PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Lions, Stafford close to a contract?

P-L
04-14-2009, 11:57 AM
I was listening to the radio (97.1) on the way back from class and Tony Ortiz reported that Matthew Stafford is telling friends and former teammates that the Lions will select him #1 overall and they are close on a contract which will pay him close to $40 million in guaranteed.

georgiafan
04-14-2009, 12:28 PM
It makes alot of sense to get him locked up before the draft. Even if you aren't a fan of Stafford getting him locked up and signed a week before the draft can allow the front office and Stafford to focus on more important things.

cdf_2108
04-14-2009, 12:32 PM
if that's true, pretty unprofessional of stafford to leak that information

Addict
04-14-2009, 12:34 PM
$40 million dollars... gulp.

He'd better not bust.

Calvin & Kevin
04-14-2009, 12:44 PM
This story came from another site run by a dude named Florio (I don't know if I'm allowed to mention it by name), and the article had no quotes, specifics or documentation. So I'd take this with a heavy heavy grain of salt.

Even if there's some element of truth to it, there are lots of possible things that could make it different than it sounds like. The agent could be feeding Stafford hopeful numbers and telling him what he's aiming for. The "guaranteed money" numbers could be based on bonuses years down the road and other contract trickery to make it seem bigger than it is. Stafford could have told only a couple of good friends on the team how things are going rather than bragging all over the place.

No way I take this story at face value.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
04-14-2009, 12:53 PM
$40 million dollars... gulp.

He'd better not bust.

Ehhh, Alex Smith restructured. I'm not worried about it. We're spending big bucks this year or next year on QB probably anyways.

DoWnThEfiElD
04-14-2009, 01:18 PM
It's not my money... Coach him up...

P-L
04-14-2009, 01:43 PM
if that's true, pretty unprofessional of stafford to leak that information
It's unprofessional to tell your friends that you're about to sign a contract? It's not like he went to the media and told them.

Addict
04-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Ehhh, Alex Smith restructured. I'm not worried about it. We're spending big bucks this year or next year on QB probably anyways.

I know. Still, it's a lot of money. Necessary, but a lot.

P-L
04-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Yeah, but I believe the Lions are still pretty far under the cap and as of now, we're still in for an uncapped season coming up.

WMD
04-14-2009, 02:26 PM
$40 Million guaranteed.. yowza!

Still good to get him signed, if this is all true.

bored of education
04-14-2009, 02:27 PM
Lions will be my 4th favorite team if they land him. Plus you guys got P-L and WMD as fans..you may sneak into the number 3 spot.

SINCE1978
04-14-2009, 06:29 PM
All hail the 40 million dollar savior ... wow I hope you have a short memory, thick skin and the ability to avoid a blindside rush ... b/c it's coming rook! The expectations for success have never been higher in the D Matt Stafford. Welcome, do not trip over Joey Harrington's body.

WMD
04-14-2009, 09:42 PM
PFT is saying that Stafford may have fired Condon?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/14/conflict-of-interest-issue-comes-back-into-focus/

For reasons still not known (but we’re looking into it), NFLPA records as of April 6 identify no agent for Stafford. So either Condon has yet to file the Standard Representation Agreement with Stafford, or something has happened recently to cause the player and the agent to part ways.

Prowler
04-15-2009, 12:08 PM
hmm...a lion off the field as well. atleast he's showing that he isn't big on being sweet talked and can take the steps to get what he wants.

MagicStick20
04-15-2009, 12:11 PM
with that kind of money he better be the next tom brady, that is a **** load to pay a player who hasent even steped on the feiled yet

Halsey
04-15-2009, 12:20 PM
If it's true, it might have something to do with Condon also representing Jason Smith.

Addict
04-15-2009, 01:53 PM
If it's true, it might have something to do with Condon also representing Jason Smith.

could also just be a technical error... strange story.