PDA

View Full Version : What to do in the draft?

staubach41
04-13-2009, 03:37 PM
What would you like to see the Bengals do in the draft? With the recent signing of Tank Johnson, Raji is not as necessary as he might have been. So now stands the question, move up for a left tackle, stay and take the best available player or trade back to pick up extra picks?

Bengals78
04-13-2009, 04:16 PM
I would like to see a trade to get more picks. Either trade six away to get more or Ocho. One of the two. (maybe both)

PalmerToCJ
04-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Ideally...

At 6: Monroe or Jason Smith if available

Trade back to early-mid teens, take either Andre Smith or Oher.

Most importantly, we MUST get one of the solid Centers. It's huge for next season.

Why the Bengals
04-13-2009, 07:38 PM
If they bengals stayed and picked up Andre Smith and than in the second rd got mack, unger, wood I would finally believe the Gods are with us.
But with that it probably will work out that way Smith will be arrested 2 days after the draft and our new center will get injured in the pre-season. We never get lucky..... Please let 09 be the begining of the times of chance for the Bengals

hobbes2053
04-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Most importantly, we MUST get one of the solid Centers. It's huge for next season.

This is indeed a must for the draft. If we don't go after any of top three Cs, we might as well consider this draft a fail. I would rank C as high of a need as OT. It's that important IMO.

themaninblack
04-13-2009, 11:44 PM
Definitely need the Center more than anything. At 6 I could see a variety of different selections and I think Andre Smith is probably the best for us even with his 'troubles'. We are set at LT(with AC) in my mind and we could pick Smith and make him our starting RT for years. If they aren't confident in Smith then I would like to see Everette Brown or Brian Orakpo be the pick. If we get lucky and one of the tackles or Aaron Curry falls then we should def take one of them though.

Pat Sims 90
04-14-2009, 01:19 AM
If we get Andre Smith i will say Hey there goes 20 million dollars down the toilet and then we will again be made fun of for drafting a huge bust would rather have us reach for Oher at #6 then take Andre Smith.

SC Igniter
04-14-2009, 05:56 AM
Realistically, considering our track record of not being that active in trading picks on draft day, we will be at #6. While I appreciate everyone's concerns about Andre Smith, this will be our pick unless someone else falls into our lap. The only one outside a OT that I would consider at #6 is Orakpo/Curry and both of these studs should be gone by our pick. No on Crabtree. If I was in Vegas, set the odds around 80% on OT for our 1st pick.

I think we have a consensus that C is a must at #2. Thats 100%!

I really see our club getting much better with the right picks + a healthy Palmer.

hobbes2053
04-14-2009, 07:49 AM
At first, I was hesitant toward taking A. Smith, but now that I've seen more tape on him, I would love to have him here. Yes, there are some maturity/character issues, but nothing terrifying. The fact is that he absolutely destroys people, especially in the run. He would be a huge addition to our extremely thin OL and could be most likely play anywhere but C. I'm all for taking him at 6.

And while taking Crabtree would instantly make our WR corp one of the, if not the, best in the league, it won't matter because we will still have no line to protect Carson.

As if it hasn't already been said enough, C is just as important as OT in my book. It is an absolute must.

themaninblack
04-14-2009, 09:11 AM
If we get Andre Smith i will say Hey there goes 20 million dollars down the toilet and then we will again be made fun of for drafting a huge bust would rather have us reach for Oher at #6 then take Andre Smith.

Your acting as though Oher isn't a risk at all? I'd say he has some pretty similar question marks as well.

Bengals78
04-14-2009, 11:07 AM
Your acting as though Oher isn't a risk at all? I'd say he has some pretty similar question marks as well.

I would say that Oher is possibly more of a risk. While it makes for a great story, his learning disability has to be a big flag for some teams. We need a guy who can step in and play, he might be a guy who needs more time to digest playbooks.

Pat Sims 90
04-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Actually i would rather have us take Crabtree Moreno Wells Orkapo Maybin Brown over Smith or Oher dont really like either Oher or Smith but if we had to take one i would go with Oher just because i dont want to get another J Johnson someone one that cant stay in shape and is not committed to football

hobbes2053
04-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Actually i would rather have us take Crabtree Moreno Wells Orkapo Maybin Brown over Smith or Oher dont really like either Oher or Smith but if we had to take one i would go with Oher just because i dont want to get another J Johnson someone one that cant stay in shape and is not committed to football

Saying that Smith isn't committed to football is a ridiculous statement. Personally, I think things got blown way out of proportion with his shenanigans this off-season and people are reading too much into them.

As an aside, I have no idea where your sentences begin/end.

Bengals78
04-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Saying that Smith isn't committed to football is a ridiculous statement. Personally, I think things got blown way out of proportion with his shenanigans this off-season and people are reading too much into them.

As an aside, I have no idea where your sentences begin/end.

I have no idea why he listed 5 guys we better not touch at 6. Crabtree, Wells, Moreno, Maybin and Brown

hobbes2053
04-14-2009, 04:18 PM
I have no idea why he listed 5 guys we better not touch at 6. Crabtree, Wells, Moreno, Maybin and Brown

No one out of those 5, except Crabtree, warrants being picked at 6. And if we take Crabtree, I'll kill myself.

Bengals78
04-14-2009, 06:32 PM
Tell you what, Im not sure about your religious beliefs but mine say I cant kill myself and still get to the promised land. So how about we help eachother out if we draft Crabtree lol

themaninblack
04-14-2009, 07:47 PM
We have a weak defensive line?

SC Igniter
04-14-2009, 09:25 PM
I would love to spend the weekend in the Bengal's room to hear all what goes on during draft day.

Because of all the red flags associated with Andre, you can bet they are doing a complete job with their due diligence on him. We know from the reporting that they have a spent a lot of time with him so as i said before, my bet is on the big Bama boy at #6.

Bengals78
04-14-2009, 10:07 PM
I would love to spend the weekend in the Bengal's room to hear all what goes on during draft day.

Because of all the red flags associated with Andre, you can bet they are doing a complete job with their due diligence on him. We know from the reporting that they have a spent a lot of time with him so as i said before, my bet is on the big Bama boy at #6.

Which I think his red flags can be worked around if you put him around quality guys (Whitworth and Williams need to mentor this kid.)

hobbes2053
04-14-2009, 11:09 PM
Which I think his red flags can be worked around if you put him around quality guys (Whitworth and Williams need to mentor this kid.)

His red flags really aren't anything to be worried about IMO. If we surround with upstanding guys like you mentioned, it will quickly evolve into a non-issue. As of right now, I'm hoping he's our pick simply because of what he can do in the run game. He may not be the "answer" at LT, but put him on the right side with Collins on the left, and we ought to be set for a long while.

Bengals78
04-15-2009, 02:07 PM
People who say you dont draft a RT in the first forget about Willie. We need to get our run game back and Andre is nothing but a run blocking force. Give me him and Williams on the right side and then Power Dive between RG and RT 5 yards.

Babylon
04-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Any word how the Connor Barwin workout went yesterday? He's probably somewhere between the Bengals 1st 2 picks so he might be out of reach but he'd play real well in Ohio.

Bengals78
04-15-2009, 03:00 PM
I havent heard much about it. Personally, if we get back into the 1st and get Mack or get another 2nd and get Wood, I would love to take Barwin at 38.

Babylon
04-15-2009, 03:44 PM
I havent heard much about it. Personally, if we get back into the 1st and get Mack or get another 2nd and get Wood, I would love to take Barwin at 38.

Personally i think the centers will be there at 38 but that's a differant subject. Barwin would probably project better to a 3-4 OLB but i can see where he could play DE, he's at 255 now and could easily add some lbs. You guys do play a 4-3 right?

hobbes2053
04-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Personally i think the centers will be there at 38 but that's a differant subject. Barwin would probably project better to a 3-4 OLB but i can see where he could play DE, he's at 255 now and could easily add some lbs. You guys do play a 4-3 right?

We are indeed a 4-3 defense, with some 3-4 packages in place if I'm not mistaken. Barwin would be a great piece to add to the table, but only if we can get an extra pick by way of a trade. IMO, C is more important than going after Barwin.

rickscott
04-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Ideally...

At 6: Monroe or Jason Smith if available

Trade back to early-mid teens, take either Andre Smith or Oher.

I'm with you but I honestly think our thoughts of a Center in the first 4 rounds of this draft are a pipedream. I think they are satisfied with mediocrity at the Center position and we'll have that with Santucci or Cook. I hope I'm wrong. Although I want an OT with the first pick at 6, if Monroe and Smith are gones, I'd like to see a selection of Maclin and the trade of Chad which results in Oher later in Rd 1.

StripedWalrus
04-15-2009, 09:46 PM
I think its hilarious now that Scott put Ellerbe in the third comp for Bengals that everyone is putting him in the third comp for the Bengals. Personally I want Mike Mickens at the Third comp spot. Though Ellerbe would be nice as well.

Pat Sims 90
04-16-2009, 01:37 AM
With Bills looking to trade Jason Peters give them 6th pick for him He is a proven Tackle Move him to LT and Put Collins at RT then Trade Chad for a 1st round or 2nd round pick and i will drive him to the airport for them i will even buy the plane ticket to get him out of here.

StripedWalrus
04-16-2009, 09:38 AM
With Bills looking to trade Jason Peters give them 6th pick for him He is a proven Tackle Move him to LT and Put Collins at RT then Trade Chad for a 1st round or 2nd round pick and i will drive him to the airport for them i will even buy the plane ticket to get him out of here.

I would rather have A smith than Peters. Peters isnt proven...he had a down year and I honestly think his one good year was just a fluke. Plus I think he would be trouble anyway.

Chad will get moved on Draft day if he even gets moved. Best bet is the top of the 1st round or Bottom of the second....thinking between Iggles, Giants and Raiders.

themaninblack
04-16-2009, 10:58 AM
So let me get this straight, you want to get Jason Peters who gave up plenty of sacks last year for our number 6 pick?

SC Igniter
04-16-2009, 05:54 PM
I could live with Scott's mock draft. However, would prefer a RB at the 70th pick verses the CB that he has, one can argue both ways on which is the bigger need, i just think the insurance policy need in the backfield is more pressing. If McCoy is still on the board, i would pull the trigger on him very quickly. I'm no expert but think we will go after the BPA at this pick to fill either pass rusher, RB or CB slot. My wish would be RB if McCoy or Kruger/Sidbury at DE or Wright's CB Washington selection if any of them are there. Does this make sense? I think this is a pretty important pick for us.

I like Ellerbe but if I had a chance would go with Brinkley at that spot - and he might be available at our 98th pick. We need a bad ass to stack up to the rushers in our division and believe me Brinkley fits this description.

lastly - I am really going to miss Madden. Simply the best.

themaninblack
04-16-2009, 07:41 PM
I really like the Ellerbe pick and I am surprised he is being considered that early from what I have been hearing. Not that I don't think he is deserving, but it just seemed like he was being overlooked. Ellerbe or Brinkley would be great adds IMO.

Bengals78
04-16-2009, 08:24 PM
If I had my choice, I would want Brinkley and Asher Allen. (For ILB and CB). But I wouldnt be upset with Ellerbe

StripedWalrus
04-17-2009, 03:48 PM
If I had my choice, I would want Brinkley and Asher Allen. (For ILB and CB). But I wouldnt be upset with Ellerbe

I have always been on the Beckwith train myself. He has been flying around the charts though, going up and down. Sometimes he is valued in the late 1st to late 2nd area and others he seeps in the 4th. Same has been Going on with brinkly and Ellerbe. Though not to the extent of Late First. They have been flirting with early third to even down to 5th and 6th rounds in some mock drafts. Its really interesting.