PDA

View Full Version : Harrison signs 6 years $51.175mm contract

Somse
04-13-2009, 10:41 AM
Steelers linebacker James Harrison cashed in on his incredible 2008 season by agreeing to a new contract that is worth $51.175 million over the next six seasons, according to a source.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4064291

BaLLiN
04-13-2009, 10:44 AM
8.5+ a year, DeMarcus is going to want a lot of money, eh cowboys fans? :)

terribletowel39
04-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Six years is kinda long but I'm glad we have tied him up. He deserves this. Yay!!

Addict
04-13-2009, 10:46 AM
8.5+ a year, DeMarcus is going to want a lot of money, eh cowboys fans? :)

when that contract is signed and the numbers come through, people will go insane.

BaLLiN
04-13-2009, 10:49 AM
when that contract is signed and the numbers come through, people will go insane.

Yeah, im pretty sure his contract will change the contract requests every pass rusher in the game will ask for, its going to get a little too pricey.

I hope for Dallas's sake and for owners. DeMarcus has a dropoff year.

Addict
04-13-2009, 10:51 AM
Yeah, im pretty sure his contract will change the contract requests every pass rusher in the game will ask for, its going to get a little too pricey.

I hope for Dallas's sake and for owners. DeMarcus has a dropoff year.

with contracts going up every year, way faster than the cap rises (even with an uncapped year in the making). Well I just don't know how this is going to affect the other salaries of Dallas players. There's only so much cap room.

BaLLiN
04-13-2009, 10:59 AM
with contracts going up every year, way faster than the cap rises (even with an uncapped year in the making). Well I just don't know how this is going to affect the other salaries of Dallas players. There's only so much cap room.

there definitely has to be a limit, its ridiculous. Haynesworth got his money, doesnt even stay on the field for a full 3 downs and doesnt play full seasons.

Im all for the players getting their dues, they give their bodies up, but seriously now its getting to be too much and they are being sissies.

in the old days players played both ways and their wages werent great, its the pride of the game, this money is making it worse; giving too much opportunity for bad. The players have alot invested in them and now we're seeing all these players ruin it and waste money.

killxswitch
04-13-2009, 11:08 AM
Good for him I guess. He was great last year. I don't know how teams will continue to handle these salaries in this economy.

PACKmanN
04-13-2009, 11:49 AM
talk about being overpaid.

Geo
04-13-2009, 12:28 PM
He's an impact player and impact players get paid. Don't see anything wrong here.

Good for the Steelers and Harrison for getting this deal done, especially as he never made a huge fuss about his contract.

Now if the Steelers lock Woodley in the next year or so, they'll be set for years to come at outside linebacker.

Menardo75
04-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Good for both sides he deserves every penny.

FlyingElvis
04-13-2009, 12:35 PM
For a second I figured the Raiders signed Marvin. :D

Addict
04-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Good for both sides he deserves every penny.

no. just no. I don't care how good he is. Nobody deserves that kind of money. You can't even EARN that kind of money. Like every other NFL player, he's getting overpaid. Yes you could argue that it's a market thing or whatever, but that doesn't change the fact that NFL players, or professional athletes in general, are WAY overpaid. Deserving every penny is absolutely rediculous.

Menardo75
04-13-2009, 12:37 PM
no. just no. I don't care how good he is. Nobody deserves that kind of money. You can't even EARN that kind of money. Like every other NFL player, he's getting overpaid. Yes you could argue that it's a market thing or whatever, but that doesn't change the fact that NFL players, or professional athletes in general, are WAY overpaid. Deserving every penny is absolutely rediculous.

When you compare it to the salaries that other players are getting then he is under-paid. I said that based on what other players are making. Of course all pro athletes are over paid.

killxswitch
04-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Yeah they are overpaid but I don't blame them for making money. What are they going to do say "no thanks I don't need the extra $25 million"?

Addict
04-13-2009, 12:40 PM
When you compare it to the salaries that other players are getting then he is under-paid. I said that based on what other players are making. Of course all pro athletes are over paid.

Yeah it's collective insanity. Which makes it ok for this contract to be insane.

Ward
04-13-2009, 12:52 PM
I'd encourage everyone who agrees with Addict to stop watching the NFL, stop going to games, and stop buying merchandise. Hell, stop coming to this site. Because if you're contributing to this mass insanity, you're guilty too right? Don't be a part of something you hate.

Players make a fraction of the profits owners and the NFL make every year. It's a billion dollar industry. Players are compensated appropriately, and guaranteed money for superstars remains lower than the MLB or NBA.

LonghornsLegend
04-13-2009, 12:54 PM

There isn't anyone left noteworthy to re-sign except Ware.

I also think it's silly to argue over athletes making too much, they have always been "overpaid" technically because they play a sport and make millions, it's always been this way, always will be...At least these type of entertainers put their body on the line, and can cause them long term health with their knees and joints at some point, much better then other entertainers who just get paid to show up and that's it.

Addict
04-13-2009, 12:57 PM
I'd encourage everyone who agrees with Addict to stop watching the NFL, stop going to games, and stop buying merchandise. Hell, stop coming to this site. Because if you're contributing to this mass insanity, you're guilty too right? Don't be a part of something you hate.

Players make a fraction of the profits owners and the NFL make every year. It's a billion dollar industry. Players are compensated appropriately, and guaranteed money for superstars remains lower than the MLB or NBA.

I was making a point based on principle. Yes owners make a boatload of money, I don't think that's a good thing either. I know and accept that, but it doesn't mean I necessarily agree with it. It's an unfair world, bla bla bla. But the fact that it is an unfair world doesn't necessarily mean that I agree with it 100%.

What I was trying to say is that there's hundreds of thousands of people who work for billion dollar companies in trillion dollar industries who don't even earn a fraction of what an NFL player earns. I'm guessing you missed my point.

Ward
04-13-2009, 01:03 PM
I was making a point based on principle. Yes owners make a boatload of money, I don't think that's a good thing either. I know and accept that, but it doesn't mean I necessarily agree with it. It's an unfair world, bla bla bla. But the fact that it is an unfair world doesn't necessarily mean that I agree with it 100%.

What I was trying to say is that there's hundreds of thousands of people who work for billion dollar companies in trillion dollar industries who don't even earn a fraction of what an NFL player earns. I'm guessing you missed my point.

What is your point? What is your solution to this problem? The NFL is a business, and it's employees are compensated based on merit. Tell me how you would "fix" this.

bored of education
04-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Businesses are not supposed to make money or pay their employees?

D-Unit
04-13-2009, 01:28 PM
This contract is pretty cheap. Harrison is already 30 years old. Ware is only 26. If Ware's contract is similar to that, that's a friggen deal. Of course it'll be more though. Ware's value is way higher.

Strongside
04-13-2009, 01:42 PM
Guy totally deserves this, he's been playing on special teamer money

Somse
04-13-2009, 01:45 PM

It's called supply and demand...

If you know of a better system than capitalism though, please, let us know. I'm sure the world would benefit.

someone447
04-13-2009, 02:27 PM

Supply and demand. There are many, many more people who can do the jobs of an office worker than a professional athlete.

E-Man
04-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Good for him. He's a stellar player that's come up from little publicity. When a man works like he does he deserves to get paid that way. I think this contract will help Ware's contract because now you have something lower to compare Ware to. Before it was Albert Haynesworth and his triple digits, but since Harrison is the same position as Ware and edged him out in the DPOY it makes more sense to give Ware something close to that.

And why is it that some people think pro athletes are overpaid? If you generate billions of dollars of income for an industry you deserve a generous piece of the pie. How many people can say that? Sure other workers may work for multi million dollar industries too, but "Bob in Accounting" doesn't generate a quarter of the millions that a pro athlete does. The only problem with the NFL's structure is that there are no guaranteed contracts.

FlyingElvis
04-13-2009, 02:48 PM
The only problem with the NFL's structure is that there are no guaranteed contracts.
I was nodding approval right up to this point. Like the NFL doesn't have enough prima donnas, let's make it easier for the Manny Ramirez/Stephon Marbury types make their way into the NFL.

No thanks.

E-Man
04-13-2009, 03:49 PM
I was nodding approval right up to this point. Like the NFL doesn't have enough prima donnas, let's make it easier for the Manny Ramirez/Stephon Marbury types make their way into the NFL.

No thanks.

I feel you on that, but I just don't want to see a guy get hurt and not see all of the money he was promised. I'd go insane with a guy like Stephon Marbury playing in the NFL, but I think there should be a fair balance. If the players have to agree to the contract then so should teams. Of course nobody is starving so it's not that big a deal, but teams benefit more than the players do. I'd rather have an even balance.

FlyingElvis
04-13-2009, 04:24 PM
The signing bonus does a decent job of that. It's not perfect, and I agree with you to an extent. That is why I never take issue or offense when a player holds out. But guaranteed contracts are a blight on the NBA that I never want to see in the NFL.

Shahin
04-13-2009, 04:44 PM
For a second I figured the Raiders signed Marvin. :D

me too....i was pissed.

SimonRath
04-13-2009, 06:59 PM
im so saying he'll have a drop off year

Jakey
04-13-2009, 07:06 PM
im so saying he'll have a drop off year

Nvm...we have a beast waiting in his shadow...BRUCE DAVIS!!!1!!!!one!1!!

Michael Carter
04-13-2009, 08:35 PM
I doubt he'll last that entire contract so it's important to know specifically how it's structured to really know how much of it he's going to see.

SimonRath
04-13-2009, 08:40 PM
I doubt he'll last that entire contract so it's important to know specifically how it's structured to really know how much of it he's going to see.

Mr. Carter, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may Bob Marley have mercy on your soul.

Dam8610
04-13-2009, 09:44 PM
That's a bit much for a player who had one big year. How much guaranteed?

BeerBaron
04-13-2009, 09:56 PM
Six years is kinda long but I'm glad we have tied him up. He deserves this. Yay!!

He's got low mileage on his tires though....hasn't been a starter for all that incredibly long. Hopefully for you guyses sake, he can play well into his late 30's.....even if he doesn't see the final years of the contract (as few do because they either get cut from it or it gets renegotiated) he'll still be playing meaningful football for a good 4 more years or so.

Caddy
04-13-2009, 09:58 PM
He definitely deserves this. One of the top 3-4 Linebackers in the whole league and a huge threat no matter where he is on the field.

BeerBaron
04-13-2009, 10:02 PM

He year in 07 wasn't exactly bad. 8.5 starts in 16 starts...That was basically his first year as a full timer starter.

And I believe the guaranteed is something like $21 million in bonus money.

E-Man
04-13-2009, 10:09 PM
The signing bonus does a decent job of that. It's not perfect, and I agree with you to an extent. That is why I never take issue or offense when a player holds out. But guaranteed contracts are a blight on the NBA that I never want to see in the NFL.
I feel you. Nobody's starving so it's no big deal to me. It's a good thing players don't have to get extra jobs like in the old days. They seem to be well compensated.

Vox Populi
04-13-2009, 10:10 PM
Not a bad contract at all for the Steelers. He could have gotten more on the open market.

Pitt
04-13-2009, 11:27 PM

He's been to the Pro Bowl twice. Do the math Albert.

You don't go to the popularity contest in your first year as a starter unless you've done something right. And he's been making impact plays off the bench before that. Which is the reason why they released Joey Porter with one year left on his contract.

A Perfect Score
04-14-2009, 03:28 AM
Just look at my sig quote to see mine, and others opinions on this...He's overrated and I'm glad the Steelers are going to be overpaying for him for years to come

Shane P. Hallam
04-14-2009, 03:38 AM
Just look at my sig quote to see mine, and others opinions on this...He's overrated and I'm glad the Steelers are going to be overpaying for him for years to come

Not so much APS! The contract is structured to be able to let him go after 2-3 years, so don't worry. Like every other Steelers LB before him, Levon Kirkland, Greg Lloyd, Kevin Greene, Mike Vrabel, Joey Porter, Jason Gildon, Kendrell Bell, Chad Brown, etc. were all let go before they hit their downside. Many of these guys (Kirkland and Lloyd specifically,) signed big contracts and were released halfway through them. Harrison will be gone in three years, and he'll probably end up on your Ravens and you'll love him ;)

A Perfect Score
04-14-2009, 03:42 AM
Not so much APS! The contract is structured to be able to let him go after 2-3 years, so don't worry. Like every other Steelers LB before him, Levon Kirkland, Greg Lloyd, Kevin Greene, Mike Vrabel, Joey Porter, Jason Gildon, Kendrell Bell, Chad Brown, etc. were all let go before they hit their downside. Many of these guys (Kirkland and Lloyd specifically,) signed big contracts and were released halfway through them. Harrison will be gone in three years, and he'll probably end up on your Ravens and you'll love him ;)

Lies! Lies and slander! He will not come to the Ravens because we do not accept dirty cheap shot artists on our roster, which is all yours has to offer! (Bart Scott excluded, he is gone now)

steelernation77
04-14-2009, 12:35 PM

Kevin Greene's sack numbers were consistent throughout his career with any of the four teams he played with.

Joey Porter had a good year last year.

The Steelers system is not entirely responsible for high sack numbers. For the most part, the Steelers have just known when a player is past his prime and released or not resigned him. That's why, generally, they don't sign players over 30 to big deals.

Hines
04-14-2009, 01:26 PM
Lies! Lies and slander! He will not come to the Ravens because we do not accept dirty cheap shot artists on our roster, which is all yours has to offer! (Bart Scott excluded, he is gone now)

You had your chance and you cut him.

I just hope this deal is front loaded. That is a lot of guarenteed money to be tied up with.

He deserves it, though. I personally thought it was going to be in the 100 million range.

Rob S
04-14-2009, 01:59 PM
I will go on record and say he will be gone after 3 years

Mr. Stiller
04-14-2009, 08:29 PM
Harrison has 2 full years under his belt.

He takes extremely well care of himself and body. Dude was in the Team Workout facility 2 days after the superbowl.

Saints-Tigers
04-14-2009, 08:34 PM

Uh, the owners who sign these checks are clearly the ones who are overpaid. If he can just throw 50 million dollars to James Harrison like that, that means Harrison is making him a lot more dough than that in the long run by helping him win games and sell jerseys. Harrison is getting jipped!