Guerin would be great.

I liked what Goli did in limited action and would love to see him given a shot.

fischbowl
04-13-2009, 10:33 PM
I agree with Woot. If it wasn't 2009, Matt Duchene would be the 1st Overall Pick

Todd Bertuzzi
04-13-2009, 10:34 PM
I agree with Woot. If it wasn't 2009, Matt Duchene would be the 1st Overall Pick

No because then Taylor Hall would be the 1st overall pick ;)

fischbowl
04-13-2009, 10:44 PM
No because then Taylor Hall would be the 1st overall pick ;)

I should make an exception for '10 as well

holt_bruce81
04-14-2009, 12:02 AM
Blues will be around 10 million under the Cap I think, but I don't see them doing much. Maybe signing a decent backup goalie.

04-14-2009, 12:08 AM

Picking third overall would be like winning the lottery for Leafs fans! We have absolutely no shot at Hall next year though because Wilson always finds a way to get us to overachieve. We are expected to get MUCH younger, which should help things just a bit.

iBoldin
04-14-2009, 12:10 AM
Hopefully Matt Hobey Gilroy to the Flyers :)

Sorry, he's coming to Vancouver. It's science.

04-14-2009, 12:20 AM
Sorry, he's coming to Vancouver. It's science.

I like Burke's chances. BUT I love Burke's chance that much more on July 1st. HELLO Daniel and Henrik!

04-14-2009, 08:50 AM
Leafs are one of the teams not offering Gilroy a one-way contract. Forget it, I no longer like Burke's chances .. :(

Hines
04-14-2009, 09:09 AM
Leafs are one of the teams not offering Gilroy a one-way contract. Forget it, I no longer like Burke's chances .. :(

Who are the teams that are?

04-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Who are the teams that are?

More than a handful of teams are said to be serious contenders for his services, of those teams I have no idea which are bold enough to offer him the one-way deal he's been looking for all along. Not bad for a former walk-on at BU four years ago.

Leafs signed 24-year-old free agent goaltender Jonas Gustavsson of the Swedish Elite League. He led his team to the championship this season. Good compensation for missing out on Thiessen, I guess.

Hines
04-14-2009, 09:44 AM
Sorry for taking Thiessen. ;).

I wouldn't mind Gilroy. He probably could make the team next year becase we lose some defensemen to free agency.

Bills2083
04-14-2009, 10:15 AM
The Sabres need a complete overhaul from top to bottom.

our current free agents...
-Dominic Moore
-Maxim Afinogenov
-Andrew Peters
-Jaroslav Spacek
-Teppo Numminen
-Mikael Tellqvist

That leaves our lineup looking like this...

MacArthur - Connolly - Pominville
Vanek - Roy - Stafford
Mair - ______ - ______
Hecht - Gaustad - Kaleta

Tallinder - Lydman
Butler - Rivet
_______ - Spacek

Miller
Lalime

I'd like to see Tallinder and Hecht moved. Where, I don't know, but Tallinder is not that good of a defenseman, and can be a liability to this team IMO. Hecht is much too soft and doesn't produce

I'd let Max, Teppo, and Peters walk. Peters is worthless - he's not even that great of a fighter. Teppo might retire, and Max and Ruff don't seem to like each other.

Resign Tellqvist, Spacek, and Moore. Moore shouldn't make that much more due to his lack of production with the Sabres last year. Spacek improved as the year went on, and wants to be here. I thought Tellqvist played pretty well last year.

That leaves us with

Vanek - Roy - Stafford
Mair - Moore - ______
_____ - Gaustad - Kaleta

______ - Lydman
Butler - Rivet
_______ - Spacek

Miller
Lalime
Tellqvist

I'm assuming Tim Kennedy will get a role on this team, whether it be the 3rd/4th line. Maybe he can be paired with Mair and Moore.

This should give us the ability to make some nice signings in free agency and/or a few big trades.

Geo
04-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Leafs signed 24-year-old free agent goaltender Jonas Gustavsson of the Swedish Elite League. He led his team to the championship this season. Good compensation for missing out on Thiessen, I guess.
They've done it already? I thought they had to wait until after the World Hockey Championship, maybe. Something about his signing a contract now would make him ineligible.

I definitely hope you are right, 619. Gustavsson is the guy I want.

04-14-2009, 10:35 AM
They've done it already? I thought they had to wait until after the World Hockey Championship, maybe. Something about his signing a contract now would make him ineligible.

I definitely hope you are right, 619. Gustavsson is the guy I want.

Whoops, I may have jumped the gun there haha.

I just saw this too ...

The 6-foot-3 Gustavsson won't be eligible to sign until his duty with the Swedish national team is complete following the worlds.

According to Gilroy, the Leafs are on his short list and that he's expecting a decision some time early this week. That's a positive sign and things have been going well with the representatives of both players, apparently. I'd be ecstatic if we were able to sign even just one of those guys. I <3 Burke.

Geo
04-14-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm not too concerned with Gillroy. If the Leafs sign him, that's great. If not, best of luck to him.

But I think it's more important to sign the entry level contract guys in Bozak, Gustavsson, Hanson.

Geo
04-14-2009, 11:00 AM
Btw, I echo their earlier love for Matt Duchene. If the Leafs trade up, I hope it's for him or Brayden Schenn. But here's hoping the Leafs can finally get some luck on their side and win the lottery, so a trade up wouldn't be necessary.

Not that I don't like Tavares or wouldn't draft him first overall. His skating does scare me just a bit, but he's an exceptional talent. His hands are elite. But the cost of trading up for him is just too much, even if it were possible. The Islanders can have Tavares, although they actually need Hedman from a hockey perspective. Tavares means more from a business perspective though.

I'll be fine if the Leafs stay put though, especially if the doctors give Jared Cowen a green light because he could be a steal, or even if they trade down. There are guys past the 7th pick that I've liked what I've read about, including Schroeder, Kassian, Kulikov, and Josefson.

It's probably likely that Burke won't stay put, don't you think?

SuperMcGee
04-14-2009, 01:32 PM
The Sabres need a complete overhaul from top to bottom.

our current free agents...
-Dominic Moore
-Maxim Afinogenov
-Andrew Peters
-Jaroslav Spacek
-Teppo Numminen
-Mikael Tellqvist

That leaves our lineup looking like this...

Vanek - Roy - Stafford
Mair - ______ - ______
Hecht - Gaustad - Kaleta

Tallinder - Lydman
Butler - Rivet
_______ - Spacek

Miller
Lalime

I'd like to see Tallinder and Hecht moved. Where, I don't know, but Tallinder is not that good of a defenseman, and can be a liability to this team IMO. Hecht is much too soft and doesn't produce

I'd let Max, Teppo, and Peters walk. Peters is worthless - he's not even that great of a fighter. Teppo might retire, and Max and Ruff don't seem to like each other.

Resign Tellqvist, Spacek, and Moore. Moore shouldn't make that much more due to his lack of production with the Sabres last year. Spacek improved as the year went on, and wants to be here. I thought Tellqvist played pretty well last year.

That leaves us with

Vanek - Roy - Stafford
Mair - Moore - ______
_____ - Gaustad - Kaleta

______ - Lydman
Butler - Rivet
_______ - Spacek

Miller
Lalime
Tellqvist

I'm assuming Tim Kennedy will get a role on this team, whether it be the 3rd/4th line. Maybe he can be paired with Mair and Moore.

This should give us the ability to make some nice signings in free agency and/or a few big trades.

First of all, I disagree very much about Tallinder. I like how he played the second half of the year, he's good on the PK, and can keep offensive play going while not really being an offensive defenseman.

Hecht is overpaid and had a really bad year. His defensive game was strong late in the year but he didn't do much. We could do without him.

We won't keep both Lalime and Tellqvist. Lalime is under contract and we'll probably leave it at that. Tellqvist is better, though.

I don't know about Moore. We have too much money tied up in forwards. I still like him but it will be a task just to get Stafford and MacArthur contracts. Kaleta will easily re-sign.

Spacek I hope is a priority, he's our only offense from the blueline and only big shot with Kotalik gone. Even with Teppo done, Paetsch is still a reserve and we have young guys just about ready to make a move, but letting Spacek go is an unfavorable way to change the defensive core.

Sekera is a RFA but should be back, you just kind of left him out of the picture.

YOU COMPLETELY LEFT OUT DAN PAILLE!!!!

I hope Ellis is back as a role player. I loved Ellis this year. As much as I'd like to see more of Gerbe and Kennedy, I want this guy back and getting time.

I'd like to have Afinogenov, but it's common knowledge that he won't be back.

fischbowl
04-14-2009, 01:38 PM

Come on Bills, you're better than that....... :P

Todd Bertuzzi
04-14-2009, 06:05 PM
This U-18 between Canada and Sweden is great. I now want Ottawa to draft Oliver Ekman-Larsson in the 1st to play along side Erik Karlsson. That pairing would be so full of win.

Wootylicous
04-14-2009, 06:31 PM
I want that damn stache back. Erik Karlsson needs it.

Todd Bertuzzi
04-14-2009, 06:34 PM
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/7589/27486858uu2.jpg
haha

Wootylicous
04-14-2009, 06:37 PM
btw get out of Grady Sizemore's room! He is mine!

Geo
04-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Draft lottery is on now.

Good luck, Leafs!

Hines
04-14-2009, 07:02 PM
Draft lottery is on now.

Good luck, Leafs!

Really? Mine isn't on for another hour.

Geo
04-14-2009, 07:02 PM
Check Versus.

Or here is an online stream:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/bartv

Todd Bertuzzi
04-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Prediction: Ottawa ends up with a higher pick than the Leafs:)

Eaglez.Fan
04-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Prediction: Ottawa ends up with a higher pick than the Leafs:)

Don't we only have like a 2% chance at moving up?

Canadian_kid16
04-14-2009, 07:10 PM
can only one team move up? I'm a little confused as to what the process is, I've never really followed the lottery before

Geo
04-14-2009, 07:11 PM
The winner of the lottery can only move up 4 spots.

So only the bottom 5 teams have a shot at the 1st overall pick.

Todd Bertuzzi
04-14-2009, 07:11 PM
I thought any team could move up a maximum of 4 spots, just the lower you finish the less chance you have of getting a higher pick.

Edit: I'm so excited.

Geo
04-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Here are the odds of winning the lottery:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=7027

PS. Me too, TB!

I'm just hoping the 8th and 7th overall picks come and the Leafs aren't there, that's a dead giveaway they win the 3rd overall pick. Come on, lady luck/NHL league office ...

Eaglez.Fan
04-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Kings at 5

Todd Bertuzzi
04-14-2009, 07:19 PM
5. Los Angeles

Todd Bertuzzi
04-14-2009, 07:19 PM
4. Atlanta
3.Colorado

Eaglez.Fan
04-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Islanders, no surprise.

04-14-2009, 07:20 PM
So Tavares to NYI and Hedman to TB ... interesting ..

Geo
04-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Things ended up as they were coming in, oh well. Congrats to the Islanders.

Canadian_kid16
well that sucked...

Todd Bertuzzi
Things ended up as they were coming in, oh well. Congrats to the Islanders.

That's 3 years in a row. I want some changes! lol

Sniper
04-14-2009, 07:22 PM
Poor Tavares...

I bet you Bettman forces them to trade it to the Leafs.

Todd Bertuzzi
04-14-2009, 07:23 PM
A part of Tavares just died inside and Hedman looks relieved lol.

HChu
04-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Stamkos and Hedman in a few years (along with all the other insane offensive pieces they're bound to have gotten by then) will make for a fun SE Division.

04-14-2009, 07:31 PM
Showcasing Tavares in a prime time division for hopefully a long time to come I think will be great for the league. He's an exceptional talent, closest to the Crosby / Ovie talent level as we've since imho. Tavares v Crosby and Ovie v Hedman will be some nice storylines to follow once all players are in the prime of their careers in those divisions.

SuperMcGee
04-14-2009, 07:36 PM
That's 3 years in a row. I want some changes! lol

Chicago jumped as much as possible to get Kane 2 years ago.

Good for the Islanders. Hate the management but I loooove Tavares - Okposo

Bills2083
04-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Spacek go is an unfavorable way to change the defensive core.

Sekera is a RFA but should be back, you just kind of left him out of the picture.

I hope Ellis is back as a role player. I loved Ellis this year. As much as I'd like to see more of Gerbe and Kennedy, I want this guy back and getting time.

I'd like to have Afinogenov, but it's common knowledge that he won't be back.

yeah, I wasn't really using my knowledge when writing down the players on the depth chart. I was just looking at the Sabres website, assuming it had all the players (the reason why Paille/Sekera weren't on my depth chart was because they weren't on the Sabres website.) And I didn't mention Sekera because I was just going by that list of UFAs, and I assumed that he was under contract.

One move that has to get done, though, that I think we'll both agree on is that Regier has to be fired.

Todd Bertuzzi
04-14-2009, 08:00 PM
Would there be enough interest to conduct an NHL offseason mock. There would be a resigning period, followed by a FA period and then eventually followed by the draft(maybe only do 2 rounds) with trades as well. People could double up on teams if need be and we would need one commish who has extensive knowledge of the NHL who would have the final say on the terms of the signings and who signs where.

bump

Anyone?

Wootylicous
04-14-2009, 08:12 PM
I would like that.

Sniper
04-14-2009, 08:12 PM
I'll do it.

Todd Bertuzzi
04-14-2009, 08:23 PM
We should set up a separate thread for it then.

Hines
04-14-2009, 09:28 PM
I would do it, but I do not know a lot about prospects to be that good in the mock.

Todd Bertuzzi
04-14-2009, 09:53 PM
I would do it, but I do not know a lot about prospects to be that good in the mock.

Well we most likely only do the first two rounds in the draft.

Canadian_kid16
04-14-2009, 09:54 PM
I'm game, even for two teams if need be.

Todd Bertuzzi
04-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Great nice to see a lot of interest, now we just need to find someone who wants to act as commish. I would do it, but I really want to take part in this as well lol.

fischbowl
04-14-2009, 10:52 PM
Todd, I'm down for the offseason

Jensen
04-14-2009, 11:23 PM
Great nice to see a lot of interest, now we just need to find someone who wants to act as commish. I would do it, but I really want to take part in this as well lol.

I could do it. I know there's a couple SJ fans on here, they could take the Sharks if they want.

Todd Bertuzzi
04-14-2009, 11:29 PM
I could do it. I know there's a couple SJ fans on here, they could take the Sharks if they want.

That'd definitely be much appreciated Jensen. Here I created a new thread so we didn't clutter this thread.

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32511

Hines
05-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Some moves I would love the Penguins to make this offseason would to get a winger for Sid and Geno, resign Scudari and Ziggy, and possibly trade Staal or sign a defensive defenseman.

Some ideas are signing Alex Kovalev and Jaromir Jagr. If we do, I could see lines like this:

Kunitz-Sid-Jagr
Kovalev-Geno-Caputi/Tangradi/TK
Kennedy-Staal-Cooke
Ziggy-Talbot-Adams/Godard

Gonch-Orpik
Letang-Eaton
Scudari-FA/Goli

If we fail to sign Jagr, which I think is likely, I would love to trade Staal for a winger. I would love to get Nathan Horton.

Todd Bertuzzi
05-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Horton plays center.

JHG722
05-08-2009, 03:05 PM
I thought Jagr was done?

MaxV
05-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Jagr played in the KHL last year.

tjsunstein
05-08-2009, 03:35 PM
We have to make sure we retain Madden, Rupp, Gionta, and Oduya unless we absolutely upgrade. Retain them and have a full healthy season of Rolston we should be back in business.

Hines
05-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Horton plays center.

Actually, he plays RW.

http://panthers.nhl.com/team/app?page=PlayerDetail&playerId=8470596&service=page

Hines
05-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Jagr played in the KHL last year.

I still hope he comes back to the NHL and the Pens for one last title run.

Geo
05-08-2009, 04:45 PM
It seems the talk of Burke trading up to get Tavares has died down, and if so, I'm glad. I don't think it's worth it.

(I feel differently about trading up for Hedman, Duchene, or Schenn however.)

TimD
05-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Has anyone ever been to the combine? I think I'm heading up to Toronto, along with a couple friends, to watch our friend Alex as well as see Tavares, Hedman, etc.

Hines
05-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Has anyone ever been to the combine? I think I'm heading up to Toronto, along with a couple friends, to watch our friend Alex as well as see Tavares, Hedman, etc.

What's your friends last name?

Geo
05-16-2009, 04:45 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=278750

Who should/will the New York Islanders take in the Entry Draft?

Bob McKenzie: Will take Victor Hedman. But I won't say they will take him at #1. By the time it's all said and done, the Islanders will have Hedman but not necessarily pick him first overall.
McKenzie isn't always right, but he doesn't make up ****. He's hearing this from someone, and for him to be rather adamant about it, says something.

MaxV
05-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Hedman is a stud. This won't be a bad pick.

BTW, speaking of NHL draft, Finnish forward Toni Rajala is a very interesting prospect.

He's small (5'-9" 170) but has SICK skills.

I saw him play at the U18 World Championship and came away very impressed. He scored 19 points in 6 games at that tournament.

05-16-2009, 05:26 PM
That's why, at first, it made sense the Leafs deal up to the #2 slot where they could eventually work themselves up to the top pick to land who they presumably have eyed for years now, in Tavares. It all aligns itself perfectly with these 'rumblings' of the Isles interest in Hedman. You have to really wonder how adamant Burke is with not dealing Schenn before it’d be fair to further speculate. One thing we know about Burke is that he stands by his players, so for him to come out so blatantly in the media would probably mean it is more than likely not a bluff on his part. He's never been one to go back on his word. I still find the whole Tavares - Hedman debate rather perplexing, though.

Geo
05-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Agreed, I wouldn't find Hedman a surprising pick either, the Isles need a defensive prospect like him more. But we'll see if the hockey perspective can win out versus the business perspective, as Tavares likely sells more tickets.

Honestly I haven't seen Tavares in a game situation myself, hard to keep up with the prospects visually here (although hopefully the NHL Network can help address that in the future). Highlights on TSN and Youtube are obviously helpful, but highlights can make anyone look good and all.

Anyway, my impression (small as it is) is that Tavares isn't on the Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin level. His hands are elite, but I'm a little concerned with his skating, speed, and defense. I read somewhere a pro comparison of Brett Hull for Tavares, which seemed like the best one. I'm not as big on the guy as you are, 619, but again, I've seen practically nothing on the guy.

Don't me wrong though, I'd love if the Leafs could get him (especially if they could keep Schenn, Kulemin, and Tlusty in doing so). The Leafs don't have a single 40-goal scoring prospect in the organization. It'd be nicer to get a super skilled captain-type, a Joe Sakic, but beggars can't be choosers and Rome wasn't built in a day. Tavares would be a major building block.

I didn't think the Leafs had much of a realistic chance at Tavares (or Duchene instead?), but now I do. Starting to think a trade with Tampa Bay to #2 just might be possible, and if NYI is indeed set on Hedman, the Top 2 will work itself out.

I would not trade Schenn though. I know defensive defensemen aren't supposed to be as valuable as a goal scorer, but I just love having the guy on the team and he's proven.

TimD
05-16-2009, 06:37 PM
My buddy Velischek has been in talks with the Islanders and i think he said the Panthers. He's going to Providence (as an 18 yr old defenseman) and he says his goal is to play at least 2-3 years then sign with the team that drafts him. He's ranked the 63rd best skate in NA so I guess that projects to a 3rd to 5th round pick.

Todd Bertuzzi
05-18-2009, 12:52 PM
Roy offered Avs coaching job.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=423097

Geo
05-21-2009, 05:09 PM
It sounds like impending free agent Francois Beachemin's top two choices are Montreal and Anaheim. Bummer, I am nonetheless hoping Burke will sign him this summer.

Him and maybe fellow former Ducks (now Blackhawks) player Sammy Pahlsson.

TimD
05-21-2009, 05:54 PM
What's your friends last name?

Velischek.

We decided not to go. We wouldn't have been able to watch him actually lift so there's no point in going.

critesy
05-21-2009, 06:11 PM
my buddy matt streuby might get drafted this year. played for the regina pats. hearing talks that teams are looking at earliest the 3rd round. pretty exciting.

edit, think a lesser eberle but more stocky.

critesy
05-21-2009, 06:12 PM
It sounds like impending free agent Francois Beachemin's top two choices are Montreal and Anaheim. Bummer, I am nonetheless hoping Burke will sign him this summer.

most likely goes to montreal im guessing.

the decider13
05-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Any idea who the Avs or most likely to get? I would love for them to return to form. I don't know much about this years crop of players, just curious if this is a good class to have the #3 pick in.

slightlyaraiderfan
05-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Any idea who the Avs or most likely to get? I would love for them to return to form. I don't know much about this years crop of players, just curious if this is a good class to have the #3 pick in.
Matt Duchene....he's really good.

Hines
05-21-2009, 07:33 PM

I signed Beachemin in my NHL dynasty. He has been a very good second pairing defenseman.

Jensen
05-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Early attempt at a mock draft:

1. New York Islanders - John Tavares, C, Canada
2. Tampa Bay Lightning - Victor Hedman, D, Sweden
3. Colorado Avalanche - Matt Duchene, C, Canada
4. Atlanta Thrasers - Brayden Schenn, C, Canada
5. Los Angeles Kings - Magnus Svensson-Paajarvi, W, Sweden
6. Phoenix Coyotes - Jared Cowen, D, Canada
7. Toronto Maple Leafs - Evander Kane, C, Canada
8. Dallas Stars - Nazem Kadri, C, Canada
9. Ottawa Senators - Dmitry Kulikov, D, Russia
10. Edmonton Oilers - Jordan Schroeder, W, United States
11. Nashville Predators - Scott Glennie, W, Canada
12. Minnesota Wild - Jacob Josefson, C, Sweden
13. Buffalo Sabres - Ryan Ellis, D, Canada
14. Florida Panthers - Oliver Ekman-Larsson, D, Sweden
15. Anaheim Ducks - Zack Kassian, W, Canada
16. Columbus Blue Jackets - Peter Holland, C, Canada
17. St. Louis Blues - Simon Despres, D, Canada
18. Montreal Canadiens - Louis Leblanc, C, Canada
19. New York Rangers - John Moore, D, United States
20. Phoenix Coyotes (f/CGY) - Landon Ferraro, C, Canada
21. Philadelphia Flyers - David Rundblad, D, Sweden
22. Vancouver Canucks - Drew Shore, W, United States
23. New Jersey Devils - Jeremy Morin, C, United States
24. Washington Capitals - Calvin de Haan, D, Canada
25. Boston Bruins - Richard Panik, C, Slovakia
26. New York Islanders (f/SJ) - Stefan Elliot, D, Canada
27. Carolina Hurricanes - Carter Ashton, W, Canada
28. Chicago Blackhawks - Jordan Caron, C, Canada
29. Pittsburgh Penguins - Kyle Palmieri, C, United States
30. Detroit Red Wings - Chris Kreider, C, United States

Hines
05-21-2009, 09:38 PM
I love the Penguins pick. If Kane fell to 7, I believe that will be a steal. He is so good.

HChu
05-21-2009, 09:45 PM
I like Haan, but I really like what I've seen from Caron in the Memorial Cup. He seems like a really good power forward. Oh, Stefan Elliot plays in the WHL so McPhee will be picking him because he scores a lot. GMGM 101. Ugh.

Todd Bertuzzi
05-21-2009, 10:03 PM
quick mock

1. New York Islanders - John Tavares, C, Canada
2. Tampa Bay Lightning - Victor Hedman, D, Sweden
3. Colorado Avalanche - Matt Duchene, C, Canada
4. Atlanta Thrasers - Magnus Svensson-Paajarvi, W, Sweden
5. Los Angeles Kings - Evander Kane, C, Canada
6. Phoenix Coyotes - Jared Cowen, D, Canada
7. Toronto Maple Leafs - Brayden Schenn, C, Canada
8. Dallas Stars - Ryan Ellis, D, Canada
9. Ottawa Senators - Oliver Ekman-Larsson, D, Sweden
10. Edmonton Oilers - Dmitri Kulikov, D, Russia
11. Nashville Predators - Nazem Kadri, C, Canada
12. Minnesota Wild - Jordan Schroeder, W, United States
13. Buffalo Sabres - Simon Despres, D, Canada
14. Florida Panthers - Scott Glennie, W, Canada
15. Anaheim Ducks - John Moore, D, United States
16. Columbus Blue Jackets - Jacob Josefson, C, Sweden
17. St. Louis Blues - Zack Kassian, W, Canada
18. Montreal Canadiens - Louis Leblanc, C, Canada
19. New York Rangers - Peter Holland, C, Canada
20. Phoenix Coyotes (f/CGY) - David Rundblad, D, Sweden
21. Philadelphia Flyers - Calvin de Haan, D, Canada
22. Vancouver Canucks - Jeremy Morin, C, United States
23. New Jersey Devils - Landon Ferraro, C, Canada
24. Washington Capitals - Nick Leddy, D, United States
25. Boston Bruins - Carter Ashton, W, Canada
26. New York Islanders (f/SJ) - Stefan Elliot, D, Canada
27. Carolina Hurricanes - Dylan Olsen, D, Canada
28. Chicago Blackhawks -Olivier Roy, G, Canada
29. Pittsburgh Penguins - Drew Shore, W, United States
30. Detroit Red Wings - Chris Kreider, W, United States

the decider13
05-21-2009, 10:14 PM
Matt Duchene....he's really good.

Thank you, the only players I really knew from the draft were Hedman and Tavares. I can't see the Lightning passing on Hedman after drafting Stamkos, so it's looks like Duchene will drop right in to Colorado's lap.

And he gets to learn from Sakic, seems like a good situation.

MaxV
05-21-2009, 10:25 PM
Thank you, the only players I really knew from the draft were Hedman and Tavares. I can't see the Lightning passing on Hedman after drafting Stamkos, so it's looks like Duchene will drop right in to Colorado's lap.

And he gets to learn from Sakic, seems like a good situation.

Don't be surprised if Hedman isn't there.

I'm a hearing a lot of rumors that he is the top player on Islanders board.

Hines
05-21-2009, 10:28 PM
Tavares and Stamkos together would be ridiculous.

Sniper
05-21-2009, 10:29 PM

If Tavares drops to two, I'd be stunned to see the Leafs not make a move for him. I'd also mock the Islanders incessantly.

the decider13
05-21-2009, 10:31 PM

They would have to trade lecavalier, that would be three #1 quality centers on the same team. And a lot of money in one position.

SuperMcGee
05-21-2009, 10:39 PM
To Jensen's mock:

That would be the 4th year in a row that we went defense with our first pick. Myers seems like the only top pairing guy out the bunch, but we have some decent guys in the system. Sekera and Butler have already made the jump. Either we go really young really soon, or the logjam will grow with guys like Weber, Gragnani, Myers, and Brennan seemingly ready to come up within 1-2 years. None of those guys are really in Ellis' class, Myers excluded, and he has the hard shot that we are lacking. But we'll probably take what we can get from Brennan for that role, as unfulfilling as that may sound.
If we do want something better, I wouldn't hate it. Ellis can be a damn good player and he's quite different from the only other big impact defenseman that we have in the system. At 13, it's a good pick.
We need a player in the mold of what a lot of people expect Kassian to be, but I don't know about him that high.

Hines
05-21-2009, 10:43 PM
They would have to trade lecavalier, that would be three #1 quality centers on the same team. And a lot of money in one position.

Could move Stamkos or Tavares to wing.

Sniper
05-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Could move Stamkos or Tavares to wing.

Seems like a major waste. Although maybe they'd reduce their demands for Vinny to Montreal! Great success!

Hines
05-21-2009, 10:48 PM
I think St. Louis gets dealt before Vinny does IMO. I wished St. Louis didn't veto the trade to go to Pittsburgh.

Sniper
05-21-2009, 10:49 PM
I think St. Louis gets dealt before Vinny does IMO. I wished St. Louis didn't veto the trade to go to Pittsburgh.

One has nothing to do with the other. If the Lightning got Tavares, they'd have more of a need for MSL than Vinny.

Todd Bertuzzi
05-21-2009, 10:49 PM
I think they would look to move Lecavalier before St. Louis, but it will be hard given his contract.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
05-28-2009, 04:57 PM
Here is my mock for the 2009 draft.

1. Islanders - John Tavares, C, London Knights (OHL)
2. Lightning - Victor Hedman, D, MoDo (SEL)
3. Avalanche - Matt Duchene, C, Brampton (OHL)
4. Thrashers - Evander Kane, C, Vancouver (WHL)
5. Kings - Magnus Paarjarvi-Svensson, LW, Timra (SEL)
6. Coyotes - Jordan Schroeder, RW, Minnesota (WCHL)
7. Maple Leafs - Brayden Schenn, C, Brandon (WHL)
8. Stars - Jared Cowan, D, Spokane (WHL)
9. Senators - Dmitri Kulikov, D, Drummondville (QMJHL)
10. Oilers - Ryan Ellis, D, Windsor (OHL)
11. Predators - Scott Glennie, C, Brandon (WHL)
12. Wild - Zack Kassian, RW, Peterborough (OHL)
13. Sabres - John Moore, D, Chicago (USHL)
14. Panthers - Nazem Kadri, C, London (OHL)
15. Ducks - Oliver Eckman-Larsson, D, Leksand (SAL)
16. Blue Jackets - Simon Despres, D, Saint John (QMJHL)
17. Blues - Jacob Josefson, C, Djurgarden (SEL)
18. Canadiens - Louis Leblanc, RW, Omaha (USHL)
19. Rangers - Chris Kreider, C, Phillips Andover Academy (USHS)
20. Flames - David Rundblad, D, Skelleftea (SEL)
21. Flyers - Tim Erixon, D, Skelleftea (SEL)
22. Canucks - Calvin de Haan, D, Oshawa (OHL)
23. Devils - Peter Holland, C, Guelph (OHL)
24. Capitals - Jeremy Morin, C, U-17 (USNTDP)
25. Bruins - Carter Ashton, RW, Lethbridge (WHL)
26. Islanders - Landon Ferraro, F, Red Deer (WHL)
27. Hurricanes - Jordan Caron, C, Rimouski (QMJHL)
28. Blackhawks - Seth Hegleson, D, Sioux City (USHL)
29. Penguins - Toni Rajala, LW, Ilves (SM-Liiga)
30. Red Wings - Charles-Oliver Roussel, D, Shawinigan (QMJHL)

Jensen
05-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Matt Duchene is not a defenseman.

I don't see Dallas going with another defense-first defenseman in Cowan. They need more offensive support from the blue-line. Niskanen, Robidas, etc. are fine defensively. What they need (if they go the d-man route) is somebody to take over Zubov's offensive spot at the point for the PP.

I love Zack Kassian, but I don't think he will go that high in the draft. He had a pretty disappointing playoffs which will probably drop his stock to around the 15-20 range.

I don't think the Ducks or Flames will go D in the 1st this year. I also highly doubt that the Isles take 2 forwards in the 1st round as it has been heavily rumored they are interested in Hedman. They need as much help on defense as they need on offense.

I think you have Tim Erixon too high. IMO, he is a fringe 1st rounder right now. That doesn't mean he won't move up teams' draft boards, but right now I see him going in the 5-10 range in the 2nd round. If he goes in the 1st, he would be one of my picks to bust.

If the Pens get Rajala at 29 then it will be a steal. He was projected to be a top 5 pick last year but his stock dropped this year because his level of play dropped. He has really good hands.

Also, whoever takes Richard Panik in the 2nd will be getting a steal. He has a sick shot and is pretty quick too.

MaxV
05-28-2009, 06:17 PM
Rajala is from Finland, not Sweden.

I agree he's very talented, but he's also very small. He's a gamble in the 1st round.

Still, I'm very much on a "Rajala to Pens" bandwagon. Pens can afford to take a chance like that.

Jensen
05-28-2009, 06:20 PM
Rajala is from Finland, not Sweden.

I agree he's very talented, but he's also very small. He's a gamble in the 1st round.

Still, I'm very much on a "Rajala to Pens" bandwagon. Pens can afford to take a chance like that.

Yeah, my bad there.

The same thing was said about Patrick Kane (small, not a gamble in the 1st round). He's got the talent to be able to succeed in the NHL, I think the problem is that he doesn't put in the necessary effort each and every game.

Todd Bertuzzi
05-28-2009, 07:47 PM
I don't think the Ducks or Flames will go D in the 1st this year. I also highly doubt that the Isles take 2 forwards in the 1st round as it has been heavily rumored they are interested in Hedman. They need as much help on defense as they need on offense.

Flames don't have a 1st. I would hope Ottawa would take Ekman-Larsson over Kulikov. Schroeder is also a little high. I would probably give Phoenix Cowen there since their blue line is old and not that great to begin with. They already have a lot of high draft picks invested in forwards like Mueller, Turris and Boedker.

Wootylicous
05-28-2009, 07:58 PM
If rundblad or erixon is there at our pick I don't ******* care if we have enough D I want them badly or I'm gonna kill somebody.

Geo
05-28-2009, 08:26 PM
Even though Cowen could be on par with Luke Schenn as a prospect and very well might have been the #3 prospect if not for his knee injury, the knee does scare me off some. But if he checks out medically, a team could be getting a potential steal if he goes a bit later.

But I think, at this moment, I would say that my Top 3 defensemen are likely Victor Hedman, Oliver Eckman-Larsson, and Dmitri Kulikov though. Maybe not necessarily in that order, but I really like what I've read on those guys and think all three are Top 10 guys. Serious talent. If the Leafs draft one of them, I certainly wouldn't be displeased.

Although I am now hoping for the Leafs to trade up and get Tavares, shrug. Guess I couldn't help myself, and am probably setting myself up for major disappointment. It would require the Isles wanting Hedman and Tampa and Toronto to get a trade done.

That said, I would be pleased as punch if the Leafs can get Brayden Schenn like devinhester has in his mock. Even better if they could stand pat, but I'm thinking they have to trade up with LA to do it.

princefielder28
05-28-2009, 08:51 PM
I haven't read through the entire thread, but as someone who goes to school in Minnesota I want to hear what you guys think Marian Gaborik will do and whether or not he'll be a member of the Wild next year.

Todd Bertuzzi
05-28-2009, 08:55 PM
I haven't read through the entire thread, but as someone who goes to school in Minnesota I want to hear what you guys think Marian Gaborik will do and whether or not he'll be a member of the Wild next year.

I thought Gaborik was going to got the route Hossa went last year and take less money in order to win since he turned down the big contract the Wild offered him, but then I heard rumors he is very interested in LA so I have no clue what his plans are any more. I would still be surprised to see him back in Minnesota next year.

Geo
05-28-2009, 08:55 PM
Like TB, I think I heard that there's a good chance he will end up in Los Angeles.

The Kings have enough young talent, it sounds like they are instead gunning for at least one high quality 1st line forward this offseason.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
05-28-2009, 08:59 PM
I saw Gaborik has interest from the Kings and Rangers. How will his injury history affect his next contract? Will he get a 2-3 year deal or a 5-6 year deal?

princefielder28
05-28-2009, 09:00 PM
I thought Gaborik was going to got the route Hossa went last year and take less money in order to win since he turned down the big contract the Wild offered him, but then I heard rumors he is very interested in LA so I have no clue what his plans are any more. I would still be surprised to see him back in Minnesota next year.

Like TB, I think I heard that there's a good chance he will end up in Los Angeles.

The Kings have enough young talent, it sounds like they are instead gunning for at least one high quality 1st line forward this offseason.

Guys, I appreciate the answers/help.

Would Gaborik make the Kings legit contenders for a playoff spot? I know they have the youngster Quick in net, but is there enough talent defensively to help him out and compete? I can't say I know too much about the Kings.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
05-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Add Gaborik to the Kings along with Stamkos, Kopitar, Frolov, Brown, Doughty, Hickey, Moeller, Johnson, and Quick. If they gel enough, they could make a run at the 7 or 8 seed. I think they need another year before they are ready though.

Todd Bertuzzi
05-28-2009, 09:07 PM
The Kings are definitely headed in the right direction. I'm not sure if they're ready for the playoffs just yet, but they do have a great young team. If Bernier can crack the roster and come in and play anything like Mason did this year for the Jackets I think they would definitely be in the hunt. I just don't see them making it as long as Quick is in net, not next year at least. Getting top tier forward like Gaborik who would help out young guys like Frolov and Kopitar would be a big step towards the playoffs for them.

Geo
05-28-2009, 09:13 PM
Gaborik is an unrestricted free agent, TB. Unless you mean the Wild trade his rights before July 1st.

I saw Gaborik has interest from the Kings and Rangers. How will his injury history affect his next contract? Will he get a 2-3 year deal or a 5-6 year deal?
The Rangers will be able to afford him? Not that I now their exact cap figures, but I wouldn't think so.

Which reminds me, Dreger reported a trade offer from the Rangers to the Leafs that was godawful bad. I just wonder if Burke laughed first or went straight to swearing.

Jensen
05-28-2009, 09:22 PM
The Rangers will be able to afford him? Not that I now their exact cap figures, but I wouldn't think so.

Which reminds me, Dreger reported a trade offer from the Rangers to the Leafs that was godawful bad. I just wonder if Burke laughed first or went straight to swearing.

Rangers currently only have 4 forwards under contract for next year. They have 6 RFA's and 3 UFA's. Depending on what the cap is next year, they will have somewhere from 12-14 mil. to spend.

Todd Bertuzzi
05-28-2009, 09:34 PM
Gaborik is an unrestricted free agent, TB. Unless you mean the Wild trade his rights before July 1st.

Yeah sorry I meant that would be the case if they went after another top tier forward like Lecavalier.

the decider13
05-28-2009, 09:35 PM
After doing some more research, a player I really like is Magnus Paarjarvi-Svensson. Just seems like he could be a major impact player. Like him better than Evander Kane, almost as much as Duchene.

slightlyaraiderfan
05-28-2009, 10:46 PM
holy ****, kings talk going on in here. i don't know if the Kings will go after Gabby. sure, he's amazing on the ice, i'd love to have his offense...but Dean-o seems to go after character guys, on and off the ice. also, he needs to stop getting injured.

i'm more worried about resigning Frolov.

Add Gaborik to the Kings along with Stamkos, Kopitar, Frolov, Brown, Doughty, Hickey, Moeller, Johnson, and Quick. If they gel enough, they could make a run at the 7 or 8 seed. I think they need another year before they are ready though.
no stamkos on the kings :P but yea, in march we were a few points from the 8th seed, then we just went into a downward spiral. i'm wondering if LaBarbara wouldn't have ****** up all those games in the beginning, we might have had a better chance.

Xiomera
05-28-2009, 10:51 PM
How did I not see this thread until now?

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
05-28-2009, 10:51 PM
holy ****, kings talk going on in here. i don't know if the Kings will go after Gabby. sure, he's amazing on the ice, i'd love to have his offense...but Dean-o seems to go after character guys, on and off the ice. also, he needs to stop getting injured.

i'm more worried about resigning Frolov.

no stamkos on the kings :P but yea, in march we were a few points from the 8th seed, then we just went into a downward spiral. i'm wondering if LaBarbara wouldn't have ****** up all those games in the beginning, we might have had a better chance.

Sorry I had a brain relapse for a minute. Barry Melrose and Stamkos made me think Los Angeles instead of Tampa Bay.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
05-28-2009, 10:52 PM

Sniper resurrected it after I made a 2009 NHL Draft thread.

SuperMcGee
05-28-2009, 10:52 PM

Because it isn't the offseason for you.

scottyboy
05-28-2009, 10:54 PM
if we don't re-sign Madden, Gionta, and Oduya, I'll kill someone. I also wanna keep Rupp, but losing Holik hurts. ****, Gionta and Oduya are so key, and Madden's just such a good defending forward

Geo
05-28-2009, 11:53 PM
Yeah sorry I meant that would be the case if they went after another top tier forward like Lecavalier.
You're absolutely right about that though, and for those who aren't aware, it seems there is some buzz about the Kings potentially trading for Lecavalier. Which would be a great move for them imo, and him too I think (plus I don't think Tampa deserves him). Kopitar is probably better suited as a 2nd line center, which Vinny would provide. The Kings have the assets to potentially get it done, including the 5th overall pick in this year's Draft.

As for Gaborik, sure his history of deep tissue/groin injuries is near terrifying as a high premium free agent, but he's also an offensive machine. I think it would be a worthwhile signing for the Kings if it happens.

the decider13
05-28-2009, 11:57 PM
You're absolutely right about that though, and for those who aren't aware, it seems there is some buzz about the Kings potentially trading for Lecavalier. Which would be a great move for them I think, and him too I think (plus I don't think Tampa deserves him). Kopitar is probably better suited as a 2nd line center, which Vinny would provide. The Kings have the assets to potentially get it done, including the 5th overall pick in this year's Draft.

As for Gaborik, sure his history of deep tissue/groin injuries is near terrifying as a high premium free agent, but he's also an offensive machine. I think it would be a worthwhile signing for the Kings if it happens.

So if that trade happens and the lightning have 2 and 5, what to they do? Hedman and MPS? Duchene and Cowen? Make a trade with one of the picks? Gives them lots of options.

Jensen
05-29-2009, 12:02 AM
So if that trade happens and the lightning have 2 and 5, what to they do? Hedman and MPS? Duchene and Cowen? Make a trade with one of the picks? Gives them lots of options.

If Tampa trades Vinny, which I think would be a stupid move on their part, and they get the #5 pick from LA, I think they go Tavares/Hedman and depending on which one they select (I'm assuming Hedman), then they either go MSP or Kane/Schenn. If they take Tavares though, they might trade down with say Toronto to #7 and take somebody like Cowen or Kulikov.

Geo
05-29-2009, 12:07 AM
That is interesting, decider.

IF Vinny is traded to LA, and also assuming Tavares is taken #1, do they still go with Hedman or try to immediately fill the Top 2 center void with the very talented Duchene?

I agree with Jensen, I think I would still go Hedman.

Now if Hedman were to go #1, that would eliminate the choice. Definitely offense first and then defense with the next pick, maybe even trading down with Toronto to pick up an extra 2nd round pick.

the decider13
05-29-2009, 12:10 AM
IMO best case scenario for them has to be Tavares falling to them and then getting the best defender on the board. They will still miss Vinny a great deal, but that would help.

Jensen
05-29-2009, 12:12 AM
IMO best case scenario for them has to be Tavares falling to them and then getting Cowen/Schenn. They will still miss Vinny a great deal, but that would help.

They wouldn't be stupid enough to take two forwards when they had 17? different defensemen play for them last season. Or at least I hope so. If they do luck out and get Tavares, they trade down from #5 to the 7-10 area and pick up an extra pick or prospect, or perhaps both. Then they take somebody like Cowen or Kulikov.

the decider13
05-29-2009, 12:14 AM
They wouldn't be stupid enough to take two forwards when they had 17? different defensemen play for them last season. Or at least I hope so. If they do luck out and get Tavares, they trade down from #5 to the 7-10 area and pick up an extra pick or prospect, or perhaps both. Then they take somebody like Cowen or Kulikov.

My bad, got confused. Was thinking about Luke Schenn lol.

Hines
05-29-2009, 10:30 AM
I would really, really want Gaborik on the Pens, but he is too often injured and he might ask for a helluva lot of money. Some team will take that risk and could get a very nice reward.

EdReedUnstoppable
05-29-2009, 11:25 AM
Really hoping the Caps make a serious run at Mike Cammalleri to be a top 2 Center for them. He and Boudreau have history from Manchester, and when we hired Boudreau I remember seeing a MC quote that said he would love to play for Bruce again at some point. Since I want them to do it, it's not gonna happen.

As for our need at RW, I'm really hoping for 1 of the following Chad LaRose/Bill Guerin/Brian Gionta.

And for our huge need on D, I'd like to see us bring in any combo of 2 of the following players......Jay Bouwmeester/Derek Morris/Christian Backman/Mike Komisarek/Francis Bouillon/Marc-Andre Bergeron/Francois Beauchemin/Kurtis Foster/Dennis Seidenberg.

Sniper
05-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Someone's going to overpay badly for Mike Komisarek, and as long as it's not the Habs, I will laugh at them...a lot.

EdReedUnstoppable
05-29-2009, 11:36 AM
If I had to make a dream roster after FA for the Caps it would be.....

1st Line (LW/C/RW) = Ovechkin/Backstrom/Gionta
2nd Line (LW/C/RW) = Semin/Cammalleri/Laich
3rd Line (LW/C/RW) = Fleischmann/Nylander/Fehr
4th Line (LW/C/RW) = Bourque/Steckel/Bradley

1st D Pair = Green/Beauchemin
2nd D Pair = Alzner/Jurcina
3rd D Pair = Erskine/Poti

G (1/2) = Varlamov/Theodore

TimD
05-29-2009, 11:36 AM
I think Pronger to Washington would be really cool. And I hate Pronger. He would provide Green with a good stay at home partner.

EdReedUnstoppable
05-29-2009, 11:39 AM
I think Pronger to Washington would be really cool. And I hate Pronger. He would provide Green with a good stay at home partner.

The only problem is if we got Pronger, we would have no cap room to give Backstrom and Semin contract extensions or be able to sign other UFAs. In an absolute wet dream Pronger takes less to come here, but that aint happening.

EdReedUnstoppable
05-29-2009, 11:40 AM
And actually in an amendmant to my dream roster, in my dreams we're able to trade Nylander and Theodore in the offseason.

Hines
05-29-2009, 12:08 PM
I just hope the Pens keep Guerin, Scudari, Ziggy, and possibly Feds. Other than that, they can fill their needs with whoever. I am starting to think that Staal will get shopped at the draft to see what he can get.

Sniper
05-29-2009, 12:32 PM
I just hope the Pens keep Guerin, Scudari, Ziggy, and possibly Feds. Other than that, they can fill their needs with whoever. I am starting to think that Staal will get shopped at the draft to see what he can get.

Rumblings of a possible trade featuring Staal and Jack Johnson have been going around.

SuperMcGee
05-29-2009, 01:18 PM
Komisarek is going to most certainly be overpaid, but I think Beauchemin could end up as the worst blueline signing.

05-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Komisarek is going to most certainly be overpaid, but I think Beauchemin could end up as the worst blueline signing.

Possibly to Toronto, too. He'd follow Finger and Kubina as terrible FA signings on our blueline. ugh.

I see Komarisek no differently than I see Hal Gill, at what will soon be about twice the cost.

I feel bad for Caps fans, there's no way they can afford to buy out Nylander with that deal. They'll probably have to trade him some time during the season or buy him out after the year.

I'm also hearing talks, again, of Tavares slipping to the third pick. Stupid people.

Yes, I'm all over the place right now. Ha.

HChu
05-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Possibly to Toronto, too. He'd follow Finger and Kubina as terrible FA signings on our blueline. ugh.

I see Komarisek no differently than I see Hal Gill, at what will soon be about twice the cost.

I feel bad for Caps fans, there's no way they can afford to buy out Nylander with that deal. They'll probably have to trade him some time during the season or buy him out after the year.

I'm also hearing talks, again, of Tavares slipping to the third pick. Stupid people.

Yes, I'm all over the place right now. Ha.

Or Nylander could be cool and leave to Avangard Omsk.

Wootylicous
05-29-2009, 02:19 PM
Sooooo...there is a KHL draft...interesting.

EdReedUnstoppable
05-29-2009, 02:22 PM
At this point if Avangard is willing to take his salary and we get that freed up space.......DO IT!! Nylander just didn't work out the 2nd time around at all.

Geo
05-29-2009, 02:29 PM

I do not want Komisarek either. Especially at the $4M per or whatever, no thank you.

Also, let's just hope Tavares gets past the Islanders. Gives the Leafs a fighting chance.

05-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Sooooo...there is a KHL draft...interesting.

OMG what a headache that could end up being.

Todd Bertuzzi
05-29-2009, 02:38 PM
Rumblings of a possible trade featuring Staal and Jack Johnson have been going around.

That would be a great trade for both teams. It's a fair trade. Both players are former 3rd overall picks. Johnson would give Pittsburgh another good young defenseman to go along with Goligoski and Letang and since they already have Crosby and Malkin down the middle there's not really any room for Staal unless he moves to the wing. Staal gives LA a good 2nd line centre to play behind Kopitar and who is responsible in his own end and can play the PK. Plus Crosby and JJ know each other very well since they were roomies at Shattuck St. Mary's.

Also no one is going to trade for Nylander or Theodore. Nylander's days in the NHL are done imo. I say he either retires or goes to Europe.

Hines
05-29-2009, 04:14 PM

I heard that too. I think it was Frolov(sp) and JJ for Staal. I would rather have Dustin Brown, but I doubt that happens.

Wootylicous
05-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Hines...you want Dustin Brown for Staal. you crazy mofo.

SuperMcGee
05-29-2009, 04:23 PM
Where do you hear offers like that, Hines? Because that is just too funny.

Hines
05-29-2009, 04:26 PM
I am crazy, but I'll take JJ for Staal.

Wootylicous
05-29-2009, 04:31 PM
If you are making these offers out you obviously don't know anything about the value of players in the NHL. or you simply overrate your pens.

Hines
05-29-2009, 04:36 PM
LOL calm down. I just joke because it get's all your blood boiling.

Sniper
05-29-2009, 04:36 PM
I heard that too. I think it was Frolov(sp) and JJ for Staal. I would rather have Dustin Brown, but I doubt that happens.

I'd rather have Anze Kopitar. Doesn't mean it's realistic.

djp
05-29-2009, 05:14 PM
I'd rather have Anze Kopitar. Doesn't mean it's realistic.

I still have nightmares about passing on Kopitar for he who will go unnamed

Wootylicous
05-29-2009, 05:16 PM
Benoit Pouliot ? :D

Wootylicous
05-29-2009, 05:27 PM
I'm sorry I had to remember you this djp! :o

Todd Bertuzzi
05-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Ottawa passed up on Kopitar and Marc Staal for Brian Lee.

EdReedUnstoppable
05-29-2009, 08:58 PM
Also no one is going to trade for Nylander or Theodore. Nylander's days in the NHL are done imo. I say he either retires or goes to Europe.

Yes I know! I don't think Nylander walks away from $9 mil the next 2 years. we're stuck with him! As for Theodore it'll be ok to have him back in case Varly struggles out of the gate next year.

Xiomera
05-29-2009, 09:04 PM
Anyone wanna venture a guess to what happens to Jiri Hudler? He's an RFA and there won't be room to keep him if we retain Hossa.

Todd Bertuzzi
05-29-2009, 09:10 PM
Yes I know! I don't think Nylander walks away from $9 mil the next 2 years. we're stuck with him! As for Theodore it'll be ok to have him back in case Varly struggles out of the gate next year.

If I were the Caps I'd probably buy out the rest of Nylander's contract. It's useless to pay a guy that much to sit in the press box lol.

EdReedUnstoppable
05-29-2009, 09:45 PM
If I were the Caps I'd probably buy out the rest of Nylander's contract. It's useless to pay a guy that much to sit in the press box lol.

They've said they're not gonna, I guess he is the insurance if they don't get a true 2nd line C in free agency.

05-30-2009, 11:12 AM
Burkie says the team is expecting to spend right up to the cap this offseason. That's contrary to what most Leafs fans were probably anticipating, as far as activity goes. So, let the speculation begin!

Sedin Twins? Bouwmeester? Cammalleri? Gaborik? Personally, I'd rather hold off a bit on the spending and aim for Nash in 2010.

Geo
05-30-2009, 06:17 PM
Interesting. I think the Leafs will definitely spend but I wouldn't have thought to (or very close to) the cap, considering the cap will likely to decrease in 2010.

It makes some sense though. First off, the team could obviously structure contracts to work out, maybe frontload a bit for 2009. Of course we won't see deals like Detroit is doing, Burke won't do that and frankly I'm very glad. I believe Burke has said 5 years is his max term, which I think is perfect.

But more importantly, a lot of contracts are off the books after 2009. Per NHL Numbers (http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=TOR&season=0809):

UFAs (by my count, cost $23.133M in 09)
Jonas Frogren
Pavel Kubina
Jamal Mayers
Alex Ponikarovsky
Lee Stempniak
Matt Stajan
Vesa Toskala
Mike Van Ryn
2nd/final year of Andrew Raycrap's buyout

There are also RFAs to be re-signed after the upcoming season though:

RFAs
Nikolai Kulemin
Johnny Mitchell
Anton Stralman
Jiri Tlusty
Ian White

I have a gut feeling that Burke is going to trade Tlusty away, which makes me a bit sad as I have always liked Tlusty and think he will live up to his potential as a really skilled Top 6 forward. But I am sure Burke is going to ship the Euro away in a deal, hopefully making up for it in the return.

I think you could say the above for Anton Stralman too. He needs Kaberle/Van Ryn to be traded, so he can step in as a puck-moving defenseman.

In terms of this offseason, the only notable free agent to re-sign is RFA Mihkail Grabovski. I am positive it will get done, either 2 or 3 years around $2M per is my guess.

Right now NHL Numbers has the Leafs at around $43 for 2009. Assuming the cap ceiling is still around $56M ... that gives them around $10M plus a respectable $3M cushion, I suppose? Subtract Grabo's $2M and it's around $8M-plus.

Thoughts on free agents later.

Job
05-30-2009, 07:10 PM
I just can't see how getting rid of JJ for Jordan Staal of all people would be a good move for the Kings. First there's a plenty bunch of good centres in this upcoming draft and if they want one so bad they are sure to have a chance at either Schenn/Kane/Schroeder/Josefsen with their 5th overall pick. Next they have put a huge emphasis on defense and they have one of the best two-way D prospects to come out in the last couple of years, there's no way they trade him (though the Canes were stupid enough after all). JJ's gonna be a first pairing D for sure. Staal would max out on the 2nd line on that team, no way he beats Kopitar.

Hines
05-30-2009, 07:12 PM
I just can't see how getting rid of JJ for Jordan Staal of all people would be a good move for the Kings. First there's a plenty bunch of good centres in this upcoming draft and if they want one so bad they are sure to have a chance at either Schenn/Kane/Schroeder/Josefsen with their 5th overall pick. Next they have put a huge emphasis on defense and they have one of the best two-way D prospects to come out in the last couple of years, there's no way they trade him (though the Canes were stupid enough after all). JJ's gonna be a first pairing D for sure. Staal would max out on the 2nd line on that team, no way he beats Kopitar.

Staal is damn good defensively.

Xiomera
05-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Staal is damn good defensively.

Eh, he's no Hank Zetterberg.
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Job
05-30-2009, 07:18 PM
I know he's good defensively. But by defense I meant defenseman, which Staal isn't. And I wouldn't be ready to give away a future all-star D-man for a glorified PK specialist/3rd liner.

Hines
05-30-2009, 07:20 PM
I know he's good defensively. But by defense I meant defenseman, which Staal isn't. And I wouldn't be ready to give away a future all-star D-man for a glorified PK specialist/3rd liner.

I think he could potentially be a top 6 forward, but with Sid and Geno, you are not going to pass them up.

Todd Bertuzzi
05-30-2009, 07:25 PM
I think he could potentially be a top 6 forward, but with Sid and Geno, you are not going to pass them up.

That's exactly it. If Staal were on the Kings he would be putting up at least 60-70 points a year. He's only 20 and entered the league very early. The fact that he's so young and that he has been stuck behind the 2 best centres in the world is what has led to his lack of production. If he were given the opportunity the numbers would be there imo.

Job
05-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Which is what I don't understand with the Pens. They've been searching for a goddamn winger forever. Is Staal so inept that he can't learn a new position? It would seem to me that good defensive players usually are good at positionning and therefore could easily, with some effort, change positions. It would help the Pens a whole lot and would surely stop holding back Staal's development.

Hines
05-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Which is what I don't understand with the Pens. They've been searching for a goddamn winger forever. Is Staal so inept that he can't learn a new position? It would seem to me that good defensive players usually are good at positionning and therefore could easily, with some effort, change positions. It would help the Pens a whole lot and would surely stop holding back Staal's development.

We have tried and it seemed like it didnt' work out too well.

Job
05-30-2009, 07:38 PM
Then I have my right to question his top-six forward potential.

05-30-2009, 07:40 PM
If you're expecting Staal to ever be a first line player, then there's a good chance he'll disappoint. Still, I think there's a lot of untapped promise with him mainly given his situation on such a deep team down the middle. A young(er) team like LA where he could be part of that growing process would be most ideal.

LA could sacrifice one of those blue-chip blueliners (not necessarily JMFJ) to replenish their offense, especially if they lose some key players this offseason as well as possibly losing out on the Gaborik sweepstakes.

Xio, sure, Staal may not be the star two-way player Hank is right now, but his career potential actually aligns very closely with his, only a much bigger version, of course.

MaxV
05-30-2009, 07:45 PM
Wrong thread.

Geo
06-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Burkie says the team is expecting to spend right up to the cap this offseason. That's contrary to what most Leafs fans were probably anticipating, as far as activity goes. So, let the speculation begin!

Sedin Twins? Bouwmeester? Cammalleri? Gaborik? Personally, I'd rather hold off a bit on the spending and aim for Nash in 2010.
Quick thoughts:

Sedins - welcome, although pretty sure the Leafs would have to trade either Kaberle or Kubina to make cap space (11-12M combined per season is fair to me). Additional bonus is that they could make Stempniak look good so the team could trade his ass for value at the deadline. Although they will probably re-sign with Vancouver.

Bouwmeester - do not want at all, would completely bomb in Toronto.

Cammalleri - doesn't Burke want to get bigger and tougher? Also, not sure he really fulfills the need of a #1 center. Calgary was a much much better fit for him. Burke saw him in the West, he'll know if he wants him or not.

Gaborik - I'd like the gamble, but I don't think Burke will. Especially at his likely price.

Nash in '10 - I don't see him leaving Columbus at all unfortunately. Better chance Kovalchuk and Savard hit the open market, my guess.

Todd Bertuzzi
06-01-2009, 05:39 PM
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=424538

Jacques Martin leaves his post as GM of the Panthers to become Montreal's coach. He was a great coach pre lockout, but his style just doesn't fit the new game. I'll be interested to see if he's adjusted yet.

Sniper
06-01-2009, 05:41 PM
but his style just doesn't fit the new game.

Did you miss the first two games of the SC finals?

Todd Bertuzzi
06-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Did you miss the first two games of the SC finals?

No, why? please explain.....

Sniper
06-01-2009, 05:49 PM

Detroit's been cluttering the **** out of the neutral zone. Pittsburgh hasn't been able to gain speed through the neutral zone at all. Nick Lidstrom constantly talks about not letting the Pens get speed through the neutral zone, and Detroit's trap-ish set-up and active sticks have helped them neutralize the speed of the Pens.

Sniper

Detroit's been cluttering the **** out of the neutral zone. Pittsburgh hasn't been able to gain speed through the neutral zone at all. Nick Lidstrom constantly talks about not letting the Pens get speed through the neutral zone, and Detroit's trap-ish set-up and active sticks have helped them neutralize the speed of the Pens.

Sniper

Sniper
06-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Double post...my bad.

Todd Bertuzzi
06-01-2009, 05:53 PM

What does this have to do with the Canadiens again?

Sniper
06-01-2009, 05:53 PM
What does this have to do with the Canadiens again?

It's the same type of system? Clutter the neutral zone and slow down the other team's forwards.

Todd Bertuzzi
06-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Are seriously comparing Montreal to Detroit? Yes Detroit is a great defensive team, but they can also run and gun with the best of them. We have seen time and time again that the trap and sitting on leads does not work in the NHL anymore and these playoffs with all the comebacks we've seen are a prime example of that. Not to mention Montreal's organization is a mess right now what with half the team being free agents.

Sniper
06-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Are seriously comparing Montreal to Detroit?

No. I'm comparing styles

Yes Detroit is a great defensive team, but they can also run and gun with the best of them.

Clearly, they've won the first two games by running and gunning. :rolleyes:

Not to mention Montreal's organization is a mess right now what with half the team being free agents.

Not the important guys, for the most part. Anyone who sucks in a contract year probably isn't worth bringing back.

Sniper
06-01-2009, 06:10 PM
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=280562

It also marks the first time since 1992-93 that the Canadiens have formally hired a coach with NHL experience. The team hired former Blues and Red Wings coach Jacques Demers that season, and have since hired first-timers Mario Tremblay, Alain Vigneault, Michel Therrien, Claude Julien and Guy Carbonneau.

You know what that means...Championship.

Jensen
06-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Anaheim used the trap against SJ in the 3rd period when they had the lead. It worked out pretty well for them.

Wootylicous
06-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Martin is probably gonna change his style a bit due to a new team.

Sniper
06-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Anaheim used the trap against SJ in the 3rd period when they had the lead. It worked out pretty well for them.

The trap works if you have the right pieces for it.

Borat
06-01-2009, 06:17 PM
http://a0.vox.com/6a00c2252019508fdb00ccff8a52f86731-500pi

Todd Bertuzzi
06-01-2009, 06:19 PM
No. I'm comparing styles

For starters, we don't even know if Martin is going to implement a defense first philosophy.

Clearly, they've won the first two games by running and gunning. :rolleyes:

I never said they have. It's easy to play system like theirs when you have one of the best defensemen of all time manning your blueline. Pittsburgh had outshot Detroit both games and if it weren't for Osgood and a few bounces they may very well have won one maybe both of the games. Detroit averages both the least GA per game and the most GF per game. It's unfair to compare any team in the league to Detroit. They have a unique system that has helped them be so successful.

Wootylicous
06-01-2009, 06:21 PM
Andrei Markov is one of the best D in the league Todd. We are no slouch there.

Sniper
06-01-2009, 06:22 PM

And once Bouwmeester and Beauchemin sign, Stanley will be ours!

Todd Bertuzzi
06-01-2009, 06:29 PM

He's good, but he's no Lidstrom though. All I'm saying is that you can't compare Montreal to Detroit and that Martin will need to change his philosophy in order to be successful.

Todd Bertuzzi
06-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Montreal fired their goalie coach today as well.

scottyboy
06-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Devilsl play a trap system!!! ZOMGZ hockey knowledge!

I'm sorry, I dont talk much strategy

TimD
06-03-2009, 02:18 PM
i know ive talked a lot about my friend on here and if anyone wants to read about him, NHL.com just did an article about him and his dad.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=424597&navid=DLNHL

http://cdn.nhl.com/images/upload/2009/06/velischek_alex_delbarton_school_skates_325x183.jpg

Wootylicous
06-03-2009, 02:21 PM
He must be a Habs fan! Good guy :P

TimD
06-03-2009, 02:23 PM
nah haha. he's actually a rangers fan. which is weird cause he's grown up with the devils his whole life. but yeah he'll always root for the habs when it doesnt affect the rangers.

the decider13
06-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Avs fired Granato...weird. They have no GM and no coach right before the draft. They sound pretty screwed.

TimD
06-03-2009, 02:27 PM
imagine is stevie y signed to be their gm.... lol won't happen but itd be a funny situation

Wootylicous
06-03-2009, 02:28 PM
nah haha. he's actually a rangers fan. which is weird cause he's grown up with the devils his whole life. but yeah he'll always root for the habs when it doesnt affect the rangers.

ah damn! his father is a habs fan ?

the decider13
06-03-2009, 02:30 PM
imagine is stevie y signed to be their gm.... lol won't happen but itd be a funny situation

That would be awkward during the first locker room visit. Especially with guys like Foote that are still there haha

TimD
06-03-2009, 03:18 PM
ah damn! his father is a habs fan ?

yeah cause its his hometown team but he's more or less a devils fan. mostly cause he's friends with a lot of their former players and worked for them until a couple of years ago as a radio color commentator.

SuperMcGee
06-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Avs fired Granato...weird. They have no GM and no coach right before the draft. They sound pretty screwed.

They made assistant GM Greg Sherman the new GM.

TimD
06-03-2009, 03:33 PM
i dont understand when teams clean house then promote someone to a job. if they got rid of the gm and coach youd think theyd bring someone new in.

Todd Bertuzzi
06-03-2009, 03:45 PM
i dont understand when teams clean house then promote someone to a job. if they got rid of the gm and coach youd think theyd bring someone new in.

Sometimes when you hire someone within the organization it is better because they have been around the organization and know the players, team needs, philosophies etc... better than anyone else.

EdReedUnstoppable
06-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Marc Savard or Phil Kessel on the trading block? Thats the rumor and let me be the first to say to George McPhee......GET ON THIS!!!

Todd Bertuzzi
06-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Avs hire Joe Sacco.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=424893

Don Vito
06-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Marc Savard or Phil Kessel on the trading block? Thats the rumor and let me be the first to say to George McPhee......GET ON THIS!!!

We were most likely going to have to give up one out of Krejci/Kessel/Savard (maybe throw Bergeron/Sturm in there) going into this offseason and we already re-signed Krejci. Kessel is a very young and talented scorer and I really like him, but if it comes down to Kessel and Savard I think Phil will be walking unfotunately. I would love to see him stick around because he is a fan favorite, has a great story, and is very talented but there will be a lot of demand for him.

slightlyaraiderfan
06-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Avs hire Joe Sacco.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=424893
close enough to Sakic, it could work

EdReedUnstoppable
06-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Phil Kessel To Dc!!!! Make It Happen!!!!!

MaxV
06-06-2009, 10:42 AM

How would you sign all of those star players to extensions?

06-06-2009, 10:50 AM

Signing another star forward ain't gonna get you guys 'over the hump'. Money would be better invested elsewhere, probably for someone who could pair up with Green. There are some good options available this year, though I have no idea what your cap situation is like.

EdReedUnstoppable
06-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Signing another star forward ain't gonna get you guys 'over the hump'. Money would be better invested elsewhere, probably for someone who could pair up with Green. There are some good options available this year, though I have no idea what your cap situation is like.

We're losing Federov, Gordon, and Kozlov, we need another Center. Personally I want Cammalleri but Kessel is the dream scenario! As for D, I'd like Beauchemin spelled that wrong for sure but whatev. Then our D core would look somethin like this.....

Green/Beauchemin
Pothier/Poti
Alzner/Jurcina or Erskine

EdReedUnstoppable
06-06-2009, 12:24 PM
How would you sign all of those star players to extensions?

The only extensions needed would be Backstrom and Kessel, we can get that done.

**** Semin, he can hit the bricks!

Hines
06-06-2009, 03:02 PM
You do know that Beauchemin won't solve your defense problem, right?

djp
06-08-2009, 07:26 PM
What's everyones thoughts on Minn. HS RW Zach Budish?

Todd Bertuzzi
06-08-2009, 07:31 PM

I like him and I'll think if not for his injury he'd be going in the 1st round this year. It'll be interesting to see how he plays next year at Minnesota.

Geo
06-09-2009, 01:49 PM
17 days until Draft, June 26th & 27th.

22 days until free agency, July 1st.

We're getting close.

06-09-2009, 04:05 PM

He didn't play his senior year because of a torn ACL suffered in football. That alone could drop him out of the first round, though I really hope not. I seriously considered taking him in our offseason draft. Definitely one of my favorite power forwards available.

djp
06-09-2009, 04:09 PM
He didn't play his senior year because of a torn ACL suffered in football. That alone could drop him out of the first round, though I really hope not. I seriously considered taking him in our offseason draft. Definitely one of my favorite power forwards available.

Good, my Minn HS bias isn't deceiving me. I love the kid, think he's going to be a great player for somebody for a long time.