PDA

View Full Version : Carson Palmer Question

The Legend
04-12-2009, 10:55 PM
I have a question. Carson Palmer threw 20 interceptions in 2007 and didn't have that great of a year last year before he got hurt. He has a 6 year 120 million contact and I'm wondering if he has another 20 interceptions year could he be traded?

Everything is in order for a bad year for the guy.
Horrible offensive line.
No tight end.
No running back.
Chad about to be trade
Coles is old
His teammates going to jail like its monopoly.
He is 30 years old.
Defense isn't that great.

This team has so many holes if they trade him maybe they can fill some of them and get a quarterback in the draft. Then again trading him will maybe make the biggest hole.

Guess I'm just thinking this team is in big trouble

Somse
04-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Who would want him with that contract if he plays poorly enough for the Bengals to want to trade him?

Menardo75
04-12-2009, 10:58 PM
Not to mention the draft hasn't even happened yet a little early for this thread. Either way that would be the dumbest move the Bengals could make.

Smokey Joe
04-12-2009, 11:36 PM
If the Bengals finish in the celler with little bright spots again, I could very well see a trade being made. Their roster needs a major overhaul, and in fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Carson demanded a trade.

Carson could still get a lot in a trade as well. Some team that is boarderline playoffs/superbowl that might not want to draft and develop a QB would love to get their hands on him. Right now, for me, the Jets come to mind next year. I think they are gonna stick with the young guys for now and build the D up, but next year they could be in need for a QB.

Brent
04-12-2009, 11:38 PM
it wouldn't surprise me if Carson demanded a trade.
I doubt it, he doesn't seem like the type.

Mr. Hero
04-13-2009, 12:04 AM
I like the direction their D is moving in. If the get a more consistent pass rush next season they'll be an above average group. And a quality center would be huge for that oline which in turn would make the job easier on Benson and which ever rookie ends up his backup. With Coles, Caldwell and Simpson I think their receivers have the talent to do very well with a QB like Carson throwing them the ball if the oline can do well enough for the running game to keep teams honest. I know they have a top 6 pick this year, but if they can bolster both lines I think they could be a 8-8 team or better next season.

Smokey Joe
04-13-2009, 12:10 AM
I doubt it, he doesn't seem like the type.
You never know. Another crappy season there, and he might just want a change. He's already in his 30's, and I'm sure he wants a chance at going to the playoffs and possibly the superbowl while he still has some good years left.

PACKmanN
04-13-2009, 12:13 AM
If the Bengals finish in the celler with little bright spots again, I could very well see a trade being made. Their roster needs a major overhaul, and in fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Carson demanded a trade.

Carson could still get a lot in a trade as well. Some team that is boarderline playoffs/superbowl that might not want to draft and develop a QB would love to get their hands on him. Right now, for me, the Jets come to mind next year. I think they are gonna stick with the young guys for now and build the D up, but next year they could be in need for a QB.

I think he would ask what is the future of this team and how long it would take for them to finally become a playoff team. The problem is that he doesn't have much of a trade value. Plus, would they be able to handle the cap hit of his and Chad's contract.

themaninblack
04-13-2009, 12:35 AM
Now's not the time to hit the panic button. We're really not all that far away from being a competitive team again.

BlindSite
04-13-2009, 02:25 AM
I feel sorry for Carson Palmer he's one of the better Qbs in the NFL and his career has been largely wasted by a really poor team surrounding him, poor in every way possible.

Ness
04-13-2009, 03:40 AM
You never know. Another crappy season there, and he might just want a change. He's already in his 30's, and I'm sure he wants a chance at going to the playoffs and possibly the superbowl while he still has some good years left.
Carson Palmer is 29. And he could still play well into his late thirties. He has a lot of football left unless he gets some serious injury. Steve Young didn't become our full time starter until he was 28 and played until he was 37.

vidae
04-13-2009, 04:08 AM
Carson Palmer is still one of the best QBs in the league. Trading him really means they've got nothing left on that team. Trading him makes them infinitely worse than they are now.

AkiliSmith
04-13-2009, 04:18 AM
His teammates going to jail like its monopoly.

I guess if you have 1 arrested in 3 years in Monopoly than yeah you are right

Addict
04-13-2009, 08:36 AM
I guess if you have 1 arrested in 3 years in Monopoly than yeah you are right

you got the point.

SimonRath
04-13-2009, 09:01 AM
if i were a team in need of a QB to make my team a super bowl contender (like the Vikings) i'd trade for Carson

Smokey Joe
04-13-2009, 09:07 AM
Carson Palmer is 29. And he could still play well into his late thirties. He has a lot of football left unless he gets some serious injury. Steve Young didn't become our full time starter until he was 28 and played until he was 37.
I'd say he's got 5, maybe 6 years before it all goes downhill. I think 35 is right around where QB's start to really regress. Does he really want to go through another rebuilding process with the Bengals? After all, if they suck next year (which they likely will), odds are you'll see a new coaching staff, and maybe even a new front office.

Next year Palmer is gonna be 30 and likely with a team that will be 2-3 years, at least, away from being a contender. I get the feeling he might want out and go to a contender while he's still got good play still in him.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
04-13-2009, 10:39 AM
This would be the ultimate sign of the Bengals admitting they are a joke of a franchise. They best pray that he doesn't ask for a trade (aka get really fed up with the joke the franchise has become) and will continue to inspire some level of hope for them. They will not trade him as they wouldn't get anyone better, and they have other holes to fill. He's not old, he has many years left. When did 29 at QB become old? He's not a RB (wall identified at 30).

Throw in the fact that his value is lower than it has perennially be, and will be in the future, it would be the worst thing this franchise could do....straight up

killxswitch
04-13-2009, 11:10 AM
I don't know if he will be traded but it is a shame he is already 30 and has played so little football for such a bad team.

PalmerToCJ
04-13-2009, 12:07 PM
No.... Just no....

It's bad enough Mike Brown is in awful owner but what's up with posters on here wanting us to trade away our best players on top of that lol.

Ness
04-13-2009, 02:08 PM
I'd say he's got 5, maybe 6 years before it all goes downhill. I think 35 is right around where QB's start to really regress. Does he really want to go through another rebuilding process with the Bengals? After all, if they suck next year (which they likely will), odds are you'll see a new coaching staff, and maybe even a new front office.

Next year Palmer is gonna be 30 and likely with a team that will be 2-3 years, at least, away from being a contender. I get the feeling he might want out and go to a contender while he's still got good play still in him.
I'm just saying 29 isn't old for a quarterback. Five to six years is a very long time. And why does everyone in this thread keep thinking he is 30?

PalmerToCJ
04-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Besides, why is everyone saying we're completely awful? We were the most injured team last year and it showed.

Give us an OT and C in the first few rounds and the Oline is perfectly fine. We had the 12th best defense last year which is VERY young and was also destroyed with injuries. Paul Alexander is a very good Oline coach, fix the Oline and get some production out of the running game and we could challenge for a wildcard spot easy.

Carson has had one losing season here and he wasn't the best early on in late game situations. He has picked that up since.

Carson wouldn't ask for a trade, he's not the sort. Not to mention it would destroy our cap.

Addict
04-13-2009, 03:51 PM
he was born december 27th, so he'll turn 30 by the end of the season.

Ness
04-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Besides, why is everyone saying we're completely awful? We were the most injured team last year and it showed.

Give us an OT and C in the first few rounds and the Oline is perfectly fine. We had the 12th best defense last year which is VERY young and was also destroyed with injuries. Paul Alexander is a very good Oline coach, fix the Oline and get some production out of the running game and we could challenge for a wildcard spot easy.

Carson has had one losing season here and he wasn't the best early on in late game situations. He has picked that up since.

Carson wouldn't ask for a trade, he's not the sort. Not to mention it would destroy our cap.

Challenge for a wild card spot in the AFC with the Steelers and Ravens in your division? I think it's going to take a lot more than just a rejuvenated offensive line and run game to compete.

PalmerToCJ
04-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Challenge for a wild card spot in the AFC with the Steelers and Ravens in your division? I think it's going to take a lot more than just a rejuvenated offensive line and run game to compete.

We have a very strong secondary, our defense got beat down last year because the offense was 3 and out constantly. Carson has never had a defense that is as good as this one should be. We will be much more complete this year than we have been in a long while. Our offense won't be what it was in '05 but the defense will be much improved over what it was then.

And you say that like in the NFL if a team is good or bad that they'll automatically be that way the next season. If I was a Raven or Falcon fan making this argument last year you probably would've said the same thing.

Smokey Joe
04-13-2009, 04:50 PM
PalmerToCJ, you might have to change your name within the next year to two, lol... Hell, even CJ doesn't fit anymore because of how, like the ass he is, changed his name. Well, if Carson Palmer is traded, Jordan Palmer is still there, so your name wouldn't be totally worthless... lol.

MooshooGawd
04-13-2009, 05:06 PM
No way we trade Palmer. Like someone said above, the Bengals draft one of the big name centers and an OT and they're right back in the hunt.

They've got a young defense that should get better with guys like Geathers, Odom and Rivers coming back 100%. They've got some young receivers, and Cedric Benson was a monster the last half of the season.

SimonRath
04-13-2009, 06:57 PM
he was born december 27th, so he'll turn 30 by the end of the season.

same birthday as me :D

Thumper
04-13-2009, 07:04 PM
PalmerToCJ, you might have to change your name within the next year to two, lol... Hell, even CJ doesn't fit anymore because of how, like the ass he is, changed his name. Well, if Carson Palmer is traded, Jordan Palmer is still there, so your name wouldn't be totally worthless... lol.

He should be PalmerToCOC, for accuracies sake.

PalmerToCJ
04-13-2009, 07:09 PM
The Palmer part of my name is safe. Last year I almost made it PalmerToTJ... Good thing I didn't pull the trigger on that one lol. PalmerToHenry would be short lived I'm sure.

And I refuse to call Chad Johnson that other name...

The Legend
04-13-2009, 07:34 PM
PalmerToColes?

Ness
04-13-2009, 09:24 PM
We have a very strong secondary, our defense got beat down last year because the offense was 3 and out constantly. Carson has never had a defense that is as good as this one should be. We will be much more complete this year than we have been in a long while. Our offense won't be what it was in '05 but the defense will be much improved over what it was then.

And you say that like in the NFL if a team is good or bad that they'll automatically be that way the next season. If I was a Raven or Falcon fan making this argument last year you probably would've said the same thing.
The Ravens and Falcons made a change did they not? In multiple aspects with their team. Atlanta especially with a quarterback that could actually play decent and a dynamic running game. So you are right in that aspect, I would have said that same thing.

Bucs_Rule
04-13-2009, 09:41 PM
You don't trade away Franchise QBs in their prime. He's a couple years younger than Manning and you don't hear anyone talking about trading him. The Bengals aren't that good with Palmer, they would be way worse without him.

SimonRath
04-13-2009, 10:12 PM
You don't trade away Franchise QBs in their prime. He's a couple years younger than Manning and you don't hear anyone talking about trading him. The Bengals aren't that good with Palmer, they would be way worse without him.

Manning is better then Palmer.
not a good argument

Brent
04-13-2009, 10:16 PM
And you say that like in the NFL if a team is good or bad that they'll automatically be that way the next season
As a Niners fan, I haven't had good feelings about the team since Jeff "I have the hottest wife ever" Garcia was our QB.

PalmerToCJ
04-13-2009, 10:27 PM
As a Niners fan, I haven't had good feelings about the team since Jeff "I have the hottest wife ever" Garcia was our QB.

LOL... Understandable. There's always teams that draft in the top 10 that make the playoffs... Happens every year. To me, the Bengals seem like a team with one of the best shots to do that this year. I may be slightly biased...