PDA

View Full Version : Is Miles Austin worth a 2nd Rounder?

D-Unit
04-13-2009, 02:03 PM
Is Miles Austin worth a 2nd Rounder?

Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:26 am EDT

Jets to make contract offer to Dallas' Austin?

Contrary to one published report, Dallas Cowboys wide receiver and New Jersey native Miles Austin did visit with the New York Jets Friday, according to the Newark (N.J.) Star Ledger.

Austin, a restricted free agent, was not offered a contract by the Jets, however, the report indicated the Jets told Austin that they plan to put together one in the coming days.

If the Cowboys don't match the offer, they would receive a second-round pick from the Jets as compensation. Dallas has extended a one-year, $1.54 million tender offer to Austin. Although the restricted free agent signing period ends on April 17th, the Jets can sign Austin to an offer sheet anytime before then and the Cowboys will then have seven days from that point to match the offer.

While the Jets clearly like Austin, they are said to be hesitant about parting with a second-round pick, which would be 52nd overall. Austin, however, appears to be as good or better than any receiver the Jets could get in the second round, according to the Star Ledger.

Source: Newark Star Ledger

bigbluedefense
04-13-2009, 02:06 PM
I sure as hell hope so. That would be 1 less team possibly snatching Kenny Britt away from the Giants.

But to answer the question....no.

scottyboy
love the kid, have since he was at monmouth(I live in monmouth) but he has not proved at all enough to be worth a 2nd rounder

SeanTaylorRIP
Hell no is he worth it, hell guys like Lance Moore and Mark Clayton haven't even had any attention as RFA's, hell I like what I saw from Malcolm Floyd more.

art vandelay
04-13-2009, 02:08 PM
People didn't think Wes Welker was worth it either, haha. Someone had to say it.

bigbluedefense
04-13-2009, 02:12 PM
wouldn't this move make the Cowboys awfully thin at WR?

art vandelay
04-13-2009, 02:13 PM
Sam Hurd ftw? Maybe even an Isiah Stanback sighting?

bigbluedefense
04-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Sam Hurd ftw? Maybe even an Isiah Stanback sighting?

they're just bodies with names on the back of their jerseys. Austin at least has some talent to go with it.

and Crayton is a serviceable slot guy when he's not doing his Freddie Mitchell impression.

art vandelay
04-13-2009, 02:17 PM
they're just bodies with names on the back of their jerseys. Austin at least has some talent to go with it.

and Crayton is a serviceable slot guy when he's not doing his Freddie Mitchell impression.

Yeah I was being sarcastic, but realistically if they trade Austin, that's what they are looking at. Travis Wilson as well.

bigbluedefense
04-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Yeah I was being sarcastic, but realistically if they trade Austin, that's what they are looking at. Travis Wilson as well.

It wouldn't shock me to see Dallas match the Jets offer. They're already an extremely thin team as far as depth is concerned. They can't afford to get thin at another position.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-13-2009, 02:26 PM
It wouldn't shock me to see Dallas match the Jets offer. They're already an extremely thin team as far as depth is concerned. They can't afford to get thin at another position.

I'd take the 2nd rounder in a new york minute. Sign Torry Holt or whoever. Or draft Juaqin Iglesias or Brandon Tate with one of your picks.

bored of education
04-13-2009, 02:28 PM
the tedginnshow > all

coordinator0
04-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Hell no is he worth it, hell guys like Lance Moore and Mark Clayton haven't even had any attention as RFA's, hell I like what I saw from Malcolm Floyd more.

He's not a RFA lol, he's not even a UFA. That's next year lol.

Menardo75
04-13-2009, 02:37 PM
If Lance Moore isn't then Miles Austin isn't

D-Unit
04-13-2009, 02:44 PM
If it's around the $1.25M/year mark, then I would agree, I wouldn't be shocked. However, Jerry has made it known that resigning Ware is the #1 priority and we are already strapped for cash. If the Jets give an agressive offer, then Jerry won't hesitate to let him walk.

Trader Jerry LOVES draft picks. Always has. Always will.

Only way I'd be shocked is if Jerry matches a big contract.

E-Man
04-13-2009, 02:44 PM
No he's not worth it. Does he have potential to be? Yes he does, but so do lots of players. So far in his career he's been a serviceable kick returner, and a decent 4th option at wideout. I don't want to lose him, but he's not some irreplaceable player. Sure there's a small chance that he could go on to be a stud if the Jets take hi, but he hasn't shown anything to make that assumption.

Im_a_Romosexual
04-13-2009, 02:59 PM
I hope so.

Flyboy
04-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Good GOD, no.

Lance Moore? Debatable.

Hurricanes25
04-13-2009, 03:01 PM
I will CRY if the Jets give up a 2nd rounder for him.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
04-13-2009, 03:21 PM
I agree, a 2nd seems a tad steep given his production. Justin McCairens (sp?) type players scare the crap out of me after the last attempt. By that type of player i mean an unproven 3rd or so WR who hasn't done anything big, has nice measureables, and is being for with decently high draft selections...

Addict
04-13-2009, 03:55 PM
he could be by the end of the season, but as of now I'd say he's not worth a second round pick.

04-13-2009, 04:04 PM
People didn't think Wes Welker was worth it either, haha. Someone had to say it.

He had a bit of production to fall back on when that offer was made. If the Jets think he's their guy and there won't be a better receiver to contribute right away at #52 then all the power to them. This would also free up the possibility of taking Freeman in round one, which would be great.

BeerBaron
04-13-2009, 04:07 PM
What the Jets could be doing (and it may have been brought up already, haven't read through the entire thread) is scouting out Austin for next year when he would be an Unrestricted Free Agent (assuming a new CBA is reached.)

Then they'd have already done some homework on him and could sign him without giving up a pick next year.

So it's sort of like tampering but not really because technically, Austin is a free agent, just a restricted one.

derza222
04-13-2009, 04:23 PM
What the Jets could be doing (and it may have been brought up already, haven't read through the entire thread) is scouting out Austin for next year when he would be an Unrestricted Free Agent (assuming a new CBA is reached.)

Then they'd have already done some homework on him and could sign him without giving up a pick next year.

So it's sort of like tampering but not really because technically, Austin is a free agent, just a restricted one.

I definitely think this is a possibility and mentioned this back in the NYJ discussion on the topic. The Jets have done it in the past, Stacy Andrews is the most recent one that comes to mind, but have not offered if memory serves. But if they do offer in this case, and rumor is that they will, then perhaps they really do want Austin. Only time will tell I guess.

MetSox17
04-13-2009, 04:41 PM
Towards the beginning of the season, Austin sure was proving he had talent to be a starting WR in this league, but his problem has always been staying healthy. He's a hell of a ST player, and a burner on offense, he has had issues with his hands, but man can he beat CBs. Ask the Packers secondary the past two seasons.

Personally, i wouldn't give up that high a pick if i were the Jets, but it would hurt a little to get even thinner at WR. If anything, this assures us of taking one early, although this might just give more room to implement Martellus Bennett into the offense. It's a win-win scenario for the Cowboys, really. If we get a second round pick for Austin, it lessens the big hit we took with all that we gave up for Roy Williams.

Smokey Joe
04-13-2009, 04:45 PM
No, but maybe the Jets want to copy the Pats and severely overpay for what seems to be a mediocre receiver, only to have that receiver catch over 100 passes... however, I doubt Austin ever puts up great numbers, solid guy, but nothing special.

Sniper
12-28-2009, 12:07 PM
97.26% of people who voted in this thread are dumb. :D That includes me.

CC.SD
12-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Haha, necro thread humiliation. Probably a whole bunch of GMs looking at their 2nd rounders and going 'meh.'

bigbluedefense
12-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Well, turns out he was definitely worth a 2nd. Maybe more.

That was one hell of a WR draft class though, so you can't kill teams for not pulling the trigger.

There were a ton of great WRs available in this draft.

Austin has definitely proved his worth though.

NIN1984
12-28-2009, 01:41 PM
well, I was wrong... Again.

Brothgar
12-28-2009, 01:52 PM
He's worth more than a 1st and a 3rd :D :D :D :D best trade ever!

RealityCheck
12-28-2009, 01:56 PM
You guys were wrong, much wrong.

Sniper
12-28-2009, 01:59 PM
I think it's funny that 10 people voted yes after I brought this back up to make it seem like they were on the Austin train all along.

RealityCheck
12-28-2009, 02:01 PM
I think it's funny that 10 people voted yes after I brought this back up to make it seem like they were on the Austin train all along.
I was one of them :rolleyes:

PoopSandwich
12-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Miles Austin > Brian Robiskie, Mohammad Massaquoi, David Veikune

Those are our three 2nd round picks...

D-Unit
12-28-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm gooood.... ;)

...Another good controversial piece that I started notched on my belt. :p

83 votes!

FlyingElvis
12-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Awesome. Nice bump, glad I check post dates.

K, off to vote! :D

NY+Giants=NYG
12-28-2009, 02:07 PM
Yeah I think so. Also depends on what system he is in. But I think he has showed what he can do. If he can progress next year, then his value goes up even more.

D-Unit
12-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Miles Austin > Brian Robiskie, Mohammad Massaquoi, David Veikune

Those are our three 2nd round picks...
Well, Jerry managed to screw it up by giving away a 1st and 3rd for Roy Williams. LOL.

D-Unit
12-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Yeah I think so. Also depends on what system he is in. But I think he has showed what he can do. If he can progress next year, then his value goes up even more.
He's a perfect WCO WR.

PoopSandwich
12-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Well, Jerry managed to screw it up by giving away a 1st and 3rd for Roy Williams. LOL.

Maybe you guys can sign Braylon when the Jets let him walk after this season and resurrect his career :P

Matthew Jones
12-28-2009, 02:41 PM
I'd consider giving up a mid-late second rounder for Austin. He's only 25 and already a tall, fast wide receiver with nice production. If you look at most wide receivers that get picked in the second round, it's pretty hit-or-miss. For every DeSean Jackson there's a Limas Sweed. You could take a chance on a player hoping he'll turn into a nice weapon for your offense and grab 75 passes a year for 15+ yards per catch, or you could take another young player who's done it before.

D-Unit
12-28-2009, 02:52 PM
At this rate, I bet the forum surpasses the 73 "No" votes by the end of the week. :D

EvilMonkey
12-28-2009, 02:57 PM
At this rate, I bet the forum surpasses the 73 "No" votes by the end of the week. :D

i made it 74 just to make your prophecy come true

MetSox17
12-28-2009, 02:59 PM
I love public polls :p. Also, we may have given up a 1st and a 3rd for Roy Williams, but we got Miles Austin for absolutely nothing, so i think it evens out. :D

NY+Giants=NYG
12-28-2009, 03:00 PM
He's a perfect WCO WR.

Not sure, I think he can do well in other systems. Depends on what concepts they run their in offense. From what I seen he can run fade, screens, curls, hooks, and Z or X cross. But again, I want to see him in a different system and continue to do well. Otherwise you can possible get a Cutler situation. Take a guy, have him in a different system, and watch things fall apart. I think he is a perfect fit for the Dallas system. I am actually interested in seeing him develop and progress some more.

scottyboy
12-28-2009, 03:15 PM
I said not at that time since he hasn't shown anything. So really, I was right. Now, obviously I'd strongly consider it

Bosanac01
12-28-2009, 03:21 PM
IDK how 80% of voters thinks Miles Austin is not worth a 2nd rounder.

he's only 25 right now, which is like an older rookie. The guy has amazing numbers. You really think you can get a WR is the second round that has better or even equal production in the NFL? That's just silly.

Sniper
12-28-2009, 03:24 PM
IDK how 80% of voters thinks Miles Austin is not worth a 2nd rounder.

This was started on April 13th. The voting was 71-2 in favor of no before the season, and since I bumped it, people are voting yes.

fenikz
12-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Cardinals couldn't even get a offer of a 2nd rounder for Boldin why would anyone even give it up for Austin

oops didnt realize how old this thread was

Smooth Criminal
12-28-2009, 03:27 PM
I'd give a 2nd rounder in a second. Just look at his production this season.

Steelers spent 2nd rounder on Limas Sweed. I know who I'd rather have.

EDIT: I didn't notice this was an old thread.

Bosanac01
12-28-2009, 03:28 PM
This was started on April 13th. The voting was 71-2 in favor of no before the season, and since I bumped it, people are voting yes.

Wow that really that makes me looks stupid, I thought it was recent. That clears up a lot of confusion, and makes a lot of people look bad. Anyways, he wasn't worth a 2nd rounder in April, no way. He's a first now though.

Supporting Caste
12-28-2009, 03:31 PM
I said not at that time since he hasn't shown anything. So really, I was right. Now, obviously I'd strongly consider it

HAHAAHHA

You'd CONSIDER IT? The guy would demand a top 10 pick right now.

And the Pats fan saying he's worth a mid-to-late 2nd?! LOLOLOL

YOU GUYS

COME ON

And SB, once again you're guilty of being an amazingly inept logician.

Chucky
12-28-2009, 03:33 PM
HAHAAHHA

TOP 10?

And the Cowboys fan saying he's worth a top 10 pick right now?! LOLOLOL

YOU

COME ON

only Randy Moss was worth a top 10 pick. Not Miles ******* Austin

Shahin
12-28-2009, 03:40 PM
Cardinals couldn't even get a offer of a 2nd rounder for Boldin why would anyone even give it up for Austin

oops didnt realize how old this thread was

i'd take Boldin over Austin right now.

Supporting Caste
12-28-2009, 03:44 PM
HAHAAHHA

TOP 10?

And the Cowboys fan saying he's worth a top 10 pick right now?! LOLOLOL

YOU

COME ON

only Randy Moss was worth a top 10 pick. Not Miles ******* Austin

Right, because a 6-3, 215-pounder who runs great routes, is the best in the league at running after the catch and can do everything well by age 25 isn't what teams hope to get from a top 10 WR pick.

LOLOLOLOL

Supporting Caste
12-28-2009, 03:45 PM
i'd take Boldin over Austin right now.

LAWL! No you wouldn't.

Chucky
12-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Right, because a 6-3, 215-pounder who runs great routes, is the best in the league at running after the catch and can do everything well by age 25 isn't what teams hope to get from a top 10 WR pick.

LOLOLOLOL

Are you equating Randy Moss on the Vikings to Miles Austin?

LOLOLOLOL

Supporting Caste
12-28-2009, 03:49 PM
Are you equating Randy Moss on the Vikings to Miles Austin?

LOLOLOLOL

To quote njx, that's an intriguing strawman.

Me: Austin is worth a top ten pick.

You: YOU SAID AUSTIN IS AS GOOD AS RANDY MOSS AT THE PEAK OF HIS CAREER

Carry on, genius. (LOLOLOLOLOLOLOOOOOOOOOL)

Consider this: here are Austin's numbers since his first start.

69 catches, 1,149 yards and 10 touchdowns

If those numbers extended 16 games, he would project to:

100 catches, 1,671 yards and 15 touchdowns

That is Randy Moss-like, now that you mention it, guy.

Sniper
12-28-2009, 03:51 PM
Christ on a cracker, Cowboys fans really love using LOL.

Chucky
12-28-2009, 03:59 PM
To quote njx, that's an intriguing strawman.

Me: Austin is worth a top ten pick.

You: YOU SAID AUSTIN IS AS GOOD AS RANDY MOSS AT THE PEAK OF HIS CAREER

Carry on, genius. (LOLOLOLOLOLOLOOOOOOOOOL)

Consider this: here are Austin's numbers since his first start.

69 catches, 1,149 yards and 10 touchdowns

If those numbers extended 16 games, he would project to:

100 catches, 1,671 yards and 15 touchdowns

That is Randy Moss-like, now that you mention it, guy.

The amount of gameplanning/extra attention that goes into stopping Randy Moss was much much much greater than Miles Austin.

The fact that you are comparing the two makes me, how can i put this:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL, LAWL,LOLOLOLOL,LAWL

Sniper
12-28-2009, 03:59 PM
Who will win this epic LOL battle?

FlyingElvis
12-28-2009, 04:00 PM
Christ on a cracker, Cowboys fans really love using LOL.

. . . and homerism as a major factor in assessing a player's value.

a top 10 pick . . . w/e

I'd take Boldin over Austin right now, too. Once Miles puts up a second year of excellent football I'll give him the edge based on age. Until then it's not even close.

Addict
12-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Who will win this epic LOL battle?

http://www.kreativekorp.com/miscpages/omgwtfbbq/roflcopter.gif

I just did.

Supporting Caste
12-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Charles: You're still engaging in the strawman fallacy. You said Randy Moss isn't as good as Austin, not me.

Funny, though, that NFL teams try to stop 100 catch, 1,600 yard, 15 TD performers in some cases but not others.

The idea almost makes me want to...lol. LOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

Sniper
12-28-2009, 04:03 PM
Charles: You're still engaging in the strawman fallacy. You said Randy Moss isn't as good as Austin, not me.

Funny, though, that NFL teams try to stop 100 catch, 1,600 yard, 15 TD performers in some cases but not others.

Austin hasn't put up 100/1,600/15.

Chucky
12-28-2009, 04:03 PM

You said: Miles Austin was worth a top 10 pick

I then referred back to the fact that the last WR to garner a top 10 pick was Randy Moss...one of the best WR's of all time who was relatively young at the time

You then failed to understand that and wouldnt stop: "LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL'ing" all over the place.

Supporting Caste
12-28-2009, 04:05 PM
Oh, so from a sample size of one you can deduce an unwavering law of nature.

loooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooool.

Memo to GMs present and future: "Just so you know, if any two or more parties were planning on a trade that would give one team a top 10 pick while the other gives a receiver, that receiver must be Randy Moss. Law of nature, you know."

D-Unit
12-28-2009, 04:06 PM
I wouldn't trade Austin for a Top 10 pick. Lose a player and create a hole just to fill another? I don't like that logic.

It sounds funny to say he's worth a Top 10 pick because they are so valuable, but what's funnier is that resigning Austin will probably be cheaper than signing a Top 10 pick. Why would I want to do that?

FlyingElvis
12-28-2009, 04:06 PM
oh it's on then?

http://9gag.com/photo/5813_540.jpg

Supporting Caste
12-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Austin hasn't put up 100/1,600/15.

The most reasonable point made by the "Austin is worth a 2nd rounder and that's IT, SERIOUSLY" crowd.

The problem is that he's 5th in league yardage despite starting since week five or whatever. Pretty big fluke, eh?

Also funny: since Austin has become the focus of defenses, he's been better than ever.

Sniper
12-28-2009, 04:09 PM
The most reasonable point made by the "Austin is worth a 2nd rounder and that's IT, SERIOUSLY" crowd.

The problem is that he's 5th in league yardage despite starting since week five or whatever. Pretty big fluke, eh?

Also funny: since Austin has become the focus of defenses, he's been better than ever.

I didn't say it was a fluke. I think Austin is really good. Point remains that he hasn't put up 100/1,600/15. At the beginning of the season, he wasn't worth a second, because he hadn't proven anything. Now? If I'm a team that needs a WR, I might give a first for him.

Chucky
12-28-2009, 04:09 PM
Oh, so from a sample size of one you can deduce an unwavering law of nature.

loooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooool.

Memo to GMs present and future: "Just so you know, if any two or more parties were planning on a trade that would give one team a top 10 pick while the other gives a receiver, that receiver must be Randy Moss. Law of nature, you know."

No, it just seems like a decent trade to get a general idea of a WR's worth. I mean sure if every GM was stupid enough to give up a 1st, 3rd and more(?) for a ****** WR like Roy Williams then Miles Austin may be able to garner something close to a top 10 pick(although still unlikely), but not every team is that stupid

Supporting Caste
12-28-2009, 04:11 PM
WHY WOULDN'T THEY, though? Do teams envision players that produce better than Austin when they draft a receiver that high?

Edit: and to everyone who says Austin "wasn't worth a 2nd": STOP IT. OF COURSE HE WAS. YOU WERE JUST WRONG.

If Austin puts up production like he has this year, he was worth a 2nd rounder to any team. Just because YOU didn't think it was going to happen doesn't mean you were right. How stupid.

Chucky
12-28-2009, 04:17 PM
WHY WOULDN'T THEY, though? Do teams envision players that produce better than Austin when they draft a receiver that high?

Edit: and to everyone who says Austin "wasn't worth a 2nd": STOP IT. OF COURSE HE WAS. YOU WERE JUST WRONG.

If Austin puts up production like he has this year, he was worth a 2nd rounder to any team. Just because YOU didn't think it was going to happen doesn't mean you were right. How stupid.

Teams put a very high value on draft picks. Why do you think players like Shaun Rogers and Kris Jenkins get traded for third round picks, or Randy Moss to NE for a 4th. Draft picks are very very high commodities in the NFL. Unlike the Cowboys not every team can afford to fill their needs through Free Agency and draft picks are very important to them.

no bare feet
12-28-2009, 04:21 PM
Right now, only two WRs are worthy of a top 10 pick. Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald.

LOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOL LLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL OLLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLLOLOLOLOL OLLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLLOLOLOLOLOLOL OLOLLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLLOLOLOL OLOLLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLLOLOLOLOLOL OLOLOLLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLLOLOL OLOLOLLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLLOLOLOLOL OLOLOLOLLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLLOL OLOLOLOLLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Addict
12-28-2009, 04:27 PM
I can't HELP but wondERING why some POSTERS INSIST on using random CAPS lock in their posts. I mean seriously IT adds nothing to your arguments and makes you LOOK like AN idiot. It really DOES do that.

REALLY.

Sniper
12-28-2009, 04:33 PM
I can't HELP but wondERING why some POSTERS INSIST on using random CAPS lock in their posts. I mean seriously IT adds nothing to your arguments and makes you LOOK like AN idiot. It really DOES do that.

REALLY.

http://stephencjensen.com//wp-content/uploads/2009/06/brick-loud-noises-b.jpg

Jvig43
12-28-2009, 04:43 PM
http://stephencjensen.com//wp-content/uploads/2009/06/brick-loud-noises-b.jpg

You hear that, bears! Your endangering the entire office!

EDIT: oh ****, and uh.... lol lol lol lol lollolololololoololo lawl lolololol MIles Austin lol lol lol lol lol lol lol.

cvv84
12-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Funny that when this topic was 1st bumped there was 3 votes for yes and now there's 23

Jvig43
12-28-2009, 04:52 PM
HAHAAHHA

This is just so awesome that it makes sense. Maybe If I was Jerry Jones would I believe Austin was worth a first, he seems to be really good at picking out talented receivers that warrant a first round pick.

herniateddisc
12-28-2009, 04:55 PM
I think the Jets would love to turn the clock back to April, 2009 and given up the second.

This is a nonsense thread. 25 year old WR averaging over 100 yards per start and 1 TD per game..... but you;d rather have Dwayne Garrett??

herniateddisc
12-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Parcells. Not Jones.

Damix
12-28-2009, 05:18 PM
At the time this poll was started he was not worth a 2nd round pick.

Now yea, but you're also going to have to dish out a huge contract to someone who has had one 3/4 amazing season.

D-Unit
12-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Teams put a very high value on draft picks. Why do you think players like Shaun Rogers and Kris Jenkins get traded for third round picks, or Randy Moss to NE for a 4th. Draft picks are very very high commodities in the NFL. Unlike the Cowboys not every team can afford to fill their needs through Free Agency and draft picks are very important to them.
Say what again? Cowboys signed Igor Olshansky, Gerald Sensabaugh and Keith Brooking. Year before, they brought in Zach Thomas. They've mostly been spending their money on guys they drafted. Don't give me the speech that they buy their players in FA.

fenikz
12-28-2009, 05:41 PM
im confused on how that helps your case

D-Unit
12-28-2009, 05:53 PM
im confused on how that helps your case
Because if the Cowboys just buy players in FA to fill needs, then what good are draft picks and why would they trade Austin even for the #1 overall pick? lol.

Supporting Caste
12-28-2009, 05:55 PM
What do you know, NFLDC forums lash out at reasoned criticisms of its previously unchallenged superstitions with nothing but ad hominem attacks.

Addict - I would take the time to explain what an 'emphasis' is, but you MIGHT be too ******* STUPID to get it, anyway.

D-Unit
12-28-2009, 05:57 PM
What do you know, NFLDC forums lash out at reasoned criticisms of its previously unchallenged superstitions with nothing but ad hominem attacks.

Addict - I would take the time to explain what an 'emphasis' is, but you MIGHT be too ******* STUPID to get it, anyway.
Are you a previously banned user? Why would you refer to this place as NFLDC?

PoopSandwich
12-28-2009, 06:04 PM
WR worth top 5 picks.

Andre Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald
Calvin Johnson
Vincent Jackson

WR Worth 6-10

Desean Jackson
Austin Miles
Roddy White
Greg Jennings

Others I would consider if it weren't for age - Randy Moss/Reggie Wayne

IMO if you want a receiver in the top 10 you will be hard pressed to find any players better than these.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-28-2009, 06:07 PM

I wasn't aware that a disagreement over a player's value in a trade counted as a superstition, or that your tendency to call out an entire forum in your posts could be considered reasonable.

Also, the internet is 78% ad hominem attacks, 21% porn, and 1% pictures of cats. Get used to it.

Addict
12-28-2009, 06:35 PM

Will that explaination include you digging into a dictionary? If it does, please check out the entries on "overkill", "eloquence", "braindead" and "jackass" while you're at it, I'm sure you'll find them very interesting.

Splat
12-28-2009, 06:37 PM
WR worth top 5 picks.
Andre Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald
Calvin Johnson
Vincent Jackson

I love me some VJ but I don't think I would give up a top five pick for him.

BlindSite
12-28-2009, 06:53 PM
I think Austin has been a better receiver this year than Williams, on that alone I think he's worth the price tag. He's got like 12 touchdowns already this year.

CC.SD
12-28-2009, 07:04 PM
I love me some VJ but I don't think I would give up a top five pick for him.

oh ho that would be quite foolish of you. Imagine what he could do if he were the focal point of an offense.

Splat
12-28-2009, 07:25 PM
oh ho that would be quite foolish of you. Imagine what he could do if he were the focal point of an offense.

That's kinda my point if you're team is picking in the top five its becuase they are a bad team VJ might not look as good with out SD's talent around him.

Monomach
12-29-2009, 08:44 AM
Right now, only two WRs are worthy of a top 10 pick. Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald.

LOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOL LLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL OLLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLLOLOLOLOL OLLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLLOLOLOLOLOLOL OLOLLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLLOLOLOL OLOLLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLLOLOLOLOLOL OLOLOLLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLLOLOL OLOLOLLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLLOLOLOLOL OLOLOLOLLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLLOL OLOLOLOLLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/4496/megatronmia.jpg

Megatron thinks you're a liar.

WR worth top 5 picks.

Andre Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald
Calvin Johnson
Vincent Jackson

WR Worth 6-10

Desean Jackson
Austin Miles
Roddy White
Greg Jennings

Others I would consider if it weren't for age - Randy Moss/Reggie Wayne

IMO if you want a receiver in the top 10 you will be hard pressed to find any players better than these.I'd take Boldin over Desean, White, and Jennings. Maybe even over Austin.

no bare feet
12-29-2009, 08:54 AM
Did the abundance of LOL's indicate that may be my list of two was too short or too long? Megatron is on that list. I apologize.

FlyingElvis
12-29-2009, 10:04 AM
Are you a previously banned user? Why would you refer to this place as NFLDC?
. . . and claim knowledge of an entire board's general response to topics . . . hmmmm . . .
I wasn't aware that a disagreement over a player's value in a trade counted as a superstition, or that your tendency to call out an entire forum in your posts could be considered reasonable.

Also, the internet is 78% ad hominem attacks, 21% porn, and 1% pictures of cats. Get used to it.

Awesomeness.

However, there has to be room in there for de-motivational posters . . . 0.5%, maybe?

CC.SD
12-29-2009, 10:18 AM
21% porn is low.

FlyingElvis
12-29-2009, 10:28 AM
21% porn is low.

I thought so, too. At least based on my content usage.

Addict
12-29-2009, 10:41 AM
21% porn is low.

as is the 1% of cat pictures.

But yeah, the porn part is probably closer to 50% than it is to 20.

bigbluedefense
12-29-2009, 11:42 AM
He's a perfect WCO WR.

Honestly, I look at him as a miniature Vincent Jackson, so I think Miles is perfect in the scheme he is in right now.

Im surprised they don't draw up more screen passes to Austin though.

Brent
12-29-2009, 01:24 PM
is the best in the league at running after the catch
Really? I bet Wes Welker and Brandon Marshall would like to disagree.

Jvig43
12-29-2009, 02:15 PM
Really? I bet Wes Welker and Brandon Marshall would like to disagree.

LOLZ what? NO! MILES AUSTIN COULD PROLLY WARRANT THE FIRST PICK IN DEH DRAFT! WHO EVER STARTED DIS THREAD ASKING FOR A SECOND IS DUMB, ANYTHNG LESS THEN ALL OF A TEAMS DRAFT PICKS WOULD BE DUMB. LOLZZZZZZ CAPS LOLS

PoopSandwich
12-29-2009, 02:18 PM
I'd take Boldin over Desean, White, and Jennings. Maybe even over Austin.

I forgot Brandon Marshall too :X

They were just quick off the top of my head I forgot some of em.

Monomach
12-29-2009, 02:48 PM
I forgot Brandon Marshall too :X

They were just quick off the top of my head I forgot some of em.

I thought you left Marshall off because of fears he'd end up living next to Plaxico.

scottyboy
12-29-2009, 03:04 PM
HAHAAHHA

And the Pats fan saying he's worth a mid-to-late 2nd?! LOLOLOL

YOU GUYS

COME ON

And SB, once again you're guilty of being an amazingly inept logician.

Well, there's this thing called doing it in more than just one season.
Also, it depends on my team. I'm running the Giants, there's no way in hell I give a 2nd for him.

top 10? really... like, you're serious. Are you sure you're not Ashton Kutcher and I'm on punked?

there's absolutely no way I can express the amount of fail in this post if that top 10 thing is serious. It would take a facepalm of epic proportions.

herniateddisc
12-29-2009, 05:56 PM
love the kid, have since he was at monmouth(I live in monmouth) but he has not proved at all enough to be worth a 2nd rounder

Huh? U kiddin right?

yo123
12-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Huh? U kiddin right?

Take another look at the date of that post.

NotRickJames
12-29-2009, 08:35 PM
He's young, still fresh and an amazing talent. He's easily worth a second rounder.

scottyboy
12-29-2009, 11:38 PM
Huh? U kiddin right?

...I...is it really that hard for people to read dates of posts? My lord, this was what? All the way back in March? someone call CJ for the facepalm pictures.

Smokey Joe
12-29-2009, 11:53 PM
...I...is it really that hard for people to read dates of posts? My lord, this was what? All the way back in March? someone call CJ for the facepalm pictures.
well, you were wrong back then too ;)

shane_man
12-30-2009, 08:06 AM
LOLZ what? NO! MILES AUSTIN COULD PROLLY WARRANT THE FIRST PICK IN DEH DRAFT! WHO EVER STARTED DIS THREAD ASKING FOR A SECOND IS DUMB, ANYTHNG LESS THEN ALL OF A TEAMS DRAFT PICKS WOULD BE DUMB. LOLZZZZZZ CAPS LOLS

Coming at this from another angle. I think Miles Austin is so valuable to the Cowboys now that a team could offer an entire draft and be denied. So while he may not be worth a top 10, top 5... whatever. To the Cowboys he would be untouchable.

Would that be a fair assumption?

Gay Ork Wang
12-30-2009, 08:12 AM
Coming at this from another angle. I think Miles Austin is so valuable to the Cowboys now that a team could offer an entire draft and be denied. So while he may not be worth a top 10, top 5... whatever. To the Cowboys he would be untouchable.

i could definitely see that. i wouldnt offer more than a late 2nd but as the cowboys id want at least a first rounder if not more

Jvig43
12-30-2009, 11:00 AM

Not really. The cowboys would be stupid to deny a team all of its draft picks for almost any player, let alone Miles Austin. And yes I get the other angle that he is important to Dallas, hes playing very well for all 3/4s of this season so far, but thats not the only angle you look at. Some teams might believe he is a second, no team looks at him as a first, most not even a second, but my point is, being important to the cowboys doesnt mean teams are going to believe he is worth whatever it is cowboy fans believe he is worth. Most teams have much more talented and proven receivers than Austin.

neko4
12-30-2009, 02:09 PM
I think the lesson we can all learn is that value (trading value) is not a set amount. It changes from team to team and situation to situation. For example, if the Vikings were trying to trade Brett Favre to the Colts (Which ofcourse wouldnt happen), the Colts probably wouldnt offer more than a 6th or 7th round pick, even if the Vikings are demaning a 1st or 2nd. But if Peyton Manning somehow went down with an injury, Favre's value might shoot up several rounds or even include players in the trade.
In this situation, Miles Austin is probably worthless to the Patriots or Packers, but to say the Seattle Seahawks he is probably worth a 1st or 2nd round pick.

Monomach
12-30-2009, 03:07 PM
So Miles is a RFA again this year if no CBA is done. I predict Jerry gives him a pretty big 5 or 6 year contract to keep him happy, rather than place the highest tender on him.

CC.SD
12-30-2009, 03:19 PM

For a whole draft they would ship out Romo. No player is worth a second draft. Mostly because no team is dumb enough to offer it. Except the Saints. Weirdos.

Splat
12-30-2009, 03:29 PM
For a whole draft they would ship out Romo. No player is worth a second draft. Mostly because no team is dumb enough to offer it. Except the Saints and Vikings.

Fixed that for you.

Monomach
12-30-2009, 03:30 PM
For a whole draft they would ship out Romo. No player is worth a second draft. Mostly because no team is dumb enough to offer it. Except the Saints. Weirdos.

Depends on the draft. I'm sure they'd turn down the Bears next draft for Austin. :D

CC.SD
12-30-2009, 04:01 PM
Depends on the draft. I'm sure they'd turn down the Bears next draft for Austin. :D

Yah well if they accepted it'd be like paying full price for a prostitute with no limbs.

prock
12-30-2009, 05:38 PM

LOLOLOLOL

miles austin is not the best at anything in the league.

herniateddisc
12-30-2009, 09:04 PM

Face palm? You where the same person who berated me after week 2 when I told you the GMen where in deep trouble cuz the D stunk. Guess what ....

Even in March he was worth a second if that makes you feel better.

Sniper
12-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Even in March he was worth a second

Based on what?

Jvig43
12-30-2009, 09:54 PM
Based on what?

The opinion of a cowboys fan :rolleyes:

scottyboy
12-30-2009, 10:28 PM
Face palm? You where the same person who berated me after week 2 when I told you the GMen where in deep trouble cuz the D stunk. Guess what ....

Even in March he was worth a second if that makes you feel better.

congrats, you got something correct! the giants D blows. shall I get you some scratch and sniff stickers?
and really? his 18 catches, around 350 yards, 3 TD's in 37 games is worth a 2nd rounder? damn, and the Giants only got Rueben Droughns for Tim Carter.

oh my, that's right, in there first 3 years Tim Carter and Miles Austin have very similar stats.

herniateddisc
01-02-2010, 09:20 AM
congrats, you got something correct! the giants D blows. shall I get you some scratch and sniff stickers?
and really? his 18 catches, around 350 yards, 3 TD's in 37 games is worth a 2nd rounder? damn, and the Giants only got Rueben Droughns for Tim Carter.

oh my, that's right, in there first 3 years Tim Carter and Miles Austin have very similar stats.

Scotty,

His 18 catches was worth a Second b/c if you watched any of the time he played, he made a difference.

Austin was caught int he TO/Wade/Jerrah Jones political brawl which explains why it took injuries for him to see the field.

But individuals, like me, saw "IT" long ago. Which is why the Jets even entertained it and REGRET not signing him.

People always look backward to project forward ... but you need to project progress for YOUNG guys and REGRESSION for old guys.

Nothing ever stays the same and all the "Draft Pick" is --- is a forecast for change.

scottyboy
01-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Scotty,

His 18 catches was worth a Second b/c if you watched any of the time he played, he made a difference.

Austin was caught int he TO/Wade/Jerrah Jones political brawl which explains why it took injuries for him to see the field.

But individuals, like me, saw "IT" long ago. Which is why the Jets even entertained it and REGRET not signing him.

People always look backward to project forward ... but you need to project progress for YOUNG guys and REGRESSION for old guys.

Nothing ever stays the same and all the "Draft Pick" is --- is a forecast for change.

so 18 catches make a huge difference over a 3 year span? news to me.
And the "It" factor? Oh come on, everyone sees the different "IT" factor in certain players. Giants fans saw it in Tim Carter. Yea, that worked.
Project young guys? Yea, there's this novel thing, called the draft, where teams project progress for young guys they choose. It's reall pretty kewl.

Still, all you said here is you saw the IT factor, which made an average of 6 catches a season worth a 2nd rounder for him. And that Jerrah is an idiot, which 99% already knew.
Again, do this for more than one season, and you'll earn some talk of being worth a high draft pick.

thebow305
01-02-2010, 11:10 AM
The real question here is, is Austin worth a 1st and 3rd? Because that will probably be the tender the "Boys" place on him this offseason.

And will anyone be willing to pay that? Maybe The Tuna?

Splat
01-02-2010, 11:15 AM
The real question here is, is Austin worth a 1st and 3rd? Because that will probably be the tender the "Boys" place on him this offseason.

I wouldn't give up a first and third plus a big deal, there has been to many WR's that have had one huge year then never matched that kinda play.

Jvig43
01-02-2010, 02:08 PM

And will anyone be willing to pay that? Maybe The Tuna?

No way. If I were going to give out a first for a WR itd be to someone worth it, and put up numbers for more than one season. Brandon Marshall, Boldin, Calvin, etc... Miles Austin isnt going to go to a team like Kansas city or the browns and do anything spectacular. Yet guys like Marshall and Calvin are doing just that without the greatest of Qbs, or supporting cast, and doing it consistently. Now to jump into scottyboys argument with herniateddiasc, KNEW he was going to be worth this much from the "it" factor? please, he made a difference with his 18 catches, 3 tds in three years with the cowboys? please elaborate this difference he made, did he help them make the playoffs? win a playoff game? I mean Reche caldwell put up better numbers in one year then he did in three, but i mean he has the "it" factor, teams should be throwing draft picks at him :rolleyes:

D-Unit
01-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Let's just end this now by saying Miles Austin isn't going anywhere.

herniateddisc
01-02-2010, 06:54 PM
No way. If I were going to give out a first for a WR itd be to someone worth it, and put up numbers for more than one season. Brandon Marshall, Boldin, Calvin, etc... Miles Austin isnt going to go to a team like Kansas city or the browns and do anything spectacular. Yet guys like Marshall and Calvin are doing just that without the greatest of Qbs, or supporting cast, and doing it consistently. Now to jump into scottyboys argument with herniateddiasc, KNEW he was going to be worth this much from the "it" factor? please, he made a difference with his 18 catches, 3 tds in three years with the cowboys? please elaborate this difference he made, did he help them make the playoffs? win a playoff game? I mean Reche caldwell put up better numbers in one year then he did in three, but i mean he has the "it" factor, teams should be throwing draft picks at him :rolleyes:

Every time he aught the ball it looked like the BD were scrambling to catch up to him. There were no easy tackles. Ask Green Bay about Miles Austin and the promise he showed.

And I am talking Year 2 onward. Not rookie.

Caddy
01-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Let's just end this now by saying Miles Austin isn't going anywhere.

^^

The Cowboys aren't a stupid team.. Assuming the don't resign him to a long term deal, he'll be getting the top tender and force a team to cough up a 1st and 3rd.

diesel
01-03-2010, 12:05 AM
The main problem with Miles Austin was his injury concern. It seems like he was always injured in some way or the other. Now that he is healthy and watching the way he plays and how much fun he is having out there, I don't really think this is a one time thing. On the other hand I had no problems then, and I don't now with trading Martellus Bennet to the Browns...or was it the Bengals? Oh well...