PDA

View Full Version : Rams Draft in Final Forum Mock

jnew76
04-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Rockio and I have worked on this cooperatively, and I wanted to see what you all thought.

#2 - Jason Smith - OT - Baylor (#3 in Scott's final rankings)
#35 - Darius Butler - CB - UCONN (#25 in Scott's final rankings)
#66 - Jasper Brinkley - MLB - South Carolina (#92 in Scott's final Rankings)
#103 - Kyle Moore - DE - USC (#109 in Scott's final rankings)
#160 - Kenny McKinley - WR - South Carolina (#145 in Scott's final rankings)
#196 - Bernard Scott - WR - Abilene Christian (#233 in Scott's final rankings)
#211 - Corvey Irvin - DT - Georgia (#136 in Scott's final rankings)

Had the opportunity to take James Laurinaitis at #35, but we had some scheduling conflicts and missed our pick... jbond took Darius Butler for us and he would have been the #1 guy left on my big board, so I really like the value there. Picking up Brinkley in the 3rd makes missing on JL in round 2 a little easier.

Tried to trade for Braylon Edwards, but the cost was prohibitive. Had a trade made for Chris Chambers in exchange for pick #103 but it got nixed at the last minute.

Looking to address OL/DL/TE depth with the last pick in the draft.

rockio42
04-14-2009, 12:08 PM
I wanted to throw my input on the draft...

On the pick of Jason Smith, we decided to go with over Monroe because there are reports saying that the Rams love his run-blocking and believe that the only quality Monroe has over Smith in expierience...

On the second rounder, a friend of mine aunt died so there was a problem with no one around, I feel that a guy like Butler and CB in general could wait but the value there is nice and gives us a big playmaker opposite our big man in Bartell

In the third Brinkley gives us a thumper MLB next to Tinoisamoa and Witherspoon and with a big guy in the middle it should free up Carriker to play more of a one gap penatrating style where he can use the quickness and speed in the middle that we drafted him for.

In the 4th we were looking at Brandon Tate and thought he would fall (main reason there was no trade) but he was taken the pick before ours and we felt that Moore should fit great in the same type of role as Justin Tuck did with Spags (great at setting the edge at LE and can play UT on passing downs) and gives us some depth on the DL that we are sorely lacking

In the 5th we NEEDED to grab a WR and KcKinley was one of the taller guys out there so jnew made a great pick with McKinley and as he said we expect to draft a combo of OL/DL/RB/TE depth in the 6th and 7th rounds

We tried to get some trades going but no one wanted to move up to #2 and after that guys started falling into our laps. Also the value offered for guys like Alex Barron didn't fit what we thought he was worth...

tfry
04-14-2009, 02:25 PM
So our wideouts we be heading into the season:

Avery, Burton, Stanley, Robinson, and McKinley...WOW!

No way we can afford to pass on receiver in the 2nd round. Just curious, but how would we score points with 9 defenders waiting for Sjax? Other than the fact you ignored receiver, I love it.

nfrillman
04-23-2009, 04:00 PM
So our wideouts we be heading into the season:

Avery, Burton, Stanley, Robinson, and McKinley...WOW!

No way we can afford to pass on receiver in the 2nd round. Just curious, but how would we score points with 9 defenders waiting for Sjax? Other than the fact you ignored receiver, I love it.

Well, this Rams team is going to be a far cry from the Greatest Show. It will be a totally different style. Don't get me wrong, I think we could use a WR. I just don't think it's absolutely crucial, especially considering this building process isn't a 1 year plan. We aren't winning the Super Bowl next year, we just need to get going that direction. The passing game just needs to be adequate. If the running game is smashmouth and successful it will take a lot of pressure and playing time off the defense, help to stop D's from pinning their ears back going after the QB, and allow the passing game to be a little more conservative in both the number and aggressiveness of passes. It should also open up the play action pass.

holt_bruce81
04-23-2009, 08:43 PM
I wanted to throw my input on the draft...

On the pick of Jason Smith, we decided to go with over Monroe because there are reports saying that the Rams love his run-blocking and believe that the only quality Monroe has over Smith in expierience...

On the second rounder, a friend of mine aunt died so there was a problem with no one around, I feel that a guy like Butler and CB in general could wait but the value there is nice and gives us a big playmaker opposite our big man in Bartell

In the third Brinkley gives us a thumper MLB next to Tinoisamoa and Witherspoon and with a big guy in the middle it should free up Carriker to play more of a one gap penatrating style where he can use the quickness and speed in the middle that we drafted him for.

In the 4th we were looking at Brandon Tate and thought he would fall (main reason there was no trade) but he was taken the pick before ours and we felt that Moore should fit great in the same type of role as Justin Tuck did with Spags (great at setting the edge at LE and can play UT on passing downs) and gives us some depth on the DL that we are sorely lacking

In the 5th we NEEDED to grab a WR and KcKinley was one of the taller guys out there so jnew made a great pick with McKinley and as he said we expect to draft a combo of OL/DL/RB/TE depth in the 6th and 7th rounds

We tried to get some trades going but no one wanted to move up to #2 and after that guys started falling into our laps. Also the value offered for guys like Alex Barron didn't fit what we thought he was worth...

Brinkley is not a good fit in the 4-3.

rockio42
04-23-2009, 09:29 PM
Brinkley is not a good fit in the 4-3.

See, I've seen you have been big against him being in the 4-3 but I wonder why...sure he is a big guy (down to around 255-260 from the 270) but I think that even with being a slight liability in coverage I would much rather have a thumper like him then a smaller guy like JL or McRath in the middle...

holt_bruce81
04-24-2009, 12:34 AM
See, I've seen you have been big against him being in the 4-3 but I wonder why...sure he is a big guy (down to around 255-260 from the 270) but I think that even with being a slight liability in coverage I would much rather have a thumper like him then a smaller guy like JL or McRath in the middle...

Spags MLB in New York 6'1 238

Flajole MLB in Carolina 6'0 237

I'm just sayin

rockio42
04-24-2009, 07:47 AM
Spags MLB in New York 6'1 238

Flajole MLB in Carolina 6'0 237

I'm just sayin

What about Jeremiah Trotter in Philly when he was the LB's coach?? 6'1 262...

nfrillman
04-24-2009, 03:56 PM

I don't know a lot about Brinkley, but I've seen this MLB with coverage liability plan before. It was called Chris Claiborne and it translated to him not being on the field.